DawgTalkers.net
Minkah Fitzpatrick graded out as one of the top slot corners last year and the Dolphins are now playing him exclusively at safety.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-miami-doesnt-need-to-get-creative-with-minkah-fitzpatricks-usage
Does Miami have a plan?

I'm not sure what they are doing.
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Does Miami have a plan?

I think they know exactly what they are doing. They are going to get a buttload of picks and start all the way from scratch.
Crater for Trevor? tongue
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Clever for Trevor? Trade whoever for Trevor? Abhorrence for Lawrence?

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Dolphins trade out of their own first round pick like, like we did with the Eagles/Wentz, to get even more picks. Someone will be willing to trade up for Tua.
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Does Miami have a plan?

I think they know exactly what they are doing. They are going to get a buttload of picks and start all the way from scratch.

We had that plan for 20 years. wink It never worked for us.

We got lucky with Dorsey. Hopefully they find a good gm.

Fitzpatrick has got be worth at least one first round pick.
Yeah, he’s gonna be expensive trade-wise .. but will help a team big time and is cheap monetarily.

My guess? Chiefs
Would he not be worth our 2020 No. 1? He is a plug and play stud at a good price.
I agree, but I also think we want to go OL early and often and would say that’s more important to our franchise
Originally Posted By: The Big G
Would he not be worth our 2020 No. 1? He is a plug and play stud at a good price.
j/c:

I have a different take on the Miami situation.

I feel bad for the coaches because they all will be fired when the losing reaches ridiculous proportions. The acting GM will also probably lose his job at some point because no team has the fortitude to stick w/such a plan over the long haul.

I also feel sorry for the players who love to compete and really care about winning. Being stuck in such a situation has to be demoralizing. The game should not be played like this.

There already have been a ton of grumbling by the players in Miami and they were shellacked in week one by the Ravens. I have vowed not to talk about Hue and is coaching staff, but I am going to make an exception this one time and say something similar to what Joe Thomas did awhile ago. To keep a team believing in itself and playing hard week after week while knowing your FO is tanking and not trying to win is actually quite remarkable. I'm not going to debate this w/anyone, but I feel strongly about it.
Feel sorry for the whole franchise. The 'Phins were a favorite of mine with Csonka, Shula, Morris and that group. They certainly deserve better than this season will bring. Later in the season, I expect things to grind them down. This isn't what The Game should be about is insightful.
Does Miami have a plan?

I think they know exactly what they are doing. It's the Sashi Plan.

Short, sharp and extreme. Gut the team, suck badly for 2 years and year 3 you (potentially) compete for a playoff run.

Vers - I agree with you on Hue. When I supported him through those 2 awful seasons it was largely because the players never quit on him like they did with other regimes (Chud comes to mind). With that said - while Hue gets props for getting the team playing hard I am not going to give him kudos without also saying that in my opinion, the insight we saw into his management and insecurity while HC and then the interviews after he was let go painted a damning picture of a horrible leader.
Your post is a good jumping off point for what I'd like to say... but not in this thread. I think there's a Hue thread and I'm going to take this over there. I think the Minkah situation has enough substance to not go off on a tangent just yet.

My understanding is that, while Minkah didn't quite live up to his draft hype, he's still a real solid player. This type of situation really sucks for guys like him. Really good, and angling for that next contract as well as pushing for success on the field. It's hard to imagine the drop from being drafted and making it into the NFL to then being on a team like the Dolphins right now.
Quote:
The acting GM will also probably lose his job at some point because no team has the fortitude to stick w/such a plan over the long haul.

Oh, the irony is pouring out here. Too much for a Friday morning.
Miami are clearly tanking in order to get the #1 pick this year and next year. I feel bad for Rosen as he had no line in AZ and now no line in Miami. It's obvious they are also saying they want (presumably Lawrence). His (Rosen's) career has been hijacked by both the teams he has been on and he has never really had the chance to be the QB some people thought he was going to be. I kinda feel sorry for him, but as a Browns fan I also kinda don't as he publicly vocalized his entitlement of not wanting to play for us. At least Baker embraced it and essentially said "Bring It On".
They are waiting for Tom Brady to retire.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I have a different take on the Miami situation.

I feel bad for the coaches because they all will be fired when the losing reaches ridiculous proportions. The acting GM will also probably lose his job at some point because no team has the fortitude to stick w/such a plan over the long haul.

I also feel sorry for the players who love to compete and really care about winning. Being stuck in such a situation has to be demoralizing. The game should not be played like this.

There already have been a ton of grumbling by the players in Miami and they were shellacked in week one by the Ravens. I have vowed not to talk about Hue and is coaching staff, but I am going to make an exception this one time and say something similar to what Joe Thomas did awhile ago. To keep a team believing in itself and playing hard week after week while knowing your FO is tanking and not trying to win is actually quite remarkable. I'm not going to debate this w/anyone, but I feel strongly about it.

You actually have a good point and probably a good idea for Miami, to make sure they tank really good, hire the best (in this case the worst) coach available- Hue.

I also don't the Minkah falls in the same category, at most he should be a part of the re-build.. and I think it wa him who asked to be traded..

He probably thinks he is a much better player than what others see in him. He is more in the path of becoming a bust than proving others wrong...
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
The acting GM will also probably lose his job at some point because no team has the fortitude to stick w/such a plan over the long haul.

Oh, the irony is pouring out here. Too much for a Friday morning.

When you constantly engage in double talk and refuse to acquiesce even in the face of overwhelming evidence because you want to win some internet message board argument, you often back yourself into these types of corners.
On a side note, while everyone feels bad for the players and coaches, I feel bad for the fans.

Football is a short, fast season with a limited number of games. Fans spend 8 months of anticipation only to have it over week 1.

That sucks.
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
On a side note, while everyone feels bad for the players and coaches, I feel bad for the fans.

Football is a short, fast season with a limited number of games. Fans spend 8 months of anticipation only to have it over week 1.

That sucks.

Couple that with the fact these guys are being paid millions of dollars (hell, even hundreds of thousands of $$ if your on the roster) to play/coach a game and understand how this business works. If they get butt-hurt for being on a losing team, well, sorry I'm not sorry. They can feel free to cry me a river on instagram at their mansion or boat.

I don't even feel bad for fans, to be honest. In a similar fashion, you know this thang works. One can either choose to support it with their money or viewership. Or not.

Yep, we’ve been there MANY times before ... heck, we may even see it after Monday here.

Having no hope as a franchise is a bad feeling
First, I have a hard time believing we will lose on Monday. I'm nervous about it because it's not 100% certain, but we should win considering recent events.

Second, even if they lose, this team will do enough to keep us interested. There's too much talent. They'd probably upset the Rams the following week.

My absolute biggest concern is the game planning. When Freddie was asked what he saw on film with the Jets he gave some weird answer as if he hadn't even watched it. Something about worrying about ourselves. Literally this game is a near certain win if the coaches put on their thinking caps with a smart game plan. Stack the box, don't let Bell beat you, make Siemian beat you, and on offense play conservative with the occasuonal strike. This game plan would work with Darnold. It certainly should work without him.

Something tells me though Freddie and Monken are determined to show the world this high powered offense. They make enough mistakes and give any team a little hope and they could find themselves in trouble.

This game will tell us way more about the coaching staff than the team.
Yeah, you’re right ... interest in our team will still be there. It’s just gonna get the negative attention if we lose Monday.

If we don’t come out prepared and focused this week, we probably never will. This is a big show me week
Originally Posted By: The Big G

In a heartbeat, and then our CBs are Ward, Greedy, and Minkah.
i actually think a second and another late rounder would be enough..and I'd get him in a heartbeat. Flores is another BB disciple that thinks they know what they are doing...he does not...if you have a 205lb guy playing as a box safety and LB..you sir are an idiot
I know PFF has stated that a team shouldn't make it too complicated and simply plug MF at CB, but how has he performed at free safety? I have not watched him.

I only bring it up because of Randall's expiring contract and the very real scenario that we can't/won't pay him as a top FS. Maybe MF is a prospect to fill that void at a much cheaper rate plus you have the fifth year option on the guy because he was a first rounder. Couple that with the various amount of positions he can play, the value is there.

I'm not saying I'm all about giving up a 2nd for him but it is an interesting scenario because I do think there is a chance Randall walks.
they have been having him play SS
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
they have been having him play SS

Then he can replace Burnett!
he doesn't want to play safety, thats why he wants traded
plus, i bet his eventual contract will be higher as a #1 CB than a box safety
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
he doesn't want to play safety, thats why he wants traded
j/c

How must you feel if you are a player on the Dolphins team and they DONT want to trade you right now?

Player : "I want traded, you guys don't want to win!"
Fins : "wellllll, we are going to actually keep you sooooooooo".

rofl
They were not going to trade Tunsil, either.
j/c:

If they aren't able to get at least one high pick for him, then they shouldn't do it. The whole point is to accumulate as many 1st and 2nd rounders as you can early on.
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Clever for Trevor? Trade whoever for Trevor? Abhorrence for Lawrence?

thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Feel sorry for the whole franchise. The 'Phins were a favorite of mine with Csonka, Shula, Morris and that group. They certainly deserve better than this season will bring. Later in the season, I expect things to grind them down. This isn't what The Game should be about is insightful.

Yeah, I was a big fish fan during those years too. Always Browns first of course, but loved the three headed running game and the No Name D. Old school football at it's finest.
I don't think we should even think about trading our first again this coming draft. Dorsey has shown he's pretty good at drafting players so I kind of want us to keep our picks. If Dorsey pulls the trigger I'll support it. In Dorsey I trust. But I'll be happier keeping our picks this time around. Our secondary isn't bad as is and this is just year two of the Dorsey regime.
No more trades, keep the current team together.

( I think we've seen this show before, seems like a re-run.)
Never have seen a team so blatantly tanking.
j/c:

If they aren't able to get at least one high pick for him, then they shouldn't do it. The whole point is to accumulate as many 1st and 2nd rounders as you can early on.

I haven't been paying attention but,
I thought it the point was to Win the Super Bowl, or die trying.
Have you been watching the Browns the past few years?
Not even us?
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Does Miami have a plan?

The problem is we didn't have that plan until a few years ago. Then we acquired multiple picks that Dorsey was able to build his team.
Saw some of Fitzpatrick playing today, and I was not impressed.
Browns never tanked, but watch this can of worms, our head coach just wasn't very good.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Does Miami have a plan?

The problem is we didn't have that plan until a few years ago. Then we acquired multiple picks that Dorsey was able to build his team.

We had plenty of high first round picks the last 20 years. And we had lots of FOs who claimed to have a plan.

We just got lucky that Dorsey came here and had the cap space and picks for him to work with. It was a perfect storm.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

What are you trying to say.

Are you trying to say the Browns have not been trying to win the Super Bowl but rather stockpile draft picks, as if that was the whole point?

Of Course I've been watching the Browns, you know I have, you know we all have.

I'll say it again, The point is to win the Super Bowl.
We have a real opportunity for the first time in years to go along with a real proven football guy who judges players better than we have for quite some time. I just hope it doesn't devolve into another blown opportunity looking back at this season. We are not in as solid and as good a place as we should be and need to be.

As a fan, I am not enjoying game day yet. Maybe it starts tonight if we can unleash the Elf and get it done on the field. Scottish Hammer: Kick the divil outta the ball! HammerTime! brownie
J/c

Reading Steelers fans thoughts this morning, a lot of them wanna trade for FItzpatrick to start opposite Haden.

I personally wouldn’t if it takes a 1st round (plus) ... but then again, I haven’t watched him all that much ... I could never willingly watch a Dolphins game at this point lol
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Browns never tanked, but watch this can of worms, our head coach just wasn't very good.

Except that we did. We know this from that "Haslam is bad" article from ESPN that came out (IIRC) around the beginning of this past offseason.

ummm see the Browns a few years ago.

We tanked just as hard.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

We tanked just as hard.

We tanked but the Dolphins are taking it to a whole ‘nother level. We didn’t trade Joe Thomas and he was near the end of his career. The Dolphins are trading all their players even if they’re on their rookie contract.

We tanked just as hard.

We tanked but the Dolphins are taking it to a whole ‘nother level. We didn’t trade Joe Thomas and he was near the end of his career. The Dolphins are trading all their players even if they’re on their rookie contract.

Agreed. Miami is tanking on a completely different level by acquiring picks through trades of existing talent. We accumulated picks via trading back several times in the draft...and the rare Osweiler deal.

The end result is essentially the same (more early round picks) but the way getting there is different.
The Dolphins are ignoring one of the first steps in what we did: identify your young talent and keep it, then trade away anyone that isn't in your long term plans for future picks.

They're just simply having a fire sale and Everything Must Go!
Quote:
identify your young talent and keep it, then trade away anyone that isn't in your long term plans for future picks.

And if you can't trade them, cut them because they are drastically overpaid and see what you have with the young players while you build your cap space.

I think Miami will be "seeing what they have now" but much of our moves happened early in the offseason--not a couple weeks before the season and into it.

Just seems like weird timing for their recent moves.
Yep ......

Miami Dolphins: Everything must go! No reasonable offer refused! All sales final!

He stunk. And so did the team he was given to work with. Neither the HC nor the de facto GM have any excuse for their performance.

He stunk. And so did the team he was given to work with. Neither the HC nor the de facto GM have any excuse for their performance.

Yet one did make excuses....on the national circuit, no less.

The other did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Now would be an ideal time to play that video you always do.
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Are you trying to say the Browns have not been trying to win the Super Bowl but rather stockpile draft picks, as if that was the whole point?

In 2016 here are the QB's who took snaps at some point during the season....

Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan, Josh McCown, Robert Griffin III, Terrelle Pryor, and “Clipboard Jesus” Charlie Whitehurst.

I rest my case.
That doesn't change the results.

It's odd. We have a lot of people on the team that run their mouth. For some of them excuses are made. For others not so much.

Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan, Josh McCown, Robert Griffin III, Terrelle Pryor, and “Clipboard Jesus” Charlie Whitehurst.

I rest my case.

Rest your case??

Again you said nothing.

Are you trying to say the Browns were not trying to win the Super Bowl in 2016??
IF so then Come out and Say it!

I rest my case.

Rest your case??

Again you said nothing.

Are you trying to say the Browns were not trying to win the Super Bowl in 2016??
IF so then Come out and Say it!

I'm beginning to think you weren't being sarcastic earlier...
Yeah, it seems he actually believes that the powers that be tried to put a competitive roster on the field. There's nothing that can be said to help at that point.
I'll repeat something that I stated earlier in this thread. On the off chance that people don't realize that we were tanking over (at least) the 2 years prior to Dorsey's arrival, that ESPN article that talked about the turmoil going on due to Haslam's meddling explicitly stated that we were accumulating draft picks and young talent, sacrificing short term wins to build up a longer term talent base. I remember because the line went something like, "the plan required a strong stomach to handle losing over the first few years".
I'll predict the Chargers get Fitzpatrick. They've been ravaged with injuries in their secondary and they need to make a run with Rivers, who can't play forever.

We tanked just as hard.

See posts above.

Please, the Browns let all of their good players walk and started RG3 and Deshone Kizer.
Not like the Dolphins fire sale lil fella.
Do the Steelers know they just lost Roethlisberger?
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

And they’re going to have more with trade downs.
Dolphins have tanked the tankiest
The Steelers are 0-2 and playing with their backup QB who has never played before. The Steelers might’ve just traded away a top ten pick.
Hope Dolphins have a decent scout team/gm, because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Just saying.
I hate that an Alabama player goes to the Steelers!

Hate!
Hate to see the Steelers acquire talent, but better Minkah than Jalen Ramsey. ANd now the Steelers don't have a 1st next year.
The Steelers are 0-2 and playing with their backup QB who has never played before. The Steelers might’ve just traded away a top ten pick.

I doubt that they will be picking in the top 10. They played two very good teams. Fitz was picked at number 11 overall. I don't see this as a bad trade for the Steelers unless they play him out of position.
Originally Posted By: BpG

Please, the Browns let all of their good players walk and started RG3 and Deshone Kizer.

I don't recall too many GMs trading away a player they drafted in the first round the previous year. We didn't do it. The Cardinals did it with Rosen, but that's a little different. This is a stud defensive player you can use to build your team.

Just bizarre.

I don't recall too many GMs trading away a player they drafted in the first round the previous year. We didn't do it. The Cardinals did it with Rosen, but that's a little different. This is a stud defensive player you can use to build your team.

Just bizarre.

He was unhappy. You need to clear out the old negative energy to get all the new players to buy into winning. I doubt they would've let him go without getting a 1st rounder which can most likely replace a slot CB/safety. If he were a Myles Garrett they'd probably keep him to build around later.
J/c

There’s no doubt the Steelers saw a trend the last two weeks: Their defense had no control over the middle of the field (TE’s, drag routes, RBs, etc) .. they get Fitzpatrick who is under team control for 3 years at a cheap price.

I get the thinking ... but I’d get it more if they were secure at QB
That wasn't a cheap price.
I agree, but I’d probably pay it if I were a contender and needed help in the secondary Thing is, I’m not sure they’re a contender anymore
That wasn't a cheap price.
Quote:

He was unhappy.

A lot of Miami's players have been complaining and wanting out. They were doing it even before the season started. That should make people think about what happened in our situation, but it won't. LOL
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Hate to see the Steelers acquire talent, but better Minkah than Jalen Ramsey. ANd now the Steelers don't have a 1st next year.

Exactly the thought process I had when I saw the trade. Exactly.
We have acquired a 2020 first-round pick, a 2020 fifth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick from Pittsburgh in exchange for safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 seventh-round pick.

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1173948783408877569
Originally Posted By: myka

Just bizarre.

He was unhappy. You need to clear out the old negative energy to get all the new players to buy into winning. I doubt they would've let him go without getting a 1st rounder which can most likely replace a slot CB/safety. If he were a Myles Garrett they'd probably keep him to build around later.

IMHO, this is Trent Richardson 2.0... although Minkah had already slide in the draft.

He was far from being a stud last year.... very far...
We have acquired a 2020 first-round pick, a 2020 fifth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick from Pittsburgh in exchange for safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 seventh-round pick.

A BIG Bounty for a Team Going Nowhere smile

I'm surprised some members on the board aren't singing the praises of Chris Grier.
Lol thats an unreal amount of draft ammo
I'm surprised some members on the board aren't singing the praises of Chris Grier.

They should be. The plan that he is enacting is a great way to build a team when the team is stuck in mediocrity.

The ones that understand what he is doing get the process and appreciate it.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Lol thats an unreal amount of draft ammo

And they'll have more. They'll be trading down multiple times in the first round and acquiring future firsts. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade out of their own first round pick to a team looking to take a QB.

Great move by the Steelers.

He is a perfect fit for their defense.
Hello Miami Tua.
I think this move tells everyone what the Steelers think of Rudolph.

I doubt that they will be picking in the top 10. They played two very good teams. Fitz was picked at number 11 overall. I don't see this as a bad trade for the Steelers unless they play him out of position.

I do see this as a bad move, it reeks of desperation and I have no idea why.

The Steelers lost AB, they lost Bell, Ben is gone for the year, 4 of their 5 starting OL are over 30... and if Ben does come back will only have a year or two left in the tank.. they have some decent young talent but they are entering into a bit of a rebuilding phase and just gave away a ton of draft picks..

I think it just goes to prove that anyone can sell off enough assets to gain cap space and draft capital. It doesn't take a genius.

I think it just goes to prove that anyone can sell off enough assets to gain cap space and draft capital. It doesn't take a genius.

I don't think it takes a genius. It just takes someone with the right process (meaning the right way of thinking about things). It is hard not to have your process corrupted when you are in a competitive environment.
I think it just takes someone willing to fall on the sword.

But hey, at least with the Dolphins it looks like they are managing to do it all in one year instead of dragging it out longer.
Originally Posted By: dawg66

Agreed. And they have a better idea of what he is than anyone else. That doesn't mean they are right and it doesn't mean he will be good.

Even if he is "good" this year what does that even mean? He's not going to be as good as Roethlisberger was last year when they missed the playoffs and they're already 0-2.

On top of all of this they are on the hook for Roethlisberger next at a cap number of $33.5M.

Like someone else said, this reeks of desperation.

If that's the case then it's even harder than I said. Imagine being hired to what probably is your dream job and then doing things that you know will get you fired.

Tanking is a strategy that has worked in both baseball (both the Astros and Cubs tanked hard and won a World Series) and basketball (the Spurs tanked to get Tim Duncan). In football it is tougher because fans anticipate the season so much that it's hard to tell them that you are basically throwing away multiple years.

From what I've heard here on Pittsburgh radio, he will play safety.
I'm not so sure about that. I mean I guess I would have to look at the average length of an NFL GM at any one job to make a determination of my opinion on that.

The thing is, a GM has a guaranteed contract. It's not like the players who only have the guaranteed portion of the money guaranteed. So even if you tank and are out on your ass in two years, most contracts are four at least four years. So you're going to get paid anyway.

And if your resume doesn't quite add up to what the league is actually looking for in a GM, that makes the temptation even sweeter.
The thing is, a GM has a guaranteed contract. It's not like the players who only have the guaranteed portion of the money guaranteed. So even if you tank and are out on your ass in two years, most contracts are four at least four years. So you're going to get paid anyway.

And if your resume doesn't quite add up to what the league is actually looking for in a GM, that makes the temptation even sweeter.

My guess is that most people who take a GM job would prefer to be working than unemployed.

With Chris Grier it seems like everyone is on board with the plan so it'd be hard to fire him even though the team is going to be terrible for an indeterminate amount of time.

And I think this is a horrible take.
Selling off players adds to cap space. Trading away players adds draft capital.
Thank you, John Madden.

This move by the Steelers speaks volumes about that team.

They have shown an ability to identify certain players who fit exactly what they want to do. They also do a excellent job at developing players.

They have to be liking Rudolph to give up next years first. Rudolph has shown accuracy especially on deep throws. Really good at touch and dropping the ball in there.

There is no way they are giving up on this season. And our games against them will tough games.
Thank you, John Madden.

rofl

Basics are easy.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

I do see this as a bad move, it reeks of desperation and I have no idea why.

The Steelers lost AB, they lost Bell, Ben is gone for the year, 4 of their 5 starting OL are over 30... and if Ben does come back will only have a year or two left in the tank.. they have some decent young talent but they are entering into a bit of a rebuilding phase and just gave away a ton of draft picks..

I don't think they gave up a ton of draft picks. The lower round exchanges pretty much are even. They traded their first for Fitz.

Fitz can play. He's proven that. First round picks are not a given. Think about it............C. Coleman, Njoku, Manziel, Phil Taylor, Gilber, Weeden, TRich, etc, etc.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the Steelers will probably finish in the middle of the pack. Somewhere around wins. Fitz was the 11th overall pick and is a proven commodity.

There is no right or wrong answer here and I'm not "arguing" w/you. Just a friendly debate because I don't want to be part of the other discussion [sic] that is taking place on this thread. LOL
Tells me they think he is ready to perform, and are bolstering their Def to make a run.
It also could mean that Tomlin is feeling some heat (and their GM) and want to remain as competitive as possible to avoid a big falloff
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Tells me they think he is ready to perform, and are bolstering their Def to make a run.
It also could mean that Tomlin is feeling some heat (and their GM) and want to remain as competitive as possible to avoid a big falloff
Nah. They have been grooming Mason to take over. Its now become sooner rather than later. I have no doubt they make move regardless of Bens status.

Their Def is puke, and they have not been able to address in the draft, so they use draft capital on a young and solid starter who could be really really good, and is extremely versatile.
Tomlin is getting some heat, but he isn't involved in personnel decisions. Kevin Colbert, the GM, handles those duties.
Now they don't have a #1 Pick to draft a real QB which IMO Rudolph Isn't ...
Nick Saban heaped more praise on Fitz than any other player he has ever coached.
I think Pitt made a great trade and i think folks are reading WAY WAY WAY TO MUCH into this being linked to Ben/Mason ... not referring to u ... not sure actually, i can’t remember what u said and am to lazy to go look it up ... so i guess if the shoe fits, wear it .. *L* ...

Fitz is an extremely talented 2nd year football player ... this was a GREAT LONG TERM MOVE for them ...

The fact he became free the same weekend Ben went down is 100% a coincidence IMO ... they would have made this move if Ben was still healthy ....

He’s a BALLER ....
But if Rudolph proves not to be a starting caliber QB then the Steelers will regret losing that #1 pick IMO ...

They are following our blueprint. The Raiders did much the same.

Building through the draft the old way doesn't work as well in todays NFL.

When you have multiple needs, and can only get a player or two a year, you run out of time.

I think you are going to see bottom feeders doing this on a regular basis. Otherwise you stay near the bottom or possibly get stuck in the middle.
Why? ... there not going to throw the towel in on Rudolph after one year of starting seeing as how its only his 2nd year in the league ...

Just read this ... i would guess this has way more correlation to them picking up Fitz than what they think of Mason ...

SEAN DAVIS
DB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Steelers placed S Sean Davis (shoulder) on injured reserve.

Paxton Lynch was signed to the practice squad in a corresponding move. With Davis likely done for the year, recent acquisition Minkah Fitzpatrick will slide seamlessly into Pittsburgh's vacant free safety spot. The team now has eight former first-rounders on defense.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Sep 17, 2019, 11:49 AM ET
Rudolph looked pretty good against a really good Seattle defense.

the steelers made this trade thinking they still have a shot at the playoffs.

i mean, i hate the steelers, but look at their schedule.

nobody can tell me they dont have a good shot at winning a good chunk of those games.
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Now they don't have a #1 Pick to draft a real QB which IMO Rudolph Isn't ...
Based on one half of football?

I think its too early to tell what or who Rudolph is or going to be.

But don't forget, Pittsburgh has a knack of finding really good players much to our dismay.
j/c

Here's the problem with those trying to say that the Steelers will need to draft a QB with that 1st round pick.

They wouldn't be drafting at #1. I doubt they would be drafting in the top 10. The third or fourth QB drafted in any draft, and from what I've seen so far especially in a draft like the one coming up, isn't a very good gamble. And they really didn't have a lot of ammo to move up with.

They took a player with a lot less of a risk at a position of great need.

I mean we took Weeden because not much was left in desperation. I'm sure the Steelers took a long look at things before they made this move and I think they made a good one.
So did Andy Dalton - Seabags D is not the D of yesteryear.
You really believe that the Steelers will be picking in the second half of the draft with that Defense and no Ben ?
I'd say somewhere between 10 and 20. Let's face it, if there are great QB's in this draft class, those in need of a QB are either such bad teams they are in the top 5-10 picks, or it will take a team with a lot of draft capital to move up in order to draft one of them.

I don't think the Steelers fall into either of those categories.
jc -

For those arguing this is a good trade for the Steelers - and I'm not saying it is or isn't - would you support trading next year's first for Ramsey? It seems you can apply the same arguments I'm reading here supporting the Fitz move.
I'd say somewhere between 10 and 20. Let's face it, if there are great QB's in this draft class, those in need of a QB are either such bad teams they are in the top 5-10 picks, or it will take a team with a lot of draft capital to move up in order to draft one of them.

Fair enough but they lost Brown, Bell and now Ben, we will see smile
jc -

For those arguing this is a good trade for the Steelers - and I'm not saying it is or isn't - would you support trading next year's first for Ramsey? It seems you can apply the same arguments I'm reading here supporting the Fitz move.
Doesn't equate. DB is not a SEVERE position of need for us. You cannot even begin to compare the two teams as their needs are completely different, as well as their team dynamics and systems in place.
I would however trade a next years first for a 22 year old stud Tackle or Guard right now.
If it were for a top tier LT I might be on the side considering it a good move. We only have a couple of huge areas of weakness right now. If we were to shore up the LT position with top flight player on the second year of his rookie deal, I would probably be in favor of the that.

Because you not only have to consider the trade when it comes to the player alone, but the cost of his contract and age in regards to being able to be a long term answer.

Now for a secondary player? No, because that isn't a huge need like it was with the Steelers.
I think upgrading RT would do more for us than upgrading LT. Unless Robinson could move to RT, in which case we are upgrading two spots w one move.
For Ramsey ... no ... we have 2 corners ....

For Minkah ... 100 % ... he can slide right into Randall’s spot on his rookie contract ... he’s also not a douche ...
How about next year’s first (#32 overall) for Quentin Nelson
I would however trade a next years first for a 22 year old stud Tackle or Guard right now.
I didn't comment on Ben/Mason.

I think the Steelers made a move to acquire a player that is a proven commodity and almost assuredly better than the first round pick they gave up to get him.

Like I said before, think of some of the Brown's first rounders. Gilber, Manziel, TRich, Weeden, Njoku, Peppers, Mingo, Phil Taylor, Big Money, Leon, etc. A couple of those guys are decent, but most sucked and I would not take any of them over Fitz.
How about next year’s first (#32 overall) for Quentin Nelson
In a heartbeat especially since 33 a few years ago was Corbett.

I think the Steelers made a move to acquire a player that is a proven commodity and almost assuredly better than the first round pick they gave up to get him.

Like I said before, think of some of the Brown's first rounders. Gilber, Manziel, TRich, Weeden, Njoku, Peppers, Mingo, Phil Taylor, Big Money, Leon, etc. A couple of those guys are decent, but most sucked and I would not take any of them over Fitz.

Is it the same Fitz, are you sure we are talking about the same guy?

He sucked in Miami has a CB, was moved to safety/hibrid to try to get something out of him, and he requested a move...

He is far from having proved he is a stud, I would put in the Gilbert,Peppers level, lots of potential and lots of question marks.
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

He sucked in Miami has a CB, was moved to safety/hibrid to try to get something out of him, and he requested a move...

He is far from having proved he is a stud, I would put in the Gilbert,Peppers level, lots of potential and lots of question marks.
I really don't think you watch too much of him.

btw, does baker still have a noddle arm?

Man, I gotta tell you, I'm thinking that a team like Pittsburgh with an aging QB who may or may not return next season, might have wanted to hang onto to their 1st pick next season..
I was surprised too, but they must feel like Rudolph can answer the bell

Or Tomlin/Colbert felt so desperate to win now that they want to still be competitive at all costs
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Man, I gotta tell you, I'm thinking that a team like Pittsburgh with an aging QB who may or may not return next season, might have wanted to hang onto to their 1st pick next season..

This was my thinking. Steelers are not in the running for a top-tier QB, regardless. They're not ones to sell the farm for 1 guy, either.

Rudolph, when he came out, was a guy that had all the tools, but was raw and needed time. Pittsburgh have given him some time, and now they're seeing where he's at. I think they're actually somewhere in the middle of what the doom-and-gloomers and the Pitt-can-do-no-wrong folks. They have a very solid offensive line, and they just made a big move to help shore up their D. With Ben out, they're not going to be making a run or anything, but they're still going to be good. They've got that line that they can run behind, and they've boosted their secondary in a way they've been trying to do for years. Supposedly, Minkah is not the guy that's going to man the outside CB spot (even though he thinks he is), but him sliding into the FS spot will, I think, give that D the same shot in the arm that Damarious Randal did when he came to Cleveland. They've got studs and some solid guys sprinkled throughout that D, another high pick or FA pickup, and they'll be back to really good.
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

personally, I think they have their starting QB already waiting in the wings and they went out and got Fitzpatrick because Big Ben will probably never play for the Steelers again. Rudolph is the real deal. I really really wanted us to get him.

It's officially the changing of the guards. Theyw ill trade him away to Miami who will have a slew of new talent next year and need a stable QB to lead them for 1-2 years while they rebuild.
j/c:

Nick Saban doesn't usually heap a lot of public praise on his players, but consider some of these comments.

Quote:

How Nick Saban feels about Miami Dolphins’ Minkah Fitzpatrick

Minkah Fitzpatrick of Alabama holds the trophy while celebrating with his team after defeating the Georgia Bulldogs to win the CFP National Championship (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)

Nick Saban’s Miami Dolphins tenure didn’t exactly work out the way anyone would have liked, but he is arguably the greatest coach in college football history and he is a straight-shooter with NFL officials when it comes to his prospects.

Thus it is no surprise that Miami coach Adam Gase enjoys sharing a story or two about his time working for Saban at Michigan State and LSU. Or that executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum was huddled with Saban at this year’s Senior Bowl.

Did Kenyan Drake come up? Perhaps. Did Minkah Fitzpatrick? Seems likely.

The Dolphins selected Fitzpatrick because it’s easy to see his unique talent on film. But also because Saban clearly endorses every intangible aspect of Fitzpatrick’s fiber. Saban really likes Fitzpatrick the player and really, really likes Fitzpatrick the person.

Let’s take a look at some of the things Saban has said about Fitzpatrick over the years:

On Fitzpatrick’s versatility as a corner and a safety:

“We have six different positions in the secondary and he’s played every one of them,” Saban said. “I don’t ever remember having anybody that’s played all the roles he’s played here and done it as well as he’s done it.” (Associated Press/September, 2017)

On Fitzpatrick’s psychological makeup:

“Does he think about football the way I would like a player to think about football? Absolutely, because he’s not a guy who’s trying to memorize what he does,” Saban said. “We like, I like, conceptual learners. Guys that understand the concept of what you’re doing and then they can apply those concepts to things that happen.” (Associated Press/September, 2017)

On Fitzpatrick’s strengths off the field:

“He’s very conscientious, pays attention to detail, very disciplined, understands the importance of preparation. He’s not one of these guys that just thinks he can go out there and make plays without doing things the right way. He sets a great example in terms of his work ethic and how he practices and what he does every day. So there’s not a lot of things that you can say that Minkah doesn’t do exactly like you would want him to do as a coach and what you try to get all of your players to do.” (Montgomery Advertiser/January, 2018)

On Fitzpatrick contributing as a freshman:

“He played when he was a freshman, and has played in almost every game since he’s been here,” Saban said. “We had high expectations for what he would be able to accomplish and what he would be able to do here. I can’t say that we’re disappointed in any area. He’s probably exceeded those expectations because of the consistency that he’s been able to play with.” (Montgomery Advertiser/January, 2018)

On Fitzpatrick’s discipline, eye control and preparation:

“I think that he ends up making plays because of it,” Saban said. “I think some of our other guys, they want to make plays, but they have to understand there has to be attention to detail, you have to look at the right things, you have to put yourself in the right position, and then you’re going to give yourself the best opportunity to make plays.” (Anniston Star/October, 2016)

On why he gave Fitzpatrick multiple position responsibilities:

“He’s very versatile and he’s bright, he’s smart, he’s very conscientious, he works hard every day,” Saban said. “So if there’s anybody who can do it, I think he’s certainly the right kind of guy to do it. That may be how we end up this year.” (Decatur Daily/August, 2016)

On why he loves Fitzpatrick so much:

“Minkah does it as well as anybody I’ve ever coached, in terms of how he works every day, how he finishes plays, his conditioning level, just phenomenal,” Saban said. “Pays attention to detail. It’s important to him. Makes sure he knows what to do.” (Anniston Star/August, 2017)

On the example Fitzpatrick set at Alabama:

“A lot of players that are good players I’ve heard them say, ‘I’m saving it for the game.’ Every one of those players, and all those teams that I’ve been on that the players say that, none of them are worth a s—,” Saban said. “He doesn’t do that. I hope we have more and more players who work like him, because when you have players that do that, you usually have a pretty good team. He sets a great example.” (Anniston Star/August, 2017)

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.c...ah-fitzpatrick/

Fitz was also the first and only player Saban has ever allowed to watch film with the coaches on Sunday .... dudes special .... were gonna rue this trade for a decade ...

This year in TC the fish had him playing 6 positions including a hybrid Safety/LBer roll ...

This is the dude i wanted at 4 ... once we traded for Randall I knew he was off the board so i switched to Ward ...
Not arguing, but your "rue the day" comment begs the question...

Why then, did the Dolphins goof around with his position on the field so much? I think it's weird to play around so much with such an important player.
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Not arguing, but your "rue the day" comment begs the question...

Why then, did the Dolphins goof around with his position on the field so much? I think it's weird to play around so much with such an important player.

Fitzpatrick's best position his rookie year was slot corner. He was among the best in the league playing there. While valuable, slot corners can be found pretty regularly. A safety who can change the entire defense playing deep or in the box is much more valuable. My guess is that they wanted their top pick to be able to be as valuable as possible. Whether what they were doing is smart or not is up for debate (I would say it was not smart, let players do what they do best the most).
Why does that org. do anything ... they’ve been a mess for at least 5 years ...

Why did they gift us VG ...

Why did they trade tunsli?
Think they'd send us Julien Davenport for a 4th rounder? smile
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Why does that org. do anything ... they’ve been a mess for at least 5 years ...

Why did they gift us VG ...

Why did they trade tunsli?

I get what you're saying, but I'll be blunt and say that "they're dumb" isn't really a great answer. They let VG go because they didn't want to pay him the big bucks, and we did. Tehy traded Tunsil because they are amassing draft capital.

But that's different than playing a guy out of position a gajillion different ways, right? Why did they (apparently) play him at every position except his best one?
I’m not sure ... the fact there dumb could very well be why they played him out of position ...

Maybe slot corner was their weakest position ... maybe they had a really good FS (thats his natural position according to most) ... i don’t know ... i have no clue ....

We’ll see ... i hope i’m wrong ...

I could turn the tables on u and ask u if miami playing him out of position means he’s not worth a 1st rounder and WHY that alone makes him not a 1st rounder ... naughtydevil ...

PS. Not that it matters ... they GIFTED us not traded us VG because Gase is a bafoon who wanted to show he was in charge ... they gave up a dude that was in the pro bowl the previous 3 years and still had a year left on his rookie contract for a third rounder at most ...

This wasn’t a Clowney situation where he was refusing to report and they were in a bad spot ... Gase just decided he needed to prove who was in charge and mgmt gifted him to us ...

Thanks Adam ... thumbsup
With the knowledge of the situation that I have right now (not much), I would be inclined to agree with someone saying that the coaches playing him out of position would be an indicator that he's not worth a 1st.

But I reserve the right to get smarter on the matter... :-p
*L* ...

We’ll find out ... hope i’m wrong .... thumbsup
No offense, but I wish people would digest all the information available on a particular thread before asking rhetorical questions or making claims.

I posted earlier how Saban played Fitz at six different positions because he was so good at all of them. Thus, I would conclude that Miami played him where they needed him because he had that much versatility.
Alright... I'll hold off on any and all conversation discussion until I have all the answers from now on. I think I made it pretty clear I was giving my opinion, and could very well be wrong. I wouldn't call that making a claim, and it would've only been a rhetorical in order to keep a fairly productive football conversation going (where I was learning some).
I'm sorry. I even said "no offense." I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious that his versatility is a valuable commodity. But, I apologize if I offended you.

And bro, you should sit behind my keyboard awhile and read the crap that I get on a daily basis. LOL Believe me, you wouldn't find my previous post all that offensive. laugh

But hey, at least with the Dolphins it looks like they are managing to do it all in one year instead of dragging it out longer.

Haha! What? Chris Grier and the "GM" you're trying to reference were hired virtually the same day. So what team is dragging this out?

Or it says they believe Ben will return in a year and they're ok seeing if Mason could be the guy as this season plays out. It's win win. If Mason does well, they don't need Ben. If Mason struggles and Ben comes back next year, they have a very good player on a cheap contract.

I really don't think you watch too much of him.

btw, does baker still have a noddle arm?

Actually I did follow Miami, and I did follow Fitz, but apparently not many in this forums did.

Fitz did nothing special last year, quite the contrary. You can say that if anything he proved his critics right...

CFR says he was a very good slot CB, no he wasn't very good, and for sure he wasn't good enough to play CB,like I said so to start. Also no may teams in the NFL even use slot CB's or star players, that why most of the elite start players in Saban's scheme fail when they reach the NFL.

I stated he was a hibrid/star Niquel who couldn't play CB, and that's what he did in Miami, proving me right. So I am/was right, and most of you wrong. Al least so far.

I also never stated Baker had a noodle harm, I always stated he didn't have an elite arm, which, by my standards he doesn't. When I say Elite arm I say a Arm on the top 5 QB's in the league,not that he can out throw me for a long margin.

And not to be picky, but last games and some games and throws last year he kind of proves me right. Like it was stated before, its not the question of making the occasional throw, its about consistency, like you see when you watch the elite arm QB's in this league.

I like Baker, and think he is a good QB, and yes I admit I was wrong about Rosen, which was my major beef with picking Baker.
I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong, contrary to the majority of posters on this forum. But I never criticize Baker because I liked Rosen, I criticized the pick, not the player. Had some issues with the accuracy in college and how much it was a product of the scheme he played, but overall all this concerns went away. Providing he is in the right scheme he will perform at a high level.

Regarding Fitz, yes I always thought he was way over rated.
Not offended, but a little irritated. If I'm being honest, irritation had a little to do with work and not completely your post. Normally I type out those snarky messages and then close the window, but instead I hit send.

I'll own that one. My bad.
It's okay. I can see how my post was offensive. I didn't intend it to be, but I can see how it came across that way. We're good.
CFR says he was a very good slot CB, no he wasn't very good, and for sure he wasn't good enough to play CB,like I said so to start. Also no may teams in the NFL even use slot CB's or star players, that why most of the elite start players in Saban's scheme fail when they reach the NFL.

Quote:
Among the 34 defensive players with 200 or more coverage snaps in the slot last season, he ranked first in completion percentage allowed (51.3%), first in passer rating allowed (53.4) and tied for ninth in coverage grade (76.7).

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-miami-doesnt-need-to-get-creative-with-minkah-fitzpatricks-usage

I know PFF isn't gospel but I trust it over rastanplan.

Quote:
Among the 34 defensive players with 200 or more coverage snaps in the slot last season, he ranked first in completion percentage allowed (51.3%), first in passer rating allowed (53.4) and tied for ninth in coverage grade (76.7).

Agreed. As well as he def. said baker had a noodle arm.
Quote:
although I continue to consider that he does not have the arm to make all NFL throws, specially to his left side, outside the numbers.

rofl rofl
This is off topic, but Baker definitely has a PLUS arm.

Quote:

I just want to point to the fact that defensive players who cover the slot, aren't called slot CB's... actually its usually a position the NFL does not use in a normal formation.

In conclusion I was pointing to the fact that the mere suggestion that Fitz was a Slot CB automatically disqualifies him from being good, it simply means that he was worst than the 2 CBs and possibly the safeties in the Miami team. Hardly a good thing. PFF grade was average.

And if you remember my posts in the Fitz thread last year, you should recall what my position was... that he wasn't a CB, never played CB in college, the closer position he played in college was Strong Safety.

And I repeat, I stated that Baker does not have an elite arm.. and I also explained that my elite definition implies him being one of the top arms in starting QB's, which IMHO he is not.

I trust the evaluation of the Steelers.

They would not trade a first without in depth knowledge.

The last time they traded a first rounder was in the sixties.

I respect their ability to find players who fit their schemes.
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I trust the evaluation of the Steelers.

They would not trade a first without in depth knowledge.

The last time they traded a first rounder was in the sixties.

I respect their ability to find players who fit their schemes.

I never disqualify the possibility of being wrong, specially in this type of things.

For sure there were players I though were bad and turned our good, and players I though were good that turned out to be busts, Rosen for example, and Richardson.

Usually it does not take that much time to see... and in the case on Minkah, like it was the case for Jabrill, I just don't see it.

But again,I could be wrong and both end up in the hall of fame.

I actually like being wrong in the players I think are bad... don't which the kids bad, believe me, if they are good, then great for all.

Quote:

I just want to point to the fact that defensive players who cover the slot, aren't called slot CB's... actually its usually a position the NFL does not use in a normal formation.

Teams in the NFL runs defensive plays out of the nickel something like 70% of the time.

Quote:

Teams in the NFL runs defensive plays out of the nickel something like 70% of the time.

Who does? Who is the best known nickle in the NFL, for example?

And even if that was true, that wouldn't explain why Fitz asked to be traded because he had no fixed position on Miami, because if they were playing 70% of the snaps out of the nickle then for sure he would be in there playing nickle...

Quote:

Who does?

Oh. . .
© DawgTalkers.net