DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: betsie-k9 What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 03:51 AM
Okay, true confession time... I am a man, 57 years old, despite the moniker of betsie-k9 (the best dog ever!!), and I just watched "Slap Shot", courtesy of Netflix, for the first time. Man, if there is another movie out there which captures the life of a "Triple A" team better, I would love to know what it is. Will Ferrell's "Semi-Pro" comes to mind, but maybe you know of a better candidate. Now I know why so many people love this movie. Yes, it sophomoric, ultra-violent, "low brow", whatever, but it had me in stitches throughout, and I wish to hear your suggestions on what to watch next. I thank you already for your recommendations.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 03:56 AM
Raging Bull, Any Given Sunday or Major League depending on the mood.
Posted By: highoman Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 07:42 AM
Bull duram
Rudy
Remember the titans
I'm a sucker for sports movies, but three are at the top:

Hoosiers
Rudy
Field of Dreams
Posted By: jfanent Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 10:18 AM
Another vote for Slapshot. I actually met the Hanson brothers.
Posted By: Dave Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 12:34 PM
I liked Major League, 61, and For The Love Of The Game.

I hated Rudy (don't tase me, bro).

A sports movie that should have been good but wasn't was North Dallas Forty, which was a great book. But come on, Mac Davis as the QB? All 5'7" of him? When he threw the football like Maude?
Posted By: rockdogg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 01:05 PM
The Fortune Cookie.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 01:35 PM
Nobody likes "The Natural"? That's probably my top movie.

I'd probably go with "Major League" #2 and ... hmm, tough call for #3. Maybe "Miracle"?

I really like "Rudy", but there's a few things that kill the movie for me ... the over the top "ridicule" from his family when he's trying to get to Notre Dame and that slow-clap scene near the end of the movie is terrible.
Love The Natural as well. I realize it is hokey and unrealistic, but I love Redford and the movie's redemptive quality.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 02:11 PM
Hoosiers
Rocky
Rudy
Major League, Beerfest, Slapshot, The Natural, Dodgeball, Balls of Fury, Saw II
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 02:41 PM
70's "Rollerball", 80's "Running Man", and, of course, "Blades of Glory".

Karate? Jim Kelly's '74 classic "Black Belt Jones"
Waterboy. It's great for a football fix in the mid spring.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 03:54 PM
Don't understand the Rudy love.

That movie was average, at best, til about 20 min left.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 05:31 PM
Rad - I couldn't get enough of this BMX racing movie when I was about 8 or 9. Put a gyro on my bike after seeing
this movie. Many crashes ensued.

Karate Kid - Love seeing "Daniel-san" pull out the crane move to take down Johnny.

Caddyshack- Carl Spackler: Your place got a pool?
Ty Webb: We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond... Pond'd be good for you.

And…
Judge Smails: I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I
owed it to them.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 06:00 PM
No mention of The Rookie?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 06:06 PM
Quote:

Karate Kid - Love seeing "Daniel-san" pull out the crane move to take down Johnny.

One of the best scenes ever was when Mr Miyagi shows him why he was really doing all that "wax-on" stuff.
Bull Durham
A League of Their Own
Major League
Strange Brew
Caddyshack
Brian's Song
We Are Marshall
Million Dollar Baby
Happy Gilmore

And I know some people would debate these movies are sports movies, but dammit *I* think they are and therefore I can put them here if I want!

Rush
Senna
LeMans
Grand Prix
I can't believe I forgot Happy Gilmore, Strange Brew, and Caddyshack!!
Strange Brew is my favorite of those three. Haven't seen it in YEARS! Hmmm...pretty sure my ex got that one when we split up. Heading to Amazon now!
Posted By: Dave Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 06:50 PM
I'm trying to remember how Strange Brew was a sports movie ... beer pong?
Quote:

Don't understand the Rudy love.

That movie was average, at best, til about 20 min left.

On top of that movie being mostly fictional.

Here's my top 10:

10. A League of their Own - Really underrated as a baseball movie

9. Friday Night Lights - Football movies are hard to make, but this one is probably my favorite.

8. Field of Dreams - If you explained what this movie was about to people, they'd probably tell you it would be terrible, but it's actually really good.

7. The Natural - I always thought that era of baseball was interesting.

6. The Sandlot - It really is the movie that EVERYBODY loves.

5. Hoosiers - There's a lot of cliché and corniness in this movie, but for some reason when it's on I have to watch.

4. Caddyshack - I don't think anything needs to be explained here.

3. Miracle - Greatest sports story ever told. I thought Kurt Russell nailed the role of Herb Brooks.

2. Major League - It's Slap Shot on a baseball field.

1. Slap Shot - I don't know if any sports movie, or maybe even any movie, is quoted as much as Slap Shot. I love that Paul Newman said he developed a bad habit of swearing a lot after doing that movie.

I know I left off some movies that most people would have put in their top movies, Rocky, Remember the Titans, etc... but I've never been huge on those movies. The one I had a hard time leaving off was The Replacements. If they had been able to get the NFL to agree to let them use real teams instead of corny made-up ones, I think people would view it better. It's a fun a movie.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 08:02 PM
Most everything I could think of is already in this thread.. I will just add that I cry just thinking about Brian's Song.
Quote:

I'm trying to remember how Strange Brew was a sports movie ... beer pong?

It's about beer and hockey, ya hoser. Take off, eh!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 08:27 PM
Quote:

Raging Bull, Any Given Sunday or Major League depending on the mood.

I'll go with this.

The Longest Yard
Posted By: Pdawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 09:44 PM
Quote:

The Longest Yard

Original or remake?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 09:56 PM
Rudy, how could it not be this movie? True classic!
Posted By: betsie-k9 Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 10:42 PM
Wow, I have actually seen most of these recommendations. My wife was a little "uncomfortable' when we watched Caddy Shack with my then high school sons, but my boyz got it. My second especially, as he is now attending Miami University (Oxford, OH) on the Evans Scholarship! Ain't life strange...
That's a tough one but these are my top 3:

Field of Dreams (This movie is guaranteed to make me cry during that scene with him and his dad.)
Rudy (How can you not love this movie. Pure determination and heart).
Major League (What's not to like? It's the Indians and its our team!).
Posted By: Tulsa Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 11:00 PM
Better off Dead
Gymkata
Talladega Nights
Gleaming the Cube
Rocky 451 (he's on fire)
Posted By: Hoarddawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 11:25 PM
Reading through this thread, I have seen a lot of these movies, and I like a good majority of them. I want to mention a couple that didn't get mentioned yet...Million Dollar Baby was on the other night, so I watched it for like the 1001st time. I was always told this next one was an awesome movie, but I've never seen it, and since he passed away last week, I went out and bought The Hurricane, which I plan to watch tonight or tomorrow. I was a boxer in my younger days, so I tend to gravitate towards the boxing movies, which reminds me of The Fighter with Mark Wahlberg, which is a true story, and I remember seeing part of this true story on HBO many years before this movie was ever made. HBO did a special on crack, around 1995, in Lowell Mass. and the older brother of Mark Wahlbergs character was on this show, getting high.
And for a good low brow humor, check out Beer League with Artie Lange. I laughed my butt off at this movie! It's about slow pitch softball, and definitely not one to watch with the kids...lol
Posted By: Dave Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/28/14 11:51 PM
Quote:

It's about beer and hockey, ya hoser. Take off, eh!

Hockey, eh? Beauty! Thanks for the reminder, ya hosehead.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/29/14 01:24 AM
A League of Their Own though for a kind of fun movie "Damn Yankees"
Quote:

Quote:

The Longest Yard

Original or remake?

Remake. I forgot there was 2. I wasnt born yet when the original came out
Posted By: Adam_P Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/29/14 02:02 PM
Quote:

Gleaming the Cube

Posted By: dawg66 Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/29/14 02:23 PM
The Color of Money
Major League
Hoosiers
Caddy Shack
The Program
Bull Durham
North Dallas Forty
Radio
Invincible
Varsity Blues
We are Marshall
For Love of the Game
White men can't jump
Glory Road
Semi-Pro
Days of Thunder
Tin Cup
Junior Bonner
I forgot Pride of the Yankees. That's probably one of my favorite old movies.
10. Talladega Nights - "If you don't chew Bid Red, then..."
9. Semi-Pro - Here for many reasons but the "S my C, I'll murder your family" scene might be the greatest cinematic event in the history of the world.
8. Blades of Glory - I laughed a lot
7. Field of Dreams - Freaking classic. Like Sperg said, on paper it doesn't work, but somehow it ends up getting me every time.
6. Caddyshack - the scene between Chevy and Murray in the shed is amazing.
5. A League of their Own - If it's on, I stop to watch. And the "there's no crying in baseball" scene is too perfect.
4. Bull Durham - This one is really, really good. Great action, great characters, great dialogue and great pacing.
3. Rocky - All the sequels ruined how great the original was.
2. Miracle - <insert goosbebumps here>
1. Major League - Come on, do I even have to say anything here?
Gotta go with Major League.

Any of you hockey fans see a newer flick called Goon? I've heard good things but still haven't managed to check it out.
Quote:

Gotta go with Major League.

Any of you hockey fans see a newer flick called Goon? I've heard good things but still haven't managed to check it out.

Yeah, it's good. If you like hockey, you'll enjoy it.

Jay Baruchel (the guy who plays the Goon's buddy) directed the movie. Funny guy, and I could see him being a good director in the future.

It's not Slap Shot or anything, but I enjoyed it.

ps, I would never put my mom on my goalie mask, ahahahaaha
Posted By: logdawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/29/14 03:47 PM
10- Sugar
9- Eight Men Out
8- Miracle
7- Seabiscuit
6- Hoosiers
5- Major League
4- The Natural
3- Cinderella Man
2- A League of Their Own
1- Bull Durham
Quote:

Better off Dead
Gymkata

Epic.
Futuresport.
Some I didn't see that are worth a look...

Goon (8/10) - hockey movie... pretty funny stupid humor about some guy (sean william scott) who has a knack for fighting off the ice and he tries to bring it on the ice to be the goon

Sandlot (9/10) - kids who grew up in the 50's playing baseball everyday for the summer vacation. disney flick. but good movie

Mr Baseball (8/10) - tom sellek.. cant remember alot about it. but i remember being entertained.

Moneyball (9/10) - recent brad pitt.. chronicles oaklands billy bean and how they used saebermetrics to put together a baseball team

Youngblood (9/10) - rob lowe, patrick swayze.. another minor league hockey movie.. one of my favorites as I grew up playing hockey and it has a few iconic scenes in it that I use to play out over and over. Slapshot was the humerous side of playing junior hockey. Youngblood is a more accurate representation.
Quote:

Moneyball (9/10) - recent brad pitt.. chronicles oaklands billy bean and how they used saebermetrics to put together a baseball team

As much as I wanted to really like Moneyball, I ended up just liking it (3 out of 5). I couldn't help wonder why they didn't explain the system in more detail. Maybe it would have made the movie a bit more boring to the average viewer, but they seemed to montage there way through a lot of the system rules (though I got a few of them; runs = wins, hits are as good as walks, don't steal bases, let the other team bunt).
I saw Goon. Honestly, I thought it was depressing.

Slap Shot is one of my all-time favorites. Every summer, I play a hockey tournament in Vegas with a local beer league team called the Chiefs. We have the jerseys and everything. It's a long weekend of hockey, drinking and gambling, and Slap Shot quotes.

Another of my favorite sports movies is The Replacements (football movie with Keanu Reeves playing QB). That movie is just the right amount of goofy.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: What is your favorite sports movie?... - 04/29/14 07:24 PM
Quote:

Moneyball was good, but just "good". It had some good lines and scenes in it, but no real goose-bumpy type moments or straight-hysterical sequences. It also had a lot of really awkward scenes in there that made you wonder why they left it in the movie. Not to mention, it wasn't exactly true to the real story, sort of like Seabiscuit. They had to crunch it down to a single season to fit it into a movie script and they ended up leaving a lot of the "real" stuff out, while making the "reel" version not quite as believable.
Quote:

Youngblood (9/10) - rob lowe, patrick swayze.. another minor league hockey movie.. one of my favorites as I grew up playing hockey and it has a few iconic scenes in it that I use to play out over and over. Slapshot was the humerous side of playing junior hockey. Youngblood is a more accurate representation.

My mom had someone drop his upper plate into her glass when she started dating my dad, and he was playing hockey. I remember her saying how that part of the movie disgusted her.
My rating scale is pretty generous ... < 6 don't waste your time... 7 keeps interest.. 8 I'd watch it again.. 9 have and will watch it again.. 10 great.
J/c

How could I forget Cars! Yes I mean the Pixar movie.
And yes I'm serious about Cars. .. Love it
© DawgTalkers.net