Legend
V
Good God!

Can it get any worse?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I cannot believe that in under 12 hours, we fire our inept coach and GM BUT then proceed to screw the entire search process by making the GM have little power and coach with barely any say on roster!!. Only in Cleveland

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No, it can't.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro.........I think I'm done.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
I cannot believe that in under 12 hours, we fire our inept coach and GM BUT then proceed to screw the entire search process by making the GM have little power and coach with barely any say on roster!!. Only in Cleveland

Yep we have striped our new GM and HC of power and given it to a lawyer who doesnt know a damn thing about football. I dontknow what could possibly go wrong in this scenerio lol.

I am sure Sean Payton and Drew Brees will be ready to jump on board the BrownTrain lol

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I'm a big fan of using math to get the best averages...unlike romeos.....gut feeling

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I am close to done also.

Haslam can kiss my butt.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Legend
Legend
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/03/30/Forty-Under-40/Sashi-Brown.aspx

Quote:
He made the move to Cleveland in 2013. With the Browns, he has expanded his responsibilities to include both business and football, dealing with sponsor, media and facility negotiations as well as cap management issues.

“I really enjoy both sides of the business,” Brown said. “As I move forward, I would hope to continue in that sort of role and not get pushed to either side.”

Guess that wish didn't come true.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Mourg,
Its like the Browns are in the movie "Ground Hog Day". Just when you think they cannot mess up, they figure out some way to screw up the situation. Get rid of coach/GM, promote contracts guy to over see roster!!. Well what GM or coach would want that job??

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Originally Posted By: DogNDC

Yep we have striped our new GM and HC of power and given it to a lawyer who doesnt know a damn thing about football. I dontknow what could possibly go wrong in this scenerio lol.

I am sure Sean Payton and Drew Brees will be ready to jump on board the BrownTrain lol

Probably end up pulling a HC from the high school ranks and the GM from the Enterprise Rental Car Management Training Program. thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Nah. Haslam is going to promote the area supervisor for area #3452 in the Pilot organization to GM. He wins the company fantasy football each week, so he really knows the league well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office.html

Quote:
Jimmy Haslam Owner
Dee Haslam Owner
Alec Scheiner President
Sashi Brown Executive Vice President, Football Operations
David A. Jenkins Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer

Makes sense now.

Scheiner is running everything and when it comes crashing down next season Sashi Brown is a fall guy.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haslam is going to act all surprised when NOT ONE GM or good coaching prospect wants to come here! We have a discount Jerry Jones as a owner that did not learn a thing from his time in Pittsburgh!! He was a minority owner, they might not have even let him know when the decision making meetings were being held

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe, but I think Dee, Sashi & Korn Ferry will want to cast a wider net. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Nah. Haslam is going to promote the area supervisor for area #3452 in the Pilot organization to GM. He wins the company fantasy football each week, so he really knows the league well.

I'm telling you, man. It's going to be Jake from State Farm!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We all know that the Browns will never be a winner. Haslam is just making sure that it never happens. I guess I'm still a fan...IDK I'm somewhat done with this whole circus that is the Clowns organization.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
This gave me a chuckle. Only in Cleveland.

Busted Coverage
@bustedcoverage
New guy in charge of football for the Browns was in charge of the Jacksonville Housing Authority in 2012.

Tweet

Did the homeless guy recommend him too?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
We need a guy with experience in the GM role. Lead candidate:

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Jimmy Haslam: Owning like a Brown.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
When he basically said they have three QBs under contract and that poor QB play was not an issue.

On the laundry list of issues that the 2015 Browns had, QB play was very low. I think that was his point.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CaptainCheckdown
We need a guy with experience in the GM role. Lead candidate:

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When u spend almost 90 mil on the defensive side of the ball and give up almost 30 pts a game in every freaking game, QB is the least of your worries.

2nd String
2nd String
Haslam reminds me of a child playing alone in his room with his toy army figures. "This time I'll try you as my general, but I'm still in charge"

Last edited by OrangeHelmet; 01/03/16 10:56 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think its too early to say what sashi will end up as. I can bet you that if a really great coach comes to us through a miracle that Haslem will let him have whatever he wants. At least I hope so because this move makes no sense at all to me otherwise.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
This gave me a chuckle. Only in Cleveland.

Busted Coverage
@bustedcoverage
New guy in charge of football for the Browns was in charge of the Jacksonville Housing Authority in 2012.

Tweet

Did the homeless guy recommend him too?

No, he's homeless. Therefore, strongly against the Housing Authority.

L
Legend
Legend
L
just about the worst possible scenario, scratch that..THE worst scenario that could play out just did..This might be the year to finally jump ship. Haslam is absolutely clueless. This fan base deserves so so much more

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Legend
Legend
C
Sashi Brown:

Quote:
Sashi Brown has been named the Browns’ executive vice president of football operations and will be a main part of the team’s four-person committee to find a new head coach.

Brown will join owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and Jed Hughes of the international consulting firm Korn Ferry in the search, which has commenced immediately following Sunday’s removal of Mike Pettine from the position.

The Browns will hire a coach first and then follow with the hiring of a general manager to replace Ray Farmer. The coach will be involved in the search for the general manager, who will be in charge of the Browns’ scouting department. Brown will work together with the new general manager to make the best possible decisions on the makeup of the Browns’ 53-man roster.

“Sashi, I believe is the right person to do this for the Cleveland Browns,” Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said at a Sunday news conference. “He’s been in the NFL for 10 plus years, has been involved in the cap, has been heavily involved in our football administration and operations for the last year or two. He’s very smart, very organized, good at systems and processes and an outstanding team player. He’s also very strategic, so we will use those skills and working for him will be a GM whose primary job will be talent acquisition.”
Brown has been with the Browns since January 2013 serving as the team’s executive vice president-general counsel. He spent the previous eight years with the Jacksonville Jaguars as the team’s general counsel. In March, Brown, a Boston native and Harvard Law graduate, was named to Sports Business Journal’s “Forty under 40” list.

“If you look at the Cleveland Browns and this is prior to our arrival and during the time period we’ve been involved with the team, we have not been good at talent acquisition and if you look at the teams that are successful, they’re very good at talent acquisition,” Haslam said. “That’s something that we have to get right and we think this set-up with somebody with a background in systems, processes, analytics and very strategic married up with a football person, if you will, who is very good at talent evaluation will hopefully put us in a position to win a lot more games than we have in the past.”

As he prepared to implement this structure for the Browns’ front office moving forward, Haslam looked at what the league’s premier teams have utilized during their years of success. He saw the Patriots, Packers and Seahawks thrive with different structures in place.
Each group found success because of the quality of people who were put in their respective roles and how they worked together, regardless of structure. Haslam expects more harmony with this set-up, and it starts with Brown in his new role.

“I think there’s an opportunity for us to work much closer together going forward than we have in the past,” Haslam said.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...3d-921a211f3068

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
In any business doesn't a more senior executive technically ALWAYS have final say? I think it comes down to what Razor said, it depends on how much he interferes, how much he assumes to know, how much he micro-manages.

I may make a decision at work, but my bosses, bosses, boss may be like "WTH? No." and trump my decision. He may not do this on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, but he's paid to keep us on the right path if we stray too far.

I also wonder if this had anything to do with the rift between Farmer and Pettine and needing an official "mediator".

I suppose I'm in the small minority here that enjoyed Haslam's press conference.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I thought his press conf was fine. I just think having a lawyer in change of all personnel decisions is flat doomed to fail.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't know if Sashi Brown is good at picking football players. It does seem like he is a very smart person.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Sashi Brown:

Quote:
The Sports Business Journal has named Cleveland Browns Executive Vice President/General Counsel Sashi Brown to its prestigious Forty under 40 list.

Brown, 38, arrived in Cleveland in January 2013, after serving as the Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2006-2012.

With the Browns and around the NFL, Brown is known as a master with the salary cap, but it’s his wider scope that has him earning national recognition. Brown does everything from negotiating player contracts to allocating funding on the stadium renovations, media and sponsorship deals.

This past February, Brown participated in the Browns’ leadership retreat. Alongside owner Jimmy Haslam, general manager Ray Farmer, coach Mike Pettine and president Alec Scheiner, the group met off-site to discuss the future of the organization.

“A challenge for NFL teams has been finding people that can bridge the gaps between business and football operations,” Brown said of his role in Cleveland. “Finding synergies and ways to work with people on both sides are unique and can provide tremendous value.

“Just having the opportunity to work with both sides of the organization is outstanding from my standpoint. Personally, it can be challenging. But organizationally it has a tremendous amount of upside for the Browns as we move forward – to make sure we are a collaborative group across the organization.”

Immediately after graduating with a Harvard Law degree in 2002, Brown found himself at the Wilmer-Cutler-Pickering law firm in Washington D.C., where his boss was Dick Cass – now the president of the Baltimore Ravens. Cass taught Brown the complexities of cutting deals and negotiating.

Alongside Brown was another young pup of a lawyer, Scheiner. The two bonded instantly as they worked on venture capital and private equity deals and have remained close ever since.

Other people Brown has confided in during his career include Jaguars owners Shahid Kahn (current), Wayne Weaver (past), NBA deputy commissioner and COO Mark Tatum and football people, too, such as Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio, Farmer and Pettine.

Throughout his years in sports, Brown said it would be hard to pinpoint a specific deal that’s his crown jewel, but in particular it’s his two years in Cleveland that elicits the most pride.

“I know there’s been some negative publicity, but the reality is we were a very, very competitive team in the division last year,” Brown said over the phone while he attended the Sports Business Journal banquet in Los Angeles. “We are improving the roster. We’ve renovated the stadium. We’ve really transformed our game day experience with VP Kevin Griffin at the helm of that. We’ve taken the franchise in a lot of positive directions.

“And it’s truly a privilege to work for a team in the league.”

Brown joins Scheiner and Executive Vice President/Chief Revenue Officer Brent Stehlik as three members of the Browns organizations who have been named to the Sports Business Journal’s annual list.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Sashi-Brown-named-to-Sports-Business-Journal%E2%80%99s-prestigious-40-under-40-list/efe4ed92-9570-4ec7-8d05-62019c4d7bdf

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:
“I know there’s been some negative publicity, but the reality is we were a very, very competitive team in the division last year,” Brown said over the phone while he attended the Sports Business Journal banquet in Los Angeles. “We are improving the roster. We’ve renovated the stadium. We’ve really transformed our game day experience with VP Kevin Griffin at the helm of that. We’ve taken the franchise in a lot of positive directions.

Yup, from Jimmy's mouth to Sashi's mouth.

Renovated the stadium. Transformed the game day experience.

And this guy will be in charge of the roster? I know high school coaches that wouldn't touch this team.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Business and marketing is more important than winning.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

The Factory of Sadness....now proudly brought to you by the Sushi Browns.

Edit - Twenty bucks says they start serving sushi in the mezzanine next year. Improves game day experience and all that.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 01/03/16 11:51 PM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Business and marketing is more important than winning.

Then why do the Haslam's keep firing people (which costs them money) when they have and are making money hand over fist with the status quo?

Seems counterproductive.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

I may make a decision at work, but my bosses, bosses, boss may be like "WTH? No." and trump my decision. He may not do this on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, but he's paid to keep us on the right path if we stray too far.

I think this is the hope with Brown. He won't meddle, but keep everyone in their lanes, so to speak. Whether it will be successful or not, remains to be seen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was referring to the emphasis on stadium renovations, fan experience, moving TC to Columbus, raising ticket prices, etc

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Understood.

On a side note, I think Scheiner not even being discussed by Haslam in football ops is interesting.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Wonder if connecting dots...Haslem is getting everything done quickly to hire Chip Kelly...remember Chip saying he wants to coach in the NFL and leave someone else in charge of personnel ...seems like we are rushing it

I give them 25 years after a new owner buys the team and actually is a fan of PROFESSIONAL football.

This new arrangement reeks of disaster from the onset. Where does Haslam get these bright ideas? I imagine when Jimmy goes to the other owners with these kinds of ideas the other owners laugh their butts off at him behind closed doors.

I'm sure the words "Jimmy" and "idiot" are used together pretty regularly.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sashi Brown is Promoted VP Ops

Link Copied to Clipboard