DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: superbowldogg Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 12:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/aaron-berry-visits-cleveland-browns/

After being suspended three games in 2012, Aaron Berry got the chance to restart his career under defensive coordinator Mike Pettine with the New York Jets.

Following an ACL injury last summer, Berry could once again get a second chance under Pettine.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, Berry visited the Cleveland Browns on Monday.

Berry was released by the Detroit Lions after a pair of offseason arrests in 2012. After a three-game suspension for a violation of the league’s personal conduct policy, Berry signed with the Jets in October. He appeared in seven games and recorded two tackles. He then tore his ACL in offseason work last July and missed the entire season.

Berry was expected to complete for a starting job with Detroit in 2012 after racking up 31 tackles and 11 passes defensed in 11 games in 2011.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 01:00 PM
He's pretty cheap.. I don't see it as being a big problem... might be nothing more than Fodder... we'll see.
Posted By: eotab Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 01:07 PM
SS???
I don't see him as a SS candidate ..... just depth.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 02:34 PM
Uuuuhhh, no thanks. Guy's picture along with 'character-issues' in the dictionary.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 02:47 PM
Quote:

Uuuuhhh, no thanks. Guy's picture along with 'character-issues' in the dictionary.

Hey, maybe we need a cheap bad boy LOL
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 02:51 PM
Sounds like a defensive version of Davone Bess. Why the hell we even bringing in this guy? Likely hacked up knee and off-field concerns? Sounds like it be should be a big NO making him a part of this roster.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 03:29 PM
Quote:

Sounds like a defensive version of Davone Bess. Why the hell we even bringing in this guy? Likely hacked up knee and off-field concerns? Sounds like it be should be a big NO making him a part of this roster.

He played for Pettine and maybe Mike just wants to see if he's got anything left in the tank. who knows..
cant hurt to look.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 03:42 PM
Quote:

my thoughts as well...surely theres other options. Go from DRC to aaron berry, maybe ralph brown or terry cousins were busy?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 04:17 PM
Quote:

He appeared in seven games and recorded two tackles.

expected to complete for a starting job with Detroit in 2012 after racking up 31 tackles and 11 passes defensed in 11 games in 2011.

Just say no.
My first reaction:

" Get me Chuck, Chuck, this is your cousin, Marvin Berry! You know that new sound you been looking for"

... Just say NO, we've had no success with former Jets in the last 10 years, and a LOT of disappointment. NO! NO! NOOO!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 04:39 PM
Quote:

we've had no success with former Jets in the last 10 years, and a LOT of disappointment

Of all the potential reasons NOT to pick this guy up, that is one that makes no sense at all..
Posted By: bugs Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 05:15 PM
j/c

Aaron can be a strong candidate helping with depth at CB. This guy is hungry. He has one more shot at a multi-year contract.

If I remember, Berry was competing with Bly for a starting job in Detroit until he had issues with the law. He had a bit of bad luck in NY with a torn ACL.

Before his injury, Aaron had speed and was known as a thumper. He may or may not be a threat to take Skrine on the depth chart, but he is an upgrade to what the Browns had at the bottom of the CB depth chart.
Posted By: eotab Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 05:37 PM
Hello McFly!! lol
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 05:38 PM
Quote:

My first reaction:

" Get me Chuck, Chuck, this is your cousin, Marvin Berry! You know that new sound you been looking for"

ok, that made me laugh, hehe

My first reaction was "no way, we don't need that here". After a second, though, I realized that as long as we give him a "Show Me" kinda deal with character clauses that allow us to recoup any money we give him if he screws up, then I don't care at all... give the guy a second chance at the league and see if he can earn a final roster spot.

It's mid-March... there's a whole lotta room on this roster right now.
Posted By: Arps Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 05:42 PM
Quote:

It's mid-March... there's a whole lotta room on this roster right now.

+1
No harm giving him a look.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 08:52 PM
Said he was visiting. Maybe he won a Berea/Parma vacation package. Just doesn't sound like one we need here, maybe just camp kid. We SEND them to the Jets. This better be cheap contract money, because I don't see the attraction meself.
Posted By: bugs Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 11:33 PM
Quote:

Said he was visiting. Maybe he won a Berea/Parma vacation package. Just doesn't sound like one we need here, maybe just camp kid. We SEND them to the Jets. This better be cheap contract money, because I don't see the attraction meself.

Current CB backups are: Julian Posey, Leon McFadden, and Johnson Bademosi. Cleveland added Isaiah Trufant. I think Berry can add competition. Can they find better? Maybe. At the price they may sing Aaron? Doubtful. As I stated, Aaron is hungry. He doesn't make a team he is most likely done.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/18/14 11:39 PM
J/C

I'm tired of people whining about "character". Cincy is full of players that many posters sceamed not to draft (Malaluga,Burfict). Funny, but these guys are good players. To top it off, Cincy has been in the playoffs the last couple years.

I like guys and want guys with good "character", but come on, they are good players, and better than many we have. The league is full of guys with skeletons in their closets. This ain't figure skating, football players need a little attitude.

I swear some of you would be happy with a bunch of pansies, just so your sacred "character" would be in tact.
Anybody that can pop someone in the mouth and not care.. I want on this team..

We gotta start setting the tone here in Cleveland that we have a tough deffense, and don't take crap from no one.
Can you imagine the outrage if Banner had showed interest in this guy? LOL

Now, it's okay.

The guy is a criminal and oft-injured.

Brilliant move by Farmer and Pettine. Right guys?

Once again, y'all are showing your true colors.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:35 AM
Quote:

Can you imagine the outrage if Banner had showed interest in this guy? LOL

Who cares? Only you.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:36 AM
JC

I really don't mind us picking up a questionable defensive player. We still have a great defensive locker room that sets these players straight. Offensive locker room however...
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:37 AM
How does this guy being an idiot off the field make him better on the field, E.Ryze?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:37 AM
If he signes for close to the vet min. with no bonus money I would have been OK with it no matter who signed him.
Dang right I care. It goes a long way in determining the validity of individuals posts.

Why would it be terrible if one regime did a move and it be "okay" if another regime did the exact same move? That reeks of bias.

Bias leads to false conclusions. And that is never a good thing.

Btw.............you can stick your condescending attitude where the sun doesn't shine.
Why bro? The guy is an idiot.

We don't need more of them on defense. We just got rid of one loser in Ward. We still have Haden and Taylor. We need more character guys on D. This guy would not be good for our chemistry.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:47 AM
Quote:

Why would it be terrible if one regime did a move and it be "okay" if another regime did the exact same move? That reeks of bias.

Most people, not including you, would judge the signing on whether they like the player or not and the money that was given. Not on who made the signing.

Quote:

Bias leads to false conclusions. And that is never a good thing.

And least you know why you often aren't taken seriously.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:49 AM
Quote:

We don't need more of them on defense. We just got rid of one loser in Ward. We still have Haden and Taylor. We need more character guys on D. This guy would not be good for our chemistry.

Posted By: Penny Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:51 AM
Vers I am going to respectfully disagree. I think any contract with Berry will have language protecting the club if he is released due to off field digressions. I don't see the down side in a one year prove it contract. If he plays like he did in Detroit we may have a solid 2cb on the cheap. If he is washed up or not worth the headache I would have to believe he would be released quickly.

As for him being an idiot, he did some dumb stuff as a 23 year old. Hopefully with a little age and being away from the game he has learned some humility and will be hungry to prove himself.
Quote:

And least you know why you often aren't taken seriously.

That's a pretty cocky statement. You sure you wanna go there?

I was talking football. You were talking about me. You still are.

You really wanna go there? Just curious?

If you don't, back off. Now.
No problem w/you disagreeing. I'm not saying I am right.

Good argument. Sure beats the argument that cfrs has, which is:

That was sheer brilliance.

No problem, Penny. You could be right. Thanks for debating like an adult rather than a punk kid.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:55 AM
Quote:

You really wanna go there? Just curious?

I don't think it is a stretch to say you are obviously biased against Farmer and were obviously biased in favor of Banner
I am talking about the statement that you made that I am not taken seriously.

Wanna bet on that one, Mouth?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 02:00 AM
I think the reason why people are applauding this move or being happier about it, is that people are willing to give GM's an amount of unacceptable moves. And the firing of Chud just pushed everyone into a threshold of hate.
And there you go..............

It's not about the merits of the actual move, it's about the perception of who made the move.

That's fine. I can accept that.

I simply like to know what types of minds I am dealing with and how they "rationalize" things.
Posted By: Penny Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 02:03 AM
Not defending Vers here but he has had some very positive things to say about Farmer so far.

I don't think pointing out the obvious is biased. People worshipped every move Savage, and Heckert made. 90 percent of what they did was brilliant. Just like 90percent of the post have been thus far with Farmer. The only one that didn't get that honeymoon period was Lombardi because he criticized the Weeden and Gordon picks.

I am sure 90% of those jocking Farmer now will turn on him at the first sign of dysfunction labeling all of his pick ups bust.
Don't defend me, bro. While I appreciate it...........I don't want you to be attacked for siding w/me. I'm cool.

And I like the odds.

Seriously..............a dude telling me that people don't take me seriously.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 02:26 AM
Quote:

The guy did some stupid crap. No arguments from there. I know nothing about him as a person which is why i said vet min and no bonus. If he has his head on straight right now it's a good deal for us. If he doesn't we cut him loose and don't lose anything.
Posted By: predator16 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 03:00 AM
I would sign a guy all day with starting potential for minimum salary just because he has questionable history. It's one thing to have documented history of being detrimental to a team and a locker room cancer. It's another to get in a bar fight and drive drunk while your a 22 year old on top of the world in the NFL. I could give two flips who the GM is. I base my approval or disapproval on the move itself. Anyone who wants to play politics because of the man behind the move is wasting their time. How childish.

Oh and this is coming from a guy with the same charges. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed on this board with such stand up citizens. God knows I'll never change. One night will define me for life.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 03:09 AM
I think that Berry is a meaningless signing as he would be our 4th or 5th corner. Guys like that are needed on the roster.
Quote:

I think that Berry is a meaningless signing as he would be our 4th or 5th corner. Guys like that are needed on the roster.

this. any off the field issues and he will EASILY be gone.. not like he'll be on the field much anyway out side of special teams
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 03:43 AM
Oh Lord if the things I did in my younger years ever hit the national news most people around here would never speak to me again lol
Speaking for only myself ......

I gave Lombardi and Banner a chance when they arrived, and encouraged others to do the same.

The way they dumped Chud, tossing him overboard, when they did little to improve the overall talent of the team, did not sit well with me. I actually agreed with largely standing pat, and seeing what we had. I even agreed with trading ahead to pick up picks in a stronger draft this year.

However, it seemed to me that Banner and Lombardi tossed Chud like a sacrifice when the season didn't show any improvement as far as record is concerned. Further, Banner saying that Chud and staff didn't develop players was absolutely ridiculous IMHO. It stunk of making an excuse to justify a bad decision.

That is my perspective. I know that you disagree, and that's fine. Which one of us is right? Are neither of us right? Who knows?

I loved that Banner was able to get us a 1st round pick for Richardson when it appeared that his career wasn't going to develop into what we hoped it would. I applauded that move. I loved that we were able to improve our standing in this draft by sacrificing lower picks in last year's weaker draft. However, I did not appreciate the way he (they) handled the Chud decision, and think that it was a huge mistake. Now I do like Pettine, and hope that we got a great head coach, but I think that Chud would have been a great head coach. Now we'll never know, as far as him being a great Cleveland Browns coach anyway.

You disagree. Neither of us can say, with absolute certainty, that we are right, and the other is wrong.

I like what Farmer has done so far, and am willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt that I gave Banner and Lombardi. If he makes what I consider to be a huge mistake, or makes what I feel is a malicious, self protective move, then I'll call him on that as well.

Right now, my hope is that Farmer is the exactly right long term GM for the Cleveland Browns, and that Pettine is the exactly right long term head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Time will tell ...... and no matter what does happen, there will be people who disagree vehemently with one another.

No biggie. It's just a message board.
A page long argument about bias just broke over a free agent quarterback coming in for a mere visit?
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 10:57 AM
Quote:

Oh Lord if the things I did in my younger years ever hit the national news most people around here would never speak to me again lol

LOL....you and me both,...God times...good times
yeah we were all young and stupid, some of us have just gotten older though

like you said ...good times.
Quote:

Speaking for only myself ......

I gave Lombardi and Banner a chance when they arrived, and encouraged others to do the same.

The way they dumped Chud, tossing him overboard, when they did little to improve the overall talent of the team, did not sit well with me. I actually agreed with largely standing pat, and seeing what we had. I even agreed with trading ahead to pick up picks in a stronger draft this year.

However, it seemed to me that Banner and Lombardi tossed Chud like a sacrifice when the season didn't show any improvement as far as record is concerned. Further, Banner saying that Chud and staff didn't develop players was absolutely ridiculous IMHO. It stunk of making an excuse to justify a bad decision.

That is my perspective. I know that you disagree, and that's fine. Which one of us is right? Are neither of us right? Who knows?

I loved that Banner was able to get us a 1st round pick for Richardson when it appeared that his career wasn't going to develop into what we hoped it would. I applauded that move. I loved that we were able to improve our standing in this draft by sacrificing lower picks in last year's weaker draft. However, I did not appreciate the way he (they) handled the Chud decision, and think that it was a huge mistake. Now I do like Pettine, and hope that we got a great head coach, but I think that Chud would have been a great head coach. Now we'll never know, as far as him being a great Cleveland Browns coach anyway.

You disagree. Neither of us can say, with absolute certainty, that we are right, and the other is wrong.

I like what Farmer has done so far, and am willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt that I gave Banner and Lombardi. If he makes what I consider to be a huge mistake, or makes what I feel is a malicious, self protective move, then I'll call him on that as well.

Right now, my hope is that Farmer is the exactly right long term GM for the Cleveland Browns, and that Pettine is the exactly right long term head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Time will tell ...... and no matter what does happen, there will be people who disagree vehemently with one another.

No biggie. It's just a message board.

Dang, well said Y'Town

It seems the amount of rope one gives a new regime is inversely proportional to how well you liked the previous regime, that just seems like an odd line of reasoning to me.
Posted By: eotab Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 11:51 AM
Just clicking

One thing I thought was just plain wrong was that last year we didn't get the Coaching staff any depth.

We had Banner even give a presser - stating how the 15plus UDFA rookies he brought in and out of the rosters was sort of a football Money Ball. How 1st round picks n 2nd round picks dominated the Pro-Bowl but the next grouping of numbers in the pro bowl was made up of UDFA. At the time I praised Banner as it was obvious a move for the future. I was outraged when our coaching staff was held accountable for losing a bevy of close games.

I've said it before that teams would come out in half time and attack our weaknesses. That was inexperience after our 2 CBs so they would force us to bring them out...for everyone we would have to bring out in a nickel dime look was a strength of our D coming out...usually a DLman.

Also our inability for coverage on TE and RB by our LB and sometimes SS.

What I do like is that Farmer is righting the mistakes of the past regime. We are adding some veteran depth. Truphant who is not a Pro bowler but we are looking for him to upgrade Owens who went on the IR. This kid who had some issues but sometimes people have to hit the bottom before they right themselves. If he has made the decision to be righteous he could turn out to be a good addition. We got a cover SS in Whitner and we got a cover LB in Dansby - and we are a little veteran depth not a bevy of UDFA's.

Banner's move would have been just fine with me if they didn't fire the Staff for the results. But they did ergo it was now a BAD MOVE.

I got no agenda except to love my Browns and who lead them and who play for them.

as always JMHO
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 11:58 AM
Quote:

I'm already set to put you on Ignore
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 12:37 PM
I don't know Verse.

I seem to recall how you lambasted Gordon and how we were "One play away from losing him for the season", which is true.

But now are using the rationale that having a #1 WR in Gordon means we don't need to draft a #1 WR at the #4 draft pick.

Just bustin' your chops man.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 01:40 PM
The sample size is small, but Banner also set something of a precedent during his short time regarding draftees with character concerns. He drafted that Dlineman guy (the other Bryant? I don't remember his name) in the 7th round that had character flags. Then the guy got busted shortly after the draft, and Banner and the FO stuck with him.

That was a good move, despite the fact that NOBODY would've given a second thought if the kid was kicked to the curb. He looks like he's going to be a productive player, and we haven't heard boo about him off the field since.

Back to Trufant. I thought that someone mentioned that Pettine has worked with this guy in the past. Previous history, plus the fact that he's a low-level guy who will only require a low-risk contract makes this potential signing a well-calculated risk, not a blind jump.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 05:50 PM
Quote:

Back to Trufant. I thought that someone mentioned that Pettine has worked with this guy in the past. Previous history, plus the fact that he's a low-level guy who will only require a low-risk contract makes this potential signing a well-calculated risk, not a blind jump.

Indeed, when Pettine was with the Jets, Trufant was there. I believe he'll get some reps at corner, maybe win the #3 spot (imo, a long stretch), provide some depth there - but be more an impact of special teams. It was a good pickup at the contract he was given.
Posted By: BleedsOrange Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 05:58 PM
He's got starting potential and he knows the defense. Don't think this is a sign that we may trade someone though. If we sign him we'll bring him in camp and let the d-line sort itself out. That's how it should be anyways.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 06:04 PM
Quote:

The sample size is small, but Banner also set something of a precedent during his short time regarding draftees with character concerns.

The thing is, Banner is gone as is the HC, GM, DC and OC.

This is an entire new regime and they will more likely than not set their own precedence. I don't believe there is any evidence which way they will go in this regard.
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed, when Pettine was with the Jets, Trufant was there. I believe he'll get some reps at corner, maybe win the #3 spot (imo, a long stretch), provide some depth there - but be more an impact of special teams. It was a good pickup at the contract he was given.

I think that Trufant is a special teams guy, period. He might be an emergency dime CB ...... but one story on his signing said that he gave up an appalling percentage of completions to passes thrown against him. Maybe he'll be a backup dime guy ...... but I think that he'll be a fixture on teams more than anything else.
Quote:

I think that Trufant is a special teams guy, period. He might be an emergency dime CB

exactly. and, there is nothing wrong with it either. we signed him to such a deal, he is such a player, and if he can help teach some of the secondary the defense in the coaching blackout period, then all the better. but, if he is starting CB for our team, then we are in trouble.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 07:28 PM
Correct.

I clicked on you, but I was talking to Vers as I was writing my response.

Sorry for the confusion.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 08:26 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You already do that in the bar
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 09:30 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You already do that in the bar

Well, if you'd quit convincing me to pull your finger, I'd be your friend again
Posted By: 214dawg Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 09:33 PM
How did you survive the first pull?
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 09:53 PM
Quote:

It seems the amount of rope one gives a new regime is inversely proportional to how well you liked the previous regime...

Truer words were never spoken, tld...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/19/14 10:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It seems the amount of rope one gives a new regime is inversely proportional to how well you liked the previous regime...

Truer words were never spoken, tld...

I don't really think so. At least not with me.

This regime really doesn't have a track record or resume' at their respective jobs with which to draw an opinion of. It's hard to form a solid opinion based on so little evidence.

I thought Heckert did an average job, but I didn't like Shurmer or the Walrus.

When Banner and Lombardi got here, everything I saw indicated that Banner was more of a bean counter and Lombardi had a terrible record as an NFL GM.

The new regime? I'll give them enough rope to hang themselves simply because there really isn't a wealth of information, or any information really as to doing their respective jobs. We'll see.

I'm not a fan of failing to address the G position or the CB position in the FA market. But I do like most of the signings they made. But there's a lot of the story left to tell.

JMHO
Quote:

He didn't. He's just too lazy to change his name to "dazombieshot".
GM has had his finger pulled so much..his hands look like ET's
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/20/14 12:08 PM
Quote:

I didn't! I've been dead for months now
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns - 03/20/14 12:59 PM
I'm with you, Pit. I'm probably a little biased (everyone is), but I really try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt out of the gate.

I was a big Heckert fan, but looking back that might've been because I hadn't seen decent drafting is such a long time. I really wish that TRich/Weeden first round never happened, because then Heckert's record here would've been as close to perfect as can be expected. Oh well.

I really had to try hard to like Shurmer at first (but try I did!). He was just such a little wimp. Him not handing over the playcalling or OC duties in his first year, and then still not handing them over once we got an OC just screamed insecurity (or, at least that he was a guy that was incapable of delegating).

The Walrus I really liked at first. I know it doesn't mean anything, but he brought instant credibility in terms of the national media, so it was nice to read nice things about the Browns. My opinion of him started turning when he hired Shurmer (specifically, the whole leadup of that hire, with the agents and Shurmer's dad, etc.).

Banner was another guy that rubbed me the wrong way at first. The way he looked and talked during interviews made me feel like I couldn't trust a single word out of this guy's mouth. The way he consolidated power and basically made himself Emperor of the Browns also rubbed me wrong. Still, I viewed him as one of those guys that tip-toes the line between shrewd and slimy, so I was just glad that he was on my team (vs working against us). His hire of Lombardi was terrible, but it was mitigated by his other hires, so that's either a wash or a + for Banner. The TRich trade was awesome. His handling of Chud (and, according to Whizenhunt, coaches in general) was poor. I guess I'm not really sure how I feel about Banner at this point. He did a lot of good and a lot of bad.

Lombardi sucks.

The new new guys? I dunno. I guess my initial impression is that I like them, but I'm very leery. Lots of inexperience in crucial areas. Pettine is not a tried and true head coach. I like his attitude, but I'd have liked a guy with a little better history. My initial impression of Farmer was also positive, but he's also a little too green for my liking. He doesn't have a track record of picking out talent from the college ranks, so I guess we'll have to see how he does there.
© DawgTalkers.net