Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1599358 03/07/19 03:14 PM
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Once the most popular position on the team, no longer thanks to #6. However we still appear to have a need now that Tyrod is out the door. While Mayfield looks like real deal this is the NFL and injuries happen. Here's how some of our options breakdown:

Keep what you already have:

Drew Stanton - Stanton has been a backup/spot starter before. Results have been meh but that's why he's been a career backup. Baker has credited him with being a great mentor which is why I think he should stay #3 on the depth chart. He'll be 35 at season start. I would not want to go into a game relying on Stanton to lead us to victory. Only reason I see having him be the backup at season start is if we draft a mid to late round QB.

The free agents:

The unlikely candidates- Foles, Bridgewater and Tyrod all in my opinion will be looking for a place to start (Washington, Miami, Jacksonville) or stay where they're currently at and hope to succeed the current starter (New Orleans).

Ryan Fitzpatrick- I think this is the best option. He'll be 36 when the season starts but he's shown that unlike Stanton he can play at a high level for stretches. HE is also coming from Todd Monken's offense in Tampa Bay and could aid in the transition on offense. HE could also be an option as a bridge to a QB needy team but he's #1 on my list.

Sam Bradford- Oh my how far you can fall in a season. Last offseason after losing his job in Minnesota to Case Keenum, Bradford signed a 1 year 20 million dollar deal (15mil guaranteed) to replace Carson Palmer and lead the Cardinals while Josh Rosen developed. That lasted three games where his play was abysmal before being replaced by Rosen. But then again even after his benching the offense just looked horrible overall. He was cut after eight games. This year it looks like he'll be seeking a backup role. Injuries will always be a concern but for a backup QB he's solid and could step in and spot start when called upon. Besides you can't have too many Heisman winning number one pick QB's from Oklahoma on your roster. Number 2 on my list.

The Rest of the group- RG3, Tom Savage, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown, Brett Hundley, Josh Johnson, Mark Sanchez...this is a pretty weak QB free agent class overall. Geno and Brock I could live with as backups but I don't see many of these guys being much better than Stanton. I like McCown but his age and the fact Stanton is already mentoring Baker will have me pass.

Trade or late releases:

The only name I've really heard floated out there is Ryan Tannehill who'd I'd be thrilled if we got as a backup but I think he'll be going to Washington if traded. If he is released I think he goes somewhere he has the chance to start or takeover for a QB on his last chance (it ain't here). I'm sure this offseason a few more veteran QB's will be available but as far as trades I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 5th round pick for one.

Draft a backup:

Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones and Drew Lock are seen as potential starters and will be taken too high to validate taking a backup that high. Besides them Ryan Finley, Will Grier, Clayton Thorson or Jarrett Stidham could be mid-round picks with the potential to backup Mayfield. A Tyree Jackson or Brett Rypien could be later round picks but I think more suited for 3rd string at least their first season. Its hard to say with rookies though. Without a solid veteran also in the mix this is a risky path but one that could pay dividends later.

Last edited by PresidentDawg2; 03/07/19 03:15 PM.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the idea of Fitz, but doubt it will happen. Two names I think should be on your list of possible late round/UDFA picks are Gardner Minshew and Trace McSorley.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I'm good with Stanton... And draft one later who we can stash on the PS.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Bring back McCown!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We will use a late round pick on a backup QB.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Fitz would only lead to a beard growing contest.

#GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Stanton stays. Draft Minchew or McSorley.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Exactly this, but perhaps bring in an UDFA unless there is someone that just HAS to be drafted because they are BPA at that point (5th or later).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Baker
Stanton

Practice Squad QB, who can be brought up is something were to happen to Baker.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

What i think we would need to do is to have a back-up that fits into the offense we're running. Where we don't have to change the play calling or make the team adjust to the change. I think that will limit the possibilities of many on some people's list.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Case Keenum

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Case Keenum

Supposedly headed to Washington

Last edited by CapCity Dawg; 03/07/19 07:01 PM.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I agree. The guy was been a decent back-up for a good while. Then draft one late or sign as a UDFA to develop for a year or two when Stanton retires.

Here is my deal with a back-up QB. I am looking for a guy who can play a few series, maybe half a game, and maybe even a game or two worst case.

Finding a back-up who can carry half a season is rare. It's pure luck. Who knows, maybe Stanton can do that...I think he has a winning record when he starts.

If Bake goes down, we are screwed no matter who we have.

I will say I like to carry 3 QB's on gameday. Surely we can give up one special team roster spot to keep 3 QB's active.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really liked the way your formatted your post. Very professional. thumbsup

Tulsa #1599556 03/07/19 10:46 PM
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Fitz would only lead to a beard growing contest.

Baker can learn from him.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
If Stanton stays, does Baker make him bring the RV?

Great post OP.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Stanton might be the senior guy in the clubhouse. You can't make him do anything or he'll fine you.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Fitz would be ideal, but I doubt he comes here ... he'll get more money/chance to play elsewhere

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Ballpeen #1599653 03/08/19 09:03 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The "right" backup QB situation is dependent upon what you have at QB1...and for more enlightenment, today is Friday.

All young QB1s can benefit from a mentor of some sort and for some time. Need? Maybe. The skill, talent and ability of that mentor is the key. If the QB1 appears to be the real deal - ala Baker - I prefer a vet QB2 and a developmental guy at QB3. I'd also prefer that vet QB2 be a guy who has been a starter in the league - even if for a short time - and knows he is now a backup. (Think Charlie Batch). He's a guy who can win more than a few games and keep things moving. If he were good enough to win over the long-haul, he'd be a starter somewhere...but with the QB1 in place, the backup has to be good enough to win enough to keep your team in the hunt.

Fitz and Keenum are/were at the top of that list for me - if I'm being reasonable. Stanton is on that list too...but not at the top of that list. Fitz at QB2 and Stanton at QB3 is redundant...Keenum at QB2 and Stanton at QB3 is not redundant. (I know the Keenum ship has sailed...thinking more of the Keenum-type with age, experience and ability.)

If your QB1 is very developmental - ala Kizer - the backup should not be a developmental guy in his own right (like we had the year before last). The QB2 should be a guy who can start and finish out the year if the developmental QB1 gets off the rails...winning is less important than keeping the ship afloat. (Think Blake Bortles...and probably Tyrod Taylor.) QB3 in this instance should probably NOT be a developmental guy either. (Think Drew Stanton and a slew of old guys who hopefully never see the filed.)

Trevor Simien (with Keenum out) is a guy I'd like to see with Baker as QB1 and Stanton as QB3. It buys Stanton another year before he becomes a coach...gives Simien a mentor who is not a HOF-God...and gives us a guy who can win more-than-a-few games. QB4 can then be a developmental guy on the PS...could even be a two year thing.

Once QB1 is seasoned and QB2 is a real veteran...QB3 should not be the old guy anymore and should be the developmental guy. If Stanton had Fitz' ability, we could go developmental right now at QB3...but he doesn't.

I think it would be a big mistake to go Baker-Stanton-Developmental guy when we think our playoff window is opening. We need a QB2 who can win while an ankle or finger heals up. If we think keeping Stanton on board is best for Baker's development, I think we should be out of the running for a developmental guy (other than on the PS) and need a real QB2 while Stanton remains at QB3. JMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keep Drew draft Rypien.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Baker goes down, unless we are 6-2, I think it's tank time anyway. Teams don't win with their backups QB's unless you're the Eagles.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Draft a backup...for me its Gardner Minshew II

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Another name I forgot to mention, if Blake Bortles is released is he a guy we look at as a potential backup? I think he may go someplace he thinks he can start but the thought intrigues me.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I feel like finding a "place to start" is a little thin this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With our new OC, Fitz ssems to be the perfect match.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PresidentDawg2
Another name I forgot to mention, if Blake Bortles is released is he a guy we look at as a potential backup? I think he may go someplace he thinks he can start but the thought intrigues me.

I think Bortles would be a great backup if he's willing to accept the role. QBs that run around replacing QBs that don't run around throw defenses off a ton.

I've said it a bunch of times before, but we need someone better than Stanton. He's terrible. Like among the worst backups in the league terrible. If he has to play, we lose. Obviously if Baker is long term, we are screwed either way. But keeping the team afloat if the QB only misses a few games should be the goal, Drew Stanton cannot do that. Blake Bortles might be able.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
After today's trade I think this position becomes even more important (and appealing). If Baker goes down I think we still have the talent to compete, but as I've said earlier I'm not a fan of rolling out Drew Stanton and hoping for success. Maybe he proves me wrong if the time comes but I think we need a solid backup: Fitz, Bradford, Bortles or hell maybe even convince Tyrod to hang around a little longer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keep Drew Stanton and draft a QB in one of the later rounds. Pick up a UDFA right after the draft too. Always a good idea to have some young arms around. Especially in camp.

Never know, might find the next Mark Brunell. Belichick always has a couple young QB's around. Then he trades them and gets more.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Having a solid #2 qb is a must, imo.

QBs do get hurt and sidelined every year and hopefully Dorsey and Fred are planning for such a scenario. Might be that Stanton fits our backup needs...if not, we may need to address the backup QB situation soon.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
With the moves we've made, the backup position does need changed/improved from Stanton. A guy that fulfills the mentor role ain't gonna cut it. We gotta have a guy in there that can bring it for a few games.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I look at the moves we have made the past 2 years to mean we are all in, if not for this year, at least by next year for a deep playoff run.

I don't know that much about Stanton so I yield to the front office for that determination. If they are OK with then I guess I am.

However, we MUST have a reliable backup. Stuff happens, and it doesn't even have to be a big hit in a game. Guys get hurt in practice, innocently tripped on the sideline going out of bounds, appendicitis.. Remember Dalton in our game last year? Bad snap, he goes to recover and suffers a hand injury ending his season.

I have to believe the FO is working on a plan. IF not they are negligent and I doubt that very much.

Legend
Legend
All things being equal, I think it could be this year. The talent is there.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
mac #1602370 03/13/19 08:49 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: mac
Having a solid #2 qb is a must, imo.

QBs do get hurt and sidelined every year and hopefully Dorsey and Fred are planning for such a scenario. Might be that Stanton fits our backup needs...if not, we may need to address the backup QB situation soon.

Not laughing at you mac...just in general. For 20 years we couldn't get one Solid QB and now we are saying we "MUST" have 2...lol

Oh I get what you all are saying but still think its pretty funny.

For me as stated the perfect back up will be Gardner Minshew.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
This is now a legitimate Super Bowl team, with all due respect to Drew Stanton, the team needs a back up that can still win games with the talent around the offense. Sign Blake Bortles. Draft Gardner Minshew. If Stanton can beat either one in preseason, he stays on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mike Glennon is available, as a player he would be an upgrade on Stanton.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
I side with Dorsey on this: our Backup QB is fine; even moreso than ever, now. Even Drew Stanton can go pass-happy with this offense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: PresidentDawg2
Draft a backup:

I haven't looked at the QBs one bit in this draft class. Anyone konw where Will Grier (WVU) is expected to go? I believe the "experts" had him in the second tier of this QB class but I don't think I have heard much since he skipped out on WVU's bowl game.

I did a lot of growing up in WV and always root for the Mountaineers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I side with Dorsey on this: our Backup QB is fine; even moreso than ever, now. Even Drew Stanton can go pass-happy with this offense.

Even so, you need young arms in camp. It never hurts to draft a guy and bring him along. If nothing else it gives you trade bait for the future.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Stanton plays all these new toys are order. We need a backup.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
I've seen Stanton start/play and I've seen his stats. I am not impressed in the least. Maybe he has matured and through time and experience has gotten better (ala Josh McCown), but history shows the older you get the more your skill set breaks down.

Now I'll give you this, he somehow finds a way to win. His career record is 11-6. That being said his career numbers have him at a 52% completion rating and a QB rating of 66.3. He's had Calvin Johnson in Detroit and Larry Fitz in Arizona to throw to; he's had weapons his whole career.

I'll trust Dorsey if he says Stanton can hold down the backup spot. I would just feel much more comfortable if he stayed as QB#3 and played only in an absolute emergency. If he does stay as the backup drafting a mid-late round QB becomes a must for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The backup QB

Link Copied to Clipboard