DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:05 AM
VERY fast guy. Pretty raw WR it appears. Looks a little slight and needs polishing, but we need WR speed for sure.
The pizza bagel!
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:07 AM
Yeah drafted purely on speed...I did not care for his tape, and I was hoping he wouldn't grab him...but obviously we needed to improve team speed...and since he's a Brown, hoping he excels!
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:07 AM
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:08 AM
I would lock him in the film room and make him watch Tyreek Hill play wide receiver.
Posted By: jtag Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:10 AM
He will be working with Landry, I see a good upside to this pick.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:10 AM

This man is simply built differently. To be honest, this is a reach at pick 91. Schwartz is the fastest person in this draft, and I don't think it's close. However, he is not a great WR. So, why take a chance on a guy like that? A few reasons.

- Open up this offense. They lacked the ability to let it rip last year.

- Learn from two of the best in the game. Beckham Jr. and Landry can help him get a better feel for the game.

- Diversity. Look at the Chiefs the last three years. They have more speed than they know what to do with.

- Most importantly, you simply cannot expect a CB to matchup with this guy one-on-one. He will fly by every cornerback in the NFL with ease. This means safeties are going to get his attention and will help guys like Beckham Jr., Landry, Hooper, Chubb, and Hunt tremendously.

Taking risks in the NFL draft is not something you want to bank on. However, when you have a team as good as the Browns, sometimes calculated risks are the ones that send you over the top. Schwartz has the speed to help the Browns do just that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:11 AM
Crazy speed. Browns have the enviable luxury of time in developing him as receiver.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:11 AM
He has a world record for track?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:11 AM
I think we’re also banking on him improving a lot (Just like DPJ did last year). He’s got good people to learn from and grow.

He adds a dimension we need. But there’s no doubt this is a lottery ticket type pick
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:13 AM
We needed SPEED. We got SPEED!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:16 AM
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:17 AM
OK....yeah...he is FAST....
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:18 AM
wow
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:19 AM
Does anyone know his 40 time?
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

I believe it was 4.25
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:20 AM

Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:20 AM

Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:21 AM
He fills a need for a speed WR and I like him but I would like this pick a lot more if it was with one of our 4th rounders. There were better players available at this pick.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:22 AM
WOW!! Our own Tyrek Hill!!!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:23 AM
The Browns have gotten much faster tonight smile
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:25 AM
I think they might be thinking he can be OBJ's eventual replacement since I doubt we extend him.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:26 AM
quick question for you guys that watch tape - is he straight on speed or is he speed with shiftiness
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:27 AM
If he turns into a guy who can run but cannot get open and cannot catch,

then the team could have had a better pick going best Cornerback at the time, best LB, best Anything.

A track star?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:30 AM
This pick might not work out. I hate to throw away a 3rd but the reward is too great to pass up imo. We can hopefully use him for jet sweeps and tunnel screens as well as go routes to start.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:30 AM
Originally Posted By: clwb419
quick question for you guys that watch tape - is he straight on speed or is he speed with shiftiness

Straight on speed, often doesn't play to timed speed...does not go over the middle, will fumble with the way he carries...very very raw

Everyone thinks he's tyreek hill, but think more on lines of Richardo Louis lol
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:31 AM
www.walterfootball.com

Anthony Schwartz*, WR, Auburn
Height: 6-1. Weight: 179.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2021): 3-5.

4/26/21: Schwartz flashed at times in 2020, but the Auburn offense struggled to get in rhythm. Schwartz could be a competitive slot receiver in the NFL. He has dangerous speed and could end up being a better pro than college player.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:32 AM
Think about it: OBJ, Landry, Njoku, Chubb, and this kid in on the play...
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:33 AM

He's got a bit of shiftiness to him , he's not just a straight line guy but Eric Metcalf he is not.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:35 AM
When he's lined up at WR the D has to account for him. We needed a guy that can take the top off a D. We got him!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:38 AM
It's going to suck seeing this guy miss find tracking of long balls, if he has a man beat and can't bring anything down.

Blasted@!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:40 AM
Next pick, Get a Football player.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:40 AM
Let's give him a chance please. I have faith in Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski. I'm sure they see something in him they can work with and develop.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
It's going to suck seeing this guy miss find tracking of long balls, if he has a man beat and can't bring anything down.

Blasted@!

Come on man he played at Auburn in the SEC and was pretty productive

2018 Auburn GA. 13 REC. 22 TD 2 YDS. 357 YPC 16.23
2019 Auburn GA. 13 REC. 41 TD 3 YDS. 440 YPC 10.73
2020 Auburn GA. 10 REC. 54 TD 5 YDS. 636 YPC 11.78
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:46 AM
Throws hair is always on fire man. And you are right, they spent a 3rd(!) on this guy to add his phenomenal speed but they must see more to spend that when he might have been on the board for our next pick. He seems/sounds like a blue collar put the work in type but that won't matter if he has hands of stone or falls down every time he looks back for the ball.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:48 AM
jc

When your team is as stacked at all positions as the Browns are, you can afford to take a few risks. wink
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: dawg66

He's got a bit of shiftiness to him , he's not just a straight line guy but Eric Metcalf he is not.

Forrest Gump would be a great comparison.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:57 AM
He's got Gump jiggle.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:58 AM
Did someone in the FO steal your milk at lunch? I don't think they have made a player move you haven't hated.
Posted By: illegalmoe Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:00 AM
Well once again the Schwartz be with us!
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:02 AM
He still has battered Browns fan syndrome and is waiting for the other shoe to fall. The pressure he is creating in his own mind is slowly driving him crazy.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:06 AM
Once he was sure we wouldn't have Pitts or Etienne he went off the deep end.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:07 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think they might be thinking he can be OBJ's eventual replacement since I doubt we extend him.

I don't think so. OBJ is a #1 and I don't see Schwartz becoming a #1. He is a speed guy that we can move around and match up against teams but being the #1 is different. If we need to replace OBJ in a couple of years we will have to draft or sign a real #1.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:17 AM
There is also the hope he might be a return guy... with that kind of speed it would be worth trying him out there. 4.25 speed? 100meters in 10.09? Holy crap is he fast. That is world-class speed for real. Of course, track speed doesn't always work out in the NFL. But I can certainly see why they took a chance on him. If he does work his ass off and learns how to be a decent wr and or return guy? Wow. Plug him in the slot as the third we and look out.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:18 AM
j/c...

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

I don't think so. OBJ is a #1 and I don't see Schwartz becoming a #1. He is a speed guy that we can move around and match up against teams but being the #1 is different. If we need to replace OBJ in a couple of years we will have to draft or sign a real #1.

You don't think a kid with just a few years of football, who has elite speed on a very athletic frame and has caught passes in a BIG conference can't be developed into a number one? I think it's possible but more likely a two or three at best, so we agree. BUT OBJ hasn't that superstar #1 here and at times I have thought he's more like our 4th or fifth except for reps. I mean I know he gets extra attention but that superstar production and the signature plays are just not there. In all fairness he has had a respectable amount of both but has been a bit of a letdown compared to the fans' expectations. I think that is why so many keep looking to trade him.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:33 AM
He's a prodigal "X" receiver... you don't need to run tight routes on the backside... lots of posts/flags/post flags, wheels and streaks... allows jarvis and OBJ to play the other side field... keep the safeties honest.

It's what we lacked playing baltimore..

This whole offseason, it really feels like they're doing what they can to neutralize Baltimore. Not just building a solid defense. But one that can match up and be kryptonite to that team specifically. I'm okay with this.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:40 AM
Browns surprise in third round with receiver Anthony Schwartz, what does it mean?

Terry Pluto

Updated Apr 30, 2021; Posted Apr 30, 2021

CLEVELAND, Ohio – After going defense in free agency and in the first two picks in the draft, Kevin Stefanski now has a new toy for his offense.

In the third round, the Browns grabbed wide receiver Anthony Schwartz, an elite sprinter at Auburn.

Remember GM Andrew Berry’s theme for the offense – speed and more speed. Get faster on both sides of the ball. Schwartz is not a polished receiver. He is more of a guy for whom you seek creative ways to put the ball in his hands and let him run.

Short passes. Jet sweeps. Bubble screens. Browns Assistant GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said Schwartz “jumps off the tape. ... He’s not your typical track guy. He’s got a run after the catch mindset.”

They also can tell him, “Run as fast as you can down the sideline” and then let QB Baker Mayfield heave the ball downfield.

I wanted to paint a picture of 6-foot, 186-pound Schwartz as a gifted but raw athlete because some people could jump to the conclusion, “This means the Browns will trade Odell Beckham Jr.” I doubt that will happen. But if it does, it won’t be because they drafted Schwartz in the third round. This is more of a long-range project, the kind Berry discussed in his various pre-draft interviews.

The GM wants to put together two teams – one for today, another for the next few years. That means drafting and developing players such as Schwartz who aren’t ready for prime time right now.

Don’t misunderstand, he can (and should) have a role at times this season. He ran the ball 42 times in his 3-year career, averaging 7.9 yards per carry and 5 TDs. At Auburn, he didn’t have good QB play to take advantage of his speed.

“He moves at a different speed than everyone else in college football,” wrote Profootballfocus. “He’s the definition of a one-trick pony, as he’s a receiver in name only.”

The Browns believe they have time to teach him more tricks of the receiver trade. They have veterans Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, KhaDarel Hodge and Beckham. They also have the promising Donovan Peoples-Jones heading into his second pro season.

What does this move mean for the Browns? Not much for right now, besides an intriguing talent to develop. But in a few years, who knows?

Speed will always have a place in the NFL.

“Anthony is very, very smart and a quick study,” said Berry. “The theme of Day 2 of the draft is speed. Anthony has world-class Olympic speed. He has all the things we desire to help us stretch the field. His best football is ahead of him.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/05...U72C-S3fRpznJNw
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

You don't think a kid with just a few years of football, who has elite speed on a very athletic frame and has caught passes in a BIG conference can't be developed into a number one? I think it's possible but more likely a two or three at best, so we agree. BUT OBJ hasn't that superstar #1 here and at times I have thought he's more like our 4th or fifth except for reps. I mean I know he gets extra attention but that superstar production and the signature plays are just not there. In all fairness he has had a respectable amount of both but has been a bit of a letdown compared to the fans' expectations. I think that is why so many keep looking to trade him.

OBJ was just starting to click in this offense and get it going when he got hurt. I am hoping that this season he will be the guy we hope he can be. I don't expect him to be the best in the league, but a good solid #1 would be very nice. I think in this offense that is quite possible if he stays healthy(which has been a problem). We shall see. I haven't given up hope yet. But my favorite Browns player is Landry. He WANTS it. He WORKS for it. Landry is a great example for every other player on the team. Go Browns!
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 05:10 AM
I just think it is a round or two early to take a flyer on a player with limited production. He reminds me of a faster and larger version of Travis Benjamin who was a fourth round selection a few years ago.

I can see him running end around and fly patterns, and at least I have not seen any negative comments about questionable hands.

He may be the only player that could outrun Tyreek Hill and Lamar Jackson.

Maybe Baker and Jarvis saw something, and that would add credence to the selection.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 05:13 AM
At this point in the draft it’s not a bad idea to draft traits instead of trying to project what a player will become. We know this dude is fast. You can put him on the field and have him run in a straight line past NFL players. If that’s all he does then the pickup will probably be fine. He’s also only 20 years old and doesn’t have to play right away. Hopefully he becomes more.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 05:31 AM

Watching a couple things... dude catches the ball away from his body. He actually goes out and reaches for it.

This is a good highlight reel that shows a bit of everything he can do. I have a good feeling about him

Man... with Baker's arm and his speed. you'll never have an overthrown ball...

THis is also a guy who will take the heat off of OBJ... he'll be able to clear out space so that you can actually get the ball to OBJ
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 05:44 AM
Nice observation about his technique catching the ball, thanks for the highlight reel. That guy is really, REALLY quick.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 05:45 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 05:53 AM
Not a fan of the pick
The "type!" of player in history often doesn't belong in the NFL, has stone hands, and hurts a roster until they part way, under delivering false hopes & expectaions.

Is what this "type" of player often does.

Schwartz is his own story we'll see how it works out.

I'm not a fan of the pick, scary that the FO would make it.
31 other teams I wish he was on, honestly, would trade tonight for whatever, pick 159, straight up.

Ugh, convince me it's not going to be that bad.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 06:22 AM
This isn't quincy morgan my dude...

Take a look at the footage. Catches away from his body. Goes back to the ball. Has great vision as he moves up field.

He is a little rough around the edges but he's also a guy who will be here in the long term. And with guys like OBJ and Landry to help him out... he could be a starter eventually
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 07:02 AM
I Love Quincy Morgan, don't remind me. I'd love for a Quincy Morgan clone, instead.
This guy ain't 1 /30th QM.
I'm trying to brush this pick out of my mind.
Pretend they picked him up UDFA.

A 2nd Linebacker, Cox Lsu, or a 2nd CB,
Hamlin Pitt, or others, would be real nice for the early 4th round picks.
So would Maybe an OT to replace Kendall Lamm,

or a true form DE to give Joe Jackson DE Browns, competition for lining up opposite Myles Garrett.

Browns have picks 110, and 113 coming up.

Could find a WR too.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 09:13 AM
I Love Quincy Morgan, don't remind me. I'd love for a Quincy Morgan clone, instead.

or a true form DE to give Joe Jackson DE Browns, competition for lining up opposite Myles Garrett.

Could find a WR too.

If you complain about this guy having stone hands, and then say you loved Quincy Morgan, you are 100% a verified troll at this point.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 09:22 AM
He’s not as quick twitch as Hill from KC. He’s not gonna juke you out as much and is definitely not that polished.

But his speed is pretty incredible. And he doesn’t have terrible hands or shy away from contact. That’s a good sign.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 09:45 AM
Schwartz is a solid pick.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 10:59 AM

The Browns are killing this draft.

Andrew Berry is "the Man."

The defense went from poor to elite. Look at the players we added.

Newsome 4.36 speed man corner.

Koramoah the best coverage linebacker period.

Schwartz this guy has warp speed.

Everything we needed we now have through free agency and the draft.

I am on Cloud Nine.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 11:07 AM
He kind of reminds me of Ted Ginn Jr. Unfortunately for him, Auburn's QB did him few favors. Hopefully he can at least wear out some DBs running 9 routes. We should have the speed element covered this season.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 11:12 AM
The highlights against Texas A&M are amazing. This dude might be the fastest player in the NFL. And it sure looks to me like he can catch. Someone pointed out that he is only 20 years old. If he can learn from Jarvis and OBJ, he could be tremendous. I am not going to bash this pick after Berry absolutely stuck the first two rounds.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 12:01 PM
I hear he can get a ticket for speeding in a 25 mph zone, even without a car.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 12:14 PM
Tremendous upside pick. Gotta learn to handfight at the line. Nfl likes press coverage and the kid right now allows defenders to route him. That will make or break his career.

He can be much more than a gimmick. He has pretty good hands, olympic speed, he is always going to the ball not waiting for the ball.

He will learn he doesn't have to sprint every second to be the fastest on the field. The riute running will come.
The key for the small speedsters and track athletes in the nfl is learning how not to get jammed up, to develop the moves to get out into space at speed with as little contact as possible. The DBs in the nfl are a lot more physical and better able to get wrenches in the gears early in the route. The best nfl speedsters are exceptional at keep-away and disguising their routes, jukes and quick acceleration. Pure flat inline speed has been proved not so important if they can’t get free. I don’t know yet if this kid has that or not but I certainly trust our FO judgment over mine. It’s been said more than a few times that we needed a burner in the receivers to spread defenses primarily for OBJ, Landry and the TEs benefit. He’s certainly that.

Also, that end sweep reversal on his highlight reel.... I 100% expect to see that a few times this season with OBJ handing it off to him. I mean, who do you track on that play with those two guys?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 12:24 PM
It appears that not only does he have the sprinter speed to burn, but he also has some quicks. His change of direction appears sudden and that goes well with his acceleration; and he leaves guys diving at air.

I think Go routes and Jet sweeps is where we will see him most; things on the boundary. Where I'd love to see him start to work is the same way KC uses Tyreek and that is drag routes across the middle. That speed on linebackers would be deadly, especially when the defense still has other WRs out there that they have to respect... oh, and Chubb/Hunt, too.. which means he could be a great run play decoy that drags across the middle to make LBs pause just a half second before trying to fill gaps in run support.

If OBJ & Landry start to mentor this kid and teach him the finer points of being a WR and if he REALLY works on his craft, the kid has the makings of something really special. If not, then he can still be useful as a one-trick pony for as long as we can milk some use from that.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 01:14 PM

Before arriving at Auburn, Anthony Schwartz's incredible speed allowed him to develop into a coveted wide receiver and a world-class sprinter simultaneously. Explore his south Florida upbringing in Episode 1 of AL.com's annual documentary series "Road to the Pros." (Wesley Sinor / wsinor@al.com)
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 01:14 PM
The best (maybe) thing I've read about him today came from Berry stating that he is "very, very, smart".

We can see the speed...see the ability to catch the ball (good or bad), and we know he is young.

Now we have a very, very smart guy telling us that the new player is also "very, very smart".
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 01:17 PM

Considered by many to be the fastest player in college football, Anthony "Flash" Schwartz arrives at Auburn and makes a quick impact. In the years that follow, unexpected obstacles force him to make life-changing decisions. Introducing Episode 2 of "Anthony Schwartz: Road to the Pros." (Wesley Sinor / wsinor@al.com)

After leaving Auburn for the NFL Draft, Anthony Schwartz trains in Tampa with Yo Murphy and Randy Moss. He then records the fastest 40-yard dash nationally, increasing his confidence that he has what it takes to compete in the NFL. Introducing Episode 3 of “Road to the Pros.” (Wesley Sinor / wsinor@al.com)

Episode 4 -- May 5
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 01:36 PM
I wouldn't say he hurts the WR room, but he is just WR6, gadget guy to me. Could be a heck of a punt returner though (he's never done that).

Worst case scenario he runs the single-high safety to the parking lot.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

If OBJ & Landry start to mentor this kid and teach him the finer points of being a WR and if he REALLY works on his craft, the kid has the makings of something really special. If not, then he can still be useful as a one-trick pony for as long as we can milk some use from that.

Was thinking about that last night -- that's the real ceiling and floor.

Funny thing is, it's also the "one player away" type pick, just not in desperation, not with a (real) high-value pick, not with big FA dollars.

He's the "one player" that can put our offense over the top. Jet sweeps, misdirection, straight-line threat, whatever it is, there is no "ignoring" that kind of speed, regardless of his current skill-set.

So yes, long-term project that also fills an immediate need. Sounds like a false dichotomy, yet it's not.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:00 PM

My nick name for Anthony Schwartz is:

"Warp Speed"

Watching this guy run it's like he is a blur.

It may take a couple years but when he laerns how to harness the speed into receiver skills.

Look Out.
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:15 PM

Could find a WR too.

You'd rather have stone hands Quincy Morgan? LMFAO rofl

You lost all credibility with that comment dude. notallthere

The fastest player in this draft and good hands? And you complain? LOL catfight
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:21 PM
j/c...

Uh... let's keep Kwesi under wraps and behind the scenes before he gets poached. Wow -- this dude is razor sharp and very well spoken!

Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I hear he can get a ticket for speeding in a 25 mph zone, even without a car.

not to be that guy... but his top speed is about 21 mph... fastest human every (Usain Bolt) was topped out around 28 mph
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:44 PM
Yeah, but every one knows Usain couldn't catch or run routes.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Yeah, but every one knows Usain couldn't catch or run routes.

I think he could catch and run routes... but I think one or two good hits by a safety and he'd be done... smile
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
I wouldn't say he hurts the WR room, but he is just WR6, gadget guy to me. Could be a heck of a punt returner though (he's never done that).

Worst case scenario he runs the single-high safety to the parking lot.

Ya think that will help Jarvis and OBJ?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:47 PM
It would appear he will be replacing Natson IMO. We probably won’t keep more than 6 WRs, especially given Stefanski’s proclivity to keep TE’s

1. OBJ
2. Landry
3. Higgins
4. DPJ
5. Hodge
6. Schwartz
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c...

Uh... let's keep Kwesi under wraps and behind the scenes before he gets poached. Wow -- this dude is razor sharp and very well spoken!

He'll be gone soon. He interviewed for a GM spot this off-season. At least we'll get a pick if he leaves.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: The Collector

Watching a couple things... dude catches the ball away from his body. He actually goes out and reaches for it.

This is a good highlight reel that shows a bit of everything he can do. I have a good feeling about him

Man... with Baker's arm and his speed. you'll never have an overthrown ball...

THis is also a guy who will take the heat off of OBJ... he'll be able to clear out space so that you can actually get the ball to OBJ

Agreed, he high points the ball, catches it with his hands, not his body. He's blazing fast, and shifty. When he sticks his foot in the ground, he instantly gains 3-4 yards on a defender. Works his way through traffic with vision and quickness. He smokes defenders on end arounds and reverses. And, he seems to track deep balls just fine. I like this pick, and the draft so far is stellar. JMHO
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
j/c...

He'll be gone soon. He interviewed for a GM spot this off-season. At least we'll get a pick if he leaves.

Please explain... I had no idea that kind of chicanery existed.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:38 PM
Nevermind, found it... Crazy.

"It's important to note that if the Panthers were to hire Mensah for the position, the Browns would be in line to receive a pair of third round picks with this new rule from the NFL, trying to encourage teams to hire and develop minority front office executives."

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/panthers-kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:47 PM
Wow, didnt know that
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

My nick name for Anthony Schwartz is:

"Warp Speed"

Watching this guy run it's like he is a blur.

It may take a couple years but when he laerns how to harness the speed into receiver skills.

Look Out.

I think Schwartz is more finished than people think. It's not like he has stone hands and can't catch the ball. He has good tape. He was a good player at Auburn playing against good competition.

He will get plenty of snaps and won't just be some gadget player.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:04 PM

Berry:

Everyone else:

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:04 PM
I agree w/your comment about his hands. I was pleasantly surprised watching his clips when it came to his hands. A lot of times I assume speedsters struggle to catch
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 04:19 PM
Auburn WR's are so difficult to judge. I don't know why any top prospect receiver would consider Auburn. Yet we see speedster and other good prospects go there and come out to the draft...somewhat unprepared...Malzahn does his receivers no favors with their limited route tree...run heavy offense. He loves the speed because it pulls the defense back a little to give his RB's to run....WR's are tools and not weapons in the Auburn offense.....

It is unfair to label this kid Ricardo Louis...In fact he seems to be faster and with better hands....But the Auburn school of receiving has put Schwartz behind the same eight ball....If Schwartz is willing and can return kicks....we may have time to develop his route running...or maybe he is a quick study and just hasn't been given the chance to really learn route running....

Yes he pops on the field ...but right now that is because of his physical gifts...lets hope there is football acumen or a large potential for football acumen behind that...
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 09:11 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/contex...auburn-7-games/
check the source, he gives us speed we needed and he's NOT expected to be starter anytime soon. Lastly, he'll get his shot, looking forward to see what he does with it.....GO Browns
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/01/21 11:37 PM
This pick might be more about attitude. A very fast WR from a run first Auburn team, could be a good pick solely on the fact that he will run and stretch the field.

If he doesn't get the ball thrown his way, he might be the type of player who is okay with just running fast and being a pawn for the defense.

Ya know, WR's cry when they don't get the attempts which can cause friction, this might help in more ways then ya think.

Takes a lot off Baker if he knows he has a speedster and not a diva who's going to cry about not getting thrown to every play.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 04:05 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 04:14 AM
-I couldn't run that fast if my butt was on fire, and all the armies of hell were chasing me. crazy
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 05:22 AM
Kid could be our slot reciever. He catches well. He just has to protect himself and his body.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 09:04 AM
Haha his legs look like they’re a cartoon
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

That you can't coach in to a player. Baker better throw the ball just a tad earlier to that dude or he is going to have to stop running to catch it.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 11:21 AM
Last night I watched this 3 part series. I won't link all 3, it's easy enough to follow the links from the first one, and it's about 40 minutes for all of them.

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 09:40 PM
Quote:
Taking risks in the NFL draft is not something you want to bank on. However, when you have a team as good as the Browns, sometimes calculated risks are the ones that send you over the top. Schwartz has the speed to help the Browns do just that.

All of your reasons are valid but I think this is the most important one.

The Browns have always been in the mode of needing to draft guys who could contribute quickly.. we are no longer in that mode. If this guy shows the work ethic and shows improvement, it doesn't matter if it's 2 years before he really rounds into a solid WR... we have enough talent to wait.

In the meantime, we can use him for gadgets and bubble screens and stuff like that just to keep him engaged and active.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 09:45 PM
I believe the coemption on the O-Line in camp and pre season is going to be special ~
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 10:18 PM
Nevermind, found it... Crazy.

"It's important to note that if the Panthers were to hire Mensah for the position, the Browns would be in line to receive a pair of third round picks with this new rule from the NFL, trying to encourage teams to hire and develop minority front office executives."

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/panthers-kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm

The Ravens' already benefited from that, This Year!
(How can the league bend the rules to encourage, and that not be discriminaton to discourage? They Cant, It IS!)
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

All of your reasons are valid but I think this is the most important one.

The Browns have always been in the mode of needing to draft guys who could contribute quickly.. we are no longer in that mode. If this guy shows the work ethic and shows improvement, it doesn't matter if it's 2 years before he really rounds into a solid WR... we have enough talent to wait.

In the meantime, we can use him for gadgets and bubble screens and stuff like that just to keep him engaged and active.

I heard on some broadcast that Randy Moss' advice to him was to slow down, you can't run every rep at full speed.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 10:38 PM
Meaning that receivers need to run the pattern to the timing of the pattern and play. In other words, if the QB is expecting you to cross his field of vision in say 4 seconds to be the 3rd progression when running a crossing route, don't cross the intended point in the play in 2 seconds and make the QB try to find you. He won't have the time at that point. He is bailing to run or is being sacked.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 11:17 PM

Until we drafted him. I didn't know who he was. So, I don't want to pretend to be an expert on him.

Now he is in the NFL. He will get good coaching. He will get to see how refined veterans work. How to build your craft.

After watching his highlight reel. He seems to catch it well. But like any rookie coming into the league. Lots to learn.

But nobody can teach what this guy can do in the forty.

I don't think I have seen someone run that fast. Tyreek Hill forty time is 4.29. Schwartz ran faster at 4.25.

He gobbles up yards. Talk about picking em and putting down. Damn.
Posted By: ThomasE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/02/21 11:58 PM
I counted 3 gear changes during it...you can see them
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 12:43 AM
I think Moss's advice was more to the effect: you can't run every pattern just flat out.

As a receiver, in order to gain separation and set-up cuts and moves in-and-out of your breaks, you need to slow down and vary your speeds.

A receiver that just runs every pattern at full-speed the whole way through is an easy receiver to cover.

Think of how effective a stutter-go route is in creating separation versus just a straight go route.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 12:57 AM
You also need to run your routes at sustainably consistent paces... that pace you can keep up and maintain for at least 15-20 straight reps. The QB will learn that pace, and then you can always go full-tilt if the ball ends up in your hands.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 01:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Meaning that receivers need to run the pattern to the timing of the pattern and play. In other words, if the QB is expecting you to cross his field of vision in say 4 seconds to be the 3rd progression when running a crossing route, don't cross the intended point in the play in 2 seconds and make the QB try to find you. He won't have the time at that point. He is bailing to run or is being sacked.

BUT, if you're fast - if the play design allows for it - a faster WR could run those routes deeper. A coach could also call the exact same play but make that WR the primary and have a much faster release to beat blitzes or to frustrate defenses trying to being pressure.
There are lots of ways to make regular use of the speed without messing up normal timing... .but, this is why they practice.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 10:07 AM
That too, as well as other points brought up.

In a NASCAR race it isn't always about pedal to the metal. Those guys usually crash and lose. You have to pick and choose when to floor it.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 12:22 PM

(Maybe the Browns' Owner wanted his team to have the player with the highest rated speed on A Video game or something and I'll leave it from then on.)

Can't live on a 40 yard dash time in the NFL, and the Bible says, let not your own lips but another mans' praise you, so.

I'd advise A Schwartz, to talk only about his football game from this day on out, never mention his time again, only say he ran "A" time, whatever it was. 4.26,

I'm knowing there are 380 NFL defenders getting paid, that make living not getting beat deep and they'll all be *%*%*%*%* if they are going to let Mr. 426 get by They @$#$@!

I got your 426, right here, How fast does he run with a player wrapped a hand around his waist band the whole play?
Has he been facing this , this TARGET ON HIS BACK, of a 426 40 for the last 3 years at Auburn or only since his pro day?

How well, when the coach lines you up wide on a punt coverage, and two defenders take turns after the punt, blocking you alternating, right off into the sidelines?

How do you overtake Man coverage where the Db turns his back then runs but slows up, on the outside so you run into him, Offensive pass interference?

Does he run delay routes, everybodys' going to be looking for his speed at the snap, run delay routes, start slow, then one outside, then head for the opposite back corner of the end zone and then he can really turn on the jets.

How fast does he recognize when someone is diving at his knees?

Players with straight line track speed get Hamstring injuries and turf toe, is he familiar with either?

I'm sure there is a 6th ranked Db on the Lions or somewhere, fighting to keep his house, that wants to hang around on the team one more week by knocking him down and saying he covered Mr 4.26 40?

A wide receiver, who has one more rushing TD, 7, than receiving TDs' 6, in his college 3 years.

And a target on his back about the 40 time so that every player in the NFL including on the Browns probably wants to say they out played him.
I'd never let anyone talk about it again, there has to be more to his game than that.

That's the challenge, it's an uphill challenge.

How well does he do blocking down on a OLB while holding a corner waiting for a RB to come around the outside?
Can he avoid the illegal crack back penalty?

Simplify, give 4 things to learn all year.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
I think Moss's advice was more to the effect: you can't run every pattern just flat out.

As a receiver, in order to gain separation and set-up cuts and moves in-and-out of your breaks, you need to slow down and vary your speeds.

A receiver that just runs every pattern at full-speed the whole way through is an easy receiver to cover.

Think of how effective a stutter-go route is in creating separation versus just a straight go route.

He seems patient through traffic, comes out of he breaks smoothly, and on go routes DBs cannot keep up. I'm excited about this guy. He may be something we've never seen before on this team in the WR room. I don't want to say Tyreek Hill, because every man is his own man, but someone so freakishly outstanding teams have to game plan just for him.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 02:46 PM
Tyreek is the natural comparison. That's who most closely resembles this guy's abilities.

Tyreek is smaller, which probably helps him be a little shiftier, but this guy can be our version of Tyreek for sure.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 03:42 PM
He reminds me of Travis Benjamin, but even faster.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low, and hope he can have a similar impact/career to Travis. Anything above that is just gravy.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 04:45 PM
Does anyone feel that Schwartz will be tried at Retuner?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 05:50 PM
It would make sense. At PR at least. As has been discussed here recently, the rules have made KR somewhat unimportant.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 07:56 PM
Tyreek is the natural comparison. That's who most closely resembles this guy's abilities.

Tyreek is smaller, which probably helps him be a little shiftier, but this guy can be our version of Tyreek for sure.

If he ends up similar to Teddy Ginn, people around here should be thrilled considering Teddy was a 1st round draft pick. Looks like Teddy averaged a little over 20 receptions a season over his 14 year career.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/03/21 10:06 PM
https://giphy.com/gifs/bye-looney-tunes-running-away-xT39CVCn6Eq8Ve9FZu

Speed to burn smile
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 01:02 AM
Pretend If this guy ran a 4.44, because the NFL is going to reign him in, and then without mentioning his speed,-

Tell me what about his game is likeable??
Um,
1. He ran for as many Td's in College as he Caught. and

2. He's got unlimited potential for improvement.

3. I have nothing else. frown

Is there a list in history of the Track Stars who developed into a WR after they reached the NFL, but didn't develop into a Wr before, while they were still at the collegiate level? List.
#1. ...

(Give him just 4 things to do all year, and then study down hard on refining those 4, best thought on developing. )

( Take care of that hamstring, watch out for that turf toe, the NFL is about blocking and tackling. 3 Years of College football, where is the production.
Hope I'm wrong, I'm just skeptical. Is he a Football player, does he look like a football player? )

( I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?) -Joe vs. the volcano.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 01:16 AM
Make him run an 8 yard deep curl into double coverage at a 1st down yard marker, and do it 13 times in a row.
One drill every practice.

If he is coming away with the ball in his hands X percentage of the time?
Then he may be developing???

An 8 yard curl at 3rd and 7.5 yards to go, into double coverage, how many times does he come away with the ball?

( This was a THIRD ROUND WR pick, work, work, work, tons of work.)

Line him up, run that play 13 times in a row, demand it gets done on a 5:00 constantly ticking clock,
That's NFL speed Mr. 4.26,
and he's got to already know that coming from Auburn,
and he's got to already know that coming from Auburn, so where was the on field production, while at Auburn??

A lot to LOVE but the task of developing a fast guy into a better WR in the trenches when starting at the NFL entry day 1.

IS A Monumental Task!

If Anthony Schwarts can't run a Curl Route effectively, then every defense in the NFL is not going to worry about giving up the 8 yard gain?
NO??
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 09:48 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing where people are inserting him as a starter this year.

He will play because his speed does bring value even if it is simply for decoy. A safety is going to have to shade to his side which opens up other things for other players.

That is how Teddy Ginn made a living all these years.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 11:51 AM

Berry drafted him in the third round.

The reason was clear. Vertical threat and situational use in speed plays like jet sweeps.

They will no doubt look at special teams use.

He shows promise as a pure receiver. Once he is at practice they will see how quickly he picks up route patterns.

Jarvis will be a good mentor. Jarvis knows how to use short area quickness. There is straight line speed and then there is short area quickness to get separation.

Jarvis and Odell can not be Browns for another contract. That is the economics of the game talking. "Ward speed"
has potential.

We will learn what he does with the opportunity.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 12:01 PM
I actually hope he spends most of his mentor-time with Higgins. Higgin's attention-to-detail is a must due to his 'lesser' physical gifts...he gets open as well as anyone and has great hands...without the flair. I'd like Higgins to impart that to Schwartz more than anything OBJ or Landry can 'show' him.

Not suggesting that he stay away from OBJ and Landry...but if Schwartz can emulate anyone - but with his added speed - I'd like that person to be Higgins. JMO.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 12:31 PM
Yeah, I see no way we are relying on him to do anything besides take the top off the defense and maybe get an end around every other week.

We’ll see how he progresses, but he won’t even be a top 3-4 WR
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 12:47 PM
Yup.
He's going to start as a gadget/gimmick guy. Things will not go through him, he will not be the focus of anything. He's a 3rd round pick, so he'll make the roster, but he has to earn the playing time and work himself into various personnel packages to see the field. Only as he proves himself will he be given more and more. If he proves himself capable and competent, then maybe by the end of camp he can have a nice role carved out for himself.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 02:51 PM
I could see him being 4th receiver fairly soon. The guy isn't void of receiving talent. In terms of recent Browns, I could see him being as good as Calloway or Perriman.

The guy can run routes. I think he caught over 50 balls last season at Auburn. All of them weren't WR screens and Fly routes.

Some people are talking like the guy can't run a hook pattern.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 03:26 PM
J/C

I'd be interested to see how he'd do in a deep slant off a play action.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 03:30 PM
From reading some of the later posts I don't think people are judging him on what he did with the opportunities he was given at Auburn. Auburn doesn't pass the ball a lot and they rely mainly on the run.

What I'm seeing posted is people who are judging him more based on the limited opportunities he got in that type of offense much more so than what he actually displayed in the opportunities he was given. He has all of the abilities, skill set and qualities one looks for in a high quality NFL WR.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 03:34 PM
I could see him being 4th receiver fairly soon. The guy isn't void of receiving talent. In terms of recent Browns, I could see him being as good as Calloway or Perriman.

The guy can run routes. I think he caught over 50 balls last season at Auburn. All of them weren't WR screens and Fly routes.

Some people are talking like the guy can't run a hook pattern.

From what little film I've watched he seems to catch with his hands away from his body. He looks like a WR, not just some gimmick.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
I actually hope he spends most of his mentor-time with Higgins. Higgin's attention-to-detail is a must due to his 'lesser' physical gifts...he gets open as well as anyone and has great hands...without the flair. I'd like Higgins to impart that to Schwartz more than anything OBJ or Landry can 'show' him.

Not suggesting that he stay away from OBJ and Landry...but if Schwartz can emulate anyone - but with his added speed - I'd like that person to be Higgins. JMO.

Ted Williams was probably the best hitter in the history of baseball. After he retired, he was a hitting coach, but not a very good one. Hitting came naturally to him. Because he didn't need to learn to be a better hitter, he couldn't teach it.

I don't know how much of that story is truth, but it is one of the legends of baseball. It echoes something that has been proven over and over again. The best coaches are the players who had to learn to be good enough to stay.

Like Willie, I suspect Schwartz will learn more from Higgins than Landry and OBJ. Not that they don't have anything to offer, but Higgins had to learn.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 04:03 PM
That may be true but I do remember when Ted Williams became the Manager of the Washington Senators he really helped Frank Howard out a lot with his hitting.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 04:11 PM
OMG - so refreshing to be nit picking and haggling over the talent and ability of the 4th/5th/6th WR on the depth chart ! What strides we've taken in such a short time.

QB. Set.
RB. Uber Set.
WR Core. Set
TE. Set
OL. Set with some nice depth.

DL. Set with some a few questions.
LB. Improved significantly.
CB. Set and potentially deep.
S. Uber set.

Yes - injuries could happen. Players might regress. Nothing is cast completely in stone ... but, c'mon. It's pretty freaking awesome.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 04:18 PM
I know from preseason that it seemed like the staff wanted to run a lot more sweeps and reverses to the WR's at least when natson was healthy.

I think this guy is going to be a reverse/bubble screen guy early in his career.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 04:31 PM

DPJ had a good rookie year. He has a lot of what you look for. We also have Hodge and Willies.

Schwartz adds a different dimension.

It will be interesting to see how he works out.

If he really hones his craft as a reciever. Look out. No player in the NFL can handle his straight line speed.

Posted By: Jester Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 04:32 PM
I read one of his biggest faults is that he runs all his routes full speed. That he needs to learn to slow down and run routes at pace so he can be at the right spot at the right time then kick it into full throttle once the ball is in the air to track it down and go get it.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
From reading some of the later posts I don't think people are judging him on what he did with the opportunities he was given at Auburn. Auburn doesn't pass the ball a lot and they rely mainly on the run.

What I'm seeing posted is people who are judging him more based on the limited opportunities he got in that type of offense much more so than what he actually displayed in the opportunities he was given. He has all of the abilities, skill set and qualities one looks for in a high quality NFL WR.

That is what some people think but it is a false narrative.
last year Auburn ran 754 plays.

362 passing 48%
392 rushing 52%

So, 30 more rushing plays on the season hardly make them a 1 dimensional team.

That looks pretty balanced if you ask me.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
I read one of his biggest faults is that he runs all his routes full speed. That he needs to learn to slow down and run routes at pace so he can be at the right spot at the right time then kick it into full throttle once the ball is in the air to track it down and go get it.

This is the pros, I'm sure O'Shea will coach him up. For now he is a developmental player. I'm sure he will see the field, but this guy is about next year and beyond
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 05:38 PM
And Schwartz had more receptions than anyone on the team.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 05:45 PM
And Schwartz had more receptions than anyone on the team.

He did. Two others had around 45 each. Schwartz had 54. I couldn't tell you about target numbers.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

No player in the NFL can handle his straight line speed.

That's what I hate about him. No player in the NFL is ONLY straight line speed.
Everybody in the NFL is fast, we've already covered there are 380 defenders in the NFL who know how to with this, just block him into the sideline. (many other moves)

It's not 4.26 vs. a bunch of 4.77 40 players, in the NFL, his speed is going to help him the LEAST of any league in the world,
If That's all he has to rely on , He's DONE!

And I "don't" think he's Travis Benjamin, which I considered about a 2nd tier level of being able to actually make catches vs. good coverage,

But remember when he came out of Miami,(one of the florida schools), that he had caught a fair amount yet had to do so behind other Great WR's who took his opportunities, away.

I looked, Travis Benjamin had 13 Td catches in college.
This guy has 7! or is it 6? it's 6, he RAN for 7.

Anyway, Where is the evidence of polished receiver.

Now,
If they introduce a draft pick and the First 5 things they can say about him is his forty time, and straight line speed, ?

Then that is like hearing about an upcoming Blind Date and the first 5 things you hear about is how much fun her personality is. Ye-ikes.
What Josh Rosen was to quarterbacks
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/04/21 09:41 PM
OMG - so refreshing to be nit picking and haggling over the talent and ability of the 4th/5th/6th WR on the depth chart!

I've done that every year, every single year since 1998. With the exception of 1994 there has been something to nit pick of the 4th/5th/6th WR on the chart, even back to 1986 but there wasn't a wide used internet before 1995.

Browns aren't as stacked as some may say, Ok they are pretty stacked but there are always needs.
Biggest needs today.
1. Kicker,
2, Another DB and Another LB,
3, Backup Quarterback of the future,
4. (Future #1 Tight end #2).- also known as Tight End #4.
5. uhh, The Browns are pretty stacked. thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 01:32 PM
I have already explained to you that this guy is more than straight line speed.

I don't know what else I can tell you.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 02:42 PM
I'm very optimistic and hopefully. I wanted a deep burner and we got one.

The rest remains to be seen. I saw some tape and he was catching with his hands. He was generating separation 'easily' off the line. The competition and demands of the NFL will be a different level and a new challenge. . . there is nothing to indicate he can't make the transition - even if it's a big step.

Calloway and Perriman - two examples of WR that got enough separation on Go routes to make big plays. If Schwartz does nothing else - he's a huge win for the Browns... Pretty sure you mentioned Ginn making a living off being a THREAT ... hoping that Schwartz is going to be a threat that produces too. It's way too soon to be talking Tyreek Hill - but that is the very model that we should be looking to aim for.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 03:23 PM
Berry talked about looking for skillsets and roles for the WR room; that's exactly what Schwartz brings... he has a skillset and the ability to fill a role that was missing in our WR room.

How well he can do that role, what other roles he can grow into, and how quickly and effectively he can do that growing is what remains to be seen.

Ideally, he will fit more than one or two narrowly defined roles so we're not limited in what we do when he's out there.

Like, in addition to running routes and all that, how is he blocking in the Run game? How willingly does he block for other WR in the passing game; what about when the play isn't to his side?
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 05:09 PM
j/c...

The young man will get a chance to perfect his route running skills. A very coachable thing.

As a rookie we can only expect one thing from Schwartz...stretch the field Vertical.

It is said that with rookies they enter the NFL with perfection in ONE ROUTE...the 9 route (go long young man GO LONG!!!).

We also could see some quick screens and of course on running plays he should be running Jet motion which should enhance an extra step for Chubb/Hunt.

I have a question, I have yet to read anything about the young man's hands. Does he have any? If he has good hands (not a body catcher) then all the rest is coachable, and we got a keeper. If he has Quincy Morgan hands (body catcher) then we can expect a similar career.

But having one of the fastest WRs can be interesting especially with our offense as when he is on the field teams must keep 2 safeties deep. Again enhancing our Run Game.

As for just his speed alone one only has to look at the Bengals WR Ross...his career is going NO WHERE.

jmho
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 05:16 PM
All of the film and reports say he has good hands and catches with his hands and not his body. He certainly doesn't have the stone hands of Quincy Morgan.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 05:21 PM
Yup; lots of comments above noting the very same after watching the videos posted here. Looks the ball in, catches with the hands away from the body, etc...
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 05:42 PM
All of the film and reports say he has good hands and catches with his hands and not his body. He certainly doesn't have the stone hands of Quincy Morgan.

Or Greg Little, or numerous other former Browns receivers.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

But having one of the fastest WRs can be interesting especially with our offense as when he is on the field teams must keep 2 safeties deep. Again enhancing our Run Game.

It would also keep safeties deep opening up the underneath passing game.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 06:34 PM
A slightly smaller Mike Wallace than Tyreek Hill to me.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 08:24 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 11:22 PM
I have already explained to you that this guy is more than straight line speed.

I don't know what else I can tell you.

you could tell me he was traded for a ...

I learned something today, I learned John Ross' Bengals had 4.22 speed, whatever. Now, He's not John Ross.

And Nico Collins is not Donovan Peoples-Jones, but there may be a lot of parallels in their careers.

Bengal fan, 5 years ago, told me, trashed talked to me, 'blah blah john ross' blah, I didn't pay attention, I'm not a bengl fan. ( I was like, so what)
Then he tells me 4.5 years ago he tells me he hates John Ross, ( I was like, ya, whatever never gave him much thought)
3 years ago, Bengal fan is trash talking to me, blah blah blah, " and we don't have anybody, John Ross ain't squat, = even trash talking Bengal fan was done with him.

So, today I learned he's got the straight line speed type, and he's on the Giants, so I wiki read, ehh,
he had 2 good games in his career, in 3 bad years.

So. Anthony Schwartz, is "not" a John Ross Clone.
Anthony Schwartz is "not" a Travis Benjamin clone either.
His career parallel, I think looks a little more like John Ross's than Benjamins.

Good luck to him, I'm sure Schwarts is probably better than Khaderal Hodge today, but,

well in the NFL, Getting open, the nuances, the ability to make the catch, the past production, finding space, getting off the line of scrimmage, in and out of breaks, ability to make a block,
and to beat cornerbacks that are faster than him, and stamina,
( And after he runs 3, 60 yard go routes that were decoys, and the next play he's facing a Db who came off the bench with fresh legs, = that DB WILL be faster than him).
All that is necessary for his game to translate into the NFL,
Ross was taken 9th by the bengals in 2017, in 2017 he did nothing, and in the year 2020 he did nothing, and he was recently traded to his 2nd team, the giants.

Now, Schwartz, was drafted by the Browns this past week.
I hope for better results, and if not, then not 3 years to take up a roster spot.

(We don't all have the same eyes when we watch football.)
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 11:36 PM
Anthony Schwartz is not Anthonio Callaway.

I think, if Schwartz wanted to study some of Callaways' tape, thumbsup
Whatever, I'm totally wrong today, and it won't matter later on eventually.

Callaways' highlights screams guy who gets open in breaking away from good coverage deep to bring in the catch. He looks so good you just want to see him get on the field, (nevermind a one year suspension, never mind it, at, all.)
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/05/21 11:48 PM
[quote]Anthony Schwartz is not Anthonio Callaway.[quote]

Thank goodness, might finally have a player who wants to play and help the team win !!!!
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 04:18 AM
I could not think of a less competent college program and QB for Schwartz than Auburn and Bo Nix.

I am optimistic. Even if he's just a deep threat, that's something the Browns do not have. Or didn't have.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 08:50 AM
Been reading all the comments. I have come to the conclusion that Throwlong was dropped on his head as a kid. I use to think he was just a 10 year old but after 10 years reading him he has gotta be at least grown up by now. Then I read today and im reminded...maybe he was dropped as a kid. Ha
Funniest of his quotes on this post is he talks about not liking Shwartz because he likely can't catch then says he LOVED Quincy (Stone hands) Morgan and Shwartz was like a 1/16 or something of what Stone hands was. LoL
Now that makes you reevaluate everything.!!!
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 10:58 AM
J/C

MKC wrote a nice article (she probably had help) about the progress of several of our players both in terms of recovery and development. I considered putting it in the Pure Football forum because it addresses questions about several vets as well as rookies. Link

Jarvis Landry has already had a huge impact on 3rd round WR Anthony Schwartz; Grant Delpit almost fullspeed, their trainer says
Today 5:00 AM
Anthony Schwartz drafted by the Cleveland Browns
Facebook Share
Twitter Share
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- In the weeks leading up to the NFL Draft, receiver Anthony Schwartz’s trainer Mo Wells called his shot, declaring the Browns would draft the world-class speedster.

Sure enough, the Browns selected Schwartz with the 91st pick in the third round out of Auburn and paired him with his new mentor Jarvis Landry, who had worked out with him the previous month at House of Athlete in Weston, Fla., where Wells trains a handful of Browns regularly in the offseason including Kareem Hunt and Grant Delpit.

“I actually did [call it],’' said Wells, Vice President of Professional Sports at House of Athlete told Cleveland.com. “Because certain teams draft a lot of my guys and he had already been here working out with Jarvis. “I said ‘it would kind of be crazy if you just end up going to the Browns and then you’re all actually teammates.’ And here we are a week after that with him headed to Cleveland.’’

Schwartz, who trained with Landry at House of Athlete between his Pro Day March 18th and the week of the draft week April 29-May 1, proclaimed on Twitter, “I swear [Wells] called me going to the Browns. Man it’s crazy.’'

Unfortunately for Schwartz, he missed out on the Browns passing camp conducted at House of Athlete last week by Baker Mayfield and a handful of his teammates, including Landry, Rashard Higgins, David Njoku, Austin Hooper and others.

“That was draft week, so he was out just getting ready for the draft and stuff like that,’' Wells, who ran track at LSU and overlapped a year with Landry. “But they’ll all get together again down here after OTAs.’'

Schwartz was already reunited with Landry this week back at House of Athlete, but with a different mindset now.

“Now that we’re on the same team, we’re going to be able to work even harder with each other,’' Schwartz said on draft night. “Just hope that I can learn some things from him being in the league for around eight years now. He was in the league when I was in middle school. It’s just crazy to see that and crazy to just play with these great guys.”

Wells has already watched Landry pass down his wisdom to Schwartz (6-0, 186), who was ranked the 21st-best receiver in the NFL by The Athletic’s Dane Brugler, who projected him as a fourth-rounder. He was the 15th one off the board.

“Jarvis is a great mentor along with some other veterans we have down here, so he’s always been a great tool for Anthony,’' Wells said. “Now they get to step it up a notch, because you can get even more detailed with those conversations.’'

He said Landry is instilling in Schwartz the attention to detail that has enabled him to become a five-time Pro Bowler.

“It’s being meticulous and having a gameplan every snap that you’re going out on the field facing your opponents,’' Wells said. “A lot of catching techniques, a lot of vision work when it comes to how we catch and how we train.’'

Off-the-field, Landry has been schooling Schwartz on “just how to be a pro, how to attack certain situations, how to attack OTAs, how to attack rookie minicamp, how to attack training camp because it’s a brand new experience for him.’'

He said Landry is also coaching him up “on schemes, learning defenses, learning tendencies from defenses, learning tendencies from individual players, and even learning tendencies from coordinators for what he’ll see.

“Not only has Jarvis been in the game awhile, he’s also learned from people who have been in the game for a long time, so you just have to have a higher level of thinking that comes from being that five-, 10-, 15-year veteran in the NFL.’'

Wells, who’s trained some of the fastest athletes in the NFL, described Schwartz’ blazing speed as ‘phenomenal.’ He set a world youth record with a 10.15 100m in the 2017 Florida Relays and was the 2018 Gatorade national boys’ track and field athlete of the year. At the IAAF U20 world championships in Finland in July, 2018, he took a silver medal in 100m and a gold in 4x100 relay.

“Speed is one thing, but it’s just been teaching him how to control it,’' Wells said. “Being a world-class track athlete, he could’ve probably gone professional either way. It adds a component to the Browns that they haven’t really had. They’ve had some fast guys like Odell Beckham Jr. He’s a fast guy, but he’s not as fast as Anthony Schwartz.’'

Lest Schwartz get a little smug about his speed, he’s got plenty of competition right there at House of Athlete to keep him humble. Schwartz has worked out there with Chiefs receiver Mercole Hardman, who runs a 4.27 in the 40, and Georgia cornerback Eric Stokes, who ran a 4.24 at the Brandon Marshall’s House of Athlete Pro Day in March.

“Eric was the one guy that actually barely beat Anthony this year for Pro Day 40-yard dashes,’' Wells said. “Officially, Anthony ran 4.26 and Eric ran 4.25, and then at our combine event, Eric ran 4.24.’'

Wells is confident that Schwartz, who emulates Kansas City’s Tyreek Hill, will excel in the Browns’ scheme once he adds to his repertoire and puts his game together.

“Absolutely, you get him in a package where you can possibly have a David Njoku on the field with a Jarvis and an Odell, with so much attention going to those guys, it’s hard to defend,’' Wells said. “It’s just like the Chiefs. If that offensive line does what it’s supposed to do, that offense should be explosive.’'

Wells can’t wait to see Schwartz work with Mayfield, especially considering what he saw while working with them during the passing camp.

“They just looked on point,’' Wells said. “It was smooth. Baker looked really good. Jarvis is moving exceptionally well, with us being able to get him almost back to 100%. He battled a couple of minor things last year [coming off the hip surgery], so just making sure that he’s on point and giving him some new tools and weapons from a development standpoint for his game this year.

“It was just good for them to get back together for the first time since the season, and good to see them get back into the rhythm, get that chemistry back between those guys.’'

He saw the improvement as the camp wore on.

“The timing was definitely better a couple of days into it vs. like Day 1 where you’re knocking the rust off,’' he said. “I know they’ll continue to improve.’'

Wells, who works with a team of trainers and medical personnel at House of Athlete, provided updates on some of the other Browns he’s working with regularly:

* Grant Delpit, who’s coming off the ruptured Achilles

“He’s doing exceptionally well. His progress has been phenomenal. We’re just making sure we stay on top of things throughout the rest of the summer. It will be critical those 4-6 weeks after that last phase of OTAs before going into training camp. We’ll wrap things up for him and make sure he’s prepared to play at his highest level probably since his sophomore year at LSU.’'

He said he’s excited to see Delpit make his NFL debut this season.

“He’s pretty on schedule,’' he said. “He’s a little bit ahead. He’s in a good space.’'

* Kareem Hunt

“He’s doing well,’' Wells said. “We’re leaning him out, making sure he’s fast, keeping him healthy, keeping him all together mentally because that’s a big thing. Mental fitness is big for us. It’s a good stable of running backs that he trains with.’'

* Richard LeCounte, the Browns fifth-round safety out of Georgia

“He’s an on-the-field specimen and now that he’s healthy,’' Wells said. “He spent so much of last season hurt [after a motorcycle accident]. He’s also such a great, fun guy to be around. So as long as he’s focused and tuned in on what the team wants and what the team needs and he’s into his training, he’s going to be phenomenal.’'

He said recovering from the injury was tough on LeCounte, “not only from a physical standpoint, but a mental standpoint. You’re used to playing at a high level for so many years and you just can’t do that, so coping mechanisms change, how you attack every day changes and it’s stuff that you’ve just got to fight through. He’s doing a pretty decent job of continuing to fight through it.’'

Much of Wells’ work with the 50 or 60 professional athletes who train with him is on the mental side, but he’s prepared for that too.

“Absolutely,’' he said. “I have a minor in psychology, actually.’'
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 11:47 AM

In addition to this great news.

Berry in his press conference went out of his way to emphasize how intelligent Schwartz is.

Smart, Tough, Accountable.

This guy could be a real gem from this draft.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 12:18 PM
The more I look into this kid...he could be the steal of the draft.

He is a legitimate WR not just a track guy. Hands run good routes and is one of the fastest NFL Player as in EVER!!! he runs fast on tape as well as in shorts. The kid glides and just FLASHES past players as if they are standing still.

Excellent pick up and is the true meaning of you can get a good WR anywhere in the draft!

jmho
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 01:34 PM
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/06/21 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I could not think of a less competent college program and QB for Schwartz than Auburn and Bo Nix.

I am optimistic. Even if he's just a deep threat, that's something the Browns do not have. Or didn't have.

Agreed - you have to think that there is unmapped / untapped potential there to improve on areas of the WR position that he was simply never coached on.

Interestingly - I kept reading "world class speed" and was starting to get irked with the phrase believing it to be hyperbole. . . . I looked up Usain Bolt's 40 time and it is 4.22 so my irkiness at hearing the phrase "world class speed" in association with Schwartz has dissipated. smile
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/07/21 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg

Agreed - you have to think that there is unmapped / untapped potential there to improve on areas of the WR position that he was simply never coached on.

Interestingly - I kept reading "world class speed" and was starting to get irked with the phrase believing it to be hyperbole. . . . I looked up Usain Bolt's 40 time and it is 4.22 so my irkiness at hearing the phrase "world class speed" in association with Schwartz has dissipated. smile

I believe Schwartz actually set a world record as a sprinter in his youth.

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/23018...mmits-to-auburn

Set the world record for a youth in 100m. He is a legitimate world class sprinter.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/07/21 01:16 AM
First play from scrimmage: have him run a 50-yard Go route and let Baker just heave it out there.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/07/21 04:35 PM
j/c...

I'm seeing that Schwartz never returned a kickoff or punt in his college career. That seems rather curious.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/07/21 06:01 PM
Seems to me the best ones to do that are the jitterbug types. Schwartz isn't that.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/07/21 06:03 PM
Seems to me the best ones to do that are the jitterbug types. Schwartz isn't that.

Felton IS. I think he's the man for the job.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/07/21 09:01 PM
Bingo.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 12:27 AM
j/c...
I'm seeing that Schwartz never returned a kickoff or punt in his college career. That seems rather curious.

It would not be curious IF he could not be relied on to secure the ball.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 03:53 AM

It might work. I didn’t think Cribbs was a jitterbug. He was a one cut and straight downhill after that with almost no wasted steps. Not sure if Schwartz will be that but it could work.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 04:02 AM
I am really excited to see this kid in orange and brown. I think he's going to turn into something special.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

It might work. I didn’t think Cribbs was a jitterbug. He was a one cut and straight downhill after that with almost no wasted steps. Not sure if Schwartz will be that but it could work.

It might. I just think the jitterbug type tends to do best. It's all opinion here, so there is no right or wrong answer. It is just the right or wrong guy doing it.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I am really excited to see this kid in orange and brown. I think he's going to turn into something special.

He might, but he was a 4th rounder for a reason. My hope is he becomes a decent player who can command the respect of a safety to cover him over the top. If he does that, a TE up the seam should have a big impact.

Schwartz doesn't have to have huge catch totals to have a huge impact. The game inside the game sort of thing.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 11:47 AM
Quote:
Schwartz doesn't have to have huge catch totals to have a huge impact. The game inside the game sort of thing.

On that really long highlight real, I was expecting to see more than a couple long bombs where Schwartz just blew by the D on his routes. There weren't many of those at all.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 01:23 PM
I see him opening up the middle with his vertical stretch and I vision OBJ catching a slant with a perfectly placed ball by Baker and lots of room to scamper for a TD or even a Skinny Post.

jmho
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 01:28 PM
Actually, he was a 3rd. wink Many high-quality players have been found in the 3rd and beyond. I think Schwartz will be another.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 03:20 PM
I think Schwartz will an asset to our team. He has the tools and is smart. He didn't get the best coaching at Auburn because they are not a pass oriented O. Here he will get better coaching and learn from the WR's.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 06:11 PM
Just because Auburn has a rep. for being a superior running team doesn't mean the receivers don't get quality coaching at the position.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 06:33 PM
j/c...

The whole argument over what disadvantages Schwartz faced at Auburn are overblown. He is a raw, unfinished product. Either he'll make the leap or he won't -- and I don't think it will have one iota of difference what college he went to.

Most shortcomings can be easily coached. He has good hands and knows how to catch a ball, so there are no worries there. He needs to learn how to change gears and use speed to his advantage; easily coached.

The only potential problems are durability (he looks pretty slight), and ball security. I can't find any numbers as to how many times he has fumbled, only one article that stated he needs to take care of the rock "to prevent so many fumbles". How many? Who knows. Maybe someone can find the info -- I gave up.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 07:54 PM
Yet he had more receptions than any other player at Auburn last season.

It sounds as if you're trying to have it both ways. If the disadvantages are being overblown, how can you say their WR with the most receptions is a raw, unfinished product?

I think from a technical standpoint you could qualify most every WR coming out of college as raw to some extent. Very few are what you would consider finished NFL products. But from the way you worded this it sounds like you're saying that Auburn WR's are not at any real disadvantage while trying to devalue their WR with the most receptions. I find that quite puzzling.

Maybe it's just the way I perceived your post?
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 08:28 PM
If the disadvantages are being overblown, how can you say their WR with the most receptions is a raw, unfinished product?

Because I have good eyes lol. Here's what I read in most scouting reports though.

Weaknesses
Just six of his 117 total catches went for touchdowns.
Routes are unfocused and often ineffective underneath.
More quick-game gadget guy than true receiver at this time.
Disappointing effort in scramble mode.
Consistent issues tracking and adjusting to the long ball.
Instincts as a pass catcher are below par.
Needs to become catch-ready more quickly.
Focus and hand strength have been consistent issues.
"catch-and-run specialist"
"needs to develop the desired ball skills"

I don't really see any of that as "uncoachable", so I say "raw" rather than inept.

I think from a technical standpoint you could qualify most every WR coming out of college as raw to some extent. Very few are what you would consider finished NFL products. But from the way you worded this it sounds like you're saying that Auburn WR's are not at any real disadvantage while trying to devalue their WR with the most receptions.

Agree 100% with the first statement, there are only two or three WRs in each draft that translate immediately to great or elite. The funny thing is, usually one or two of them "flew under the radar" to a certain extent and got drafted later than the first round.

Schwartz did what he needed to do at Auburn, he did it quite well if he led the team in receptions. Not trying to devalue him at all, just saying that "making the jump" won't come automatically.

The point I'm really trying to make is that any shortcomings are merely a product of him needing some work and polish to be a real threat in the NFL, and the fact that he does need that has little to do with Auburn's offense. The fact that he led in receptions shows us that his talent wasn't stifled at Auburn.

More than anything, his SPEED is so ridiculous that he was able to be productive without polishing all the other tools in his belt. Transitioning to NFL cornerbacks, NFL schemes and NFL size and strength, will require the other tools -- at least for him to become a Pro Bowl caliber WR.

I think he's more than capable and he will prove to be an absolute steal for the Browns. He's got a good head on his shoulders, more than enough talent around him (coaches and players) to learn and adjust quickly, and seems like he is "ready to work". What more can you really ask for in a 3rd round draft pick?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 08:36 PM
It's obvious to me now after reading your further explanation that my perception of what you were trying to say was flawed. Thanks for clearing that up and I hope you can see how I may have taken your initial post differently.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 08:38 PM
Just to clarify. I do take those who break down players in the draft with a grain of salt. Certainly not gospel. I've read a lot of very good reviews on him from other sources. I'm not claiming who is right and who is wrong here but we'll find out soon enough.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 08:41 PM
No problem! Sometimes it's a matter of knowing what you're thinking but not putting it all in words properly. I'm definitely guilty of that from time to time.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/08/21 08:46 PM
No doubt about that either. Things get waaay over-analyzed. I usually read four or five scouting reports to find a common theme... but then I tend to think all these "gurus" probably just play a little "follow the leader" and just parrot each other.

What's always fun is to look back a couple years later for proof of how terrible they are in their projections, especially among those who weren't "can't miss" first rounders.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 01:35 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 03:22 AM
Players don't just learn to fix those particular weaknesses at the NFL level. There is not enough time in the year to teach a WR how to become a WR, if he is not yet a WR, on an NFL team. If those statements, in your weaknesses report, are true then he won't have a long career.

The problem is, how much time will he keep a real player off the roster because the team is trying to fix what can't be fixed.

(This is an unpopular but if true, necessary to be expressed thought.)

If he can't catch, I don't care how fast he is, he can run right back out into the parking lot.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 12:04 PM
More than likely they know how to block!
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 02:32 PM
My question; what about AB's player acquisition history has people believing he used a 3rd round pick on a one-trick pony?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 03:37 PM
Observations?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 03:42 PM
I have an observation. You posted this....

Quote:
If he can't catch, I don't care how fast he is, he can run right back out into the parking lot.

Yet multiple reports says he has good hands and catches well away from his body. It seems you either aren't reading the thread or aren't paying attention. Not sure which one.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 03:57 PM
Sure Handed, want to guess if his catch percentage per target exceeds that of Elijah Moore, who went to the Jets, from Ole Miss, at all points of his career.
He Was available for the Browns to pick at pick #26.
Or if he's going to have more Td's.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/09/21 04:08 PM
Per catchable ball or per target? There's a difference between a ball thrown in your direction that you can't reach and dropping a pass you should be able to catch.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/14/21 10:01 PM
Browns WR Jarvis Landry guides rookie Anthony Schwartz in early stages of journey
George M. Thomas
Akron Beacon Journal

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...rtz/5085123001/

Browns wide receiver Jarvis Landry spent time before the NFL Draft training with Anthony Schwartz.

The Browns selected Schwartz, a wide receiver from Auburn, in the third round of the draft.

Landry saw Schwartz after the draft and had a message for him, according to the rookie.

The message was “Congrats, get ready to go. We have a lot of big things ahead of us."

That statement came with more valuable advice and guidance after Schwartz’s big day.

“Now that we are on the same team, he would walk me through what to expect,” Schwartz said, “and he can take his time and walk me through the top of the routes and everything that comes with route running and being a successful receiver in the NFL. It has been great to learn all of that from him.

“He has taken me under his wing and he will send me an address and say, 'Meet me here' and we will get some work in there. It is just great to have him. Great to have a guy like that to show me the ropes."

Knowing Jarvis Landry
Just as noticeably, Schwartz, 6-feet, 185 pounds, has a grasp on the status Landry holds on this Browns team.

“Training with a guy like Jarvis is very good from my sense and just for everything really, because he’s a great guy," Schwartz said. "He’s good to be around, he was one of the instrumental players in changing everything and he’s one of the leaders on the team and just how I’ll be able to pick his brain and kind of take some tips from him on what to expect, what they’re expecting out of me and what I can do to improve myself and improve and just making that jump to the next level’s been very good.”

It’s served as a motivator already because Schwartz has adopted Landry’s attitude early on and the rookie, who ran a sub-4.3 40-yard dash prior to the draft, said his goal is to match and surpass Landry in their workouts.

It’s not as if Schwartz doesn’t have an example of how emulating Landry can help.

The Jarvis Landry effect
Second-year receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones worked out with Landry prior to the draft last year, ended up with the Browns and enjoyed what can be called a promising rookie season with 14 receptions for 304 yards, including a couple of clutch catches, in coach Kevin Stefanski’s run and tight-end dominated offense.

“It’s kind of encouraging for me because now I know I’m on the right track,” Schwartz said, “and especially with a guy like Jarvis, it’s the perfect guy to learn from.”

Schwartz’s former college coach, Gus Malzahn, who now coaches at Central Florida, watched the former track star improve in each of his three seasons at Auburn and expects his former player to continue to ascend on the football field despite the fact that there were some who labeled him a “speed” or “track” guy.

“He’s worked very hard to prove himself as a football player,” Malzahn said. “He’s improved each year and that’s why I think his best days are ahead of him … he’s a great competitor.”

Slow start?
No one is going to hold the first day of any practice against a rookie, but whether it was first-day jitters or something else, Schwartz dropped a couple of catchable passes.

Stefanski didn't sound concerned.

"I didn't get to watch him the whole time, but I'll go back and watch the tape. But I think you have to remember these guys who are throwing and catching, that battery of thrower and receiver are doing it for the first time," he said, "so they're not going to have pinpoint precision just yet between the two of them. But he's taking coaching and [receivers] coach [Chad] O'Shea is working him very hard in the meeting room and out there on the field."

What needs work?
Still Schwartz understands there are parts of his game that need to be developed. His speed was a weapon in college and it will be in the NFL to get over the top of defenses, but blocking in the run game is a huge priority in Stefanski’s offense.

“We haven’t talked into depth about that part of the game," Schwartz said. "That’s one of our three keys to playing receiver for us, so I know it’s something I have to improve on.

"It’s something I want to improve on and it will help me get on the field more, help me stay on the field more and I can’t wait to start that part. And I can’t want to see the improvement from my college career to now in terms of a blocking standpoint.”

That is something he can probably pick up from Landry, too. Landry has a reputation of being one of the better blockers at his position in the league and Schwartz said the way Landry teaches in general makes concepts easy to understand.

“He always says, ‘At the end of the day, you’re playing the same game you played your whole life, and you have to do this much more,”’ Schwartz said.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/17/21 02:37 PM
Why was I so negative. (In 1991 ish the Raiders took Rocket Ishmail, Raghab Ishmail, and I feel like it went bad iirc, and 32 GM's learned never to do that again, until the Browns come to set the example for a new generation.) That was in my subconscious mind.

Schwartz is better than Ishmail, he's going to be a great player and a fine receiver. Good Luck and Go Browns. thumbsup
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/17/21 05:05 PM
This is the problem in much of your reasoning. You usually site a single isolated instance from the past to super impose on a current Browns decision or player. You cherry pick the past event to supprt your position and ignore any evidence that might disprove your argument.

The first and most obvious flaw is relying on a single data point as conclusive evidence. Then, you don't account for variables. In this case, offensive, scheme, defensive schemes that players will face, aquarterbacking, or any variance based on the era of play, the lists list goes on.

You certainly have the right to do these things. But readers have the right to judge the validity of your post.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/17/21 06:58 PM
Oops meant for TL.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/17/21 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Oops meant for TL.

Double-oops, unless you meant to "Like" your own post. I'm guessing that was an accident.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/17/21 08:40 PM
I'm not researched enough to cherry pick,
(look at multiple ideas and chose one out, would require I look at any ideas in the first place.

"Single data point" rolleyes I don't use any data points!
Carry on. (coach speak)
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/17/21 09:11 PM
(look at multiple ideas and chose one out, would require I look at any ideas in the first place.

Carry on. (coach speak)

There is a certain amount of irony in your statement..." I didn't use any data points"

I should have just said, "in the example you used to explain your opinion." So, you got me there. Plain language is usually better. It doesn't change my issue with your post. tsktsk
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/18/21 01:02 PM

Carry on. (coach speak)

LOL. Well done, sir.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 05/18/21 07:57 PM
SpaceBalls?!? brownie thumbsup
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/19/21 05:38 PM
I think he is a WR who won't see the field much his first year and will have time to develop. If Landry is pushing him hard and he is willing to bust his but to soak in what he teaches him then he will become successful. The kid has awesome speed and his head on strait along with a good work ethic.

I think he will do well.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/19/21 05:50 PM
I think he will see the field as much as Jones did last year. Maybe a bit less if everybody stays healthy. If nothing else, he brings a decoy factor none of the other possess.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/20/21 04:15 PM
Agreed. Because of his speed the D has to account for him. He can stretch the field which opens everything else up for the rest of our receivers.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/20/21 08:22 PM
IMO.. if our OC see's the defense hogging up the flat, I expect to see Schwartz being told to run like a BOOH for the end zone and pull them out of our TE's way.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 05:19 PM
Agreed. Because of his speed the D has to account for him. He can stretch the field which opens everything else up for the rest of our receivers.

We don't "know" that that is true.^

Can Anybody, point to Anything, Schwartz has done, positive, since he was drafted.

Is he the 274th best WR in the NFL, or lower? Absurd?
Is he the 191st? Is he really? banghead
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 05:23 PM
He is large and fast. Are you saying defenses won't have to pay attention to that?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 05:34 PM
Quote:
Can Anybody, point to Anything, Schwartz has done, positive, since he was drafted.

What has any rookie done that is positive since they were drafted?

I am talking in a football sense, not buying 12 dozen girl scout cookies from some mom selling them for her kid.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 06:27 PM
Tony Fields II signed day one equal to other Browns draft picks first signing.

Demetric Felton was said to be getting open in the 7 on 7s of OTA day 3. per Orange and Brown talk podcast from the Plain Dealer.
talk about the receivers.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 07:25 PM
Schwartz has been to Cedar Point several times, boosting the local economy!

He even raced Top Thrill Dragster...

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 07:56 PM
Tony Fields II signed day one equal to other Browns draft picks first signing.

Demetric Felton was said to be getting open in the 7 on 7s of OTA day 3. per Orange and Brown talk podcast from the Plain Dealer.
talk about the receivers.

Oh, so it's because he hasn't signed. A lot of 3rd rounders haven't signed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

If he misses camp you can get bunched up. Not before.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 08:41 PM
I heard that Newsome was at OTA's, but he hasn't signed, yet, so I wonder if that is even possible. I thought you couldn't attend anything beyond Rookie Minicamp if you didn't have a contract.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 09:41 PM
I heard that Newsome was at OTA's, but he hasn't signed, yet, so I wonder if that is even possible. I thought you couldn't attend anything beyond Rookie Minicamp if you didn't have a contract.

I have no idea.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/21/21 10:59 PM

I think that they can sign an insurance thing to cover them for OTAs. Training camp might be different.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 12:12 PM
Quote:

Can you point to anything any rookie draftee has done?

Yikes,,, that's just crazy thinking
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 12:33 PM

I think that they can sign an insurance thing to cover them for OTAs. Training camp might be different.

I would imagine Training Camp is VERY different in terms of liability.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 04:16 PM
Too many good WRs ahead of him and essentially we are a running team. So TEs FB in the formation a lot.

With our defense (hopefully) studding out we will not be in many situations needing a comeback to got spread or anything.

jmho
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 04:25 PM
In 2020 we ran 495 rushing plays and 502 pass plays. That's as balanced of an offense as one can have. Claiming we are "essentially a running team" is nothing but a popular myth with no basis in fact.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 05:30 PM
Players get talked about every year,
Anthony Henry, iirc, 4th round Db, 20 years ago was being talked up and had a good first year.

Reporters let on about players with good or bad camps.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 05:37 PM
Nick Chubb was a player one year removed from a very serious, possibly career ending injury in college. They talked about him too.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 06:02 PM
Here's the deal, save this.
170 yards in one game? too easy.
170 yards in two games? Still too easy.
3 games? Okay.

I'll leave the board for a week, and include "A Schwartz made a monkee outta me" in my signature until next NFL draft IF!:
(watch the details)
If Anthony Schwartz can get 170 yards in receptions that traveled at least 10+ yards through the air, past the line of scrimmage
In any 3 game stretch,
; not including any yards of runs, returns, or any other plays, and not including passes that did not go 10+ through the air past the line of scrimmage. So no handoff or shovel passes.
; not including spot fouls from pass intereference penalties
in the regular season 2021, which starts at the Chiefs and ends at the end of the Cincinnati game 1/09/2022
and the yardage count must begin at an opening kickoff.

That's 12 quarters plus overtimes, only 14.2 yards per quarter and he can shut my -#@* up!
Late hits? we can count those yards but no pass interference, he has to come down with the ball.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 06:27 PM
So if the QB gives him the ball through the air it counts. If he himself actually creates yards after the catch on a short pass it doesn't count?

notallthere
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 06:45 PM
Plus, I am not sure any receiver on our team had 170 yards receiving in 3 straight games.

I just looked, we didn't.

Neither did Davante Adams, regarded as maybe the best receiver in football. Julio Jones, no.

TL doesn't know what he is talking about.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 06:53 PM
In TLs world, rookie 5th option receivers should have 1000 yard receiving seasons or they're busts.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 07:03 PM
According to him they should have over half of those thousand yards in three games. And even then they would all have to travel in the air for over 10 yards.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 07:09 PM
The receivers have to catch it blindfolded then run uphill, barefoot, to either end zone while it’s snowing, or none of it counts.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 07:11 PM
Oh my, that's 2 catches! That's 2 85 yard catches, if he's Josh Gordon in 2011. If he's all that. hmm whatever, I said what I meant.

People say he's going to break the top off of defenses.
it's not impossible. It's not mountain flipping Everest.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 07:19 PM
Pretty sure they didn't mean a 5th-rounder was going to do that in his rookie year.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 07:24 PM
If I didn't write it clearly understandbable in the first place I'm not talking about 170 in back to back to back games, (510)
NO, I meant 170 accumulated total within the 3.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 08:12 PM
Well.... that IS more reasonable than half of 1k yards in the first three games of his pro career.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 10:40 PM
To be fair, and clear it sounds as if he's saying 170 total yards (under his conditions) in three games. That would only be 57 yards per game. Am I missing something?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/22/21 11:06 PM

I could be wrong.. Been a long time since I looked into that.

But my understanding is that Rookie Mini is covered with some kind of insurance. The team/NFL pick up the tab for any injury.

Mini camps are for those that are actually signed.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 12:56 PM
By that statement shows me you have no clue of what you are talking about. Its not about the amount of plays its about the execution of plays and what our game plan is.

smh...ignorance is bliss, have you on ignore but was curious on what you stated and it was nonsense. If you wish me to go into detail I would but I'm sure you have no desire to learn FOOTBALL.

Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 01:06 PM
Stats are for losers and it was insulting that you would throw out those stats and then say an absurd statement that we were not a running team. Well possibly you don't understand a conversation of real football and all you can comprehend is STATS well how bout these stats.

The BROWNS had the 4th most rushing attempts in the NFL!!

the BROWNS had the 5th LEAST passing attempts in the NFL!

Those are facts and if you cannot understand that we are a running team then there is no use having a conversation about football with you.

I mean by eye you can see games and know we are a running team we are about the RUN!!! pure and simple...go as our OLine and they will tell you.
my goodness your attempt to undermind my post was so important to you that you didn't care if you looked silly willynilly
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 01:36 PM
I saw that as well. I'm trying to quickly find the numbers to back up my assumption that the run/pass ratio did shift over the course of the year. My eyes told me that we were more run/heavy in the beginning of the year and then started to put the ball in the air more as we progressed through the season.

I was hoping a convenient table was out there to easily illustrate my point, but I might have to hack it together myself.

edit: I can't find this, and I'm not invested enough to grab the stats from each game's stat summary and put it all together.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 02:02 PM
NVM, I pulled it together. I don't see as clear of a trend as I expected. I'm going to try to paste a screen shot of the chart with the numbers. I graphed % of rush attempts to total offensive plays (I don't think sacks are included).

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 03:08 PM
Please try to show how we actually used the pass to gain a big lead in several games and used the run later to sustain it and not the other way around so someone can stop sounding stupid with a personal agenda.

Thanks in advance.

We are built to take advantage of our opponents weakness whether that be by the run or the pass. We're not dictated to using either as the base of our offense. And someone claims it's me who doesn't have a clue.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 03:23 PM
Sorry (and I say that with sincerity). I'm not going to pull that together. It took more time than I intended just to get the attempts broken out for each game. It's going to take a lot more hunting to find that broken down further (by quarter is what I assume you're looking for).

I did the per game because my eye was telling me that we were running the ball less at the end of the year than we were at the beginning of the year (as a percentage of total pass and run attempts), but that didn't seem to be the case (I don't think my assumption was true simply based on what the graph looked like). We actually started low vs Balt#1 (probably because we got our butts handed to us early and tried to catch up for a while). Our %rushing attempts trended up for a few games, and then dropped off a cliff, only to then jump to its highest for the season vs Houston. IIRC, we got up early in that game and then wanted to bleed clock(?). We then trended down for the rest of the season until the last 3 games where we bounced up and down.

I don't really see a discernable pattern other than potentially gameplanning vs our opponents and adapting per the momentum of each game.

I'd be more than happy to post a screenshot, but I'm a moron and can't get it to post correctly.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 03:59 PM
I just find it impossible to believe that anyone who watched these games couldn't see how the game plan varied by opponents. And as you yourself seemed to indicate, the flow of the game.

This entire "We'll impose our will on our opponent" is only done by teams that only have one dimension to use. Our team was built with balance. Great investments in both the passing and running game. To claim we focus on only one of those dimensions as the base of our O is foolish.

We finally have a HC who understands how strategy works. That you analyze your opponent and exploit their weaknesses. To think anything less would be selling Stefanski short.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 04:22 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I was one of the "let them know you're running, and then run on them anyway because we can" folks, especially at the beginning of the season. A big part of that was based on my confidence in Baker, but also the embarrassment of riches we have in the run game.

On top of that, as I mentioned, the ratio of pass/run attempts doesn't seem to support any sort of transition to/away from the pass or run as the season went on (as I had guessed). I pointed that out because I didn't think our season totals for rush attempts really told the whole story if we were extra run/pass heavy earlier in the season and then started sliding the other way as we got further on.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Our %rushing attempts trended up for a few games

I'll venture a guess and say that it was a three game weather-game stretch where you saw this.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 07:22 PM

I'll venture a guess and say that it was a three game weather-game stretch where you saw this.

And the Jets game where our entire WR room was out due to stupidity over Covid-19. crazy
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 07:26 PM

And the Jets game where our entire WR room was out due to stupidity over Covid-19. crazy

I thought the same thing, but then looked it up. It seems the Jets were bent on stopping the run, and the running game wasn't up to the challenge...

Mayfield ~ 28-53-285

Run game 18 rushes 45 yards
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/23/21 09:07 PM
We also averaged only slightly over 5 yards/pass attempt, which was anemic for Baker, especially last year.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/24/21 03:07 PM
I went to Team stats of NFL website. I see what you are saying your eyes told you which in my book is KEY wink

It probably is so as the O started to come together the discipline of routes along with us establishing ourselves as a running team so that teams started committing to the run and our play action was now a thing of beauty.

I also get it that we had a numerical balance in Runs and Passes.
But over and over we heard that our OFFENSE is predicated on the run game and establishing the PLAY ACTION PASS!!

We don't need STATS all we got to do is watch the games and we can see us establishing the run with Chubb and Hunt. That didn't mean we didn't throw the ball early. Especially if teams later in the season would game plan to stop the run so obviously the passing game was acceptable.

jmho
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/24/21 03:16 PM
That stats page (and pretty much all others) doesn't break out any stats by game, it just gives the overall average. I was hoping to see a trend after putting each week's stats next to each other, but I didn't. Maybe there were short (3-4 week) trends at points in the year, but that's the extent that I could see.

Again, I'm sorry my technical stupidity is preventing me from posting a screenshot.

The week-to-week numbers (IMO) seem to support the argument that our preference to run or pass more is dependent on gameday factors (opponent strengths/weaknesses and gameplan, weather, momentum of the game... in no particular order)... with the understanding that, compared to the rest of the NFL, we are going to run it A LOT, regardless.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/25/21 02:59 PM
Google exactly what you want just using key words and maybe you will get lucky fingerscrossed
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 05:17 PM
https://www.4for4.com/2021/preseason/anthony-schwartz-low-risk-fantasy-flier-rookie

I wasn't going to copy paste this article because of the star wars stuff until I looked at the diagram of measurable at the very end.
Article about his fantasy value.

I was just looking at that diagram of measurables, seems about as expected, expected, expected,
verticle jump? 12th percentile?

My question is with an Anthony Schwartz type player does a 12th percentile vertical jump limit his potential use in the red zone, even on inside the 10yd line plays,
even all plays in field goal range, plays from the 30 on in, (all plays beyond the 50?)

Answer NO of course not, it just makes it, however, a little bit more puzzling to get him the ball.

Now, also from the article, it claims his short pass production and make something happen paints that type of picture, and I'll say, those kind of plays,
the NFL is the league where those type of plays are best defended on a regular basis.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 05:44 PM

If WRs are consistently having to jump for balls at the 30 to 50 yard lines, as you seem to elude to, maybe their QB needs to be more accurate. I think ours is good enough to keep his WRs feet on the ground and moving forwards. Braylon Edwards had a better vertical. I recall seeing him try to make jump catches on balls thrown at his hip level. Having the hops doesn’t make you a great WR. Much as not having the hops will make you a bad one.
I’ll let the kid hit the field before I start digging into his supposed deficiencies. Much as I’ll hold my praise until he proves praise worthy… except my wishing him well and liking his speed.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 05:52 PM
You don't tend to need to jump as much when you outrun the CB by five yards.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 07:00 PM
You don't tend to need to jump as much when you outrun the CB by five yards.

I basically agree.

The problem these days is QB's rarely lead or over throw a deep ball. I think they are trained to do that.

I understand why. A overthrown ball falls incomplete. A QB laying it up there at least has a chance to be caught or draw a interference penalty..

I guess the thinking is it is up to the receiver to keep the DB from catching it
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 07:49 PM
The whole thing I was trying to diagram with words, does not have anyone jumping up for a ball at the 30.

If the LOS, line of scrimmage is at the opponents 1 yard line, since the end zone is only 10 yards deep, then the room to get behind a defense is only somewhere in that 11 yard window.

If the LOS, line of scrimmage is at a teams own 1 yard line, then the ability to get behind a defense to the back of the other end zone is somewhere in a 109 yard window. (So a little more room.)

But teams always try to get out of the shadow of their own endzone by staying away from a play like that. I figure, a specific type of play, is best suited for about the, 15, ,, if the LOS is from your own 15, to about the 50 yard line,
Maybe 25 to the opponents 40,(35, or 30) either way about 1/3rd of the field- to 40%. (Positive) So 2/3rds of the field, to 60% of the places the line of scrimmage could be, (negative) that one specific route may be off the table.
It doesn't hurt to have a good vertical jump, for the other routes and jump balls on the sidelines and end zone lines.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 09:57 PM
Therein lies the confusion. Schwartz is a run past the defense receiver, and you are talking about a high-point the ball receiver. That's not why they drafted Schwartz. Peoples-Jones is more the high-point guy.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/28/21 10:06 PM
The real joy of this thread will be once we see how they're using him, all the different comments we'll have about how he's a bust because they aren't/won't/can't use him in all these other ways.

We really should just put him out to pasture now and be done with it.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/29/21 03:18 AM
There's DPJ, Njoku, and Hooper to catch balls thrown from the goal line. Not to mention the threat of Chubb and/or Hunt to punch it in.

Schwartz is a potential dimension to this O that wasn't there before he was drafted.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/29/21 01:56 PM
Njoku is our Goal line leaper...

jmho
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/29/21 04:06 PM

I had no idea he was a vegetarian.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/29/21 04:17 PM

I had no idea he was a vegetarian.

He is? Well, now we definitely need to be done with him.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/29/21 05:15 PM
That assumes there will ever be a time we get to see how the team actually uses him.

As Keegan Micheal Keye once said, (What happens when we assume?)
You! Get! The! Answer! Right!!!

(More seriously,) How is his hamstring?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz - 06/29/21 06:11 PM
How is his hamstring?

still wrapped around the deli meat?

I'd say that the best answer, without knowing specifics, is "resting until Training Camp".
© DawgTalkers.net