Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

I don't think what Baker said is a "big issue." I am not trying to "blow it out of proportion." I said from the beginning that he should have kept his comments "in-house" and not said it to the media. The NFL is a business and you don't mess w/a player's "business."

Apparently, some of the vets felt the same way and talked to Baker about it. I'm glad Landry said it was a "non issue" and I hope the that the team, which includes Baker, learns from the situation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We all made sure we said it was no big deal. Then some posters tried to claim otherwise.

Then we have a post like the one Spiritbro77 made which does make a big deal out of it and I bet not one of those same posters who tried to twist the posts we made will say one word about it. I've grown quite accustomed to that silly BS and have come to expect it. It has become a form of comic relief.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Agreed. And I would have dropped it a long time ago, but those same posters would not let it go and resorted to ridiculous character attacks as if that would change the reality of the situation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, it WASN'T a big deal until the "Vets" decided to "talk to" Baker about it and then ran to the media to make sure everyone knew that.

Duke cares about one thing. HIS stats. He should be ELATED that we are now on a winning track. That the team is improving and he gets to be a part of that. But no, he's upset because HE is the only thing that is important. As long as he gets what he thinks are the proper amount of touches that is all that matters. What he SHOULD be doing is working his ass off trying to keep the spot he has right now. Competition for that spot will be stiff this year. Wonder how he'd like being cut?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
It sucks when people care about their career and family rather than a team that was trying to trade them before he even uttered a word.

Damn that guy!

Quote:
Wonder how he'd like being cut?

According to many on this board he's the best thing since sliced bread so he should be signed quickly after being cut. And actually, if someone actually thought about it for a second, if he were cut he could choose to go to any team that made him an offer.

Being traded he would have no choice of his destination. So he may actually prefer to be cut.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Do you realize that the NFL is a business?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
For the record, I don't blame Duke for wanting to be traded, but I wish he would have kept his thoughts out of the media and just talked to the powers that be w/in the organization.

It would a total "non issue" if Duke and Baker would have never went public w/their comments.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. Both of them should have kept it in house. I do understand however that a player in Duke's situation has very little leverage in these situations and one of the only options they have to garner any leverage is by taking it public.

I still don't like it though.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Jarvis Landry actually goes on record saying it's a non issue and Mike Silver comes out with unnamed sources.

Mike Silver is still grinding that axe since Hue was canned and Mayfield made his comments towards Hue.

This story has become as boring as the OBJ missing voluntary workouts saga.

Further support to your comment is the thread in this forum: Offensive Install Transition Slow to Mesh
That was originally from Mike Silver as well:

"I also reported that the transition to new [offensive coordinator] Todd Monken has not gone as smoothly as planned, resulting in [head coach] Freddie Kitchens playing a greater role in spearheading the offense than originally intended. We'll keep an eye on this as the season approaches," Silver wrote on Twitter.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...nned-132861900/

Since Hue was fired, I haven't seen a single Mike Silver article/report/Tweet etc that portrays the Browns in a positive light. Yet there have been numerous that criticize and demean.

Does that mean this or the other or any are false or made up? No, but it does make me look at them with a critical eye knowing that there is an underlying bias in his reporting that blatantly affects how he interprets and presents any information that comes his way.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good find. It seems like others have noticed the same thing.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

So, you guys are saying that Silver is lying about the vets on the team talking to Baker?

I guess it is a huge stretch to believe that professional football players would talk to a younger player about the importance of keeping stuff like this in-house.

In my first post, I mentioned this spin. This is what I was talking about. I knew it would occur.

I wonder who has a better reputation in the NFL........Silver or the guys tweeting these things about him? Guys like Michael David Smith, Nicholas Watson, etc or Silver?

I don't know the real truth, but I highly doubt Silver is lying.

One last thing.........I don't know why it would be such a bad thing for vets to speak to Baker and educate him about the "business of the NFL."

Legend
Legend
jc

maybe im the minority, but this drama is a lot more welcomed than the "is gordon getting suspended" drama we're used to.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't think you are in the minority.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree. And remember the WARS we had on here over Josh Gordon?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Swish
jc

maybe im the minority, but this drama is a lot more welcomed than the "is gordon getting suspended" drama we're used to.

This board has enough drama from a bunch of middle aged dudes to start a reality show. Instead of "Jersey Shore" it could be "Cleveland Harbor"

And my $0.02 on the actual issue. Baker if he was going to say it should have been to Duke and not to the media. He's a chatty guy and said it to the media, I'd expect the vets to just be like "yo, calm it down" and I'm sure they've moved on already. If that comment is enough to disrupt the entire locker room for the next few months, we're doomed (not likely).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

So, you guys are saying that Silver is lying about the vets on the team talking to Baker?

I guess it is a huge stretch to believe that professional football players would talk to a younger player about the importance of keeping stuff like this in-house.

In my first post, I mentioned this spin. This is what I was talking about. I knew it would occur.

I wonder who has a better reputation in the NFL........Silver or the guys tweeting these things about him? Guys like Michael David Smith, Nicholas Watson, etc or Silver?

I don't know the real truth, but I highly doubt Silver is lying.

One last thing.........I don't know why it would be such a bad thing for vets to speak to Baker and educate him about the "business of the NFL."

I don't, and I don't think many if any, think this is made up. But I think, and think most would agree, that Silver is trying to blow this up and make it into something that it isn't

Last edited by Jester; 06/14/19 10:30 PM. Reason: punctuation for clarity

Legend
Legend
Puts the inane in insane. Blow up drama. Going to get a Silvers bypass. Triple shunt.

Tiresome mudslinging.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay, I believe you think that way. Not sure about some others. It's why the tweets have become more talked about and quoted than the actual comments about vets talking to Baker.

Also, I didn't read Silver's comments. Is he embellishing them? Is he trying to say that Baker is a bad person? I read the comments that some vets talked to Baker and that he listened to them. I think there was something in there about it isn't known if he agreed w/them. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but again, perhaps he said more that I didn't get to see.

With all of that said, I do think the important thing is whether or not they talked to him or not. And hopefully Baker learned from it moving forward. Keep business stuff inside the house. Trashing Silver has nothing to do w/all of that.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/15/19 07:39 AM. Reason: Edit after reading other posts
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c
I can't believe what legs this freaking non story has.... I really can't.

Could and should Baker have handled the question better? Yes. Definitely.

Is it a big deal? No.

Do I think there is some truth to Silvers report - probably. Do I think Silver is going to be overly negative in his reporting of all things Browns when he can because of his relationship with Hue. Yes.

Do I believe the words out of JL carry infinitely more weight than anything Silver writes. 100%.

That's it. Period. Lets move on.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/15/19 08:57 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I wonder since Baker broke the rookie record
for TD passes if hes not a bit full of himself now?
some guys achieve a bit and they think they can
sound off on anything.
maybe hes trying too hard to be "Baker Mayfield"
here Mayfield heres 2 numbers for you

20 and 19.

new for you:
Baker has always been and always will be full of himself, of course a negative way of stating - Confident and Cocky.

Its part of what makes him a great QB.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: mgh888
j/c
I can't believe what legs this freaking non story has.... I really can't.

Could and should Baker have handled the question better? Yes. Definitely.

Is it a big deal? No.

Do I think there is some truth to Silvers report - probably. Do I think Silver is going to be overly negative in his reporting of all things Browns when he can because of his relationship with Hue. Yes.

Do I believe the words out of JL carry infinitely more weight than anything Silver writes. 100%.

That's it. Period. Lets move on.

All good points, but our Cleveland Harbor reality show isn't going to get much traction if just move on like that.

Where's Knight_of_Brown at, anyway?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's a cool thing that we can accept the opinions of others.

I do think the thread title is fairly clear. If you don't wanna read about it, don't click on the thread.

I don't see anyone crucifying Baker on here. Well, other than KOB. It seems to me that some people have a problem w/anyone daring to question Baker in any way.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My feeling is that this is the first time in a long time that we have something positive to look forward to in the upcoming season.

While hopeful, I know nothing is guaranteed, so I want to bask in that positive light as much as possible.

Which is why I don't like articles like this one and the offense developing slowly one. I feel the media is trying to drum up some negative stuff out of anything they can twist.

It's like c'mon man. We suffered for so long. Let us enjoy ourselves for a little bit.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I get that. There just isn't much news now. Not a lot to talk about. I don't think we should censor topics unless people are insulting others. That happened a lot on the last thread and no one complained.

My thing w/Baker is that this is becoming a pattern. He did stuff in college and he has continued it in the pros. Time for him to wise up, in my opinion.

I keep going back to his dad being a problem in college. When a kid is raised that way, it isn't surprising when he thinks he can say and do whatever he wants. It is my hope that the vets got through to him and that he learns/matures. I kinda doubt it, but that is my hope.

Legend
Legend

I keep going back to his dad being a problem in college. When a kid is raised that way, it isn't surprising when he thinks he can say and do whatever he wants.

You keep bringing this up. I know nothing about it. I googled "Baker's dad a problem" and get one article about TCU's coach calling Baker's dad arrogant. What am I missing?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
This is a tempest in a teapot. We need Duke at least until game eight. He is not gonna be a big star. This is Baker’s team, but he does need to dial it back a little. This will all be forgotten soon.

Legend
Legend
Anybody? What's the deal with Baker's dad? Did he cause some problem somewhere or is this all based on a coach calling his dad "arrogant"?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I dont mind Baker's bravado when it comes to opposing teams and coaches, media idiots, or really anyone NOT ON THE TEAM.

I like his fire. But dont throw your teammates under the bus.
That's where I draw a line, because team needs to be united, not fighting with itself.

However, if the team says its a non issue, then I'm not concerned. Leaders arent born, they are made. Baker is still learning.

No Craps Given
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"... We need Duke at least until game eight..."

It'd be nice to see Hilliard step up and make this less necessary.

But, you're right. You can never have too many playmakers on a team.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks Fate for opening the door to the likes of device. I am not a liar. I have been on these boards since 2001 and the long-time posters know I am not a liar. They might not like me, but they don't accuse me of lying like device and a few others do.

I could not find the original link that I posted twice before, but I don't think it's too hard to put together after you read the following links. There is a quote from Baker's father and comments from Gary Patterson.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu...d-at-texas-tech

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footba...res-back-122915

So, you have a father commenting on how one Big 12 coach treated his son and another Big 12 coach talking about Baker's father and you still want to tell me that Baker's father didn't interfere w/coaches while Baker was in college?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I rest my case.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Anybody? What's the deal with Baker's dad? Did he cause some problem somewhere or is this all based on a coach calling his dad "arrogant"?

It appears there's not much more, they did also say that, "If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker and his father.” But this came out after TCU screwed Baker over after his injury and refused to give the authorization for Baker to have another year of eligibility. Of course there were hard feelings. Baker did end up getting it after the Big 12 changed their bylaws.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thanks Fate for opening the door to the likes of device. I am not a liar. I have been on these boards since 2001 and the long-time posters know I am not a liar. They might not like me, but they don't accuse me of lying like device and a few others do.

I could not find the original link that I posted twice before, but I don't think it's too hard to put together after you read the following links. There is a quote from Baker's father and comments from Gary Patterson.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu...d-at-texas-tech

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footba...res-back-122915

So, you have a father commenting on how one Big 12 coach treated his son and another Big 12 coach talking about Baker's father and you still want to tell me that Baker's father didn't interfere w/coaches while Baker was in college?

Again Vers, I didn't tell you anything, I asked a simple question. Didn't call you a liar either. You've mentioned Baker's dad numerous times, that was the second time I've googled it to find nothing but a rant from Coach Patterson. Just wondered if there was anything of substance. Won't ask for any clarification in the future. thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's a cool thing that we can accept the opinions of others.

I do think the thread title is fairly clear. If you don't wanna read about it, don't click on the thread.

I don't see anyone crucifying Baker on here. Well, other than KOB. It seems to me that some people have a problem w/anyone daring to question Baker in any way.

"If you don't like it don't read it" is a school yard sort of response in my opinion ... I've lost count of the times where you post on others comments about the credit worthiness of what they wrote ... if that "if you don't like it don't read it" argument had any sort of merit then you wouldn't have needed to write those scores and scores of other posts - no?

As for your opinion of Baker - I'd say, from my perspective you focus on the negative in an un-neutral way. This thread is as good example as any - the posts/opinions you've made in it are fine and there's truth and merit in them. But there was a Duke thread already - and the Baker comments were in there. You felt the need to make a new thread because there was a report with a bit of a negative slant towards baker ... to be that shows your bias against Baker. It's not a lot but I think it's there ... and if it's not a bias against Baker then it's a bias and a way to needle the pro Baker posters on the board.

As I said - Baker should have handled it better and I hope he's learned not to talk about other player's situation to the media.... that said, the rest of it all is media spin and hype blown out of all proportion because it's the slow season.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay. You and a few others don't like my posts. That's fine. But, that isn't changing my opinion. I think Baker is a jerk and if you read the links I posted it ain't all that hard to figure out why I think that.

Dude is bad-mouthing coaches in one breath and then talking about being all-in another.

I really don't care if guys like you, Tulsa, and especially devise like me or not. I don't like you, either.

I'll stand by all my comments that Baker is not a very nice human being.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's definitely still June just in case you peeps are confused...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No news here as usual.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Okay. You and a few others don't like my posts. That's fine. But, that isn't changing my opinion. I think Baker is a jerk and if you read the links I posted it ain't all that hard to figure out why I think that.

Dude is bad-mouthing coaches in one breath and then talking about being all-in another.

I really don't care if guys like you, Tulsa, and especially devise like me or not. I don't like you, either.

Big Ben is trash and he is still going to the hall of fame...

Providing Baker delivers, I would rather like him to be a nice guy, but I don't mind him being trash.

Its not like its a big surprise...

Last edited by rastanplan; 06/17/19 07:33 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Big Ben is trash and he is still going to the hall of fame...

Providing Baker delivers, I would rather like him to be a nice guy, but I don't mind him being trash.

Its not like its a big surprise...

Big Ben has been accused of multiple sexual assaults and avoided charges lord knows how - putting him and Baker together because Baker has a chip on his shoulder and something of an attitude that rubs some people the wrong way is just so so so so wrong.

https://www.onewithheart.com/blog-content/benroethlisberger

The woman immediately reported the rape and went to the hospital for an exam. It is an understatement to say the investigation that followed was mishandled. Sergeant Jerry Blash, who did the initial interview with the accuser, had posed for photographs with Roethlisberger only hours earlier.[v] Blash discouraged the accuser from filing a report, immediately notified Roethlisberger of the allegations, and coordinated with Roethlisberger’s two bodyguards who happened to also be an off-duty police officer and an off-duty state-trooper, saying to them “there is no way this happened.”[vi] Multiple witnesses overheard Blash call the accuser a “drunken bitch” and say “this pisses me off, that women can do this”; statements that Blash later admitted making.[vii] The crime scene was never sealed off, evidence never gathered, and the bathroom was cleaned thoroughly the next morning. Despite lacerations, bleeding and bruising found during the hospital exam, the Georgia District Attorney determined there was not enough evidence to press charges.[viii]

Last edited by mgh888; 06/17/19 08:19 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I never got personal with you - I commented on your posts. I said you are motivated with a bias against Baker and/or against the posters who are pro Baker ... and you basically confirmed that.

I really don't give a rats patootie what he did in college - other than he was a very good and accurate QB who his team mates loved to play with and for .... everyone makes mistakes, especially youthful athletes. They deserve a second chance.

While with Cleveland, Baker stared Hue down in a Browns uniform - I had no problem with that because Hue has shown himself to be an incompetent HC with only his own self interest at heart .... Baker was asked about Duke and in my opinion aired things that he shouldn't have - but it's a storm in a tea cup and no big deal. He's still basically on a clean slate as far as I am concerned. Can't wait to see him in his second season.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Vets Talk to Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard