DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 01:16 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 01:18 PM

For a minute, it kinda looked like they were going to retain him and let the new guy grow into the job.. Guess not
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 01:19 PM
Tough year for veteran QBs.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 01:39 PM
Backup role as of now, probably. I think he still has some juice left. AJ Green injuries and a poor line didn't help Andy.

Good luck to him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:23 PM
or NE...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:38 PM
JAX or NE almost for sure IMO
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:40 PM
What are the Bears doing at QB? I mean, have they brought anyone in to challenge Trubiskie? Maybe Dalton could be that guy.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
What are the Bears doing at QB? I mean, have they brought anyone in to challenge Trubiskie? Maybe Dalton could be that guy.
they traded for Nick Foles
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:42 PM
I imagine they tried to trade him first? If so, no takers.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:53 PM
You would think that they would have traded him.
Posted By: woodybrownsfan Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 02:56 PM
he is a Texas boy, could see him heading to Dallas as a Backup QB. With Prescott not signing his Franchise Tag offer yet, could be his last year in Dallas.

Belicheck is stubborn, I think he will stick with Stidham and try to prove he can mode another late round QB into becoming a very good QB.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

He was owed like $18 million. No one is trading for that kind of contract. Winston just signed for $1.1 million.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

He was owed like $18 million. No one is trading for that kind of contract. Winston just signed for $1.1 million.

I see.
Posted By: FATE Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:06 PM

You would think they would have traded him last year before the trade deadline... They were winless and he was benched. Could have had decent assets in this year's draft. This year, they wait until all the veteran talent has been redistributed to see if someone wants to eat a 17.5 million contract.

Stupid is as The Bengals are as the Bengals do.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:06 PM
Sucks to be him, I guess. I will really miss beating him when we can.

If they need a backup, I undertstand that Mansiel is available per a league source. But our corner of the AFC just got tougher.

Good luck. Maybe this is the break you have wanted.
Posted By: FATE Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:09 PM
Now Belichick will scoop him up...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:12 PM
I think he will go to New England, if I were him, well who wouldn't want to go to a team that almost always makes the Super Bowl and wins it more than they lose it.

Bellichic ain't stupid!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I think he will go to New England, if I were him, well who wouldn't want to go to a team that almost always makes the Super Bowl and wins it more than they lose it.

Bellichic ain't stupid!

No doubt ... Dalton is certainly good enough to excel under Bellichic. If you think of the back ups who have looked like rock stars stepping in for Brady - Dalton is better than them and if he is not forcing it or is mentored to not make dumb throws ... he'll look better in NE than he ever did in Cinci
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 04:16 PM
Ironically Daltons 1st and last wins were vs the Browns
It's not like the Browns owned Dalton
He had a plus.500 record vs the Browns in his career
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 04:33 PM

Bellichic ain't stupid!

You really want to follow Tom Brady? That would be a tough one for most guys.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Backup role as of now, probably. I think he still has some juice left. AJ Green injuries and a poor line didn't help Andy.

Good luck to him.

I agree. I always thought Dalton a pretty decent QB playing for a bad team.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Bellichic ain't stupid!

Following Tom Brady (with Belichick as your coach) seems easier then going to the Jaguars and struggling to win four games.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Bellichic ain't stupid!

Following Tom Brady (with Belichick as your coach) seems easier then going to the Jaguars and struggling to win four games.

Agreed. At least you know you'll be in a stable environment, stable system, and you will have clearly defined expectations of what they want from you on a roster full of guys coached to just do their job.

It's the perfect situation, actually.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Bellichic ain't stupid!

Agreed. At least you know you'll be in a stable environment, stable system, and you will have clearly defined expectations of what they want from you on a roster full of guys coached to just do their job.

It's the perfect situation, actually.

Agreed 100%. One of the reasons Brady had such great success is because the Patriots have cultivated an environment conducive to winning.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 07:38 PM

IMO a good fit in NE.

I would be surprised if he doesn't land there.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Good luck to him.

You can certainly do a lot worse for your backup (or even starter) QB.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Good luck to him.

You can certainly do a lot worse for your backup (or even starter) QB.

No doubt. Sometimes QB's need to get out to bloom. Dalton could be one of those guys...Steve DeBerg comes to mind. Picked up by KC late in his career, and he lit it up for 3-4 years. I am not sure, he may have won MVP one year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 04/30/20 08:46 PM
I remember watching him play with that metal pin running through his finger. He was one tough SOB.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:46 AM
Very few QBs were tougher than Steve DeBerg. I used to marvel--and I was not alone--how he stood in the face of the rush, stood tall, and delivered the football right before getting smacked in the head or chest. Dude was fearless.

Not the most talented qb ever and certainly not the most accomplished, but damn, gotta give it up for the guts he showed on a weekly basis.

Btw........he threw a beautiful deep ball, too.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:47 AM
Like others, I think Dalton to NE is a no-brainer.

My only disclaimer is that I thought it would have happened already. Never know w/BB.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:50 AM
Would Bill Belicheck tank for Trevor Lawrence?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:53 AM
Their D, coaching, and culture are too good to earn the top pick in the draft.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 01:18 AM
Dalton is too good to be a backup, imo. Get him behind a great line and he's still a good QB.

For instance, I think Dalton would look better than Rivers in Indy, pretty good in NE, and good in Las Vegas.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 01:22 AM
Hmmmm.......I think you are right that Dalton is a better option than Rivers at this particular point in their careers. Rivers was the better qb, but Dalton is better right now.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 01:26 AM
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but all you need to see is the Chargers are moving into their new palace and they kicked the face of their franchise to the curb. I think they know he is, unfortunately, past his prime
Posted By: Jester Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 01:50 AM
Dalton is a really good Qb on most days. I would always bet against him in primetime games. I don't know if the numbers bear out but subjectively he always seemed to wither under the spotlight
Posted By: Hammer Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 02:03 AM
Jaguars.
Posted By: eotab Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:24 PM
I'm sure I dissed him on the board as that is my fan speak...as a football guy I actually was impressed by Dalton and he brought fear to me as the Bengal game was always one that we should win. For me Dalton was solid.

NE is going for the Top pick in 2021 and get the Clemson QB...so they will probably stick with the inept QB similar to the Colts in Suck for Luck!

As for a tough QB, for me it was always Dan Pastorini who was one tough QB who never had the talent especially in the OL.

jmho oh he also punted.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Jaguars.
I'm not really sure what's going on in my head right now... but I'm starting to really feel for Andy Dalton. I don't know why that is.

I really hope he doesn't go to the Jags (especially right now when they seem to be falling apart at the seams). Dude has only played for the Bengals. Let him go to a winning org and experience a season or two of winning.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 12:54 PM
Jaguars.
I'm not really sure what's going on in my head right now... but I'm starting to really feel for Andy Dalton. I don't know why that is.

I really hope he doesn't go to the Jags (especially right now when they seem to be falling apart at the seams). Dude has only played for the Bengals. Let him go to a winning org and experience a season or two of winning.

I had mentioned awhile ago (half-jokingly) that Belichick might sign Rivers and settle the "Was it Bill or was it Brady?" debate once and for all. I'd think Dalton would fit the bill for that as well.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 11:27 PM
Jaguars.

I'm pretty sure Dalton had more than a few winning seasons. They made the playoffs with him a couple times I think. Cincy dumped him for a new face. He is a good QB, no great, but good. I would say he is better than some of the starters for this coming year.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 11:43 PM
He is, and played for a pretty bad team.

I agree, he isn't a HOF guy or even a regular name for the pro-bowl, but Andy is a good QB.

Put him with a decent team and that team can win games. Put him on a good team and he isn't going to lose you games on a regular basis. You could win the Superbowl with the guy.

Phil Simms and Dilfer did.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/01/20 11:50 PM
Phil Simms is a good comparison with Dalton.

He’s also acted with class throughout his career.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/02/20 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

He did. Both are class people.

Some people you can root for, some you can't. I did and will for both of them. Well, unless it somehow impacts the Browns in a negative way.

I have rooted for the Steelers, Bengals, and Ravens. They are in my conference. I root for them unless I need them to lose to help my team. I am a SEC guy.

I root for the SEC 100% of the time in Bowl games or out of conference when in season. That just makes my Gators better is the way I see it.

I grew up a OSU fan, and still root for the Bucs, well, until they play a SEC team. Beat the best, and OSU is up there every year. Kick some butt.

SEC, SEC, SEC

Sorry, I know I am on the wrong board for this.
Posted By: FATE Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/02/20 05:19 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Dalton reminds me more and more of Jaworski. Class act, spends a significant portion of his career performing to a level where most teams would proudly hang the "franchise" label on his back... Loses a long string of playoff games (Jaws lost five wildcards in succession as well), and stewards his team back into obscurity.

I think Dalton and BB are a perfect pair because it gives them both the "hey, we tried" window of patience - with fans and the media.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/02/20 09:52 AM
Total class act. He made the most of his ability
He will make a good bridge QB or mentor to young
QB. It's funny people act like he played for
Really porous franchise.
The Bengals have made the playoffs as many times
As the Cowboys since 2010. Mel Kiper said that.
Dalton took them to playoffs 5 years in a row
In a division ruled by the Ravens and Steelers
No small accomplishment
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:08 AM

So smart.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:15 AM
Oh man, this will be interesting fodder for the Monday morning football talk shows.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:15 AM
How much are we paying Keenum?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:21 AM
How much are we paying Keenum?

Case Keenum signed a 3 year, $18,000,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $4,000,000 signing bonus, $10,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,000,000. In 2020, Keenum will earn a base salary of $1,500,000 and a signing bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,833,333 and a dead cap value of $8,000,000.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:40 AM
And Winston got 1 mil deal... smdh
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 02:24 AM
So the Bengals franchise record holder for passing yards in a season, passing touchdowns in a season, and career passing touchdowns, AND led the Bengals to five consecutive playoffs is going to back up Dak. Oooo - K.
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 04:20 AM
Well it is now Joe Burrow's team. When he was drafted, it indeed singled curtains for Mr Dalton!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 09:19 AM
I think it’s a good move by Dallas. Truth be told, Dalton probably isn’t good enough to carry a team to the title ... but he’s now probably the best backup in the NFL. And it’s for below the league average I’d say.

He’s probably not that much worse than Dak
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:16 PM
Hmmm. Might be a bit of leverage gained by the cowboys in the “I want $35 million a season” talks.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:33 PM
Dalton needed a change of scenery. The Bengals are kind of a feast or famine franchise and when it turns ugly the whole town turns on them with a venom I never understood. I work with a Bengals fan and his constant bitching about Dalton was incredible.

The Cowboys are just one injury away from having to put him on the field. I predict he'll look OK when that eventually happens. He's a bargain as a backup.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 01:35 PM
j/c:

I still can't believe NE didn't go after him. Heck, he even signed on the cheap. What does Belichick know about his qb room that we don't? LOL...........probably a lot, but it sure seems odd.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 03:07 PM
I don't think NE had the cap space to even sign Dalton to reduced figure
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 03:07 PM
We completely overpaid Case Keenum based on what Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton got paid. I understand why we signed him versus signing someone else but we gave him way too much money. Who else was trying to sign him? What was the rushing in signing him? If we let the market play out we could have signed Keenum for cheaper or have a better backup.

If Baker got hurt who would you rather have in the game, Keenum, Dalton, or Winston? I’m taking the other two before Keenum and it’s not close.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 03:10 PM
Dalton.

But, question: Had he been cut at the time we signed Keenum?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Dalton.

No. But what was the rush to sign Keenum?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 04:27 PM
We completely overpaid Case Keenum based on what Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton got paid. I understand why we signed him versus signing someone else but we gave him way too much money. Who else was trying to sign him? What was the rushing in signing him? If we let the market play out we could have signed Keenum for cheaper or have a better backup.

If Baker got hurt who would you rather have in the game, Keenum, Dalton, or Winston? I’m taking the other two before Keenum and it’s not close.

If it was a good signing at the time - it is a bit of revisionist history to wait till now to start complaining. You can only deal with the situation in real time - not with hindsight and the benefit of seeing how all the other chips fall.

Did we pay a back up very good money? Yes. Was a quality back up and mentor a high need? Yes? I wouldn't trust Winston in that role - and who new what Dalton's situation would be and if he'd have a chance to start somewhere or choose a back up role?

I have zero issue with the Keenum signing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

If it was a good signing at the time - it is a bit of revisionist history to wait till now to start complaining. You can only deal with the situation in real time - not with hindsight and the benefit of seeing how all the other chips fall.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1742768/browns-sign-qb-case-keenum#Post1742768

Good thing I didn’t like it at the time either.

I am not a huge fan of paying a backup QB $10 million guaranteed.

Originally Posted By: FATE
I am not a huge fan of paying a backup QB $10 million guaranteed.

You HAVE to hedge your bets on Mayfield this year.

I will reserve judgment till I see what Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota get to be backups.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 04:51 PM
Dalton.

Purely going off memory here.

Keenum was available. At the time, and again, my memory here, the bengals were wanting to TRADE dalton. If I'm mistaken in that, well, it is what it is. If I'm not mistaken, I just have to assume the Browns looked at qb's that would serve as back ups, and they signed what they felt was best at the time, not knowing the Bengals would cut Dalton at a later date.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 04:59 PM
Most liked it at the time - even it came at a higher price than ideal. It doesn't get better or worse based on cheap contracts this late in the off season. jmo
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 05:02 PM
Most liked it at the time - even it came at a higher price than ideal. It doesn't get better or worse based on cheap contracts this late in the off season. jmo

If you buy something for $100 and then something similar but better is available for $10, you got a bad deal.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 05:10 PM

If you buy something for $100 and then something similar but better is available for $10, you got a bad deal.

It's nice how some people have crystal balls to know that teams will release other QB's in the future when QB needy teams have already signed those on the open market. Which causes the price to go down.

Looks like you would do well in the futures market. I mean everyone who bought oil at 35 dollars a gallon were idiots because the cost went to zero only a few weeks later. You could have made a FORTUNE!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 05:11 PM

I think if the team gambled on who might / might not be available and hadn't signed a QB and delayed and delayed ... we might have gone into the season with nothing behind Baker and folks would have rightly been concerned. I'd take Dalton as a backup all day - but I really thought he'd end up going some place as a starter. Jags or NE. Winston ... as stated, I would not want to rely on or be a "mentor" for Baker.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 07:56 PM
After Ryan Finley's disastrous performances after being named the starter last year, I thought the Bengals would keep Dalton as insurance behind Burrows. Now who is the 2nd QB at Cincinnati? If Burrows goes down, the Bengals will probably be drafting 1st again next year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 08:05 PM
If Burrows goes down that would give them the perfect excuse to lose. I doubt they plan to make the playoffs with e rookie QB anyway. So between having a mediocre season with a back up QB, having a high draft pick next year may be seen as the best of those two options.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

It's nice how some people have crystal balls to know that teams will release other QB's in the future when QB needy teams have already signed those on the open market. Which causes the price to go down.

Everyone knew the QB market was going to be flooded.

Looks like you would do well in the futures market. I mean everyone who bought oil at 35 dollars a gallon were idiots because the cost went to zero only a few weeks later. You could have made a FORTUNE!

This has literally nothing to do with anything I was talking about.

The front office made a mistake in signing Case Keenum for what they did as early as they did. Everyone team makes mistakes on the free agents, let's hope we don't continue to overpay for lesser players in the future.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 08:25 PM
Dalton.

Purely going off memory here.

Keenum was available. At the time, and again, my memory here, the bengals were wanting to TRADE dalton. If I'm mistaken in that, well, it is what it is. If I'm not mistaken, I just have to assume the Browns looked at qb's that would serve as back ups, and they signed what they felt was best at the time, not knowing the Bengals would cut Dalton at a later date.

I have no problem with signing Case Keenum. I have a problem with paying him as much as we did.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I don't think NE had the cap space to even sign Dalton to reduced figure

They don't. According to overthecap.com the Patriots have $1,732,375 in cap space as of right now (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots/). I would guess they trade Joe Thuney before the season starts to gain some more cap space. I don't think they anticipated him signing his franchise tender.

I also think that Belichick wants to see what he has with Jarrett Stidham. If he stinks the Patriots can potentially draft their QB in 2021 and if he's even average they can a huge value at the position.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 08:41 PM
The last time the Bengals started a rookie QB they made the playoffs
History might repeat itself. Stranger things have happened. They say Burrow is that kind of QB
who can change a culture. I don't think he would be so happy to lose every year
One thing it seemed about Dalton....losing never really bothered him
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 08:52 PM
The only QB I've seen come out in the last decade who met that criteria is Mahomes. Sure, there have been some pretty good QB's but not to the extent you described.

Losing sure didn't seem to bother him last year. And that kind of bothers me. Neither did terrible QB play. I'm not so sure we didn't end up with the better of the two QB's at this stage of their careers.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/03/20 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
The last time the Bengals started a rookie QB they made the playoffs
History might repeat itself. Stranger things have happened. They say Burrow is that kind of QB
who can change a culture. I don't think he would be so happy to lose every year
One thing it seemed about Dalton....losing never really bothered him

He definitely did that at Ohio State. LOL
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 09:38 AM

Hmmmm, I was thinking Keenum.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 01:54 PM
Keenum has much more value to the Browns because of his familiarity with the offense that will be put in place by KS.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 02:15 PM

..when you're shopping, the thing you are buying doesn't have to pick you back.

Dalton is a Texas guy. Jameis allegedly had offers for more money elsewhere.

If you're going to be a backup, there are other factors than getting top dollar at play.

Baker's young and was pick 1-1. He's not about to retire like Brees. Dak still isn't signed long term.

In an ideal world would it have been nice to get Keenum for less? Of course. There was more competition for his services before the draft. Post draft, most of the slots were filled.

Just pretend we used our 1st round pick on a backup QB... without actually using our first round pick on a backup QB.

It'll be nice to have a competent backup if we need one for once. The Stefanski connection is also likely going to be useful in these strange times.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 03:08 PM

This is, objectively, the wrong answer.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 04:12 PM
Keenum has much more value to the Browns because of his familiarity with the offense that will be put in place by KS.

that only lasts about a month or two. after that, everyone is pretty much on the same page.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 04:25 PM
Having someone who can help teach that system to others is a great weapon to have. The NFLPA contract limits the time coaches can work with players. It does not limit the time players can work together. This has been a tactic used around the league for quite a while now.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 04:31 PM

I am thinking that is a subjective reply, and we agree on many issues
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 04:36 PM
Just on the surface, complaining about how much we paid Keenum is kinda silly, imo.

When you go out to the store and buy something, and then that thing goes on sale a couple months later, is your buy a bad one? IMO, no. That's the way I see this, at least.

Winston going for bottom-dollar is shocking. I doubt anyone would have seen that coming. I'm also shocked he's not going somewhere to be the starter. Dalton, I'm not so surprised about. I also thought the Bengals were talking about keeping Dalton to help groom Burrow.

Then there's the proven experience (his big year in Stefanski's offense). He's proven he can ball when needed, but not to the extent where there's a QB controversy (which I think would happen if Winston came here). And lastly, there's familiarity with Stefanski's offense. This (along with the familiarity between him and KS) makes it a no-brainer.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 04:37 PM
I don’t mind having Keenum on the team. I mind paying him the amount we paid him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 04:46 PM
I can understand that. While it turned out that we did overpay, I just don't think it's fair criticism. If they decided to go cheap and wait out the market then people would be on their butts for not getting a quality backup for Mayfield (this is the assumption that neither Winston or Dalton would've wanted to come here).
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 05:08 PM
I can understand that. While it turned out that we did overpay, I just don't think it's fair criticism. If they decided to go cheap and wait out the market then people would be on their butts for not getting a quality backup for Mayfield (this is the assumption that neither Winston or Dalton would've wanted to come here).

Sort of my take - though I think we overpaid, I think it was considered a big enough area of need that we took that step early to be sure that we were covered. If we wait and try to pick up a good veteran who is a victim of the QB shuffle, there is great risk. Did we overpay to be sure that Keenum was a Brown at the time of the signing? Yes. Did the "market" for decent Veteran QB's tank due to cuts and the QB shuffle? Yes. But I don't judge the deal based on May 2020 info, got to judge it on March 24th when he signed the deal. 3 years $18 million. That's ok. I'd probably rather have Dalton, would not rather have Winston.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 05:32 PM

I am thinking that is a subjective reply, and we agree on many issues

That was actually a “these guys can do no wrong reply” .... Case is little more than a career backup with 1/2 a good season under his belt with a whole lot of crap surrounding it ...

The ONLY thing Case brings is his familiarity with Kev ... I didn’t say Kev’s O cause Kev was at best his qb coach ...

I am glad we have case and am not hung up on what were paying him but to say you’d objectively choose him over Andy is a joke on a good day ... the only parallel in there careers is there both back ups now ... thumbsup
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 06:54 PM
Having someone who can help teach that system to others is a great weapon to have. The NFLPA contract limits the time coaches can work with players. It does not limit the time players can work together. This has been a tactic used around the league for quite a while now.

Yeah, I agree. Except... all of their playbooks are on tablets now and supposedly are interactive. so it's not like it used to be where it was just a sheeet of paper. Now, they are animated. So, as a QB, this should be much easier for them.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 07:08 PM

Just curious ... when did Case play in Kev’s system? .. love to know that ...

Me thinks some of u are confusing Case playing on a team Kev coached on with case playing on a team that ran Kev’s system ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 07:54 PM
I actually think the case I'm making should have been more about familiarity than the actual system. What Stefanski knows is how quickly and easily Keenum can learn and process information. He knows him well enough to understand if he has the ability and leadership qualities to teach a much younger QB.

I'm not going to venture a guess as to whether Dalton or some of the other QB's fit that mold or not. But the fact is, with Stefanski not having worked with any of them, he had no way of knowing that either.

I think he took what he saw as the safe bet. Someone he knew could learn quickly. Who has the leadership qualities to play the mentor role. And we also have no way of knowing how closely the system he plans to implement is with the system that was being run when he was coaching Keenum.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 08:35 PM
U may think u were making a case about familiarity but the post I responded to started with this”

Having someone who can help teach that system to others is a great weapon to have.

That has zero to with Kev’’s familiarity with Case but ACTUALLY SAYS Case can help teach Kev’’s system and thats a big advantage over dalton when its simply not true ...

U ACTUALLY think Kev ran something similar to Depo’s system .... rofl ... Zimmerman fired Depo and his pass pass pass O and last year Minni ran the crap out of the ball ... they very well may have gone from a bottom 5 run team as far as attempts in 18 to a top 5 team in 19 ..

Work on that math bro .... thumbsup
Posted By: Hammer Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 08:49 PM
Stefanski's offense is based off of Kubiak's system.

Keenum played for Kubiak's Houston teams between 2012 and 2013.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 08:52 PM
What Hammer said Bud. To do a math problem correctly you need to include all of the variables. wink

You're welcome and the lesson is free.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 08:57 PM

This post is giving me flashbacks to right after we hired Freddie, and the conversations of how the offense was going to look.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/04/20 10:19 PM

So was that 4 or 5 systems ago since Case played in the system that the dude that Kev based his O on in? ... thank god for Case that Kubiak’s O hasn’t evolved much since then ... naughtydevil ...
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/07/20 01:50 PM
Don't forget "Kev" was his QB coach in 2017 when he went 11-3.

Between Keenum, Dalton and Winston, not all things are equal.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/07/20 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Right. Two of them are way more talented than the other and get paid a lot less.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Dalton Out In Cincy - 05/07/20 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Right. Two of them are way more talented than the other and get paid a lot less.

Two of them are biding their time before looking for another shot to start...one knows his place here AND knows the HC and his system...and could reasonably be here for a very long time.
© DawgTalkers.net