DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Chilly Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 06:47 PM
I've been thinking that we may need to upgrade at the backup position. The way we're built now as a possible playoff and division winner, I think we should address it. God forbid that Baker suffers an injury. But, right now its Drew Stanton and we should try to get someone who can play in what could be an elite offense. Is Stanton that guy? The only FA that has playoff and starting experience is Kapernick and he hasn't played in 2 seasons and would bring a lot of baggage. So is Stanton better than any FA currently available? What about McCown? I think he would be a huge mentor for Baker and could be proficient enough with the offensive weapons we have now.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 06:54 PM
I'm not trying to be snarky when I say this, but there's a thread on this from a month or so ago.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1599358/the-backup-qb

I'd be ok with bringing in McCown and having Stanton too. But, I think we need to draft a guy late that has potential - Minshew or Rypien maybe. I really liked Thorson until his injury 2 seasons ago - he never got back to his old self.
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 06:56 PM
If i'm not mistaken, I think Stanton is 10-6 as a back-up, or something like that.....good enough for me...
Posted By: Chilly Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 07:03 PM
My concern is that we don't RG3 Baker! If something happens, he gets injured, were in a playoff position and he's rushed back and it destroys his future.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 07:13 PM
Thankfully he doesn't have those twiggy RG3 legs.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 08:23 PM
Oops! Couldn't delete.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 08:35 PM
Has Tyrod signed anywhere yet? ... if not, u never know ...
Posted By: Hammer Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 08:38 PM
Chargers
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 11:28 PM
I'm okay with just drafting a late round QB, preferably one that is somewhat mobile.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 11:40 PM
Gardner Minshew or Trace McSorley. tyvm.
Posted By: Dave Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

tyvm?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/02/19 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

tyvm?

Thank you very much?
Posted By: Dave Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/03/19 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: Dave

tyvm?

Thank you very much?

OFFS! ... Oh for [BLEEP] sake!

Thanks.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/03/19 12:12 PM
McSorley would be a stylistic option IMO
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/03/19 01:34 PM
lol laugh welcome to my world!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/03/19 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
lol laugh welcome to my world!

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/03/19 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
McSorley would be a stylistic option IMO

I would take McSorley in the 5th rd. if he is there ... thumbsup
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/03/19 05:02 PM
Thorson?

Think he's finally back healthy like when he was talked about as a 1st rounder.

No idea where his stock is now.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 02:48 PM
I feel much better with Garrett Gilbert as the backup instead of Drew Stanton.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 02:51 PM
Garrett Gilbert brings the AAF championship (per Steve Spurrier) pedigree.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Garrett Gilbert brings the AAF championship (per Steve Spurrier) pedigree.

More importantly, he was a Lake Travis H.S. superstar, like Baker. Lol.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 03:21 PM
Did he play at Texas Tech?
Posted By: Hammer Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 03:26 PM
UT
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 03:28 PM
Did he play at Texas Tech?

Nope. Texas and SMU. This is the guy that came into the National Championship game when Colt McCoy got his shoulder smashed.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 04:08 PM
Has this been posted? We picked up Garrett and Burnett

https://clutchpoints.com/browns-news-cleveland-to-sign-both-morgan-burnett-garrett-gilbert/
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 05:41 PM

Soooooo....he's a wildcat QB. Never throws.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 05:44 PM
He led the AAF in passing, so he throws now.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
He led the AAF in passing, so he throws now.

Yeah, I forgot to indicate I was referring to the highlights I linked. I didn't see a passing play. cool
Posted By: kwhip Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 06:34 PM

Lol. Why?

Is his PFF high? Sparqs high?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 06:36 PM
Probably because of his AFF results. They were pretty good.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Don't you want to see him against NFL players before you decide? rofl

Gilbert showed some stuff in the AAF, but he definitely needs to speed up his processing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Lol. Why?

Because basically anyone is better than Drew Stanton.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Lol. Why?

It's more about how he sees Stanton.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 06:55 PM
I'm not so sure about that. All teams need extra arms in camp and if it turns into something more, then fine.
Posted By: BpG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:06 PM
Drew Stanton is a below average QB.....like almost every backup QB in the league. The league only has like 15-25 viable starting QB's, so just about every backup is going to be not good.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:08 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
Drew Stanton is a below average QB.....like almost every backup QB in the league. The league only has like 15-25 viable starting QB's, so just about every backup is going to be not good.

Being not good and being horrible are not the same thing. Blaine Gabbert is not good, Drew Stanton is horrible.
Posted By: BpG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:09 PM
He is likely still on the roster because of his ties with with Freddie from his time in AZ
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
He is likely still on the roster because of his ties with with Freddie from his time in AZ

He's like Josh McCown, but worse on the field.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:36 PM
Yet he's 11-6 as a starter.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yet he's 11-6 as a starter.

I know, crazy right. It's almost like won/loss record is a horrible way to evaluate QBs?!?!?

From a post I made several weeks ago:

Quote:
http://pfref.com/tiny/tMwd3

His team averaged 20 points per game in wins. The Detroit Lions were 25th in the NFL in 2018 points per game with 20.

His team's defense in those starts gave up an average of 12 points per game. 12! To put that into context, the great 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense gave up ten points per game.

So yes, if we are going to have an all-time great defense (we won't), start Drew Stanton. Just in case we don't have an all-time great defense, I would prefer to sign someone who can be at least competent at completing passes. That person is not Drew Stanton as he has only completed 52% of his passes when his team wins (which would be dead last in the NFL, among qualified passes, behind Josh Allen).
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 07:50 PM
I'm not trying to say he's a good QB. But let's face it, we've had worse QB's here as starters. wink

Point being, as a back-up he wouldn't be a bad guy to have.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 08:08 PM
yeah - we get it - you don't like Drew Stanton.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 08:09 PM
Still, it doesn't matter if it is Stanton or this kid... if Baker goes down, we're screwed.

Then again, who has ever had this much talent around them?
Nobody in Cleveland, that's for sure.... we have a duo of receivers that were so good together in college that they actually got Zach Mettenberger drafted into the NFL, so pretty much anything can happen.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 08:14 PM
Hope Freddie works our second a bit before a crisis hits. BM can't go, hope we have a decent short-timer.

Unrelated question: If we win, can we do The Freddie? Anybody else old enough to remember that soon-to-be- reborn craze dance? Think it lasted about a solid week and a half back in the day. . . .
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 08:15 PM
No one knows what this kid from the AAF can do against NFL players.

His play in the AAF earned him a chance. We'll see what he does with it from here out. I am guessing he will probably be practice squad material. We'll see.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

Unrelated question: If we win, can we do The Freddie? Anybody else old enough to remember that soon-to-be- reborn craze dance? Think it lasted about a solid week and a half back in the day. . . .
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 09:35 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Still, it doesn't matter if it is Stanton or this kid... if Baker goes down, we're screwed.

If he’s hurt long term, yes. But teams can stay afloat with a competent backup if it's only a few games.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I almost made it halfway through that video.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:03 PM
I would like to see Sam Bradford signed.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

That is the dream scenario for me, but I'm not sure it's realistic. Garrett Gilbert should be fine.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:20 PM
Bradford made Danny Amendola and Adam Thielen stars. With this bunch he'd be killer as a back-up...with the usual qualifier: When healthy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:21 PM
Has Bradford retired? I'm surprised no one has brought him in as a backup. Hell, I would play him ahead of Eli.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:22 PM
Yeah, his health is the big concern. But, the dude is extremely accurate. He would be a great backup qb w/the weapons we have. I don't think we'd miss a beat if he had to play 2 to 3 games.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:27 PM
Has Bradford retired? I'm surprised no one has brought him in as a backup. Hell, I would play him ahead of Eli.

He hasn't retired, but going from $20 million a year to something like $4 million a year is a huge pay cut and a job demotion comes along with it. I'd be surprised if he ever plays again.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:32 PM
I get that, but $4 million for a part-time job isn't a bad gig.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/05/19 10:39 PM
I get that, but $4 million for a part-time job isn't a bad gig.

It might be when you've basically never had that job before in your life and you have to move your family to a new city and you have $130 million in career earnings.

(Obviously I'm just speculating.)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 12:05 AM
We have our starter in Bake.

We have our back-up in Stanton.

We have our developmental guy in Gilbert. When he is ready, Stanton leaves and we bring in another guy.

I know some don't like Stanton. I do.

I like a vet QB.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 12:13 AM

Me too. And by our Browns, but-of-course.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 12:32 AM
One last thing about Bradford, and I'll shut up: He's a very smart guy. Learning the offense like he did in Minnesota one week before the season started was exceptional...I believe he started week two. He'd be very good for Baker and the offense with what he could do in recognizing defensive schemes and such.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 02:37 AM
Bradford has made so much money for doing so little that it's amazing.

His greatest strength is getting injured with season and potentially career ending injuries.

No thanks.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 02:53 AM
He wouldn't be the starter, YTown. He would be the "backup."

He is extremely accurate. With our weapons, we would not miss a beat w/him for a game or three.

No one is saying he is our long-term starter. This thread is entitled "Backup Quarterback."
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 03:18 AM
Garrett Gilbert will be 28 when the season starts. He’s not a developmental QB. He’s probably our #2.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 09:15 AM
Oh he is Number 2 alright.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 09:53 AM
Garrett Gilbert will be 28 when the season starts. He’s not a developmental QB. He’s probably our #2.

Maybe so.
Posted By: mac Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 01:52 PM
I'm not so sure about that. All teams need extra arms in camp and if it turns into something more, then fine.

Bingo...we have a winner.

One of the key reasons for signing another backup QB is to protect Baker's arm from overuse in camp.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 01:57 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Don't you want to see him against NFL players before you decide? rofl

Gilbert showed some stuff in the AAF, but he definitely needs to speed up his processing.

LOL I'm not the one that needs convinced apparently... But he does have to show it on the field before he makes the final roster. so there is time and I bet there will be at least one more arm in here before it's all said and done.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: mac

One of the key reasons for signing another backup QB is to protect Baker's arm from overuse in camp.

I think most everybody has that figured out. We may even sign a undrafted to give a look and be there through mini camps and maybe the early portion of camp. There will be enough throwing where 4 arms would be useful.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 04:00 PM
Garrett Gilbert SMU highlights
Posted By: mac Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/06/19 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think most everybody has that figured out. We may even sign a undrafted to give a look and be there through mini camps and maybe the early portion of camp. There will be enough throwing where 4 arms would be useful.

Really...everyone has that figured out?

Baker might be a prime candidate due to his new weapons and the need to practice those deep patterns, getting the timing down, it might be enough of a concern to limit the number of throws Baker makes per practice..also known as a "pitch count".

To get the needed reps for our WRs adding more QBs should help to solve the problem.

Just sayn, peen... thumbsup

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/19/19 09:44 PM
Anyone have thoughts on Trace McSorley as a potential QB3 and "gadget" player?

I think Stanton's a good guy, but I think the veteran mentor deal is overplayed at times. It's nice to have someone setting an example that first year, but after that the guys gotta also be able to play well. Coaches can coach. I'm sure Baker has guys he can call if he wants a "mentor."

I wouldn't want McSorley as a starter, but I think if Baker went down for a game or two he'd keep those games more interesting than Stanton. If he's there in the 7th, you could talk me into him. Maybe earlier. Could possibly have a Taysom Hill type role. Could give the D Lamar Jackson looks on scout team. Part of the appeal is the creativity Freddie showed last season.

NFL.com has him listed as a PFA. I think he's at least that valuable. Seems to be a hard working film grinder, and Saquon can't seem to find enough good things to say.

Just my latest musing. Any thoughts?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/19/19 09:59 PM
If we were to draft a long term backup for Baker Mayfield, I would want Will Grier. He would already know much of Todd Monken's offense after being with Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia and he is an accurate QB.

I think Garrett Gilbert will be our backup in 2019 with Stanton being the cheerleader/QB coach.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/19/19 11:13 PM
The bigger and more immediate question to me is "does anyone think we'll carry three QBs?"
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/19/19 11:19 PM
The bigger and more immediate question to me is "does anyone think we'll carry three QBs?"

I think we have to. We're loaded w/talent and even mediocre qb play should thrive w/all the weapons we have. If Baker gets hurt, we need a guy who is at least capable. I don't think Drew is that guy.

I would seriously invest in a quality backup qb and pray that it was a bad value decision because Baker stayed healthy the entire year. But, it's kinda like insurance. It's a rip off until something catastrophic happens.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/19/19 11:25 PM

If Drew Stanton is on the roster? Yes. If he is not in the roster? No.
Posted By: Haus Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/20/19 04:41 PM

That's a good question. As of right now I'd say probably yes. In order to go with just two, you really need to have a reliable starter (who doesn't get injured very often.. not sure how much stock I can put into Baker's durability after one year in the NFL) and preferably backup too.

Even then, you kind of have to have an emergency plan. I like what the Saints do. Brees is their clear-cut starter. Bridgewater is the backup. However, they bring in Taysom Hill at a variety of positions--including QB, where they use the built-in running advantage of the zone read to pick up some easy 3rd and shorts. He still has enough QB skills to hit open receivers, so defenses can't completely sell out against the run like some of the misguided Wildcat packages of the past.

That approach would also give the team its emergency/3rd QB if disaster struck.
Posted By: Haus Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/20/19 04:56 PM
Here's more on the Saints usage of Taysom Hill from back in November: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-examining-sean-paytons-creative-use-of-taysom-hill

That's pretty much my ideal 3rd QB-- somebody who is talented/athletic enough to use in a variety of ways, but still good enough of a passer that you can use him as a zone read type QB when desired, and can run a competent offense if the first two guys get injured.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/21/19 06:08 PM
The Pagel thing? If Baker goes down, we're in trouble.

The Couch/Holcomb thing was a strange luxury. Strange emphasized.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/22/19 01:20 PM
I think Garrett Gilbert will be our backup in 2019 with Stanton being the cheerleader/QB coach.

Nice call on Gilbert. I think he's going to be our back-up.

There may be a 4th guy, developmental guy who may find himself on the practice squad.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/22/19 01:46 PM

Really...everyone has that figured out?

Baker might be a prime candidate due to his new weapons and the need to practice those deep patterns, getting the timing down, it might be enough of a concern to limit the number of throws Baker makes per practice..also known as a "pitch count".

To get the needed reps for our WRs adding more QBs should help to solve the problem.

Just sayn, peen... thumbsup

Nice to know that Baker worked with both Landry AND OBJ last summer. At least he has some familiarity with Odell's route running before now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 01:37 PM
j/c:

It looks like Dorsey is sticking w/the three qbs who are currently on the roster. I think that could be a mistake.

This team is loaded w/offensive talent and that can make a qb look much better than he is, but he still has to be competent.

I still wish we would bring Sam Bradford in to be our backup. He's very accurate and team would play well if he had to play a few games.

Blake Bortles would be next on my list provided that he would accept a smaller salary. He can run and has a pretty big arm. We should be okay if he had to play a few games.

Josh McCown is really getting old, but he could probably play a few games and he is a great locker room guy.

I simply do not feel comfortable w/our two current backups if Baker were to miss more than a game.

Oh, I almost forgot to say "Sashi." Count that, Excel. brownie
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 01:40 PM
Bortles signed with the Rams
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 01:47 PM
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 02:09 PM
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Welcome. Good signing for the Rams...I believe. Blake B. has officially acknowledged that he's no longer a starter in the league.

I'd be on-board with a Sam B. signing. Not sure he's come to the non-starter realization though.

My issue with Stanton is that he should be #3. That means that #2 probably has to be a guy who can actually PLAY (a vet with live game experience like BB or SB) more-so than a guy who is 'developmental'.

I'm rather uneasy about the backup QB spot at the moment. Stanton has won games in relief before and he's played a fair amount in the league. Maybe the org is comfortable with him as the backup. Hopefully we won't see any backup QBs after the pre-season.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 02:22 PM
That's a good take and almost exactly how I feel.

Obviously, the backup qb spot is not even an issue if Baker plays all year. I'm hoping he does because he played very well last year and should get even better.

I do think we have enough offensive talent to still be very good if we have at least competent qb play. I'm just not very confident if our two backups can play competently.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 02:28 PM
Bradford certainly appears to have nothing left.

He was cut by Arizona last season, and sat home for the whole rest of the year. He is a walking IR report. He is also ... somehow ... always been expensive.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 02:39 PM
McCown is basically retired.

Garrett Gilbert should be adequate. None of the other available options are that great at this point.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 05:02 PM
Quote:

Garrett Gilbert should be adequate. None of the other available options are that great at this point.

This is my thought at the moment. I understand the need for the back-up QB, but I'm not overly concerned at the moment. Come August I might feel different.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 05:46 PM
Why do you think Gilbert is adequate?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/25/19 08:05 PM

He was the best QB in the AAF. He has been in the league for awhile. He is not Drew Stanton.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/26/19 03:12 PM
Our best bet for a backup is fresh legged rookies. Vet we got and a good mentor he does have experience and has won games meaning he can hand the ball off and hopefully our Defense can win the games but he would carry out a mistake free game and NOT LOSE IT.

Me I still say we should use a late round pick and take the kid from Wash. State. Minshew

He is like a replica of Baker just not as good but very similar. My point being that we would not have to change the offense in the case he has to come in a game or two while Baker healed from something.

He is very accurate not nearly as strong armed as Baker but he would be the very perfect backup QB if I was building a team.

jmho

Who is Daniel Jones... saywhat
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/26/19 03:17 PM

He was the best QB in the AAF. He has been in the league for awhile. He is not Drew Stanton.

LOL,, Ok, he's not Drew Stanton. Wow, that can't really be an answer.. can it?

The other parts of your response are cool
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/26/19 03:58 PM
Backup QB?

The Giants just drafted one with the 6th pick.
What a blown pick. He’d have been the 5th or 6th QB taken last year.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/26/19 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Backup QB?

The Giants just drafted one with the 6th pick.
What a blown pick. He’d have been the 5th or 6th QB taken last year.

+1 Gettleman has to be one of the worst GM's in the NFL ...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/26/19 04:17 PM
DP: Would you rather have Josh Rosen or Daniel Jones?
Todd McShay: Josh Rosen ... all day long. Not even close.

https://twitter.com/andrewperloff/status/1121800184831332352
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/26/19 05:59 PM
I haven't seen enough of Minshew to really have an opinion on him as a QB. But to find a kid with a similar style to Baker makes all the sense in the world. Too often we've had QB's with totally different styles and when one would go down the playbook simply didn't work well for the back up.

QB's with similar styles allows you to simply remove the plays that the back up can't execute and carry on with the rest of your playbook.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 04/30/19 09:08 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/01/19 02:14 AM
Maybe there is a former Browns' Quarterback from years gone by, which would fit the bill, oh well, didn't give this much thought.

I guess I was trying to say, I feel, Thaddeus Lewis, from 8 years ago, whenever he last played for the Browns, (and almost beat the Stillers in a night game,) would make a good backup, today, ... of course this doesn't exist.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/01/19 02:18 AM
Too bad we didn't keep Tyrod Taylor. He accepted a backup role somewhere else. I think I know why he didn't want to remain here.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/01/19 03:44 AM
Too bad we didn't keep Tyrod Taylor. He accepted a backup role somewhere else. I think I know why he didn't want to remain here.

Because he figured Rivers was more likely to retire soon than Baker, and he knew he wasn't gonna beat Baker out for the job?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 10:58 AM
It generally isn't a good idea to keep the former starting QB as your back-up. I just don't think it is a good set-up towards having good chemistry.

That isn't knocking anybody, it's just my opinion.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 11:10 AM
So I am sitting here dying to know who big #4 would be. Extra camp arm probably.

Dorsey moves in mysterious ways. Don't stop.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 12:32 PM
It generally isn't a good idea to keep the former starting QB as your back-up. I just don't think it is a good set-up towards having good chemistry.

Depends on the individuals involved.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 12:42 PM
j/c:

The backup qb is the biggest concern I have on this team. QBs get hurt.

This offense is loaded and it could still be very good if we simply had an adequate backup. I do not have much faith in our current backups.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 12:47 PM
j/c:

This offense is loaded and it could still be very good if we simply had an adequate backup. I do not have much faith in our current backups.

At this point, what do we have.

Baker of course, Stanton and Gilbert,, have we added any camp fodder recently?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 12:50 PM
No, not yet.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:06 PM
No, not yet.

I'm pretty sure they'll add at least one UDFA.

But of all the FA's out there, who would be a good pick up.,

I just looked at the list and man, there isn't much there to pick from..

Bridgewater maybe (is he still available)
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:17 PM
j/c...

I don't think he would be ready yet. But I like the possibility of Brough being our future Back up.

Look any team who Loses a legitimate Franchise QB will be in trouble.

Those teams that can continue to win while they wait for the starter to come back and be ready for the playoffs.

The only way is if our Defense dominates and we can win the game of Special teams and field position with a reliable FG kicker and who knows with the talent we got score several TDs without Baker. That is the key for us having a back up. Don't wish to see Brough in there but as long as he doesn't make mistakes and turnsover the ball. We got some great talent to carry the lode. I see talent in the kid to create something and be accurate if not pressured and when teams bring on the pressure he seems to have a very good mobility talent to get away and make the team pay for that pressure.

Also our running game could take over the lode and if they go all out to stop the run...all the better for some play action.

Don't forget Stanton I believe has a winning record as backup QB stepping in. This might be the most talented team he ever would lead. So although I view Baker as one of the toughest kid I've ever seen play the position. He took on some nasty pay back hits in college and I thought Oh shoot he is out, I was amazed how he shook it off and continued his play.

The only thing we have to watch out for is teams HEAD HUNTING as even if he doesn't get a concussion he might be out a series or two because of the protocol set up.

But Baker is one of those kids that might not miss a snap for 10 years!

jmho
Posted By: Hammer Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:46 PM
Cue up the crfs15 Stanton slam...
Posted By: Hammer Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:46 PM
cfrs15 that is.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:51 PM
No, not yet.

thought we signed some UDFA from a big ten school Bloughe or something like that
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:53 PM
j/c:

It's kind of crazy that this is our biggest concern.

We're worried about our backup QB. A guy who will hopefully never see the field.

How many other teams can say that?

After so many years of having practically everything to worry about, it is a little surreal.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
No, not yet.

thought we signed some UDFA from a big ten school Bloughe or something like that

Yep, from Purdue.

We have:

Baker
Stanton
Gilbert
Blough
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
j/c:

It's kind of crazy that this is our biggest concern.

We're worried about our backup QB. A guy who will hopefully never see the field.

How many other teams can say that?

After so many years of having practically everything to worry about, it is a little surreal.

Quite surreal.

This will be the first off-season/season in memory that I won't spend time looking at other teams' QBs - including practice squads - to see where we might be looking for help. rofl

Here's one I've not read yet here:

I think the Redskins might cut/trade Colt McCoy with both Keenum and Haskins on the roster. How about Colt as a backup here?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 02:15 PM
My work here is done.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I think the Redskins might cut/trade Colt McCoy with both Keenum and Haskins on the roster. How about Colt as a backup here?

I don't think Colt's ever been quite right since he messed up his shoulder in college. Already 32 and not a ton of upside. Not the worst idea, but wouldn't really move the needle for me.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 02:40 PM
Colt McCoy’s leg is all jacked up because Washington tried to rush him back from the injury.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Depends on the individuals involved.

That's why I said it generally isn't a good idea. I don't think Dorsey offered him, so he didn't feel it was a good idea to keep TT around.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 03:42 PM
Blough is a PS candidate IMO ... I wanted Minshaw to be honest
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 03:52 PM
Wonder if Kosar is busy?
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/02/19 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Wonder if Kosar is busy?

No, he has diminishing physical skills since the Deron Cherry hit he took against Kansas City.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 05/03/19 02:36 AM
I get the impression that we are content with Gilbert.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 06/29/19 02:31 AM

Most Important Questions Ahead of Training Camp - No. 5: What do Drew Stanton, Garrett Gilbert bring as backup options to Baker Mayfield?

We're 27 days from the start of training camp in Berea, which means we have a little time to look toward the clouds (three days without rain!) and ponder deep thoughts about how things might go for the 2019 Cleveland Browns.

From that process, we've emerged from the inner portion of our football-focused consciences with nine very important questions related to this football team, which reconvenes for the start of camp in a month. We'll address one per weekday for the next two weeks. Next up: The most important player after QB1.

We can safely look at quarterback and say we know, for certain, who the starter will be. And we have the utmost confidence in him. Sunny days are near, Cleveland.

As for the guy behind him...

We've heard plenty about the contributions of Drew Stanton, a veteran who has SEEN SOME THINGS in his NFL career. His help and presence as a sage elder undoubtedly aided Mayfield in his first season and can only continue to be beneficial for the young star signal-caller.

But there's also the presumed MVP of the now-defunct Alliance of American Football, Garrett Gilbert.

Gilbert was lighting up the AAF before it folded in the middle of its first and only season. He was clearly the league's best player, and it shouldn't come as a surprise. He was once a 5-star recruit, Mr. Texas Football, Gatorade's Male High School Athlete of the Year, and the future at the University of Texas. That ultimately didn't pan out, and he's since followed a winding path that has included stops at Southern Methodist University and with four different NFL practice squads (St. Louis, New England, Detroit, Oakland) before making an active roster appearance last season with the Carolina Panthers.

It's an incredibly difficult road to consistent employment in the NFL as a quarterback, because A) there's one on the field at a time per team, and B) the importance of the position demands immediate success, or else. Gilbert had multiple opportunities after his AAF resurgence, but chose the Browns because he felt it was the best situation for him.

It helps that he knows Mayfield from their background as fellow former Lake Travis High School star quarterbacks. It also helps that his younger brother is in Mayfield's wedding party this summer. Familiarity makes such a move easier.

But we've seen no separation between Gilbert and Stanton. Assuming Gilbert entered as the No. 3 quarterback, we can guess right now he is still the No. 3 quarterback. Looking down the road, though, helps the 27-year-old's case as a future long-term backup, especially with Stanton celebrating his 35th birthday in May.

David Blough, a Purdue product, has also been with the team during offseason activities after going undrafted in April. He's likely the first to go at the position when cut-down day arrives, though he's worked hard while with the team.

The answer to this question, then, comes down to what the front office and coaching staff values more: experience or potential? It's not uncommon for a team to carry three quarterbacks -- in fact, most do it, save for the Chargers and last season, the Patriots -- but this is also a squad that is going to need to stretch roster spots to fit talented players elsewhere (we covered that issue with questions 6 and 7 this week). It's understandable to see the Browns only keeping two quarterbacks.

Like the questions before this, we'll learn much more during camp. But unlike the others, there's no legitimate indicator on how this might turn out. Keep an eye on the guys not wearing No. 6 this summer.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 06/30/19 09:54 AM
I am not going to predict the final pecking order between #2 and #3. I do think we will keep both Stanton and Gilbert behind Bake. Go one more year with Stanton as a mentor, then we can cut him loose next season as by then Bake will be a full vet himself.

Stanton will also be a positive influence for Gilbert. To me it is a no brainer, keep all three. If Blough looks good, put him on the practice squad with an eye towards next year..

Also, I think it foolish for a NFL team to not carry 3 qbs on the active roster. It is a pretty important position. You never know when your #3 qb is going to be thrust in the the #2 role...be it a series or two, a game or two, or the rest of the season.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 06/30/19 03:41 PM
Blough...I really liked this kid and he has a lot of Baker in him. Hopefully he will be on our Practice Squad.

Gilbert, I am pretty ignorant on here is one game higlights of course not NFL starters but an all Cut League.

Still he showed pocket awareness, good running skills and that TD on a broken play was awesome, not the zip that Baker has but seems confident in his throws.

jmho
http://www.nfl.com/videos/alliance-of-am...game-AAF-Week-3
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 06/30/19 06:01 PM
If Stantons' main attribute is mentoring, they shouldn't cut him loose after next year, they should transition him into a coaching role, when he is ready to retire.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 06/30/19 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
If Stantons' main attribute is mentoring, they shouldn't cut him loose after next year, they should transition him into a coaching role, when he is ready to retire.

That may happen if Stanton wants to go in to coaching. Some people do, some don't.
Posted By: hitt Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/01/19 12:18 PM
If McCowan, Stanton type guys are so tVITAL- what does QB coach do. Bottomline is if your first string QB goes down, you're screwed. Now that we've got a decent one- please make sure he
1. Is protected as much as possible
2. knows how to slide- and get down when need be
3. We have an enforcer, like in movie "Slapshoot", who wipes out any player who roughs up OUR QB....go Browns!!!

I lean toward young guy due to QB coach, Kitchens, Baker self motivated.....Go Browns!!!
Posted By: mac Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/01/19 02:01 PM
Quote:
Blough...I really liked this kid and he has a lot of Baker in him. Hopefully he will be on our Practice Squad.

I noticed the same resemblance between Baker's game and Blough's game. It will be fun to watch him perform and compete for a roster spot..who knows, he might be our backup QB.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/01/19 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: hitt
If McCowan, Stanton type guys are so tVITAL- what does QB coach do.

It has a lot to do with the NFL collective bargaining agreement. The contract between the players union and the NFL strictly limit practice time between the coaching staff and the players.

Such restrictions are not placed on players working with other players. As such, when you have a strong mentor type player at the QB position, it allows for more time to be spent working with a young QB on the playbook and the nuances of the position that time does not permit the QB coach to work with your young QB.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/07/19 10:11 PM
David Blough lacks style but his substance may land him a job in the NFL

https://footballmaven.io/browns/browns-m...ZkGObwACHmb6zQ/

Cleveland Browns quarterback David Blough isn't going to blow anyone with raw ability, but he avoids mistakes and does a lot of the little things right, which could enable him to find success in the NFL.

For most people, knowing the name of the quarterback who led Purdue to a lopsided victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes in 2018 is a good trivia question. If you watched David Blough's college career, you're probably surprised that he was signed by the Cleveland Browns or any other NFL team. Average arm, average testing and there's a ton of manufactured completions in Jeff Brohm's offense. He's a facilitator rather than a playmaker.

But so much of what Blough does well is avoiding mistakes, being patient and having an excellent understanding of situational football. And the results in his senior year weren't eye popping on tape, but they ended up remarkably efficient.

Blough completed 66% of his passes, averaged 8 yards per attempt and had 2.5 touchdowns for every interception.

The Boilermakers were able to win six games including the huge upset win over Ohio State.

And Ohio State really showcases what Blough does well. The box score looks impressive, but going through it throw by throw, the Buckeyes suffered death by a thousand cuts.

Purdue did not come out of the gate firing. After completing his first pass, Blough missed on the next four and a few of those were throw aways. He usually diagnoses quickly and gets out of bad situations pretty consistently throughout the game. Despite scoring 49 points in the game, Purdue converted just 6 of 15 3rd downs.

They converted the only two 4th downs they attempted, but Purdue was patient and didn't commit a turnover in the game. Much of that was due to Blough being smart with the football.

That's not likely to be too exciting when it comes to training camp, but that is Blough's game. Make smart decisions, avoid costly mistakes and end drives with kicks. And as people are evaluating players, they may have very little to say about Blough if they say anything. And in an argument for a spot for the final 53, it's probably going to be really difficult to see a way Blough makes it this year, but that isn't likely why he was signed in the first place.

Blough stands out as someone the Browns brought in with the intention of putting him on the practice squad if they liked him and see if he can improve. All of that said, Blough might be efficient if he gets into preseason games against the back end of the rosters. If he makes smart decisions and gets the ball to playmakers, he might rack up some impressive numbers without exerting a ton of effort.

Blough isn't terribly exciting, but what he does well works in the NFL regardless of era. And if he can improve his arm strength and find ways to create more plays, he's got a shot to become Baker Mayfield's backup when Drew Stanton is put out to pasture, perhaps more.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/07/19 11:09 PM
Hope he makes the practice squad.

Dink and dunk, smart player with limited arm reminds me of some of our other QBs in the last 20 years.

IMO, he may not be a true threat to Stanton this year.

And I'm nervous with Stanton.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/07/19 11:11 PM
Sam Bradford is still available.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/07/19 11:54 PM
If he came cheap, it might not be a bad move.

He's a fragile fella, but as a backup, he'd be a better option than the QBs we have on the roster.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:11 AM

I don't think too many really want Sam Bradford,
but then I never really understood the Sam Bradford love, after him being what seemed like the only option coming out of that particular draft year.

Deshone Kiser said he wants to be Super Bowl MVP. Kiser back to the Browns?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:12 AM
Agreed. Johnny football is available iirc. He could be a good back-up too. wink wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:17 AM
No offense to any of you guys, but Sam Bradford is leaps and bounds above Kizer and any of our backups. Yes, he has an extensive injury history, but we would not be counting on him as our starter.

The dude is one of the most accurate passers ever. He has a very good arm and is pretty good at reading defenses and is decent at reading coverages.

It is my contention that we would not miss a beat if he replaced Baker because we have so many weapons. The backups we have now are just not good enough to take advantage of the talent we have on offense.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:18 AM
You lost me at DeShone Kizer. wink
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:21 AM
I've always thought he was a smart QB, sometimes you can tell by watching their eyes, to see if they have something upstairs. And he's not weak-armed, either... if he accepted backup money, I'd sign him right now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:26 AM
The Browns are loaded in offensive talent. We have the best offensive skill talent in the league. I believe Baker is good enough to make a run at MVP w/this talent.

But, if he gets hurt.........

Ehhh, I'm not high on the guys behind him and it would be a shame to waste guys like OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, Duke [maybe,] Callaway, Njoku, and Higgins. Bradford is good enough to win w/those guys. And win big!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:31 AM
Exactly, and there'd be no QB controversy... we all know who the starter is.
Maybe Bradford doesn't want play if he's not a starter? Some athletes are like that... he's made his cash... Just speculating
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:37 AM
No offense to any of you guys, but Sam Bradford is leaps and bounds above Kizer and any of our backups. Yes, he has an extensive injury history, but we would not be counting on him as our starter.

The dude is one of the most accurate passers ever. He has a very good arm and is pretty good at reading defenses and is decent at reading coverages.

It is my contention that we would not miss a beat if he replaced Baker because we have so many weapons. The backups we have now are just not good enough to take advantage of the talent we have on offense.

I know Vers, you are smart, which is why I thought you were complelty joking when you brought up Bradford!

Only reason I mentioned Kiser, not with a straight face, I have a hard time thinking you had a straight face when you mentioned Bradford.
Posted By: Jester Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 01:18 AM
Googled Blough because I thought I remembered him looking good at Purdue. He throws a really nice ball and throws it with great anticipation. But it doesn't look like there's a lot of arm strength. I don't know if the anticipation can overcome it.

BTW, if you google just his last name don't look up the definition on urban dictionary
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 11:46 AM

I wouldn't mind Bradford. Not sure why he is still out there? Probably because he has a mind set to be a starter and hasn't wrapped him mind around the fact he is at the point in his career where the league sees him as more of a back-up.

I'll have to look around the net for Bradford news to maybe get a clue as to what might be cooking for the guy.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:19 PM
j/c...I always liked Bradford because of his accuracy. He has taken a beating over the years and his goods are damaged but he still is looking to be a Starter and get Starter Money. I think he is willing to sit and wait till a team gets an injury to their guy and would get what he wants.

I don't think he is ready to sign on as just a back up. And I'm sure in practice with no hitting allowed he would look very good.

Well I don't wish us to be the guys to have their starter get hurt and call on him later.

Liked Blough from the get go and think he will be a good BACK UP QB. He is like Holcomb with better legs and mobility!
jmho
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 12:40 PM

That would be an excellent signing...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 01:26 PM
Kind of what I thought that he still wants starter money. I looked around and couldn't find any current rumors about Bradford talking with a team or two.

As I have said before, I am good with Stanton and whoever. In time I think Gilbert or Blough will be the main back-up. Probably next year.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 02:07 PM
Man, I just looked, and Bradford is only 31. It seems like he should be 41, with all of the injuries, and all of the time he's missed as a result.

In 9 seasons (144 possible games) he has played in only 83 games. One area I feel he really lacks in is protecting himself as the QB. Of course, a large part of this could be due to the fact that he has had so many injuries.

One thing, however, that he has been great at is getting huge contracts. He has made over $130 million in 9 seasons, for not much production.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 07:34 PM

That would be an excellent signing...

I'd like having him as our backup too.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 07:43 PM
I would like him as our 3rd string QB, and continually pray that he doesn't hurt himself while sitting down to pee.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 07:56 PM

Sam Bradford is available for a reason. My guess is it's because he's never been a backup and has made a ton of money in his career. Being a backup for a fraction of what he is used to being probably doesn't seem like a great deal.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Exactly, and there'd be no QB controversy... we all know who the starter is.
Maybe Bradford doesn't want play if he's not a starter? Some athletes are like that... he's made his cash... Just speculating

Maybe, but Bradford is what, 31/32 years old? He already has a long injury history.... nobody is going to give him big time starter money. His best bet would be to sign a 1 year back-up contract and if he can get on the field, ball out... then he might get signed on somewhere as a transition starter or something.

Odds are though, if he wants to stay in the league 4 or 5 more years, it's going to be as a back-up/spot starter...

And yes, I wouldn't be opposed at all to giving him top end back-up money on a 3 year deal for him to be here... heck if Mayfield gets hurt and Bradford balls out, what's the worst that happens? We get to trade him for some inflated price?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/08/19 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I would like him as our 3rd string QB, and continually pray that he doesn't hurt himself while sitting down to pee.

rofl
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 12:48 PM
Bradford is made of glass and has not averaged TWO healthy games in a row for his career. He will be expensive and likely disruptive to our QB room. Hard Pass.

Stanton did not look good against scrubs last preseason, but a veteran presence and steadying influence on Baker is likely helpful. Blough or Gilbert is the rookie we train and sell off for big gain down the road.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 01:20 PM
Bradford's knee issues started against Carolina when he bailed out-of-bounds on one of those stupid canvass sheets they put on sidelines, and an overzealous LB gave him a push that caused him to slip awkwardly. ACL. His next game the following year was pre-season, the knee obviously hadn't healed back and he went down without being hardly touched. Same knee, another year out.

His next to last season he went lights out. Adam Theilin became an all star receiver under Bradford, and the first game the next year was a masterpiece...but the knee failed again...and another year out, due to arthritic issues. He had some alternative treatment in Europe for it.

At Arizona he never had a chance with that O line...same with Rosen. My point is, Sam has NEVER been out because of a hit, save one game in Philly due to a shoulder. He's been hit hard, and stays in there completing passes. He's as tough as nails.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 01:56 PM
Shoulder injury in college.

Dude would be a starter now if he could stay just a little bit healthy. He can't.

You can't help the club, if you're in the tub.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 02:02 PM
Keep in mind I think he would take the back up job but we would have to pay him like $20 mil. For a backup. So quite frankly I don't think it has a chance to happen.

If a poster is actually searching for a QB to compete for the starting position and feels we need to do so then I guess its a great idea.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 02:59 PM
Bradford would be a GREAT ADDITION to this particular football team ... a PERFECT FIT as a back up ...

100% PERFECT FIT for us ..
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 03:47 PM
Bradford's injury history is a real thing. It's why he isn't starting for an NFL team right now. I'm not debating the guys who keep bringing it up, but we would not bring him as the starter. He would be the back-up.

My ideal situation is that he would be a highly-paid backup who is on a 1-year deal. This team has enough talent to win w/Bradford should Baker get injured. It would be a shame to waste all this offensive talent because of inferior qb play.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 04:03 PM
It would. I am just not sold we would get inferior play out of Stanton. Sure, it would be inferior compared to Baker, but Stanton wouldn't have to carry the team

He has done a good job as a back-up on a team without as much talent as this team. It's not like the other players are going to give up if baker gets dinged.

I am sure the front office and coaching staff discussed the QB room in great detail over the last few months. They have said they like the group. If they were just saying that and didn't do anything to maybe help the situation, maybe they aren't as crackerjack as many think.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 04:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that the powers that be claimed they liked the QB room Sashi assmembled too. What are they going to say? "These guys suck!"?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 04:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Nelson37
Shoulder injury in college.

Dude would be a starter now if he could stay just a little bit healthy. He can't.

You can't help the club, if you're in the tub.

That shoulder has never been an issue in the NFL.

However, I think Sam's best chance to get back in the game is when some team suffers disastrous injuries to their whole QB room...if he's even staying in shape, which I have no idea.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 04:42 PM
U have to compare Sam to Stanton ... not Stanton vs bake ...

Sam is way better than Stanton .. not even close ...

VERS i agree his injury history is a thing ... its destroyed his career ... pretty sure he’s never finished a season ... its one thing to get hurt a few games every year but im pretty sure he’s never even finished one season .. i could be wrong ..

Thats a small piece of why he’d be a great back up for us IMO ... he’d be a gre3at 2 - 4 game fill in .. if Bake goes down for the year the back up really don’t matter ...

Other than Cullpepper not sure if there’d be a better back up in the league when taking everything into consideration ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that the powers that be claimed they liked the QB room Sashi assmembled too. What are they going to say? "These guys suck!"?

That is why I included this part.."If they were just saying that and didn't do anything to maybe help the situation, maybe they aren't as crackerjack as many think."

Detail count.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
U have to compare Sam to Stanton ... not Stanton vs bake ...

Sam is way better than Stanton .. not even close ...

VERS i agree his injury history is a thing ... its destroyed his career ... pretty sure he’s never finished a season ... its one thing to get hurt a few games every year but im pretty sure he’s never even finished one season .. i could be wrong ..

Thats a small piece of why he’d be a great back up for us IMO ... he’d be a gre3at 2 - 4 game fill in .. if Bake goes down for the year the back up really don’t matter ...

Other than Cullpepper not sure if there’d be a better back up in the league when taking everything into consideration ...

I agree he is better as a starter. Maybe not as a back-up.

OK, he probably would be. I guess Dorsey is missing the boat.

As I said at some point earlier, Bradford is still in starting QB mode and it looks like the league doesn't think so. The league is changing. Teams more and more want a QB who can move the pocket with rollouts, RPO's and extend plays. I don't think Bradford fits that mold.

I have already said I think he would look good on the bench, but it looks like the reality hasn't hit Bradford at this point.

Who knows, maybe we have already reached out and told his agent to give us a call if $4 mil a year starts to look good.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 05:55 PM

LOL Freddie might if he thought that.... rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 06:02 PM
Actually, from both a business standpoint and a team standpoint, nobody would say that. As a HC you support your players and from a business standpoint you never tell your fan base that the players on your roster aren't worthy.

That's why so many Browns fans have had unrealistic expectations for so long.

We have the talent now. But as you can see, some fans are snake bit from being sold a bill of goods for so long.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 06:09 PM
Actually, from both a business standpoint and a team standpoint, nobody would say that. As a HC you support your players and from a business standpoint you never tell your fan base that the players on your roster aren't worthy.

We have the talent now. But as you can see, some fans are snake bit from being sold a bill of goods for so long.

Yeah, I know that,, thus the LOL and rofl

It's absurd to REALLY think any coach would any position group sucks.....
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 06:31 PM
j/c

I'd be all over a Bradford signing if he is ready to be a backup. However, I think - as others have said - that he's waiting for a big name QB to get dinged so he can get more BIG $$$. Which is kind of crazy. I thought he was done being in the big money game before AZ signed him...so what do I know? As long as the AZ mistake is as fresh as it is, I bet Bradford's camp thinks he'll get another big $$$ opportunity.

My other fear is in how long he might last if he DID have to play an extended period of time.

I think it's moot in any event...I don't think he signs until he gets another giant payday...and that won't happen until a "Name" goes down. JMO
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 06:34 PM
Bradford's injury history is a real thing. It's why he isn't starting for an NFL team right now. I'm not debating the guys who keep bringing it up, but we would not bring him as the starter. He would be the back-up.

My ideal situation is that he would be a highly-paid backup who is on a 1-year deal. This team has enough talent to win w/Bradford should Baker get injured. It would be a shame to waste all this offensive talent because of inferior qb play.

I'm curious what you (and me) and other Bradford-supporters would then want as a 3rd QB. I think QB3 needs to be a vet who can step in and play...it can't really be a developmental guy after Baker & Bradford.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/09/19 06:34 PM
And that was kind of my point. We have Baker which has all the potential in the world. Behind him we don't really have a lot.

I mean let's really look at Stanton. On the surface his W/L totals don't look bad. 11W's and 6L's. But that's not even close to the story. He has only competed 52.4% of his passes. He has 24 TD passes compared to 24 Int's.

Not exactly a sparkling endorsement. But then again, how many NFL teams have a great back-up QB? Not many.

As of now I think the FO and coaching staff are happier with having a veteran back-up they think is a help to Baker. Not many fit that mold and I'm sure most fans would feel better having a more reliable back-up. But I think this FO is playing the long game more so than playing in the moment.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/10/19 09:15 PM
If Baker goes down .. entice McCown out of retirement
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/10/19 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If Baker goes down .. entice Brett Favre out of retirement (fixed it)
He'd do it! he'd do it.

If Baker goes down .. entice Kurt Warner out of retirement,

this is fun
Colin Kaepernick

Aaron Rogers .. wait! he's still playing.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 07/11/19 02:29 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If Baker goes down .. entice Brett Favre out of retirement (fixed it)
He'd do it! he'd do it.

If Baker goes down .. entice Kurt Warner out of retirement,

this is fun
Colin Kaepernick

Aaron Rogers .. wait! he's still playing.

rofl
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 01:41 PM
I am pretty sure they will move forward w/Stanton & Gilbert and get rid of Blough.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 03:25 PM
I would not be surprised if they go with only 2 QB.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 07:37 PM
Me either
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I would not be surprised if they go with only 2 QB.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 07:52 PM
Maybe.

The couple WRs we have that can throw in an absolute emergency within a game are pretty crucial receiving targets though. This is if Gilbert/Blough is deactivated for that particular game.

There's a chance we keep 3 active QBs on gameday if our #3 is also a holder (specifically if we go with Jamie as the punter, as he has little holding experience).

I just hope Gilbert or Blough looks good in preseason. Other teams might be looking to pick up a #3 as well.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 07:53 PM
Literally not one team uses anything other than a punter to hold for kicks.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 08:00 PM
Yes.

So if we do end up going with Jamie (not likely), I hope he's a quick learner and reliable holder. Too many problems kicking last year.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 11:35 PM
Literally not one team uses anything other than a punter to hold for kicks.

I'm guessing you actually researched it and it is true. However, I have a question or two.

Why?

Do punters have better hands than any other position?

Would you rather have your starting punter injured as opposed to a backup qb or receiver?

Do punters spin the ball and place it better than backup qbs?

Can a punter make a play if the snap is bad better than other guys who play other positions?

Is the NFL that much of a copycat league?

Or, is it simply due to punters having more time to practice holding for the kicker than other positions?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 11:41 PM
The answers to all those questions are the same:

Maybe. It depends.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 11:44 PM
I highly doubt the answers to all those questions are the same. LOL
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/05/19 11:45 PM
"Highly doubt" isnt the same as "100 per cent sure."... haha
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/06/19 01:12 AM

Yeah, I know that,, thus the LOL and rofl

It's absurd to REALLY think any coach would any position group sucks.....

Thanks Damon I got Pit on ignore so I wouldn't have seen this if you didn't quote it, but I get to add in this part...

Unless you are Hue Jackson. Then you say you can't win because your players suck and it has nothing to do with the idiot play calling and time management issues that you have.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/06/19 01:14 AM
What little I've seen from Stanton has been a whole lot of suck so far this camp. Anyone think that we could keep 3 QB's with Stanton being the odd man out this year?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/06/19 01:29 AM
I think Stanton is here to implement/help with the system and is a good teacher and mentor.

I bet he stays and maybe we try to sneak Gilbert onto the ps
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/06/19 01:30 AM
I think Stanton is here to implement/help with the system and is a good teacher and mentor.

This system is so different than the one's he's played under though. Do we still need that player/coach?
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/06/19 02:26 AM
Looking forward to seeing Blough in 3 of the preseason games anyway. If he holds his own (and Gilbert looks better than Stanton), then maybe Blough goes to the PS with Gilbert as #2.

Stanton might be a more attractive name for a team in desperate need of a #2 due to injuries before regular season.

All things considered though, I still think Stanton will be our #2.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/06/19 09:47 AM
I’m not sure ... it probably depends on how they evaluate his importance to Baker. That’s something we don’t know haha
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

This system is so different than the one's he's played under though. Do we still need that player/coach?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/08/19 05:40 PM
Will the Browns keep three quarterbacks this season?

Head coach Freddie Kitchens appears to be leaning that way.

By Barry Shuck Aug 7, 2019, 7:32pm EDT

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/8/7/20759459/cleveland-browns-keep-three-quarterbacks-this-season

Most NFL teams only keep two quarterbacks on the roster each season. No head coach wants to see their starter go down, and then hope that they got it right as far as their backup.

But keep three signal callers on the final roster? That is just pure luxury.

Most clubs will attempt to stash a young guy on the practice squad as their emergency option. And quite a few future NFL starting quarterbacks got the opportunity to become bumped up to the active roster by running the scout team week-in and week-out on some practice squad.

Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens told reporters on Tuesday that he is in favor of keeping three quarterbacks on this year’s active roster, according to clevelandbrowns.com:

“I am probably not the best person to ask that because I was in Arizona when we carried two quarterbacks, and we lost one and then we lost one in the game – the most nightmarish situation that you can have. Two weeks in a row, we signed a quarterback on Wednesday or Tuesday and played with him on Sunday. I do not want to be in that situation.”

Currently on the Browns roster there are a few position battles especially at defensive line, wide receiver and offensive line. How does Kitchens justify cutting a bubble player such as wide receiver Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi, tight end Stephen Carlson, defensive end Chad Thomas or defensive back Phillip Gaines, to keep a third quarterback who may never play a single down all season?

Quarterback Drew Stanton is a capable NFL backup. He knows the system utilized in Cleveland and although he is no Baker Mayfield, he would have just as many weapons as Mayfield will have each Sunday. This will mark Stanton’s 12th NFL season, so he is a seasoned veteran who has thrown for 4,059 yards with 20 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in 17 starts across his 12 seasons

Behind him are two young bucks: Garrett Gilbert and David Blough.

Gilbert’s claim to fame was as the starting quarterback for the Orlando Apollos of the now-defunct AAF. He led that league in almost every quarterback category and was mentioned in the league MVP conversation. Orlando had the best record and his coach was quarteback guru Steve Spurrier.

However, the AAF was a league built on players that were not currently playing in any league, or in any country. Around 80 percent of the AAF’s players had signed an NFL contract at some point, but many were subsequently waived and remain unsigned.

As to whether or not Garrett can claim a roster spot remains to be seen, Kitchens said, according to clevelandbrowns.com:

“We like Garrett. I like Garrett on what he has done up to this point. We have not even started playing preseason yet. I do not know about the final [roster]. I do not want to crown him just yet.”

Garrett has been associated with five NFL teams and spent time on four practice squads. He has played in one NFL game with zero starts, completing two-of-thee passes for 40 yards and was sacked once. With Orlando, he threw for 2,152 yards with 13 touchdowns, only three interceptions, and a 60.6 completion percentage. He was the number one ranked quarterback in the AAF.

Blough was signed as an undrafted free agent on May 3. At Purdue, he had 871 completions on 1,429 attempts for 9,734 yards with 69 touchdowns and 43 interceptions in 44 career games. His career passing percentage was 61.0.

Of course, if Kitchens does indeed decide to keep three quarterbacks, this does not mean that one - or even two - of the three are even on the roster right now. As soon as each NFL club cuts their rosters down from 90 players to the 53-man final roster, there will become a slew of able-bodied arms that may be better athletes than the players the Browns currently have in camp.

Of the 32 NFL rosters last year, 17 franchises carried three quarterbacks - including the Browns. The club already had Kevin Hogan and Cody Kessler on the roster, then traded for Tyrod Taylor, Stanton signed as a free agent on a two-year deal away from the Arizona Cardinals, and finally Mayfield was taken with the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Hogan was subsequently traded to the Washington Redskins and Kessler was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Of course this year there is another wild card in play with the re-invention of the XFL to begin play in February of 2020. It is likely that any quarterback that is cut and then misses being picked up off the waiver wire is assured of being offered a job in the new league. So if the time does come where the second or even third string guy is needed, they may already be gone and the pickings are very thin.

Unless Kitchens, a former quarterback, can activate himself.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 05:31 PM
QBs:

Mayfield: Fantastic. Quick processing/accurate/commanding. What I’ve seen all camp.

Stanton: Inaccurate at times. Looked unsettled, below avg backup Q by backup Q standards.

Gilbert: LOVED his performance. On time, decisive, beat blitzes. He’s trending to No.2.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1159873933291732992
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 05:54 PM
Gilbert should be our backup and I wouldn't be surprised to see Blough beat out Stanton if Freddie keeps 3 QB's ... JMHO
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:01 PM
If Fruddy keeps 3 (2:activated on gameday), then Blough probably goes to PS - I doubt he beats out Stanton in any circumstance.

If it goes this way (Gilbert#2), then we trade Stanton to a desperate team. Imo.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
If Fruddy keeps 3 (2:activated on gameday), then Blough probably goes to PS - I doubt he beats out Stanton in any circumstance.

If it goes this way (Gilbert#2), then we trade Stanton to a desperate team. Imo.

Who is trading anything for Drew Stanton?

If we keep three QBs on the 53 man roster then there is a 0% chance Blough is on the practice squad.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:03 PM
Stanton is horrible his only good thing is mentoring Baker, and I think his QB coach will do that just fine ...
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:08 PM
Stanton is here for one reason...mentoring Mayfield like a coach on the practice field. I see Gilbert suiting up and Stanton be inactive but sporting that baseball cap on backwards sitting next to Mayfield.

Blough hopefully will make our practice squad.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Stanton is here for one reason...mentoring Mayfield like a coach on the practice field. I see Gilbert suiting up and Stanton be inactive but sporting that baseball cap on backwards sitting next to Mayfield.

Blough hopefully will make our practice squad.

No one keeps four QBs even if one is one the practice squad.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:15 PM

If we keep three QBs on the 53 man roster then there is a 0% chance Blough is on the practice squad.

I guess I was counting Blough as the 3rd kept quarterback - not on the active 53, but as one on PS who could be activated in case of injuries.

As far as Stanton - If a team loses a couple QBS in preseason, who knows?
Maybe just release him?

At any rate, I believe Freddy will keep him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:18 PM

I guess I was counting Blough as the 3rd kept quarterback - not on the active 53, but as one on PS who could be activated in case of injuries.

As far as Stanton - If a team loses a couple QBS in preseason, who knows?
Maybe just release him?

At any rate, I believe Freddy will keep him.

I think we'll keep Stanton too, I just don't know if we should. I also think Garrett Gilbert is our long term backup. He's not going anywhere.

Blough should catch on somewhere else at some point just like Brogan Roback did.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:27 PM
Practice squad has no relevance. We had 3 on our roster last year. The Blough thing was just I hope he sticks with the practice squad. If it makes you feel better eliminate him from my post.

What really counts is that Stanton will be inactive and Gilbert should be the #2??? Just guessing on that but we should have 3 on the roster. I don't really care about the practice squad and it has nothing to do with #4 it will have to do with us really liking somebody or not!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/09/19 06:27 PM
I agree that Stanton should be inactive.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 12:06 AM
j/c:

I hope to God that our backup qb is never forced to play in a real game.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 12:19 AM
I thought the backups looked about as great as the last 20 years starters. lol

Everybody, including most nfl starters, look like crap compared to Baker.

So, what I saw is some backups that might not crumple for a drive or two. They arent starter material if Baker goes down.

No backup will ever be that great, or they wouldnt be backups.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 01:09 AM
We have to be careful because it was a preseason game against a vanilla defense that didn't blitz much.

I thought Stanton looked awful. The other two guys made some nice throws and Gilbert has a nice arm, but they don't read defenses very well.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 10:46 AM
J/c
Gilbert was probably the best of the backups, but that isn’t saying much. Stanton is just not a good player on the field. Maybe he’s excellent off of it; but if he has to play we’re in trouble.

I think GIlbert is a good PS candidate, but he’s not ready to be the backup.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 12:48 PM
Starting your first, or God forbid, second backup means you are hoping for a win somehow. The fall off from BM to any of these would be catastrophic. We do have more talent to support them if it becomes necessary, and the offense could compensate better this season. But not what we would want.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 01:09 PM
ONe of the best Qualities of Baker Mayfield is he is ONE TOUGH COOKIE...The kid took on some serious blows in many games where he got teams mad at him...they took a lot of CHEAP SHOTS at him. I would think Ope thats it we won't see him anymore...and there he was the next series out there. I was amazed.

Baker is like the Black Knight in the Holy Grail (Monty Python) he will battle you when you think there is no possibility.

But never the less! We better keep him upright. The kid gets rid of the ball fast and the more he "GETS IT" the faster it will be out. But what we have to have is no more of this NO RESPECT from the officials. Teams especially in our division are going to take cheap shots at Baker. The Refs better throw the flag as in years past they would look the other way as our QB lay on the ground!

I thought Gilbert has some game in him and would be our best shot if anything befell Baker. Stanton just is not that good even if he knows where and when to throw the ball...he has shown us that he falls short in that area.

Gilbert on the other hand showed that he could make the hardest throw in the NFL...The Deep Out as he connected perfectly to the left and then to the right. That is how you judge an NFL QB or not. Anyone can throw the ball up the middle. Gilbert without a doubt is the best QB we could put out there if we have to miss a game via Baker.

Amazing as he was a senior in the same HS when Baker was an 8th grader. But Baker and Gilberts younger brother are pretty good friends. Wedding Party Friends.

Blough as I mentioned before is a kid I hope we see on our practice Squad. Dorsey doesn't do things like anyone else there is no rule that a team doesn't carry a 4th QB on the practice squad. One I think they increased the number of the practice squad and two Dorsey could give two dinks...if the kid is good put him there - he is good scout QB for those we will come up that run a lot.

jmho

But yeah if we lose Baker we are pretty much hurt the only saving grace would be our Defense carrying the team.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 09:10 PM
j/c:

I hope to God that our backup qb is never forced to play in a real game.

I recently heard a story about Tom Moore when he was the Colts offensive coordinator while Peyton Manning was the QB. Someone asked him why the backup QBs didn't get any reps with the 1s during practice. He said (paraphrasing), "Because if Peyton Manning isn't playing we're [the f word with ed at the end] and we don't practice [the f word with ed at the end]."

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 09:14 PM
Aha yeah i’ve Heard that story as well; and its basically true with any franchise qb
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 09:41 PM
j/c:

IMHO we need a better backup QB or at least move Gilbert up to the number 2 spot. So far? Stanton can't cut it.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 09:41 PM
I think Gilbert might eventually get to a backup level, but I don’t see us going into the season with him at 2
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/10/19 09:42 PM
J/c

Which reminds me, did anybody catch Minshew (sp) last game? He got wrecked! Welcome to the nfl moment
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/17/19 09:05 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/17/19 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

His AAF coach was Steve Spurrier!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/17/19 09:15 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/17/19 10:25 PM
Gilbert put to rest who the backup should be IMO ... he looked pretty darned good
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/17/19 11:26 PM
I think he may have put to rest who the backup should be when considering him or Stanton. That still doesn't feel all that good.

But here we are taking about backup QBs. That's a good thing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:13 AM
Agreed. Gilbert played very well today. I was impressed.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:54 AM
Agreed. Gilbert played very well today. I was impressed.

My wife asked me if I thought he would beat out Baker.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:28 AM
J/c

He looked much more comfortable and has a firm grasp of the playbook ... AND it looks like he went through progressions, which is a rarity for our QBs in the past

People have joked that he’s already a top 10 QB since 99 ... and of course it’s early, but he looked good today
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 10:50 AM
j/c

I've asked this before, and I don't remember anyone answering.

The stock answer to why Stanton should be the back-up QB is his value to Baker. But I don't think anyone wants to see him actually playing QB should Mayfield be unable. So why does he have to be a member of the 53-man roster to fill that roll? If he's basically a coach, why not make him an assistant QB coach then keep Gilbert as the backup and Blough on the practice squad? He doesn't have to be a player to be on the sidelines during games, I see dozens of non-players on the sidelines. And I'm sure being a 2nd or 3rd assistant coach doesn't pay as well, but I bet it pays better than not having a job...and I'm equally sure they can find a way to pay him more than the standard 3rd assistant coach.

So why does Stanton have to be a 53 player to fill his role?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 11:11 AM
j/c

The stock answer to why Stanton should be the back-up QB is his value to Baker. But I don't think anyone wants to see him actually playing QB should Mayfield be unable. So why does he have to be a member of the 53-man roster to fill that roll? If he's basically a coach, why not make him an assistant QB coach then keep Gilbert as the backup and Blough on the practice squad? He doesn't have to be a player to be on the sidelines during games, I see dozens of non-players on the sidelines. And I'm sure being a 2nd or 3rd assistant coach doesn't pay as well, but I bet it pays better than not having a job...and I'm equally sure they can find a way to pay him more than the standard 3rd assistant coach.

because Stanton is a better mentor than a coach. If you have played sports at a high level, most of us always had that one other player on the team... that you just took to. They made you better, they pushed you, they said things that no coach could tell you. That seems to be what Stanton is to Baker.

Put it this way... If you as a head coach know that your top 10 possibly top 5 QB is tied at the hip with a bottom 10 backup and is being pushed with your bottom 10 backup.... You keep your bottom 10 backup on the roster and you find someone else to be your real backup unti your stud QB outgrows the backup's knowledge. We did this for Lebron and it worked well. Many teams do this.

Personally, I think we should keep Stanton around at least for one more year. If any team loses their top 2 QB's you can't expect them to win with their #3. Stanton is probably going to end up the #3.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
j/c

because Stanton is a better mentor than a coach. If you have played sports at a high level, most of us always had that one other player on the team... that you just took to. They made you better, they pushed you, they said things that no coach could tell you. That seems to be what Stanton is to Baker.

Put it this way... If you as a head coach know that your top 10 possibly top 5 QB is tied at the hip with a bottom 10 backup and is being pushed with your bottom 10 backup.... You keep your bottom 10 backup on the roster and you find someone else to be your real backup unti your stud QB outgrows the backup's knowledge. We did this for Lebron and it worked well. Many teams do this.

Personally, I think we should keep Stanton around at least for one more year. If any team loses their top 2 QB's you can't expect them to win with their #3. Stanton is probably going to end up the #3.
I'm sorry, but I don't see why Stanton can't serve exactly the same role with a different title. If they call him a coach, his role can still be Baker's personal mentor without tying up a roster spot. He doesn't have to be a 'real' assistant QB coach (read QB coach's flunky.)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 11:48 AM
Players make way more than coaches. Stanton would get picked up by another team if we cut him from the roster.

There is also the unknown. The first is that the Browns believe he is a good backup qb. The second is that we might still cut him. We have some sharp guys making decisions now and I expect them to make the right one. This isn't the same group of guys who went into a season thinking that going w/three QBs who had never started an NFL game was a good idea.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:03 PM
Stanton would get picked up by another team if we cut him from the roster.

Agreed. And either catch on as a #2 for a truly desperate team or a #3 for someone else like he probably will be here - more likely the latter.

If Blough goes to the PS, we would have to carry (but not necessarily activate) 3 QBs. The Browns have said that carrying 3 is a possibility (but they say everything is a possibility). Most likely at this point is that Stanton is a deactivated, gameday "mentor" for Baker.

Or maybe he retires.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:15 PM
Once again, I'm sorry but I don't see why they can't be creative in carving out a role for him that doesn't tie up a roster spot. Now one of my assumptions, and it could be totally off-base, is that he likes his role as Baker's mentor. As I recall, he sought out the Browns for the role. If I'm wrong, then sure, if they cut him he could well land on another team. But at 35 with a career backup resume, there's no guarantee of that. And it won't be as being a part of one of the best stories in the NFL, the re-emergence of the traditionally moribund Browns to relevance.

They can call him a special consultant, or any other title that can justify paying more like a player than a coach, and if he can't find another backup job (if he even wants one at this point), a smaller paycheck may still be worth it to him to remain part of the story.
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:20 PM
versatile, I think the fans of every team that have a true franchise quarterback feel the same way. they pray they never have to play their backup qb. it is only the teams with a sucky qb starter who look forward to seeing the backup. sadly, that has been our plight for many years...... but t no more.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:27 PM
Once again, I'm sorry but I don't see why they can't be creative in carving out a role for him that doesn't tie up a roster spot. Now one of my assumptions, and it could be totally off-base, is that he likes his role as Baker's mentor. As I recall, he sought out the Browns for the role. If I'm wrong, then sure, if they cut him he could well land on another team. But at 35 with a career backup resume, there's no guarantee of that. And it won't be as being a part of one of the best stories in the NFL, the re-emergence of the traditionally moribund Browns to relevance.

They can call him a special consultant, or any other title that can justify paying more like a player than a coach, and if he can't find another backup job (if he even wants one at this point), a smaller paycheck may still be worth it to him to remain part of the story.

you are forgetting one other factor... Stanton still wants to play football.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

you are forgetting one other factor... Stanton still wants to play football.

Does he? He sought out the Browns before the 2018 season knowing he would likely never see the field. He sold them on hiring him as a mentor for their yet undrafted rookie. He's so good in that roll, in part, because he embraced it from the start. I got the feeling he was knew then his actual playing days were behind him (except for emergencies.)
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:01 PM
Hoyer is still riding the pine in NE. So there’s that.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Hoyer is still riding the pine in NE. So there’s that.

Since The Return, Hoyer - by far - has been my favorite QB before Baker. He was the one I was pulling for the hardest. He's got a good gig now.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:17 PM
I have had a burning question that is maybe more a sidecar to this thread; I was going to start it, but this one was up already. To the point: We have a QB situation (most probably) in preseason. The question I have while the next three get lots of game reps is maybe too generic but pointed nevertheless.
What are we looking for in our backup QB (or perhaps two) this season. Stanton was a necessity for bring BM along last year, and I assume that is continuing through preseason. I haven't been overly wowed with him myself. Gilbert looked better last night in Game Two. Blough really interests me; I think his game abilities surpass the people he has been out there with. I would like to see his reps with better personnel to get a better picture of what he might manage to achieve with a better group around him; that is what he might have as a backup.
I am not an overly QB savvy guy. To the thread's question and mine, what do you look at for grading and selecting a starter's backup? Is it all can he spin it? Read D well, manage the plan? I know they do all of these in different degrees, but what might determine what we are looking for based on needs and such? I would be OK with a backup that can be in place for several years. I think McCown just came out of retirement after all. If all we need is a tutor, so be it. I have liked what I have seen so far out of all of them, but how do you sift the wheat from the chaff?
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:18 PM
and something else ,, the coaches see more of these buys in a week than we, as fans, see of them in a season. Give them credit for knowing more about the situation than we do. This isn't Kizer and Hogan, in competition for a starting job. This is Stanton and Gilbert, and the decision is over who will run the scout team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:25 PM
j/c:

I think that Gilbert played well enough last night to warrant a place on the final 53 man roster. I don't think we would be able to stash him on the PS because I believe another team would snatch him away from us.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Browns handle the backup qbs.
Posted By: mac Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:33 PM
jc...

The Browns signed Gilbert to a 2yr contract at a very reasonable team friendly contract.

When the AAF league folded after 8 games, Gilbert was 1st in passing yards, attempts, completions and passer rating...and was 2nd in the AAF in TD passes, ints.

At 28, Gilbert has value not only as the Browns backup QB, but he also has trade potential.

IMO, the same cannot be said of Stanton, whose value is limited by his age. Stanton will never be viewed as a potential starter in the NFL...only a backup.

It might be best for the Browns to keep Gilbert as the backup to Baker.

Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:45 PM
j/c:

Freddie Kitchens: Drew Stanton ‘is our backup quarterback’

INDIANAPOLIS — Garrett Gilbert was one of the few things Freddie Kitchens was happy with after Saturday’s penalty-marred 21-18 victory over the Colts, but not not enough to replace Drew Stanton as the No. 2 quarterback.

“Well, I mean, everything is open right now,’’ said Kitchens. “But Drew is our backup quarterback. Drew brings a lot of value to our team. So, yeah.”

Read more:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...uarterback.html
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

Freddie Kitchens: Drew Stanton ‘is our backup quarterback’

INDIANAPOLIS — Garrett Gilbert was one of the few things Freddie Kitchens was happy with after Saturday’s penalty-marred 21-18 victory over the Colts, but not not enough to replace Drew Stanton as the No. 2 quarterback.

“Well, I mean, everything is open right now,’’ said Kitchens. “But Drew is our backup quarterback. Drew brings a lot of value to our team. So, yeah.”

Read more:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...uarterback.html
Yeah, I saw that quote after I had made my series of posts above. Kind of renders my line of reasoning moot.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 01:52 PM
I have had a burning question that is maybe more a sidecar to this thread; I was going to start it, but this one was up already. To the point: We have a QB situation (most probably) in preseason. The question I have while the next three get lots of game reps is maybe too generic but pointed nevertheless.
What are we looking for in our backup QB (or perhaps two) this season. Stanton was a necessity for bring BM along last year, and I assume that is continuing through preseason. I haven't been overly wowed with him myself. Gilbert looked better last night in Game Two. Blough really interests me; I think his game abilities surpass the people he has been out there with. I would like to see his reps with better personnel to get a better picture of what he might manage to achieve with a better group around him; that is what he might have as a backup.
I am not an overly QB savvy guy. To the thread's question and mine, what do you look at for grading and selecting a starter's backup? Is it all can he spin it? Read D well, manage the plan? I know they do all of these in different degrees, but what might determine what we are looking for based on needs and such? I would be OK with a backup that can be in place for several years. I think McCown just came out of retirement after all. If all we need is a tutor, so be it. I have liked what I have seen so far out of all of them, but how do you sift the wheat from the chaff?

Not sure if you were j/c, or if you were replying specifically to me.

For me, I believe Mayfield - despite his bluster - stills need a bit of a sideline guy, besides his QB coach and Kitchens, with whom to run through things ( familiar, consistent voice there solely for him). That's just my opinion. He doesn't have a full season under his belt yet. Right now that guy is Stanton. Stanton will not be here next year, might not even be here this one. But, it's probably a good idea to give Baker a bit of stability from last season.

Logistically, how do you keep a #3 QB talent on the 53 when it could be used so much better elsewhere. The consultant or QB coach assistant idea is an interesting one, but I don't know how you do it. Hopefully Blough goes to the PS. Preseason game #4 should give us all a lot of answers for the 3 backups. As of yesterday, Kitchens said Stanton is still #2 going into this week. We'll see.

As for the longer term answer at #2: I'm sure hoping Gilbert is just that for this season and next, then we can trade him for a couple players or 1 name and a draft pick (or something). He seems to make quick decisions, has zip on the ball and doesn't get flustered easily. He'll know this particular offense as well as anybody, from the ground up.

The reason McCown, Hoyer and a couple other veterans are sought after as stable #2's by smart coaches is not because of monster arms, speed, perfect spirals etc... It's the brain and that player's mindset that they are there to be whatever they need to be for the star #1. They are not there to compete for the #1. They are smart, healthy players that have seen it all. And they will retire in a couple years after helping along a #3 behind them (probably a pretty high draft pick) to take their place.

Stanton fits part of this, but he has seemed so "out of it" when pressed to play even in preseason against number two's that the it-takes-just-one-hit on Baker scenario is truly troubling. Dorsey and the Browns coaching staff will make the right decision with Gilbert.

We will draft a late round project next season for Gilbert to mentor in this offense (hopefully), then Gilbert will be gone sort of like I described above, imo.

It's a luxury to have a Hoyer, McCown at this point. But there are guys like Brissett, Tannehill and Keenum who will be in a similar mold for "career backup" status in a few years. Maybe that's the type of guy we should be looking at.

Jmho. I'm sure there are loads of people who disagree with me.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 03:53 PM
j/c...

Well nice to see what I've seen in Gilbert proving to be an asset to this team.

Dawg Duty...sorry no not even close to competing with Baker.
Velocity, Accuracy, Arm Strength all in Baker's corner.

But Gilbert without a doubt is the best to be "Dangerous" if perhaps Baker misses some time.

I also happen to like Blough a lot as I have mentioned I hope he makes the practice squad (I think the NFL expanded the numbers on the PS)

If you ask me. Unless Stanton is that valuable to the QB room, cut his ass and have Gilbert #2 and Blough #3.

And mentioned correctly Stanton has Value as a back up QB and now he has MENTOR status helping Baker last season.

He will get more than what an OC gets so he will not join us as a QB coach. Unless we make him the highest paid (3 mil) QB coach around.

But I'm all for cutting ties with Stanton and keep Gilbert and Blough for the season.

jmho
Posted By: jaybird Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 05:48 PM
It's just so refreshing that we have a 6 page discussion on who the BACKUP quarterback should be vs who the starter should be...like we've had for the paste 15 years or so.... so thankful for baker.....
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 05:58 PM
j/c

It's interesting reading comments here-and-there about grooming Gilbert for future trade value. I'm just happy that he looks like a guy who could be a long-term answer as our #2 QB.

I don't think any team is jones-ing to trade for a 28+ year old journeyman-at-best QB who looks like a decent backup.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 06:48 PM
I agree; there’s no doubt Gilbert deserves a spot ... us even trying to get him onto the PS would be foolish. He’d be picked up quite quickly IMO.

Now, in terms of Stanton, I think we’ll keep him IF we think he’s that important to Baker/Gilbert’s growth. That’s what it’d come down to in my eyes
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 11:48 PM
I like Gilbert as the back-up, but I'm sure Stanton is going nowhere. He looked horrible in my eyes the first game, but for some reason the guy has a winning record as a back up. So there is that to think about. Plus he could be mentoring Gilbert also, which would be an asset to the QB room.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 11:50 PM
Stanton has a winning record because he has had incredible luck. It has nothing to do with him being good.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/18/19 11:53 PM
Stanton has a winning record because he has had incredible luck. It has nothing to do with him being good.

I understand that, but winning does make a difference. Many back-ups like him float around the league and never have any success. He has. He may suck, but he did something right to give him that record.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/19/19 12:06 AM
Totally with you, Eo. You say it better han I can sometimes.

I think Gilbert now at 2. I like Blough enough to PS him and run scouting prep.

We really needed Stanton last year for depth, mentoring, in-game help for BM. That time is past, so he is a luxury. Could we hire him? I think we can. Not sure he has the fire in his belly to be a starter. Maybe he does. But if you want to keep him as a player and the backup, I believe he has shown all he has. I do not feel it is enough or positioning us for backup going forward. Seems at odds with the "Consistency!" mantra Freddie preaches.

How refreshing to worry about this. Thanks, Eo.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/19/19 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

I understand that, but winning does make a difference. Many back-ups like him float around the league and never have any success. He has. He may suck, but he did something right to give him that record.

The thing he did right was play for a team with a good defense. That’s it. His winning record is not indicative of his play.
Posted By: eotab Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/19/19 01:27 PM
Don't forget he hands the ball off real well... wink
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/19/19 01:34 PM
Stanton is a coach. He is great for that room. No different than McCown was. But, we don't want to rely on him. He was pretty bad when I was at camp and at the O&B Scrimmage. Multiple missed cues, terrible throws. Keep him, use him for his coaching abilities, but god forbid BM goes down...you gotta play Gilbert.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/19/19 05:39 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 07:13 PM
j/c:

What do you guys make of Gilbert not playing last night?

Was it because they think they can sneak him onto the Practice Squad and no one will take him? I doubt if that strategy would work.

Was it because he has wrapped up the #2 job?

It couldn't be that he is going to get cut...right?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 07:16 PM
I have no clue but I certainly though he made the most of his opportunities when he was on the field. I don't understand it and I'm not sure if it really told us anything.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 07:17 PM
I was looking forward to seeing him last night. Oh well.

I just don't like Stanton's arm.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 07:24 PM
Stanton looked and has looked horrible.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 08:40 PM
j/c:

Was it because they think they can sneak him onto the Practice Squad and no one will take him? I doubt if that strategy would work.

Eventual trade bait?

You're right, I don't believe he would last long on the PS. Keep him as an active #3 for awhile, and see who comes knocking?

I would guess he'll be auditioning for someone on 8/29. I'd hoped it would be for our #2, but Kitchens has said otherwise.

Cutting him outright would disappoint me.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 09:48 PM
I actually think that he'll be the #3 initially. I also think he outplayed Stanton in pre-season games, but I sorta understand why Stanton would be the backup.

If, God forbid, Baker gets hurt, Stanton would be the first guy off the bench, but he'd have a short leash. IMO, of course.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 09:51 PM
I think Stanton was playing for his job last night to be honest .... he may be cut now

I think Gilbert is already the backup QB and will get all of next week
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 10:05 PM
I'd hope... I don't think we need to carry 3 QBs. However, it's entirely plausible that we carry 3 QBs with Gilbert remaining inactive each week. If Baker is injured for any length of time, Gilbert will get the start with Stanton backing up.

I think it all depends if we think we can still win with Gilbert and how much Baker needs/wants Stanton on the sidelines with him.
Posted By: Dave Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 10:11 PM
I think Stanton was playing for his job last night to be honest .... he may be cut now

I think Gilbert is already the backup QB and will get all of next week

I hope you're right. IMO, there's no way you should keep a 35 year old career backup with a 66.3 QB rating over a 28 year old with a live arm, prototype size, and some legitimate upside.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/24/19 10:14 PM
I agree Dave ... Stanton really shouldn’t be on the roster to be honest, at least from an actual playing standpoint
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/25/19 03:09 PM
j/c:

I do not see how he would be getting cut. That would make me really question the front office/coaches.

I agree that he would not be long for the practice squad. I think he makes the team. Stanton's actual play is not a part of his value and I do not think we can afford to have him as a part of the roster if it means not being able to keep Gilbert.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 01:50 PM
It probably won't happen, but I am in favor of only keeping two QBs. Baker and Gilbert. I would cut Stanton. If the Browns like Blough, they could put him on the PS.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 02:38 PM
Same here ... I’d cut Stanton and save a roster spot
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 02:57 PM
My suspicion is Stanton still wants to play. The Browns still want him to be a mentor to Baker. The Browns are stuck. Cut him and he goes elsewhere. Therefore, cutting him in the Browns eyes isn't really an option.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My suspicion is Stanton still wants to play. The Browns still want him to be a mentor to Baker. The Browns are stuck. Cut him and he goes elsewhere. Therefore, cutting him in the Browns eyes isn't really an option.

U have to add to that Freddie was the QB coach in Zona when they kept two and then had to finish a game with no QB and then signed guys on Monday/Tuesday and they started for them 2 or 3 weeks in a row ....

Freddie mentioned that al least once in a presser ...

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out ....

TICK TOCK ... . LETS GOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 03:41 PM

There are a few teams that might like Gilbert. I like Gilbert for our #2 for the next two seasons. But I agree with the above.

Unless Stanton retires (still wanting to play or not).
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:22 PM
Yeah, my guess is if we release Stanton somebody will pick him up to play ... and a player’s paycheck is a heck of a lot more than a coachs’
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:31 PM
If Baker needs Drew Stanton around to be the best QB he can be then we have bigger problems than potentially cutting Drew Stanton.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:33 PM
If Baker needs Drew Stanton around to be the best QB he can be then we have bigger problems than potentially cutting Drew Stanton.

This doesn't make any sense. Just because Stanton can't play the position doesn't mean he can't teach it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:34 PM

This doesn't make any sense. Just because Stanton can't play the position doesn't mean he can't teach it.

Can he teach it better than Todd Monken, Ryan Lindley, and/or Freddie Kitchens? I am usually of the opinion that you hire coaches for a reason.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:36 PM
We will find out when the cuts come.

Whether Stanton stays or goes, we'll have our answer.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:38 PM
Stanton is not going anywhere and neither is Gilbert. Freddie will carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:40 PM
I think that's the way it will turn out.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:41 PM
Stanton is not going anywhere and neither is Gilbert. Freddie will carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

I agree this is what will happen. I just don’t think Drew Stanton should be on the team because he is basically unplayable.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:44 PM
There's only one issue you seem to be neglecting to consider here. And yeah, I would be MUCH happier with Gilbert as the back up myself.

But what you seem to be forgetting is the players union contract. The NFLPA and the NFL have a contractual agreement that limits the time that coaches can spend working with players. Both on the field and in the classroom.

Those same limitations do not exist between players. Having someone like Stanton allows for more time to be spent working with Baker that coaches aren't allowed to do simply because of contract constraints.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:45 PM

I agree this is what will happen. I just don’t think Drew Stanton should be on the team because he is basically unplayable.

Stanton on the 53, but Gilbert as the backup on the game day roster?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:48 PM

Stanton on the 53, but Gilbert as the backup on the game day roster?

If we are to believe Freddie Kitchens, no.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 04:49 PM
During the off-season? Sure. Now? No constraints.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 05:42 PM
I agree ... My hope: Stanton gets cut ... My reality: He stays
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 06:02 PM
Unless Baker really needs Stanton input during games we should keep the other two because they both show promise. Even Blough looked as good as Kessler last night. And Gilbert could start for some teams.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 06:07 PM
I was one of the few who watched the AAF before it went belly up. This kid has talent. Hopefully we keep him. If not I wish him well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 06:19 PM
j/c:

When I first brought up cutting Stanton this morning, I was sure to prerequisite my comments with "it probably won't happen..."

I am just saying I think Gilbert is better than Stanton and that I would like to keep a guy who could help us on Special Teams and who might have the potential to develop into a starter after a couple of years.

I do think Drew was valuable to Baker last year, but the latter was a rookie. I wonder if he needs as much help now as he did then?

But again, it doesn't mean I think it is going to happen just because I think it would be a good move.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Backup Quarterback? - 08/30/19 10:06 PM
Blough got traded to the Lions.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Backup Quarterback? - 10/29/19 05:06 PM

This seems like a good thread for this.

A team like the Bears should be trying to trade for Andy Dalton.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Backup Quarterback? - 10/29/19 06:25 PM
Driskel went from the kitty cats to the Lions. He looked like he showed some promise for them last year.
© DawgTalkers.net