Legend
C

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I am not a huge fan of paying a backup QB $10 million guaranteed.

Legend
Legend
That's kinda surprising, not surprising.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Wow.

Dudes are flat-out killing it today!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
WHOA

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
and there's our decent backup QB .. sign a decent middle LB and it's on to the draft ... thumbsup

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Cool, that’s probably the best backup you can get.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

You HAVE to hedge your bets on Mayfield this year.

Legend
Legend
Well, i think we got our top 3 targets

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE

I will reserve judgment till I see what Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota get to be backups.

R
Legend
Legend
R

I don't think it's just that. If Mayfield gets hurt we don't have to pack in the season.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

He's a starting Quality backup QB .. If Baker thinks he knows it all and won't accept coaching, Keenum can be a starter.

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
he will push Baker... and help out Baker. Thats what Baker was missing last year. No Tyrod Taylor and no true QB Coach. Now he has both. no excuses. If Baker gets hurt, or really struggles, Stefanski knows he has Keenum to fill the void.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I don't think it's just that. If Mayfield gets hurt we don't have to pack in the season.

Yes, that too. I kinda skipped right over the obvious lol.

D
Legend
Legend
D

I will reserve judgment till I see what Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota get to be backups.

Witch one of them has experience in Kev’’s system ...

Winston ... rofl .... at least Marcus isn’t a pick machine ... thumbsup

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Witch one of them has experience in Kev’’s system ...

Winston ... rofl .... at least Marcus isn’t a pick machine ... thumbsup

As backups I'd take both over Keenum. I'll be interested to see their contracts.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, if Baker shows up fat and more interested in his commercials than winning games, we have new QB who has thrived in a system he knows......competition, love it....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
I like this... if Bake goes down.. we still have a chance. i like it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Only way there comparable is if they go to a team with a bonafide starter .... Case was brought in 100% as a back up ... those two may very well end up on teams like the raiders or bears or one of the other many teams looking to “push” there starting QB ...

It depends on where they end up to me ... they may not be the true back up Case is ...

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I do like the idea of having an adult in the QB room (along with SVP). I think Baker, Lindley, Stanton, and Gilbert basically had a frat house last year.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, it seemed like there wasn’t much coaching and accountability

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Only way there comparable is if they go to a team with a bonafide starter .... Case was brought in 100% as a back up ... those two may very well end up on teams like the raiders or bears or one of the other many teams looking to “push” there starting QB ...

I would argue that if you pay a backup $10 million guaranteed then he is being brought in to push the starter.

R
Legend
Legend
R

I would argue that if you pay a backup $10 million guaranteed then he is being brought in to push the starter.

Worst case scenario...they have not liked what they've seen or heard from Baker this offseason.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Worst case scenario...they have not liked what they've seen or heard from Baker this offseason.

3 years .. 18 million .. 10 mil guaranteed .. That averages out to 6 mil per year. That is a good ( reasonable ) salary for an NFL Quarterback with good starting experience, as well as experience in the system being used.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Good signing. Knows Stefanski’s offense.

Can win you a game if needed.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H

Doubt it. Keenum is a plug n play backup.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I like this move. I don't know about the "value," but Keenum is a quality qb and had success as a starter w/the Vikings.

I was not happy w/Dorsey's backups last year. Case is huge upgrade!

It will be interesting to see how Baker handles this. He didn't seem to get along w/Taylor. It was like he expected to be handed the starters job. He did get along w/Drew, who he was ahead of.

The Baker/Keenum relationship is one to watch closely. I'm not making any predictions right now, but it's going to be interesting.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree - huge upgrade over last year's back ups.

Don't think there can be any doubt - at $6 million per year - that is back up money. I don't think this puts any additional pressure on Baker .... if Baker doesn't play a lot better than last year he doesn't deserve to be a starting QB.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I remember Chase Daniels making $7 mill a year at Philadelphia a couple of years ago. So this isn't so bad.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Argue it all u want ...

Case STUNK the last two years when starting and has some glaring holes in his game ... GREAT BACK UP especially here but if we brought him in to push Bake these guys are either dumb as rocks or were $crewed cause Bake stinks if he isn’t better than the 3/4’s of a year wonder known as Case ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I like this move. I don't know about the "value," but Keenum is a quality qb and had success as a starter w/the Vikings.

I was not happy w/Dorsey's backups last year. Case is huge upgrade!

It will be interesting to see how Baker handles this. He didn't seem to get along w/Taylor. It was like he expected to be handed the starters job. He did get along w/Drew, who he was ahead of.

The Baker/Keenum relationship is one to watch closely. I'm not making any predictions right now, but it's going to be interesting.

It will be.

I think it is clear Baker is the #1 guy, but Case is a good QB. Bake can't add another 10 lbs, especially since Case and Stefanski have a relationship.

I think it is perfect. We got a guy who doesn't spell QB controversy, but should ignite a spark in our starter.

A perfect signing. If Baker slugs around, I have no problem with Keenum. He isn't here to simply be a mentor. He is here to win some games if he plays.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Love Baker but I like this move, I don't think it will cause Baker to look over his shoulder but it will make for more competitiveness thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P

There's a reason for that. As of now we don't have any idea which Baker we will get. Will we get the rookie, 2018 Baker? Or will we get the second year, 2019 Baker?

I know that will set some peoples hair on fire and excuses will get made for his play. But people have no excuse why he was less accurate.

I'm hoping we get rookie Baker and things go smoothly. But having a solid plan B is what a smart FO should do in our situation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't care about the money. He is a viable #2 QB

We still need to sign a Saftey and LBer.

Good start though.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

There's a reason for that. As of now we don't have any idea which Baker we will get. Will we get the rookie, 2018 Baker? Or will we get the second year, 2019 Baker?

I know that will set some peoples hair on fire and excuses will get made for his play. But people have no excuse why he was less accurate.

I'm hoping we get rookie Baker and things go smoothly. But having a solid plan B is what a smart FO should do in our situation.

Also, Baker is still on his rookie deal. Makes it a little easier to dish out for Keenum.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keenum and Baker can talk football during the offseason. Baker and the coaches can't. I'm guessing getting a jumpstart on the offense is part of the reason we signed him, along with him being a capable player. Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much of the offense is changing from the time Case and Stefanski were Minnesota. We do get the early camp with the change in staffs, so they should be able to get up to speed then.

That or we're trading Baker to the Patriots for Thuney and picks.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Very solid signing.
Higher-end backup, & like others said, a guy who can win games in a pinch.

I believe Baker will be working his tail off this off-season. He damn well better be.

After the season, he talked about how disappointed he was in his play. Baker needs to follow that up with some hard work.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Excellent!!

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Solid signing... case is a solid qb and great guy... knowing the offense already is huge help for baker

<><

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Not as great as a leading QB but a journeyman that could help your Baker develop.

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign QB Case Keenum

Link Copied to Clipboard