Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
Legend
V
Was Joe our number 1 corner as a rookie?????

I think teams have thrown at him his entire career. He is actually getting picked on.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
The most interceptions he's ever had in a season was 6, that was his rookie year.

Six is a lot of interceptions for a teams #1 corner. Most of the interception leaders in the league are safeties nowadays.

Indeed. Sherman always brags about he baits QB's into throws and that's why his int numbers look so high. That said, Joe Haden used to run the league when it came to pass deflections. Changes in the rules have made it harder for him to play though, but I think our main problem is our defensive scheme. Very few of our premier players, those who have been validated by their peers, have had even a decent season so far on defense. This is a lot more telling than Haden's poor play.

I think it was the Denver game, they said we led the league in man coverage snaps. Realizing part of that is the inability to get off the field, it still shows we are doing something wrong. Good scheme is unpredictable, LEADING the league is being predictable...lmao

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
The most interceptions he's ever had in a season was 6, that was his rookie year.

Six is a lot of interceptions for a teams #1 corner. Most of the interception leaders in the league are safeties nowadays.

Indeed. Sherman always brags about he baits QB's into throws and that's why his int numbers look so high. That said, Joe Haden used to run the league when it came to pass deflections. Changes in the rules have made it harder for him to play though, but I think our main problem is our defensive scheme. Very few of our premier players, those who have been validated by their peers, have had even a decent season so far on defense. This is a lot more telling than Haden's poor play.

I think it was the Denver game, they said we led the league in man coverage snaps. Realizing part of that is the inability to get off the field, it still shows we are doing something wrong. Good scheme is unpredictable, LEADING the league is being predictable...lmao

You can be unpredictable and still run man most of the time.

We have multiple examples this season of players, after they have played us, saying they are either very comfortable against our defense or know what is coming.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I think teams have thrown at him his entire career. He is actually getting picked on.

I'm not sure. Possibly. It would have been either him or Eric Wright, right?

Teams have thrown at him his entire career. There's no doubting that. He plays with a lot of swagger and tries to bate quarterbacks. Richard Sherman does the same thing. Joe Haden doesn't get the interceptions that Sherman does, but gets a lot more pass deflections.

This really isn't too big of a deal. At the end of the day one CB will get picked on the most, at least Joe Haden will get you PD's instead of giving up completions like our other corners (This season excluded).

L
Legend
Legend
L

Joe was the number 3 that year behind eric wright and sheldon brown

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Elite? He isn't average.

rofl

You're laughing, I'm not. I bet he doesn't grade out at top 30 in the NFL this year.

He probably won't because he'll miss several games. I think he's already been ruled out for Thursday. One subpar season wipes everything else out. Got it.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think one subpar season should wipe everything else out.

But if we are being objective, Haden has always probably been a little overrated.

And this year, he has really regressed. The announcers were bagging on him yesterday. He seems to have lost all confidence.

And even when he was considered "good" he had a knack for making a boneheaded play when the team could least afford it.

He's just not very good right now. Most of the team has regressed under this coaching staff so maybe with a different voice he can become solid again.

I know for me I'm Ralph Brown-nervous anytime he's on the field. Guaranteed first down no matter the distance. Other teams know it too and they exploit it.

If Pettine practiced what he preached about accountability, he would bench Haden. But Pettine is loyal to his guys. And I think Haden is a Pettine guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
When Joe Haden is healthy, I think he is a top 5 cornerback in this league. I truly feel that way. Not everyone does. I'm happy to concede he hasn't had the production that he's shown previous years, but I don't think he's regressed as a player. The dude has two concussions and three separate injuries this year. He's played in only three full games this year. I'm not asking anyone to cut him slack but there are plenty go other things going on.

Now if someone said he's the best CB in the league, then yeah, that's overrated.

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Every CB plays with some kind of hurt. He's not a difference maker.
He's not a turnover producer. He's not exactly the best run stopper either.
He's not even Top 7
Janoris Jenkins
Darrell Revis
Aqib Talib
Chris Harris
Charles Woodson
Patrick Peterson
Richard Sherman
Adam Jones

All playing better than Haden

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Elite? He isn't average.

rofl

You're laughing, I'm not. I bet he doesn't grade out at top 30 in the NFL this year.

He probably won't because he'll miss several games. I think he's already been ruled out for Thursday. One subpar season wipes everything else out. Got it.

I forgot how stupid this board was.

Last edited by BpG; 11/02/15 06:09 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Elite? He isn't average.

rofl

I forgot how stupid this board was.

Then do us all a huge favor....leave and never come back.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Glad to see you posting again, bro. Stick around. We need smarter posters.

I was just watching an interview w/Gruden and one of Carolina's corners. Did anyone else see that? Man, I loved that guy's passion for the game. His passion for wanting to be the best. His desire to want to be a leader.

Refreshing.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Glad to see you posting again, bro. Stick around. We need smarter posters.

I was just watching an interview w/Gruden and one of Carolina's corners. Did anyone else see that? Man, I loved that guy's passion for the game. His passion for wanting to be the best. His desire to want to be a leader.

Refreshing.

I assumed you're talking about Josh Norman? He is the best corner in the game right now. He absolutely obliterated TY Hilton last night. 6th round pick out of Coastal freaking Carolina. We're over here sitting on Justin Gilbert....makes me so angry.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, that is the guy. He was so passionate about the game and being a great player.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep, that is the guy. He was so passionate about the game and being a great player.

They were so close to firing Ron Rivera too. You have to wonder if this guy ever makes it if they change regimes.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

If you ask me, this has been one of our biggest problems for years.

Our team is full of followers who have no heart. Nobody who wants to seize the moment, especially on defense. We have a defense full of guys who crap themselves when we're up by 3-6 points and the other team is in a 2 minute drill.

Haden is one of those guys I'm talking about. He's the one I get nervous about when the other team needs a long first down, or needs to get in field goal range.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would just like to add that I was not all that optimistic when he took Gilbert "under his wing." He doesn't have that kind of presence with his teammates.

What I imagine Gilbert needed/needs now is a teammate who had that Ray Lewis type of persona...a guy who would stare right at you and say "you better get your head on straight and put your work in, or you'll have to answer to me."

For a long time now, I've had the impression that our team (especially our defense) is 11 individuals who just happen to be on the field together.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep. I was thinking about that when I was watching the interview.

Other than Whitner on defense and Duke on offense, who do we have that plays w/passion? I guess we could add McCown in there.....maybe. But who else?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Other than Whitner on defense and Duke on offense, who do we have that plays w/passion? I guess we could add McCown in there.....maybe. But who else?

Robertson. I saw him late on in the game trying to pump up the 'D'. He was very expressive and vocal...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Robertson is also having a very good year if he could stay on the field.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Robertson. I saw him late on in the game trying to pump up the 'D'. He was very expressive and vocal...

Playing with passion doesn't necessarily mean being expressive and vocal. There have been tons of passionate players that didn't say a word (Troy Polamalu comes to mind.)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Playing with passion doesn't necessarily mean being expressive and vocal. There have been tons of passionate players that didn't say a word (Troy Polamalu comes to mind.)

That's true, but being outwardly expressive is a sure sign of passion...

V
Legend
Legend
V
All I know is that kid loved the game. I don't see too many of our guys w/that type of mindset, and yes, Joe Haden is squarely in my sights.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All I know is that kid loved the game. I don't see too many of our guys w/that type of mindset, and yes, Joe Haden is squarely in my sights.

Come to think of it, our ST guys seem to exhibit more passion as a whole. (Of course ST guys are loose cannons anyway...j/k).

C
Legend
Legend
C

That's true, but being outwardly expressive is a sure sign of passion...

Or a sign of being an a-hole.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Xanthros
Someone made a good point in the game day thread about how he's not the same off of the adderal.

Bingo!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Bingo my ass.

The Haden adderal incident was when he took it in the off season three years ago.

Some of you people make me sick with your nonsense.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Bingo my ass.

Thanks bro. I needed the laugh. grin

T
Legend
Legend
T
He may not be Sherman or Revis, but he's better than Leon McFadden was. He's better than Desir.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
He may not be Sherman or Revis, but he's better than Leon McFadden was. He's better than Desir.

How he has come outta the gate this season, we are a better secondary with him on the sidelines. Sad, but true...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He has been hurt this season ,really hurt and banged up. Maybe that has something to do with it?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
He has been hurt this season ,really hurt and banged up. Maybe that has something to do with it?

There is zero way that has anything to do with it. Zero.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
it wasnt that he was elite all along. it was that the other side was easier to pick on. sheldon brown, skrine, etc.

i think the oline is the same. our left has been better than the right for a long time..so they are elite?

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

How he has come outta the gate this season, we are a better secondary with him on the sidelines. Sad, but true...

just maybe...JUST MAYBE cause he's been injured all year. Especially when we have a body of work from previous seasons All of a sudden he SUCKS? Why not the obvious?

And yes I do think we look a little better out there when he is not playing hurt.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Haden is NOT elite.

Link Copied to Clipboard