Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1653208 08/23/19 10:44 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
- Seibert was the ultimate bright spot tonight ... that’s a big step for him (and us)

- Our first team DL was straight dominating ... we destroyed their OL

- In all, our first team D was stout ... a good showing

- Vernon played great, as did Schobert and Richardson.

- Our OL ... not so much. We just seem to get NO push in the run game (when we TRY to run at least)

- Baker was as bad as he could be, which might be a good thing in the long run IMO ... get him refocused and hungry

- Hunt is so more efficient on the edges and as a WR ... he’ll be a good mix for Chubb

- Too many dropped passes from our playmakers ... Srong didn’t do himself any favors tonight, and Higgins didn’t have his usual night

- Braxton miller showed up, but very late in the contest

- I really, really don’t want to see Stanton take any more snaps for us

- The obvious statement: We really need our top playmakers out there with Baker. Teams just blitz him like crazy when they don’t feel there are any consequences

- This was the first time that our poor game management cost us (using our TO’s too early) ... not that it really matters now, but it’s Good for us to see it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
we don't look ready for the season on offense. It looks disorganized.

Defense is going to be scary,

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Seibert is in the drives's seat. I think they'll let the other guy handle the PK duties next week, see how they both practice, then make the decision.

Baker was off on a few throws. A couple were dropped but they weren't easy catches.

Our DL so far looks like a juggernaut. This was my favourite thing about the game.

D'ernest deserves a spot on the 53.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D-line looks ready for prime time.

QB1 looked off but wasn't getting any help from the receivers.

Either our 2nd string WRs are slow as hell or their CBs are amazing in coverage.

Pharaoh Brown is tall. That's all I can really say about him.

Willies drops balls, very disappointing.

I want to keep the Hammer but I know we won't.

Seibert may have gotten a job.

Their 2's & 3's moved the ball practically at will. Our second-half pressure barely worked at all theirs worked every time. Adjustments?

Glad we're not dependent on our twos and threes this season.

Lawrence flashed.

Vernon showed up today.

Smith was seen on several plays.

Braxton showed up.

Freddie looked like he could barely keep his eyes open.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
You can't blame Higgins and Strong, IMO. Baker wasn't sharp.

Hopefully he gets that out of his system, but he needs to work with Brees in the offseason...pick his brain about being a shorter QB. All his high throws are due to being short, IMO. He's overcompensating on his delivery to get it over the lineman.

He's also way too slow going through his reads. He's a tick behind. He's getting to read two when he should be on three. This is all untrained eye stuff. But I've seen QBs who get through their reads quickly. They are basically on read two before they've even set their feet. Baker is such a rhythm thrower that if his first read isn't there, he's already too late because he wants to plant and throw to that first read so badly.

Looks like Seibert has won the job. I hope Joseph catches on with another team.

I think Freddie possibly hurt the team by not playing the starters in game 2.

I think OBJ has possibly hurt the team by being OBJ.

Man, will the season just get here already. We won't know how much any of this matters until we get to game 1.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
--Baker was inaccurate. He was high w/a lot of throws when he was in the pocket. His lack of height has something to do w/that. On the good side, he did a great job of avoiding would be tacklers.

--The OL once again did a very good job of pass blocking. They also were not very good in run blocking. This is becoming a theme.

--Our front seven [starters] dominated TB's OL. Richardson, Vernon, Myles, Chris Smith, Joe, Kirksey all dominated.

--Joe Schobert is a very good player. Great in pass defense. Smart as can be.

--I really liked what Richardson did tonight.

--I hope we were just working on the passing game, but we ignored the running game.

--This Lawrence guy at DT has flashed this preseason. He has a quick first step.

--D'Ernest Johnson should make the roster. I like the dude.

--Strong, Willies, Higgins looked okay..........but they are not OBJ or Landry. I will say that Baker did not do them any favors w/his inaccurate passes.

--Stanton's arm is weak.

--Why didn't Gilbert play? The only reason I can think of is they want to stash him on the Practice Squad. I doubt that that would work. He has shown too much.

--Kush gave up one big pressure to Suh, but otherwise, looked very good in pass pro.

--Braxton made a couple of catches.

--Robert Jackson continues to make big plays on Special teams and has nice size at corner. He probably will not make the team, but this dude has some value in my opinion.

--Looks like T. Mitch beat out Greedy for the starting corner.

--Chris Smith is very underrated by folks on this board.

--We should not use Avery in coverage. No hips.

--Seth DeValve is a bum. Another dumb pick by Sashi.

--Mack Wilson is a good athlete, but he needs to get stronger. He is a liability in traffic.

--This Lamm dude played some LT and he has some potential.

--I'm not sure if Freddie is ready.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I forgot to add these two:

--Seibert won the job in my opinion.

--I wish we would dump this Scottish Hammer experiment. Holding for the kicker is important. So is placing the ball. Let the guy go and keep Colquit.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I never post during games because I don't feel you can adequately watch a game while posting. But, I just clicked on the last page of the Game Day thread and saw a bunch of negative posts about the OL. I also saw Grateful's two posts about two negative plays by our OL on the OL thread in the PFF.

Uhmmmm...........I'm sorry, but that is off-base. Our OL is providing Baker w/way more time than other qbs receive. Way more. Winston was the guy who was under immediate pressure.

I see the way it is going to be......

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
--I wish we would dump this Scottish Hammer experiment. Holding for the kicker is important. So is placing the ball. Let the guy go and keep Colquit.

The guy is a good athlete. For this, i reckon he must be coordinated, and should have the ability to become a good holder. He just has to get comfortable at it.

Colquitt is a great punter. I want to keep him around because he's ridiculously dependable. But the Scottish Hammer will catch on somewhere. He'll be a player in this league IMO.

He just needs to keep on working on receiving snaps and putting the ball down. Over and over and over

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
T
Legend
Legend
T
WR Strong has got to go
Deveroe Lawrence has to Stay

DeValve, hasn't had a series in 3 pre season games,

Harris looked bad.

Perriman should have stayed on the Browns.

Playcalling can't abandon the run,

Mayfields pass selection seemed generic, only one go route or the delay underneath.

Zettel and Eukalue have to Stay.

I like Meander, Coley is a starter

Austin Corbett, if all we had was that series, ohh, just, just find somebody eles, maybe call it the Oneil Cousins award,

Where have you gone Austin Paztor?

Imagine if the Browns had come out, and they ran the ball up and down the field and only threw when they had to?

The defense is set up to stop the pass, I don't know how they will fare vs the run.

I don't like players that don't make plays, or make negative plays and they make teams because of some intangible over guys who actually are out there contributing,

Strong and Ratley have got to Go, is how I feel,

Which means they'll def. get a spot, because there can't be a year when I don't feel like going ape stuff over who makes and doesn't make the team.

They took Myles Garret out almost on play number 4,

All those embarrassment of riches plays by Vernon, were largely without Myles in the game, (If I saw that right)

Braxton Miller is going to be the #3 WR on this team,...
Hey it's "my" thoughts postgame, based on what???

He's got a style, an intangible, he's got a maneuverability as a turn around catch in the belly make a break on a 3rd rate cover corner,
That makes him a very good compliment to Landry and Obj.

Braxton Miller is not as good as Higgans, and Willies is better down field deep on a go route,

I would keep Sheehy Guiseppi, and Ishmail Hyman is my bubble player,
Strong and Ratley give me nothing over replacement players.

I don't think Corbett is good enough to be a backup center, if I only base it on that series he had tonight.

The Browns might have real troubles at TE.

They battled
It's a process
It's the toughest league to get a win in,

Telfer, Charles, and Fells have got to be saying, "What the!" You kept these guys over us?"

If Ricardo Louis, is a , is not enough to make the 2019 off season team, but I think is twice the player Strong or Ratley are, then they got to go.

the other guys, the Guiseppi, and Hyman, and Willies, they are a whole different animal, high energy guys who make teams on effort and a punchers chance,

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Dude............

Legend
Legend
Well, I guess we'll have to show up and play to earn the hype.

The D looked exciting, but the OLine and Baker didn't look so hot, at all.

I'm ok with keeping the rookie kicker & punter.

Everything on D after the starting DLine went out looked rather ho-hum.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I never post during games because I don't feel you can adequately watch a game while posting. But, I just clicked on the last page of the Game Day thread and saw a bunch of negative posts about the OL. I also saw Grateful's two posts about two negative plays by our OL on the OL thread in the PFF.

Uhmmmm...........I'm sorry, but that is off-base. Our OL is providing Baker w/way more time than other qbs receive. Way more. Winston was the guy who was under immediate pressure.

Agree. There were times things broke down quickly, but this one is all on Baker. He looked like he traded in his Quad-Core for a Pentium 3. Terrible in pretty much every aspect. Can't expect these guys to hold blocks for 6 seconds while he stumbles through his reads.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/the rest of your post, but I don't get the OL part. I am not talking about the backups...........I'm talking about the starting OL. They did a very good job in pass pro. Yes, they gave up a couple of pressures, but what OL doesn't?

I really am not getting all the hate for the starting OL.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
FATE #1653234 08/23/19 11:36 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: FATE

Agree. There were times things broke down quickly, but this one is all on Baker. He looked like he traded in his Quad-Core for a Pentium 3. Terrible in pretty much every aspect. Can't expect these guys to hold blocks for 6 seconds while he stumbles through his reads.

Freddie talks a lot and he talks tough, but I wonder if it wise that we are not getting Baker, OBJ, Landry, and Njoku enough reps????

Legend
Legend
Not hate, just the way I felt watching them. It felt like they were giving up pressures as often as the Bucs' OLine; we just got home a lot more than they did.

Add in that I think I can spit farther than the amount of rushing yardage they opened for us and I don't feel it was really their best outing.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you about the run blocking. They were bad. I disagree w/you about the pass blocking. Baker was slow to make reads. On the other hand, our starting D brought immediate pressure.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC: I didn't get a chance to watch tonight's game because i've been "working". But, no matter how it went, I don't think the third pre-season game is an endightment as to what our offense will be.

First, Baker. I don't care how Baker played tonight. I've got all the faith in the world in the guy. I saw what he did last season. He showed me that he was accurate, no matter what height he was. He went through his progressions better than any of the other rookie QBs last year, and better than any rookie QB i've seen in awhile. That's my guy, and that's who i want to follow. If i'm the Browns GM, you couldn't offer me anything that would take Baker away from me. Be-it Pat Mahommes, Carson Wentz, whoever. He's the one for me. And pre-season game is not going to change that feeling for me. No question about it.

Besides losing Kevin Zeitler, our offense has only progressed since last season. At the end of last year, Baker was a good QB. He's only going to be better this season. He made quick reads (for a rookie) last year, he'll make quick reads this year (as he'll have more experience).

We got Odell on the team, and sacraficed Zeitler. Higgins continues to improve. Callaway will be back after Week 4, and he should be better as well (as he came to us relatively cold last year). Njoku is going into his third season.

I've got plenty of faith in this offense. They don't need to play in the 4th preseason game. They're going to be just fine. This is a better offense than last year's. It's also a better team than last year's.

My feelings haven't changed. I don't know what our record will be, but i think we're going to win the division. And a pre-season game isn't going to change that for me (unless there's some sort of drastic injury, god forbid)

Legend
Legend
Baker was indeed slow, and generally off all Half, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on the pass blocking.

In general, the entire O looked like it chugged a bunch of cough syrup and got all dazed and confused before going out there. Nothing clicked; nothing was smooth; nobody had it together.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
Come on, man. You did not watch the game because you are busy and then make a long post that contradicts the posts of people who actually watched the game.

Bad form, bro.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Did anyone see OBJ and Landry on the sidelines and their non-reactions to Baker after he came off the field? Did anyone see the bag of snacks in Landry's hands on the sidelines?

I really am not sure if Freddie is ready?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Vers, I'm sorry but I like the Scottish guy. He has great air time on his punts and with good distance. The returner either called fair catch right off the bat, or di nothing with the return. He also has been trying some field goals. Maybe a two way player with kicking?

Baker was off but a lot of those would have been caught with OBJ and Landry in the game. I saw a few throws that were a bit off the mark, but also throws that those guys would have had separation on and/or would have made the catch. He knew where to go with the ball, most of the time.

I did see him get flustered, and make some desperation throws. I also saw the line break down and force him to stay or get out quick. He stayed a lot and that is where is lack of height showed up. When the pocket collapsed, he had to heave it the best that he could.

I still think we are very vanilla and basic with the offense. I cannot wait until the 8th when we see the full weaponry out there.

Freddie showed some rookie stuff today, but not too worried just yet. I don't have specific examples, but why did we completely abandon the run? Like Vers said, I hope we were testing out the passing game.

I love our front four. Holy crap they are stout. Schobert looked great as well, and man did we get some pressure. Winston is pretty mobile and even when he got away, he wasn't going anywhere. Great pursuit.

Secondary made some great plays as well. We are lucky to have Mitchell and it was nice to see Ward out there.

I have only watched the first half thus far, so these are my thoughts thus far...

I'm ready for real football to start.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Come on, man. You did not watch the game because you are busy and then make a long post that contradicts the posts of people who actually watched the game.

Bad form, bro.

Maybe, I just have been on the phone with my 8 months pregnant wife and following the game via Twitter while sitting on the bridge of a ship at anchor in Galveston.

And reading Twitter and the Board's Gameday Chat, i feel like some people have taken a little too much from this game.

I watched the first two games. I saw the team last season. I'm still as confident as ever, and i think that there's only so much we can learn from a pre-season game. That's all.

Legend
Legend

Freddie talks a lot and he talks tough, but I wonder if it wise that we are not getting Baker, OBJ, Landry, and Njoku enough reps????

I'm torn on OBJ because he's been injured the last two years and seems to be one of those "glass jaw" type players. Everyone else should be out there. Here's food for thought... You're keeping all these players out to preserve them, yet putting your franchise QB in an exponentially more dangerous position because of it. Add to that, accomplishing absolutely nothing in getting ready for the season.

I'm not going all "chicken little" on one preseason game, but there is definitely cause for concern.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That's fine, Petey. But, this is a Postgame Thoughts thread and not a prediction thread. I saw what I saw.

FATE #1653250 08/24/19 12:02 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmmm...............I am not predicting gloom and doom. I just like to provide a balance to the conversation. Looking at things from multiple angles is a good thing.

So...........I can't say I am really concerned, but I can understand if someone else is. I also have to say that it's probably foolish to think that everything is honky-dory.

Hell, I don't know what to think about this team at this point. I'm going to bed. LOL

Legend
Legend

Seriously asking because I was not totally tuned in for the second half. What did I miss? Couldn't have been a bad hold and the two punts I saw were both 55+ in the air...

Legend
Legend
I'm not going to set my hair on fire over one pre-season game, but Baker underwhelmed tonight. Then again, he didn't exactly light it up last pre-season either, but then turned it on when it mattered. Remember, he's out there without his top RB, TE and both WRs, so I feel things will amp up a bit when we're playing for real. His WRs didn't do him any favors either, and it just felt like he was throwing a step too far for everyone. If he looks like this in the regular season, I'll start to worry.

The defense was spectacular. One of the first plays they ran, Myles Garret instantly blew past the Left Tackle, which caused Winston to step up quickly in the pocket ... right into the arms of Vernon who and blown inside of his guy. I laughed like an evil scientist. And then it was more of the same for the rest of the game. Winston was playing scared by the second quarter and you could see him rushing throws. Even the DBs are doing their jobs, because there were several times when Winston actually had time to throw, and he still couldn't find anyone.

Our 2nd and 3rd team D's though looked weaker and weaker as the game went on.

The Special Teams were also fantastic and nearly won us the game. I feel like Seibert finally stepped up and put himself firmly in the drivers seat tonight. Gillan didn't put a foot wrong either. That competition is going to be tough to call. I like the veteran presence and holder reliability of Colquitt, but Gillan was flipping the field in our favor just about every time out. The dude has a leg, and can tackle to boot. Special teams in general had a great game tonight.

I'll take solace in the fact that the weakest links tonight seemed to be our offense that was sitting all our playmakers ... and our third-team defense.

Legend
Legend
I just rewatched all of Baker’s .Baker got all his passes off in less than 3 seconds except 3. The sack in the red zone, the play where he scrambled and was hit late by Suh, and the 3rd and long during the drive where there was a penalty on the punt, as well as the first running play. The takes that he held the ball too long are incorrect imo. The reason he went 10-26 was he was inaccurate as I have ever seen. His receivers didn’t do him any favors when he was able to throw a catchable ball.

The oline played better than I first thought. Kush and Robinson each had a whiff. There were a few plays where Baker had time but had to deal with pressure in his face. One play was the 3rd down throw where his arm got hit and the ball just floated. Tampa did bring a lot of pressure and the only sack given up was a coverage sack. The backs deserve credit as well for their blitz pickup. One thing I should add is I didn’t rewatch the 2nd half where the starting line played three series.

DeValve started the game at fullback. Had a drop on his only pass.

Sheehy had a nice 17 yard punt return, carrying two defenders for the last 5 yards. I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

I thought Blough looked good. I’m thinking him and Gilbert will each get a half next week.

Stanton is going to be the number two. I hope he never has to throw a pass.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's an exhibition game. Nothing to worry about, no solace is necessary.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think the game is a wake up call. Great on paper does not = Great on the field. No one is going to roll for them. Wake up .. drink your coffee .. and go do your jobs.. It's time to stop reading your press clippings and get real.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I overestimated our O-line...or at least underestimated their importance this season. We are not good. And I think Vers is right and we may miss Zeitler more than anticipated. The trade off for Vernon and OBJ might be worth it, but what we have at RG stinks.

I'd expect a move if we are serious about this season.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
nrtu

My thoughts start with considering what I believe Freddie was doing in this game. All just my opinion.

He wanted to look at his 3rd, 4th receivers to determine who moves into contention, or not, as well as to help decide who he's keeping - this based on as close to normal game conditions as he can get, i.e., throw passes and try to move the ball. There was no running game involved with that except to give Hunt some work as he will be sitting after next week. DeErnest got work to see if he's moving past Hilliard.

The OL mostly gave Baker enough time - he was just very off and he knew it which every qb goes through. I believe he reacted to a number of poorly placed throws.

After the first D throttled Tampa Bay, he played a lot of Wilson to see if he can be consistent - he regressed a bit in this game. Davis and Lawrence played well and solidified their standing. I didn't notice Takitaki at all, did he even play?

All in all, IMO, Freddie was using this game to make some future decisions and got some valuable output to consider. A bonus, he also got to see more than normal amount of his kicking game as a result of Baker and the other qb's lack of scoring.

I think some of the comments didn't consider what I interpret as his 'game plan'. Not that anyone's reaction or observation was wrong at all but the overview should be this was a planned shake out of receivers and some others who are either on the bubble or are pushing to move up to second team.

Those who were commented on, either the good or the bad, are what Freddie said was going to be studied on the tape. He even intimated that a lot of the O performance interrelated among the groups, not just one thing made the O performance poor.

Looks like Seibert moved up and if he plays next week that'll confirm, or, if Joseph doesn't match his performance.

Anyway, from what I've seen/heard from Freddie he'll have these guys ready when they meet Tennessee at home.

FATE #1653264 08/24/19 04:48 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B

Seriously asking because I was not totally tuned in for the second half. What did I miss? Couldn't have been a bad hold and the two punts I saw were both 55+ in the air...

I agree. He dropped them inside the 20. One of the announcers credited Colquitt when it was the hammer doing the punting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Jus watching a few highlights of Baker’s mis-throws ... he was high on nearly every one. High and outside when throwing outside of the numbers and high when throwing in between the numbers.

I also thought there were 2 times when he was expecting the WR to “stick/sit” in the zone and the WR didn’t ... obviously we don’t know who’s to blame in those spots

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you have 2 field goal kickers, you have none.

Cut one and move along.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Yeah, it seems like Seibert is the dude here

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems like for years we couldn't keep the oppositions RBs from getting outside while our RBs could never get outside. This D line and Hunt may end that issue.

We'll be fine. O just needs reps. Freddie hopefully knows something we dont.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Buccaneers 13 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard