Thread Like Summary
FATE, MemphisBrownie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#2015648 05/15/2023 3:05 PM
by bonefish
bonefish
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...n-kenny-pickett-deshaun-watso-210120574/

Just finished reading this. Good read.

I understand the why of the ranking. However, I do think it is not as simple as it seems.

Obviously Pickett is last. He has much to prove and the competition is rough. But yes, he is last.

Everyone has Burrow in first place. Then back and forth on DW and Lamar.

Ok. All of this is based upon the last look. However, let's look a little deeper.

Burrow, Lamar and Pickett all have been with one team. Pickett is not in this discussion because he was a rookie.

Burrow and Lamar have played in one system with the same coaching staff and players.

DW situation is completely different. We all know the circumstances.

This year is different because DW knows the team. The coaching staff has had a chance to learn a lot more about DW. He is involved in developing the offense. He will have a full off season to prepare and develop the necessary chemistry. This year should be close to normal for a season preparation.

I think we have to go back and look at DW purely as a quarterback. Forget everything else and look at how he plays the position.

Deshaun Watson is 27 years old. Listed at 6'2" 215 lbs.
Career numbers 31-28-0. 67% completion. 15,641 Yards. 8.2 Y/A. 111 TD's. 41 int's.

How would a scout define the play of DW?

He has decent size. He is athletic with excellent movement skills to avoid rushers. He has a pass first mentality. He wants to throw rather than run. So, if he moves to avoid the rush. He will continue to look to pass downfield.

At times especially when it is called for he is an effective runner. He will not hesitate to run it if running it is necessary.

He has a quick clean release. He has a strong arm and can make every throw. He is accurate with excellent ball placement. He can throw a guy open.
He is a student of the game with the reputation of a hard worker. I believe he would grade high in pre and post snap decisions. He sees the field well.

As a player he is well respected by other players. He is considered an excellent leader both as a pro and when he was a college player.

Looking at DW purely on a skill level as a quarterback. There is little that he can not do. He has never been on a great team. In fact the Texans were bad.

He will be playing this year with the best surrounding talent then he has ever played with.

Right now I would put him behind Burrow because Burrow has great receivers and he has chemistry with them. But Burrow is not as complete of a player as DW is. DW is more skilled. He is more mobile. Just as accurate, and actually has a stronger arm. Overall I would grade DW slightly ahead of Burrow because he can do what Burrow does and do it a little better.

I take nothing away from Burrow. I have great respect for him. I do as well for Lamar. Lamar is different. We know all about him. Lamar is not the passer that Burrow and DW are.

After this season we should revisit this discussion. We can look at fresh results on a even playing field instead of the six games played last year.
Liked Replies
#2015834 May 16th a 05:20 PM
by jfanent
jfanent
Originally Posted by FATE
Who else is looking forward to the first knock-down-drag-out between Jackson and Beckham Jr?

Beckham Sr
2 members like this