DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Draft Countdown Off? - 03/26/09 01:03 PM
I thought the draft didn't start until 3:00 p.m., but the countdown thing at the top of the page has it starting at noon. I don't know if I'll be able to function in normal society until such time as it has been fixed.

Then again, I'm not 100% sure I can function in normal society as it is.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/26/09 01:36 PM
I couldn't find any confirmation anywhere as to what time it actually started, so I set it to 12:00 noon.

If there is linkable confirmation that it starts at 3:00pm, I'll get it corrected.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/26/09 03:05 PM
Browns Draft Day Party

I couldn't really find anything concrete, but this shows the Browns' Draft Day Party doesn't start until 3:00, which would lead to the conclusion that that's what time the draft starts.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/26/09 04:36 PM
It's always started at noon in the past.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/26/09 04:39 PM
Quote:

It's always started at noon in the past.

Since they shortened it to just the first 2 rnds on the first day they moved it back to 3:00 so that it was more prime time.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/26/09 09:00 PM
POST DELETED-RUMOR
Posted By: BatDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/27/09 06:16 AM
Quote:

I couldn't find any confirmation anywhere as to what time it actually started, so I set it to 12:00 noon.

If there is linkable confirmation that it starts at 3:00pm, I'll get it corrected.

I looked on nfl.com and could not find anything specific to 3pm, however the GreatBlueNorthReport did have the following in their "Draft Day Primer":

When: April 25-26

Where: Radio City Music Hall, New York City

Time: Starts at 3 PM ET on Saturday and at 10 AM EST on Sunday.

Seating: There is no charge for admission to the event for fans, however, there is limited seating. On the morning of the 26th, the NFL will begin distributing wristbands in lieu of a ticket for entry to the draft on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning at 10 AM ET on the 50th Street side of Radio City Music Hall. All individuals that want a wristband, though, must pick up one in person. The doors to the draft will then open beginning at 1:45 PM ET.

Television coverage: NFL Network and ESPN

Rounds: There are seven rounds; rounds 1-2 go on Saturday; rounds 3-7 on Sunday

The picks: The draft order in the first round is determined as follows: 1) the super Bowl champion has the last regular pick in each round, while the Super Bowl loser has the second last regular pick in each round; 2) the remaining teams are grouped according to won-lost record; if there are both playoff and non-playoff teams within a won-lost grouping, the playoff teams are grouped after the non-playoff teams; 3) non-playoff teams in each group draft in reverse order of their opponents' combined W-L %; 4) playoff teams are also grouped according to strength of schedule, though they are further aggregated by the team(s) advancing the farthest in the playoffs in the same group. Where two teams with the same records and their combined opponents have the same winning percentage, divisional or conference tie-breakers arer applied whenever applicable. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip. In subsequent rounds, the team with the highest pick in the previous round in each won-lost grouping drops to the bottom of that group, while all other teams move up one place.

Compensatory picks are awarded based on a formula the primary factor of which is a team's NET losses of unrestricted free agency the previous year. These picks are added on at the end of the assigned round. As part of the CBA there must be a minimum of 255 players picked at each draft. If the total number of regular plus compensatory picks is less than 255 additional compensatory picks will be awarded to the teams with the highest picks in the first round starting with the team with the very first selection until the 255 number is reached. Assignment of comp picks usually is announced a few weeks before the draft.

Teams have 10 minutes to make their picks in the first round; 8 in the second; and 5 in subsequent rounds. A team going over the time limit may make their pick at any time after the clock runs out, but the team(s) with the succeeding pick(s) may make their picks as their turn indicates.
GBN Draft Day Primer
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/27/09 04:54 PM
IIRC the draft is supposed to start at like 6 or 7pm this year. With the reduction to just the 1st and 2nd rounds on day one, they wanted to put it in primetime.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/28/09 09:56 PM
POST DELETED- BLOG
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/28/09 10:07 PM
Yeah, I knew they were talking about it starting later. I dunno if I can wait that long on Saturday.... I'm gonna get impatient waiting for it to start up.

But it also gives me a lot more time to get the food and stuff ready. It's tough to get set up, pick up pizza and wings and be ready to go by noon like it used to be.
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/29/09 11:56 AM
Television coverage is scheduled on the NFL Network for starting at 4 p.m.

web page
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/29/09 03:01 PM
Quote:

IIRC the draft is supposed to start at like 6 or 7pm this year. With the reduction to just the 1st and 2nd rounds on day one, they wanted to put it in primetime.

That is what I thought.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/29/09 03:47 PM
Quote:

Quote:

That is what I thought.

They want it more primetime but they can't start it that late. If they started at 6:00pm it would be after 1:00am by the time they finished.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:56 AM
The NFL Network draft coverage starts at 4pm

NFL Network says so here:
Posted By: BatDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 04:32 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is what I thought.

They want it more primetime but they can't start it that late. If they started at 6:00pm it would be after 1:00am by the time they finished.

Midnight for just Round one, potentially. I think it was 2007 when the first round took SIX hours EIGHT minutes.

There was talk of having the either the first 10 or 16 picks on Friday evening, primetime. However I don't think the GM's nor the league liked the idea to split up round one. Plus the NFLPA also didn't like it as you could really screw over a guy who went to NY for the draft (i.e. Rodgers or Quinn), there is no way a guy would want to go back on Saturday and wait some more on camera (unless the Commish comes in and rescues them (ala Quinn).

Starting the draft any earlier than 6pm on Friday takes it out of primetime and can hurt the TV ratings. 6pm is not an ideal start time anyway, imo.

Last year was the first time the draft started at 3pm also, the first round did not take long at all, something like three hours, 30 minutes. Of course they shortened the time each team has from 15 to 10 (2007 vs 2008 respectively) in round one, and from 10 minutes to 7 minutes in round 2. I think the whole thing was done on Saturday around 8pm(ish).

My guess is that if this years first round is close to that 3h30m timeframe that in 2010 they will give serious consideration to starting round 1 on Friday at either 7 or 730pm. I think they will consider it a 'trend' that the new time limits are working and thus take the chance to go primetime on Friday. With rounds 2 and 3 on Saturday and then Sunday the finish of 4-7.

Just FYI, (I'd almost forgot this last year) they moved up the SUNDAY start time from 11am EST to 10am EST.
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 10:52 AM
Quote:

Read much? Didn't think so.....
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 10:54 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That is what I thought.

Can any of you peeps saying that you "recall" it going to start at 6 or 7 or 8 throw up a link that says this?????? Where are you hearing this stuff, while ignoring the posted links that say it starts at 4????

Babble babble babble.............
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 12:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If you linked to the same article, your link is bad. Be a grump much? Thought so.
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 01:13 PM
Not a grump, just very sarcastic......and again the board threw in the extra http when I linked......as well as continuing to eat replies here and there.

My deepest and sincerest apologies Saintdawg!
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 01:15 PM
Quote:

just very sarcastic......

You're kidding! It's so unlike you.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:16 PM
Just clicking:

The event isn't even listed at all on Radio City Music Hall's website.
I saw a single bit of text in a Google result that claimed the doors there open at 11am, but the event doesn't begin until 7:33pm... obviously, there is no validity to that as it cannot be confirmed, however it is curious. The time listed for NFL Networks TV coverage is the only thing verifiable at this time. There seems to be a concerted effort to hide this information as it has been more than readily available in all previous years, but it is conspicuously missing everywhere this year. My sincere guess is that the TV coverage will begin at 4:00pm and the draft itself won't start for two, three or more hours after that.... that lets the Draft hit primetime in all four timezones.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:26 PM
That will really suck if the actual draft itself doesn't start until 8 or 9 p.m.. Hell, it's bad enough for geeks like me when it doesn't start until 3 or 4!
Posted By: hungryhound Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:48 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind that the super bowl coverage starts at 12:00 but the actual game does not start until 6:00pm.

There is going to be at least an hour "pregame" in the draft coverage, if not two.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:52 PM
With the way the first round goes, if the draft didn't actually start until 5, that would put the end of the first round at like, what, 10 or 11? Then the second round would likely get up to almost midnight.

Frankly, the only people who really watch the draft are the ones that truly care about their team. I have to think their viewership would be just as good starting the draft at 2 or 3 as compared to starting it at 5 or 6.

But, that's just me. I want it early because I can't stand waiting.
Posted By: hungryhound Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:57 PM
it should not take that long.

here are the rules from last year.;

time changes to the draft in 2008

Time changes for 2008 NFL Draft

NFL.com

The 2007 draft included the longest first round in history, at six hours and eight minutes. It also had the longest first day, with the first three rounds stretching 11 hours, four minutes.

Time allotted for draft picks
Round ---------------Old limit---------- New limit
First -------- ------15 minutes ---------------10 minutes
Second ----------10 minutes ----------------7 minutes
Third-Seventh --5 minutes ------------------5 minutes

As a result, the times allotted for each team to make their picks has been adjusted.

Those changes include:

» Only Rounds 1 and 2 will take place on Saturday. Previously, the first three rounds of the draft were conducted on Saturday.
» The draft will start at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, three hours later than the previous start time.
» The time allocated for each pick in Round 1 will be 10 minutes. Previously, the first round time was 15 minutes.
» The time allocated for each pick in Round 2 will be seven minutes. Previously, it was 10 minutes.
» Round 3 will be moved to Sunday and remain at five minutes per selection. (Rounds 4-7 will also remain at five minutes per pick.)
» Sunday, the draft starts at 10 a.m. ET, rather than 11 a.m. ET.

This year marks the first time in 13 years that the draft has undergone such a significant change in its format. Here is a break down of significant dates and changes in the history of the draft:

Feb. 8, 1936: First NFL Draft is held in Ritz-Carlton in Philadelphia.

1938: Number of Rds is increased to 20.

1943: Number of Rds is increased from 20 to 30.

1947: NFL adds “bonus pick” to be made by randomly selected team (lottery) before 1st round (lasts through 1958).

1960: NFL holds “Secret Draft” to prevent new AFL from signing players (also number of rounds is decreased to 20 from 30).

1967: Implementation of the Common Draft –- joint NFL/AFL draft for the next three years (number of rounds dropped from 20 to 17).

1977: Number of rounds dropped from 17 to 12.

1984: NFL holds all-inclusive Scouting Combine, replacing the three that had existed for 13 seasons.

1993: Number of rounds dropped from 12 to eight.

1993: Compensatory picks first awarded.

1994: Number of rounds dropped from eight to seven.

1995: NFL adopts a Saturday-Sunday format.

2008: NFL moves Round 1 and 2 to Saturday, Round 3 is moved to Sunday; start time is moved three hours later to 3 p.m. ET; time allotted for Round 1 is 10 minutes (down from 15); time allotted for Round 2 is seven minutes (down from 10); start time on Sunday is moved to 10 a.m. ET (was 11 a.m. ET).
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:58 PM
I'm just assuming that each team will take its full time in the 1st round. That puts it at 320 minutes, so just over 5 hours. Maybe it would be less, but we've seen it go pretty darn long before.
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 02:59 PM
Quote:

My sincere guess is that the TV coverage will begin at 4:00pm and the draft itself won't start for two, three or more hours after that.... that lets the Draft hit primetime in all four timezones.

I don't think so. The pre-draft stuff on nflnetwork starts at 0darkthirty and it says the live pick by pick coverage begins at 4 p.m..

If they started any later than that, they would be making selections at 2 in the morning, and the nflnetwork program guide shows a 1st day recap beginning at midnight which would make sense if it starts at 4.

I do agree that it is VERY odd that you can look all over the internet and find little on the start time..........
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 03:03 PM
What Date and Time is the 2009 NFL Draft?
March 03, 2009 by
Nick Meyer

The NFL Draft is basically like the season's Super Bowl for lesser teams and their fans, organizations like the Detroit Lions and Cincinnati Bengals who almost never seem to be able to get over the hump.

The ESPN hype machine is already running at full steam for the 2009 NFL Draft despite the lack of big-name number-one overall pick candidates in this year's draft, simply because fans of NFL teams love to talk football and strategy
with their friends and pretend that they could do a better job picking players than their favorite teams' general managers.

2009 NFL Draft Date and Time

The 2009 NFL Draft will start at 3 p.m. this year, a move the NFL made to push back the timing of the draf to be more towards prime time instead of the familiar old noon start time that was customary. The date of the 2009 NFL Draft is April 25 and also extending to April 26 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

This timing gives fans more time to settle in and to maybe get some chores done early and then they can stick around and watch the draft in its entirety at night instead of feeling like they just wasted a whole afternoon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1529583/what_date_and_time_is_the_2009_nfl.html
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 03:06 PM
The 73rd NFL Draft will be held Saturday and Sunday, April 26-27, at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. This year's Draft will start at 3 p.m. on Saturday and will conclude with the final selection of Round 2. The third round will begin on Sunday at 10 a.m.

Last year's radiocity listing.....
http://www.radiocity.com/events/2008nfldraft.html
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 03:17 PM
3:00pm it is, the script has been updated.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 03:58 PM
The 26th and 26th are Sunday and Monday
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 04:00 PM
The 26th and 27th are Sunday and Monday
Posted By: hungryhound Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 03/30/09 05:03 PM
Quote:

The 26th and 27th are Sunday and Monday

The link is for the 2008 draft and not 2009 draft.

There is nothing concrete out about the time of the draft this year. The best link is the NFL schedule that says the NFL network coverage will start at 4:00 pm, but it seems the only person who knows when Detroit will be down to their last 10 minutes to make their pick is Roger Goodell.
Posted By: shepdawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/01/09 08:32 PM
DRAFT NUDGES CLOSER TO PRIME TIME
Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 9:20 a.m. EDT

Last year, the league tinkered with the centerpiece of the offseason experience — the draft.

Moving it from a 12:00 p.m. EDT start to 3:00 p.m. EDT and reducing the time that teams have to make up their minds in the first round from fifteen minutes to ten (and in round two from ten minutes to seven), the goal was to expand the television audience and generally to make the thing more television-friendly.

This year, the draft will start another hour later, at 4:00 p.m. EDT. (A reader noticed this somewhere, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed it for us.)

The draft will continue to involve two rounds on Saturday and the other five on Sunday.

We continue to believe that the league should move the first half of round one to Friday night, finish round one and conduct rounds two and three on Saturday, and then wrap it up on Sunday. (And we’ll let you know if/when anyone with any real juice ever gives a damn about what we believe.)
web page
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/01/09 09:01 PM
Of course my blog link is the right one.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/01/09 10:03 PM
...and the ticker is updated again.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/02/09 05:56 PM
j/c

I think it would be unfair if they had the first half of the first round Friday night and the second half on Saturday. Say they stop after pick 16. Well, now the team with pick 17 has not 10 minutes for their first round pick, but an entire night! The whole second half of the first round has that "advantage".

I am really getting tired of the league getting more and more money grubbing. Play games in other countries. Expand the regular season. Move the draft around.

What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" I understand you don't want to just sit on your laurels, but this is getting ridiculous.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/11/09 01:05 PM
Well, the draft is in 2 weeks. Has anyone seen an Official start time or are we still stuck at 4 pm when the NFL Network starts coverage?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/11/09 04:16 PM
They don't want us to know when it is.... so we should just skip watching it completely and just find out the news the next day in the paper like we used to.

I figure what the hell... they don't want to tell us when it starts, so maybe I don't want to give them the ratings.... tune in something different that day (or ::gasp:: just go outside).
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/11/09 04:26 PM
Quote:

They don't want us to know when it is.... so we should just skip watching it completely and just find out the news the next day in the paper like we used to.

I figure what the hell... they don't want to tell us when it starts, so maybe I don't want to give them the ratings.... tune in something different that day (or ::gasp:: just go outside).

Snap out of it, Purp!

Why would you skip that!

Though I am perturbed that I have to wait all day for it to start.
Posted By: BradAzz Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/11/09 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure it starts at 4. NFL Network has their TV schedule on their site and it says 4...
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/11/09 07:55 PM
Yeah, I wish it was earlier. 12 may be early, as I usually get some grub and don't want to miss it, but 4 is a bit too late. 1 is a good time to start it, maybe 2. 4 is late.

Gotta figure out how many people are stopping by and then figure out what kind of food to get.
Posted By: BradAzz Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/11/09 09:04 PM
I like the noon starts too, but I'm sure they changed it so the west coasters don't have to watch it at 9 am...
Posted By: Referee1 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/12/09 11:19 AM
Fan guidelines for attending the 2009 NFL Draft

National Football League

The NFL announced procedures for fans wishing to attend the 74th NFL Draft on Saturday and Sunday, April 25-26, at Radio City Music Hall in New York. Rounds 1 and 2 will be held on Saturday beginning at 4 p.m. ET. Rounds 3 through 7 will be held on Sunday beginning at 10 a.m.

The draft is a free event. However, seating is extremely limited.

nfl.com
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/12/09 11:55 AM
This is different wording. Prior to this.. the wording said that "coverage" would begin at 4pm. This could have meant that the NFL Network would begin televising at 4, but as we both know they could babble about it for 2 hours before the first pick

With this.. hopefully they will chat it up for 15 mins, the first pick will be made and in the books by 430pm.
Posted By: BradAzz Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/12/09 02:34 PM
Quote:

With this.. hopefully they will chat it up for 15 mins, the first pick will be made and in the books by 430pm.

I'm hoping the Lions are on the clock at 4...
Posted By: Referee1 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/12/09 09:12 PM
As you previously posted the pre-draft coverage starts at 3 on nflnetwork with "live pick by pick" coverage beginning at 4 so ergo the draft will go live at 4 o'clock if 2+2 =4.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/13/09 12:30 AM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networksch...=04%2F25%2F2009

I followed my link that I posted. Interestingly enough, there is nothing about 3 pm listed. I started at current day and forwarded to the 25th so the afternoon listings would show up..

I copied and pasted the findings below. You are welcome to check the link of course..

I see that coverage starts at 4.. at what time they stop babbling and start picking is still open to interpretation.

Saturday, April 25, 2009
All Times Eastern Fri Thu Wed Tue Mon Sun Sat

6:00 AM PATH TO THE DRAFT Path to the Draft previews the 2009 NFL Draft, providing in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

7:00 AM PATH TO THE DRAFT Path to the Draft previews the 2009 NFL Draft, providing in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

8:00 AM PATH TO THE DRAFT Path to the Draft previews the 2009 NFL Draft, providing in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

9:00 AM PATH TO THE DRAFT Path to the Draft previews the 2009 NFL Draft, providing in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

10:00 AM PATH TO THE DRAFT Path to the Draft previews the 2009 NFL Draft, providing in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

11:00 AM NFL TOTAL ACCESS NFL Total Access previews the 2009 NFL Draft, providing the latest news and analysis from around the league.

4:00 PM 2009 NFL DRAFT [Day 1] Live pick-by-pick coverage and analysis of the 2009 NFL Draft from the Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
Posted By: Referee1 Re: Draft Countdown Off? - 04/13/09 10:39 AM
That's quite odd. When I looked at it a week ago it clearly listed a 3 p.m. slot that listed something other than than "Path to the Draft" that would indicate the serious babbling starts at 3 and the KO of the draft at 4. This, along with the articles listed within the threads on the board that say it starts at 4 along with the nflnetwork schedule that says live pick by pick coverage starts at 4 gave me the 2+2.
© DawgTalkers.net