DawgTalkers.net
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17417366/cleveland-browns-play-starters-preseason-finale

Hue Jackson to play Browns' starters in preseason finale

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns will play their starters in Thursday's preseason finale against the Chicago Bears, coach Hue Jackson said Monday.

It's not typical for a team to use its starters in the final game. Most coaches prefer to rest them to avoid the risk of injury. In last weekend's games, the Dallas Cowboys lost quarterback Tony Romo to a fractured vertebra, and the Baltimore Ravens lost tight end Ben Watson to a torn Achilles tendon.

Jackson, though, feels his team needs more playing time before the season opener Sept. 11 in Philadelphia.

"I think we need to play them," said Jackson, who added he was not sure how long the starters would play, just that they would. "I think we need to get better as a football team."

The Browns have had a rocky preseason. They've been outscored 71-37 in losing three games, and Friday against Tampa Bay trailed 27-10 after the first half.

Quarterback Robert Griffin has thrown five deep passes for 215 yards, but on his other 25 passes, he has thrown for just 67 yards.

Hue's lost his mind! the season is long enough and there is no need to play a starter when Chicago's bottom of the roster players are out there trying to make a big play and a name for themselves.
With Ohio State, it has been said that they do not have a bench, just extra starters.

With our Browns, it is somewhat the opposite. We have a handful of starters and then extra subs before you get to the 2nd string. We cannot start too many starters because we don't have that many. This is a non-story.
Hue is installing a new O and new D and this team lacks chemistry. Not playing his starters would be foolish. I like it and I loved the fact he was playing his starting front 7 in the 4th quarter last week, minus Kirksey. You dont get better by watching guys who arent gonna make the team play.
Yea and they sucked .. Sorry Dawg but but we are so behind the eight ball when it comes to talent ; Especially on the " D " ..
The Browns are going to suck no matter what. Screw it, play 'em all and get a couple of starters hurt.
Play'em... they need the work.
I wouldn't pull them until they score 24 points on O.

On D...I'd start and play the 2nd and 3rd team the whole game, I would let them know that EVERY starters job is in jeopardy. Go take the job if you can.
I just think with the new camp practice rules, you have to play your guys in preseason unless you are already a superbowl contender. We arent a contender. We are a builder and we arent gonna build a better team playing guys that will be looking for work come sunday night.
We are starting players that wouldn't make the practice squad on most teams so yeah who cares.
Personally I think Hue is running a good program. I was really uninspired by the hire at first, did not like the hire... But the more I see the more I like him. Now that doesn't make him a great HC but it does mean something to me.

Some of the coaches that have been through here I couldn't stand and never did like.
I think we're trying something we never have yet, so why not let them try
IF (big) IF...there is decent RT play from somebody...Coleman, Drango...then I think the OL will be good enough to compete.
The read-option is gonna help the run game and the pass protection.

The defense.....
Only one way chemistry is formed. Play em' Hue. I have no problem with this. We'll be going up against non starters so it can help them clean up some things, build confidence and etc.
I think it's a good move to play the starters. There are more teams (good teams) that play their starters in the 4th preseason game then people realize. (Seattle for one)

Plus it's clear the squad needs the reps/build continuity/build confidence through on the field success etc. Griffin, Corey Coleman, Hawkins, Higgins, Drango, Shon Coleman, The entire defense. Special teams.
...We practically are a college team. Get them all the reps they can. We've got a lot of growing to do.

For the more established starters, one solid drive to re-establish their confidence might be beneficial.

Of course, they'll probably look bad, and someone will get hurt. But, that's Browns football in the 21st century.
BE was never the same after running barefoot and having stallworth step on his foot.

we have had players wife stab said player

one claiming he had staff when he had the clap

Hell Desmond Bryant is out for the year because of a mystery.
Watching last years debacle..has me excited for this year...
For what? The first overall pick in the draft?
RG3 is taking us to the playoffs.
Originally Posted By: Swish
RG3 is taking us to the playoffs.

Maybe, but not this year.
i have hope bro.

i mean....it's all i got at this point.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

So, until the Redskins game on October 2nd?
Originally Posted By: Swish
i have hope bro.

i mean....it's all i got at this point.

I really just need to change the title on the site to "Abandon hope, all ye who enter".
Scary. We need the work. D needs a bunch. Injuries for a no-count game can bite you in the bum. I presume we won't see too much of the starters overall.

The early cuts and trades mean we need less film for the final cuts. So let's play this and get on with biz. Hue is fond of getting better and moving forward; is that happening? Not sure I have seen it. Early cuts mean more reps to starters as well. Glad we don't have JFF and another QB controversy. Now I get to focus and obsess over the bad. tongue
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Over/Under week 6 tongue

rofl ..that's one for the books!
I think this team will score points. We have really been captain obvious when running the football thus far and we have actually been pretty good for preseason. hue is gonna make it interesting.

the D isnt very good right now but they will get better as we go. Horton has thrown everything at these kids and at some point it will start sticking.

this will be a fun team to watch but it will have games like against the bucs as well. inconsistency of youth.
I just have to say that our 1st string playing against the opponents scrubs accomplishes very little.

I mean if you're a player, you know you're lining up against scrubs. How does that build confidence? If you're playing against scrubs, how do you know if "you cleaned up" anything?

The only thing I see it accomplishing is trying to cut down on penalties. And even at that, if you were an OL player, how do you know you wouldn't hold against a better opponent?

I don't see any real harm in playing them except the increased chance of injury. I'm just not sure that it will actually accomplish anything.

Players know they won't be playing against high quality players and so do most of the fans. Even in the secondary, it should be much easier to cover non starters.

Sad... but funny.
Linemen can get line calls right, they can get their gaps correct, WR's can work on their reads and routes, the QB can work on their progressions and timing, DB's & LB's can work on coverage technique, etc....

There is a LOT - all of the basics, which we need - that they can work on.
Quote:
I mean if you're a player, you know you're lining up against scrubs. How does that build confidence? If you're playing against scrubs, how do you know if "you cleaned up" anything?

Well, the Bears are not a great team.. so if we can't have success against their scrubs, then that alone will tell us a lot.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I just have to say that our 1st string playing against the opponents scrubs accomplishes very little.

The only thing I see it accomplishing is trying to cut down on penalties. And even at that, if you were an OL player, how do you know you wouldn't hold against a better opponent?

I don't see any real harm in playing them except the increased chance of injury. I'm just not sure that it will actually accomplish anything.

Players know they won't be playing against high quality players and so do most of the fans. Even in the secondary, it should be much easier to cover non starters.

I suppose that means we shouldn't hold practices either. I mean if playing against scrubs doesn't accomplish anything.

We're young in a lot of places, treat it like a practice/scrimmage. Every rep matters for us.
J/c

Do we even know that the Bears starters aren't playing?
I think our first string D verses our first string O would accomplish a lot more than our first string O and D playing against opposing scrubs.
I thought our first string D were scrubs.
hopefully, the Bridgewater fiasco will knock some sense into hue before the game.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
hopefully, the Bridgewater fiasco will knock some sense into hue before the game.

Yes. Especially because our QB also has chicken legs.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

How does a non-contact injury in practice dictate what you do in the 4th preseason game?

In fact, if I'm Hue, this furthers it for me.. it can happen anywhere at any time.. so what difference do 2 more possessions make? It could just as easily happen on the first drive of week 1.. at least if it happens this week, McCown has a week to prepare with the 1s.
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I thought our first string D were scrubs.

Well you finally made a point that's hard to argue. lol
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
We are starting players that wouldn't make the practice squad on most teams so yeah who cares.

Why don't you go to the smack shack and stay there. That is not a legit comment....pure smack.....go away kid.
J/c

not sure if this has been addressed already. But I hope Gordon doesn't play until the 2nd unit is in the game.

The first unit offense needs reps together.

I'm hoping for: Coleman, Pryor and Hawk/ Higgins/ Gabriel to get reps against the Bears first unit defense (whomever the bears choose to play) but would quickly get Pryor out and give those reps to the other receivers
Not too concerned about Gary, but would like to see Hamlett start and for Devalve to get reps maybe a catch or 2.

want to see the starting OL w/ Coleman or Drango

would only give Crow-Duke a handful of carries

The more I think about it, it's better for the Browns purposes for the Bears to sit their starters
I saw where Higgins is 5th on the depth chart.

I thought he was doing well?

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart.html

Maybe drafting all those receivers wasn't such a great idea considering that guys like Hawk and Gabriel look like they are going to make the team. I can see keeping 1 of the receivers on the practice squad, but I can't see holding the three of Higgins, Louis, and Payton.
Peen, keep in mind with Gordon suspended, his spot won't count against the active day roster. I want Moore gone, but here's how opening day could be:

WR
Corey Coleman
Terrell Pryor Sr.
Andrew Hawkins
Taylor Gabriel
Rashard Higgins
Marlon Moore
Josh Gordon (suspended)

Maybe drafting all those receivers wasn't such a great idea considering that guys like Hawk and Gabriel look like they are going to make the team. I can see keeping 1 of the receivers on the practice squad, but I can't see holding the three of Higgins, Louis, and Payton.

apparently there can be such a thing as "too many draft picks."
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

apparently there can be such a thing as "too many draft picks."

especially when we need help at DL and OL... But, maybe that will be all of next year's picks
Can't get any worse
None of the rookie receivers got a lot of work during preseason.
With Coleman out and the focus on developing Pryor and Gordon the rookies were lost in the reps.
But judging by the Gribbles? unofficial stats Higgins and Louis got a lot of action in training camp.

I would guess they both make the roster and Payton goes to PS.

I hope Louis/Higgins get heavy reps vs Chicsgo.

my 6 would be: Coleman, Pryor, Moore, Louis, Higgins and either Gabriel or Prior.

I'm pretty sure pre-season depth charts are next to worthless. Kruger was listed as/was the starter for the first 3 preseason games.

Pretty sure the FO is prioritizing future value over current value, at least it seems to be that way to me. I think that gives our rookies an edge on sticking.

I do somewhat wonder if Hue knew exactly how far the FO was going to go with the lack of concern about being the best team possible this season.
General click

Just so the Team knows. The team has a history of getting players injured in the pre season game versus Chicago.

THEY HAVE A HECK OF A HISTORY OF GETTING PLAYERS INJURED IN THE PRE SEASON GAME VS CHICAGO.

Oh it may have been way back, maybe 15 " regimes" ago when it was Courtney Brown and Kellen Winslow types on the team, but I am talking about, since 1999.

If I recall right, the Browns once had 3 injuries on ONE SNAP!!

But Hey, "dianetics" , or "diagnostics" or "moneyball" or whatever, "value against replacement player" and all that....

Oh, and here is a thought for Coach. Me thinks the Browns could have 10 or 20 pre-season games, and they still aren't going to be any better when the regular season starts, and why?

Because, other teams, keep their team together, know how to play together, and don't blow the whole thing up every 18 months.

If I recall, eeehhh, probably ain't nobody I can think of that's with the Browns who's been there over 18 months.
I think the FO is doing both. Trying to field the best team they can and make sound personnel decisions.
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I think the FO is doing both. Trying to field the best team they can and make sound personnel decisions.

I think they are chalking this year up as a developmental year and trying to get the young guys experience with an eye towards down the road.

I don't see anything wrong with that, though.

If they are neither in the ascending portion of their career arc or on a team friendly deal, they've been given the old "Fare thee well." Tramon is fortunate that our talent at CB seems severely lacking and we need some veteran savvy in the back end of the D.

Whitner, Dansby, and Kruger were all given walking papers, but I'd have to say they would have been amongst the top 53 on our roster as far as this season is concerned.

They aren't trying to see how few games they can win, but I don't think they are really trying to maximize wins this season.

I think Growth is the theme this season.
They didn't draft these guys to give them one training camp and pre-season .. The "older" guys are in trouble ...

And that's the way it should be ... If your going to re-build then burn it down and get it over with to get the best foundation u can for the re-build ...

ED - U can't try and field the best team U can while at the same time make sound personal decisions ..

Cutting Kruger was a smart personal move IMO but it did not help this years football team one little bit .. And I was never a Kruger fan .. EVER ...

So u can't do both .. There MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE .. What were doing is:

Making sound personal decisions with the long term talent being the #1 FACTOR is what we're doing ... And that's the way it should be ..

I think this FO is going to be a DISMAL FAILURE .. But IMO they are doing this the right way .. Don't agree with all there moves like giving our punter away but I can't remember the last time I agreed with everything even the ones I respect in this game do .. Who am I kidding, that's never happened ..

I have no probs with Hue playing the starters ... I'm guessing if they do well it will be a brief showing for most ... Guys like Coleman and different OL combo's need reps .. And these are reps so go ahead and give them to the guys that need them ... And run Gordon from when u put him in (not with the starters, give those reps to Coleman and the kids that will be playing the first 4 weeks .. ) until the final gun sounds ... He needs reps too and these are the last he will get for a month .. It's not a punishment at all .. He needs the work .. And Kessler being forced into action at some point would not be a real shocker to anyone ..
good points
Quote:
good points

LOL.......at first glance, it looks like you are saying that to yourself.
© DawgTalkers.net