Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think that Berry is a meaningless signing as he would be our 4th or 5th corner. Guys like that are needed on the roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that Berry is a meaningless signing as he would be our 4th or 5th corner. Guys like that are needed on the roster.

this. any off the field issues and he will EASILY be gone.. not like he'll be on the field much anyway out side of special teams

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Oh Lord if the things I did in my younger years ever hit the national news most people around here would never speak to me again lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Speaking for only myself ......

I gave Lombardi and Banner a chance when they arrived, and encouraged others to do the same.

The way they dumped Chud, tossing him overboard, when they did little to improve the overall talent of the team, did not sit well with me. I actually agreed with largely standing pat, and seeing what we had. I even agreed with trading ahead to pick up picks in a stronger draft this year.

However, it seemed to me that Banner and Lombardi tossed Chud like a sacrifice when the season didn't show any improvement as far as record is concerned. Further, Banner saying that Chud and staff didn't develop players was absolutely ridiculous IMHO. It stunk of making an excuse to justify a bad decision.

That is my perspective. I know that you disagree, and that's fine. Which one of us is right? Are neither of us right? Who knows?

I loved that Banner was able to get us a 1st round pick for Richardson when it appeared that his career wasn't going to develop into what we hoped it would. I applauded that move. I loved that we were able to improve our standing in this draft by sacrificing lower picks in last year's weaker draft. However, I did not appreciate the way he (they) handled the Chud decision, and think that it was a huge mistake. Now I do like Pettine, and hope that we got a great head coach, but I think that Chud would have been a great head coach. Now we'll never know, as far as him being a great Cleveland Browns coach anyway.

You disagree. Neither of us can say, with absolute certainty, that we are right, and the other is wrong.

I like what Farmer has done so far, and am willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt that I gave Banner and Lombardi. If he makes what I consider to be a huge mistake, or makes what I feel is a malicious, self protective move, then I'll call him on that as well.

Right now, my hope is that Farmer is the exactly right long term GM for the Cleveland Browns, and that Pettine is the exactly right long term head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Time will tell ...... and no matter what does happen, there will be people who disagree vehemently with one another.

No biggie. It's just a message board.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
A page long argument about bias just broke over a free agent quarterback coming in for a mere visit?

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Oh Lord if the things I did in my younger years ever hit the national news most people around here would never speak to me again lol

LOL....you and me both,...God times...good times

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah we were all young and stupid, some of us have just gotten older though

like you said ...good times.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Speaking for only myself ......

I gave Lombardi and Banner a chance when they arrived, and encouraged others to do the same.

The way they dumped Chud, tossing him overboard, when they did little to improve the overall talent of the team, did not sit well with me. I actually agreed with largely standing pat, and seeing what we had. I even agreed with trading ahead to pick up picks in a stronger draft this year.

However, it seemed to me that Banner and Lombardi tossed Chud like a sacrifice when the season didn't show any improvement as far as record is concerned. Further, Banner saying that Chud and staff didn't develop players was absolutely ridiculous IMHO. It stunk of making an excuse to justify a bad decision.

That is my perspective. I know that you disagree, and that's fine. Which one of us is right? Are neither of us right? Who knows?

I loved that Banner was able to get us a 1st round pick for Richardson when it appeared that his career wasn't going to develop into what we hoped it would. I applauded that move. I loved that we were able to improve our standing in this draft by sacrificing lower picks in last year's weaker draft. However, I did not appreciate the way he (they) handled the Chud decision, and think that it was a huge mistake. Now I do like Pettine, and hope that we got a great head coach, but I think that Chud would have been a great head coach. Now we'll never know, as far as him being a great Cleveland Browns coach anyway.

You disagree. Neither of us can say, with absolute certainty, that we are right, and the other is wrong.

I like what Farmer has done so far, and am willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt that I gave Banner and Lombardi. If he makes what I consider to be a huge mistake, or makes what I feel is a malicious, self protective move, then I'll call him on that as well.

Right now, my hope is that Farmer is the exactly right long term GM for the Cleveland Browns, and that Pettine is the exactly right long term head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Time will tell ...... and no matter what does happen, there will be people who disagree vehemently with one another.

No biggie. It's just a message board.

Dang, well said Y'Town

It seems the amount of rope one gives a new regime is inversely proportional to how well you liked the previous regime, that just seems like an odd line of reasoning to me.

#gmstrong

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just clicking

One thing I thought was just plain wrong was that last year we didn't get the Coaching staff any depth.

We had Banner even give a presser - stating how the 15plus UDFA rookies he brought in and out of the rosters was sort of a football Money Ball. How 1st round picks n 2nd round picks dominated the Pro-Bowl but the next grouping of numbers in the pro bowl was made up of UDFA. At the time I praised Banner as it was obvious a move for the future. I was outraged when our coaching staff was held accountable for losing a bevy of close games.

I've said it before that teams would come out in half time and attack our weaknesses. That was inexperience after our 2 CBs so they would force us to bring them out...for everyone we would have to bring out in a nickel dime look was a strength of our D coming out...usually a DLman.

Also our inability for coverage on TE and RB by our LB and sometimes SS.

What I do like is that Farmer is righting the mistakes of the past regime. We are adding some veteran depth. Truphant who is not a Pro bowler but we are looking for him to upgrade Owens who went on the IR. This kid who had some issues but sometimes people have to hit the bottom before they right themselves. If he has made the decision to be righteous he could turn out to be a good addition. We got a cover SS in Whitner and we got a cover LB in Dansby - and we are a little veteran depth not a bevy of UDFA's.

Banner's move would have been just fine with me if they didn't fire the Staff for the results. But they did ergo it was now a BAD MOVE.

I got no agenda except to love my Browns and who lead them and who play for them.

as always JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm already set to put you on Ignore

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know Verse.

I seem to recall how you lambasted Gordon and how we were "One play away from losing him for the season", which is true.

But now are using the rationale that having a #1 WR in Gordon means we don't need to draft a #1 WR at the #4 draft pick.

Just bustin' your chops man.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The sample size is small, but Banner also set something of a precedent during his short time regarding draftees with character concerns. He drafted that Dlineman guy (the other Bryant? I don't remember his name) in the 7th round that had character flags. Then the guy got busted shortly after the draft, and Banner and the FO stuck with him.

That was a good move, despite the fact that NOBODY would've given a second thought if the kid was kicked to the curb. He looks like he's going to be a productive player, and we haven't heard boo about him off the field since.

Back to Trufant. I thought that someone mentioned that Pettine has worked with this guy in the past. Previous history, plus the fact that he's a low-level guy who will only require a low-risk contract makes this potential signing a well-calculated risk, not a blind jump.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Back to Trufant. I thought that someone mentioned that Pettine has worked with this guy in the past. Previous history, plus the fact that he's a low-level guy who will only require a low-risk contract makes this potential signing a well-calculated risk, not a blind jump.

Indeed, when Pettine was with the Jets, Trufant was there. I believe he'll get some reps at corner, maybe win the #3 spot (imo, a long stretch), provide some depth there - but be more an impact of special teams. It was a good pickup at the contract he was given.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
He's got starting potential and he knows the defense. Don't think this is a sign that we may trade someone though. If we sign him we'll bring him in camp and let the d-line sort itself out. That's how it should be anyways.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The sample size is small, but Banner also set something of a precedent during his short time regarding draftees with character concerns.

The thing is, Banner is gone as is the HC, GM, DC and OC.

This is an entire new regime and they will more likely than not set their own precedence. I don't believe there is any evidence which way they will go in this regard.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed, when Pettine was with the Jets, Trufant was there. I believe he'll get some reps at corner, maybe win the #3 spot (imo, a long stretch), provide some depth there - but be more an impact of special teams. It was a good pickup at the contract he was given.

I think that Trufant is a special teams guy, period. He might be an emergency dime CB ...... but one story on his signing said that he gave up an appalling percentage of completions to passes thrown against him. Maybe he'll be a backup dime guy ...... but I think that he'll be a fixture on teams more than anything else.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think that Trufant is a special teams guy, period. He might be an emergency dime CB

exactly. and, there is nothing wrong with it either. we signed him to such a deal, he is such a player, and if he can help teach some of the secondary the defense in the coaching blackout period, then all the better. but, if he is starting CB for our team, then we are in trouble.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Correct.

I clicked on you, but I was talking to Vers as I was writing my response.

Sorry for the confusion.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You already do that in the bar

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You already do that in the bar

Well, if you'd quit convincing me to pull your finger, I'd be your friend again

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How did you survive the first pull?

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It seems the amount of rope one gives a new regime is inversely proportional to how well you liked the previous regime...

Truer words were never spoken, tld...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

It seems the amount of rope one gives a new regime is inversely proportional to how well you liked the previous regime...

Truer words were never spoken, tld...

I don't really think so. At least not with me.

This regime really doesn't have a track record or resume' at their respective jobs with which to draw an opinion of. It's hard to form a solid opinion based on so little evidence.

I thought Heckert did an average job, but I didn't like Shurmer or the Walrus.

When Banner and Lombardi got here, everything I saw indicated that Banner was more of a bean counter and Lombardi had a terrible record as an NFL GM.

The new regime? I'll give them enough rope to hang themselves simply because there really isn't a wealth of information, or any information really as to doing their respective jobs. We'll see.

I'm not a fan of failing to address the G position or the CB position in the FA market. But I do like most of the signings they made. But there's a lot of the story left to tell.

JMHO

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He didn't. He's just too lazy to change his name to "dazombieshot".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
GM has had his finger pulled so much..his hands look like ET's

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I didn't! I've been dead for months now

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm with you, Pit. I'm probably a little biased (everyone is), but I really try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt out of the gate.

I was a big Heckert fan, but looking back that might've been because I hadn't seen decent drafting is such a long time. I really wish that TRich/Weeden first round never happened, because then Heckert's record here would've been as close to perfect as can be expected. Oh well.

I really had to try hard to like Shurmer at first (but try I did!). He was just such a little wimp. Him not handing over the playcalling or OC duties in his first year, and then still not handing them over once we got an OC just screamed insecurity (or, at least that he was a guy that was incapable of delegating).

The Walrus I really liked at first. I know it doesn't mean anything, but he brought instant credibility in terms of the national media, so it was nice to read nice things about the Browns. My opinion of him started turning when he hired Shurmer (specifically, the whole leadup of that hire, with the agents and Shurmer's dad, etc.).

Banner was another guy that rubbed me the wrong way at first. The way he looked and talked during interviews made me feel like I couldn't trust a single word out of this guy's mouth. The way he consolidated power and basically made himself Emperor of the Browns also rubbed me wrong. Still, I viewed him as one of those guys that tip-toes the line between shrewd and slimy, so I was just glad that he was on my team (vs working against us). His hire of Lombardi was terrible, but it was mitigated by his other hires, so that's either a wash or a + for Banner. The TRich trade was awesome. His handling of Chud (and, according to Whizenhunt, coaches in general) was poor. I guess I'm not really sure how I feel about Banner at this point. He did a lot of good and a lot of bad.

Lombardi sucks.

The new new guys? I dunno. I guess my initial impression is that I like them, but I'm very leery. Lots of inexperience in crucial areas. Pettine is not a tried and true head coach. I like his attitude, but I'd have liked a guy with a little better history. My initial impression of Farmer was also positive, but he's also a little too green for my liking. He doesn't have a track record of picking out talent from the college ranks, so I guess we'll have to see how he does there.

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard