Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by jfanent
Peaceful pro-Hamas protesters have peacefully taken over Hamilton Hall
@Columbia
. Some accounts reporting they’ve also peacefully taken facility workers hostage peacefully barricading them inside the building.

What's next, a peaceful beheading? rofl

We basically had that on Jan 6th. Not that I supported either. Also the people that took over that building are reportedly outside influences not affiliated with the college.

Somebody was beheaded on J6?

Or by "basically", do you mean they tried to cut the head off but couldn't get through the neck bone?

And I agree, this looks like another insurrection. I wonder how accountability will be handled?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Yes. It seems that being a pig-agitator-terrorist is now a lucrative career choice, and openly funding them is perfectly acceptable. That doesn't excuse responsibility from students that participate though. Well, in most people's opinion anyway.

It certainly does not. It doesn't excuse anyone who participates in violence or breaking of the law. As with each and every one of such incidents in the past whether conducted by the right or the left, my opinion remains constant. Anyone involved with criminal activity should be prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law.

Eric Adams just spent most of his press conference blaming "professional agitators", it almost sounded like the poor innocent kids on drugs speak from the 90s, when we wanted it to be all the drug pushers' fault and alleviate all personal responsibility. We're still playing that game.

I certainly agree with you while at the same time find it confusing how people tend to pick and choose when personal accountability and personal responsibility applies and when it doesn't depending on whom is involved.

I can see where this is going now. The students will be "victims". Which bodes well for Biden's White House. Zero-dark-thirty for weeks on end will quickly become messages condemning "the agitators". The spoiled brats that started everything will walk away with little to no punishment. And the beat goes on.

You will have a certain subset I believe that will be pushing that message. But then aren't we already seeing that exact same thing elsewhere in the opposite direction as we post? As I said, this personal responsibility thing seems to be something people pick and choose who it applies to more and more these days. People use it like having an ace up their sleeve for when they choose to play it.

On a personal note, I support peaceful protests. It's a constitutional guarantee. Even when I disagree with the message or the cause. That goes for Nazi groups, the KKK and white supremacists. Although I hate and abhore their message they have the right to assemble peacefully and share it. Because as soon as I start supporting we stop those we disagree with from standing for their cause, how soon will people be coming after my causes?

But that's not what we have here. We certainly have some who were peacefully protesting and we also have those who weren't. Those who stepped outside of the law deserve to be punished no differently than any other criminal.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
And I agree, this looks like another insurrection. I wonder how accountability will be handled?

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
People were killed. So “basically” works well here. Unlike “basically nobody has had Covid over the last year” which doesn’t work well.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
What "people" were killed? Asking for a friend.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

rofl

lol. Just thought I'd add some rhetoric since you and Wobbler were busting out some J6 comparisons. rofl

Legend
Legend
I agree with most of that. I know everything has to be compared to Trump, so I've decided I'm just going to overlook that from now on. You're like the hot girlfriend with bad habits. After a while you just accept the bad habits. 🤣

One of the things I'm strongest on in life -- whether it be business, politics, or relationships -- is precedent. When they need to be set, set them in no uncertain terms. When you allow them to be violated, be aware of the consequences.

We really need to start being more aware of this as a country. Getting beyond the who, whats and whys... is it really okay for students to take over a campus and declare it as their own so they can protest? Is it okay for police to wait hours before they do something about blocking traffic on a bridge because people have glued themselves to a vehicle, or should they just say "alright, this is going to hurt"?

I have a lot of harsh opinions on some of this, I know they probably go against the norm, but we have reached the point of desperately needing to 'over-compensate'.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

rofl

lol. Just thought I'd add some rhetoric since you and Wobbler were busting out some J6 comparisons. rofl

Not until Memphis served up this......

Kinda has a Summer 2020 vibe to it.......Oh, memories.

I used the "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" principal. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
N
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-fbi-data-murder-statistics/73443631007/

FBI data shows America is seeing a 'considerable' drop in crime. Trump says the opposite.
Zac Anderson
USA TODAY

Jeff Asher is a New Orleans-based crime data analyst who has worked at the CIA and Department of Defense. He leans towards caution when describing trends in his line of work.

Amid the heated crime rhetoric that is a staple of politics and is continuing this year – former President Donald Trump and his conservative allies in Congress and the media are using dire terms to describe crime trends in America – Asher has been carefully sifting through the data.

The story he tells has been slow to emerge but stands in stark contrast to Trump's narrative.

As early data showed murders declining nationwide last year, Asher was careful about overstating things. But as the big decline continued, he wrote in December that he had “seen enough” and was ready to declare that the U.S. was experiencing a major drop in killings.

“Murder plummeted in the United States in 2023, likely at one of the fastest rates of decline ever recorded,” Asher wrote online.

P

The decrease in murders is "potentially historically large," Asher told USA TODAY, and it's not just killings that are declining. Preliminary 2023 FBI data “paint the picture" of a big decrease in overall crime, he wrote.

That’s not the picture Trump and his supporters are painting on the campaign trail, with voters likely to hear plenty more in the coming months that attempts to cast President Joe Biden as weak on crime. A House Judiciary Committee field hearing scheduled for Friday in Philadelphia is expected to focus on the topic, picking up on a theme the GOP-led panel covered during similar sessions last year in New York and Chicago.

Trump’s crime rhetoric has been escalating as he faces his own criminal jeopardy, with the former president arguing that prosecutors are ignoring the real crime problem in America to pursue a political “witch hunt” against him.

He complained last summer about the "filth and the decay" in Washington, D.C. as he headed back to the nation's capital for his arraignment on federal criminal charges tied to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol. Campaigning in Georgia last month, where he's fighting additional state-based criminal charges, Trump declared that “crime is rampant and out of control like never, ever before.”

Yet even as the data contradicts Trump’s description of a nation in the grip of terrible crime wave, many Americans are inclined to agree with him, polls show, and crime could be a key issue this election cycle.

"The suburban housewives actually like Donald Trump. You know why? Because I'm the one who's gonna keep them safe,” Trump said recently, referencing a voting block that could swing the election.

The Trump campaign referred questions about Trump's rhetoric conflicting with FBI data to the Republican National Committee, which pointed to articles raising questions about the accuracy of the FBI data and conflicting information in federal reports.

RNC spokeswoman Anna Kelly said USA TODAY was "trying to gaslight Americans into believing that their lived experiences are wrong" and noted "families are rightfully concerned" about crime.

"Biden’s weakness has made Americans less safe, and his policies have failed," Kelly added.

Aggressive crime rhetoric has been a staple of GOP politics going back decades, but Trump’s comments clash with the reality laid out in FBI and other reports of a nation mending after a troubled period.

Pandemic crime wave

Republicans also ran on tackling crime during the 2022 midterm election cycle, and they had data to back up their claims that it was a growing problem.

The United States experienced a spike in violent crimes that coincided with the pandemic and social unrest surrounding police killings of George Floyd and other unarmed African American individuals.

The FBI reported that violent crimes increased an estimated 5.6% in 2020 and remained at that elevated level in 2021, dipping by just 1%.

The 29% estimated increase in murders in 2020 was particularly shocking, and murders jumped another 4.3% in 2021 estimates.

While the increase was alarming, crime was still well below levels seen a few decades ago, said Jeffrey Butts, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice and director of the school’s Research and Evaluation Center.

“When COVID hit we saw this spike, so from 2020 to 2022 it was bad but… it still came nowhere near where we were in the 1990s,” Butts said, noting crime soon began to drop again as expected.

Researchers believe the crime increase was a blip caused by pandemic disruptions, Butts said.

“House Republicans are ready to stand up to the criminals who think that this country is theirs for the taking, and the leftists in Washington who are enabling this outbreak of violent crime,” the lawmakers wrote.

Trump has continued that type of rhetoric, even as crime as ebbed.

The FBI’s national crime estimates for 2022 found that violent crime decreased 1.7% and there were 6.7% fewer murders. Complete FBI crime data for 2023 won’t be released until the fall, but quarterly reports show violent crime continuing to drop.

University of New Haven criminal justice Professor Maria Tcherni-Buzzeo said the downward trend in crime means "we are kind of returning to where we were before the pandemic."

Asher cited preliminary 2023 FBI data in predicting that the final numbers for the year could show a "considerable" drop. The third quarter FBI data showed murders dropping an estimated 15.6% compared with the same period in 2022 and violent crime dropping 8.2% overall.

The fourth quarter 2023 report released in March show an estimated 4% drop in property crime, 6% drop in violent crime and 13% decrease in murders from 2022. The fourth quarter report covers the entire 2023 calendar year, and can be considered a preliminary year-end report.

Questions about crime data
The FBI relies on voluntary reporting from police agencies to develop national crime statistics. Some police departments don't report their data, so the agency estimates crime levels in those regions to come up with a national number.

The percentage of police departments reporting their data has been increasing since then, but the information is still incomplete – 79% of agencies reported in the fourth quarter of 2023 – and the agency uses methods to adjust for missing data and publish estimates.

While FBI data showed violent crime decreasing in 2022, another widely-cited crime barometer showed a different picture. The 2022 National Victimization Survey conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, which captures both reported and unreported crimes, found a steep increase in the violent victimization rate.

That survey measures a different timespan, though, starting with crimes that occurred in July of 2021 when pandemic disruptions were more acute and continuing through November of 2022. The 2023 survey won't be released until the fall, and there aren't interim reports like the FBI data.

Because of the different timeframes and other factors, Asher believes the victimization survey and FBI reports shouldn't be compared. He and other crime statistics experts say they are confident in the overall trend laid out in the FBI data of crime decreasing. The data have a margin of error because they rely on estimates, but clearly point in the direction of reduced crime.

“The trends are clear, there’s no questioning the trend in good faith in my opinion," Asher said.

Some communities continue to experience elevated crime levels, or increases in certain crimes. Murders are up 9% in Los Angeles, 8% in St. Louis and 23% in Denver this year compared to the start of 2023, according to data compiled by Asher's firm, AH Datalytics. Nationwide, 2023 third and fourth quarter FBI crime reports show motor vehicles thefts increasing.

Overall, though, crime is going down and is at or near pre-pandemic levels, according to the FBI data, experts interviewed by USA TODAY and other leading groups that study the issue.

"Crime rates are largely returning to pre-COVID levels as the nation distances itself from the height of the pandemic, but there are notable exceptions," the non-partisan Council on Criminal Justice wrote in a year-end 2023 analysis of crime trends in 38 cities.

That trend is continuing into 2024.

Big drop in murders
There are 532 fewer murders so far this year in the 218 cities tracked by AH Datalytics, when compared with the same period last year, a 20% decline.

“I would have no problem walking around any big city in the United States right now,” said University of Miami criminologist Alex Piquero, who previously ran the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, which publishes crime data. “The issue that we have is people are diving into social media and they’re not taking the time to digest really what’s happening.”

Piquero said people can "cherry pick" a few cities or crime types to argue crime still is a growing problem, but the national picture shows a steady decrease.

"There’s no doubt in my mind that 2022 was better than 2021, 2023 is going to be better than 2022 and 2024 will be better than 2023, I think every single data point we’re seeing is showing that," Piquero said.

Trump often focuses on crime in a few cities.

Murders are down 18% in New York City and 24% in Washington D.C. so far in 2024, according to police data, yet Trump continues to portray both cities as crime infested.

At his Georgia rally, Trump said businesses are going to leave New York “over crime” and described Washington D.C. as “a nightmare of murder and crime.”

“People from Georgia go down to Washington now and they get shot,” Trump said. “Horrible things are happening.”

Washington D.C. had 274 murders in 2023, the most since 1997, and up from 166 in 2019. So even if the 24% decrease holds for the entire year, the city would still be above the pre-pandemic murder level.

Yet the city's crime problem appears to be ebbing this year, with violent crimes down 25% and property crime down 13% so far when compared with the same period in 2023, according to the D.C. police department.

Trump’s crime rhetoric continued as his trial kicked off earlier this month in New York City on charges stemming from alleged hush money payments to an adult film star to hide an affair.

After the first day of jury selection, Trump emerged from the courtroom and attacked Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

“You go right outside and people are being mugged and killed all day long and he’s sitting here all day with about 10 or 12 prosecutors over nothing," the former president said.

Trump later visited a New York City bodega where a man was stabbed to death to further argue that the city has a crime problem. Earlier this month he held an event in Michigan with law enforcement to highlight crimes committed by undocumented immigrants, seizing on the case of Ruby Garcia, who was killed by her undocumented partner.

Garcia’s sister rebuked Trump for claiming he spoke with the slain woman’s family, which she said is not true.

The downward crime trend could hurt Trump’s efforts to deflect attention away from his own criminal cases by claiming there are bigger crime concerns. But polls show many Americans aren’t convinced crime is down.

A Gallup survey released in November found that 77% of Americans believe there is more crime than a year ago, despite FBI data showing the contrary.

The survey also found that more people say crime is an extremely or very serious problem now than in 2021, when murders actually increased.

That’s despite the fact that only 17% of people say crime is a big problem where they live.

That may be a sign that people’s opinions are driven more by political and media narratives around crime in faraway places than by the data.

Tcherni-Buzzeo said that “it may seem that… Trump makes people feel like crime is up,” but in her experience the mistaken belief that crime is increasing predates the former president’s political campaigns.

Going back more than a decade, whenever she asked students if crime is on the rise, the majority of the class would say yes, even though crime generally has been trending down since the 1990s.

Such beliefs may be “fueled by the fact this is what they see on the news,” she said.

The reality with violent crime is that “the trend is positive” recently and that should be the baseline for policy debates, Asher said.

“That does not endorse the level (of crime), it doesn’t mean there’s not work to do,” he said, adding: “But we don’t argue about whether the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.”

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with most of that. I know everything has to be compared to Trump, so I've decided I'm just going to overlook that from now on. You're like the hot girlfriend with bad habits. After a while you just accept the bad habits. 🤣

One of the things I'm strongest on in life -- whether it be business, politics, or relationships -- is precedent. When they need to be set, set them in no uncertain terms. When you allow them to be violated, be aware of the consequences.

I think of you wish to address personal responsibility it deserves to be pointed out that people are often times selective about it. I'm sorry that the prime example of that we're seeing today is something you think should not be brought up. Okay, so I'm not sorry. naughtydevil But we see a lot of that. Blaming the messenger rather than addressing the message.

We really need to start being more aware of this as a country. Getting beyond the who, whats and whys...

That's exactly the point I was trying to make which you seem to find that I should not have.

is it really okay for students to take over a campus and declare it as their own so they can protest?

No it's not. It never is. The problem I see with it more than anything is two fold. One, once they start breaking the law they have nothing left to stand on. And two, which I find much more important is that as we can see by the numbers I pointed out earlier in the thread, the highest number of protestors on the Columbia campus numbered 400. Of that 400 less than or about half were actually affiliated with the university. Columbia University has well over 36k students. When you have a very small minority of students interfering with such a large portion of the student bodies education, action must be taken to address that. I consider it a very selfish act for those select students to think they have the right to interfere in the education of so many others.

Is it okay for police to wait hours before they do something about blocking traffic on a bridge because people have glued themselves to a vehicle, or should they just say "alright, this is going to hurt"?

Hurt? I'm not sure it should "hurt" per say but they should be removed and charged with whatever offenses apply.

I have a lot of harsh opinions on some of this, I know they probably go against the norm, but we have reached the point of desperately needing to 'over-compensate'.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by overcompensate but that doesn't sound like a legal resolution. We have laws on the books and punishments in place concerning all of our laws. I believe in following those sentencing guidelines which are in place. Now if you are suggesting we stiffen some of the penalties regarding certain laws I would agree with you. There's a legal method by which to approach that. I'm not for arbitrarily being abusive to people because they break certain laws we don't like. As I said, I'm not sure what you meant by "over-compensate".

I believe the sentencing guidelines need to be increased for many laws. I believe the bonds need to go up for all violent offenders. What I don't want to see is laws put in place that would restrict or dissuade people from conducting legal, peaceful protesting.

I'm not a fan of extremism in either direction. As of now I don't think the laws go far enough. By the same token I don't want to see them go too far. As things stand today I think that is the only two choices people consider for the most part. Either too much or too little. And I don't see either of those two choices being good for our country.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Israel backers attack pro-Palestinian camp at UCLA, as NYC police arrest 300

LOS ANGELES/NEW YORK, May 1 (Reuters) - Supporters of Israel attacked a pro-Palestinian protest camp at the University of California in Los Angeles on Wednesday, hours after New York City police arrested some 300 protestors, as days of mounting tensions on some U.S. college campuses boiled over.

Eyewitness videos from UCLA, verified by Reuters, showed people wielding sticks or poles to hammer on wooden boards being used as makeshift barricades to protect the pro-Palestinian protesters before police were deployed to the campus.

On the other side of the country, New York police arrested pro-Palestinian demonstrators occupying an academic building at Columbia University and removed a two-week-old protest encampment that had inspired similar protests at campuses across the country and abroad.

Arrests at Columbia and nearby City College of New York numbered about 300, Mayor Eric Adams said, with many of them charged with trespassing and criminal mischief.

The clashes at UCLA and in New York are part of the biggest outpouring of U.S. student activism since the anti-racism rallies and marches of 2020. The protests were triggered by the Oct. 7 attack on southern Israel by Hamas militants from the Gaza Strip and the ensuing Israeli offensive on the Palestinian enclave.

Students have rallied or set up tent encampments at dozens of schools across the U.S. in recent days, expressing opposition to Israel's war in Gazaand demanding schools divest from companies that support Israel's government. Many of the schools have called in police to quell the protests.

With thepresidential electioncoming in November, Republican lawmakers have accused some university administrators of ignoring antisemitic rhetoric and harassment, some demanding that Columbia's president resign. Many protesters, some of whom are Jewish, reject allegations of antisemitism.

UCLA PROTESTERS REPORT VIOLENT ATTACKS

UCLA officials declared on Tuesday that the encampment was unlawful, violated university policy and included people unaffiliated with the campus.

Footage from the early hours showed counter-demonstrators, many of them masked and some apparently older than students, throwing objects and trying to smash or pull down the wooden and steel barriers erected to shield the encampment.

Some screamed pro-Jewish comments as pro-Palestinian protesters tried to fight them off.

"They were coming up here and just violently attacking us," said pro-Palestinian protester Kaia Shah, a researcher at UCLA. "I just didn't think they would ever get to this, escalate to this level, where our protest is met by counter-protesters who are violently hurting us, inflicting pain on us, when we are not doing anything to them."

Demonstrators on both sides used pepper spray, and fights broke out; pro-Palestinian demonstrators said the counterprotesters threw fireworks at them and beat them with bats and sticks.
Benjamin Kersten, a UCLA graduate student and member of the group Jewish Voice for Peace, called it "a devastating night of violence."

"The encampment would be a peaceful effort were it not for the continuous presence of counterprotestors and agitators," he wrote in a text message. "While Congress holds more hearings on whether Jewish students feel safe enough on campuses, Jewish students are among those withstanding attacks from Zionist protestors."

Police said UCLA called them to restore order and maintain public safety "due to multiple acts of violence" within the encampment. Broadcast footage later showed police clearing a central quad beside the encampment and erecting a metal crowd barrier in front of it.

The atmosphere was calmer on Wednesday. Hundreds of police officers and squad cars were on campus and lining its perimeter. It was unclear how many arrests were made or the number of people who were injured.

COLUMBIA DEMONSTRATORS ARRESTED

In New York, police had arrested dozens of pro-Palestinian demonstrators holed up in a building at Columbia University and removed a protest encampment that the Ivy League college had sought to dismantle for nearly two weeks.

Columbia President Minouche Shafik asked police to stay on campus until at least May 17, two days after graduation.

"Free, free Palestine!" protesters chanted outside the building. "Let the students go!"

"A lot of people are shaken. I think I'm forever changed by what happened today," said Bo Tang, a history student who has been part of the protesting students research group.

"The university fails to learn its own history and repeats its mistakes with such brutishness," Tang wrote in a text-message from the locked-down campus.

Ben Solomon, a 22-year-old Jewish student at Columbia, said he welcomed the move to clear the protesters from the occupied building and the encampment.

"I'm glad to see universities took decisive action," he said, as more than 100 students and professors gathered in a street adjoining the campus to protest the school's decision to call the police.

Columbia "must prevent this mob from taking back the campus and continuing to disrupt student life," Solomon said.

Shafik said the occupiers had vandalized university property and were trespassing, and her staff shared pictures of piles of furniture turned into barricades inside Hamilton Hall. She said the events filled her "with deep sadness."

"I am sorry we reached this point," she wrote in an email to the university community on Wednesday, saying that property damage was not "political speech" and promising efforts to reunite a frayed campus.

The university earlier warned that students taking part in the occupation faced academic expulsion.

Police were also called in to clear encampments and make arrests overnight at Tulane University in New Orleans, University of Arizona and City College of New York in Harlem.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/po...o-palestinian-campus-protest-2024-05-01/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It was a peaceful attack, lol. I see they're calling the protesting students a "research group". You can't make this stuff up. It really makes me want to pay for these student's loans.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
https://www.foxnews.com/media/colum...iers-might-die-without-food-delivery.amp

Student agitator mocked for saying the protesters might die without food and water aid.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
What the Reuters article doesn’t say is that Jewish students were being harassed and at least one was sent to the hospital when she was attacked by a group of pro Palestinian protesters earlier that day. There are other such incidents that I have read about.

The counter protesters have every right to be there if the university is going to allow protests. They do not have the right to attack people or property, even if they feel they are retaliating for crimes committed to them. The police should have never let these protests get out of hand if they were indeed called in by administration.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: GMdawg
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I saw that about the Jewish students. Man, that is some absolute crap. Unbelievable. I am starting to wonder about funding resources as well...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I read where funding was coming from Carnegie, Rockefeller and Soros. I’ll have to look it up again but Soros was the least of the three with something like 300k.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm always skeptical of something that says Soros is funding something. I don't like him at all and I think he's a sociopath, but it feels like almost every time something goes down that the far right points to Soros. Plus, wasn't he also a Jewish kid in Nazi-occupied Europe? That doesn't seem to pass the smell test.

I was thinking more along the lines of Iran. I obviously have no proof though.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/us-news/george-soros-maoist-fund-columbias-anti-israel-tent-city/amp/

I’ll have to find a more reputable source when I’m done eating.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Last edited by Pdawg; 05/01/24 06:00 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/israel-palestine/who-is-organizing-pro-palestine-protests/amp/

This link also blames the Rockefeller Trust

As to Soros. I know he is the bogie man to the right but that doesn’t mean he isn’t involved. There are many Jews that do back the Palestinian cause. Many of these groups seem to me to be legitimate ones. Well maybe not pro terrorist.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And I'm not trying to outright discredit what you're saying. Just that I always have a healthy dose of skepticism when he is accused because he's always pointed at by the right whenever anything unfortunate happens. I'll take a look at what you posted here soon.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm thinking that weren't celebrating total capitulation as Massie thinks. They were celebrating doing their jobs for once. You gotta consider that Massie is a follower of MTG? That should tell you what you need to know.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
J/C

I’d like to know what these students or what anybody worldwide really thinks the USA can do to end the war between Israel and Palestine.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Rep. Henry Cuellar and his wife allegedly took nearly $600,000 in bribes, indictment says

Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas and his wife have been charged with accepting nearly $600,000 in bribes from two foreign entities, according to an indictment in federal court in Texas.

The alleged scheme took place from late 2014 through at least November 2021, the indictment says.

The congressman and his wife, Imelda Cuellar, made their initial court appearance on Friday in Houston and were released on a $100,000 bond. They are facing several charges, including conspiracy to commit bribery of a federal official, violating the ban on public officials acting as agents of a foreign principal and money laundering.

In a statement on Friday, Cuellar said: “I want to be clear that both my wife and I are innocent of these allegations. Everything I have done in Congress has been to serve the people of South Texas.”

Cuellar said in his statement that actions he took in Congress were “in the interest of the American people” and vowed to continue his bid for reelection in November. The congressman also defended his wife, saying that, “The allegation that she is anything but qualified and hard working is both wrong and offensive.”

“The actions I took in Congress were consistent with the actions of many of my colleagues and in the interest of the American people,” Cuellar said.

Prosecutors say that Henry and Imelda Cuellar crafted two yearslong schemes to get bribes from foreign entities – an oil and gas company “wholly owned and controlled by the Government of Azerbaijan, and a bank headquartered in Mexico City.”

In exchange for bribe payments from the Azerbaijan oil company, Cuellar “agreed to perform official acts in his capacity as a Member of Congress, to commit acts in violation of his official duties, and to act as an agent of the Government of Azerbaijan” and the bank, the indictment says.

Among those promises, prosecutors allege Cuellar agreed to influence US policy through a “series of legislative measures relating to Azerbaijan’s conflict with neighboring Armenia,” by giving a pro-Azerbaijani speech on the House floor, inserting language “favored by Azerbaijan” into legislation and committee reports, and advocating for “series of legislative measures relating to Azerbaijan’s conflict with neighboring Armenia.”

The Texas Democrat also allegedly promised to influence financial regulations in a way that would benefit the Mexican bank and its affiliates, including by working to pressure the Executive Branch on anti-money laundering enforcement practices that “threatened” their business interest and supporting revisions to the criminal money-laundering statutes.

The couple received the bribe payments through shell companies owned by Imelda Cuellar, prosecutors say. They allegedly used the proceeds from the bribery schemes to pay taxes, pay down debt and spend tens of thousands of dollars at restaurants and retail stores. One purchase was for a $12,000 custom gown, according to the indictment.

Cuellar’s home and campaign office in Laredo, Texas, were raided by the FBI in 2022. The charges against Cuellar are not yet publicly available.

A spokesperson for House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries released a statement shortly after Cuellar’s charges were reported, saying that the congressman is entitled to the presumption of innocence. But, spokesperson Christie Stephenson said, Cuellar will temporarily step down from his top spot on a House Appropriations Subcommittee while the investigation is ongoing.

“Henry Cuellar has admirably devoted his career to public service and is a valued Member of the House Democratic Caucus. Like any American, Congressman Cuellar is entitled to his day in court and the presumption of innocence throughout the legal process,” Stephenson said.

The National Republican Congressional Committee swiftly called on Cuellar to resign.

“If his colleagues truly believe in putting ‘people over politics,’ they will call on him to resign. If not — they are hypocrites whose statements about public service aren’t worth the paper they’re written on,” Delanie Bomar, a spokesperson for the NRCC, said in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/03/politics/henry-cuellar-indictment-doj/index.html

He has been indicted by a grand jury. As such let the man stand trial and face the legal consequences if found guilty of any crimes. This isn't difficult. I have no reason or need to uphold him, make excuses why this isn't fair, call it a witch hunt or claim that somehow he is above the law. That's an easy decision to make.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What an idiot. He’s right up there with Menéndez, who is sadly still in office. A sad time in American politics when the vulnerability of money in our politics is on display for all to see.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Cuckoo Dems-Part 6

Link Copied to Clipboard