DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Baker Mayfield - 05/02/18 04:25 PM
Quote:
#1 pick Baker Mayfield will be signing a fully GTD 4-year, $32,682,980 deal, which includes a $21,849,440 signing bonus. A look at 2018 1st round contracts & issues relating to the deals via @CBSSports.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/991708714770968577
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:31 PM
That will be great. Getting him signed right away will get the business end sewed up so there will be nothing to concentrate on but football.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:33 PM
I hate it when these guys hold out like this.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That will be great. Getting him signed right away will get the business end sewed up so there will be nothing to concentrate on but football.

My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:37 PM
Sounds like he really wants to get started and play football. Good sign!!!
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:47 PM
What a show off!
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:49 PM
Such a refreshing change of pace from 10+ years ago. That was such an awful process (holding out for weeks or months).
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:57 PM
If this was April 1st..well you know what I would of thought..

Great news thumbsup
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I hate it when these guys hold out like this.

I know right? It took a whole week for him to sign? A whole week!

Kellen Winslow was signed 10 times faster than this guy...

Kids these days..
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

Great news thumbsup

Nobody seemed to appreciate my April 1st "Giants Trade Odell Beckham Jr. To Browns Post". rolleyesdevil

I also got banned for 48 hours, lol.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 05:10 PM
What took so long brownie
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

Great news thumbsup

Nobody seemed to appreciate my April 1st "Giants Trade Odell Beckham Jr. To Browns Post". rolleyesdevil

Oh I did and used it ! Thanks!
living in NYC and texting my friend in California made it work perfectly.
Posted By: 442Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 05:29 PM
We gotta get this guy!
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Such a refreshing change of pace from 10+ years ago. That was such an awful process (holding out for weeks or months).

Lets just hope that the new CBA (whenever it is negotiated) keeps the system they created with the current CBA.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Lets just hope that the new CBA (whenever it is negotiated) keeps the system they created with the current CBA.

Agreed. Or maybe even a better option would have salaries already slotted based on draft position, like in the NBA. I know there tends to be ranges of these rookie contract terms but why not have something more concrete? It could be security for the player and safety (cap-wise) for the teams.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 06:23 PM
Love having the slotted pay. To be honest, I never even THOUGHT about "what if he misses time while negotiating a contract?"

10 years ago that would have been my FIRST thought
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 07:11 PM

Great news thumbsup

We got Beckham?!?
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 07:11 PM
wink
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 07:51 PM
j/c:

Quote:
Saquon Barkley will be the 4th highest paid RB for the 2018 season.

Baker Mayfield will be the 25th highest paid QB for the 2018 season.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/991752259183763456
Posted By: BpG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 08:18 PM
Why even have the delete feature if it doesn't work?
Posted By: BpG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Quote:
Saquon Barkley will be the 4th highest paid RB for the 2018 season.

Baker Mayfield will be the 25th highest paid QB for the 2018 season.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/991752259183763456

2nd highest guaranteed money for a RB all time.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
I read he is the 25th highest paid QB and Saquon is the 4th highest paid running back right now and the 2nd highest guaranteed money RB all time.

We'll see. If I was the Giants I would have selected Chubb or a QB.

Eli could retire at any time, having a QB in the wings is worth every penny. And finding them won't get any easier. Teams like the Saints, Patriots, Chargers, maybe the Steelers, Jaguars, maybe the Redskins, maybe the Broncos and others will be looking for QBs next year.

That's why I'm happy we got ours. The one we see as the cream of the crop.

If you don't have a QB, you're just treading water. I'm pretty confident that Baker will do us just fine
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 08:26 PM

Great news thumbsup

You got a timeout for starting an April Fools joke thread? Booooooo!!!!!! tongue
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 10:22 PM
Yeah - so he signed, big deal. What the haters want to know is if he grabbed his crotch or got too excited and didn't act with decorum.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Yeah - so he signed, big deal. What the haters want to know is if he grabbed his crotch or got too excited and didn't act with decorum.

He planted his pen into the paper with way too much zeal.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 10:43 PM
Great news
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 10:52 PM

You mean .. Did he get emotional.. did he high five his agent.. did he say "We are going to wreck this league" .. did he go to Vegas and float on a plastic swan while drinking champagne..

Enquireing minds want to know ...

rofl
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 10:54 PM
It starts from the top down.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 10:56 PM

Grow up. It’s not hating to question what’s being questioned.
Hey how about answer this honestly.
Your son is playing football and grabs his crotch and flips off the opponent. Let me guess. You highfive him in the parking lot after the game?
No excuses of “Baker’s not my son.” Don’t dodge it. Answer me honestly. How do you react to such behavior from your own child?
Posted By: Hammer Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:04 PM
If my son is 22, you know an adult, I do nothing.

If he is 13 or 14, I have a little talk with him.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:05 PM
I've always taught don't take anyone's crap. Treat them with respect until they give you a reason to treat them otherwise. In Mayfield's case, the Kansas players were clearly trying to get in his head. It kinda backfired on them. Paybacks are a pain ...

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Your son is playing football and grabs his crotch and flips off the opponent. Let me guess. You highfive him in the parking lot after the game?
No excuses of “Baker’s not my son.” Don’t dodge it. Answer me honestly. How do you react to such behavior from your own child?

Are you a prude or something? You are one of maybe 1000 people in the country who care about this.

If you don't like him, tell me why based on his game and ability, not some stupid gesture in an emotion filled game.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Are you a prude or something? You are one of maybe 1000 people in the country who care about this.

If you don't like him, tell me why based on his game and ability, not some stupid gesture in an emotion filled game.

I thought I made it clear. I don’t like cocky players. I didn’t like Dion. I didn’t like TO. I don’t like excessive TD celebrations where guys gather around a ‘fire’ or other such rediculous stuff. I like my team to act professional. To do their jobs. If Jerry Rice didn’t feel the need to act like a child on a sugar rush when he scored then... just do your job. Dominate. Let that speak for itself.
If my 23 year old son grabbed his crotch I’d have a pretty direct conversation about how to conduct himself. How he should represent his family. How crap that is a reflection of not just him, but me (his dad), his grandfather and on. How he should be embarrassed of his actions. And I’d ask, and expect he’d not do it again. It’s called being a dad and passing on lessons on sportsmanship and being a grown man. But I guess I’m old school...and a prude?
If that makes me a prude in you’re eyes you’re incredibly weird on what you consider prudish.
I go to Burning Man. I leave it there as testament to my non-prudeness in the proper sense.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

I’m with U ... we’d have the talk about 3 minutes after he did it in the parking lot but we’d have a talk all right ... wink ...

Trying to compare a 23 year old going into the nfl with a child playing 7th and 8th grade football ..... BDS at its best ... naughtydevil ...
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
I've always taught don't take anyone's crap. Treat them with respect until they give you a reason to treat them otherwise. In Mayfield's case, the Kansas players were clearly trying to get in his head. It kinda backfired on them. Paybacks are a pain ...

Oklahoma hasn’t lost to the powerhouse Jayhawks since 1999. So Baker didn’t do anything too much different than what was being done the 15 or so seasons since he showed up on campus.
As I’ve said, he ain’t in Kansas anymore.
You think Burfict isn’t going to get into his head?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I’m with U ... we’d have the talk about 3 minutes after he did it in the parking lot but we’d have a talk all right ... wink ...

Trying to compare a 23 year old going into the nfl with a child playing 7th and 8th grade football ..... BDS at its best ... naughtydevil ...

You accept it and excuse this type of behavior in a president. So no shock you’d accept in an a young adult child of yours.
I’m done here with you.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/02/18 11:50 PM
I don't read everything.

Ok, you don't like Deion and TO and players like that.

I suppose I don't either in some ways, but in the case of sports, I don't care.

I laugh when they can't back it up like the "Boz", but when they can like Muhammad Ali, I love it.

With Mayfield, I don't even see what you seem to see. He grabbed his crotch for a instant in a game against Kansas where Kansas refused to shake hands before the game.

I understood his shove it in their face attitude.
Posted By: hitt Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:56 AM
What percentage of the population has been sighted for public drunkenness and gets tackled by the police....yes, boys will be boys and he's sorry......he's the face of our franchise and I don't have to like it......AND that's a VALID reason.....GO Browns!!!!
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 03:08 AM
I don’t ever have to like him or his personality. I’m not big on Aaron Rogers’ or Philip Rivers’ personalities. They’ve at least won at the NFL level.
If Baker wins I can continue to not like his personality and still be a fan of the team. If he grows up and doesn’t do childish things on or off the field it’s all good. If he does childish things on the field and draws flags, I’ll ride him. If he does childish things off the field that makes the Browns look foolish, I’ll ride him.
In the mean time I just want him to win.
If he can’t do that then it sets the team back.
Honestly it’s the last thing I want to see happen. I’m tired of a losing team.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 03:09 AM
I have not yet seen him as having signed.

I think that was his slotted seal.
Posted By: Wyo1975 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 03:11 AM
I can list a lot of names of high school boys and college age boys that were drinking on Friday and Saturday nights that ran from the cops because it happens. Why? Because we were kids in school being kids in school. I am not entirely sure what rocks most of the people have lived under but either you are lying to yourselves and others about the things you did in high school and college or you are just perfect people. I highly doubt the latter.

I bet if we put you under a microscope you have done things in the heat of the moment you wouldn't be proud of either. The difference being you never got caught nor caught for all the world to witness. I learned long ago NOONE is pure and innocent no matter how much they try to hide there are always skeletons and secrets to every man. So please stop with all the holier than thou. At least warn people so they can put their boots on.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 03:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Wyo1975
I can list a lot of names of high school boys and college age boys that were drinking on Friday and Saturday nights that ran from the cops because it happens. Why? Because we were kids in school being kids in school. I am not entirely sure what rocks most of the people have lived under but either you are lying to yourselves and others about the things you did in high school and college or you are just perfect people. I highly doubt the latter.

I bet if we put you under a microscope you have done things in the heat of the moment you wouldn't be proud of either. The difference being you never got caught nor caught for all the world to witness. I learned long ago NOONE is pure and innocent no matter how much they try to hide there are always skeletons and secrets to every man. So please stop with all the holier than thou. At least warn people so they can put their boots on.

Yes I’ve done dumb stuff as a youth. Who hasn’t?
I’m not the face of a franchise. I’m not being asked to lead men.
I’m not the one under the microscope in the big picture...the press, living up to draft status, etc. Baker is.

I’ve never run from the cops.

I’ve never seen a group of people want and try so badly to get me, or anyone, to like someone. It’s getting weird.
I’m not a fan of Baker, the personality.
I’m willing to be a fan of Baker, the player, if he wins.
Can y’all just accept that? I have.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 04:20 AM
So basically you're saying Baker Mayfield isn't invited to your birthday party.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 07:12 AM
This marks the beginning of the Mayfield era in Cleveland. I hope it is long and full of championships.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 09:13 AM
No problem. I now understand your position. You don't have to like him just like I don't have to care about things I consider stupid things.

We do agree we need to win some games.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 11:35 AM
Wait we drafted a guy that's not going to be a 1st day starter AND we are paying him 8 million per year. Crap fire the front office bunch of damn bums
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Wait we drafted a guy that's not going to be a 1st day starter AND we are paying him 8 million per year. Crap fire the front office bunch of damn bums

Check your glasses GM, that's blue not purple.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 11:39 AM
No problem. I now understand your position. You don't have to like him just like I don't have to care about things I consider stupid things.

We do agree we need to win some games.

I said sometime in the fall that I wouldn't spend another dime on anything Browns until they start winning. So far I haven't.

I want a Mayfield jersey as soon as he starts winning. smile But he has to win two in a row first.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

My glasses are just fine. It's my eyes that suck.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 12:36 PM
Quote:

I’ve never seen a group of people want and try so badly to get me, or anyone, to like someone. It’s getting weird.
I’m not a fan of Baker, the personality.
I’m willing to be a fan of Baker, the player, if he wins.
Can y’all just accept that? I have.

No one is trying to get you to like anyone. No one really cares, but it's the fact you claim you know him and his personality that really stirs people around here. I think it's the false narrative people have grown tired of... You don't know Baker or his personality, but you think you do based on a handful of events and you're using that as a basis for not liking his personality...

Saying you don't like cocky players probably eliminates liking a lot of NFL players for you.

And maybe you've met Baker and if so I'd apologize, but I'm guessing you haven't.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 12:41 PM
I don’t like his crotch grabbing. His finger flipping. His running around on the field swinging his arms like a child on a sugar rush. His throwing the ball at at opposing players face. His yelling profanity at opponents. His running from the cops. His self promotion docu-series ‘Behind Baker’ is a joke until he wins.

I don’t have to have met him to know what I don’t like about him.
Many here don’t like Hue, Haslem, Sashi....never met them.

I’ve never met the president...
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 01:07 PM
Sweet,, didn't see that coming so fast
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 01:20 PM
Immaturity issues are a concern but it's not a major concern, not like he is out robbing liquor stores.

He plays with a chip on his shoulder. The great ones do.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

My glasses are just fine. It's my eyes that suck.

Right there with ya!
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:28 PM
Quote:
If Jerry Rice didn’t feel the need to act like a child on a sugar rush when he scored then... just do your job.
So Jerry Rice sets what standard every living being on earth needs to act like? WE live in a free society.

Quote:
If my 23 year old son grabbed his crotch I’d have a pretty direct conversation about how to conduct himself
How do you do you know this didn't happen? Did he do it again afterwards?

Quote:
It’s called being a dad and passing on lessons on sportsmanship and being a grown man. But I guess I’m old school...and a prude?
once again, you are judging someone on something you have no idea about. You have no idea what was said to him. And as a parent, you may voice your displeasure, however you need to understand that he his actions are his actions now, as he is an adult.

Lets see, the kids a millionaire now, has one of the strongest work ethics of ANY football player I have ever seen and has overcome at every level so far he has ever played at. I would reckon his parents are quite proud actually. Regardless of you judgments about them.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:38 PM
I also find it funny you made 1 post in the Callaway thread - yet several here.

You stated (paraphrasing) "all that matters is a player balls out, then he will be loved"

I would go on record and say credit card fraud, drugs, and sexual assault accusations are a little on the list of concern that crotch grabbing. Yet you are acting like Bakers actions were the worst thing to ever happen on earth. . . .
Posted By: BpG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

You stated (paraphrasing) "all that matters is a player balls out, then he will be loved"

I would go on record and say credit card fraud, drugs, and sexual assault accusations are a little on the list of concern that crotch grabbing. Yet you are acting like Bakers actions were the worst thing to ever happen on earth. . . .

....!

OSU fans for being mad Florida beat them in a a few sports.

Anything Florida is no good.

Okay Braylon. Lol (different school, same rediculous premise)

We all (mostly all) loved Haden. At least until he started getting hurt. Just ball out and you’ll be loved. I think a player’s school comes way way down on most people’s list of why not to like a player.

superconfused
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:41 PM
Did his dad talk to him after the cop incident? Then again the finger? Then again the crotch grab?... I don’t know. If so, Baker must not listen to his dad. OR... or he’s unable to control his emotions once the juices start flowing. That is my concern.

Look. We all have different traits we like in our friends, families, celebrities, etc.
You like what you like. I’ll do the same.
To each their own.
The behavior and actions, to this point, has shown me enough to not care much for him.

If he wins...I’ll have to live with it. I’m okay with that. I won’t ever like it. But I can live with it.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:49 PM
Did his dad talk anti him after the cop incident? Then again the finger? Then again the crotch grab?... I don’t know. If so, Baker must not listen to his dad. OR... or he’s unable to control his emotions once the juices start flowing. That is my concern.

Look. We all have different traits we like in our friends, families, celebrities, etc.
To each their own.
The behavior and actions, to this point, has shown me enough to not care much for him.

If he wins...I’ll have to live with it. I’m okay with that. I won’t ever like it. But I can live with it.
I don't think anyone cares if you like him or not. But to bash him as a player - saying because he grabbed his crotch he doesn't deserve to be the number 1 pick I just, well - not the best look.

Im not trying to be jerk toward you, or make you like someone. I don't know the kid either - Im tyring to help you out. Your saying hes not a good pick cause he grabbed his crotch, your saying hes not a good pick cause YOU don't like his attitude, your saying hes not a good pick, for anything that has NOTHING to do with football.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 02:55 PM
I have no idea what kind of a player he’s going to be on the pro level. No one really does.
My hope, he’s good.

I’d have preferred a more even keeled QB lead the team. I’d have preferred a bigger bodied guy on the field. I’d have preferred someone a few years younger.
It’s all moot now.
Baker is the QB.
I hope he’s good.

I don’t have to care for him personally to root for him to win.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 04:17 PM
It's become the narrative in our society. Don't hold people accountable for their actions. Make excuses for bad behavior. Turn the tables on those asking such legitimate questions. Blame those asking the questions. It's a sad state of affairs.

There are no reasonable excuses. We can only hope it isn't an issue going forward.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 05:02 PM
Quote:
I’d have preferred someone a few years younger.

Why? What is your reasoning? I don't care how old my quarterback is. The younger ones like Kizer need time, Baker will not. We could start him week 1 if we wanted. There are several quarterbacks playing in their mid 30s. Baker is 23, that's at least 10 years and probably 15... now we're getting picky by 2 years? The age thing never made much sense to me....
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 05:02 PM
j/c

Not to derail this thread and talk about Mayfield and his contract, but I cannot find any evidence that he signed the contract. I've checked a couple trackers.

This thread title makes it sound as though he signed it, but I cannot find evidence of him doing so.

And, to the Mayfield fan-bois, I am not saying anything negative about him. Just asking a question.

If the intent to say they he *will* sign a contract ... no kidding. Who was the last NFL draftee that did not sign a contract? The dude that Botch Davis picked who was actually in jail at the time?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

This thread title makes it sound as though he signed it, but I cannot find evidence of him doing so.

Correct.
He has not signed, yet.

The thread title is erroneous. The referenced tweet only states the value of the deal he will eventually be signing.. and even so, that is likely just speculation, at best.

Values are slotted, but specifics are not.
Posted By: BpG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 05:34 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Correct.
He has not signed, yet.

The thread title is erroneous. The referenced tweet only states the value of the deal he will eventually be signing.. and even so, that is likely just speculation, at best.

Values are slotted, but specifics are not.

Yes it is erroneous. I started it and interpreted the tweet incorrectly. Feel free to delete it.
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 06:48 PM
This would worry me a teeny bit if there was ONE PERSON. IN FOOTBALL, IN THE ANALYST CHAIR, that also thinks this is a PROBLEM.

I've been seeing tapes of guys talking about our pick and NOT ONE, had this remotely as an issue. OK you don't like Aaron Rodger or Philip Rivers. I am sorry that you have been West Coasted and lost your roots from Ohio. Yep, lets not even keep score cause it might upset somebody...lol laugh

I do feel a little less insulted when you include Mayfield with Rodgers and Rivers. ok so its not a Mayfield problem its a Portland problem.

One question, how long till you let it go? Cause he's not the jerk you think he is. Learn more about him as a person.

For crying out loud.
Hue, Highsmith...all fell in love with this guy WHEN THEY FOUND OUT WHAT KIND OF PERSON HE IS! Doesn't that say anything to you. That your, He's a punk evaluation just might be wrong?

That the Media editing of him is what you are reacting on not the man.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...aunting-apology

Take a look at this. Shows the handshake, shows the taunting to KU fans.

But what is never noted except from me several times. What spurned on the crotch grabbing was the 3rd film in the group.
The cheap shot...he didn't come out, he just drove the ball the next few times for TDs and when the nail was in the coffin he grabbed his crotch.

You tell me what is disgusting. Trying to hurt somebody and take them OUT. Total cheap shot. Or continue playing football within the rules and beat you like a snare drum then grab your crotch as in - SO THERE! TRY TO INJURE ME AGAIN!!!

you tell me.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
This would worry me a teeny bit if there was ONE PERSON. IN FOOTBALL, IN THE ANALYST CHAIR, that also thinks this is a PROBLEM.

I've been seeing tapes of guys talking about our pick and NOT ONE, had this remotely as an issue. OK you don't like Aaron Rodger or Philip Rivers. I am sorry that you have been West Coasted and lost your roots from Ohio. Yep, lets not even keep score cause it might upset somebody...lol laugh

I do feel a little less insulted when you include Mayfield with Rodgers and Rivers. ok so its not a Mayfield problem its a Portland problem.

One question, how long till you let it go? Cause he's not the jerk you think he is. Learn more about him as a person.

For crying out loud.
Hue, Highsmith...all fell in love with this guy WHEN THEY FOUND OUT WHAT KIND OF PERSON HE IS! Doesn't that say anything to you. That your, He's a punk evaluation just might be wrong?

That the Media editing of him is what you are reacting on not the man.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...aunting-apology

Take a look at this. Shows the handshake, shows the taunting to KU fans.

But what is never noted except from me several times. What spurned on the crotch grabbing was the 3rd film in the group.
The cheap shot...he didn't come out, he just drove the ball the next few times for TDs and when the nail was in the coffin he grabbed his crotch.

You tell me what is disgusting. Trying to hurt somebody and take them OUT. Total cheap shot. Or continue playing football within the rules and beat you like a snare drum then grab your crotch as in - SO THERE! TRY TO INJURE ME AGAIN!!!

you tell me.

Really eo? I’ve lost my roots?
No, quite the opposite I’d say. I was raised in Ohio. In the Midwest. In a small town. With small town values. My parents raised me to respect others. To display sportsmanship. To rise above petty garbage such as ‘missed handshakes’. To act like a man now that I’m a man.
I don’t care if the opposing team spit in his face at the coin flip. Then proceeded to tell him ‘mom jokes’ the entire game. I don’t care if he felt disrespected. He was on the field of play. His job is to compose himself and display sportsmanship. Let your domination over your opponent speak for you. Not some childish crotch grab.
We’re never going to see eye to eye on this. I can see it’s never going to happen.
Here’s the beauty. You and I never have to see eye to eye on a player. If the player wins we can both cheer.
I don’t ever have to like him to root for him. See how that works.
When Baker gets on the field and wins, I’ll ‘give him a chance’. Right now he’s just another guy until he proves his worth. A guy that I’m not overly fond of as a personality. I never called him a jerk or punk. You put those words in my mouth. I just don’t like his style. His persona. His lack of emotional self control. Will I ever turn the corner on him? Sure if he grows up and acts as such on the field. Do I ever have to turn the corner on him? No, I can be a Browns fan and root for Baker to win and never be a fan of his.
See, I think Ben is a despicable human. If I were a Steelers fan I’d not be a fan of Ben, the person. I’d still be spending my Sunday's rooting for the team to win.
I think Cutler is a pouty jerk. I don’t like his personality. If he were a Brown I’d root for the team to win.
See the difference?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 07:46 PM

Calloway was a forth round flyer on talent with a rap sheet. Not the #1 overall. He’s not being asked to carry the franchise. He’ll come cheap and expendable if he screws up. I find his behavior more problematic than Baker’s for sure. His actions have the possibility of bringing others down around him. (ie getting Gordon in trouble again.) Baker’s personality will just draw flags.
I never said anything about Baker’s actions being ‘the worst thing on the earth’. I just don’t like his personality type.
And yes, if Calloway balls out, his play will be loved. If Baker balls out, his play will be loved.
Doesn’t mean I have to care for Calloway or Baker as a person or personality.
That’s where I think you all are misconstrued.
If Baker wins I’ll be cheering for my Browns. I can be a Browns fan without ever fully liking all the personalities of the players on the team.
Just win.
Posted By: kwhip Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 09:51 PM

Calloway was a forth round flyer on talent with a rap sheet. Not the #1 overall. He’s not being asked to carry the franchise. He’ll come cheap and expendable if he screws up. I find his behavior more problematic than Baker’s for sure. His actions have the possibility of bringing others down around him. (ie getting Gordon in trouble again.) Baker’s personality will just draw flags.
I never said anything about Baker’s actions being ‘the worst thing on the earth’. I just don’t like his personality type.
And yes, if Calloway balls out, his play will be loved. If Baker balls out, his play will be loved.
Doesn’t mean I have to care for Calloway or Baker as a person or personality.
That’s where I think you all are misconstrued.
If Baker wins I’ll be cheering for my Browns. I can be a Browns fan without ever fully liking all the personalities of the players on the team.
Just win.

Dude. We GET IT. You don't like the antics. WE HEAR YOU.

It's been OLD for over a WEEK NOW.

Maybe talk to your kids or a therapist. My God. You RUINED Our New QB threads. Jezzuuzz,
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 10:00 PM
You guys keep coming at me.
I’m just laying out my reasoning in each response.
I’ve multiple times throughout the thread stated, “we can agree to disagree”. Yet more people come at me like my concerns are from absolute left field.

Fine. Enough.
Don’t come at me like I’m the bad guy. I’ll have no reason to chime back in.

Let’s all agree to disagree.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 10:18 PM
Of course any father of a kid playing sports is going to try to instill class and pull him (or her) aside if he's a jackwad.

As others said - I totally get the emotions running high when the other team refuses to shake your hand. I don't have a big issue or problem with that incident and find it eminently forgivable.

I can't speak for others - but to me the reason I continue to make these flippant remarks about the hate BM is getting - is because it's unwarranted. It's extreme. It's over the top and prejudicial. . . . From you I see absolutely nothing that says - "He's a Brown and damn if I don't want the kid to rock it and be ROY and the future franchise QB we've missed since the return" ..... nothing with any positive spin. And he's done nothing as a Brown to warrant any bashing. Oh yeah - other than being a midget. For that there can be no forgiveness

SURE - there are some red flags and things he did as a college kid that I absolutely don't want him to do in a Browns Uni. As much as I understood the crotch grab - even if teams are disrespetful, I don't want to see him do that in a Browns Uni. If he starts day 1 and beats Pit 63-0 I don't want to see him do that. I don't want him to get into any incident ever involving a cop .... I bet none of the fans of BM on here want to see him be a jackwad in a Browns Uni either .... the difference is they aren't condemning him without him ever having taken the field yet.

But it's pretty simple to say something more balanced "I hated some of the schtick he did in College and I don't want to see him do that as QB for the Browns. Kid has a clean sheet - and as long as he acts with a higher level or maturity in the NFL I am going to root for him all day long and twice on Sundays." That's not far from what you claim to be saying .... but everything you write has a different vibe to that entirely. In your posts the kid is already guilty of being a jackwad and will remain so until you deem otherwise.

jmo
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 10:28 PM
I’m out.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/03/18 11:54 PM
Did his dad talk to him after the cop incident? Then again the finger? Then again the crotch grab?... I don’t know. If so, Baker must not listen to his dad. OR... or he’s unable to control his emotions once the juices start flowing. That is my concern.

To each their own.

So now you will live with us winning, but will never like it?

Wow
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 01:17 AM

To each their own.

So now you will live with us winning, but will never like it?

Wow

I guess I’m back.... stop twisting my words. You’re better than this.
You’re making it sound like I said “I’ll live with us winning, but not like it”. As though I’ll not like us winning. Which is absurd. You’re twisting what I said and you know it.
I was sayin... if we’re winning, I’ll live with Baker’s antics...but never like them.

Stop twisting my words and I’ll not return to the thread. Or keep putting words in my mouth and I’ll further ‘ruin’ the thread...per kwhip.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 02:34 AM
Quote:
Calloway was a forth round flyer on talent with a rap sheet. Not the #1 overall. He’s not being asked to carry the franchise.

But you said this in the post right above this one..

Quote:
When Baker gets on the field and wins, I’ll ‘give him a chance’. Right now he’s just another guy until he proves his worth.

So is he just another guy... or is he the #1 overall being asked to carry the franchise? I don't see how he can be both....

I wish there was less of the antics in sports in general.. flexing when you are 6'9" and you dunk? Really? Getting up and dancing after every tackle.. yea I wish a lot of that would calm down.. but it's become a part of the game...

Let me put it this way, I'd rather have a guy who goes a little over the top once in a while than a guy who acts like he doesn't really care and is all smiles after every loss...

The thing Mayfield needs to be aware of when he sees the field (whenever that is).. NFL players know his reputation, they will do everything they can do to get under his skin and get him distracted.. so that's something he is going to have to be very aware of especially early in his playing career.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 03:15 AM
Not to be a turd in the punch bowl, but Mayfield has not actually signed a contract yet. The tweet this thread is based on shows what Mayfield’s contract will be when it is signed. He has not actually signed yet.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 03:15 AM
To the team, he’s being asked to be the face of the franchise. It’s why he was brought here. It’s who the FO put their career in the hands of.
To me, until he wins, he’s just another guy. A guy that kinda rubs me the wrong way.
If he wins... GO BROWNS!!

I agree with everything else you said... am I a monster?
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 04:33 AM
All the top 4 QB prospects in the draft had problems.. Darnold's was a lack of experience and a history of fumbles and INTs .. Rosen was a reputation of a limited attention span and an immature know it all uncoachable attitude .. Allen was inaccuracy with a lack of major competition .. Mayfield was shorter than average height and immature cockiness .. So the Dorsey chose the one he thought was the best fit ... Mayfield.

There was no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning in this draft.. You pay your money and you take your chance.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 10:27 AM
Even a dumb old redneck like me gets it Portland. You don't like Baker as a person. But you will be a hootin, an a hollerin, every time he takes the field for the Browns, and you will be prayin he does great and leads us to a superbowl. Just they way I rooted for Kellen Winslow's no good stuck up think's his poop don't stink, punk ass. thumbsup
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 12:18 PM
Really eo? I’ve lost my roots?

hard on a board...joking and busting your hump a little bit, my bad. No need to explain.

The things you hate about him don't exist quite the way they do.

Actions as a kid in college, not talking about Theft, Beating his girl, drugs, just an emotional college action that was not premeditated and thought out. Juvenile yes, but not something to concern yourself too deeply. Again you don't like it, got it. But you are making a mountain truly out of a mole hill as there was no red flag expressed from ANYONE evaluating him.
That is my point, not cadoning his behavior. Understanding the process. Did you see the hit he took absolute cheap shot and no comparison to a crotch grab. Do you understand why he did that? Not asking you to excuse the behavior but understand that he is not a piece of crap but instead he took a lot and did the scoring and added the ending the media went gaga over. But that is not who the kid is.

I expect him to be a professional not College stuff. I see him having control, you don't. I see him take a cheap shot of cheap shots, one to cause physical damage. He did not go after the guy He didn't ask his team mates to take revenge physically. He led them with football.

Thanks for giving him a chance. Not that you have much of a choice. But his action might have been not to your liking, but you are defining him with that action without knowing the complete story. I watched it live, I saw it build up and he was not the aggressor it was a very hostile crowd and the players were even worse.

Take away the Crotch grabbing. I want the fire he brings cause this team needs it. Not only the FIRE but the ability to back it up FIRST and fore most!

Actually he showed a lot more self control then you give credit to. No corner to turn, again you and it seems only a few POSTERS seem to think so. No football people, No personnel men that vetted him like no other Vetting done on a player before.
No Coaches that vetted him like no other. Ergo my mountain out of a Mole hill statement. You see some high light edited film and made up your mind who the kid is.

Thats all. You can like him hate him just I know you are mistaken. I'm fully aware of your point. Just not existent to the degree you have expressed.

Later.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: hitt
What percentage of the population has been sighted for public drunkenness and gets tackled by the police.

All I care is,
Did he get the ball out before the police tackled him,
was his arm in a forward motion or was it a fumble? thumbsup
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: hitt
What percentage of the population has been sighted for public drunkenness and gets tackled by the police.

All I care is,
Did he get the ball out before the police tackled him,
was his arm in a forward motion or was it a fumble? thumbsup

Tuck rule was in effect.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 03:20 PM
Like I tried to tell you earlier, you'll only get excuses for bad behavior. It's a sign of the times we live in these days. You know, "It was someone elses fault". "Showing zero sportsmanship or class doesn't matter anymore." "If someone else is rude, that's an excuse for you to be even ruder." "Let the bad actions of others excuse your bad actions." "As long as a player is a winner, it's okay to be classless".

Let's face it, even though they're not saying it in so many words, that's exactly what they're saying.

I've known a lot of these guys for many years and I certainly expected more from them.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 04:03 PM
Quote:

I don't know. do you live in a swamp and eat bugs and frogs and stuff? do you live under a kids bed and eat their toes if they hang over?

I mean really, who am I to determine the criteria of what makes one a "monster"? tongue
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 04:25 PM
To the team, he’s being asked to be the face of the franchise. It’s why he was brought here. It’s who the FO put their career in the hands of.
To me, until he wins, he’s just another guy. A guy that kinda rubs me the wrong way.
If he wins... GO BROWNS!!

Dude, you had it right the first time when you weren't going to comment again... but now here you are trying to explain the difference between the #1 pick and a 4th round pick.

Just tell them they're right and they won...
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 04:30 PM
Like I tried to tell you earlier, you'll only get excuses for bad behavior. It's a sign of the times we live in these days. You know, "It was someone elses fault". "Showing zero sportsmanship or class doesn't matter anymore." "If someone else is rude, that's an excuse for you to be even ruder." "Let the bad actions of others excuse your bad actions." "As long as a player is a winner, it's okay to be classless".

Let's face it, even though they're not saying it in so many words, that's exactly what they're saying.

I've known a lot of these guys for many years and I certainly expected more from them.

You’re right...and it’s exhausting.

Posted By: 442Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 04:54 PM

You’re right...and it’s exhausting.

Maybe it's more to do with a couple of posters making mountains out of mole hills when it comes to Mayfield. You want to get all up in arms over the behavior of some of the other draft picks with issues, that's understandable. But your issues with Mayfield are just mole hills. That's why we don't care about them. They don't matter. They don't make him a bad person. They don't make him a criminal, drug user, spousal abuser, or alcoholic.

I save my ire and judgement for those types of players. Not over Mayfields petty crap.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:24 PM
Listening to BM press conference today at 1:22 .... young man is impressive. I hadn't listened to any other intros after the draft. This is the first I have heard him as a Brown. I like him even more and am rooting for him 1000%. I don't see what there isn't to like about him .... he's already differentiated himself from JM by his work ethic the first few days of his new job.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:30 PM
The problem is that nobody is actually doing that. It's not some issue of criminal behavior. It's not some issue that I've predicted will continue. It's something I'm sure we all hope he will outgrow.

But let me tell you what it is. It's classless behavior. It's poor sportsmanship and it IS something the NFL will not stand for. It is behavior that will draw flags, fines and possible suspensions if it does continue to occur.

The problem? People act like it didn't happen. That it isn't poor behavior and that he is excused for doing it. There is film showing this lack of self control and people act as though it's okay because of the very things I mentioned above. It's simply not.

Maybe if people would actually step up and admit it's not something they wish to see in our players and they hope he's moved on from it it wouldn't be so bad. But to ignore it and act like these type of actions are okay is laughable. To act as though this isn't a blemish is simply trying to ignore the obvious.

Sorry, but excusing bad behavior isn't a quality.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:40 PM
Listening to BM press conference today at 1:22 .... young man is impressive. I hadn't listened to any other intros after the draft. This is the first I have heard him as a Brown. I like him even more and am rooting for him 1000%. I don't see what there isn't to like about him .... he's already differentiated himself from JM by his work ethic the first few days of his new job.

Video: Mayfield press conference before rookie practice
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:41 PM
I think he'll end up needing to get his hand slapped once or twice before he figures it out, but then it'll be done with.

You are right, the NFL isn't going to put up with those antics. He's either going to get blown up by a defender, called for a penalty that hurts us at the end of a game, or compelled by the league office to make a sizable donation of money. But I think it'll end there. That same competitiveness will help him shape up if his behavior prevents a win.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:45 PM

Sorry we aren't living up to your standards.. I wish we had 53 guys on the roster who played for 7 seconds like Dick Butkus or Ray Lewis.. then in between plays ran out and helped old ladies across the Euclid Avenue... but here in the real world, that's not going to happen.

On the sliding scale of player behavior from "Oh My God, don't put that guy on my team"... to ... "Meh, not worried about it".. the things Baker Mayfield has done are much closer to the "Meh, not worried about it" end.

Do I hope that from the sidelines he grabs little Baker while pointing at the Steelers and gets fined for it? Not really... but if it's because we are about to win by 3 touchdowns, will I get over it? In a heartbeat.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:48 PM
I certainly do love his competitive nature. He's a fiery kid and that can be infectious. My hope is it won't even go as far as you've described and I don't feel it's going to be an ongoing theme throughout his career. It's just something the kid needs to get in check.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:51 PM
The thing is, if we're winning by three touchdowns, why bother? Didn't you just show your actions with your play?

I just wonder how you would respond to your child if he acted this way while playing sports?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:58 PM
The thing is, if we're winning by three touchdowns, why bother? Didn't you just show your actions with your play?

I just wonder how you would respond to your child if he acted this way while playing sports?

Dude ... if were beating Pit by 3 TD’s with a minute to go in the game and BM gives the Stilers bench the “crotch” ... most posters on here will be so happy and drunk they’ll look at whoever there with and give them a big ole poop eating grin and give them what will go down in history as the now famous “Baker Mayfield” ....

And Pit ... in your younger days you’d of been “Baker Mayfielding” everyone in the bar and all day at work the next day ... rofl ...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 05:59 PM
Quote:

In a perfect world, yea... but having some idea of the things they are saying to him on every play.. I can understand it.. just need to be smart and make sure whatever you say or do isn't on camera...

Quote:

I would act like a father.. I'm not Baker Mayfields father.... I would have a talk with my son and, in the end, tell him a lot of the stuff you said.. let your play talk for you, show some sportsmanship even if they don't show any to you.. etc...

Just out of curiosity, what would you do? Your child is a high school junior, OSU, Alabama, and USC are all there scouting him and he grabs his wanker on the sidelines.. you going to yank him off the field? Put him in timeout? Not let him accept the scholarship? What exactly are you going to do?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:03 PM
If it becomes a pattern of behavior I'm going to consider that before anything else.
Posted By: 442Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:05 PM
The problem is that nobody is actually doing that. It's not some issue of criminal behavior. It's not some issue that I've predicted will continue. It's something I'm sure we all hope he will outgrow.

But let me tell you what it is. It's classless behavior. It's poor sportsmanship and it IS something the NFL will not stand for. It is behavior that will draw flags, fines and possible suspensions if it does continue to occur.

The problem? People act like it didn't happen. That it isn't poor behavior and that he is excused for doing it. There is film showing this lack of self control and people act as though it's okay because of the very things I mentioned above. It's simply not.

Maybe if people would actually step up and admit it's not something they wish to see in our players and they hope he's moved on from it it wouldn't be so bad. But to ignore it and act like these type of actions are okay is laughable. To act as though this isn't a blemish is simply trying to ignore the obvious.

Sorry, but excusing bad behavior isn't a quality.

I think we just have a different barometer for bad behavior. Some things fall lower and are less serious on my scale than yours, and that's cool.

I don't think his actions have been a blemish on the Browns though, or on OU, or on Mayfield himself. He did win the Heisman afterall.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:06 PM
Does any of that make hitting an opposing player in the head with a football or the incident where he grabs his crotch, cursing and flipping off the opposing team right, or okay?

that's what I mean. I keep hearing a lot of excuses but few actually willing to address the behavior itself.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:14 PM
Unclench bro ... IT WAS A JOKE ...

wink ...

I’m not as concerned as U ... but i get it 100% ... i even understand dudes dislike of BM for it .. to each their own ...

What i dont understand ... is folks like the dude that posted before u i believe ... think it was that 442 menZa ...

He said and hes not the only one .. a bunch of them have said this .... something to the affect of ...

“It didnt hurt him or OU” ... ummmm ... he was BENCHED to start a game because of it ... did he have to sit out (not sure if it was a play or two or a series or two) ... did he have to sit out cause OU was PROUD OF HIS BEHAVIOR ... rofl ...

I agree with them in that its not that big of deal for me while at the same time agreeing with u and yours in that it is a concern and could potentially be a problem ....

Not sure what that makes me ... a man on an island i guess ... not like I ain’t been there before ... *LOL* ...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:52 PM
After much consideration of how to abbreviate Baker Mayfield

without it being an abbreviation of BM- bowell movement

or May Field, (un huh, nope)

or BMF (that don't work either)

I've decided the only acceptable abbrev. for Baker Mayfield = Shaft!

as in.
(Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's trouble all about, Shaft!)

( Shut your mouth, but I'm talking about Shaft.)

( Unless he has a middle name that starts with the letter A, not U.) BAM, / BUM

I think I'll call him Shaft.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:55 PM
FYI. Baker Reagan Mayfield
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 06:57 PM

Or there's just not any issue at all...

Sounds like some are trying to find reasons why they think he will fail so they can say, "I told you so."

Good luck!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Or there's just not any issue at all...

Sounds like some are trying to find reasons why they think he will fail so they can say, "I told you so."

Good luck!

Actually that's not anything close to what I've said. But thanks for playing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 07:01 PM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Baker Mayfield didn't actually sign a contract.
Posted By: 442Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 07:26 PM
Unclench bro ... IT WAS A JOKE ...

wink ...

I’m not as concerned as U ... but i get it 100% ... i even understand dudes dislike of BM for it .. to each their own ...

What i dont understand ... is folks like the dude that posted before u i believe ... think it was that 442 menZa ...

He said and hes not the only one .. a bunch of them have said this .... something to the affect of ...

“It didnt hurt him or OU” ... ummmm ... he was BENCHED to start a game because of it ... did he have to sit out (not sure if it was a play or two or a series or two) ... did he have to sit out cause OU was PROUD OF HIS BEHAVIOR ... rofl ...

I agree with them in that its not that big of deal for me while at the same time agreeing with u and yours in that it is a concern and could potentially be a problem ....

Not sure what that makes me ... a man on an island i guess ... not like I ain’t been there before ... *LOL* ...

Yeah, your dislike for me has somehow translated to creating controversy where there isn't.

Mayfield sat out a whole 2 plays that his coach mandated. 2 whole plays. Not series. Plays.

So you tell me, how much did his antics really hurt OU?

It obviously didn't hurt Mayfield, afterall he won the Heisman and was drafted #1 overall.

So it's quite obvious that I'm right and you're wrong. It's all a non-issue. His college coach has said that, John Dorsey has said that, and Hue Jackson has said that.

So who gives a crap what you say? You're irrelevant. So am I. The difference is that my opinion sides with the majority of people who actually matter in this whole thing.
Posted By: 442Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 07:33 PM

think it was that 442 menZa ...

Definition:
"Menza"

Menza is the largest, oldest, and best known low-IQ society for retarded people in the world.

That's pretty low man. Even my 3 year old knows better than to call someone or something retarded. Maybe that's because his uncle, my little brother, is mentally challenged. And maybe it's because my 3 year old, and mentally challenged brother, have about a million times more class than you.

I have no respect for you. Not now, not ever.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 07:51 PM
FYI. Baker Reagan Mayfield

Hmm, I'm starting to like this guy for some reason ..... wink rofl
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: 442Dawg

think it was that 442 menZa ...

Definition:
"Menza"

Menza is the largest, oldest, and best known low-IQ society for retarded people in the world.

That's pretty low man. Even my 3 year old knows better than to call someone or something retarded. Maybe that's because his uncle, my little brother, is mentally challenged. And maybe it's because my 3 year old, and mentally challenged brother, have about a million times more class than you.

I have no respect for you. Not now, not ever.

I been using that spelling of Mensa for years on here ... first time anyone pointed that out ... ALMOST EVERYONE understands the sarcasm in it ... although the first time some see it they need to be told its sarcasm after they’ve corrected my spelling ... *L* ...... i didnt even know it was a word ... so i googled it ...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/menza

"menza"
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

mensa
menta
mensas
mezza
menzie
monza
Mensa
penza
mense

Not sure what dictionary u used ... don’t really care cause if Webster and Merrian BOTH AGREE its not a word ... i’m going with them .... thumbsup
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 08:36 PM
Quote:
Does any of that make hitting an opposing player in the head with a football

Do you know how long it's been since we had a QB who could hit ANYTHING from 15 yards away?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 08:40 PM
Quote:
Does any of that make hitting an opposing player in the head with a football

Do you know how long we've waited for a QB with that kind of accuracy?

Quote:
I keep hearing a lot of excuses but few actually willing to address the behavior itself.

I've addressed it.. it's not right, I wish he didn't do it... there's nothing I can do about it and I hope he doesn't do anything to cost the Browns...
Posted By: Hammer Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 08:41 PM
I suspect he used this:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Menza
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 08:51 PM

When he said "Googled it" he meant "didn't Google it." I know because I Googled it and look what the first result was (after someone named Nick Menza):

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 09:11 PM
What? ...

Did u just call me a liar? ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 09:16 PM
I see ... i call everything google ... im an old man ...

I googled webster dictionary (again .. im an old man ... for me thats the dictionary .. ) ...

Then looked up menza ....

Thats the results i posted ...

My bad ...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 09:40 PM
j/c:

Everyone, can we get the thread back on track and discuss Mayfield signing his contract. naughtydevil
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/04/18 11:06 PM
j/c:

Everyone, can we get the thread back on track and discuss Mayfield signing his contract. naughtydevil

EXCEPT HE DIDNT SIGN HIS CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry for yelling.)
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
j/c:

EXCEPT HE DIDNT SIGN HIS CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry for yelling.)

Yes, I was making fun of myself for erroneously starting the thread.
Posted By: TripleOption Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 01:13 AM
Stupid question...he's allowed to be on the field / partake in Rookie Camp without a contract?
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 01:45 AM
I think I need to own that white long sleeved Browns shirt, he was wearing for that interview.

Any idea how much that goes for?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 01:51 AM
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Stupid question...he's allowed to be on the field / partake in Rookie Camp without a contract?

I believe that is true of rookie camp.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 02:05 AM
Sports
Mayfield confident QB competition won't divide Browns
The Associated Press TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer),The Associated Press 4 hours ago
Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield looks to throw during rookie minicamp at the NFL football team's training camp facility, Friday, May 4, 2018, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)
BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Baker Mayfield intends to conquer, not divide.

Although drafted by the win-starved Cleveland Browns with the No. 1 overall pick to be their quarterback of the future, Mayfield said Friday he plans to be a leader from the outset even if he doesn't start as a rookie.

Tyrod Taylor is the team's presumptive opening-week starter against Pittsburgh, and while Mayfield intends to compete for the job in training camp, he won't allow personal ambition to get in the way of team goals.

He won't step on any toes.

''It's not about individuals,'' Mayfield said as the Browns opened their three-day rookie minicamp. ''They brought him and I in because we're both team-oriented guys. He's the starter, and all I can do is help us out. So it's not going to be something that separates the locker room. We're not going to be fighting over who's the man in the locker room.

''I'm a team-oriented guy and I just want to win.''

Mayfield's leadership and drive were part of the self-assured Oklahoma quarterback's appeal to the Browns, who believe - in time - he can turn around a team that has gone 1-31 the past two seasons.

The plan for now is for Taylor to start and Mayfield to learn while watching a quarterback who led the Buffalo Bills to their first playoff appearance in 18 years last season. The Browns traded for Taylor in March before they reached a consensus on taking Mayfield, who won a Heisman Trophy last season while losing some fans for objectionable on-field antics.

But Mayfield's a pro now, he claims more mature from his mistakes, and he's got a clean slate and a new set of priorities. At the top of his list: earning the trust of his teammates.

To do that, Mayfield intends to be himself, which means he'll go at it full throttle.

''I've got to continue my strengths, and leadership is one of them,'' he said. ''So when you talk about that, it's earning the respect of the veterans in the locker room. The guys who have been doing it for a while, I have to earn their respect. You can't talk about it and earn their respect. You have to go to work. You have to put the time in. You've got to learn the playbook, and then when you get your opportunity, you've got to show that you're there for a reason.''

Mayfield said he met Taylor when the QB stopped in while he was in quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese's office. Mayfield has been impressed with Taylor's commitment and openness.

''Everything I've heard, even when I went on my visit at the Bills, they said the same things about him, he's just an unbelievable guy,'' Mayfield said. ''You see that and then you see him up here, how often he's actually here, it's very transparent who he is.''

Mayfield knows he has a lot to learn. He's been digging into Cleveland's playbook, so the X's and O's make sense when he's on the practice field. He intends to be physically and mentally fit by the time training camp opens in July.

In the meantime, he's learning about Cleveland while Cleveland learns about him.

On Thursday night, Mayfield and the team's other rookies had dinner with some Browns alumni, including Hall of Famer Jim Brown, quarterback Bernie Kosar and others. They were told about what it's like to play for a fan base longing to see the Browns win again.

''The one thing I keep hearing about is the loyalty of the fans,'' Mayfield said. ''I think about how they deserve a team that's winning, a team they can rally behind and that's what they'll do no matter what. This franchise is built on winning, they've been winning in the past and some of those guys set the tone. So right now we're trying to get back to that.''

NOTES: The Browns said their trade on Wednesday with Kansas City, swapping tight end Randall Telfer for Chiefs defensive end Dadi Nicolas, has been voided. The team did not provide any further details. Cleveland waived Telfer, a 2015 sixth-round draft pick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mayfield-co...03225--nfl.html
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 02:31 AM
Well stated Baker, but we've heard that before. Fall in line, back up your words, I will not let mutiny stand. That is my only concern, you were probably the best QB in this class.

This is Tyrod's ship.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

They all have insurance/coverage that protects them against injury.

These are also non contact camps. There aren't even any 11 on 11 allowed.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 05:52 AM
Glad the contract issue disappears. So now, BM officially has his playbook, correct? hope he is hypnotized by that thing and devouring it! I also hope Hue does what he is good at there in camp, which is people. Less jabber; more work. His verbatim interviews are odd at times.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 02:25 PM
Right now the rookies are working with a rookie camp playbook. It's a scaled down version so they don't become overwhelmed. Baker mentioned it during his presser.
Posted By: kwhip Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 02:35 PM
I see ... i call everything google ... im an old man ...

I googled webster dictionary (again .. im an old man ... for me thats the dictionary .. ) ...

Then looked up menza ....

Thats the results i posted ...

My bad ...

MAYFIELD. Man, the more I listen and watch these media meets, the more I like him. And for ME, that's saying A TON.

With the comfort level and confidence he displays in front of the media, it's hard to believe he's acted as he has in the past.

If the speed of the game doesn't overwhelm him, and he can keep that superb accuracy, we may have struck GOLD.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 02:49 PM
I think the part that excites me most, besides his accuracy and competitive nature, is that he seems to be a true student of the game. He talked about dissecting defenses and studying their weaknesses to give him every advantage possible. If this is truly the case, and he is good at it, we may have landed a real winner.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/05/18 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I think the part that excites me most, besides his accuracy and competitive nature, is that he seems to be a true student of the game. He talked about dissecting defenses and studying their weaknesses to give him every advantage possible. If this is truly the case, and he is good at it, we may have landed a real winner.

Thats what they saw in him that made him the #1 pick
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 02:07 AM
That's the biggest thing that separates him from manziel... he doesn't seem to work his ass off...

I'm still worried about a 6 foot qb... but praying his work ethic and leadership make up for his height...
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 03:44 AM
He knows how to play the game at 6'. He's been doing it for a long time now. He has to get used to the speed of the league. He's smart and has a good work ethic so I'm sure he'll master the playbook but the speed of the NFL game is new to him. That will be the biggest challenge for him.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 06:31 AM
Our current starter, Taylor, is 6 ft 3/4", instead of 6 ft 5/8" of Mayfield. I do not hear anyone complaining about him. He just took a team to the Playoffs and was a Pro Bowl QB after the 2015 season. I guess that 1/8" makes a HUGE difference.
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 03:38 PM
moved...
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 09:42 PM
Seems sensible to me. Hope we are working at it hard. Do you think the jargon and stuff will throw BM for long? Hope TT and company help him out early.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 10:35 PM
Our current starter, Taylor, is 6 ft 3/4", instead of 6 ft 5/8" of Mayfield. I do not hear anyone complaining about him. He just took a team to the Playoffs and was a Pro Bowl QB after the 2015 season. I guess that 1/8" makes a HUGE difference.

Sure is. Makes BM a Midget according to the haters.
Posted By: PDF Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/06/18 11:08 PM

Height is only an issue if you're getting balls swatted at the line.

Mayfield doesn't have that issue. The game is about to get quicker and tighter for him, but it hasn't been an issue to date.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/07/18 12:32 AM
Quote:
#1 pick Baker Mayfield will be signing a fully GTD 4-year, $32,682,980 deal, which includes a $21,849,440 signing bonus. A look at 2018 1st round contracts & issues relating to the deals via @CBSSports.

After seeing the thread that names a few players who DID sign and not seeing Mayfield's name, I came back to this thread.

The title says "Baker Mayfield Signs Contract". But the content says he WILL sign a contract consisting of the contract numbers mentioned. Nowhere does it say he actually signed it yet. All along, because of this thread, I thought Baker was already signed.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/07/18 12:48 AM
Yeah, I too was confused with it.

I'll post back when he actually does ink.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/07/18 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Quote:

After seeing the thread that names a few players who DID sign and not seeing Mayfield's name, I came back to this thread.

The title says "Baker Mayfield Signs Contract". But the content says he WILL sign a contract consisting of the contract numbers mentioned. Nowhere does it say he actually signed it yet. All along, because of this thread, I thought Baker was already signed.
same here, thanks!
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/11/18 04:48 PM
I don't understand the reference to Bowell Movement...the kid is BM...I mean I can make a bad reference to just about every INITIAL out there. Why let a few trolls change the use of initials for posting effect. BM is my guy and our Franchise QB prospect. It saves me time in typing Baker Mayfield ...so I will continue to reference him with BM.

If we got immature posters who will continue to use an insulting reference to the initials. What do I care they are the ones looking like little babies.

BM wink great prospect and QB for us!
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/11/18 05:38 PM
I don't understand the reference to Bowell Movement...the kid is BM...I mean I can make a bad reference to just about every INITIAL out there. Why let a few trolls change the use of initials for posting effect. BM is my guy and our Franchise QB prospect. It saves me time in typing Baker Mayfield ...so I will continue to reference him with BM.

If we got immature posters who will continue to use an insulting reference to the initials. What do I care they are the ones looking like little babies.

BM wink great prospect and QB for us!

You may not understand the reference, but ‘BM’ is actually how we document the words ‘bowel movement’ in the medical profession. A work day hasn’t gone by in the past 21 years that I haven’t written a chart note using ‘BM’. A nurse’s job is to be obsessed about ‘i’s and o’s’. We record everything that goes into and everything that comes out of our patients.
So while I’ve never used the BM moniker as a negative towards Baker, it is his initials after all, it still has its underlying widespread meaning.
I’m not one to assign nicknames to players. Hopefully people will rise above the BM angle. Most importantly I hope Baker plays QB better than a BM.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/11/18 06:26 PM
I just think people are joking about it and actually intend no harm. I know I'm not going to get my bowels in an uproar about it.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/11/18 08:16 PM
Quote:
You may not understand the reference, but ‘BM’ is actually how we document the words ‘bowel movement’ in the medical profession.

It's also commonly used by parents with babies in diapers.. a lot of people know what it means...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/11/18 09:48 PM
j/c:

Whoever started this thread led it off with a very misleading title, if you ask me.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/11/18 10:05 PM
The original poster has stated in the thread that he misunderstood the article he cited.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/12/18 03:39 PM
j/c:

Whoever started this thread led it off with a very misleading title, if you ask me.

BM's happen.
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/12/18 05:20 PM
Ok...so medical professional uses that as the initialed reference. Should make you laugh I guess but why should we stop using BM as this is not a medical board...you don't have to, cause it means something else to you. Just stating I will continue to use BM. I'm sure there are other medical abbreviations that come to play in initials. Now got to see other posts cause I have to have a BM soon...

Posted By: lampdogg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/13/18 02:45 AM
Wow.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/13/18 12:59 PM
Andy Reid not surprised at all John Dorsey loved Baker Mayfield

While many in the NFL world seemed surprised that new Cleveland Browns GM John Dorsey would be infatuated with Baker Mayfield, one of the men who knows him best was not. Chiefs coach Andy Reid is not among those. He knew Mayfield’s leadership, energy and accuracy would endear the smallish Oklahoma quarterback to his former boss in Kansas City.

Here is what Andy Reid had to say on the Rich Eisen Show about whether he was surprised that Dorsey selected Mayfield #1 overall,

“No, I wasn’t at all.”

Many pundits believed Dorsey would be attracted to Josh Allen or Sam Darnold, but Reid knew Mayfield had the qualities Dorsey really wanted.

“Baker Mayfield is an energy-giver,” Reid told Eisen. “He’s going to come in and he can play. This isn’t like the kid can’t play. He is not the biggest kid, but who cares. If they can play, they can play.”

The longtime Chiefs coach continued,

“That’s what John felt and more power to him. He’s a good leader, he’s smart, he can sling the ball, he’s got good accuracy. So who knows, you’re sitting 50/50 with these first-round picks anyways. It’s a crapshoot and you know that. You better go get the guy you want, you feel good about, your staff feels good about. Go get him and coach the heck out of him and let’s roll.”

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/...baker-mayfield/
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/14/18 02:52 AM
I hope Baker listens to and follows every one of Chad’s words.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...mber-who-he-is/

The Jets and Browns, among others, are breaking in rookie quarterbacks. And it’s a former Jets rookie quarterback who is working with the Browns rookie quarterback.

Yes, Chad Pennington — a first-round pick of the Jets in 2000 — is mentoring Baker Mayfield. And Pennington’s primary recommendation is surprisingly simple.

“My first piece of advice came from a place of transparency and honesty in saying that, ‘Baker, you have to remember who you are,'” Pennington told Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal. “‘And that is a guy who was a twice walk-on in college, and without your work ethic and your talent, you would probably be a [graduate assistant] somewhere coaching.'”

The goal is to get Mayfield to “keep that edge about [him], or this game and the entertainment value around this game will eat a player up and spit him out.”

Pennington has cautioned Mayfield to shy away from some of the pre-draft projects he embraced, including a nine-part Facebook documentary.

“[O]nce you believe you’re an entertainer, not a football player, your time is going to be limited in this league,” Pennington told Ulrich. “We talked about keeping it strictly about football, eliminating some of those distractions. I certainly understand the business side of building your brand, but like I tell all the rookies I speak with, your brand is not how many followers you have on Twitter and friends on Facebook. Your brand is how you work and how you treat people, and if your work ethic is right and you treat people right, your brand will be built the correct way.”

Pennington also believes that Mayfield should reconsider his habit of remembering which media members write or say critical things about him.

“You [should] have a healthy perspective on it where you use it as motivation but you don’t take it so personal that it completely controls every action and reaction that you have,” Pennington said. “We think that this relationship with the media should be so tense and adversarial. But when I look back upon it, I think most people within the media are good people, a lot of them are closet fans of the team they’re reporting on, they just don’t want you to know it, and if you treat them with respect and understand they have a job to do and so do you and you keep that healthy and professional, it can be something that bodes well for you.”

Pennington likes the fact that the Browns are committed to keeping Mayfield on the bench to start his career, as long as Mayfield is willing to support the starter.

“When [the quarterback] room is stable, then the team is stable,” Pennington said. “When that room is not stable, the team is not stable.”

The Browns have been anything but stable in recent years. If they groom Mayfield the right way — and if he’s all in with the approach — they may be better than stable, for a long time.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/14/18 05:11 AM
Pennington is a good choice to mentor Baker.

Pennington was just an average type QB, but I think he might have been more if not for injuries.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/14/18 05:27 AM
I hope Baker listens to and follows every one of Chad’s words.

He'd be stupid not to. Chad was a very cerebral QB and a Rhodes Scholar Finalist. The guy's smart.

Chad is a QB I always was a big fan of. I live in the NY region, and when the Browns left, I began rooting for the Jets. Parcells just left the Patriots, and the Jets were an underdog coming off a 1-15 season and ready for the Parcells turnaround.

A lot of that carried over even after the Browns came back. Because of this, my favorite RB ever is Curtis Martin and favorite WR is Keyshawn. I wish the Browns could get some players of that caliber to replace those two. Haven't yet though. Those two, especially Curtis Martin, were awesome.

Anyway, Chad Pennington is one of my favorite QBs ever, and certainly my favorite Jets QB. He didn't have all the tools, especially after developing the shoulder issues. But, Chad was a very smart QB. He understood the position very well.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/14/18 08:13 AM
that's great advice. don't become a caricature of yourself. Mayfield MUST continue his hard work, preparation, etc
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/14/18 10:32 AM
Stay friendly with everyone except Grossi, lol.
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 05/14/18 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Wow.

Now what? I can't be any more cordial than that. Even joked around. Just tell me what the wow is about. What did I miss.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/21/18 04:53 PM
Chubb is apparently finalizing his contract yet there's nothing about Baker. Not even a "they're close" and etc. He's one of 26 unsigned draft picks... what's the hold up?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/21/18 05:02 PM
Eight of the top ten draft picks have not signed. This is the normal process.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/21/18 05:35 PM
Yeah, I don't even worry about signing picks anymore
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/21/18 07:34 PM
Eight of the top ten draft picks have not signed. This is the normal process.

Ahhh. Made an issue of a non issue. Mind set at ease, cheers.
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/22/18 01:37 PM
Ward hasn't signed either, right?

So this is a norm and we can only guess its about the guaranteed portion of the contract. Agents basically earn their money on that portion of the contract and I guess they don't wish to look over matched by signing and then finding out this guy drafted after their guy signed for much more in guarantee money as it doesn't make them look good for their future resumes on look what I can do.

jmhspeculation
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/22/18 01:50 PM
Ward hasn't signed either, right?

So this is a norm and we can only guess its about the guaranteed portion of the contract. Agents basically earn their money on that portion of the contract and I guess they don't wish to look over matched by signing and then finding out this guy drafted after their guy signed for much more in guarantee money as it doesn't make them look good for their future resumes on look what I can do.

jmhspeculation

I believe they're arguing about how much of their signing bonus they'll get this year and arguing over offset language, will the player get paid if he's cut and signed somewhere else.

I'm not worried, we're still a month away from camp and Baker said he wants to host some workouts in Cali with the team.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/24/18 06:00 PM

I agree, but there really was nothing else for him to concentrate on unless he was acting as his own agent.

How cool would it be to go down to the bank and ask the teller to give you your current balance....I might do it 2-3 times a week for a while with in excess of 21 mil.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/24/18 06:18 PM
This generation would never do that. They would check their balance online. lol
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/24/18 06:31 PM

Yeah, in a crowded restaturant, over their speaker, "hey Siri, what's my bank balance?".
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/24/18 07:24 PM
Leaving the receipt at the ATM is the real power move.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/24/18 11:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Yeah, in a crowded restaturant, over their speaker, "hey Siri, what's my bank balance?".
brownie
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/26/18 01:05 PM
Jim Brown would agree with you.. Score, hand the ball to the Ref and go back to the sideline like it's no big deal.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/26/18 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Jim Brown would agree with you.. Score, hand the ball to the Ref and go back to the sideline like it's no big deal.

As I’ve said in the past, the biggest slight you can give an opponent is to act like kicking their arse is just what you do. You score, you hand the ball to the ref. “Meh, of course we scored. I’ll be back to do it again next drive.”
Where as when you run around like a child celebrating, you’re basically declaring “oh my god I can’t believe we scored! Let’s celebrate as it may never happen again.”...you know, like in soccer. (A little soccer dig for PDX. smile )
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/26/18 01:53 PM

Of course its a different era regarding celebrations. But I think JB would have stayed the same, if you remember he would conserve all his energy for the game. Walking back slow to the huddle, mostly to not let the D know how they effected him after hits. Just maintained the same gait back. I doubt he would expend the energy these guys do after scoring. With dancing jumping in the stands etc. Maybe the last play of a Championship game he would celebrate? But I think back in those days any celebration was met with a penalty???

jmho - didn't Barry Sanders do the same exact thing regarding no celebration... 2 of the best ever.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/26/18 02:10 PM
Jerry Rice was another. If one of the GOATs didn’t need to do the ‘dirty bird’ or ‘Icky shuffle’ or make snow angels or ... then I think everyone else can get by with an ‘atta-boy’ and a pat on the helmet on the sideline.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Baker Mayfield - 06/26/18 04:39 PM
Some recent interviews from Cowherd and Skip and Shannon

This is about the most "talk the talk" I've seen in a long time. Dude is certainly clearheaded and sounds like he's up to the challenge...

It's the preseason though, and people are willing to say anything at this point. Hopefully this is the true version of him though and he shows it through and through.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Baker Mayfield - 06/26/18 05:02 PM
I hope his quick thinking in his interviews translates to processing on field, real time info just as quickly.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/26/18 09:35 PM
Jerry Rice was another. If one of the GOATs didn’t need to do the ‘dirty bird’ or ‘Icky shuffle’ or make snow angels or ... then I think everyone else can get by with an ‘atta-boy’ and a pat on the helmet on the sideline.

Rice was a little more animated than that. He threw down some big spikes in the endzone, he pointed to the crowd, he played it up some.. nothing like a pre-practiced dance though.
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/27/18 01:49 AM

jmho - didn't Barry Sanders do the same exact thing regarding no celebration... 2 of the best ever.[/color]

Yep, and we can round out the trio with Walter Payton... pretty good company.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/27/18 11:40 AM

Of course its a different era regarding celebrations. But I think JB would have stayed the same, if you remember he would conserve all his energy for the game. Walking back slow to the huddle, mostly to not let the D know how they effected him after hits. Just maintained the same gait back. I doubt he would expend the energy these guys do after scoring. With dancing jumping in the stands etc. Maybe the last play of a Championship game he would celebrate? But I think back in those days any celebration was met with a penalty???

jmho - didn't Barry Sanders do the same exact thing regarding no celebration... 2 of the best ever.

Yeah, it's a different era and frankly a different game. The sponsorship opportunities are incredible and a player needs to stand out to get them...

Not sure about Barry Sanders.. Jerry Rice was without a doubt a low key guy after scoring..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/27/18 02:25 PM
Most of the celebration stuff didn't start until the 90's. You had a few, but not many.

It just wasn't done years back, and is today. Had Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly been playing today, no telling what they would have done.

It is what it is and was what it was.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/27/18 02:43 PM
I think it was, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, that started the endzone celebrations.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/27/18 03:07 PM
One play girl cover is equatable to 10 TD celebrations imo
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/27/18 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I think it was, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, that started the endzone celebrations.

Haha. As soon as I read the post above yours he popped right into my head lol. I remember watching as a kid thinking "what's wrong with him?" Same season, another Cowboy threw a football way into the stands and the announcers said it was a $500 fine... I was in shock. "America's Team" definitely ushered into the new era of celebration chicanery.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/28/18 10:09 PM
I just have a hard time thinking that Brown would do a dance in the end zone.. Just doesn't track for me.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/29/18 02:30 PM
I just have a hard time thinking that Brown would do a dance in the end zone.. Just doesn't track for me.

I get that.. but in the end, if he was a kid of the 90s/00s and that's what he knew, then odds are that's what he would have done...

Instead of being a black kid of the 40s/50s just trying to keep his head down and make it, he would have been a celebrated HS all-american, recruited by everybody to play multiple sports, he would have been wined and dined and pampered....

Different times, different world...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/30/18 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
One play girl cover is equatable to 10 TD celebrations imo

No sure what you mean. I have never thumbed through a Playgirl before.

I'll be honest, I didn't care about the articles in Playboy. I bought it for the pictures.
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 06/30/18 10:01 PM
Yes it was a different world back then, but well past the Pony Express days. They still had radios, TVs, telephones, and news wire services. According to the link below, Jim Brown was recruited by 45 colleges and universities.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/jim-brown

In my many years of observing JB, including encountering him twice as a young boy, the two words I would use to describe him are (1) dignified, and (2) serious. I have a very hard time believing this man would ever dance for anyone. The most exuberance I ever saw him show after a touchdown was to throw the football into the bleachers - one time. Every other time - and he scored 126 TDs - he just flipped the ball to the ref and jogged off the field. Then I remembered his scathing letter to Mike Holmgren when he felt Holmgren had disrespected him with a less than substantial role with the Browns - here's an excerpt:

"But in my conclusion, I’ve never danced in the end zone, I always gave the ball to the referee, so you should know I don’t dance.
Also Mike, I don’t hang out on the Westside of town. I’m an Eastside guy. I play my golf at Highland Golf Course. I don’t go to the Hall of Fame ceremonies, except on occasions, like when Gene Hickerson was inducted, and I felt very proud to be with Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly in showing our respect for his great contribution, and for helping us become great players. I don’t have any trophies in my home on display. I don’t claim to be the best at anything, and I emphatically do not need validation from any man, so I will not participate in your Ring of Honor. . . .

Mike, there’s only one thing that I control in life, and that’s being a man. So let me end with a little humor, because as you say, one monkey don’t stop the show, and as I say “Willie Lynch missed a few of us”, and there will be no Buck Dancing."

From #32

http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/2010/09/questions-about-jim-brown-mike-holmgren-and-randy-lerner/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 07/01/18 01:31 AM
Awesome. And yeah, I did--and still--despise Mike Holmgren.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 07/01/18 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Why? He did such a great job he.....

Rode around training camp in his golf cart ..... looking like a beached whale .....

Oh, never mind. crazy rofl
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 07/01/18 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Of all the people we've seen... he's the one that has let me down the most. I went too high from being excited to too low being what the Hell did we do signing this useless guy. Dude is probably still trying to use his food pass.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield Signs Contract - 07/01/18 10:19 PM
It should have been a clue when he was with Seattle and traded for Charlie Frye.
© DawgTalkers.net