Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
mac kinda killed that, when he started a new one and told us what to think.

VERS...BS, I DIDN'T KILL ANYTHING!

The thread had been closed for hours and there was a story in the Plain Dealer talking about heads "possibly" rolling if the Browns lost the next three games.

It was a great way to continue the thread title, "Continuity", so I started "take three" of the thread.

Also, there seemed to be some misconceptions of what "the Steelers Way" was and the adversity the Steelers went through in the first two years of their turn around...so I posted what the first two years under Noll were "really" like.

You can either jump in and continue what ever you wanted to discuss concerning "continuity"...or stop crying because I started take 3 of the continuity thread and you were still in bed.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
First thing, IMO, that *must* happen is whatshischeese - the front office bean counter that keeps wanting to meddle in football operations - HE needs to go. After that, Haslam needs to know his role and stay out of football operations, too (I don't care what anyone says - I'm still convinced that JFF was his call). After that, I'd give Farmer one more season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
There is an article on here that talks about how much the team's value has increased since Scheiner took over. I can't remember the number, but it's staggering. That same article claims that Scheiner is the guy who has Haslam's ear. I doubt we get rid of him. It's pretty depressing.

Legend
Legend
And if Haslam doesn't put him in his place and tell him to stay in his lane (or get rid of him), we're screwed. This will be just another on-going source of drama for all of time.

Bean counters count beans.
Football people do football things.

Don't cross the streams. Never cross the streams.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I see you are new to the board. How much is Farmer paying you?

rofl

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c----kinda/sorta:

I do not think we need to blow this entire thing up. Almost everyone has talked about the importance of continuity. That is why I started the Continuity threads. I wanted a real discussion w/as many different angles and opinions as were possible. mac kinda killed that, when he started a new one and told us what to think. Oh well........

I still think continuity is important. I think we should maintain some sense of continuity.

I think coaches can improve. You are constantly evaluating your strategies, you player evaluations, your relations w/the media, your game management, your game plans, etc. You can improve in those areas.

I do not think it's the same for a GM. He can improve upon things like how he interacts w/the media, his coaching staff, his scouting staff..........but you either have an eye for talent or you don't. You don't think you can grab 4th round qbs who were drafted as WRs and think you can make them a qb and revolutionize the game.

Bad coaching can hurt you on a play, a game, and even a season.

A bad GM can have a bad draft and that will hurt you for a decade.

We simply cannot afford to continue to blow draft classes and make ignorant free agency decisions.

Farmer has to go. I would give Pet another chance and keep the coaching staff together, except for maybe O'Neil.

Now......all that goes out the window if Haslam can get Saban. I would give him complete control and roll w/it.

Farmer does have an eye for talent though. Gilbert is wholly 100% Pettine's fault IMO. I know Gilbert is one of the chief criticisms of Farmer so let me just get that one out of the way. Johnny's handling is Pettine's fault as well but I don't want the thread to devolve into another Johnny discussion.

Bottom line, Farmer's record with UDFAs at least somewhat proves he has an eye for talent.

V
Legend
Legend
V
100%? Do you have a link for that?

Farmer's moves have sucked. He has not brought one impact player to the team. He has brought in a bunch of guys that don't look very good. I am pretty tired of the excuses and the passing of the buck.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Farmer's decision not to draft WR's? That was really great, right? Sticking with munchkins as WR's? Farmer, along with Pettine have to go.

We are terrible
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Texas_Brown

Farmer does have an eye for talent though. Gilbert is wholly 100% Pettine's fault IMO. I know Gilbert is one of the chief criticisms of Farmer so let me just get that one out of the way.

And Just how was Pettine supposed to handled someone that doesn't play very good and doesn't try very hard? Listen, I don't really fault Farmer for the Gilbert pick, because everyone else had Gilbert ranked about where he was drafted. But I do fault Farmer for keeping his dead weight on the roster.

Johnny's handling is Pettine's fault as well but I don't want the thread to devolve into another Johnny discussion.

I can't blame Farmer for that pick either because that pick was Haslam's. And if Pettine is the nitwit dragging Johnny to all those late night parties then shame on him.

Bottom line, Farmer's record with UDFAs at least somewhat proves he has an eye for talent.

We've had some good ones and some bad ones, like most teams.

Legend
Legend
dude it just blows my mind that right now WR and DB's reign supreme in the league, and yet he completely avoided the WR position.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Manziel is Haslam's pick and Gilbert is Pettine's pick, then that means our GM is letting other people pick for him. Which means he is not picking who he thinks is best for the team (kowtowing). In that case, he should be fired and someone who is more assertive should be hired.

I don't want my GM passing on who he thinks is the correct selection because someone else, who has not been studying prospects for a year, wants a different player.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I could see Pettine asking Farmer for a certain position, such as a top CB. But I'd think that guy would be Farmer's pick all the way.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
If Manziel is Haslam's pick and Gilbert is Pettine's pick, then that means our GM is letting other people pick for him. Which means he is not picking who he thinks is best for the team (kowtowing). In that case, he should be fired and someone who is more assertive should be hired.

I don't want my GM passing on who he thinks is the correct selection because someone else, who has not been studying prospects for a year, wants a different player.

First, if your boss, in this case Haslam, tells you to pick someone and your new to the position, it is always a good move making a stand if you don't want to be employed very long! LOL!!

Second, if I remember correctly, Farmer and Pettine were going over the roster deciding on a key piece needed. Both decided adding a second CB makes the biggest impact. I believe Pettine liked Gilbert's attributes as did many draft analyst.

The first draft, especially the first round, was more a group effort. Remember it was all threes first draft solo. Ray hired consultant Kuharich for experience. This year's draft seemed, to me anyway, more Farmer.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Many faile to realize that our owner blew it big time.

He had a STRONG suit by the name of Joe Banner that actually did know what he was doing!

Joe Banner did the same thing here he did in Philly:

1. Hired a Young up and coming coach in Chudzinski (In Philly that young up and comer was Andy Reid)
2. Surrounded that Young and up and comer with quality coordinators in Norv Turner and Ray Horton.
3. It was obvious Year one we had an Elite Defense Ranked in the Top 7 in NFL

This year had we stayed with Chud, Norv, and Horton we would be fighting for first place with Cincy.....

Yes not everyone in the league got along with Banner, but by god Banner knew what he was doing..even Reid who had disagreements with Banner towards the end even conceded that Banner was a smart guy that actually knew how to build a winner.

Our owner knee jerked and fired the first staff we have had since Marty/Bellichik that could have turned this mess around....imagine Year two with Hoyer, Chud, Turner, and that Elite Horton D...we would have been in the playoffs with that team, TJ Ward, Jackson, those guys would still be here...You cna tell Haden changed after Horton left...he regrets signing that contract...Joe Thomas, everyone was just deflated when they guys got axed....

Our owner killed this team and got rid of the pieces in place that would have fixed it that were put there by a guy that knows how to turn things around in Banner...he followed the same blueprint here he followed in Philly when he hired the young up and coming Andy Reid and we blew it big time.

its going to be LONG TIME now before this team even sniffs that playoffs, and i assure you Pettine will not be the one to take us there...

As of now, nothing short of Cowher, Parcells, Marty, or Payton is going to turn things around here, and none of those guys are going to come here with such an incompetent and meddling owner....Norv Turner was right..it was nonsense only being given one year.....

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
This year had we stayed with Chud, Norv, and Horton we would be fighting for first place with Cincy.....

There's no way anyone in the world could know that's true or not. Maybe it is, but it could be just as easily stated that we'd be the same or worse.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
or worse.

I'm not sure that would even be possible. willynilly

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ddubia
I could see Pettine asking Farmer for a certain position, such as a top CB. But I'd think that guy would be Farmer's pick all the way.

I believe it may even go one step further. Pettine may even describe the type of player he wants at the position to fit his schemes. A man on man type CB for example. A pocket QB with some ability to be mobile when they have to. But I in no way believe he gives Farmer names.

I just don't believe Farmer has drafted the right talent and or players to get the job done.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Maybe I am forgetting something, but didn't Banner fire Chudzinski?

Legend
Legend

Yep .... because he was sure he could hire a big name coach to replace him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Insanity!
How about just drafting from the nfl tv crew.
Every year they predict we take a stud..we chose some no name joker.
We dont need a coach..what we need is some talented players.

Thanks art!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Yep .... because he was sure he could hire a big name coach to replace him.

Well, it depends on what side of the "debate" you are on.

Those who love Farmer say that Haslam drafted Manziel and Pet drafted Gilber.

Those who don't like him, say that he drafted both guys.

The guys who love Farmer are the same ones who hated Banner. Obviously, there is no way that Haslam could have been involved in the firing of Chud. It had to be all Banner's idea.

rofl

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm pretty sure Chud's firing was mostly Haslam.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know if it was or not. I am not defending Banner on this one.

I just find it humorous how posters pick and choose who chose whom? LOL.........you gotta admit, it's pretty freaking funny.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Is there anyone on our current coaching staff qualified to be an interim head coach??

Link Copied to Clipboard