Thread Like Summary
dawglover05
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
Jury Orders Trump to Pay Carroll $83.3 Million for Years of Defamation saywhat

The jury found Donald J. Trump had acted maliciously in persistently attacking E. Jean Carroll. He was found liable of sexually abusing her last year.

Jury orders Trump to pay Carroll damages for defamation. Here’s the latest.

A Manhattan jury on Friday ordered former President Donald J. Trump to pay $83.3 million to the writer E. Jean Carroll for defaming her in social media posts, news conferences and even on the campaign trail ever since she first accused him in 2019 of raping her in a department store dressing room decades earlier.

The award included $65 million in punitive damages, which the nine-member jury assessed after finding Mr. Trump, 77, had acted maliciously after Ms. Carroll’s lawyers pointed to Mr. Trump’s persisting in attacks on her, both from the White House and after leaving office.

From the press room, we can’t see any reaction from Trump’s lawyers. They are slumped back in their seats. $83.3 million is a major number. And there may be more to come: In Trump’s other civil trial, the outcome has yet to be determined. Trump could be on the hook for hundreds of millions more.

“I will not comment on the verdict you have reached,” Judge Kaplan says, but he praises the jurors for their attention and focus, saying that they have given “all we can ask.”

In the press room, reporters gasped when the $65 million figure was read out loud.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/26/nyregion/trump-carroll-defamation-trial

All the while the Republican base is singing this in homage to trump.....

Liked Replies
by FATE
FATE
Right. Still a hard sell though...

"There's no precedent for punishing my client with punitive damages before the fact. You can't assume my client will repeat an offense."

Uhhh... your client is Donald Trump. rofl
1 member likes this