Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
As I said above, I think the GM will turn out to be nothing more than the "grocery shopper" for the head-coach. And if we can pull a coach like Cowher, Billick, Gruden, etc ... then I think that is really what people would like to see.

However, if we pull some no-name coach and hire a token GM, then I would really have to consider that theory about Haslam being a Steelers plant, trying to destroy the Browns from within.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I hope people actually read that article.

vers...I did not read that article but I agree with it...

...it's just common sense and all gm and hc candidates will see through Haslam's lil scheme.

It is just more evidence of how freaking dumb Flying J Jimmy is.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I hope he'll do a press conference soon. I'm intrigued to hear some of the follow up to Jimmy's comments last night. I'm also sure the media is chomping at the bit to talk about final decisions and hiring sequences.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Bbv
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
In any business doesn't a more senior executive technically ALWAYS have final say? I think it comes down to what Razor said, it depends on how much he interferes, how much he assumes to know, how much he micro-manages.

I may make a decision at work, but my bosses, bosses, boss may be like "WTH? No." and trump my decision. He may not do this on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, but he's paid to keep us on the right path if we stray too far.

I also wonder if this had anything to do with the rift between Farmer and Pettine and needing an official "mediator".

I suppose I'm in the small minority here that enjoyed Haslam's press conference.

Triple, chances are your bosses, bosses boss knows his job and how to keep things on the right path. I strongly question what Haslam knows about the football path and how to keep things going in the right direction, based on prior decisions he has made.

Hope you are correct!

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Because Sashi Brown has control over the 53-man roster

I have yet to read anything saying that SB has any final say stuff over the 53 man roster. I think this is a BOZO making up his own stuff of doom and gloom oh now our GM job is not the GM job so we cannot interview promising personnel guys without team permission. I meall Bozo Crap here. I'll apologize if anyone can show a team or SB quote saying he has final control of the roster not an article with a BOZO saying it is so. Then you got guys actually thinking its the truth.

jmho - Oh I just realized Sasha Brown his initials are SB is it possibly a good sign. Hey it as valid as BOZO CRAPOLA!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I suspect that the battle between Pettine and Farmer over 46/53 was interesting and revolved around Bowe.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I have yet to read anything saying that SB has any final say stuff over the 53 man roster.

I think Jimmy said it in his press conference last night.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks I'll try to go over it tonight when I get home!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: eotab
Because Sashi Brown has control over the 53-man roster

I have yet to read anything saying that SB has any final say stuff over the 53 man roster. I think this is a BOZO making up his own stuff of doom and gloom oh now our GM job is not the GM job so we cannot interview promising personnel guys without team permission. I meall Bozo Crap here. I'll apologize if anyone can show a team or SB quote saying he has final control of the roster not an article with a BOZO saying it is so. Then you got guys actually thinking its the truth.

jmho - Oh I just realized Sasha Brown his initials are SB is it possibly a good sign. Hey it as valid as BOZO CRAPOLA!

Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam: Sashi Brown will have final say on 53-man roster, handle salary cap. GM will focus on talent acquisition, scouts

Tweet

Well, you were right about one thing. A "bozo" said it. rofl

O
Legend
Legend
O
I said this last night and I'll say it again; "Money Ball".

I think Sashi Brown is the analytical critical thinker that is going to buffer the big egos of the HC/GM. Haslam said "Ultimate say over the 53 man roster" not "Final say", giving me the impression that he is the tie breaker merely listening to the arguments presented by the football guys (HC/GM) then filtering the ego and bias with statistics and making the call as to what is done. In cases where there is a consensus between the football guys he will defer (or should defer) to their judgement.

Not sure if I have this right or not, but it looks like Haslam is reigning in the GM/HC egos and infighting by putting a non-emotional non-football guy into his old role as the tie breaker. He has basically removed himself (a positive), defined each football guys role precisely (limiting interference, a positive), given the HC full control of coaching (a positive), and given the GM the streamlined priority role of finding better talent (removing the contract negotiations, and other non-football non-player-evaluation responsibilities, a positive).

This could turn out to be a great setup or another train wreck, time will tell.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I would like to know if Sashi Brown was responsible for the Bowe contract.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I would like to know if Sashi Brown was responsible for the Bowe contract.

negotiating it for sure..

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Who is Nate Ulrich...is he a spokesperson for the Browns? Where I guess that would count as official?

If so then I apologize to the other Bozo. If not then it don't count as they ape each other. I'll check the Haslam presser if he said it then that is the horses mouth.

The other thing is if he has that power does that down cast the position to the point of making hires? If so then stupid to declare it even if its true don't announce it until after the hires. Cause I think all things are suspect to change.

If there was a perfect hire in their minds and the guy says he will work with Sasha and the HC but the 53 man roster has to be his? They could change it?

I think the Sasha thing is to alleviate in power struggle he will be King Solomon settling all differences? Although if the HC has a hand in choosing who he can work with if we get utopia there should be not conflict and assume SB will go along with the football people agreement. If he has some Sports Science reason why not to go get them hopefully it will be convincing enough where both ends agree. Vers I have no clue if this is going to work or not. You know me the new guys are coming and I'll probably try my best to understand how its going to turn out good for us... Just being me.

Be kind. lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I turned on NFL Network, and man, they just blasted the way the Browns are doing this.

They mentioned that few candidates are going to be interested in the job the way it is structured. They mentioned that many candidates for GM might not even be allowed to interview by their current teams because of the fact that they gave Brown control of the roster and draft. They also were very much against analtics, saying that it just doesn't work in the NFL, and even in the NBA, using the example of the Sixers as a huge analytics driven team, that can't even accomplish anything but being the worst team in the NBA. Then they said that the Browns basically looked at 3 other teams in their division, who are all successful, and said, "Nope, we know better, and we're going to do it our way".

It was really discouraging.

*Sigh* It ain't easy being a Browns fan.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
As I said above, I think the GM will turn out to be nothing more than the "grocery shopper" for the head-coach. And if we can pull a coach like Cowher, Billick, Gruden, etc ... then I think that is really what people would like to see.

However, if we pull some no-name coach and hire a token GM, then I would really have to consider that theory about Haslam being a Steelers plant, trying to destroy the Browns from within.

NO GM nor HC would want to report daily to someone that doesnt know a damn thing about football. We will find another Mike Pettine 2.0 when all the qualified candidates tell us to take a hike.

I am a head coach thats produced wins and now you are asking me to report to a frekaing lawyer. this collaborative system has been in place since Jimmy Haslam took over and it has worked so well that we want to do it again. Seriously.

And a team built upon analytic based system, really? Football is a fine balance between talent and team chemistry. There is a place for it but the analytic guy should be reporting to the football guy to use the info not the other way around.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

And a team built upon analytic based system, really? Football is a fine balance between talent and team chemistry. There is a place for it but the analytic guy should be reporting to the football guy to use the info not the other way around.

Which is why I say that if Sashi Brown steps into thinking he is a football guy and making scouting decisions and such, we're doomed.

As long as all of those decisions stay with the GM, and Sashi knows his role and acts and just the mediator/tie-breaker between GM & HC, then we might be ok.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Listen to Haslam presser...
link

4:40...sashi, dee, jimmy search firm and HC...search committee for GM

8:45...sashi brown will have ultimate say on the roster.

10:25...sashi brown will have ultimate say over the draft board

Legend
Legend
The thing is, there is room for interpretation on how "ultimate say" is implemented.

If he is a hands-on micro-manager, this is bad. VERY bad.

If he is a hand-off manager that allows the GM to do his work and he only steps in when disputes arise, then this isn't bad at all.

In both cases, he would be the "ultimate say" - it just depends upon what type of manager he will be.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
...this set-up with somebody with a background in systems, processes, analytics and very strategic married up with a football person, if you will, who is very good at talent evaluation

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...3d-921a211f3068

Quote:
Are we over-reacting? I don't know although my initial reaction was pretty negative. Perhaps this setup can work but I, like others, forsee difficulties getting a competent person to fill the GM's role.

This is the same job Banner had with us. It can work, but I have little faith.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
I could post this in ANY of the new threads, pretty much: Please tell me you're all listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning.

We...are...a...JOKE

Mike and Mike are the last people I would listen when determining if something is a joke. They are the biggest joke around. Corporate shills that are made to look like a radio show.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I could post this in ANY of the new threads, pretty much: Please tell me you're all listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning.

We...are...a...JOKE

Mike and Mike are the last people I would listen when determining if something is a joke. They are the biggest joke around. Corporate shills that are made to look like a radio show.

Clarification. It was Herm Edwards and Chris Carter doing the talking. M & M never gave opinions.

I love it when it's not worth bringing up or reading if the wrong person said it. Do you not agree with me that the team is a joke?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
The thing is, there is room for interpretation on how "ultimate say" is implemented.

If he is a hands-on micro-manager, this is bad. VERY bad.

If he is a hand-off manager that allows the GM to do his work and he only steps in when disputes arise, then this isn't bad at all.

In both cases, he would be the "ultimate say" - it just depends upon what type of manager he will be.

prp...exactly...how do we interpret what Haslam said?

The only person that has any clue what "ultimate say" means...is Jimmy Haslam.

Is there anyone that believes Sashi Brown is going to have independent control to run the football side as he see fit?

NO, Sashi will have to run "everything" by Haslam first.

Haslam is still in position to meddle and control the football side, thru Sashi Brown whenever he wants.

Nothing has changed except Haslam placed someone between him and the GM/HC...someone who is in charge, according to Haslam.

If the Browns can find a top candidate dumb enough to work under that structure, more power to them.

Last edited by mac; 01/04/16 01:26 PM.

C
Legend
Legend
C

We...are...a...JOKE

Clarification. It was Herm Edwards and Chris Carter doing the talking. M & M never gave opinions.

I love it when it's not worth bringing up or reading if the wrong person said it. Do you not agree with me that the team is a joke?

I do not know if the team is a joke. I will take a wait and see approach (I am leaning towards joke). I do know that I will not let some talking heads help determine my opinion.

If we hire a coach everyone loves and a GM everyone loves, then in two weeks everyone will be saying how smart we are (whether we do that is another thing altogether). People love to dump on the teams that are done.

Legend
Legend
that's quite a brown move.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Who is Nate Ulrich...is he a spokesperson for the Browns? Where I guess that would count as official?

If so then I apologize to the other Bozo. If not then it don't count as they ape each other. I'll check the Haslam presser if he said it then that is the horses mouth.

On why the team will hire a head coach first and then a general manager and not the other way around:

“Remember, Sashi Brown’s job as executive vice president of football operations, he will have the ultimate say on the roster. If you think about it, we just think this makes more sense to hire the head coach first, then second to hire the talent acquisition or general manager.”

Jimmy Haslam press conference - 1/3

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...8d-e447e395cd95

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If we hire a coach everyone loves and a GM everyone loves,

IF that happens, I will be thrilled to say I was wrong.

I don't see it happening though, This job has become the least attractive job in the entire NFL. We'll hire a guy who makes Mike Pettine look like a top level coordinator, and probably wind up promoting a guy like Morocco Brown to "GM".

Then we'll have "Browns" at VP football operations and GM. Maybe we can hire Corwin Brown as coach, and have a "Brown" trifecta.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He is the beat reporter for the Akron Beacon Journal, who took over Pat McManaman's (sp) spot when he left the paper many years ago. He is a pretty solid beat guy, as well connected as just about anyone else, and a pretty respected guy.

I cannot recall any time where he reported something that wasn't heavily supported.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: eotab

If you don't believe a direct quote from Haslam's mouth, what will you believe? Does Haslam have to call you personally to tell you the news?

Legend
Legend
Interpret it however you want - it doesn't matter at this point. Time will tell us what it is, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Quote:
Haslam is still in position to meddle and control the football side, thru Sashi Brown whenever he wants.

Ummm... he owns the team. There is no scenario at all, ever, short of him selling the team, that has him NOT being able to precisely what you're complaining about. None.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Hey Jimmy...your new dumpster is shipping today.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Interpret it however you want - it doesn't matter at this point. Time will tell us what it is, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Quote:

Ummm... he owns the team. There is no scenario at all, ever, short of him selling the team, that has him NOT being able to precisely what you're complaining about. None.

prp...every owner in the NFL has the right to meddle and control as much as they want.

Some, like the Rooney's for example, have learned that giving control to the people they hired to run the football side of their operations, is a winning formula.

Haslam has not learned to trust the people he hired and he does things like draft an alcoholic QB in the first round then try to clear the deck for his hand picked QB to start by getting rid of the QB that lead the Browns to 7 wins last year and helped to take his new team (the Texans) to birth in the playoffs this year...all Hoyer did was win..and that was not good enough for Jimmy.

...Haslam didn't want Hoyer..he wanted his "boy" to be the starter and instructed Farmer to let Hoyer go.

Did Jimmy show good football judgment in that case?

Haslam and his decisions have played a huge role in the decline of that 7/9 team...try to get Haslam to admit it?

Haslam will lie his ass off to lay the blame for the decline of this team on someone else...but not him.

Haslam's lack of football sense is why this franchise is the worst in the NFL..and he still wants to have control to show everyone just how good he is.

Placing a yes man lawyer in charge of the football side does not absolve Haslam of responsibility for every future move this franchise makes.

I hope people can see through Haslam's smoke screen..but good luck getting a decent coach to agree to the power structure Haslam set up.

Last edited by mac; 01/04/16 02:11 PM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: mac
Haslam will lie his ass off to lay the blame for the decline of this team on someone else...but not him.]

Last night Haslam literally said that all of the blame is on him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haslam will lie his ass off to lay the blame for the decline of this team on someone else...but not him.]

yea but he didnt pull out the sword, aim it at his chest and fall forward.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

cfr...Haslam was not very specific and his comment was the usual general "blame me" for this mess.

Specifics matter and the move that Haslam forced at QB and the decline of the defensive line, not resigning our own players on defense...you will never get haslam to admit his involvement..but fans need to remember, Haslam was in charge of this 3-13 team.

Building on that 7-9 team...Haslam failed...just another example of Haslam lack of judgement.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam: Sashi Brown will have final say on 53-man roster, handle salary cap. GM will focus on talent acquisition, scouts

Tweet

Well, you were right about one thing. A "bozo" said it. rofl

Supposedly Haslam is putting together the same management tree Seattle implemented.

I tried finding who Pete Carroll reports directly too. John Schneider reports to the president.

From what I read Sashi Brown is suppose to be a very level headed and analytical. Sounds like a Joe Banner type.

Haslam isn't attempting an untested organizational tree. Key will most definitely reside on the owner, GM, and HC communicating. It works in Seattle. In my opinion, the communication structure isn't design to support Seattle's success more the people make it work. If there is a power struggle, in my opinion, it gets ugly.

I believe HC hired must have experience. In this structure, HC has major influence. As for the GM, I see a strong person in player evaluation will thrive. Steelers Kevin Colbert works more in this structure.

Legend
Legend
This model suggests that we are focused on building a team that the marketeers can be proud of, promoters who will steal us blind while the dead cow is milked and the dead horse beaten some more for our own good reward for being such a loyal fan base.

This hogwash sounds less like NFL football than anything I have seen in my life. Because the committee consensus groupthink has panned so much gold thus far.

I remain concerned that a lot of the deciding is done and in place already. This window dressing is in place to look thorough for appearances. Just wonder how much is in place already, and how much damage is done already. Hope I am wrong.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Supposedly Haslam is putting together the same management tree Seattle implemented.

I tried finding who Pete Carroll reports directly too. John Schneider reports to the president.

Some info that might help...
Chairman.............Paul Allen

Executive VP/General Manager....John Schneider

Head Coach has personnel authority

link

You could not be any further from the truth...Pete Carrol is responsible to himself...he is in charge of personnel.

Jimmy Haslam is looking for a fool for HC...someone who is willing to allow Haslam to approve all moves in personnel.

Last edited by mac; 01/04/16 02:33 PM.

Legend
Legend
More credibility than Grossi and MKC? That is hard to swallow!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

It may help to keep a few facts in mind about Haslam.

He is a new owner. The job is not easy. He owned up for his failure and rightfully so.

Before jumping into the deep end over the recently made moves how about seeing the results first.

Fabricated conspiracies lack truth.

Haslam as an owner may prove to be right or wrong. Modell started his ownership with a Championship after that it didn't work out so well.

It may be beneficial to take a deep breath and see how things turn out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It may have been beneficial to give a coach a little bit of time to see if he worked out.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sashi Brown is Promoted VP Ops

Link Copied to Clipboard