DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:01 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/chiefs-surprisingly-release-receiver-jeremy-maclin-234912177.html

Is he worth a look?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:06 AM
Couldn't hurt.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:14 AM
It would give us a good veteran at the position .. maybe a 2 year contract.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:18 AM
I would, especially since Coleman is suspect.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:31 AM
I'd sign him in a heart beat. He had a groin injury last year, but that dude is a very, very good WR.

I am really surprised the Chiefs would release him.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:33 AM
Eh, groin injuries...

Price is fair, then absolutely depending how he has recovered from the groin injury.
Posted By: Swish Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:34 AM
i'm not surprised.

Alex smith doesn't like throwing to WR's. TE's is where it's at with him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:34 AM
Are groin injuries multi-year injuries?

And I thought he came back during the season after suffering the injury early on? Am I wrong?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:35 AM
Well, I think it's about money. LOL

I hope we sign the guy. He's good.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:39 AM
I expect he will have a lot of suitors.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:42 AM
No, I don't think a signing makes sense for him or the Browns.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:44 AM
I think it makes sense for the Browns, not sure it makes sense with Macklin, unless we show him the money.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Are groin injuries multi-year injuries?

And I thought he came back during the season after suffering the injury early on? Am I wrong?

Depending on how the injury is handled...

And no, you're not wrong, but did he come back full go? Or was he third on the team's chart in receptions after a huge franchise record setting year in 2015?

I'm not saying he sucks, definitely not saying that - but I'm not prepared to give him a lot of money and or truthfully, a multi-year contract over two years.

This is all JMO of course.

EDIT

Then again, with hamstring Coleman always sidelined... perhaps we should give a more deeper look. Good point whoever said that, sometimes I forget we even have Coleman on the team.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:46 AM
Is that you, Mr., Haslam? Worrying about spending your money? wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:49 AM
Yeah, he probably won't want to come here..........but, we do have the money.

I think he is a very good WR and our WR unit is pretty awful. It probably won't happen, but I can hope.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:57 AM
he definitely would be an upgrade, and we do have the money.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 01:09 AM
What was the reason for his release?

Are they that desperate for cap relief?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 01:36 AM
Yes, I think so combined w/a drop in his numbers last year.

It's a very surprising move, though.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 01:41 AM
I'm a Maclin pimp...Dude runs sharp routes has really nice hands and has speed for his 6'0 205lb frame...

Coming off an injury riddled year and we all know Alex Smith and WRs don't match very well...

I'D take him in a heartbeat...right now we may have the worst WR core in the NFL...adding Maclin would definitely help shore up that weakness and give a compliment to whomever our young QB will be.

Dude is also very likeable and always said to excel in the locker room and off the field as well...would be a huge signing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 01:45 AM
I really like the part about him being an excellent route runner. We have young qbs and not having guys who run good routes is an issue. Maclin would be a huge asset to one of our young qbs.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 01:55 AM
I'd sign him in a heart beat. He had a groin injury last year, but that dude is a very, very good WR.

I am really surprised the Chiefs would release him.

In 24 years, (ok,21.5) , do you remember saying this about any other potential free agent?

Does any other board member remember Vers. saying this about a potential free agent. I don't .
I think this is significant, we're talking about Vers. here. He/You doesn't/don't usually jump in with both feet like this.
This must be an unusually big opportunity.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 02:03 AM
I would absolutely bring him in for a workout
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 02:26 AM
I really like the part about him being an excellent route runner. We have young qbs and not having guys who run good routes is an issue. Maclin would be a huge asset to one of our young qbs.

Yeah Vers...I totally agree, we have one yes one WR that knows how to run NFL tree route...that is with Kenny Britt...behind him Coleman, Louis, Higgins, Payton and some other scrubs...Im sorry but IMO I don't think that will get the job done. We need to bring in someone that knows how to win around a corner and we can obtain that with Maclin...He surely would lift the need and is a win win all around...Improves Wideout unit, aids our young QB, and helps the locker room. I'll be disappointed if we don't bring him in for a visit/contract
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 02:31 AM
He might not want to come here, though. We really don't have a qb and we only won one game last year.

The good thing is that we have Hue and players seem to love him. Plus, he'd be the man here.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 04:05 AM
As much as we might like Maclin to sign here, this doesn't have the feel of a likely match. He's likely looking for a place to get a ring.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 04:14 AM
Maclin seems like he'd fit perfectly with the team. I don't think we have a chance at him.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:02 AM
Instant sign imo. It'd be nice to have a WR who knows how to play the position at an NFL level.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 07:57 AM
I can see a contending team like Carolina, Minnesota, Washington, etc look at him. I doubt he'll want to look here, unless we offer the most by a lot.
Posted By: predator16 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 11:20 AM
With all the publicity from players coming out about shocking the world, who knows, maybe we have a shot. I know he's 29 but if offer him a very heavy 4 year deal with an out of the last year in a heartbeat. His contract would just swap out with Haden when he gets cut next year lol
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 11:25 AM
J/C

You first have to look to see if he fits the mold.

I doubt he will be looking for less than 4 years. He is 29 years old....to be that puts him with 2 years in the mold, 2 out. Receivers can usually play past 30, so lets say that gives him 3 in the mold. It usually isn't hard to cut guys ion the last year of a contract, so I think he fits from that perspective.

What I am saying is that if we decide to pass on him, it probably isn't because we feel he is past his prime. I'd call his agent and kick the tires, so to speak, unless there is other information out there that we simply have no way of knowing, and insiders do.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 11:52 AM
He might not want to come here, though. We really don't have a qb and we only won one game last year.

The good thing is that we have Hue and players seem to love him. Plus, he'd be the man here.

Yeah true...I'm sure we are still the last place a player would want to sign with...But like you said, I think Maclin can step in (rather easily) and outplay CC and Kenny Britt...our trio of WR's would look more on par with the rest of the NFL.

But if he is chasing a ring...I'm sure someone else would land him, as he literally has zero chance of obtaining that here. Heck, just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo goes after him hard.
Posted By: predator16 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:06 PM
Buffalo is chasing a ring? I stood up for their but we have the assets to chase way before they do.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:09 PM
I don't think he meant it that way. I think they were two different thoughts, but he put them in the same paragraph. He's a pretty smart guy who has a lot of good takes on football.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: predator16
Buffalo is chasing a ring? I stood up for their but we have the assets to chase way before they do.

No Predator, I just think Buffalo has voids in their WR core that are pretty severe (much like we do) Sammy Watkins is hurt (Goodwin and Robert Woods left, Harvin retired, Chris Hogan left last year) I know they drafted a WR...But I could just see them pushing for Maclin...And no worries I dont see them going to a super bowl anytime soon, however they are more of a solid team compared to our Browns.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:49 PM
I don't think he meant it that way. I think they were two different thoughts, but he put them in the same paragraph. He's a pretty smart guy who has a lot of good takes on football.

Appreciated Vers smile
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 12:54 PM
Looks like you are correct...cap move.

The move, which came after the Chiefs wrapped up the second week of voluntary workouts, saves them $10 million in salary-cap space because Maclin was cut after June 1; they had just $3.5 million available before.

link:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19523880/jeremy-maclin-released-kansas-city-chiefs-two-seasons
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 01:12 PM
all things being equal, would you rather have Britt or Maclin?
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
J/C

You first have to look to see if he fits the mold.

I doubt he will be looking for less than 4 years. He is 29 years old....to be that puts him with 2 years in the mold, 2 out. Receivers can usually play past 30, so lets say that gives him 3 in the mold. It usually isn't hard to cut guys ion the last year of a contract, so I think he fits from that perspective.

What I am saying is that if we decide to pass on him, it probably isn't because we feel he is past his prime. I'd call his agent and kick the tires, so to speak, unless there is other information out there that we simply have no way of knowing, and insiders do.

Offer him the same deal we did Pryor.. if he takes it .. Great.. if not.. we offered him a good deal and he went elsewhere.

Same age.. 29 .. same deal .. and Maclin is the better player with far more experience..
Posted By: bonefish Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 03:23 PM

From what you read in KC sounds like a money thing.

The Browns should jump on Maclin. He could help them as long as he clears a medical.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 03:35 PM
His production has dropped across the board
He peaked 3 years ago.
He's worth a look but not at 9 mil a year.
He's not the big play threat he used to be
He's a number #3 WR at best now
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
As much as we might like Maclin to sign here, this doesn't have the feel of a likely match. He's likely looking for a place to get a ring.

He can get a Super Bowl Ring here.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Is Terrelle Pryor an option, is Josh Gordon, how about all 4.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Is Terrelle Pryor an option, is Josh Gordon, how about all 4.
if we're going to rate all 4 based on who I'd want:

1. Gordon
2. Pryor
3. Maclin

4. Britt
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Yeah true...I'm sure we are still the last place a player would want to sign with...But like you said, I think Maclin can step in (rather easily) and outplay CC and Kenny Britt...our trio of WR's would look more on par with the rest of the NFL.

But if he is chasing a ring...I'm sure someone else would land him, as he literally has zero chance of obtaining that here.

I'm telling you he literally DOES have a chance of obtaining a Super Bowl Ring here.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:06 PM

I don't think it's even close. Maclin in a landslide.

The good thing is we could have both.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:13 PM

but will we want to spend that much on the WR position in one offseason? Maybe the Britt signing will prohibit us from going after Maclin.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:15 PM
We have the money. If we are worried more about money than wins..........then it is what it is. Hopefully, that isn't the case.

And again, I am not saying that he will sign w/us. I'm just hoping we go after him and he accepts.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:17 PM
We have the money. If we are worried more about money than wins..........then it is what it is. Hopefully, that isn't the case.

And again, I am not saying that he will sign w/us. I'm just hoping we go after him and he accepts.
I'm with you. Maclin is way better than Britt (not a Britt fan at all) ... just hoping that one signing doesn't affect the chance of the other.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:19 PM

This absolutely is important, especially with receivers. Whenever you have a group of 3 or 4 where the degree of which one is better is debateable, the ability to have them "both" or "together" makes each individual better in the long run; because at any given time it's going to require more from the defense to focus on two threats than to devote all it's attention onto one threat.
Two heads are better than one. And somebody's going to get some time vs. lesser coverage skills.

Harder to defend, 3 guys rated 7 on a 1-10 scale, than to defend 1 guy rated 9 and 2 guys rated 5.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:51 PM
If we do sign Maclin our WR group goes from fair to pretty good. Definitely an upgrade.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If we do sign Maclin our WR group goes from fair to pretty good. Definitely an upgrade.
well, it would be:

Maclin
Britt
Coleman
Louis
Higgins
Devalve
Payton

who else am I missing?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:00 PM
Someone mentioned that are WR unit might be the worst in the league.

I'm wondering who is worse than our right now---on paper?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:15 PM
well, it would be:

Maclin
Britt
Coleman
Louis
Higgins
Devalve
Payton

who else am I missing?

That list is about as bad as it gets.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:16 PM
Even with Maclin.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:25 PM
Spent several minutes thinking about our Wide Receivers and if they are the worst in the league.

Certainly, one of the worst. The 49ers and Rams are really bad, too.

We really could use Maclin.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:29 PM
I know that's only one position group, but with no QB and position groups like WR and Secondary looking so awful on paper, all I can think about is the Browns are going to be really bad.

Really bad.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:33 PM

The Jets WR unit looks worse on paper

Eric Decker
Ardarius Stewart
Charone Peake
Jalin Marshall

Quincy Enunwa
Robby Anderson
Chad Hansen
Devin Smith
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

The Jets WR unit looks worse on paper

Eric Decker
Ardarius Stewart
Charone Peake
Jalin Marshall

Quincy Enunwa
Robby Anderson
Chad Hansen
Devin Smith

And Devin Smith is already on IR with a torn ACL.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:39 PM
Hopefully, some of our 2nd year guys will step up and show improvement. KB is a decent wr and Coleman does have some talent. Trying to be optimistic. There is some potential here.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 06:57 PM
Hopefully, some of our 2nd year guys will step up and show improvement. KB is a decent wr and Coleman does have some talent. Trying to be optimistic. There is some potential here.

I think Ricardo Lewis will be much improved in year 2 also. He was a solid player at Auburn and has good run after catch ability.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 07:26 PM

Or... we'll just throw every pass to Njoku because the kid looks to be a potential monster.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Or... we'll just throw every pass to Njoku because the kid looks to be a potential monster.

Maybe not every pass, but I could see him get 80-90 targets.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 10:05 PM
ESPN: Browns a potential fit for Jeremy Maclin

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-Browns-a-potential-fit-for-Jeremy-Maclin-53012214

In a shocking move, the Kansas City Chiefs elected to part ways with wide receiver Jeremy Maclin Friday.

ESPN's Dan Graziano explains that the Cleveland Browns could be a fit for the Missouri native.

"If you're still dreaming of a Josh Gordon return, you haven't been paying attention. Cleveland's starters appear to be 2016 first-rounder Corey Coleman and free-agent signee Kenny Britt. They also picked pass-catching tight end David Njoku in the first round in April. But none of that prevents them from adding a veteran wideout for depth."

He recorded 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

Maclin entered the league as the No. 19 overall selection of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2009 NFL Draft. He spent the first five seasons of his career before signing with the Chiefs in free agency prior to the 2015 season. The deal was worth $55 million over five seasons.

The San Francisco 49ers, Los Angeles Rams, Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens were also mentioned as options. Cleveland was heavily involved with Maclin before he signed with the Chiefs that off-season.

The 29-year old would compete with Mario Alford, Ricardo Louis, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Corey Coleman, Rannell Hall, James Wright, Jordan Leslie, Josh Boyce and Kenny Britt.

The Browns have roughly $61 million remaining in salary cap space according to Spotrac.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 10:12 PM
front load the deal and get it done IMO.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 10:14 PM
Kick these tires. Can we get him? Any ties to guys on our team?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 11:46 PM
Bard, I think besides the money we can spend, the best thing we have to offer is Hue. The players love the guy. That kind of message gets around.

It sucks that the qb position is not so good and that we had a terrible record, but Hue and the money we can offer might offset the negatives.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/03/17 11:58 PM
I will say that I don't remember someone being traded/cut by us and having such high praise for the coaches/FO/future of the Browns ... and in the past few weeks we've seen that a few times (Hawkins, Davis). That's telling I hope.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:02 AM
It's important.

People used to knock me because I said it was a bad thing that we were screwing players over and were getting a bad rep.

Well, things have turned around a bit. We've signed some of our own free agents recently and the players love Hue. The word gets around. Trust me on that one.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 03:05 AM
Bard, I think besides the money we can spend, the best thing we have to offer is Hue. The players love the guy. That kind of message gets around.

It sucks that the qb position is not so good and that we had a terrible record, but Hue and the money we can offer might offset the negatives.

Good point. If I'm a FA ...I would love to play for Hue Jackson.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 03:11 AM
Could Colmans injury be Serendipity?

It could weigh in the balance, whither or not we choose to peruse the notion.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 03:30 AM
Maclin would definitely be a big help in Cleveland. He would be a reliable weapon for any of our QBs, and would combine with Britt to show the youngsters how to be an NFL receiver.

Ranking all 32 teams as landing spots for Jeremy Maclin after his surprising release - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rankin...rising-release/

1. Browns

The Browns aren't as bad as you think they are. Their strategy of stockpiling draft picks, retooling their offensive line, and not overspending on costly free agents is working, even if they're still a couple years away from competing. Maclin would speed up the rebuilding process. He'd be the team's best receiver, would be a great mentor for Corey Coleman, and would alleviate the conditions for whichever young developing quarterback (Cody Kessler or DeShone Kizer) wins the starting job.

There's also this: The Browns have more than $60 million in cap space.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 05:45 AM
he is only 29 yrs old. But with 9 years under his belt, not sure what kind of toll it has put on his body. But i would invite him over for a workout at the least. couldn't hurt one bit.

and why not? Coleman is just one injury after another...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 08:05 AM
he's already got 9 years in? it's crazy how fast time can go if you aren't paying attention to something in particular.

I would have guessed 5-6 years. Time sneaks up on ya.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 08:48 AM
Experience 9th season

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/12579/jeremy-maclin

I said almost the same thing. word for word lol. then I had to google him.

except I pegged him at 6-7 yrs
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Experience 9th season

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/12579/jeremy-maclin

I said almost the same thing. word for word lol. then I had to google him.

except I pegged him at 6-7 yrs
exactly. when it's not something you usually pay close attention to, the years can slip by you.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 10:59 AM
Sign him to a 2 year deal, pay him what it takes and never look back. Jmo
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:41 AM
I may be alone, but I am willing to risk this move. Some of the youth may need tone flushed. Coleman will not be any help hurt on the bench for "building" purposes. Get this vet reasonably. Time to load up on ready weapons. Maclin has to be aware of career status from here. Hue would be a great help in landing him perhaps. Hue has to produce to have that continue.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Sign him to a 2 year deal, pay him what it takes and never look back. Jmo

I think he will be looking for 4, and we probably would as well.

We can structure the thing where it is more or less a 2-3 year deal, making it unpainful to get out of if we simply decide to relase him after 2-3 years.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:56 AM
Every time I hear Maclin's name I get flashbacks of Dwayne Bowe shocked
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Every time I hear Maclin's name I get flashbacks of Dwayne Bowe shocked

I don't know, Bowe was maybe a year or two older, and those guys have different types of bodies.

Bowe was way bigger, so he took more hits. When you are as big as him, you just take some of the hits rather than try to avoid them. If smaller player take big hits all the time, they have short careers. Some who know how to do it can get under the majority of contact. Metcalf was one who was pretty good at ducking and tucking. I think Macklin is similar.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:19 PM
Maclin went the Chiefs the year that Bowe came here. Do you remember hearing about how the KC WR's didn't have a single TD pass in Bowe's last year there?

Well, Maclin caught 10 TD passes that same year in Philly. He went to KC and caught 8 TD passes his first year there.

I told you guys when we got Bowe that he was lazy and that you would end up hating him. Maclin is a different player. He is a true professional and an excellent route runner. He won't dog it like Bowe did.

The only question I would have is if he is healthy or not. I don't see any comparison to Bowe other than they both played for KC.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:27 PM

I think he will be looking for 4, and we probably would as well.

We can certainly afford it, but his signing (anywhere) likely depends on what he is looking for...money, location, contender? Far more likely (IMO) that he ends up in Arizona...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:32 PM
That all makes a difference. No telling what his motivations might be.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:34 PM
I question his health as well and It seemed to me that he was always hurt. However other than last season when he missed 4 games It looks like he only missed 6 or 7 games total over the other 6 years. I was just never sold on him but it does look like he has averaged 67 catcher per year, 900 yards per season, and about 6.5 TD's per year. Maybe it's just me (OK I bet it is) but I just can't get excited about him. I will say however he is way better than than almost every other WR on our roster.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:42 PM
He had a groin injury last year. Maybe it is the start of the downward spiral.

The again, maybe it was his 12 mil cap hit and Tyreek Hill that made it a easy decision for the Chiefs.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 12:55 PM
There's no WR we have currently who I'd say is better than Maclin.

I think our WR's core is one the weakest the league has to offer, if not thee weakest. Coleman is a no-show and his hamstring and overall health issues makes me extremely concerned. He was supposed to be our #1 threat and he's been nothing short of a joke up-to-date. Health wise, performance wise and just everything so far.

Kenny is our best WR. We selected four WRs total in the 2016 draft, and it's clear we maybe needed to have selected more because no one is doing anything.

Our best bet in our current situation is pray one out of the four can step up this year. The money Maclin likely wants is probably something this front office won't be game to spend at that position.

The more I think about it, the more I'm open to digging a little deeper into the wallet and seeing if we can get Maclin. I'm not a huge fan of him, but wow, our WR core is about as ripe as year old roadkill. It's a great concern for me.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 01:05 PM
Is Maclin better than Coleman today... yes IMO Will he be better by the end of the year, or in 2018 or 2019??? It's way to early to judge Coleman one way on the other.

Is Maclin better than Britt yes he is once again IMO

The four other young guys??? We have no clue yet if any of them are going to pan out or wash out. Hopefully we know more about all four of them by the end of this season.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
His production has dropped across the board
He peaked 3 years ago.
He's worth a look but not at 9 mil a year.
He's not the big play threat he used to be
He's a number #3 WR at best now

You may need to check your stats. There were two other receivers that saw lowered production, but the TE in KC went nuts.. He just didn't get the targets.. Oh, he was injured a little as well...

As for the Browns picking up Maclin, I guess it depends on how much they believe in their young receivers. Myself, if he can help, get him.., But really, we aren't ready to contend.. so maybe spending money and reps on him isn't the smartest move. JMO
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 01:10 PM
"I will say however he is way better than than almost every other WR on our roster."

This alludes to at least ONE wr being better than Maclin, and I don't think we have anyone, as of today, that you can even compare to him. Again, our WR core is one of the weakest.

I get all the people I'm ripping are going into their second year and are still raw, hence why I'm not calling them busts yet - but I cannot deny it's a huge concern.

I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole. Both are... sketchy.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 01:14 PM
I just look at our WRs: Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Payton, Devalve, Louis ... that's a putrid group. It's our weakest area, and maybe the weakest position group in the NFL.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 01:16 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole.

Don't forget the QBs. LOL
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 01:32 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole.

Don't forget the QBs. LOL
we're all so used to having no QB that we just disregard the position now. it's just understood that it's the worst area by far rofl
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:01 PM
j/c

Of the (4) WRs drafted last year, (2) came from Rd 5 and (1) from Rd 4. They are imminently replaceable. They were all late Rd flyers. If we can find better WRs, we should get them.
Posted By: edromeo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:04 PM
IF.

IF Maclin is healthy then I would agree he would be the best WR.

The trouble becomes how determine his worth? based on who he was....or based on his current production and injury risk?

On the whole I'm injury-risk averse BUT I would be all over it IF we get the Maclin from 2 years ago.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: edromeo
IF.

IF Maclin is healthy then I would agree he would be the best WR.

The trouble becomes how determine his worth? based on who he was....or based on his current production and injury risk?

On the whole I'm injury-risk averse BUT I would be all over it IF we get the Maclin from 2 years ago.

I agree but I don't know if there is a way to know for sure. Whoever signs him is taking in a food but of risk... But for the Brown's and our WR situation is definitely take that risk. If Macklin was 80% of his former self, he and a healthy Britt and Coleman are a decent WR core. If Coleman is injury prone, and Maclin can stay healthy it improves a bad situation. The odds of both Macklin and Coleman both going down is real but still less risk than having just Coleman and Britt. . . . If course if the FO signed him and he and Coleman both went down they'd be crucified by some

I'd sign him. Not for Britt money, but if you can craft a contract that makes his release not too harmful to your cap, if pay close to that sort of money.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:28 PM
Tablet spell check blows. Sorry.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:31 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole. Both are... sketchy.

IMO it's the WR's
Posted By: edromeo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:40 PM
Hopefully Maclin will go for a 1 year "prove you can stay healthy" deal....but his agent is probably fielding those offers from a bunch of teams
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:42 PM
One thing people are overlooking is Maclin can still play at a high level for a contender. Arizona, Seattle, and New England add Maclin can preserver him for an entire season. Maklin is an ideal fit in Cincy but they won't pay.

Browns are simply not ready for these kind of veterans. I don't think players like Maklin can play full time and last a season. It is why Barndridge and Hawkins were let go. Heartbreaking watching these types of players end their career on IR especially playing for teams like Cleveland.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:49 PM
if we at least done make a run at him then its a fail.

3 years with a player / team option for a fourth, either can walk if it doesn't work.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
if we at least done make a run at him then its a fail.

3 years with a player / team option for a fourth, either can walk if it doesn't work.

So you, go what? 3 years $30 million?
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 02:59 PM
yes front loaded as best we can.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 03:27 PM
Maclin would be a great addition, but he is on the wrong side of 25. Perhaps a 2 or 3 year deal that is front loaded would be a good option. I don't think he'll ever be a Bowe.

Bowe's issue was not having the "want to" anymore. Even if Maclin was a step slower than normal, that is still pretty freakin fast and he runs routes well enough and uses his body well enough to still get open.

He was most likely cut because his injury happened to come at a time where the team invested in two other younger cheaper WR's and had little cap space.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 03:52 PM
j/c

This wouldn't be such a huge issue if they hadn't drafted a little brittle guy.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I'm okay with the kid's size, Steve Smith is one of my favorite WRs actually - but dang it seems like he's about as soft as an ice cream sandwich that's been in the sun for a few.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 04:17 PM
j/c

I'm okay with the kid's size, Steve Smith is one of my favorite WRs actually - but dang it seems like he's about as soft as an ice cream sandwich that's been in the sun for a few.
and the thing is, Coleman had a history of hamstring stuff in college ... it's one thing to have freak injuries, but soft tissue stuff is perpetuating
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 04:21 PM

Louis got a good review from our coaches in his progress from season one going into 2.

Maybe he's the guy going to throw his hat in the ring.

A lot praising the skills of Maclin...but I'm wondering are those skills diminishing? When they do they usually diminish fast. I don't think the Chiefs were in a position to let go a stud WR.
I know they save cap room but for what?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 04:24 PM
In regards to EO's statement on diminishing skills, it is a concern IMO ... especially for DB/WR. If he were a Bolden type who can still use his body/strength it's one thing ... but he's slighter. Take away his agility and it's tough
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 04:30 PM
Funny how the Chiefs moved on from 2 players who were considered part of the core on offense just 2 years ago
Maclin isn't the same player he was in 2014. He can't separate like he used too.
He would fit here based on a need for a vet who can help bring along the young WRs and certinally depth
But it's certinally telLing when your number 1 WR is a guy who just got released
And had only 2 TD the year before
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 05:04 PM
j/c

and the thing is, Coleman had a history of hamstring stuff in college ... it's one thing to have freak injuries, but soft tissue stuff is perpetuating

Absolutely. Believe it or not, the broken hand didn't even phase me much. It's these hamstrings. As said, it's not just a NFL occurrence either.

Very concerning, as it has been since we drafted him. He might have got 64 receptions for 1,119 yards and 11 TDs that one year at Baylor dealing/playing with a hamstring issue - but not here in the NFL. Especially when he's the focal point/biggest threat of the bunch.

These reasons and etc makes me truly think twice about the price I'd be willing to pay for Maclin. As Vers said (well alluded to anyway), and I'm sure he's handled it properly medically wise - groin not a multi year injury issue.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 05:08 PM
j/c

I was commenting more about the combination of the two.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 06:30 PM
I don't look at it as him being a #1. Who says you need that? What is wrong with having a few #2 receivers?

I look at it like this: The #1 receiver is the guy the QB just released the ball towards. The #1 receiver isn't a position IMO. It's whoever catchs the most passes and produces the best results.

Ozzie was a TE....guess what? He was our #1 receiver for a long time.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 06:38 PM
www.nfl.com

Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Hopefully Maclin will go for a 1 year "prove you can stay healthy" deal....but his agent is probably fielding those offers from a bunch of teams

If he's 29, nobody else is going to offer him a 5 year deal.
Offer him a 5 year deal,

People all over at various positions are getting 10 million a year, and he's waived from a 10 million a year deal.
You allow him to keep his pride and save face if you offer him 10 million a year.

so a 5 year 50 million deal, big news, might lure him

but, all that really matters is the guaranteed money. 20-something probably ballpark.

There ain't a person on this board that believes the team wouldn't cut him before he's 35 anyways, unless he's league mvp or something.
It Ain't my money, I don't know what the team wants, all I'm doing guessing what would probably be the report it somehow the Browns did sign him.
And Cut him after 2 years.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
www.nfl.com

because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card

Browns may have done so up until now, but maybe they'll turn over a new leaf.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 07:11 PM
I don't look at it as him being a #1. Who says you need that? What is wrong with having a few #2 receivers?

I look at it like this: The #1 receiver is the guy the QB just released the ball towards. The #1 receiver isn't a position IMO. It's whoever catchs the most passes and produces the best results.

The only problem is, you don't take a #2 WR 15th overall. You take someone actually worth game planning around a little that high. Coleman worth game planning around from what you've seen thus far?

And i've predicted already Njoku will be our highest targeted person with the most catches. He'll be making the catches and etc, and Corey will still be limited to riding bikes on the sidelines.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 07:42 PM
The only problem is, you don't take a #2 WR 15th overall. You take someone actually worth game planning around a little that high. Coleman worth game planning around from what you've seen thus far?

Well Coleman is in his 2nd year, when they took him Terrell Pryor was still on the team. And When they took Coleman it was after the 2015 season, so Travis Benjamin had been about the top receiver the previous year.

If you don't like that he was taken with the 15th overall pick, what does that have to do with now, going forward.
I could say that I think Pettine would have had them closer to 6 wins last year and the approaching year, but it doesn't matter anymore.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
www.nfl.com
Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention,.

Says who! (objection, that's speculation!)

A veteran wideout, maybe bring back the veteran tight end they cut, for no apparent reason,

Catch a couple of breaks, here and there, and a couple of the young guys overachieve, and

Bingo! Contention!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 08:03 PM

And i've predicted already Njoku will be our highest targeted person with the most catches. He'll be making the catches and etc, and Corey will still be limited to riding bikes on the sidelines.

It's not his fault we took him at 15, nor is it the FO.

I think some of you get too hung up on draft position. Once they are drafted and on the team, it doesn't matter where they are drafted.

My point is I don't hear people complain when a 7th rounder plays like a stud. Sounds like Mac bashing the FO because we took a guy in the 6th round when we should have taken him in the 2nd round. notallthere

You play them to the best of their ability. It makes no sense to whine a year or two later that a guy isn't playing up to his draft poition. Either they are playing well or they aren't.

That said, we don't know where Coleman is performing. Some of you are getting all whacked out of shape becuse he is missing some OTA time. Sure, I'd like him out there. He needs the reps, but it is what it is. This isn't a crushing blow to the program.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 08:37 PM
Ahhh...the voice of reason
Posted By: edromeo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 08:50 PM
Not sure if serious. Many flaws that I see.

The first being you're not going to trick any player or agent with a back loaded 5 year deal. They're gonna look at the only thing that matters guaranteed money.

Also, Im not gonna offer 10 mil a year after he got cut for making 10 mil a year.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 10:13 PM
Quote:
they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card

I have both. No wonder Sashi won't return my calls.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:05 PM
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

I don't agree. It's more the voice of a guy who defends everything the FO does and belittles anyone who every questions them.

I try and evaluate each move based on it's individual merits. That seems more reasonable in my world rather than what he continually says.

But, to each their own.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

I don't agree. It's more the voice of a guy who defends everything the FO does and belittles anyone who every questions them.

I try and evaluate each move based on it's individual merits. That seems more reasonable in my world rather than what he continually says.

But, to each their own.

Uhhh...of all the people on THIS board, Peen may be the most reasonable...maybe tied with Clem.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:38 PM
Quote:
My point is I don't hear people complain when a 7th rounder plays like a stud. Sounds like Mac bashing the FO because we took a guy in the 6th round when we should have taken him in the 2nd round. notallthere

Wait............this is reasonable? rofl

Sounds pretty insulting to me and it was unprovoked. I can see why certain posters would find such an insulting comment "reasonable."
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:53 PM
Quote:

Wait............this is reasonable? rofl

Sounds pretty insulting to me and it was unprovoked. I can see why certain posters would find such an insulting comment "reasonable."

Yes...you wouldn't understand if I laid it out for you. mac unprovoked? rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/04/17 11:58 PM
Maclin is talking with the Bills. His old teammate, LeSean McCoy, is recruiting him.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1313247
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 01:06 AM
If we can sign him to a reasonable offer then fine do it he probably can help us. Personally, I'd rather see us develop our own guys as I feel there is potential here. JMO
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 01:22 AM
I thought it would be the Bills because of McCoy or the 49ers ..
Posted By: edromeo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 01:31 AM
FWIW

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5169/jeremy-maclin

Jordan Schultz of the Huffington Post reports the Bills are in preliminary talks with free agent Jeremy Maclin.

It's not a great fantasy destination, but it does make a lot of sense from a reality standpoint. Jason Fitzgerald of Overthecap.com recently estimated Maclin would command $5 million annually. The Bills are dealing with injuries to top receivers Sammy Watkins (foot) and Zay Jones (knee). Jun 4 - 4:10 PM

Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 01:35 AM
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see us develop our own guys as I feel there is potential here. JMO

I agree...Depending on how this season plays out..The Browns could always go for a guy like ..

Christian Kirk from Texas A&M

Calvin Ridley From Alabama

Parris Campbell from Ohio State... He may be a good 2nd round pick up. If not a low round first.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 01:58 AM
I'd easily give him 5 million per
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 02:03 AM
LeSean McCoy recruits Jeremy Maclin to Buffalo
Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2017, 3:26 PM EDT

It’s unclear whether Bills G.M. Brandon Beane or coach Sean McDermott want receiver Jeremy Maclin in Buffalo. Bills running back LeSean McCoy definitely does.

Speaking at his charity softball event on Sunday, McCoy said he has been recruiting his former Eagles teammate. Via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, McCoy added, “Don’t be surprised if it happens.”

McCoy added that he has no inside information, but he said he has been speaking with Maclin.

The Chiefs abruptly cut Maclin on Friday evening, creating $10 million in cap space. The move made Maclin an immediate free agent.

Maclin has extensive experience in the West Coast-style passing offense, spending most of his career in Andy Reid’s version of it. Rick Dennison is incorporating the Mike Shanahan/Gary Kubiak West Coast offense at Buffalo.
Share this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/04/lesean-mccoy-recruits-jeremy-maclin-to-buffalo/
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 02:08 AM
Quote:

Included guarantees ?

Dwayne Bowe ...Jeremy Maclin...No Thanks....
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see us develop our own guys as I feel there is potential here. JMO

I agree...Depending on how this season plays out..The Browns could always go for a guy like ..
Christian Kirk from Texas A&M
Calvin Ridley From Alabama
Parris Campbell from Ohio State... He may be a good 2nd round pick up. If not a low round first.

How does that help you this year?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

Included guarantees ?

Dwayne Bowe ...Jeremy Maclin...No Thanks....

That's like saying we shouldn't have drafted Myles Garrett because Johnny Manziel was the same age and from the same school ... I have no idea what Maclin is like as a person, but I'd at least have him in and kick the tires
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 11:19 AM
A couple of things:

Two people have compared Maclin to Bowe. They are completely different. One relied on sheer size and athletic talent but was lazy and soft. The other has physical skills, but is a very good route runner and as professional as can be.

Other than them playing for KC, there is no comparison.

The second thing is that Tru mentioned Buffalo making a run at Maclin early in the thread. Nice job, Tru.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 11:32 AM
Lazy and soft were not words used to describe Bowe before he came to Cleveland.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12468898/dwayne-bowe-released-kansas-city-chiefs
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 11:40 AM

Well Coleman is in his 2nd year, when they took him Terrell Pryor was still on the team. And When they took Coleman it was after the 2015 season, so Travis Benjamin had been about the top receiver the previous year.

If you don't like that he was taken with the 15th overall pick, what does that have to do with now, going forward.
I could say that I think Pettine would have had them closer to 6 wins last year and the approaching year, but it doesn't matter anymore.

I was just answering Peen's question about it being okay having a few #2 WRs on the team. You don't select someone that high to have him just be a #2 the whole time and just "be another guy on the field".

That was the only point I was trying to make, whether Coleman had Travis or TP is all irrelevant to me. You get selected that high, demands are set.

You don't see me sweating on Louis or the other WRs we drafted that year, because we didn't draft them 15th overall. Something is telling me, we shouldn't have drafted Corey that high either.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 11:46 AM
That's not true. I told you guys that he was both when we signed him and I posted articles w/videos of him and his alligator arms across the middle.

Sorry bro, those two WRs are not alike.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 12:31 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1525260.amp.html

Dwayne Bowe would have struggles with his weight, effort, and habits well before Cleveland...heck he also isolated himself against fellow NFL players by throwing them under the bus...I wanted nothing of Bowe when we inked him and the guy simply collected a check here...

Maclin is a crafty high effort player, he is noted to put extra time into his game. Though rather quiet, I know coaches and peers have praised his work ethic and leadership.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 12:43 PM
Landing Spots for Maclin:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813028/article/potential-landing-spots-for-jeremy-maclin

Cleveland Browns

Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 02:00 PM
j/c...

Personally I just don't see this FO going after Maclin after we Released our own Vet Hawkins. Who I thought still had game.

jmho.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 02:02 PM
Oh god I remember when Bowe and Hartline got signed all the Farmer Fan Club members were predicting how those were gonna terrorize
Defenses
Maclin and Bowe are so opposite of WRs.one has had very productive career outside of injury and the other suckered the Browns into a nice payday
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 02:06 PM

I think some of you get too hung up on draft position. Once they are drafted and on the team, it doesn't matter where they are drafted.

While I won't get into whether Coleman was a good pick or not, because I believe it's far too early to tell, I will disagree with this statement.

We heard people cheering because we took on a 16 million dollar QB most think is a waste in order to get a 2nd round pick. Why? Because obviously people believe there's large value placed on a high draft pick. Football is a business. Draft picks are an investment in that business. The higher the investment, the more benefit your business should receive from that investment.

I believe it's unrealistic to say that any business doesn't look at return on investment and that's all this really boils down to. Business 101.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 02:15 PM
Everybody has a right to tell us no. If he can help, offer what we feel he is worth for a show-me at least, and see what happens. I think he can help us if healthy. May not be a steal signing, but could be a value signing IMO.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 03:06 PM
Oh god I remember when Bowe and Hartline got signed all the Farmer Fan Club members were predicting how those were gonna terrorize
Defenses
Maclin and Bowe are so opposite of WRs.one has had very productive career outside of injury and the other suckered the Browns into a nice payday

I don't remember any love for Bowe when we signed him.

Agree Maclin and Bowe are completely different WR's.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 03:09 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Defenses

And many people who seemingly didn't like Farmer thought the Hartline move was a good one at the time.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 03:10 PM
Pit - I think Peen is saying that when evaluating acquisitions from other teams when the player has been in the NFL for a few years - their college performance and draft position is pretty immaterial compared to how they performed in the NFL. . . . we could go sign Jamarcus Russell who was a former #1 overall pick. No-one would be excited because he was a total bust in the NFL. If we signed Brady (hahaha) a former 6th round pick - we'd be pretty jazzed!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 03:19 PM
A player is always judged on where he is drafted. Unless Peen completely missed the mark in his post, which I sometimes do as well, he said people get hung up on that.

My point is, it makes all the difference in the world. If you spend 20k on one vehicle and 50k on another, you certainly expect a better product on the one you spent 50k for.

As you point out, it may not work out that way but those are the expectations when you purchase them. When I consider he was speaking about Corey Coleman and where he was drafted, I'm not sure how it is you came to your conclusion.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Defenses

And many people who seemingly didn't like Farmer thought the Hartline move was a good one at the time.

I thought Hartline was a good signing. And he was, for a #3 WR, with no QB. I thought Bowe was an awful signing. And he was. He was done before he got here, and totally ripped his buddy Farmer off. One of those "You got what you deserve" signings.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 04:04 PM
Apologies - I thought the reference was in regard to where Maclin was drafted. I've not had enough time to be on the board recently and have been skimming.

Regarding this point on Coleman - I think the FO is judged on the players relative performance to where they were drafted. First round picks that are average or backups are not good picks even if they contribute to the team. Mingo was a guy that fell into that situation. Mingo was what he was - once he was a Brown it didn't really matter where he was selected to the team.... it did reflect mightily on the FO that selected him.

As for the player himself - I think it's a side note. Christian Kirksey is a very good football player - I think he's performed well above his 3rd round draft position. But where he was selected doesn't impact the contract he just earned or his value/contribution to the team. It's all about his performance on the field.

The only other variation on this line of thinking would be someone like Blake Bortles - who appears to be a pretty limited QB unless someone can mentor him and significantly develop him moving forward. . . . but despite this, he's likely to get more opportunity to turn it around than if he hadn't been such a high draft pick. . . . I don't think that thinking or "logic" is good. In fact it's detrimental to the team - but it's hard for organizations to except mistakes sometimes and they cling to 'hope' or accept mediocrity when it's "their guy"... imo
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 04:10 PM
Yeah, while I didn't like the Bowe acquisition, I did like us signing Hartline.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 05:11 PM
Actually what Kirksey shows a great return on a marginal investment. He has outplayed his draft status. That's exactly why he was rewarded with a nice contract.

It's still all about investment verses reward. Many fans see the NFL as a sport or game. That's only natural from a fans perspective.

But a FO and coaching staff, and yes, even the players are fully aware that it's big business. Which is why they are not judged so much on later round picks. Later picks are not costly and do not demand a big investment.

But when it comes to high draft picks and FA signings, where they were drafted or how much a FA is signed for are very important. It's how you grade those working for you from an evaluation standpoint.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 08:16 PM
A couple of things:

Two people have compared Maclin to Bowe. They are completely different. One relied on sheer size and athletic talent but was lazy and soft. The other has physical skills, but is a very good route runner and as professional as can be.

Other than them playing for KC, there is no comparison.

The second thing is that Tru mentioned Buffalo making a run at Maclin early in the thread. Nice job, Tru.

Thanks Vers! I kind of connected the dots prior to talks of LeSean McCoy urging him to buffalo...They have a pretty horrid WR situation as Watkins is always hurt and their cupboard is pretty bare as well...Plus Maclin has played in cold weather his entirety in Philly...

And you also are correct on Bowe, I provided a link where his poor lazy habits were questioned. Him coming in overweight..and some AFC scout(s) even pointed to steering away from Bowe in FA...guy was becoming a dud, and there was obvious points revealing it before we brought him to Cleveland...Maclin is a polar opposite.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/15252...nto-free-agency
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 08:37 PM
Actually what Kirksey shows a great return on a marginal investment. He has outplayed his draft status. That's exactly why he was rewarded with a nice contract.

It's still all about investment verses reward. Many fans see the NFL as a sport or game. That's only natural from a fans perspective.

But a FO and coaching staff, and yes, even the players are fully aware that it's big business. Which is why they are not judged so much on later round picks. Later picks are not costly and do not demand a big investment.

But when it comes to high draft picks and FA signings, where they were drafted or how much a FA is signed for are very important. It's how you grade those working for you from an evaluation standpoint.

Hmmmm - I think we're not entirely on the same page.

Once the player is drafted - it makes no difference where he was drafted to his future contracts and contribution to the team. It only matters in grading the FO.

Sticking with Kirksey - if he had been a first rounder, 2nd or 7th rounder - do you think his contract would have been different? I don't think so. I think his contract is 100% a reflection of what he has done on the NFL field of play.

Agree entirely that he has outperformed his draft status - and that's a positive reflection on the FO who selected him. . . one of the few bright spots for Farmer.
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 08:47 PM
Know that the Bills are trying to get him. As that a lot of players like Taylor and McCoy want him there.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 08:57 PM
NFL.com pumps breaks on Maclin to Browns

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/NFLcom-pumps-breaks-on-Maclin-to-Browns-53038201

Why Cleveland is not a fit for Jeremy Maclin.

The Cleveland Browns were one of the first teams mentioned in connection with the recently released wide receiver Jeremy Maclin.

While the team needs production at the position, adding a nearly 30-year old veteran does not fit into the team's agenda. NFL.com's Nick Shook explained why the Missouri native will not end up in Cleveland any time soon.

"Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time."

The Browns made an effort to sign Maclin before he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Last season, he recorded 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

Cleveland's returning lead receiver is running back Duke Johnson Jr. He recorded 53 receptions for 514 yards. The top receiver is Corey Coleman. He accumulated 33 receptions for 413 yards and three touchdowns. Returning wide receivers combined for just 58 catches last season.

The Browns are still roughly $62 million under the NFL salary cap.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 11:10 PM
We're not a target because we're loaded at WR. Duh!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/05/17 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Vambo
NFL.com pumps breaks on Maclin to Browns

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/NFLcom-pumps-breaks-on-Maclin-to-Browns-53038201

Why Cleveland is not a fit for Jeremy Maclin.

The Cleveland Browns were one of the first teams mentioned in connection with the recently released wide receiver Jeremy Maclin.

While the team needs production at the position, adding a nearly 30-year old veteran does not fit into the team's agenda. NFL.com's Nick Shook explained why the Missouri native will not end up in Cleveland any time soon.

"Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time."

The Browns made an effort to sign Maclin before he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Last season, he recorded 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

Cleveland's returning lead receiver is running back Duke Johnson Jr. He recorded 53 receptions for 514 yards. The top receiver is Corey Coleman. He accumulated 33 receptions for 413 yards and three touchdowns. Returning wide receivers combined for just 58 catches last season.

The Browns are still roughly $62 million under the NFL salary cap.

While I don't think Maclin will end up here for a few reasons, I don't think age is the main reason. NFL.com forgets that we just signed Jason McCourty, who is older than Maclin.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:58 AM

I think that the Browns have quite a few WRs they really like; Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Louis, and Hall, for starters. I think that they want to give their 2nd year guys a chance to win jobs this year.

The Browns had some OTA video on their site, and Louis showed really solid hands. It was almost a highlight reel for him. He also made a couple of strong 1 hand catches. I think that we'll see a lot of 2 TE from the Browns this year, with Njoku ans DeValve
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:08 AM
It's pretty apparent the Browns like these guys. Whether or not they are right is up for debate. Louis has always struggled w/his hands. Highlight reels don't always tell the story.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:11 AM
It's pretty apparent the Browns like these guys. Whether or not they are right is up for debate. Louis has always struggled w/his hands. Highlight reels don't always tell the story.

You're right, but he sure looks confident in his ability to catch the ball, and that hasn't always been the case for him in Cleveland. How he has to do it against the best other teams have to offer. It's encouraging, but not settled.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:23 AM
Fair enough.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:28 AM
Everyone loves louis in practice but he would be the first guy that ever learned to catch after becoming a pro. I cant think of a single one that learned to catch after really not being able to catch anything in college.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:37 AM
Yeah, by the time you get to the NFL..........I don't think you are going to "learn how to catch," "significantly improve arm strength," "become a great tackler," etc
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 09:52 AM
As YTBF said, I think we are pretty commited to giving the 2nd year guys a chance. That doesn't mean I wouldn't make a run at Macklin, but I have cooled on that a bit in the last day or so.

He is nearing the No-no age for this FO, he is headed back after a injury season, and his numbers dropped. None of that points to they type of player we have been signing the last year or two.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I think that the Browns have quite a few WRs they really like; Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Louis, and Hall, for starters. I think that they want to give their 2nd year guys a chance to win jobs this year.

The Browns had some OTA video on their site, and Louis showed really solid hands. It was almost a highlight reel for him. He also made a couple of strong 1 hand catches. I think that we'll see a lot of 2 TE from the Browns this year, with Njoku ans DeValve

I think Hue will also be creative with how Seth DeValve will be used. Perhaps some slot WR action? I'd add him to the group of second year "receivers" as well.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 10:21 AM
I see a 2 TE set with Devale and Njoju as our base O. I see a lot of mismatch opportunities and it opening up the running game.

The are going to have to pull a backer with that line-up if they expect to cover both of those guys. That or not cover the deep part of the field by using a safety to cover one of them.

I think we might have a fairly explosive O this season if the trigger can be half way decent.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 10:21 AM
Forgot about Hall. He's someone who I've heard they like too. It's just such an unproven group.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 12:49 PM

No doubt you're right, and this year will tell a tale. Njoku was certainly brought in as a pass catching threat. Louis has the size but has questionable hands, and his route running and ability to separate are questionable. Maybe time with Saunders can improve his route running, but his hands could still be a big question mark. Higgins runs good routes, but has a tiny frame. He may have similar issues as Coleman, in that he could wear down over the season. Ditto Hall.

Projecting forward, when you look at team needs, my guess is that we come out of the season with WR as one of the teams biggest needs. Right now, with Coleman as our "#1" and a HUGE question mark, I'd expect to see them go after a Sutton, Ridley, or even St. Brown or Auden Tate to add some size to that room. They may want to develop their picks, but IMHO, they'll end the season with the WR issue largely unresolved.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 12:54 PM
Quote:
I think we might have a fairly explosive O this season if the trigger can be half way decent.

I think our offense is going to be at--or very close to--the bottom of the league, just like we usually are.

We were 30th in yards and 31st in points per game. We lost our best skilled player and maybe got worse at qb. We could have a better center if he can stay healthy and improved some at guard.

A lot of things are going to have to go right just to score a TD. I think it's going to be another long year.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 12:56 PM
Agreed. I expect defenses to try to contain Njoku and take away the run. Then what do you have? tongue Our receivers one on one with the corners? Not a huge advantage.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:02 PM
j/c...right now our 6 best Receivers are:
Coleman, Britt, Louis, Njoku, Devalve and Duke.
We also have Higgins, Hall and Payton fighting for a spot.

As noted we released Hawkins I just don't see us going for Maclin.

Possibly if we are on a SB run and its a need. But we believe in the talent that we have and know they are young and looking to see them all grow!

jmho
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:04 PM
Could be.

I only say what i say because I keep reading about Hue being sorry we didn't run more.

We made improvements to the line which should help. I see 2 TE sets as a way to possibly get guys out of the box. I agree that will only work if we can in fact get the ball to them when we don't run. It also means that one of the wide outs is going to have to be able to take advantage of a 1 on 1 match-up.

I think we have a chance of doing that, but I also agree you could be closer to the reality than I.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Agreed. I expect defenses to try to contain Njoku and take away the run. Then what do you have? tongue Our receivers one on one with the corners? Not a huge advantage.

As an offensive coordinator, I think you have to be happy if you get to the point where your WR's are consistently one on one with a DB. If you can't design plays to make that work then you either have the world's worst WR's or the world's worst OC. I don't think our WR's scream out as a strength by any means - but I don't think they are that bad either. But the more I think on it the more I think Maclin makes a lot of sense for the Browns. He's a high quality WR - route running, ethics, hard working .... and at 29 he's probably got 2 or 3 good years back (if healthy). If a SB / Playoff team doesn't come knocking at his door - then I think we are as viable as most teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:14 PM
How old is Britt? I thought he was 28 or 29. We gave him pretty good money. And Maclin is a better WR than Britt.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:14 PM

I think you under value Devalve.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:22 PM
Quote:
I think you under value Devalve.

Devalve had 10 catches in 12 games for 127 yards last year.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:25 PM
stats are for losers...lol

What the heck does that mean??? not the saying above but the need for you to put some stats down last year about Devalve...who as a rookie did not get the reps.

Peen was responding to a TE blocking on the first 2 downs...Devalve worked on his blocking skills and gained 22 lbs of muscle. I think he's committed to block and be our Starting TE.
jmho
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:28 PM
Let me guess. You interpreted my post as a personal attack against you and if I respond, you will say I started it?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:39 PM
How old is Britt? I thought he was 28 or 29. We gave him pretty good money. And Maclin is a better WR than Britt.

I agree - but the injury is the ??? factor with Maclin. And KC are a good team who will expect to go to the playoffs. When good teams jettison good players its a red flag. I'm never in favor of burning cap space just because we have it - but with the space we have the WR's we have and the work ethic and professionalism Maclin could bring - I am 100% on board with signing him.

As for Britt - I like Pryor a lot. Wish we still had him - but I do not think Britt is a bum. I think he's at least a genuine #2. Maybe a bit better than that.

As for our offense -- I expect it to be much better next year. I disagree that the QB situation could be worse than having 4 QB's start - having a rookie thrown in week 3 with no reps with the 1st team. Assuming Cody hasn't progressed an iota physically - just the reps and experience make him better ... or maybe more accurately more prepared which translates to better production.

RT is a ??? - but the line is at least 30-40% better in my opinion - it's improved by significantly more than just the sum of it's parts. And while RT is ???? until they take the field I think Coleman is going to 'break out' and own that spot for the season.

I understand the question about DeValve - but I think Njoku looks like a beast. He's got to be able to consistently catch and make plays.... and that is another ????. But honestly I don't believe he will perform worse than Barnidge last year - 55 rec 2 TD.

But at this point with so many ??? it is speculation.... other than saying adding a healthy Maclin would make this year's Browns a better team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 01:46 PM
Logical.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:11 PM

And this is the summary of why I'm pretty concerned here regarding our WR unit.

Exactly as questioned, take away the run potential and David - what do you have?
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:36 PM

As an offensive coordinator, I think you have to be happy if you get to the point where your WR's are consistently one on one with a DB. If you can't design plays to make that work then you either have the world's worst WR's or the world's worst OC. I don't think our WR's scream out as a strength by any means - but I don't think they are that bad either. But the more I think on it the more I think Maclin makes a lot of sense for the Browns. He's a high quality WR - route running, ethics, hard working .... and at 29 he's probably got 2 or 3 good years back (if healthy). If a SB / Playoff team doesn't come knocking at his door - then I think we are as viable as most teams.

Thing is, I don't know if they're the worst or not. tongue The sample size is too small, and we don't even know what the QB play looks like. I'd like to sign Macklin, I just don't think the FO will make the leap. Of course, it's JMHO.

Peen, I don't undervalue Devalve, again, the sample size is too small. Regardless, IMO, we need two viable threats on the outside to allow the O to run with all options available. I'm not sure we have even one right now.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:37 PM
Jeremy Maclin - WR - Free Agent

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jeremy Maclin is visiting the Bills on Tuesday.
Schefter adds "plans (are) being made" for Maclin to visit the Ravens on Wednesday with the Browns and Eagles also reportedly interested, but that assumes he gets out of Buffalo without a deal. Both LeSean McCoy and Tyrod Taylor have recruited Maclin while Sammy Watkins (foot) and Zay Jones (knee) are dealing with injuries. Even coming off a career-worst campaign, Maclin would represent a massive upgrade to Buffalo's depth chart.

Related: Ravens, Bills, Browns, Eagles

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jun 6 - 8:30 AM
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:38 PM
At least we're "interested".
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:49 PM

Yeah, kudos for our staff for least releasing it's a weak spot... IMO I don't think he leaves Buffalo without a contract today.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 02:53 PM
You're probably right.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:08 PM

Yeah, kudos for our staff for least releasing it's a weak spot... IMO I don't think he leaves Buffalo without a contract today.

Or the agent(s) threw out teams that makes sense based on need to drive his clients' market value up. Then the press ran with it.

Not saying the Browns are not interested, but you never know where this information is coming from.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:25 PM
I doubt he signs here too. We may be able to pick up a vet or 2 when cuts start if our staff feels we don't have enough talent at the position. Like I've said, hopefully our young guys step up in TC.
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:25 PM
Quote:

I think our offense is going to be at--or very close to--the bottom of the league, just like we usually are.

We were 30th in yards and 31st in points per game. We lost our best skilled player and maybe got worse at qb. We could have a better center if he can stay healthy and improved some at guard.

A lot of things are going to have to go right just to score a TD. I think it's going to be another long year.

I think a lot will depend on how efficiently and effectively they run the football. IMO, teams will continue crowding the box until this offense forces otherwise. It is obvious Hue/Sashi are not fortifying the passing game. Money spent enhancing the OL. Running backs are more experienced so play must come from this group.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:29 PM
I have a strong feeling our receiver corps could change drastically following cut day.
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:33 PM
j/c

Isn't there a waiting period after KC released Maclin? Unsure of the time period but I believe teams could not talk to Maclin otherwise it is tampering. I am not sure players convincing other players falls into the rule or not.

I am interested seeing where Maclin signs. He stands to make some coin. Does he chose championship play instead?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: bugs
j/c

Isn't there a waiting period after KC released Maclin? Unsure of the time period but I believe teams could not talk to Maclin otherwise it is tampering. I am not sure players convincing other players falls into the rule or not.

I am interested seeing where Maclin signs. He stands to make some coin. Does he chose championship play instead?

soon as he signed his release papers he is free to talk to whomever he choses, he doesn't have to clear waivers or anything as he is a veteran.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
j/c

soon as he signed his release papers he is free to talk to whomever he choses, he doesn't have to clear waivers or anything as he is a veteran.

Which was 4pm EST time yesterday (Monday.)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab

But we believe in the talent that we have
jmho

I'm not sure who the "we" is included in your statement. If there's one thing I've learned over the past 18 years it's to be very cautious about taking anything seriously the people trying to sell tickets have to say.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 07:21 PM
j/c...right now our 6 best Receivers are:
Coleman, Britt, Louis, Njoku, Devalve and Duke.
We also have Higgins, Hall and Payton fighting for a spot.

As noted we released Hawkins I just don't see us going for Maclin.

Possibly if we are on a SB run and its a need. But we believe in the talent that we have and know they are young and looking to see them all grow!

jmho

Browns reportedly have “expressed some interest” in WR Jeremy Maclin

The recently-released receiver could be looking at Cleveland after visits to Buffalo and Baltimore.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 07:42 PM
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns have "inquired" on free agent Jeremy Maclin and done their "due diligence."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday morning that Maclin could make a visit to Cleveland. When asked about the team's reported interest, coach Hue Jackson said "that's a good thing." The Browns have intriguing pieces at wideout, but no proven depth behind new No. 1 Kenny Britt.Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Jun 6 - 3:28 PM
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 08:14 PM
Sashi and company should at the very least do their "due diligence" and etc.

Love that Schefter is reporting it too, you can actually maybe buy into the story a little.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 08:26 PM
Scheft is very good. Not sure about the other rag. What are "intriguing pieces?" Intriguing how? Just how many drops they have? Whether Payton will have more suspensions that catches? Will Coleman have more injuries that TDs? I guess that is all "intriguing." smirk
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 08:42 PM
And hey, they may also finally be admitting that Coleman is not a #1:

Quote:
no proven depth behind new No. 1 Kenny Britt.

brownie
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 09:40 PM

Love that Schefter is reporting it too, you can actually maybe buy into the story a little.

I agree
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 09:56 PM
we could do worse. Bring him an see if he can help. That's not a far reach either.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 10:13 PM
Coach Hue Jackson on Browns reportedly showing interest in free-agent receiver Jeremy Maclin: ‘That’s a good thing’

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/coach-...-thing-1.772397

BEREA: Coach Hue Jackson likes the idea of the Browns pursuing Jeremy Maclin, the best wide receiver on the open market.

Jackson’s preference doesn’t mean they’ll sign Maclin, but it supports the logic that the Browns must at least kick the tires on a player of his caliber at a position of need.

The Kansas City Chiefs shocked the rest of the NFL by cutting Maclin on Friday.

ESPN reported he had been scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday with plans to meet with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday.

The Browns and Philadelphia Eagles also have expressed some interest, per the report.

Jackson was asked Tuesday after the seventh practice of organized team activities whether the Browns have inquired about Maclin, whose release saved the Chiefs $10 million in salary-cap space.

“I think that’s a good thing, if we did,” Jackson said. “I don’t know much about that, but to have an opportunity, one thing I know about our group is we’re going to continue to look at ways to improve our football team. I’ve said that numerous times, and I give [head of football operations] Sashi [Brown] a lot of credit for that.

“I think we’re always out there looking. If there’s a player available, then we’re going to take a peek at him and see if he can help our football team.”

Maclin, 29, had 44 catches for 536 yards and two touchdowns in 12 games last season. He missed four with a groin injury.

The previous two seasons, he had 87 catches for 1,088 yards and eight touchdowns with the Chiefs after they signed him to a five-year, $55 million contract in 2015 and 85 catches for 1,318 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2014, his final year with the Eagles.

Free-agent acquisition Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman, the 15th overall pick in last year’s draft, are the Browns’ projected starting receivers, but they’re dealing with injuries.

Britt has practiced in OTAs, a team spokesman said, but not in the three sessions open to media.

Asked if he’s battling a major injury, Britt said, “No, not at all. It’s just the schedule they’ve got me on right now, and I’m pretty sure it’s going to change.”

Coleman hasn’t practiced since May 24, when he caught a pass, fell awkwardly on the ball and absorbed cornerback Jason McCourty landing on him. Jackson has said Coleman might not practice June 13-15 during mandatory minicamp, meaning he’ll likely be shut down until training camp starts in late July.

The injuries have created more uncertainty at one of the most unproven positions on a team that went 1-15 this past season.

“We have had Corey a little bit, we’ve had Kenny more, so there’s things that I want to make sure that they understand and know the foundation and what we’re doing,” Jackson said. “Corey probably more so than Kenny right now cause Corey’s been here, he knows the language and understands it. Kenny, it’s important that he’s out there as much as he’s been because he needs to make sure he understands how to do things. I think the group, once we get them all back, get them healthy, I think we’ll represent ourselves well.”

Still, reinforcements would be welcomed.

Britt, 28, is coming off the most productive season of his eight-year NFL career. He had 68 catches for 1,002 yards and five touchdowns with the Los Angeles Rams before the Browns signed him to a four-year, $32.5 million contract in March to brace for the eventual departure of leading receiver Terrelle Pryor in free agency.

Coleman, 22, had a disappointing rookie season, compiling 33 catches for 413 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games and missing the other six with a broken hand.

“[Coleman] was having a great OTAs [before his injury],” Britt said. “This was my first time actually getting to see him practice out there on the field to tell you the truth, and he’s a great complement to any other guy that’s on the other side. Regardless of who’s at quarterback, he’s out there making plays.”

That’s good to hear because Jackson has challenged Coleman to ascend to the team’s lead receiver. But the bottom line is Coleman has yet to stay healthy.

The Browns’ only other receivers of note are the three they drafted last year: Ricardo Louis (fourth round), Jordan Payton (fifth) and Rashard Higgins (fifth).

Louis, 23, had 18 catches for 205 yards. Higgins, 22, had six catches for 77 yards. They played in all 16 games. Payton, 23, played in four and had 1 catch for 3 yards. The NFL suspended him for four games for violating its policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

So can they make the leap after combing for a mere 25 catches for 285 yards?

“They don’t look like rookies out there on the practice field,” Britt said. “I know a game is different than practice, but those guys have come along. I watch them. I learn from them each and every day, how they get off the line of scrimmage, how they study in the classroom. They actually help me out with the playbook. So those guys, you can’t really tell they were rookies last year because those guys came along.”

But not enough for the Browns to not be interested in Maclin.

“Don’t know Jeremy personally. All I know is that we got drafted in the same year,” Britt said. “But if they do bring him in, we’ll welcome him with open arms like they welcomed me.”
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 11:01 PM
maybe Eric Decker? he was just released
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/06/17 11:03 PM
maybe Eric Decker? he was just released

Basically any veteran who is not washed up will help us at the wide receiver position.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:10 AM
Eric Decker was released? Are you kidding me?

Man, the Jets are the new Browns.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:16 AM
apparently the Jets are taking us to the woodshed this year.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:17 AM
They are a mess!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 04:01 AM
Decker is returning from a couple of injuries, but I would still take a look at him.
Posted By: Jester Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 11:50 AM
You get your choice of Decker or Macklin
Assuming both are healthy and willing to sign for the same contract, who do you pick?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
Assuming both are healthy and willing to sign for the same contract, who do you pick?

I prefer Decker for his size.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:20 PM
Let me guess. You interpreted my post as a personal attack against you and if I respond, you will say I started it?

Yep that was it...read much. you gave some stats inresponse to a poster stating Devalve will be a surprise. Like that actually means anything putting up his rookie year stats when its well known that he was not the starter.

It was not an insult it was a difference of opinion to your post but once again you have to make it personal...your hate to me is amazing. So how bout responding to my opinion that your near sighted view is wrong...instead of this personal BS.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:22 PM
Talking football, again?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:23 PM

Either one would provide a huge upgrade to our WR corps.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:24 PM
Talking football, again?

still waiting for a football response from you but you chose to side track to another hate post...smh grow up
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:26 PM
Talking football, again?

still waiting for a football response from you but you chose to side track to another hate post...smh grow up

Well .. u ignoring his personal insults and sticking to football didn't last long ... superconfused

Come on bro ... u can do this ... please tabber ... U GOT THIS BRO ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:27 PM
Guess I'd go with Macklin since he was only hurt last year and Decker has missed time the last two years ...

Witch ones younger? ..

I actually like decker more ... but he's hurt every year it seems ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:29 PM
Talking football, again?

Here we go again w/you playing the victim and calling me the bully.

I made a slew of football posts on this thread. I posted early and often on how good Maclin is and how he could help us.

I did not make one comment towards you. I posted Devalve's stats in response to peen saying that Cal was underestimating Devalve. You jumped in and insulted me.

Now, you are claiming you are the victim and I am the bully. rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Guess I'd go with Macklin since he was only hurt last year and Decker has missed time the last two years ...

Witch ones younger? ..

Maclin by a year or less.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:32 PM
How did I insult him?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:33 PM

It never, ever, in a million years will hurt to look at a guy to see if he fits.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 12:59 PM
yeah you are right I should not lower myself I will try better.

Maclin 5/11/88 29 years old

2016 NFL Groin
Maclin injured his groin during midweek practice and missed 2 games. He tried to play but re-aggravated it and missed 2 more.

2015 NFL Head
Maclin hit his head hard on the turf after being tackled in week 6 and had to leave the game. He missed the following week

2014 NFL Leg
Maclin was held out of a large portion of the preseason with a hamstring injury

2013 NFL Knee
Maclin tore his same right ACL that he tore in college. He is out for 2013

2012 NFL Hip
Jeremy Maclin was dealing with a right hip flexor strain and hip pointer injuries that occurred during the game with Ravens and left the game

2011 NFL Leg
Jeremy Maclin left the game against the Giants due to a hamstring injury.

2011 NFL Shoulder
Jeremy Maclin had a right shoulder sprain he suffered in the loss to the Cardinals. He didn't return to the game and missed one game after.

2008 College Ankle
Maclin strained his Peroneal tendon on his left ankle during a contest with Illinois and didn?t return to the game.

2007 College Shoulder
WR Maclin had a bruise on his shoulder and left the game vs. Texas Tech.

2006 College Knee
Jeremy Maclin tore his ACL on his right knee in the offseason practice and underwent surgery. He missed all twelve games.

Kenny Britt 9/19/88 28 years old.
No major injuries.

17th game of 2016 was only game he was listed as Doubtful as well as a couple of questionable games from 2016 thigh injuries games 4 & 5.

Outside of that only his third season was he questionable in game 4 with neck & rib injuries.

Eric Decker 3/15/87 30 years old

2016 NFL Shoulder
Decker injured his shoulder in Week 3 action and it progressively got worse throughout the week. Has partially torn rotator cuff.

2015 NFL Knee
Decker hurt his knee in the week 2 win over the Colts. It was iagnosed as a mild PCL sprain. He missed the following game

2014 NFL Leg
Decker aggravated a hamstring injury he suffered during the preseason and had to leave the week 2 tilt against the Packers

2011 NFL Knee
Decker suffered an sprain of his MCL - he left the game and missed the next regular game this season.

2010 NFL Ankle
Eric Decker hurt his left ankle during practice.

2010 NFL Foot
Eric Decker had a foot issue, it was said that Decker suffered a foot sprain in the early preseason training

2010 NFL Foot
Decker was suffering from a Lisfranc sprain (torn ligament) in his left foot and underwent surgery on February.

2009 College Foot
Eric Decker had undergone left surgery on his Lisfranc injury he sustained against Ohio Bobcats and had to miss the game.

2008 College Ankle
Decker suffered a high ankle sprain in a game vs. Michigan Wolverines, he left the game and later missed another.

I think Maclin has had the most wear and tear on his body...not sure how Decker's recovery has gone on his rotator cuff by all reports I read he is cleared to play.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 01:05 PM
How did I insult him?

I'm here to talk football, learn and have fun ... u think I'm getting sucked in to this crap ... NOT A SHOT ... your posse's already big enough .. rofl ..

Tabber opened the door to ignoring your non football posts ... i tried to keep him focused on his goal ... we'll see how long it lasts ...

U GOT THIS TABBER ... thumbsup

I'll reply to your football posts ... don't expect me to sucked in to this crap ...

Now go ahead and tell me what an ass i am and how wrong i am and to stay out of it ... i have broad shoulders .. i can handle it w/o feeling the need to respond ... thumbsup
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 01:08 PM
Guess Decker's more durable than i thought ..

Can i change my mind now that i am INFORMED ... *L* ...

I'd take Decker ...

The Jets are going to try and trade him ... if they can't .. he will be released very very soon ...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 01:52 PM
j/c:

Re: Maclin

Quote:
“I think that’s a good thing, if we did,’‘ Jackson told reporters. “I don’t know much about that, but to have an opportunity, one thing I know about our group is we’re going to continue to look at ways to improve our football team.

http://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-browns-colts-jaguars/

Seems like a HC that's been given MORE power with personnel matters, huh?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 01:56 PM
j/c:

Quote:
“I think that’s a good thing, if we did,’‘ Jackson told reporters. “I don’t know much about that, but to have an opportunity, one thing I know about our group is we’re going to continue to look at ways to improve our football team.

I was thinking the opposite.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 01:57 PM
Guess Decker's more durable than i thought ..

Can i change my mind now that i am INFORMED ... *L* ...

I'd take Decker ...

The Jets are going to try and trade him ... if they can't .. he will be released very very soon ...

Like, we need to acquire him. Decker would be a huge asset to our WR core. However, this increases our chances of being able to acquire him or Maclin.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:03 PM
Decker, I think.

But if they can get off the bench without injuring themselves, fog a mirror, and catch, then they can help us out at WR. Either would be a plus IMO.

If Pryor is reinstated, can he be designated to the PS? Or do we need to cut somebody at roster limit if set to "free" him from the NFL. Just been thinking how awkward later if he is allowed to go out and play.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
If Pryor is reinstated, can he be designated to the PS? Or do we need to cut somebody at roster limit if set to "free" him from the NFL. Just been thinking how awkward later if he is allowed to go out and play.

Gordon? And no.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
j/c:

Quote:

I was thinking the opposite.

Me too. That's how I tried to come across. Clearly, a fail by me.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 02:49 PM
Offer a 5th rounder for Deck.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 04:20 PM

Either? Both?

I really like Decker. He is a big receiver with great range. He has had major injuries, but if he's healthy, I think he would help a lot.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 05:03 PM

Free agent Jeremy Maclin's visit with the Bills has spilled over into Wednesday.
Marlin arrived in Buffalo early Tuesday and was initially expected to visit the Ravens on Wednesday. Instead, he's being showed around town by former teammate LeSean McCoy and QB Tyrod Taylor, who are putting on the recruiting hats and trying to keep Maclin from leaving town without a contract. We should know something on this front by the end of the day, one way or another.

Related: Bills

Source: buffalobills.com Jun 7 - 11:24 AM
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 05:59 PM

Free agent Jeremy Maclin's visit with the Bills has spilled over into Wednesday.

A solid sign that a contract with the Bills is a lock...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 06:05 PM
He's heading to Baltimore now, allegedly.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 06:27 PM
Jeremy Maclin to visit Ravens after Bills meetup

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...er-bills-meetup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 07:42 PM
even if he doesn't intend to listen to the Ravens at all, it would have been foolish to not make the visit. If nothing else, it may cause the Bills to panic a little and maybe make a rash offer.

Ideally, he then plays it out further and visits the cash-flush Browns and we knock his socks off wink
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 07:49 PM
I'd prefer he came here first, but that's just me... :-p
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 08:17 PM

Free agent Jeremy Maclin is flying to Baltimore to visit the Ravens on Wednesday.
Maclin's tour in Buffalo rolled over into Wednesday, giving the sense the two sides could be onto something, but Maclin wants to see what else is out there. The Ravens are the only other known team to have lined up a visit with the 29-year-old. Baltimore is looking for an inside receiver to help in the red zone. Eric Decker is a better fit, but Maclin is obviously no slouch, either.

Related: Bills, Ravens

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jun 7 - 2:13 PM
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
even if he doesn't intend to listen to the Ravens at all, it would have been foolish to not make the visit. If nothing else, it may cause the Bills to panic a little and maybe make a rash offer.

Ideally, he then plays it out further and visits the cash-flush Browns and we knock his socks off wink

I bet Ravens, with Pitta injured and released, would be willing to dig deeper into the wallet than we are/would be.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 09:23 PM
Meant Gordon. Dumb hands can't type. Thanx for correction & answer.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 09:52 PM
We reached out to him. If he doesn't make a visit, it means he doesn't want to come here.

No big deal.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 10:45 PM
Do we know for sure that we reached out to Maclin, or was that just a media report? Hue didn't seem to have any knowledge of it.

Oh, before they go off...........I am NOT saying that we didn't reach out to him. I am only asking if we know for sure. It is a question. Not a statement.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/07/17 11:56 PM

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Bills and free agent Jeremy Maclin are "hung up" over salary.

It's why Maclin left his two-day visit without a contract. The Ravens reportedly want to get a deal done with Maclin and have a chance to close on Wednesday. Maclin was owed $12.4 million from the Chiefs this year, but he may have to settle for a lot less this late in the offseason.

Related: Bills

Source: NFL.com Jun 7 - 5:51 PM
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 12:26 AM
I don't get the hype with Maclin.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 12:30 AM
Do we know for sure that we reached out to Maclin, or was that just a media report? Hue didn't seem to have any knowledge of it.

Oh, before they go off...........I am NOT saying that we didn't reach out to him. I am only asking if we know for sure. It is a question. Not a statement.

I read somewhere that Hue was glad we reached out. Where did you read that Hue had no idea??
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 12:49 AM
You didn't answer my question.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 12:49 AM
Coach Hue Jackson on Browns reportedly showing interest in free-agent receiver Jeremy Maclin: ‘That’s a good thing’

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/coach-...-thing-1.772397

“I think that’s a good thing, if we did,” Jackson said. “I don’t know much about that, but to have an opportunity, one thing I know about our group is we’re going to continue to look at ways to improve our football team. I’ve said that numerous times, and I give [head of football operations] Sashi [Brown] a lot of credit for that.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 01:12 AM
You are right on the ball as always, Vambo! Do you maintain a working directory of all football-related articles? Good stuff... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 01:38 AM
Thanks for backing me up, Vambo.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 12:13 PM
Best fit for Maclin is Baltimore. As for QB's, they have the best sure thing in Flacco...

Money being equal (and it never is), Baltimore is the place for him.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 12:16 PM
Actually that sort of backs up both posters if that is possible...lol laugh
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 01:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that this.... "“I think that’s a good thing, if we did,” Jackson said. “I don’t know much about that..... Pretty much backs up that we don't know for sure one way or the other. I mean since Hue doesn't seem to know one way or the other. lol
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I don't get the hype with Maclin.

Yeah... my opinion is that I'd rather have him than Britt, and I think getting him would be an upgrade to the WR room. We had some dollars set aside for Pryor, so I don't see a problem dipping into some of that to give to Maclin.

Maclin is a slightly better backup/consolation option for Pryor than Britt.
Posted By: BustkeviousMingo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 08:12 PM
Maclin leaves Ravens visit without deal

https://www.thescore.com/news/1315548
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 08:14 PM
Interesting that there is no mention of further visits pending.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 09:50 PM
Maybe we come to the rescue now that he sees the market isn't as good as he thought.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 11:31 PM
Eric Decker - WR - Jets

The MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Jets have had Eric Decker trade talks with the Ravens.
Breer reports the Jets have also had talks with other teams. The Jets are trying to get something for Decker before simply cutting him loose. The Ravens might be content to wait Gang Green out, as no other suitors have been officially reported. The Ravens, who just hosted free agent Jeremy Maclin for a visit, badly need receiving help. Decker would instantly be the No. 1.

Related: Ravens

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter Jun 8 - 5:41 PM
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/08/17 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that this.... "“I think that’s a good thing, if we did,” Jackson said. “I don’t know much about that..... Pretty much backs up that we don't know for sure one way or the other. I mean since Hue doesn't seem to know one way or the other. lol

IMO, Hue not getting involved is a good sign. Hue trust Sashi to do his job. Sashi trust Hue to do his. A far cry different then control freak Farmer!

I'm hoping Sashi does not get Maclin. That'll mean last years receivers are more ready than we think. I like the thought they stay committed grooming the young. Having Maclin will improve the receiving corp, but it won't add wins to make Cleveland a contender.
Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/09/17 01:36 PM
I think at this point the FO does not discuss every brain fart with Hue...they know what he wants, needs and likes.

I'm sure if Maclin agreed to a visit. Hue would have been notified a.s.a.p. So I can imagine how that all went and why he was not in the loop on us going for a looksey

jmho
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/10/17 12:00 PM
I think at this point the FO does not discuss every brain fart with Hue...they know what he wants, needs and likes.

I'm sure if Maclin agreed to a visit. Hue would have been notified a.s.a.p. So I can imagine how that all went and why he was not in the loop on us going for a looksey

jmho

I agree. Plus, Hue has been busy with OTAs and planning the full mini camp in a week. Some seem to want to keep morphing Hue in to a role he doesn't have.
s
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/10/17 12:19 PM
I think some people believe every word they read. Wait.....provided it fits in w/their line of thinking.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/10/17 12:21 PM
Probably so.

Just the times we live. You either watch Fox or CNN.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/10/17 12:24 PM
Other than certain posters feeling the need to be "right," I really don't get why anyone would be upset w/my opinion that Hue spoke w/ownership and got the message across that it's very important that we win some games.

I see it as a positive that ownership and the FO being open-minded and flexible, which is very unlike those certain posters on here who need to make every disagreement a war.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/10/17 12:27 PM
Like i said, the times we live. People today are conditioned to argue if things aren't exactly as they view.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 03:26 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports both the Bills and Ravens expect Jeremy Maclin to choose his new team on Monday.

Maclin visited Buffalo early last week before taking a trip to Baltimore on Wednesday. Both teams need him, but Maclin's fantasy prospects would look much better with the Ravens, who lack a true No. 1 and offer a more voluminous passing attack. Once Maclin makes his choice, teams should start getting serious about Eric Decker.

Related: Eric Decker, Ravens, Bills

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jun 12 - 8:16 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 04:03 PM
Does this mean we haven't brought him in?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 04:35 PM
I'd say it means we won't bring him in.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 07:32 PM
Maclin signed with ravens. nfl.com
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 08:39 PM
Even coming off a subpar year in KC Maclin would have been a upgrade to the current recieving options on the Browns
The Browns have so much money under the cap they could have afforded him.
I guess this year is more about development than winning
Has this team ever gone into a season with intentions to win the North other than 2002?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 08:41 PM
Even coming off a subpar year in KC Maclin would have been a upgrade to the current recieving options on the Browns
The Browns have so much money under the cap they could have afforded him.
I guess this year is more about development than winning
Has this team ever gone into a season with intentions to win the North other than 2002?

We aren't going to win the North this year no matter what we do.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 09:39 PM

We aren't going to win the North this year no matter what we do.

We aren't favored to win the north.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 09:47 PM
Does this mean we haven't brought him in?

No doubt. I never saw anything about bringing him in. All I ever saw was we had interest.

Either not enough, or he didn't have any.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 09:54 PM
Isn't that the proverbial narrative every year....we aren't gonna win the North it's gonna be another 4-12 year.....
Yet Browns ownership will charge full Price for tickets for a product that can't even challenge the North
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 10:59 PM
Isn't that the proverbial narrative every year....we aren't gonna win the North it's gonna be another 4-12 year.....
Yet Browns ownership will charge full Price for tickets for a product that can't even challenge the North

Yeah, except that this time, for the first time in a long time,. I get the feeling that these guys "get it". I also really, really like Hue Jackson as the head coach. I think we're heading in the right direction, and we'll see significant improvement this year.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 11:08 PM
j/c:

I didn't think it would happen, but it is disappointing, non-the-less.

Hopefully, we make a run at Decker.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 11:08 PM
I agree. I think the coach is good and am seeing competent moves by the FO.

Those two things usually add up to success.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 11:15 PM
I'd be surprised if we go after Decker. I think the FO and even Hue for that matter are pretty dedicated to seeing what the young guys have.

I think at least one of the receivers we picked up last year will be chucked this year. My bet would be Payton.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/12/17 11:21 PM
You might be right, but I think that would be a mistake. I say this because I think our young quarterbacks would really benefit from having a WR who understands the game and can run good routes.
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 12:55 AM
j/c:

I didn't think it would happen, but it is disappointing, non-the-less.

Hopefully, we make a run at Decker.

I believe our best chance for Decker was via trade. After playing in NY, I can't see Decker wanting another go round with a low end team.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 01:27 AM

Jeremy Maclin signs two-year contract with Ravens

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...act-with-ravens
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 02:42 AM
One of Louis/Higgins will hopefully step up
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 03:56 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
One of Louis/Higgins will hopefully step up

I hope they both do.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 10:28 AM
Dang, Flacco has another weapon..
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 10:37 AM
j/c:

Looks like they're sticking to the plan.
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 12:21 PM
jc...

Building the Browns via free agency?

Why would the Browns need to add another high dollar free agent like Maclin?

The front office drafted 4 wrs in 2016 along with two TEs, 1 in 2016 and 1 in 2017.

Plus, the front office replaced Pryor with Kenny Britt..so why would the Browns be looking to add another free agent wr?

WOW, the Browns fail to sign their top WR for 2016, allowing him to leave during free agency...replace him with Britt..but the are still looking to spend big (if necessary} to add another WR.

...that does not make sense !
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 01:23 PM
We dont know if the browns had much interest in Maclin.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 01:32 PM
j/c:
Quote:
The #Ravens signed WR Jeremy Maclin to a 2-year deal worth $11M, source said. A hefty investment.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/874622637992968192
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 01:40 PM
Quote:
that does not make sense

WOOHOO if you think it doesn't make sense then we must be on the right track. nanner
Posted By: bonefish Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 02:34 PM

When Anquan Boldin became available a few years ago my very first thought was "this is a guy that could really help the Browns."

It didn't happen. He went to the Ravens.

Deja vous it happens again this time the player is Maclin.

The Browns lack savy veterans who know how to play. How to practice and prepare. Receivers who can run an entire NFL route tree.

It blows my mind that you have money, You want to get better and you let the Ravens go ahead and sign Maclin.

Am I missing something here? Is this some kind of management macho thing? "We drafted all these receivers last year and by God they will be on the team and are going to play".

We have inexperienced quarterbacks. Guys who are trying to prove they can play in the NFL. Is it faulty thinking to believe that a veteran receiver could help?

This kind of stuff sticks sideways.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 02:43 PM
I don't agree with that. Signing a guy with a 2 year window doesn't make much sense for this team. At some point down the road it might.

You have to come to grips with the way we operate and what we are doing.

That said, Decker would be a better fit. Maybe we are looking at him, but for the same reasons, I tend to think not.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

When Anquan Boldin became available a few years ago my very first thought was "this is a guy that could really help the Browns."

It didn't happen. He went to the Ravens.

Deja vous it happens again this time the player is Maclin.

The Browns lack savy veterans who know how to play. How to practice and prepare. Receivers who can run an entire NFL route tree.

It blows my mind that you have money, You want to get better and you let the Ravens go ahead and sign Maclin.

Am I missing something here? Is this some kind of management macho thing? "We drafted all these receivers last year and by God they will be on the team and are going to play".

We have inexperienced quarterbacks. Guys who are trying to prove they can play in the NFL. Is it faulty thinking to believe that a veteran receiver could help?

This kind of stuff sticks sideways.

I'm really hoping that we reached out to Maclin and his response was ... Thanks but no thanks ... that would make sense ... were not ready for prime time yet and right now our QB situation is BEYOND ABYSMAL ... theres a shot that Kizer could be the man ... but right now hes a HUGE QUESTION MARK and is a year away ....

If we didn't reach out to him .. that's STUPID ... for all the reasons u just mentioned ...

Right now our WR corps has to be one of if not the worst in the league ... Maclin would have stepped right in as our #1 ...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 02:44 PM
Hey, I agree with you. I understand wanting to get experience with the young guys, but if you have to let the worst young guy go so you can keep a savvy veteran on the roster to teach the better young guys, then do it. Maybe they think Britt is that guy... but a veteran would help bring along the WRs, would help bring along whichever young QB ends up starting, etc...

Building through the draft, building with youth, doesn't mean that EVERYBODY has to be under 25. These young guys need leadership and not just from coaches, they need veterans to emulate, veterans to call them out, etc..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 02:47 PM
It was reported we had interest. Not exactly sure what that means, but evidently if we did, he didn't, since he never came to visit.
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 04:31 PM
Quote:
Right now our WR corps has to be one of if not the worst in the league ... Maclin would have stepped right in as our #1 ...

How can that be true...the Harvard Boys decided they did not need their best producing WR of 2016 and did not sign him.

Sashi and Jimmy acted like 1000 yd receivers are available everywhere...thus no need to sign their best WR of 2016.

Jimmy and Sashi drafted 4 wrs in 2016 and this is year 2..there should be no need for any additional wrs...

UNLESS, all/or some of the 2016 draft picks are under performing and the coaching staff is not happy with the quality of wrs the front office added via the draft and free agency.

The Browns owners and front office picked and drafted each WR on this team...if these WRs suck, it's on Jimmy and Sashi.

The Browns should not have any issues at the WR position since our analytics driven front office judged the talent now on the Browns roster and if analytics works as advertised, the Browns should have 4 wrs (drafted in 2016) who are of superior talent.

The best WR from the 2016 draft was available to the Browns analytical driven draft team TWICE...and Jimmy and Sashi passed on Ohio State's Michael Thomas, 6-3/203, 92 catches/1137yds for the Saints.

Michael Thomas was judged NOT GOOD ENOUGH for the Browns, according to our analytics guys.

Wonder what kind of numbers Terrelle Pryor would had if he had Drew Brees throwing to him?

Pryor had 77 catches for 1007 yds with the Browns QBs..anyone think Pryor could have had a performance similar to Michael Thomas' 2016 performance?

But Terrelle Pryor was not good enough for the Browns.

When teams refuse to sign their best WRs, chances are management is misjudging the WR talent.

If the Browns have problems at the WR position..they created the problem themselves because they had opportunities to land some of the best talent available and the analytics boys judged the best talent as NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Posted By: eotab Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 04:39 PM
Usually that means they say Thanks but no thanks and move on. I don't think we announce those responses. I doubt we just ignored their availability.

jmho - and no I don't have links...just strong opinion.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 04:45 PM
We offered Pryor more money than anyone else and he signs a one year deal in DC. You want to bash the FO but we gave Pryor his shot and he took a lot less money to go elsewhere. To hell with him.

As for Britt, we gave Britt who is imho a better receiver than Pryor the money we offered Pryor. atleast Britt can run a slant to the outside instead of making it into a halfass curl route like Pryor did last year.

As for Brees, he has made a lot of so so receivers look good and he could probably make pryor look a little bit better or since he cant run a dependable route, he might not make the team. Will see how he does in DC.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 04:56 PM
j/c

to me, our WRs stink. probably the worst WR group in the NFL. I hated the Britt signing, Coleman hasn't gotten off to a good start (to put it mildly), and the other young WR's are MEH.

I hope the TE's help to take pressure off of the WRs
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 04:59 PM
Those who accept "WE TRIED"...

...you are simply making excuses for the analytics boys failure to get the job done.

If Jimmy and Sashi now have issues at the WR position...they created the entire problem themselves.

Jimmy and Sashi decided who to draft, who to sign and who to pass on. They passed on a lot of WR talent that fit the mold that the HC described...bigger, stronger and faster WRs.

The present situation the Browns are facing at WR is 100% on the Browns owner and Sashi Brown.

When it comes to sign a contract with your players, there is no in between answer...you either get the players signed or you fail to sign that player.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE BROWNS FAILURE TO ADD TOP WR TALENT...they had their chances and the present WR situation is the result.

It all comes down to the judgement of the Analytics guys, the Owner and our GM.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 05:02 PM
j/c

to me, our WRs stink. probably the worst WR group in the NFL. I hated the Britt signing, Coleman hasn't gotten off to a good start (to put it mildly), and the other young WR's are MEH.

I hope the TE's help to take pressure off of the WRs

I won't go as far as say they stink, but I will say most of them are unproven. Minus Britt, of course, who has had a pretty good career so far. Nothing spectacular but solid, IMO.

I also feel like, generally, the TE position usually has a larger learning curve just like a WR than other positions in the NFL. Perhaps I could be wrong. I think there is an expectation that both DeValve and Coleman step it up this year and improve upon 2016. With Barnidge gone and Njoku a rookie, I'm guessing DeValve will see a bunch more targets at least early on in the season. A healthy Coleman should also see the same. We'll see.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 05:04 PM
I think I may be the only Kenny Britt fan but he is big physical has a huge catch radius and plays the middle of the field as good as any receiver in the league. Sadly our QBs may be an upgrade for him lol
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 05:05 PM
I like him too. I'm not saying he's a underrated pro-bowler or anything but he can make a difference on the field.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 05:24 PM

As for Britt, we gave Britt who is imho a better receiver than Pryor the money we offered Pryor.

rofl rofl rofl

That was funny ... thanks for the laugh ... good stuff man ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 05:25 PM
I think I may be the only Kenny Britt fan but he is big physical has a huge catch radius and plays the middle of the field as good as any receiver in the league. Sadly our QBs may be an upgrade for him lol

Then it got better ....

rofl rofl rofl rofl ...

Quit it .. my side hurts from laughing so hard ...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 05:48 PM

Not sure how a two year window means anything. You sign him for two years. He helps you get better. Wins are important to a team who has not won.

After two years you decide whether he worth signing again.

They have draft picks. They have money. They can still invest in more receivers later if needed.

What they don't have are guys who can help win now.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: mac

...you are simply making excuses for the analytics boys failure to get the job done.

If Jimmy and Sashi now have issues at the WR position...they created the entire problem themselves.

Jimmy and Sashi decided who to draft, who to sign and who to pass on. They passed on a lot of WR talent that fit the mold that the HC described...bigger, stronger and faster WRs.

The present situation the Browns are facing at WR is 100% on the Browns owner and Sashi Brown.

When it comes to sign a contract with your players, there is no in between answer...you either get the players signed or you fail to sign that player.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE BROWNS FAILURE TO ADD TOP WR TALENT...they had their chances and the present WR situation is the result.

Further proof that Mac can turn literally any topic into a FO bashing extravaganza. I could be talking about preferences in cheese and Mac could create some type of FO failure to pick Gouda over Mozzarella.

I'm not that fussed about Maclin. He's a decent WR without a doubt but he's not the difference between a Super Bowl or not for us. He's a good player but not the best fit for us right now. We've got a crop of young guys, a solid vet at #2 in Britt and we're committed to developing Coleman. We're trying to build a team here that can grow together. I'm looking forward to seeing more Louis and Higgins and seeing whether they can contribute or not.

Sure, point at 2016 WRs and say we made the wrong choices and pretend that hindsight isn't 20/20. LOTS of FOs miss on draft picks....scratch that. ALL FOs miss on draft picks.

I look at our situation, with a set starting duo, and think do I want to develop young guys to play that 3rd and 4th receiver or do I want a short term rental coming off a bad season? I can see the logic for playing the young guys. We're playing chess here - not checkers.

I admit I wanted to keep Hawkins around as a vet presence but I understand the logic in letting him walk.

And for God's sake, enough with the "we failed to sign Pryor" nonsense. The only thing we failed to do was overpay for a player despite offering a more than generous deal.

You're just getting ridiculous.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 08:12 PM
Our 1-year guys (Coleman, Higgins, Louis, Payton) have to show up this year. If not, we will be bringing in more talent via FA and/or draft.

I like the fact that the FO is giving them a chance. This never happens so kudos to the FO for trying to develop the guys they draft.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 09:20 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 09:43 PM
Take your crap to your thread.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 09:49 PM

Take your FO talk to the FO thread. Stay of topic or zip it.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 09:50 PM

I like him too. I think he is a good addition.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 10:56 PM
Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 11:06 PM

I like him too. I think he is a good addition.

me three.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 11:41 PM
mac gets ripped for being single-minded and rightfully so, however, I believe a lot of you just "like" just about every move the Browns make.

Here are some links to Britt. Tell me if you still like him:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/nfl-athletes-in-trouble-with-the-law/34/

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/03/eagles_may_be_fortunate_that_kenny_britt_signed_wi.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1828769-has-kenny-britts-nfl-career-come-to-an-end

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kenny-britt-police-chase-tennessee-titans-arrested-041211

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear...m=.b57337ceccf1

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...ms_in_past.html

Britt was a former first round pick who has been arrested 9 times and was a major disappointment in Tenn. They ended up giving up on him. Other than "he has to be good because our FO never makes mistakes," I'm not sure why people like him so much.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 11:48 PM
I have come to expect that from receivers. Most of them are egg heads. At least in the last 15 years or so.

Not sure why that is....and thoughts?
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/13/17 11:52 PM
hmmm...I like him because he has good size and cracked a 1,000 yards last year with Goff and Case throwing the ball of all people.

their QB's were worse than ours imo.

lol don't think I ever said the F.O. never makes mistakes. just my opinion my man.

who knows I could be wrong idk.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:00 AM
Okay, but I don't think my reply was nearly as nasty, mean, and confrontational as jfan's post about mac's reaction to when a tree falls, peen's comment about mac taking his crap out of here, and GM's "Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?"

I actually provided links about Britt's troubles and gave a few facts. I don't think that was all that mean compared to the abuse mac got.

But, that's just my opinion.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:06 AM
Okay, but I don't think my reply was nearly as nasty, mean, and confrontational as jfan's post about mac's reaction to when a tree falls, peen's comment about mac taking his crap out of here, and GM's "Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?"

I actually provided links about Britt's troubles and gave a few facts. I don't think that was all that mean compared to the abuse mac got.

lol I didn't take your reply as anything, but a reply my friend.

I didn't mean to come across as being offended. was not my intent.

just trying to reply with my opinion on Britt is all.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:25 AM
IMO the front office has made some good and some bad moves so far. I am not ready to judge them "Suprise suprise" They deserve another one to two FULL years before we deceide what they have done is either good or bad.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:27 AM
I know 101. Sorry. I just had to head others off at the pass, if you know what I mean. wink
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:28 AM

Give it more time.
Jeremy Maclin wasn't going to sing an 2 year 11 million dollar deal with the Browns, because nobody like Maclin is going to want to play for a team that loses so often.

The Browns have lost respect around the league vs all 31 other teams.

The Browns are not going to get their respect back until they start winning on a consistent basis.
They won't win consistenty as long as better players, who are free agents, have their choice, and the prevailing opinion all over the country is the Browns are a million to one odds to win a championship, or even make the playoffs, ongoing, for more than a decade, and going on a generation.

If, an organization, like the team he signed for, can show a free agent that the team has about 8 or 9 key role players on offense, and they are top quality guys, and if you join them you will fit into one of those spots, and together, you'd have a real shot, because one, that team made the playoffs and the superbowl twice since 2000, then surely a good free agent would want to be a part of that, and sign there.

And a team like them can say one thing the Browns just can't say. They get to play the Browns, twice a year, and the Browns lose so often.

So YES! The Browns are not signing the best of the best!
And constantly pointing it out is going to accomplish, what?

And Yes, I said. AS long as your team is so awful, the teams in your division will be able to say they get to play against you, twice a year, and that will help them land free agents, who want to win.

Be honest. Wouldn't you like to look at the Browns schedule and see a team in your division, that only won 1 game last year, and only 3 the year before that, and hasn't made the playoffs since 2001,

You'd be like, OK! at least we know we're going to beat them twice, win 7 of the other 14 and we're in for a wild card maybe.

Maybe that's the difference between the Browns and the other teams in the AFC North. The Browns don't get the Browns on their schedule.

If this is going to change, it's going to have to change.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:30 AM
I agree, bro. I didn't like some of the early moves, but I really do like a lot of their recent moves and some of their early moves.

Despite what some posters keep saying about me [and of course I have to ignore their fabrications or risk suspension,] I have said over and over that I try to evaluate each move based on its individual merits. It's too early to give a summative evaluation.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:34 AM
no worries my man smile
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:42 AM
I agree, bro. I didn't like some of the early moves, but I really do like a lot of their recent moves and some of their early moves.

Despite what some posters keep saying about me [and of course I have to ignore their fabrications or risk suspension,] I have said over and over that I try to evaluate each move based on its individual merits. It's too early to give a summative evaluation.

I know you post from the heart bro. You get bashed more often than you should, I get listed as a homer more than I should. BUT time will always bear out the truth.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:46 AM

My comment wasn't mean. He has been nursing his FO thread for months, then he comes out of there to spread his front office BS in a football thread about a player. If he gets to keep his BS front office thread up for 6 months to spread his crap, I don't expect to hear him say [censored] in other threads about the FO. He needs to keep his crap in his thread. He needs to keep his puss in his thread. That is as in a infection.

Be real!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 01:10 AM
With all due respect, mac voiced his opinion and did not insult anyone. Not sure what is wrong w/voicing an opinion?

Furthermore, this kinda is a FO thing. Our WR unit is a huge concern. Maclin is a true professional who can run the complete route tree. It seems like he would be a great fit, but it "appears" that he never even came in for a visit.

I'm not dogging the FO here, but I think mac had the right to voice his disapproval and not be attacked for it.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 01:14 AM

Give it more time.
Jeremy Maclin wasn't going to sing an 2 year 11 million dollar deal with the Browns, because nobody like Maclin is going to want to play for a team that loses so often.

The Browns have lost respect around the league vs all 31 other teams.

The Browns are not going to get their respect back until they start winning on a consistent basis.
They won't win consistenty as long as better players, who are free agents, have their choice, and the prevailing opinion all over the country is the Browns are a million to one odds to win a championship, or even make the playoffs, ongoing, for more than a decade, and going on a generation.

If, an organization, like the team he signed for, can show a free agent that the team has about 8 or 9 key role players on offense, and they are top quality guys, and if you join them you will fit into one of those spots, and together, you'd have a real shot, because one, that team made the playoffs and the superbowl twice since 2000, then surely a good free agent would want to be a part of that, and sign there.

And a team like them can say one thing the Browns just can't say. They get to play the Browns, twice a year, and the Browns lose so often.

So YES! The Browns are not signing the best of the best!
And constantly pointing it out is going to accomplish, what?

And Yes, I said. AS long as your team is so awful, the teams in your division will be able to say they get to play against you, twice a year, and that will help them land free agents, who want to win.

Be honest. Wouldn't you like to look at the Browns schedule and see a team in your division, that only won 1 game last year, and only 3 the year before that, and hasn't made the playoffs since 2001,

You'd be like, OK! at least we know we're going to beat them twice, win 7 of the other 14 and we're in for a wild card maybe.

Maybe that's the difference between the Browns and the other teams in the AFC North. The Browns don't get the Browns on their schedule.

If this is going to change, it's going to have to change.

I can half way agree with you Throw.

I say half way. I would be a tad more on board but then this comes to mind.

Zeitler, Tretter, McCourty, Collins, J. Taylor. there were one or two others, but not at the caliber of these guys imo.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 03:40 AM
mac gets ripped for being single-minded and rightfully so, however, I believe a lot of you just "like" just about every move the Browns make.

Here are some links to Britt. Tell me if you still like him:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/nfl-athletes-in-trouble-with-the-law/34/

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/03/eagles_may_be_fortunate_that_kenny_britt_signed_wi.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1828769-has-kenny-britts-nfl-career-come-to-an-end

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kenny-britt-police-chase-tennessee-titans-arrested-041211

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear...m=.b57337ceccf1

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...ms_in_past.html

Britt was a former first round pick who has been arrested 9 times and was a major disappointment in Tenn. They ended up giving up on him. Other than "he has to be good because our FO never makes mistakes," I'm not sure why people like him so much.

The Britt signing was a solid one. It wasn't amazing by any means and I'd put it behind both the Zeitler and Tretter signings in moves that got me excited - BUT he is a good wide receiver. Top 10 in the league...no. But starting quality? Absolutely.

I would have preferred Pryor had he not decided to that he should be paid top 5 money. However, Britt was a good consolation prize and I expect him to be productive.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 06:22 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/5c33a480-2077-33c4-bd6e-2e1de19f6792/ss_eric-decker-released-by-jets%2C.html

Eric Decker released by Jets, one surprise team reportedly already interested
The Eric Decker suspense is finally over in New York
John Breech

Jun 12, 2017 • 2 min read

One week after the Jets promised to get rid of Eric Decker, the team has finally made the move. The Jets announced Monday that Decker has been released after the team was unable to find a partner willing to trade for the veteran wide receiver.
The fate of the Jets receiver had been up in the air since June 6 when Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan made it known that the 30-year-old wouldn't be returning to New York for the 2017 season.
"We advised Eric that if a trade doesn't happen, we'll move forward without him," Maccagnan said last week.
Maccagnan and the Jets spent the past week trying to trade Decker, but the team had a hard time getting rid of the receiver because no other team wanted to take on his entire 2017 base salary of $7.25 million. According to ESPN.com, other teams wanted the Jets to eat some of that salary, but the team refused, and decided to release Decker instead.
SPONSORED BY MICROSOFT EDGE
Microsoft Edge is up to 27% faster than Chrome.
Don’t just browse. Browse at full throttle with the only browser designed for Windows 10.
One of the surprise teams that's already interested in Decker is the Baltimore Ravens. And yes, that's the same Ravens team that just signed Jeremy Maclin on Monday.
Apparently, the Ravens are trying to build an offensive arsenal for quarterback Joe Flacco. According to ESPN.com, the Ravens are still "in the running" to add Decker to their roster despite the addition of Maclin.
Baltimore won't have much cap room to work with if it wants to add Decker, but as CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has pointed out, the team can be more flexible with a contract now that Decker is officially a free agent.
Follow
Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora
If/when Decker is released could create more contract flexibility for suitors like the Ravens
5:06 PM - 12 Jun 2017
29 29 Retweets 34 34 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The Ravens, who lost three of their top five receivers from 2016, were one of the first teams to reach out to the Jets about a possible trade when Maccagnan brought up the subject of dumping Decker last week.

Adding Decker along with Maclin would go a long way toward beefing up a Ravens receiving unit that has lost Steve Smith (retirement), tight end Dennis Pitta (released after injuring his hip) and Kamar Aiken (signed with the Colts) since the end of the 2016 season.
Although they had a clear lack of depth at receiver going into the offseason, the Ravens didn't do anything to fix that problem during the draft or free agency. Apparently, doing nothing is going to work for the Ravens with Maclin and potentially Decker falling into their laps.
If the Ravens are able to land Decker, they would be getting a former third-round pick who tallied 74 or more catches for four straight seasons (2012-15) before being limited to just three games during an injury-plagued 2016 season. Over the past nine months, Decker has undergone surgery on both his hip and his shoulder. However, the 30-year-old says that he's now healthy.
Decker, who signed a five-year, $36 million deal with the Jets in March 2014, only caught nine passes in 2016, which likely made it hard for the Jets to justify his $7.25 million base salary for the upcoming season.
SPONSORED BY ADT
Who’s Keeping Your Home Safe?
Having the right security system is the key to protecting your home. Discover all the features of ADT and how their home security tops the rest.
Before signing with the Jets before the 2014 season, Decker spent the first four years of his career in Denver.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 07:54 AM
If the Ravens get Decker too, that's a much improved offense
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 09:15 AM
With all due respect, mac voiced his opinion and did not insult anyone. Not sure what is wrong w/voicing an opinion?

Furthermore, this kinda is a FO thing. Our WR unit is a huge concern. Maclin is a true professional who can run the complete route tree. It seems like he would be a great fit, but it "appears" that he never even came in for a visit.

I'm not dogging the FO here, but I think mac had the right to voice his disapproval and not be attacked for it.

With due respect, I disagree.

As I said earlier, it was reported we had interest. Not sure if that was interest, or real interest? I think you know what I mean by that. I am also not sure if Maclin had any interest in us. I think there comes a point in a players career when money isn't the #1 factor in deciding on where he might want to play. No doubt that Balt. has a better QB situation then we do at this time. Not only for this year, but probably next year as well, which is the duration of the contract signed.

Now we have Decker on the market. Of the two, I would rather sign Decker, but again, I am not sure he fits in with what it is we want to do. A 30 year old receiver just off a injury season...that just doesn't seem to fit the mold.

We have seen how we operate. I don't think there should be any surprise we didn't go hard after Maclin and probably won't after Decker.

No doubt that both Maclin and Decker have been good receivers in the past. I guess it boils down to if you want to take a chance on a aging receiver on the backside of the career who is off a injury season?
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 11:08 AM

Take your FO talk to the FO thread. Stay of topic or zip it.

peen...the topic is, adding another WR via free agency.

My question goes deeper..why do the Browns suddenly have a WR issue?

Someone is responsible for the talent drafted and the Browns had the advantage of "analytics"..so why is there now concerns about the Browns' WR talent?

Why would the Browns even think of dipping into the free agent market again to add another WR?

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 11:30 AM
I don't think that is your meaning, but if so, fine.

I don't think we really need to do that. Especially on a WR who is 30 or so, off a injury year.

If this year proves the young receivers don't make progress and don't look to be any good, then yes, we will need to address the position once again.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 11:52 AM
Man, Baltimore would be a lot better if they add Decker to go along w/Maclin. I hope that doesn't happen.

I also hope the Browns sign him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 11:57 AM
I saw something on NFL rumors. Biscotti had a phone conversation with season ticket holders last night. He said they probably weren't looking at another receiver. They were looking to beef up the O-line...just a FYI, for what it's worth.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 12:16 PM

Yet, this is a post from you about the front office several months ago. Talk on....talk on.

Quote:
In fact, as I have laid out in detail, I think there are simply too many obstacles to overcome and this isn't going to end well.

Seems like a rather definitive evaluation to me.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/14/17 02:23 PM
I saw something on NFL rumors. Biscotti had a phone conversation with season ticket holders last night. He said they probably weren't looking at another receiver. They were looking to beef up the O-line...just a FYI, for what it's worth.

And that's where it needs to be as their O-Line is questionable at best. Hell, apart from Flacco, their entire offense is questionable.

Take Maclin...hell take Decker too. I'd bet that the Ravens finish sub .500
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/15/17 12:38 AM

Someone is responsible for the talent drafted and the Browns had the advantage of "analytics"..so why is there now concerns about the Browns' WR talent?

Why would the Browns even think of dipping into the free agent market again to add another WR?

mac, I agree. Who is really saying there is a receiver issue? I admit there is a lot of unknown. Browns organization is petty confident with bringing in one guy Britt. To me, that is a statement. Hue acted surprised when he heard Sashi was taking with Maclin.

Browns certainly may have grossly overestimated their receiver talent. I agree that is a likely possibility. As of now, no one is making moves there is an issue.

Before lowering life boats lets see what this team has at least through a couple of preseason games. Getting Maclin or Decker improves the receiver corp, no doubt. I don't think it adds much in the win column.

The FO is building through youth. I have more concern if they decide adding vets this early in the year. It states they completely missed drafting four receivers last year. To me, this would be a more alarming issue.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/15/17 02:59 AM
hmm...let's start with this lil gem.

"Originally Posted By: mac

It all comes down to the judgement of the Analytics guys, the Owner and our GM."

then comes this one.

"Originally Posted By: mac

Why would the Browns even think of dipping into the free agent market again to add another WR?"

I'm sorry but I am questioning what the real topic is.

bugs Online content

mac, I agree. Who is really saying there is a receiver issue? I admit there is a lot of unknown. Browns organization is petty confident with bringing in one guy Britt. To me, that is a statement. Hue acted surprised when he heard Sashi was taking with Maclin.

Browns certainly may have grossly overestimated their receiver talent. I agree that is a likely possibility. As of now, no one is making moves there is an issue.

Before lowering life boats lets see what this team has at least through a couple of preseason games. Getting Maclin or Decker improves the receiver corp, no doubt. I don't think it adds much in the win column.

The FO is building through youth. I have more concern if they decide adding vets this early in the year. It states they completely missed drafting four receivers last year. To me, this would be a more alarming issue."

Bugs I don't think we overestimated any of our Wr's from last years draft.

reason being...sorry Bugs not trying to bash you in anyway.

99% of this is in reply to Mac's posting...not bashing you either brother.

But as far as our four WR's drafted last year.

they had six different QB's throwing the ball to them.

a decimated o-line to protect the QB's, our QB's had lil time to throw the ball. And when they did they held on to the ball to long, resulting in sacks and errant throws.

that is six different throwing styles, six different throwing angles, six different reads, six different velocity of the ball.

very hard to build chemistry between the QB's and WR's. when the line and QB's change so much.

we drafted four WR's with our draft. hard to know what we have there just yet.

we addressed the O-line this year, the D-line, the TE's, the QB, the DB's.

there are only a finite amount of things we can do in one offseason.
We cannot fill them all in one draft.

like Bugs said we need to see if these new young kids can make a leap this year, before giving up on them.

sorry I dont know how to do multiple quotes. I hope you guys can dechiper what I am trying to say.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/15/17 03:01 AM
LOL............Why don't you just tell us what you are trying to say?
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/15/17 03:08 AM
LOL............Why don't you just tell us what you are trying to say?

lol we don't know what we have in last years WR's draft...whew..lol
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/15/17 03:27 AM
Got it. thumbsup
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/22/17 09:35 PM

Chiefs fire G.M. John Dorsey

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 22, 2017, 4:15 PM EDT
link

In a surprise announcement at what is ordinarily the slowest time of the year in the NFL, the Chiefs have fired General Manager John Dorsey.

The Chiefs issued a statement saying Dorsey is out.

“I notified John that we would not be extending his contract beyond the 2017 season, and after consideration, we felt it was in his best interests and the best interests of the team to part ways now,” owner Clark Hunt said in a statement.

That announcement came about half an hour after the Chiefs announced that head coach Andy Reid has signed a contract extension. That will obviously lead to speculation that perhaps Dorsey and Reid weren’t on the same page, and that Reid won a power struggle within the organization. Dorsey recently made the surprising decision to cut an old favorite of Reid’s, Jeremy Maclin.

Dorsey is the third G.M. to be fired since the start of the new league year in March, following Washington’s Scot McCloughan and Buffalo’s Doug Whaley.
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/22/17 09:59 PM
Obviously Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey didn't agree on how the Chiefs valued Maclin. A few years when Reid was with the Eagles Reid and Joe Banner did not see eye to eye on several of the Eagles best players that Banner just could not get re-signed, allowing those players to leave, even though Reid wanted them re-signed.

Banner lost the power struggle with Reid and was fired by Eagles owner long time Banner friend Jeff Lurie. On the surface, the relationship between Reid and Chiefs GM John Dorsey may be similar to the situation Reid had with Banner in Philly.

In the end, it's up to the GM to furnish the talent the HC wants and when the GM fails to get his job done, it does create friction within the franchise.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/22/17 10:19 PM
Obviously Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey didn't agree on how the Chiefs valued Maclin. A few years when Reid was with the Eagles Reid and Joe Banner did not see eye to eye on several of the Eagles best players that Banner just could not get re-signed, allowing those players to leave, even though Reid wanted them re-signed.

Banner lost the power struggle with Reid and was fired by Eagles owner long time Banner friend Jeff Lurie. On the surface, the relationship between Reid and Chiefs GM John Dorsey may be similar to the situation Reid had with Banner in Philly.

In the end, it's up to the GM to furnish the talent the HC wants and when the GM fails to get his job done, it does create friction within the franchise.

So this is saying we'd be better off if we did something with whom?
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/22/17 10:30 PM
I really saw nothing out of Higgins or Louis in 2016 that made me go "wow the Browns really struck gold"
Its not like the Browns were loaded at WR in 2016 in training camp. The number 1 and 2 spots were up.for grabs.
Higgins and Louis did worse than the mercurial dup of Brian Robotskie and Mohammed Massaflop in their rookie years
No team has drafted worse regarding WRS in the past 15 years than the Browns
In a league that gives offenses every advantage the Browns WRS have underformed other than a fluke year by Edwards and a dominant year by Gordon
Louis and Higgins combined had barely 300 yards and zero TDS last year!!
It doesn't matter the front office this franchise cannot draft or even find gems in free agency at WR.
Higgins and Louis are just reinforcing tradition
Corey Coleman struggled down the stretch when he was healthy
If you are in fantasy football don't even look the Browns way for a WR.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/22/17 10:47 PM
Quote:

I think you'd be surprised.

Just off the top of my head.

The Rams.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/team-position/

Baltimores history of drafting WRs isn't too great either.

A lot of teams may have had one good guy here or there..

And I'm not saying we drafted them well or anything..
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 03:50 AM
I really saw nothing out of Higgins or Louis in 2016 that made me go "wow the Browns really struck gold"
Its not like the Browns were loaded at WR in 2016 in training camp. The number 1 and 2 spots were up.for grabs.
Higgins and Louis did worse than the mercurial dup of Brian Robotskie and Mohammed Massaflop in their rookie years
In a league that gives offenses every advantage the Browns WRS have underformed other than a fluke year by Edwards and a dominant year by Gordon
Louis and Higgins combined had barely 300 yards and zero TDS last year!!
It doesn't matter the front office this franchise cannot draft or even find gems in free agency at WR.
Higgins and Louis are just reinforcing tradition
Corey Coleman struggled down the stretch when he was healthy
If you are in fantasy football don't even look the Browns way for a WR.

The Browns started Pryor and Coleman. (when he was healthy) They used Hawkins next. They had 5 different guys play QB last year. I think there were a lot of things that went wrong all the way around last year, regarding the passing game.

I saw a lot to like about Louis, with his speed, strength, and his athletic ability. We have to let guys have a chance to develop. Coleman was hurt last year, so hopefully he'll get healed up and produce a lot this coming year. Higgins (who I liked when we took him) and Payton are guys who could contribute .... or not.

I am interested to see how our TE room develops. I think that they, along with Crow and Duke, could be really helpful in the pass game.

I couldn't care less about fantasy football. I just hope we wind up with a few heavy contributors out of the TE/WR group. We have the picks to add to that room next year if we still need to.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 04:35 AM
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Quote:

I think you'd be surprised.

Just off the top of my head.

The Rams.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/team-position/

Baltimores history of drafting WRs isn't too great either.

A lot of teams may have had one good guy here or there..

And I'm not saying we drafted them well or anything..

Are we gonna pretend the Lions have a good history of drafting WRs just because they had the possible GOAT.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 01:34 PM
That's a nice, rosy picture and I do agree we have to let guys develop. However, who is saying not to let them develop? The Browns seemingly are giving them that chance.

I also saw a lot of drops from Louis and Coleman. I saw poor route running and a lack of separation from Louis. I saw guys who didn't get open very often when they would show the panoramic shots.

Let's hope you and the Browns are right when it comes to these young WRs, because our qbs are relatively inexperienced and the last thing they need are receivers who run sloppy routes, make poor sight adjustments and hot reads, and drop too many passes.

I am not saying they won't improve. I am not writing them off. However, at this point in time, the unit looks to be a huge question mark--at best.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 01:45 PM
I would welcome some productive vets while wee wait for some young's to ripen. We have questionable youth with a learning curve.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 04:20 PM
I don't see Kenny Britt taking these young WR
And becoming a mentor on the field
He didn't do it as a Titan or Ram.
I'm not impressed with his 1000 yard season
24 other targets in 2016 did the Same thing
If this was 1976 I'd be impressed but it's not.Britt had a lot of garbage time yards
Britt came in for a one last payday much like
Dwayne Bowe.Britt wasn't exactly a hot commodity on the FA market
I would have much rather seen Anquan Bolden
Than Britt. Bolden has been the consumate pro in his career
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 04:21 PM
I agree that young players do develop and you really can't predict how they will develop strictly on where they were drafted. But I do believe the later they were drafted, the lesser the odds of success. This is proven if you look at the success rate of players drafted in the later rounds. It's even lesser odds when they come from a poor WR class like last year.

So while it's possible some of these WR's may improve, the odds of being really valuable WR's isn't good.
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 10:05 PM
I agree that young players do develop and you really can't predict how they will develop strictly on where they were drafted. But I do believe the later they were drafted, the lesser the odds of success. This is proven if you look at the success rate of players drafted in the later rounds. It's even lesser odds when they come from a poor WR class like last year.

So while it's possible some of these WR's may improve, the odds of being really valuable WR's isn't good.

I'm going to disagree here. My belief is people look to much at the individual instead of how the person fits within the team.

I understand you can't create a team built around lunch pail guys. But, you create a cornerstone of elite talent surrounded by lunch pail guys makes it work.

Obviously, you can't have a team of elite players especially with a salary cap. There exists positions on the team the FO/HC undervalues. As an organization, you simply won't invest high in this group.

Teams must create an identity on either side of the ball and invest in key positions. Other areas they must continue constantly supplying a revolving three year cycle, the length of a rookie contract.

I think this creates the biggest debate with fans. People disagree where the organization prioritizes. With the Browns, it becomes exceptionally difficult with constant change. With new leadership, it is difficult understanding priorities.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/23/17 11:28 PM
I get defending the FO at every turn, but what the hell are you saying?

Who talked about "the individual" and whom ignored how a guy fits on a team? For that matter, how do our WRs "fit on the team? How many are "lunch pail guys?"

And the entire argument about "elite" players vs "lunch pail guys" is confusing considering they spent their very first pick on a WR.

LOL man............Reach much?
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 02:47 AM
I get defending the FO at every turn, but what the hell are you saying?

Who talked about "the individual" and whom ignored how a guy fits on a team? For that matter, how do our WRs "fit on the team? How many are "lunch pail guys?"

And the entire argument about "elite" players vs "lunch pail guys" is confusing considering they spent their very first pick on a WR.

LOL man............Reach much?

It was a generic statement. Using the "defend FO" card?

You stated you are ok with most of what this FO is doing. So, you are going to flip flop to make a negative against? Come On! Really?

My point...Because of the Salary Cap you can't fill a team full of elite players. You simply can't sustain over time. Teams must chose where to invest their money. Where is that defending the FO? smh!
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 09:35 AM
... you can't fill a team full of elite players. You simply can't sustain over time. Teams must chose where to invest their money.

I believe this to be true.
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 11:24 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 11:25 AM
You aren't making sense. What are you talking about "flopping" for?

I simply pointed out that Coleman was the first overall pick in the draft. You say crazy things, at times.
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 03:20 PM
You aren't making sense. What are you talking about "flopping" for?

I simply pointed out that Coleman was the first overall pick in the draft. You say crazy things, at times.

You are confusing me still. I started with disagreeing with Pitt's comment about passing on elite talent.

My original point why I disagree with Pitt...I think there is a reason why some positions Browns don't want to invest heavy spending money resigning players.

Unsure why you decided to through in "defend the FO" and now "Coleman drafted first" applies toward such a generic reply.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 03:57 PM
I really didn't say anything about elite players or re-signing anyone. My comments were concerning the odds of those later drafted WR's becoming good WR's. My view was and is that the odds of them becoming "good, solid WR's" wasn't in our favor.

My reasoning was that they were drafted later in what was a weak WR class. Not that it's impossible for one of them to succeed, just that the odds are against it. So I'm not really sure what it is you're responding to.

And as for the FO. Some of us evaluate them on each individual move, not some blanket approval or disapproval of every move they make. It's not some flip flop if you like some moves and don't like other moves. That's called being objective.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 05:13 PM
Quote:
You are confusing me still.

LOL..........let's leave it w/that.
Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 07:46 PM
jc...

The Browns do not have a need to sign any leftover wr free agents who were not good enough to make it on their own teams.

The Browns present WR group has been two years in the making. If you believe in Sashi, Depo, Berry and Jimmy and their analytic approach you must feel very good about the talent level of the WR group they have put together for the 2017 season.

The last thing the Browns need is some cast off free agent from another team messing up the WR plan that the Browns brass began putting together during the 2016 draft.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 07:57 PM
Posted By: bugs Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 08:28 PM
I'll say you two interpreted my post into something I didn't think possible! I'm going to start again.

Quote:
My reasoning was that they were drafted later in what was a weak WR class. Not that it's impossible for one of them to succeed, just that the odds are against it. So I'm not really sure what it is you're responding to.

I start with this.

Let's say Jackson's defined his offense as a possession style similar to WCO with more emphases on the run game.

He wants two types of receivers one a vertical threat another a possession type. He likes receivers to support the run game. He biggest concern is ball control. I'm sure there is many more parameters we can list but keeping it simple.

Obviously the price is high for receivers with speed who create a vertical threat. Possession receivers are lest costly. Again, I am sure there is more factors but keeping it simple.

If you know the parameters, why does it matter if a player was drafted in a weak or solid class?

To take it further, your overall goal is having your team built in three years. If it takes receivers on average three years to develop, obviously you must place some emphasis obtaining talent early. You know the success rate finding adequate receivers is low. You take more improving your odds. A weaker class could be a factor why more is needed.

You can solve the issue rather quickly signing quality FA receivers. As an overall priority the team decided the bulk of their cap placed elsewhere. Paying a higher salary now on receivers restricts the budget what the team deemed more important.

I hope this makes better sense.

Posted By: mac Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 09:28 PM
Quote:
You can solve the issue rather quickly signing quality FA receivers. As an overall priority the team decided the bulk of their cap placed elsewhere. Paying a higher salary now on receivers restricts the budget what the team deemed more important.

The stated goal of the owner and GM of the Browns is to build the team via the DRAFT...not via free agency.

Building your team via free agency is too costly to sustain for more than a few years. If your front office is above average at identifying and drafting superior talent, your team should not have to utilize free agency as anything more than an "occasional" need.

If your front office is not very good at supplying talent via the draft, the chances of building a playoff caliber team is slim.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 09:38 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/24/17 11:18 PM
It might make sense if I was doing LSD. LOL
Posted By: nordawg Re: Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin - 06/25/17 02:14 AM
It might make sense if I was doing LSD. LOL

take my word for it Vers i had a brother do LSD. nope it don't make since.
© DawgTalkers.net