Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
The Hamma ...lol. Impeached.

An appropriately sized tool for the size of the hands.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/20/19 03:53 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Trumps Hamma is coming down!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
Your definition of lack is misleading. Lack is more a deficiency than an absence of.

Definition of lack per https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lack

intransitive verb

1 : to be deficient or missing
time is lacking for a full explanation

2 : to be short or have need of something

he will not lack for advisers
The area does not lack for good restaurants.

transitive verb

: to stand in need of : suffer from the absence or deficiency of
lack the necessities of life

She lacked confidence.

lack noun

Definition of lack
1 : the fact or state of being wanting or deficient
a lack of evidence
2 : something that is lacking or is needed

In the synonym section on merriam-webster: absence.

It can mean "not enough" or "not at all."

To claim it only means one or the other is illogical.

I never claimed it didn't mean not enough. Someone else claimed it didn't mean "NO."

We were using the noun so quoting the definition of the verb seemed a waste of space.

Are you claiming a lack of evidence can't mean no evidence now? An absence of evidence?

That's my problem with the impeachment. Not the impeachment itself, but the atrocious arguments using words that make their alleged "facts" false.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You just keep reaching. What you're saying is that after every bit of evidence that could be found was gone over, they could not find anything doesn't really mean anything.

Yet Trump and his cronies insisted the evidence was abundant. The facts were laying everywhere.

That was most certainly proven to be false.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
An appropriately sized tool for the size of the hands.

I wondered how long.
And I wondered who it would be.

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the very definition of contempt of congress says otherwise.

Contempt of Congress
Primary tabs
Definition

Congress has the authority to hold a person in contempt if the person's conduct or action obstructs the proceedings of Congress or, more usually, an inquiry by a committee of Congress.

Contempt of Congress is defined in statute, 2 U.S.C.A. ยง 192, enacted in 1938, which states that any person who is summoned before Congress who "willfully makes default, or who, having appeared, refuses to answer any question pertinent to the question under inquiry" shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum $1,000 fine and 12 month imprisonment.

Before a Congressional witness may be convicted of contempt, it must be established that the matter under investigation is a subject which Congress has constitutional power to legislate.

Generally, the same Constitutional rights against self-incrimination that apply in a judicial setting apply when one is testifying before Congress.
Caselaw

Quinn v. U.S., 349 U.S. 155, 75 S. Ct. 668, 99 L. Ed. 964, 51 A.L.R.2d 1157 (1955).

Fields v. U.S., 164 F.2d 97 (App. D.C. 1947).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/contempt_of_congress

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
The Hamma ...lol. Impeached.

That might still be too big for Trump's hands.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
He'd probably use it like he uses a glass of water.
Two hands.

Grace personified.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It is proper to use two hands when drinking Liberal Tears.

Legend
Legend
ummm...

this: is what Your Boy looks like.

1. All the time.
2. Every day, in American Daily Life.
3. Every day, on the world stage.

He looks like this.
Because he's exactly like this.

And you voted for this.

THIS is now the face of The United States of America on the global stage, and you are the reason why.

thanks, pal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You just keep reaching. What you're saying is that after every bit of evidence that could be found was gone over, they could not find anything doesn't really mean anything.

Yet Trump and his cronies insisted the evidence was abundant. The facts were laying everywhere.

That was most certainly proven to be false.

It means something, just not what you keep saying it does.

You keep speaking in absolutes. I'll grant likelihoods, but you're supposed to need more to convict.

I'll not speak to your newest argument. I hadn't argued against it previously. It's a different, more nuanced argument. I'm not sure I'd seen evidence "laying everywhere" claimed, but I wasn't really looking for it.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the very definition of contempt of congress says otherwise.

Contempt of Congress
Primary tabs
Definition

Congress has the authority to hold a person in contempt if the person's conduct or action obstructs the proceedings of Congress or, more usually, an inquiry by a committee of Congress.

Contempt of Congress is defined in statute, 2 U.S.C.A. ยง 192, enacted in 1938, which states that any person who is summoned before Congress who "willfully makes default, or who, having appeared, refuses to answer any question pertinent to the question under inquiry" shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum $1,000 fine and 12 month imprisonment.

Before a Congressional witness may be convicted of contempt, it must be established that the matter under investigation is a subject which Congress has constitutional power to legislate.

Generally, the same Constitutional rights against self-incrimination that apply in a judicial setting apply when one is testifying before Congress.
Caselaw

Quinn v. U.S., 349 U.S. 155, 75 S. Ct. 668, 99 L. Ed. 964, 51 A.L.R.2d 1157 (1955).

Fields v. U.S., 164 F.2d 97 (App. D.C. 1947).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/contempt_of_congress

The bolded section is what needs to be determined. Legally, it comes down to interpretation of the Constitution. We're in gray area where we're dealing with implied powers vs. explicitly stated powers. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court as currently constituted could side with the president.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The power of impeachment and investigating the grounds of impeachment lays solely in the hands of the house of congress. That's not something you can twist into a debate.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The power of impeachment and investigating the grounds of impeachment lays solely in the hands of the house of congress. That's not something you can twist into a debate.

You're the one doing the twisting.

I'm quoting the law.

I know, it sucks that you can't ignore the parts that you don't like.

You keep making your argument about big picture things, and keep ignoring the loopholes politicians/criminals use to avoid being held accountable.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The part you bolded seems to indicate you don't believe congress has the power to investigate a president for bribing a foreign power to investigate a political rival and help interfere in our elections. That congress doesn't have the right to charge someone with interfering with a congressional investigation.

Nothing in the bold part indicates any of that.

Even the most biased Republican hacks on this board haven't attempted to do that.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The part you bolded seems to indicate you don't believe congress has the power to investigate a president for bribing a foreign power to investigate a political rival and help interfere in our elections. That congress doesn't have the right to charge someone with interfering with a congressional investigation.

Nothing in the bold part indicates any of that.

Even the most biased Republican hacks on this board haven't attempted to do that.

You keep saying interfere in the election. The Democratic nominating process doesn't officially start until February. The reasoning also seems questionable, "he's a politician, you can't investigate him." If he had asked for them to manufacture evidence, that'd clearly be wrong. Asking them to investigate an alleged crime is open to interpretation.

Here's a link with some more of the background issues on who can do what with regards to foreign affairs:

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/us-foreign-policy-powers-congress-and-president

The section on the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (1977) may be applicable.

Congress gave the president the power to place economic sanctions on foreign entities in it.

Basically, the law is kind of all over the place.

Then you get into whether things are legal or political matters.

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Of course I see it now - it's 100% cool and dandy to bribe a foreign government to undermine and smear a political rival, just so long as it's far enough away from the election. Go it. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You keep saying interfere in the election. The Democratic nominating process doesn't officially start until February.

The timing of the democratic nominating process doesn't have a thing to do with it.... Trump tried to get a foreign leader to "say" he was going to investigate Biden for one purpose and one purpose only, Trump needed a boogie man in this election and Biden being under even a fake investigation makes him the Boogie man Trump needs.. Just like Hillary was last time...

If that's not meddling in the election, then nothing is.

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're right. A president having his personal lawyer who has no official capacity in our government being involved in working with a foreign government to cast nasty rumors about a political opponent should be the gold standard of a president and perfectly legal by anyone's standard.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He'd probably use it like he uses a glass of water.
Two hands.

Grace personified.

He needs a sippy cup.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Quote:

You keep saying interfere in the election. The Democratic nominating process doesn't officially start until February.

The timing of the democratic nominating process doesn't have a thing to do with it.... Trump tried to get a foreign leader to "say" he was going to investigate Biden for one purpose and one purpose only, Trump needed a boogie man in this election and Biden being under even a fake investigation makes him the Boogie man Trump needs.. Just like Hillary was last time...

If that's not meddling in the election, then nothing is.

I don't understand why you guys aren't asking for a speedy investigation of Biden, so that it gets cleared up before election time. Now it's going to hang over his head indefinitely. Trump can point to him "avoiding an investigation," and his supporters will eat it up.

An investigation would have cleared Biden (allegedly.) Torpedoing the investigation gives Trump the "boogie man."

Sometimes I forget how idealistic most supporters of the Democrats are. They think things work a certain way because they should work that way and good always triumphs. Unfortunately, this isn't a fantasy kingdom and things aren't perfect/fair/just in the real world.

Our justice system is designed (allegedly) so that innocents don't get locked up (innocence until proven guilty.) Unfortunately, many innocents can't afford competent representation. So, in reality, our system does more to protect rich criminals, who can afford the best lawyers, than poor innocents. The law (and Constitution) is filled with so many loopholes and contradictions, doubt can be established in almost any case with a good enough lawyer. Trump has an army of them.

The whole impartial justice is a myth. People can't just turn off their biases. They can think they are trying, but the biases are still there behind everything.

In a perfect world, Trump would get locked up. This isn't a perfect world. I wish it was. Sadly, we're a far cry from perfect. We're in much more of a corrupted, short-sighted, incompetent, greedy, partisan world.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Because it's already been debunked.....

Envoys pushed to oust Ukraine prosecutor before Biden

https://www.ft.com/content/e1454ace-e61b-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

Not only did our government want the prosecutor removed, but many of our allies did as well. They were working on getting him removed well before Biden did anything.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Because it's already been debunked.....

Envoys pushed to oust Ukraine prosecutor before Biden

https://www.ft.com/content/e1454ace-e61b-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

Not only did our government want the prosecutor removed, but many of our allies did as well. They were working on getting him removed well before Biden did anything.

There's a difference between an investigation and people who agreed with his actions saying it was kosher. There are people in our government and allies who want the current Ukrainian investigators (may have been the prosecutor when Trump's call happened, they seem to go through them pretty quickly) removed. The motives in both cases aren't as clear as is being assumed.

Ukraine is a mess. ...We're a mess politically. Politics are a mess (globally).

Joe's son working in Ukraine looks bad. Conflict of interest seems a legitimate concern. But we shouldn't look into it because Joe looks like a goofy (if grabby) grandpa, so his political allies see him as harmless, and he is a political rival of the sitting president, who intends to run for re-election.

It's easy to assume that one guys motivations are pure and the other's evil. It's harder to prove.

Once the assumptions have been made, it's hard to get past them.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
We are talking about two separate things here. At least in some cases.

I do think that Burisma hired Hunter Biden in hopes it would receive some preferential treatment on the part of the American government. Though I'm not sure what exactly they stood to gain from that.

The article plainly stated that Burisma had already been investigated for two years. Long before Hunter Biden began his time there. There wasn't enough evidence gathered to bring forth any charges against the company.

The article also pointed out why not only our government but also our allies wanted the prosecutor removed. Because he refused to look into prior Ukrainian corruption. He stood in the way of, and added to the distinct corruption that many of the allied nations wanted to rid Ukraine of. The Russian influence that had perpetrated their government.

Quote:
Once the assumptions have been made, it's hard to get past them.

Which means anyone can accuse anyone of anything and they must prove those accusations are false? Even when that's already been proven?

And that's a big problem that we are seeing more and more of.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
FBI director Wray 'deeply regrets' FISA court errors in Trump-Russia probe

FBI Director Christopher Wray said he "deeply regrets" the bureau's mishandling of Russia probe surveillance and outlined a 12-step plan to prevent future abuses, but President Trump on Saturday suggested Wray didn't go far enough.

โ€œChris, what about all of the lives that were ruined because of the so-called 'errors?' " Trump tweeted. "Are these 'dirty cops' going to pay a big price for the fraud they committed?โ€

On Friday, Wray submitted his reform plan to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court after a scathing inspector general report found 17 errors in the FBIโ€™s surveillance application of former Trump campaign aide Carter Page.

โ€œThe FBI has the utmost respect for this [FISA] Court, and deeply regrets the errors and omissions identified by the OIG,โ€ Wray wrote, referencing the Justice Departmentโ€™s Office of the Inspector General report released in December.

In the rare public court filing, Wray acknowledged the report found โ€œconduct that is unacceptable and unrepresentative of the FBI as an institution.โ€

Trump has long accused the FBI and Justice Department of launching an unwarranted, politically motivated probe into his campaign in order to undermine his White House bid. He continues to point to anti-Trump text messages from Lisa Page, then an FBI lawyer, and Peter Strzok, the former FBI head of counterintelligence, as proof the bureau was out to get him.

Despite the errors in the application process, Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz found no political bias or intentional misconduct surrounding the launch of the investigation into Trump campaign ties to Russia.

In the court filing, Wray outlined steps for corrective action, including a new verification form to certify the accuracy of information from informants, and a new checklist for agents to fill out when seeking FISA approval for surveillance to better inform the court of all relevant information.

Wrayโ€™s mea culpa comes after the FISA court chief judge slammed the FBI publicly over its shoddy Page surveillance applications and gave the bureau until Jan. 10 to come up with solutions.

"The FBI's handling of the Carter Page applications, as portrayed in the [Office of Inspector General] report, was antithetical to the heightened duty of candor described above," then-presiding Judge Rosemary Collyer wrote in a four-page court order issued Dec. 17. "The frequency with which representations made by FBI personnel turned out to be unsupported or contradicted by information in their possession, and with which they withheld information detrimental to their case, calls into question whether information contained in other FBI applications is reliable."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fbi-dir...mp-russia-probe

tsktsk

The IG says it wasn't intentional or biased.

I say BS.

Since when was the FBI so inept?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Speaking of screw ups.

Surprise, Surprise: The DOJโ€™s Hillary Clinton Investigation Has Been a Bust

After more than two years, an inquiry into the Clinton Foundation and Clintonโ€™s tenure at State is nearly doneโ€”and thereโ€™s reportedly absolutely nothing to show for it.

Back in 2017, buoyed by President Donald Trumpโ€™s calls for investigations into โ€œCrooked Hillary & the Dems,โ€ the Justice Department launched an inquiry into Hillary Clinton and Republicans' pet conspiracy theories about her and her career. Then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions asked U.S. Attorney John Huber to look into concerns that the FBI hadn't fully pursued cases related to the Clinton Foundation, as well as Clinton's tenure as Secretary of State, including the baseless โ€œUranium Oneโ€ conspiracy theory championed by conservatives. Now, Huber is finally almost finished with his much-vaunted Clinton investigationโ€”and, unsurprisingly, there isn't really anything to show for it.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that after continuing on for more than two years, Huber's investigation โ€œhas effectively ended with no tangible results.โ€ After combing through documents and conferring with federal law enforcement officials looking into the Clinton Foundation in Little Rock, Arkansas, the Post reports that Huber has โ€œfound nothing worth pursuing,โ€ let alone any criminal charges. The U.S. attorney has not yet officially reported any results to the Justice Department, however, and the inquiry is technically still ongoing. But officials cited by the Post say that Huber's years-long investigation has by this point โ€œlargely finishedโ€โ€”and with nothing to show for it.

Despite Republicans' long insistence on Clinton's wrongdoingโ€”and Trump's favorite โ€œlock her upโ€ rallying cryโ€”the fact that the Huber investigation has reportedly been a bust doesn't seem to come as much surprise to those inside the Justice Department itself. Senior Justice officials cited by the Post said that the investigation had largely been viewed as little more than a way to appease Trump and his Republican allies, and officials expected the inquiry was โ€œunlikely to lead to anything of significance.โ€ โ€œWe didnโ€™t expect much of it, and neither did [Huber],โ€ one source told the Post. โ€œAnd as time went on, a lot of people just forgot about it.โ€

The news of the DOJ's fruitless investigation comes just a few months after the State Department completed its own investigation into Clinton's emails and use of a private server, which found that while 38 individuals did commit 91 security violations in emails sent to or from the private server, ultimately the server largely wasn't used for transmitting classified information. โ€œWhile there were some instances of classified information being inappropriately introduced into an unclassified system in furtherance of expedience, by and large, the individuals interviewed were aware of security policies and did their best to implement them in their operations,โ€ a report on the investigation said. โ€œThere was no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information.โ€ Of course, Clinton being cleared of wrongdoing by Trump's own executive branch isn't about to stop the president from bashing Hillary nonetheless. (Never mind the fact that six of Trump's own associates have been convicted of crimes, or that private email use has reportedly been rampant throughout the Trump administration.) Less than an hour after the Post report came out, Trump was back on the campaign trail attacking Hillary, repeating his favorite 2016 talking points to a crowd of supportersโ€”Clinton's innocence be damned. โ€œCrooked Hillaryโ€”you should lock her up, I'll tell you,โ€ Trump told supporters.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/01/hillary-clinton-justice-department-investigation-results

Clinton Emails: Closing The Loop On A Prominent Story

I wrote last week about what we in my office informally call "missing stories," those stories that NPR listeners and readers feel have been under-covered. Newsrooms have to set priorities, of course, and they can't cover everything. But this week's "missing story" is a particularly notable omission.

Late Friday, Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley released a letter he had received from the State Department earlier in the week, in which the department said it had concluded its investigation, begun in 2016, into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's emails. The quick takeaway from the report, as reported by AP: The investigation found "no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information." It did find that 38 current or former employees, in 91 cases, sent classified information (some of it classified after the fact) that ended up in Clinton's personal email. Some of them may face discipline.

NPR intensely covered the Clinton email issue prior to the 2016 election. And it covered this most recent development in the 3-year-old saga, but you wouldn't know that from looking at NPR.org, as a reader pointed out to the Public Editor's office. There's no digital story. No newsmagazine report. Astute listeners would have heard reports in six newscasts, at 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. (all ET) on Friday, Oct. 18, and at 2 a.m., 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. Newscast transcripts are not archived online, however.

To any NPR news consumer who didn't happen to catch a newscast, most of which were in off hours, this important development in the story is invisible.

Newsroom leaders told me they stand by the decision to cover the story only in the newscasts, given the crush of other important news and an exceedingly stretched staff.

"It was a combination of things: timing and stretched resources and in the scheme of all the news of late, it just didn't rise up to our re-allocating resources. A judgment call, but not one that we would second guess given all the other things coming over the transom," Edith Chapin, NPR's vice president and executive editor, told me in an email.

Sarah Gilbert, NPR's vice president for news programming, added (by email): "That part of the week's news agenda was dominated by reaction to [acting White House Chief of Staff Mick] Mulvaney admitting and then retracting quid pro quo on Ukraine, the Doral G7 announcement and reversal, and the crisis in Syria. In this context, newscast coverage of a 9-page State Dept. report that concluded 'there was no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information' was adequate."

Are all those other stories important? Yes, and arguably far more newsworthy at this time when the president faces an impeachment inquiry. And the State Department finding perhaps felt anti-climactic, given that the FBI had already long ago closed its own investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server, saying there was no criminal act. NPR covered that at the time.

Those affected most by the new development are the senders of the now-classified emails. That said, as recently as Sept. 30, NPR had prominent reports in both Morning Edition and All Things Considered about how the State Department had revived the probe, contacting about 150 current or former employees whose emails had ended up in Clinton's private email. The net effect of that action, and NPR's reporting on it, was to keep alive an issue that President Trump has used to stir up his supporters against Clinton in particular and Democrats in general.

The end ofยญยญยญยญยญยญ the State Department's investigation is a final period on the whole saga that got so much attention in the lead-up to the 2016 election. I think NPR has an obligation here to close the loop after three years (or at least on the newsmagazine reports from Sept. 30). Since there's no other report in the NPR online archive, this one will have to do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/publicedito...prominent-story

The witch hunt is over and even Trump's own henchmen couldn't find anything on Hillary. In fact it was Michael Flynn who was calling for the cheers of lock her up at the GOP convention in 2016.

He is now awaiting sentence.

Yes 40, the hamma is falling on the deep state. You're just having trouble understanding who the deep state is.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Speaking of screw ups.

Surprise, Surprise: The DOJโ€™s Hillary Clinton Investigation Has Been a Bust

After more than two years, an inquiry into the Clinton Foundation and Clintonโ€™s tenure at State is nearly doneโ€”and thereโ€™s reportedly absolutely nothing to show for it.

Back in 2017, buoyed by President Donald Trumpโ€™s calls for investigations into โ€œCrooked Hillary & the Dems,โ€ the Justice Department launched an inquiry into Hillary Clinton and Republicans' pet conspiracy theories about her and her career. Then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions asked U.S. Attorney John Huber to look into concerns that the FBI hadn't fully pursued cases related to the Clinton Foundation, as well as Clinton's tenure as Secretary of State, including the baseless โ€œUranium Oneโ€ conspiracy theory championed by conservatives. Now, Huber is finally almost finished with his much-vaunted Clinton investigationโ€”and, unsurprisingly, there isn't really anything to show for it.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that after continuing on for more than two years, Huber's investigation โ€œhas effectively ended with no tangible results.โ€ After combing through documents and conferring with federal law enforcement officials looking into the Clinton Foundation in Little Rock, Arkansas, the Post reports that Huber has โ€œfound nothing worth pursuing,โ€ let alone any criminal charges. The U.S. attorney has not yet officially reported any results to the Justice Department, however, and the inquiry is technically still ongoing. But officials cited by the Post say that Huber's years-long investigation has by this point โ€œlargely finishedโ€โ€”and with nothing to show for it.

Despite Republicans' long insistence on Clinton's wrongdoingโ€”and Trump's favorite โ€œlock her upโ€ rallying cryโ€”the fact that the Huber investigation has reportedly been a bust doesn't seem to come as much surprise to those inside the Justice Department itself. Senior Justice officials cited by the Post said that the investigation had largely been viewed as little more than a way to appease Trump and his Republican allies, and officials expected the inquiry was โ€œunlikely to lead to anything of significance.โ€ โ€œWe didnโ€™t expect much of it, and neither did [Huber],โ€ one source told the Post. โ€œAnd as time went on, a lot of people just forgot about it.โ€

The news of the DOJ's fruitless investigation comes just a few months after the State Department completed its own investigation into Clinton's emails and use of a private server, which found that while 38 individuals did commit 91 security violations in emails sent to or from the private server, ultimately the server largely wasn't used for transmitting classified information. โ€œWhile there were some instances of classified information being inappropriately introduced into an unclassified system in furtherance of expedience, by and large, the individuals interviewed were aware of security policies and did their best to implement them in their operations,โ€ a report on the investigation said. โ€œThere was no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information.โ€ Of course, Clinton being cleared of wrongdoing by Trump's own executive branch isn't about to stop the president from bashing Hillary nonetheless. (Never mind the fact that six of Trump's own associates have been convicted of crimes, or that private email use has reportedly been rampant throughout the Trump administration.) Less than an hour after the Post report came out, Trump was back on the campaign trail attacking Hillary, repeating his favorite 2016 talking points to a crowd of supportersโ€”Clinton's innocence be damned. โ€œCrooked Hillaryโ€”you should lock her up, I'll tell you,โ€ Trump told supporters.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/01/hillary-clinton-justice-department-investigation-results

Clinton Emails: Closing The Loop On A Prominent Story

I wrote last week about what we in my office informally call "missing stories," those stories that NPR listeners and readers feel have been under-covered. Newsrooms have to set priorities, of course, and they can't cover everything. But this week's "missing story" is a particularly notable omission.

Late Friday, Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley released a letter he had received from the State Department earlier in the week, in which the department said it had concluded its investigation, begun in 2016, into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's emails. The quick takeaway from the report, as reported by AP: The investigation found "no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information." It did find that 38 current or former employees, in 91 cases, sent classified information (some of it classified after the fact) that ended up in Clinton's personal email. Some of them may face discipline.

NPR intensely covered the Clinton email issue prior to the 2016 election. And it covered this most recent development in the 3-year-old saga, but you wouldn't know that from looking at NPR.org, as a reader pointed out to the Public Editor's office. There's no digital story. No newsmagazine report. Astute listeners would have heard reports in six newscasts, at 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. (all ET) on Friday, Oct. 18, and at 2 a.m., 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. Newscast transcripts are not archived online, however.

To any NPR news consumer who didn't happen to catch a newscast, most of which were in off hours, this important development in the story is invisible.

Newsroom leaders told me they stand by the decision to cover the story only in the newscasts, given the crush of other important news and an exceedingly stretched staff.

"It was a combination of things: timing and stretched resources and in the scheme of all the news of late, it just didn't rise up to our re-allocating resources. A judgment call, but not one that we would second guess given all the other things coming over the transom," Edith Chapin, NPR's vice president and executive editor, told me in an email.

Sarah Gilbert, NPR's vice president for news programming, added (by email): "That part of the week's news agenda was dominated by reaction to [acting White House Chief of Staff Mick] Mulvaney admitting and then retracting quid pro quo on Ukraine, the Doral G7 announcement and reversal, and the crisis in Syria. In this context, newscast coverage of a 9-page State Dept. report that concluded 'there was no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information' was adequate."

Are all those other stories important? Yes, and arguably far more newsworthy at this time when the president faces an impeachment inquiry. And the State Department finding perhaps felt anti-climactic, given that the FBI had already long ago closed its own investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server, saying there was no criminal act. NPR covered that at the time.

Those affected most by the new development are the senders of the now-classified emails. That said, as recently as Sept. 30, NPR had prominent reports in both Morning Edition and All Things Considered about how the State Department had revived the probe, contacting about 150 current or former employees whose emails had ended up in Clinton's private email. The net effect of that action, and NPR's reporting on it, was to keep alive an issue that President Trump has used to stir up his supporters against Clinton in particular and Democrats in general.

The end ofยญยญยญยญยญยญ the State Department's investigation is a final period on the whole saga that got so much attention in the lead-up to the 2016 election. I think NPR has an obligation here to close the loop after three years (or at least on the newsmagazine reports from Sept. 30). Since there's no other report in the NPR online archive, this one will have to do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/publicedito...prominent-story

The witch hunt is over and even Trump's own henchmen couldn't find anything on Hillary. In fact it was Michael Flynn who was calling for the cheers of lock her up at the GOP convention in 2016.

He is now awaiting sentence.

Yes 40, the hamma is falling on the deep state. You're just having trouble understanding who the deep state is.

Summoning my best 40 voice... โ€œyeah but still. Her emails. Lock her up! Deep state. Obamaghazi pizzagate. Winning.โ€

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
In Layman's terms:

Clinton Foundation = Squeaky clean.
Trump Foundation = Corrupt and shut down.

DRAIN THE SWAMP !! .... Duh.

Legend
Legend
Isnโ€™t that the same deep state that got that Iranian General kilt?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
โ€“ Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
LOL Any little tidbit makes you all giddy doesn't it.

Think about it, Wray was picked by Trump and like all trumps picks, they are completely loyal to him until they aren't.

I have no doubt, he was asked to make that statement.

So, This means nothing..

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus The Hamma begins to fall on the Deep State

Link Copied to Clipboard