DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: WSU Willie How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 05:00 PM
Apparently there is another series of articles on this topic. This is a good one for the salary cap guys and why Dorsey isn't going to be overly patient with getting the team ready to win now.

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...e-contract.html
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 05:01 PM
This is a Jake Burns article analyzing Baker's play last year. This Burns guy is really good.

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...-film-room.html
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 05:07 PM
here's a video of Bitonio on the topic.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/jo...ou-want-to-play
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 05:09 PM
Njoku is clearly a fan.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/da...owns-enter-camp
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 08:25 PM
Njoku is someone who I’d get along with haha
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Apparently there is another series of articles on this topic. This is a good one for the salary cap guys and why Dorsey isn't going to be overly patient with getting the team ready to win now.

One of our board members tried to talk about that after the season but it didn't go over very well. Hell, another board member even made fun of him for saying such a thing.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/23/19 11:41 PM
Breaking down last year won't help them win this year. I expect they'll pay little attention,

This train's on a tight schedule.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

One of our board members tried to talk about that after the season but it didn't go over very well. Hell, another board member even made fun of him for saying such a thing.

I remember there being some discussion on the matter...I think the conversation didn't get legs because Baker has a 4 year deal with a 5th year option. Too far away for many to get interested in at this time. JMO

This article really goes into a lot of detail - not too interesting for me personally (too much detail as I get the point), but the numbers guys and salary cap gurus should enjoy the read. Those pre-CBA QB deals were insane.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 12:13 PM
I enjoyed your article. It makes sense to me. And I was the one who started a thread about taking advantage of having a good qb on his rookie deal. It just makes too much sense not to take advantage of it. The hard part is obviously finding a qb good enough to count on.

You know, sometimes I shake my head in amazement at the job Dorsey has done in such a short period of time. Super posted all those positional analysis threads and in almost every single case, you see something about how that particular position is so much better than just a couple of years ago. Hell, just look at the QBs and WRs. It's freaking amazing!!!
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 12:29 PM
The change in the roster makeup is truly remarkable...and the salary cap was not completely destroyed in the process...impressive.

The Burns article is a great read as well. He does an impressive job of making his point easy to understand by a variety of fans - from deep Xs and Os guys to the less technical fans. His breakdowns of Collins' play last year were eye-opening..
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 12:34 PM
Yeah, Burns does a great job of educating people. He provides pretty good detail and explains things in a way that almost anyone can understand.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 12:40 PM
It really is amazing what KJ has done ... it seems every position group has at least ONE STUD and plenty of talent around it ...

U mentioned WR’s & QB and that alone is incredible ...

I believe our WR corps is the best in the league and if Calloway develops it’ll be head and shoulders above the rest ... not even close ... and when we get Hunt back I believe the combo of him and Chubb will be even better than the WR group when comparing them to the rest of the league at their respective positions ...

Our DL isn’t talked about to much around here and its one of the top 3 in the league and could end up the best when its all said and done ..... the talent of our 4 starters is flying under the hype radar but is right there with the others ...

In the backfield we have Ward and Randall and who knows what we have in Greedy ..

The only position we don’t have bonafide studs at are LBer and TE ... by the end of the year Njoku or Harris could emerge as studs at TE ...

The turn around is mind boggling to me in the short period of time it took to do it ...

His “batting average” is going to come down a lot ... but the fact he hit on so many things all ready is just amazing ... last year’s draft could go down as the greatest in the history of the league .. and that includes when back in 72 i believe it was when the niners drafted 3 dudes for their secondary and All 4 of the niners defensive backfield started for the nfc in the pro bowl ...or maybe they were still playing college teams back then and all 4 of them started on that team ..

Anyhow .. his batting average is comparable to Joe D’s 56 game hit streak ...lets just hope it don’t turn into when Ted Williams won the triple crown but Joe D in the biggest snub ever won the MVP ...

LETS GOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 01:08 PM
What's amazing is that I was disappointed in that draft. I didn't like taking Baker, Corbett, or Chubb where we did. I was okay w/the Ward choice.

Man, was I wrong about that overall draft.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 01:20 PM
What's amazing is that I was disappointed in that draft. I didn't like taking Baker, Corbett, or Chubb where we did. I was okay w/the Ward choice.

See, I was highest on Rosen. But Baker fell behind him as my number 2. I acknowledged that the manager had other information that i might not have in-terms of character/chalkboard knowledge. But Baker was clearly my number 2 guy. Definitely behind Rosen, but closer to Rosen than Darnold (who was my number 3)

I was fine with Nick Chubb. Didn't understand the Ward pick over Bradley Chubb, and never heard of Austin Corbett.

And i'm absolutely giddy about last year's draft. As the title of this topic says, Baker changed everything. There's not a player in the NFL that i'd trade Baker with. There's no other player that i want to lead us on Sundays over Baker Mayfield
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 01:26 PM
You're right, Petey. Baker is the key. I was wrong. I can admit that.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 01:35 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 01:40 PM
Nice video.

I don't know if it's possible to overstate the difference in Freddie's play calling and schemes compared to Haley's.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 01:56 PM

Well ... neither of us has liked many if any drafts we’ve had since our return ... odds were stacked against us being right again ... *LOL* ...

I wanted Darnold but was 100% fine with Bake and would have been fine with Rosen also ... due to the fact his only “weaknesses” were things like could he throw into tight windows and he played in a “gimmicky” offense ... he had no real negatives the questions all revolved around things he didn’t have a chance to do ... that and tabbers takes (i trust tabber .. to me he’s one of the dudes who knows more about football then me) ..

LOVED the Ward pick just based on need and where he came from ... and i had NO CLUE HOW GOOD HE WAS ... HOLY CRAP BATMAN ...

I would have preferred K. Johnson over Chubb but LOVED Chubb also ... after Bark there was a group of about 4 or 5 backs i had about equal ... Chubb was right there ... i liked Johnson just slightly better ... i really liked that dude ..

Only thing that matters is KJ and COMPANY got it almost 100% right ... thumbsup

Lets not forget there’s Corbett and a few others that may shine this year ... this class could possibly get even better ... wooooohoooooo ...
Posted By: bonefish Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:24 PM

I echo that Vers in regards to Dorsey.

Effing amazing.

I always go back to when I watched Belichick and Jimmy Johnson going fishing on Johnsons's boat in Florida.

It was a cool show as lots about football was discussed. Jimmy stated that there is no doubt that the most important person in any organization is the talent evaluator.

What Dorsey as done here in such a short time is almost inconceivable.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:26 PM
The only person I remember on this board as being 100% pro Baker was devicedawg. There may have been others, but he was the one who advocated the most and got into it with those who thought it should be Darnold or Rosen.

I also remember the look & vocal disappointment by those Dawgs at the Draft when his name was called. So many got it wrong including the "experts" in the media.

Regarding Ward, when Chubb was still there everybody expected him to be the pick. I liked Dorsey and Gregg's quick response as why they chose a corner over a DE. It all made perfect sense and with exception to his missed weeks due to concussions/injury he made a dramatic difference from game one onwards.

I still question Corbett, that may be the one duff pick of the draft, but let's see how he does in year 2.

In Dorsey we trust.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:31 PM
Here's the next installment...excellent content.

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...and-browns.html
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:34 PM
j/c:

Quote:
Even if there’s unresolved tension between the two men (and there is), Jackson made it clear that he’s rooting for Baker.

“Absolutely,” Jackson said. “I’m one of the reasons why he came to Cleveland. I stood on the table for him.”

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:40 PM
Tabber was also ....

Device and tabber nailed that one ... thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:43 PM
Nice video.

I don't know if it's possible to overstate the difference in Freddie's play calling and schemes compared to Haley's.

To point out some of the understated and underrated impacts of guys like Vice Grips... we protected Baker by using lots of Max Protect, which severely limits the number of routes getting run - and we were still getting guys open with amazing consistency and racking up completions.

How many times in the past have we seen the Browns sputter, flail, and die on offense the moment we have to start keeping guys in to block? Now, we're able to do it and still tear defenses a new one. This all goes to Kitchens, the impact of Baker, and the skill & abilities of WR's that actually know how to get open and force a defense to react to them.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 02:45 PM
I think that is a good point. I'm not a fan of using max protection because it makes it pretty difficult for your receivers to get open. I think our receivers must have done an excellent job last year in those situations.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Tabber was also ....

Device and tabber nailed that one ... thumbsup

Willie clears his throat loudly. Just sayin'.

I got on the Baker train after his senior year and was all in on that guy from that point forward. Disclaimer: I've been wrong about players as much as I've been right. I was the sole rider on that train within my circle of Browns fan buddies...but they came around very quickly. On draft day, I nailed the first six picks...ended my streak when the Bills took Allen. Disclaimer: I was guessing/picking them one round at a time...and got very little correct after that.

Next hindsight claim will be with Kitchens. I was all-in from the start...a couple guys were curious and one guy was vehemently against it. Let's hope a blind squirrel finds more than one nut.
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 03:32 PM
That vid is showing the offense out there dictating. Protecting a QB is a lot easier with plenty of help and an offense that is fluid.

Most of Baker's movement behind the line seems predictable to the OL. He's very good at buying time at the right pace, maximizing his window, sometimes chasing the window all the way to the sideline. That's not hard for the OL, it's Baker vs defender at that point.

QBs that see a breakdown quickly and react before the defender expects it, maximize their window. And they make their OL look good while doing it. The "dictating" we witnessed last season with a rookie OC and QB was very refreshing.

We watched receivers running routes and expecting to get hit in stride.

It's a different mindset when a WR knows the QB is going to find him. It was an "aha moment" when Landry took one straight to the chest and watched it bounce away. And Baker Mayfield, the choreographer: on time, on target, freezing defenders, probably stares you in the eyes right before he throws the ball... and then grins.

The last play on this video, where he finds his window by stopping on a dime, to split defenders? Wow. The double clutch TD pass to Fells?? C'mon man. Over the course of last season, I began to notice that Baker, many times, throws directly at Njoku's head. Want to cure the dropsies? See if someone likes taking one to the face... He'll get those big mitts up there and make the catch!

Now add Hunt and OBJ to the mix - this offense is not coming out to dance with you, they're coming out to dance on your head.

I just really don't see the league keeping pace with Freddie, Baker and all this talent this year.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Nice video.

To point out some of the understated and underrated impacts of guys like Vice Grips... we protected Baker by using lots of Max Protect, which severely limits the number of routes getting run - and we were still getting guys open with amazing consistency and racking up completions.

How many times in the past have we seen the Browns sputter, flail, and die on offense the moment we have to start keeping guys in to block? Now, we're able to do it and still tear defenses a new one. This all goes to Kitchens, the impact of Baker, and the skill & abilities of WR's that actually know how to get open and force a defense to react to them.

Nailed it!

We saw some things last year that we've not seen much of STR. The right play-call, the correctly-run route, the correct spot on the throw with timing that was darn-near perfect.

I felt like I was watching another team at times.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/24/19 08:09 PM

I really wanted Darnold and Chubb and Chubb ... so I was 1/3 correct. Not saying Darnold won’t be good/great, but I was very wary of Baker
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 05:19 PM
Former Browns Offensive Line Coach Bob Wylie just told a story about the night Baker Mayfield took over in that Thursday Night game against the NYJ and won it. After Baker’s first series the O-Line comes to the sideline and they are laughing...Coach says why you guys laughing?

They say the Jets defense was taking trash and one Jets lineman says “hey rookie we are coming after you.”
Baker looks at him and goes “I don’t even know who you are man” The Browns Offensive line declared in that moment Baker IS THERE GUY

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1156532314496741381
Posted By: Damanshot Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I really wanted Darnold and Chubb and Chubb ... so I was 1/3 correct. Not saying Darnold won’t be good/great, but I was very wary of Baker

A lot of people were,, I sure was.. You are not alone man..
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 07:13 PM
Yeah, I recall it wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies in here that night. Admittedly, some did like the picks though
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

A lot of people were,, I sure was.. You are not alone man..
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 09:17 PM
Baker Mayfield came in and led by example, and he succeeded. This thread is the epitome of the great players make the players around them better. Success pushes further success, and winning begets winning.
Posted By: jfanent Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Former Browns Offensive Line Coach Bob Wylie just told a story about the night Baker Mayfield took over in that Thursday Night game against the NYJ and won it. After Baker’s first series the O-Line comes to the sideline and they are laughing...Coach says why you guys laughing?

They say the Jets defense was taking trash and one Jets lineman says “hey rookie we are coming after you.”
Baker looks at him and goes “I don’t even know who you are man” The Browns Offensive line declared in that moment Baker IS THERE GUY

That's great! thumbsup
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 10:31 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

That's great! thumbsup

That's Baker, through and through. grin
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 07/31/19 11:25 PM
New look, new leadership style for Browns QB Mayfield
By BRIAN DULIK

https://apnews.com/bacdbb12d7b440a2983e5db8b79eda4c

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Baker Mayfield didn’t hesitate to answer when asked what areas of his game he wanted to improve.

When the subject switched to his modified facial hair, he was far less revealing.

“That’s the elegance of having a mustache,” Mayfield said, unable to suppress a smile. “Maybe you’ll find out why I got rid of the goatee, maybe you won’t. That’s the great thing about having a mustache. It’s always a mystery.”

The second-year quarterback reveled being the center of attention Wednesday at the Cleveland Browns’ training camp, unveiling an array of situational plays designed by coach Freddie Kitchens and offensive coordinator Todd Monken.

Mayfield was especially animated when his unit failed to convert simulated late-game scenarios, loudly calling out teammates while displaying the leadership that Cleveland envisioned when it made him the No. 1 overall draft pick.

“Baker is leading in his way and that’s all he can do,” starting left tackle Greg Robinson said. “I didn’t know him from a can of paint last year, but there are some guys you can bond with and Baker is one of them. He’s open and he’s really friendly.

“When you get through one year, you’re more talkative and have a little more fun with it.”

The Oklahoma product and 2017 Heisman Trophy winner has been sharp-tongued toward his wide receivers over the first six practices, addressing Pro Bowl players like Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry in the same manner as undrafted free agents.

Mayfield offered no apology for pointing out their mistakes in front of fans — often using adult language — because he follows up the outbursts with calm, measured conversations in the locker room.

“I’m not a (jerk), you’ve got to talk through it,” said Mayfield, who set an NFL rookie record with 27 touchdown passes and won six games after taking the job from Tyrod Taylor in Week 3. “It’s nothing personal in getting after somebody. I hope they all hold me accountable, too.

“We need to be overcommunicating right now in practice because you’re not going to get two-minute drills where you have to score in the preseason.”

Kitchens has instructed his coordinators to treat 11-on-11 sets like a laboratory, experimenting with concepts that might not be used when the games count. He wants Mayfield to be uncomfortable improvising now and calm later.

“We’re creating an environment where it’s reactionary,” Kitchens said. “It’s about continuing to put the quarterback in a situation to decipher, then react accordingly. You may be planning on one thing, but teams may do something totally different. It can’t be a wasted play.”

Robinson said adjusting to numerous defensive schemes is challenging for linemen, but he noted that Mayfield’s running ability gives them some room for error.

“In a perfect world, you want him to stay in the pocket to make throws,” he said. “But if you do screw up or take a bad step, you do have that mobile quarterback who can slip out and keep the play going.”

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder had 131 yards rushing last year and said he enjoys scrambling out of heavy pressure. Yet he also stressed that his primary objective is consistency, not leading the league in highlight-reel plays.

For the Browns to take the next step and make the playoffs after a 7-8-1 season, Mayfield knows he must reduce his 14 interceptions, seven fumbles and 25 sacks from 2018.

“I want to make fewer turnovers, put us in better position to score more often, less negative plays, definitely less sacks,” he said. “Just really commanding the offense and putting us in the best spot to win. More wins, though, is the best individual goal I can have.”

NOTES: C JC Tretter rolled his ankle but remained on the field after having it taped. RB Duke Johnson (hamstring), RB Kareem Hunt (groin), DE Olivier Vernon (hamstring), TE Seth DeValve (concussion) and DE Chad Thomas (illness) did not practice. . Cleveland Cavaliers center Larry Nance Jr. — a Northeast Ohio native — attended the two-hour workout with first-round draft picks Darius Garland and Dylan Windler. “We’re Cleveland fans, so it was good to have them out,” Kitchens said.
Posted By: bonefish Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/01/19 12:36 AM

After listening to all the pressers on the team website; I am encouraged.

Greg Robinson was interesting "you know what I'm saying". Not to ball bust but damn guys sure say that alot. Greg seems honest. More comfortable. Listening to coaches. Genuine in wanting to improve.

Ward mentioned more cover 3.

The overall vibe is guys working hard. Knowing what is expected of them. Pushing each other for consistency. Second year guys finding the groove. Players pushing each other.

Freddie seems to be in full control.

I don't believe lack of effort will be tolerated by anyone.
The coaches won't accept it and neither will teammates. That is important.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 12:40 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 12:48 AM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or, is it somewhere in the middle?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 12:50 AM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or, is it somewhere in the middle?

It's a fun thing. It doesn't have to be good or bad.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 12:59 AM
Fun is good.

I'm just thankful it wasn't OBJ, Landry, or Hunt. It would be a bad thing then.

I do hope Baker has a grip on things. He was arrested for public intoxication. Looked drunk at the Derby. It's all good if has a handle on it. The chugging seems a little much, though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 01:06 AM
I'm just thankful it wasn't OBJ, Landry, or Hunt. It would be a bad thing then.

It's crazy that Baker and Gronk can get away with things that some others of a darker complexion might not be able. Imagine if Cam Newton did something like this?

(Kareem Hunt does bring a whole different set of issues to the table though.)
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 01:12 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 01:14 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 01:18 AM
Gronk is a great example. He is just having "fun." Meanwhile, Zeke is a thug. Baker is not a cookie cutter qb, but OBJ is a diva.

Race matters as to how people are judged in the public eye.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:01 AM
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:14 AM
Gronk is a great example. He is just having "fun." Meanwhile, Zeke is a thug. Baker is not a cookie cutter qb, but OBJ is a diva.

Anybody of any race, color or creed does that at a hometown sporting event and they get nothing but cheers. Don't try to make it something it's not!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:27 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Anybody of any race, color or creed does that at a hometown sporting event and they get nothing but cheers. Don't try to make it something it's not!

I don't care about it at all but the national conversation is what we are talking about.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:27 AM
Don't tell me what to do. I did not break a board rule. I expressed my opinion and I could care less if it upset you or not.
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:33 AM
You provided nothing but one article that showed a coach was butthurt and said "Ask blah, blah about Baker's dad". I could care less what you say about Baker, everybody loves him and you walk around with a stick up your ___ with everything he does or says.
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:34 AM
And I didn't say you lied - I asked for a link... and you've been crying about it ever since lmao.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 11:24 AM
No, I provided quotes from three separate articles.
Posted By: eotab Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:24 PM
Sorry I don't see nothing wrong with an OBJ or Cam Newton doing this and would be reacted to differently. Hunt and anyone who has been suspended in the past with conduct that was induced with Liquor on hand such as Hunt...of course it would be seen differently not by skin color but by their history of miss behavior.

Yes he had that mistake that some just won't let go...It was his 21st birthday for crying out loud.

Yes he was buzzed at the Kentucky Derby ummm its one big freaking party so what.

If and when Baker gets a DUI and suspended by the NFL for his actions while intoxicated that is when I will come down on him.

I'm sure Cam goes and parties up a bit at times...hmmm but we don't hear about it. Must be because he is black smh

Baker is now married his Big Man On Campus ways will slowly go away like all of us who attended College and had a life of some fun and merriment.

Baker will slowly get use to drinking fine wine and enjoying that with maybe some 50 year old Cognac...he will mature as almost all 22/23 year olds have in the HISTORY of young men.

jmho
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:35 PM
No, I provided quotes from three separate articles.

No. You didn't. You provided links to two articles that said the exact same thing. The exact thing that I referenced as "the only thing I could find" before you went off your rocker and accused me of calling you a liar.

Do us all a favor and grow up a bit.

Here's where the foray starts if anyone wants to verify the disillusion:
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1632935/re-vets-talk-to-baker#Post1632935
Posted By: eotab Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 02:53 PM
Sorry I don't see nothing wrong with an OBJ or Cam Newton doing this and would be reacted to differently.

A clarification as I read that statement...I don't see a different reaction if OBJ or Cam two players who DO NOT HAVE A HISTORY with Domestic Violence and Liquor involved like a HUNT....I don't see them getting a different and more negative reaction if they did EXACTLY what Baker has done.

Baker again is not MANZIEL!!!!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 04:48 PM
Again, this is not true. Hell, there is an actual quote from Baker's father in there. That isn't Patterson talking. It's Baker's dad.
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 05:22 PM
Fate, you cannot escape left wing claptrap even on a browns football board.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 05:25 PM
What happened to the days of Fuzzy Thurston !?
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/04/19 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
What happened to the days of Fuzzy Thurston !?

Fuzzy claimed he drank 10 vodkas to stay warm during the "Ice Bowl" game...

and he never got fined .. disciplined .. harassed .. or was told he was a bad person as a result.
Posted By: TripleOption Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/05/19 12:03 AM
I'm super impressed with how he BIT the beer and caused the puncture to enable himself to shotgun it. I've probably watched that bit alone 30 times.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/05/19 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
The only person I remember on this board as being 100% pro Baker was devicedawg.

Yeah, and ME.

I just didn't argue as much about it though
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 03:43 PM

Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
I'm super impressed with how he BIT the beer and caused the puncture to enable himself to shotgun it. I've probably watched that bit alone 30 times.

I think Freddie was impressed as well.

Posted By: mgh888 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The only person I remember on this board as being 100% pro Baker was devicedawg.

Yeah, and ME.

I was all in on Baker - there was a poll done on who wanted which QB and there was more than you'd think picking Baker. Maybe 12 total? I'd have been ok with Darnold, I wanted nothing to do with Rosen, Allen or Lamar.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 04:11 PM
That's pretty decent coverage by the CB. Nice throw, nice catch.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 06:05 PM
I used to be impressed with things like that when I was a kid too.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 08:52 PM
J/c

Looking at that clip of the TD to OBJ .. nice pump by Baker to wait for him to come open. You can get a feel for just how hard it is for Baker given his size haha
Posted By: jfanent Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

When you were a kid they didn't have those soft aluminum cans. smile
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 10:48 PM
J/c

Looking at that clip of the TD to OBJ .. nice pump by Baker to wait for him to come open. You can get a feel for just how hard it is for Baker given his size haha

Do you think it's hard for him? Is anyone concerned about his height? I do wonder how he sees sometimes back there.

I'd like to see him learn to play on his tip toes similar to Brees.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 10:59 PM
I was on Baker. Maybe not in the early period as I was still looking. But 6-7 weeks before the draft I knew he was the only QB we needed to draft. I came to the conclusion that if he was a inch or two taller, it wouldn't even be close.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/06/19 11:00 PM

Don't be mad because you don't have teeth. tongue
Posted By: devicedawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Yeah, and ME.

I was all in on Baker - there was a poll done on who wanted which QB and there was more than you'd think picking Baker. Maybe 12 total? I'd have been ok with Darnold, I wanted nothing to do with Rosen, Allen or Lamar.

I recall the poll about whom we wanted to draft with the #1 pick. I don't think there were more than 5 who chose Baker. But I could be wrong. I was also surprised at how many wanted Barkley.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:13 AM
This poll was for QBs:

Quote:
Only one choice allowed (36 total votes)
Josh Allen - 10 (28%)
Sam Darnold - 12 (33%)
Lamar Jackson - 0 (0%)
Baker Mayfield - 3 (08%)
Josh Rosen - 11 (31%)
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:42 AM
I wanted Baker and Loved the pick. Even said so in the draft thread. I’m not a guy that gets on here and argues opinions. At the end of the day I like how accurate of a passer Baker was and he showed he was a winner. I didn’t see a winner in Rosen, plus his concussion history. Darnold reminded me of Kizer in college, drives down the field only to turn it over. A RB at #1 when you are devoid of a franchise QB was not a smart move IMO. Said all along that QB at 1, BPA at 4.

Happy with the direction of the franchise at this moment in time.
Posted By: TripleOption Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:46 AM

I have a kid that's nearly Baker's age if that's what you mean? Unfortunately he doesn't have either of Baker's skill sets.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:51 AM
j/c: This is not meant for the dude I am responding to at all.

It's pretty amazing how many folks are patting themselves on the back about Baker and chastising folks who didn't like him before the draft..............but completely ignore all the previous evaluations where they were wrong and someone else was right. In fact, I remember being told that it wasn't right to bring up who was right. LOL

More hypocritical BS.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:56 AM
For whatever it's worth .... I wanted Darnold. I thought that Baker would be a competent QB, but nothing spectacular.

I was rather .... irritated ..... when we made our 1st pick.

I am glad to be wrong.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:58 AM
I wanted Rosen. Glad we took baker.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:10 AM
I think the notion of Baker being a winner is a little over the top. What did he win in college? I saw him not deliver against UGA. Played his worst when it mattered most.

I think Baker is the type of QB that will absolutely eviscerate bad teams. He's going to hold his own against mid tier teams. And until he proves otherwise he's going to struggle to deliver wins against top tier teams. I need to see him deliver a game winning drive against a top tier team when it matters most to change this opinion.

Before everyone comes after me...I cannot stress enough how happy I am that Baker is the QB of the Browns. But I am just trying to be objective here. This is what I saw the little I watched of him in college and last year. It's not a bash. I am a Browns fan first and foremost and want the Browns to win. I hope he's the guy to do that for the Browns for years. I would bet that he is. But I want to see some signature wins when the stakes are the highest.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:16 AM
I would not list that as one of my concerns. He has such bravado and belief in himself, that I believe he will be good in the big moments.

I have seen him make plays in big moments.

I have questions about the dude, but most of those are due to his character. As of right now, I think he will be good in the clutch.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
For whatever it's worth .... I wanted Darnold. I thought that Baker would be a competent QB, but nothing spectacular.

I was rather .... irritated ..... when we made our 1st pick.

I am glad to be wrong.

I've been keeping up with the Jets training camp because I'm curious over who will be the better player between him and Baker. By all accounts Darnold has had an outstanding camp so far (although Jets D is pretty bad).

This will be interesting to watch over the years. My guess is they will be the top 2 from this past draft and probably ended up exactly where they should have. Baker is a perfect fit for Cleveland.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I think Baker is the type of QB that will absolutely eviscerate bad teams. He's going to hold his own against mid tier teams. And until he proves otherwise he's going to struggle to deliver wins against top tier teams.

What tier was OSU when he beat them ... naughtydevil

Rumor around jets camp is darnold’s arm strengths improved ... he says its just him being more comfie ...

It will be fun to watch a bunch of the young QB’s ..

Watson, Mahommes, Wentz, Sam and a few more ... i’mmuch more intrigued by Murray than i was Lamar ...

Lots of potentially good young dudes to watch grow and develop ... should be fun to watch .. i know my old ass is gonna enjoy it .. thumbsup
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Yeah, and ME.

He was my choice. I said I thought he was by far the best before some of the pre-draft stats came out. But I don't post as much in here that time of year as the rest of you do.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 03:04 AM
I don't think there will be any contest on who will be the best quarterback from the 2018 draft. The prize is and always was Baker.

Darnold will have his moments. And I admit I was wrong about Rosen as he at one point was my #2 choice.

The next 10 years will most likely be dominated by Wilson, Wentz, Mahomes, Mayfield, and probably 50 yr old Brady if I'm being facetious.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 03:05 AM
j/c: This is not meant for the dude I am responding to at all.

It's pretty amazing how many folks are patting themselves on the back about Baker and chastising folks who didn't like him before the draft..............but completely ignore all the previous evaluations where they were wrong and someone else was right. In fact, I remember being told that it wasn't right to bring up who was right. LOL

More hypocritical BS.

I don't see anyone is doing what you're claiming. Unless of course you're referring to your own post.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 11:40 AM
You don't see...? A large part of this thread has been about who was right and who was wrong about Baker. Try this...

Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 12:23 PM
Based on what I've seen on this board, there will people who key in on this:

I think the notion of Baker being a winner is a little over the top. What did he win in college? I saw him not deliver against UGA. Played his worst when it mattered most.

I think Baker is the type of QB that will absolutely eviscerate bad teams. He's going to hold his own against mid tier teams. And until he proves otherwise he's going to struggle to deliver wins against top tier teams. I need to see him deliver a game winning drive against a top tier team when it matters most to change this opinion.

and completely ignore this part:

Before everyone comes after me...I cannot stress enough how happy I am that Baker is the QB of the Browns. But I am just trying to be objective here. This is what I saw the little I watched of him in college and last year. It's not a bash. I am a Browns fan first and foremost and want the Browns to win. I hope he's the guy to do that for the Browns for years. I would bet that he is. But I want to see some signature wins when the stakes are the highest.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I was on Baker. Maybe not in the early period as I was still looking. But 6-7 weeks before the draft I knew he was the only QB we needed to draft. I came to the conclusion that if he was a inch or two taller, it wouldn't even be close.

When my wife and I were watching the draft and Baker was picked, I just groaned... I wasn't happy.. I wasn't happy at all.

But then I saw him play in a preseason game and thought, maybe not bad

The night of the Jets game when he came in for Taylor, I watched,,, I was impressed and from that point on, my admiration for him grew...

Posted By: devicedawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:29 PM
Great! With your huge magnifying glass you shouldn't have any problem pointing me to the many posts chastising those who were wrong about Baker. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:38 PM
-jc-

I don't know if I was/am right about Baker yet. He still has a lot to prove. But I really did like him coming out. I've been wrong many times before and I can understand some of the reservations people had in making Baker the selection.

One of the reasons I don't come to the board that often, or I just come on and read and don't participate in discussions is because most of the threads turn into one big long argument back and forth on who was wrong and right. Person A is right and Person B is wrong in one thread, Person A rubs it in to Person B. Then in the next thread Person B is right and rubs it into Person A, Person A now cries about Person B rubbing it in.

I just come on a read articles for the most part. This is still a great place to see a lot of different articles/tweets posted from different sources. It's great to see the different perspectives and I don't have to bounce from one site to another.

The other reason I don't come here as much is because my son is a year round athlete in both youth wrestling and youth baseball and I'm help coaching both sports. I don't have the free time or energy to argue over who was right/wrong. Nor do I really care. At the end of the day, I just want to see the Browns win a Superbowl. However ever we get there and who was right or wrong along the way doesn't matter to me.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 01:45 PM
I agree 100%.
Posted By: eotab Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:22 PM
In that vote thing I think??? I voted for Darnold as I sometimes get influenced by people saying no way he would be #1 overall (Baker that is)

Thought it was between Darnold, Rosen and Allen so I might have taken Darnold but Baker was my dream pick for QB pretty sure I had some Private messages explaining why I loved him to be our QB!

Not everthing is accurate in a poll. Sometimes the parameters might skew the setting???
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:47 PM
I wanted Barkley at 1, then whichever QB was left at 4. Baker, Darnold, Allen, one of them would be there. I'm happy with the way things turned out, but I do not think my top 2 picks would have been bad either.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 02:54 PM
I wanted Darnold at 1 and Chubb at 4 and Chubb in the 2nd round ... I was worried about baker’s size and Ward’s size. Looks like I was wrong as of now (although I do think Darnold will be good and Chubb already is)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 03:36 PM

When you were a kid they didn't have those soft aluminum cans. smile

But we were manly men. wink
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
In that vote thing I think??? I voted for Darnold as I sometimes get influenced by people saying no way he would be #1 overall (Baker that is)

Thought it was between Darnold, Rosen and Allen so I might have taken Darnold but Baker was my dream pick for QB pretty sure I had some Private messages explaining why I loved him to be our QB!

Not everthing is accurate in a poll. Sometimes the parameters might skew the setting???

Same here. I was convinced Baker was "undraftable", specifically to the Browns at #1. I was brainwashed by the negative headlines, particularly from our local media and fans, into thinking he was too much of a risk. Not until days before the draft, hearing of how he jumped off the page in interviews and on the whiteboard, did I start to get excited. Wasn't really until then that I took a hard look at him and got past the negatives and size factor. I was still surprised when I heard the pick.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/07/19 05:40 PM
I really wanted Darnold badly too. Glad I was WRONG!
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/08/19 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: eotab

I wanted Darnold, Rosen, and even Allen before Mayfield. I was upset when the Browns drafted him. Now, I am glad I was wrong. Mayfield was the right pick. He has been everything we have been looking for many years.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/08/19 03:03 AM
I think it is too early to tell.

I just wanted a good QB. But I will be clear I preferred Darnold.

Darnold is a 2 years younger that Baker, and that is a not insignificant.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/10/19 12:23 AM
j/c:

"Baker Mayfield, the person."
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/10/19 12:52 AM
Originally Posted By: FreeAgent
One of the reasons I don't come to the board that often, or I just come on and read and don't participate in discussions is because most of the threads turn into one big long argument back and forth on who was wrong and right.

Person A is right and Person B is wrong in one thread, Person A rubs it in to Person B. Then in the next thread Person B is right and rubs it into Person A, Person A now cries about Person B rubbing it in.

Whew, Don't know bout y'all but confused for a second,
I think person B and person A need to Get A Room!
Baum-chica-bow-wow, rofl too much PDA.

{ December 20 something 2017 ( my post that states #1 and #4 overall), though it was somewhat non committal. }

If... If what's his name throws 3 td's in the opener, I may change my signature.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/10/19 01:13 AM
How pathetic is your life? Seriously man. It's amazing how much time you spend on me.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/17/19 01:26 AM
Mangini, Brilliant!

Posted By: Halfback32 Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/17/19 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Mangini, Brilliant!

Just giving credit where credit is due .. love it !!
Posted By: FATE Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 05:17 AM

Cris Collinsworth puts things in perspective... Baker conversation at 4:52

Posted By: jfanent Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 10:23 AM
Lol. I don't think that went quite the way cowherd expected.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 01:49 PM

I'd say that's right... I don't get this thing between Cowherd and Mayfield..
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 05:38 PM
Cowherd saw Darnold practicing as a freshman and was really impressed. I believe he said at the time that he predicted Sam Darnold was going to be the next Andrew Luck. He desperately wants to be right on that opinion. So he finds things to tear Baker down in the hopes to build Darnold up.

His latest argument for Darnold being better over the long haul is that Darnold is bigger, more durable, and more athletic. And he keeps his mouth shut. Not one single football reason mind you.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 05:58 PM
j/c:

I hate watching those videos. I don't even watch the Brown's videos. Will someone please sum up the exchange between Collinsworth and Cowherd?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 06:04 PM
Collinsworth is a huge Baker fan. I think he owns PFF as well (someone can confirm). He said they, PFF, were the first ones that said Baker should be the first pick in the draft. Said Baker is the kind of leader and competitor that you never feel like you're out of the game. Told a Favre story to illustrate the point.

I can't remember what Cowherd actually asked him. I think it was just something general.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/22/19 06:13 PM
Thank you.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/23/19 12:53 PM
Quote:
He said they, PFF, were the first ones that said Baker should be the first pick in the draft.

What? I thought that was me who said that!

I'm just kidding. Jokes!
Posted By: eotab Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/23/19 02:57 PM

I'd say that's right... I don't get this thing between Cowherd and Mayfield..

Cowherd is Vers...amazingly similar in their thought process. Too obsessed with Chugging a Beer as if he is a fall down Drunk or something...cause of his 21st Birthday experience on tape with the cops.

He is a GREAT QB as Collinsworth stated they had him as THE GUY way prior to the drat and he is THE GUY now!

jmho
Posted By: Damanshot Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/23/19 03:27 PM
Cowherd saw Darnold practicing as a freshman and was really impressed. I believe he said at the time that he predicted Sam Darnold was going to be the next Andrew Luck. He desperately wants to be right on that opinion. So he finds things to tear Baker down in the hopes to build Darnold up.

His latest argument for Darnold being better over the long haul is that Darnold is bigger, more durable, and more athletic. And he keeps his mouth shut. Not one single football reason mind you.

We'll that's as clear as mud. What does Baker have to do with Darnold being the next Luck.. He wasn't the first pick, but that doesn't make it impossible for him to be the next Luck... Very strange
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/23/19 08:41 PM
Always taking cheap shots.
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/23/19 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

When my wife and I were watching the draft and Baker was picked, I just groaned... I wasn't happy.. I wasn't happy at all.

But then I saw him play in a preseason game and thought, maybe not bad

The night of the Jets game when he came in for Taylor, I watched,,, I was impressed and from that point on, my admiration for him grew...

I was at the Jets game....I got there late....literally just got to my seat and I see Taylor on the ground....the crowd was chanting Baker Mayfield.....

and as a typical jaded Clevelander....I thought....NOOOOO...we're gonna do it again.....but he never faultered…...I was on the bandwagon after that...
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/24/19 04:53 PM
daman, I think it goes back to predraft. Colin cowpaddy was very negative about mayfield and his chances of being a good nfl qb. When baker lit it up last year he made Colin look like an fool. I would bet that he is rooting for darnold, Rosen or any other rookie qb from last year to prove themselves better than baker.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/24/19 05:16 PM
I thought Baker looked like some of his early starts last year. Missing high.
I think he'll be fine. My bigger concern is can he overcome D coordinators who have now watched him and can better scheme against him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/24/19 08:16 PM
Posted By: AZBrown Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/24/19 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
My bigger concern is can he overcome D coordinators who have now watched him and can better scheme against him.

Mine as well. My hope is that our offensive system will be just different enough (w/ some new pieces in place, a whole offseason for Kitchens to fine tune the play calling and Monken's input) that opposing defenses are going to get a newer look anyway.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/24/19 11:52 PM
Baker was not accurate last night.
Posted By: bonefish Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/25/19 12:44 AM

I love these because you can see the patterns all the way.

Watching games often the receivers leave the frame.

Honestly I like the way the game went. I stated in post game thoughts that it makes for teaching moments.

This the third pre-season game. I highly doubt any coach in the NFL is satisfied at this point.

The offense is a unit. They did not perform as good as they can. QB, OL, receivers, TE's, backs.

It is not on any single player. Listen to Freddie's presser.

I am glad Freddie handled the way he did. We can learn from this. Correct what needs to be corrected and move on.

Two weeks to get things right.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 12:58 PM
Baker was not accurate last night.

Did you watch the video? Where do you disagree?

A guy who actually gets his video commentary posted on message boards disagrees with you. What you got? Other than a comment with absolutely ZERO to back it up?
Posted By: eotab Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 01:09 PM
I would like to ask a simple question, what scheme did we see that rendered Baker totally ineffective? The one where they covered the WRs like a glove leaving hardly any Window to pursue?

The scheme that had Chubb, OBJ, Landry and Njoku out??? Well that is a good one I guess. What scheme? and even after he eluded some rush and got free there wasn't a WR wide open for him to take on. The only thing I saw him pass up on was the last second dump off to the RB.

Not getting snarky or anything. I'm just curious what scheme am I missing???
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 01:11 PM
10 for 26 w/a lot of throws that were inaccurate.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 01:13 PM
10 for 26 w/a lot of throws that were inaccurate.

So...the STATS say he was inaccurate. Got it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 03:28 PM
His passes constantly sailed high. It was a bad outing. Everyone has those. Just suck it up and move on.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 03:34 PM
Yup.

I don't know how you can look at that game and say that he was accurate. There were a LOT of misplaced passes. Granted, they were typically off by only half a foot to a foot from where you might want to see things, but that was the difference with a lot of them.

Their QB was off (aside from the crazy pressure), too, so it may have just been the humidity/air.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:12 PM
FWIW...I was referencing the Baldinger video. He was the one claiming that Baker was "accurate". He then proceeded to highlight (4) great throws that probably get caught by our starters in those positions...and he left out the Higgins touchdown throw that wasn't caught (tough catch on a great throw with great coverage).

I find it disingenuous to claim that Baker was inaccurate as a reply to that video without mentioning the video and the author's point. Those four throws were incredibility accurate - even though not caught. Different types of throws made with 3 of 4 giving the defender no chance to make the catch for themselves. The Higgins missed TD not included in the above.

Baker absolutely had some throws that sailed. He himself that he didn't have a good game. He looked...'off'. He did not whine about the drops, the frightening lack of separation or the incorrect depth on many routes (Kitchens words on the depth...not mine.)

In the end...a guy doesn't make throws like those in the video if he is an inaccurate QB.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:18 PM
I never claimed that Baker had zero accurate throws. He did have some accurate throws. However, as a whole, he had too many inaccurate throws in that particular game.

I'll be waiting for your six-paragraph essay of how I was wrong about Baker and how I want him to fail and how I will be miserable for the next fifteen years while he shines, etc, etc.

Hell, you've posted it so many times that I have it memorized. LOL
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:27 PM
I never claimed that Baker had zero accurate throws. He did have some accurate throws. However, as a whole, he had too many inaccurate throws in that particular game.

I'll be waiting for your six-paragraph essay of how I was wrong about Baker and how I want him to fail and how I will be miserable for the next fifteen years while he shines, etc, etc.

Hell, you've posted it so many times that I have it memorized. LOL

Do you have a link to those claims? Just because they are probably true doesn't mean that I was the one - or the only one - to inform you.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:34 PM

I find it disingenuous to claim that Baker was inaccurate as a reply to that video without mentioning the video and the author's point. Those four throws were incredibility accurate - even though not caught. ...

Baker absolutely had some throws that sailed. He himself that he didn't have a good game. He looked...'off'.

I see it as the same as the disagreement between Vers & I regarding the OLine. I mention that they did poorly and he defends them because he feels they did good in Pass Pro most of the time, but they sucked 100% of the time in Run blocking and still let up pressures and hits in Pass Pro....\ They were still "off".

Yes, they had some good spurts, as did Baker, and you KNOW the ability is there.. it's just that on this night the execution was not there, or when it was it wasn't there with consistency.

As a whole, Baker was not accurate Friday, just as the Oline, as a whole, wasn't so great overall. They both played well below their abilities and expectations.

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:39 PM
I agree. To that point, I'd like the starters to get a series in game 4 if for no other reason than to get the bad taste from their mouths.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:42 PM
I would like to see that, too, but if coach feels the reasons for them being off are easily explained and corrected and that they don't need the work, then I'm ok with waiting 10 more days to see them again.

As long as the problems get ironed out and they are ready, I'm all good with whatever approach they take.... though, the selfish part of me REALLY wants to see them all out there together, just to feed my excitement.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:45 PM
I have no inside info, but I think we'll rest the starters for the entire game. I could see them getting one series, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm fine w/that. I thought it was smart to let them play in game 3, but game 4 is another story. I think this game is more about getting a good look at the guys on the bubble.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:47 PM
A friend told me at lunch that he heard this morning to expect them to sit all the starters Thursday. It is what it is; I'll be watching no matter what smile
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:48 PM
I feel the same way. I want them to play, but I don't think they "need" to play unless something gets sideways the last two weeks of camp...which we will never know either way.

I like the idea of the starters going through the week's preparations knowing they will play the upcoming game. Dress rehearsal...if you will. Get in the groove.

I have recurring nightmares of Weeden/Kizer et al taking off game 4 as if they were 'ready'. We aren't those Browns and Baker isn't those QBs...but...battered Browns fan syndrome is tough to shake.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How Baker changed everything - 08/26/19 05:51 PM
jc -

Don't know how many of you do this or not, but when I go back and rewatch a game it's never as bad or as good as I thought. For example, i just recently rewatched every pass from the last Ravens game last season. My recollection was that minus the picks Baker was really good that game. I came away changing my thoughts on that. It was a bad game for him or any QB for that matter.

I just did the same thing with the TB game from Friday. Baker wasn't as bad as I thought. Let's face it, only a handful of guys are even attempting the throws he attempts. They were slightly off but I liked that he was attempting them.

We just need the season to start.
© DawgTalkers.net