Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: Squires
The problem with firing people is what respectable coach or gm would come here? This team is a mess. No one that has a clue is going to touch this organization. We're stuck with first time coaches/gm's that want a shot. Those usually don't work out.

You find the right guy, a GM that has shown he is capable and throw money at him. A lot of it. You find a HC that has won in the past but isn't too far over the hill and you throw money at him. If Haslam REALLY wanted Cowher? 15 million a year ought to do it. Personally, I would LOVE to see Brian Billick get the HC job. He had the Ravens playing good football for a very long time. Has a ring.... And you'd probably get him cheap. You could probably get Gruden out of the announcer box for 12+ million. Yes, it is a lot harder to get good front office talent here. But it's not impossible. There is no cap limit on front office/coaching staff.

I would love to have a coach that gets red in the face and the spit starts flying on the sideline when players screw up. Pettin is starting to remind me of Crennel and Shurmur, zero emotion like he could care less if we win or lose. Gruden seems to have a mancrush on Manziel I bet he would at least be curious. I would love any of the guys you named one condition though Haslam better have one of the locked up before he gives Pet the boot, don't want to settle for a bum again.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just watched this on NFL game pass. Figured I'd watch the condensed version given the insipid effort I'd read about. Downside is you probably miss a few things but the pain doesn't last as long.

Running game just didn't get off the ground. Tackling. Man, where are the basics. Too many just looking to hit and not wrap up on first contact. Haden did not cover himself in glory. He was abused by the rook who is clearly gifted. Where was the help? That match up just was not countered.
McCown was all over the shop. His arm was just scattering all over the place, behind, overthrown, under thrown.

I think we should go Manziel. But we won't.

Should have got game pass for the Ravens instead. At least I'd enjoy the games wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I actually though Pettine WOULD be that emotional/rigid coach when he was first hired. He's from Rex Ryan's coaching staff and he seemed like a hard a$$ ... but he's definitely not what I thought in that regard

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
We are a worse team this year than last. I thought the goal was to get better? Move forward?

The facts are, there is just too much wrong with this team and in so many different aspects.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Give McCown His Clip board and start Johnny ... thumbsup

I would have thought we're better with McCown, but now, I'm for Johnny. I could see him getting away from the rush way better.

They aren't going to go back to him yet I don't think.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Raiders are certainly trending the right direction. KMack is an absolute STUD. I remember watching him cause havoc against OSU when he was in college. Another swing and a miss by our FO in passing on drafting him.

I found myself being extra critical of McCown during the game. Every 3-n-out or every missed pass, I was disgusted because I do want to see JM play. However, I gotta give credit where credit is due...he brought the team back and didn't give up. Of course, to end the game on an INT near the goal line is what you get with him. It is what it is. I don't know if JM would have played any better or worse.

Travis Benjamin should have had 3 TDs. His ability to get behind the defense is a thing of beauty to watch.

Our defense is downright embarrassing.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
L
Legend
Legend
L
Didn't see the game. All I have to do is look at the yards given up by our embarrassing defence and I know what I need to know.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Give McCown His Clip board and start Johnny ... thumbsup

I would have thought we're better with McCown, but now, I'm for Johnny. I could see him getting away from the rush way better.

They aren't going to go back to him yet I don't think.

I kinda felt playing the veteran was also the best decision, but... when your veteran plays like he did I mean gzzz. I mean people rip, and rightfully so, JF coughing up the ball but Josh did as well and then you include the many plays McCown left on the field, many touchdown plays more than likely, I don't see how anyone could support Josh.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Y'all need to shake your battered fan syndrome.

It's hard to shake the syndrome when you are still being beaten...

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

We got next to zero pressure against Carr yesterday. Disgusting.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

I can't even see I've been hit in the face so much

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

We got next to zero pressure against Carr yesterday. Disgusting.

And he's me... "oh I think we'll get consistent pressure with just four", man how freaking stupid am I I feel for saying, and believing, that.

He looked as comfortable as my cat in his favorite blanket after a full meal.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
General thought. I know a lot, a LOT of posters on this board have been posting here for decades, and that means they've been following the Browns for just as long. And all of those posters have seen some devastating losses.

Nothing over trumps bad quarterback play. Not turnovers, pass rush, or muffed punts, blocked kicks, or field position.

Nothing over trumps bad quarterback play.

53 seasons here.

And i agree. Play the "new" Manziel. Cant be worse than this.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

You can't be beaten if you walk away. The hard part for most Browns fans is they can't walk away. I have no idea why...

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Finally did it. Al Browns items removed from my car, Browns attire packed away, things around my home removed. Now all I need to do is address the void in my Sunday for the next 12 weeks.

My 14 year old son finds this Browns debacle amusing and I guess I do now as well.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Not for me anymore!

Go Browns! I think..............

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: Riddler

I think we should go Manziel. But we won't.

Riddler, i am not a Manziel fan; argued heatedly not to draft him, didn't think his college skills would translate well into the NFL, where the guys are faster, smarter, and well-prepared (mostly- even though i think we have been unprepared 2x now) BUT nobody is going give up a 5 star QB now, have to wait for the draft, and clearly Josh is not the guy, so we should fish or cut bait with Johnny. He fails and we move on, or he's just good enough to win or better.

Clearly he wants to win this year, and at least he is exciting and has a decent arm.

Remember Brian Sipe? I couldn't wait to see him every week.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
Finally did it. Al Browns items removed from my car, Browns attire packed away, things around my home removed. Now all I need to do is address the void in my Sunday for the next 12 weeks.

My 14 year old son finds this Browns debacle amusing and I guess I do now as well.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Not for me anymore!

My one friend, generally he avoids the "we suck" and "we need to fire..." and countless other negative conversations and has for the most part, texted me this morning asking if I knew anyone who wants to buy his season tickets.

I was flabbergasted, but I get the sense he's done doing anything but maybe watching them on Sundays on TV. He said the raised tickets prices for even less a quality product is quote "a jip". This guy was as die hard fan as they come.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I completely understand. Its not the losing but a genuine lack of effort and desire to play the game that is so depressing. I dont care if i watch another game this year, thats how I feel about this team. They can blow this mess all to hell.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Its not the losing but a genuine lack of effort and desire to play the game that is so depressing.

That's my biggest issue with everything as well Mourg.

The fact that Pettine thinks the team is prepared and motivated is disturbing on many levels as well.

People hate when I say this, but I wouldn't even mind if they moved the team again.

I would focus on fantasy football and just general watching. I think I would enjoy my Sundays and the week that follows a lot better.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

2. Haden is a fraud.

This entire team is a fraud.

The defense is a complete joke, and the offense is even worse.
For as much individual talent as is on our OLine, they play terribly as a whole.... so, yeah, we have Joe Thomas, Mack, Bitonio, etc... but it is strue: Our OLine sucks.

I no longer see any reason or justification for keeping Manziel on the bench. At this point, he no longer has anything to learn from McCown.

I see no reason or justification for either coordinator to remain employed this morning, and Pett & Farmer should be freaking EMBARRASSED and ashamed to show their faces after what they've put out there. Seriously disgraceful.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Can anyone confirm if Paul Kruger was on the field at all yesterday?

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Obviously they need to compartmentalize this game.

We're at the point where not much matters with this team anymore. We've been here before.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Cjrae

Good for you! Becoming a closet Browns fan is the best. Hide everything Browns you own, try not to talk about them outside of social media, and most importantly don't spend another dime on this crap! Nothing vested nothing lost!

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
Legend
I haven't spent a dime on the Browns in a few years. Yes, I still watch them religiously and post on DT ... but I don't spend anything (outside of my damned free time)

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
the vets will have a meeting and say they want mccown

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Legend
Legend
I'm more than just a little sick of reading how you can't blame McCown because we couldn't run the ball..

In the first half, Carr converted a
3rd and 12
1st and 20
2nd and 15
2nd and 15
3rd and 9

And before our late FG drive, in 3 possessions we had converted 1 first down through the air.. 1. In order to sustain a running game, sometimes the QB has to pick up first down and keep the offense on the field to run.... and keep running. They talk about how many rushing yards we gave up.. at halftime the Raiders had about 30 yards on 13 carries, but they were able to sustain drives because they could complete passes... this allowed them to keep running and eventually they broke a couple long ones...

We failed to convert first downs, failed to stay on the field, failed to score, fell behind, and had to abandon the run... hard to break long runs when you are in a position where you have stopped trying to run the ball.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
Other teams make it look so easy, indefensible, to run a man across the middle for quick hit 5-6 yard pass and a first down.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
Other teams make it look so easy, indefensible, to run a man across the middle for quick hit 5-6 yard pass and a first down.

And you'd assume with all our slot like, speedy and shifty type WRs we have, we'd be to tear those kinda plays up too at will.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

Other teams get to try these plays against our defense.
We have to do it against theirs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I simply look at the plan this coaching staff had, or at least what they told us going into the season.

Run the ball.

Minimize the QB position.

Strong secondary.

Stop the run.

None of these things have materialized. Reading this entire thread, I wonder how many fans are actually focusing on where the real problem lies?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I simply look at the plan this coaching staff had, or at least what they told us going into the season.

Run the ball.

Strong secondary.

Stop the run.

None of these things have materialized. Reading this entire thread, I wonder how many fans are actually focusing on where the real problem lies?

So you're saying that we lost because I forgot to wear my lucky Browns socks?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Run the ball.

Strong secondary.

Stop the run.

So you're saying that we lost because I forgot to wear my lucky Browns socks?

Well, that may have been a part of it. lol

What I'm saying is two parts.

1. I'm quite sure at the very least, going into the draft plans these past two seasons, that Pettine made it clear to Farmer what he wanted to do. What his plan was. And that it's Farmers job to get those players. It's not working.

2. Pettine sees this team in training camp and pre season. As a HC, he should know the strengths and weaknesses of this team. As such, your plan should revolve around the talent you have on your roster and its strong suits. That's what his plan was based on. It's not working.

Sure the players have to execute the plays. But when your OL can't run block and your defense can't stop the run. When you say you want to run the ball and minimize the QB position, then throw the ball almost 50 times, you are refusing to even follow the plan you claim to be the blue print in game three of the season.

Seems like there's really not much of a plan. I mean can anybody really be surprised by the outcome when McCown throws the ball 49 times?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Run the ball.

Strong secondary.

Stop the run.

They materialized in week 2 when we won, well all except stopping the run, and even that can be argued was largely the result of a couple big plays.

Problem is that we aren't good enough at the moment to impose that kind of will on most NFL teams. The staff might WANT to do it, but when it isn't working, you have to try something else... And if you are going to win that way, then you need a very consistent steady QB who can throw for a high % on those 5 and 6 yard plays to keep the chains moving and you need to minimize the mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc.)...

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yet, Shanny stuck w/the run. He still is and Atlanta's offense is taking off, despite having one of the worst offensive lines in football.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Yet, Shanny stuck w/the run. He still is and Atlanta's offense is taking off, despite having one of the worst offensive lines in football.

You are not allowed to speak of that. He isn't here so it doesn't matter now. Didn't you get the memo?

naughtydevil

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
After three games we are dead last in run defense....again.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Incidentally the Packers are 31st but at least they have an offense to make up for it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We play timid, and that obviously doesn't work in football. We have a tendency to let the other team be the aggressors on both sides of the ball. Pettine needs to find a way for the team to get its swagger back and dictate the action. We seem to have too many players on the team who are resigned to losing rather than guys that hate it. I'm not sure how you fix that. We could try blowing things up yet again, but I'm pretty sure the evidence suggests that that doesn't work. We might need to hire an army of sports psychologists. I like Pettine, but I'm not sure he has the chops as a motivator. I'm fine with the scheme and the personnel, for the most part, but they're just playing like a listless bunch of ninnies who should be put on suicide watch. Us against the world, the disrespect card, I dunno what, Pettine needs to find a way to get these guys playing fast, angry, and physical.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Group therapy smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Their swagger back? Swagger is at every game!

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Oakland 27 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard