Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1064489 01/11/16 05:48 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Please, would a ref move the old, locked Mock Drafts thread to this forum for future searching?

Here's one:

1. QB Jared Goff, Cal
2. WR Josh Doctson, TCU
3. ILB Scooby Wright, III Arizona
4. CB Zack Sanchez, Oklahoma
5. DE Anthony Zettel, Penn State
A. FS Trevon Stewart, Houston
B. OLB Tyrone Holmes, Montana
C. WR Nelson Spruce, Colorado
6. WR Devin Lucien, Arizona State
7. ILB Beniquez Brown, Miss St
D. C Mitch Smothers, Arkansas

Offense: 24
QB: Goff, McCown, Davis
RB: Crowell, Johnson, UDFA/UFA
FB: UDFA/UFA
WX: Doctson, Benjamin,
WZ: Hartline, Lucien
WY: Spruce, Hall
TE: Barnidge, Bibbs, Telfer
LT: Thomas, Miller
LG: Bitonio, Pasztor
C: Erving, Smothers
RG: Greco
RT: Schwartz

NT: Shelton, Meder
3T: Hughes, Zettel
5T: D. Bryant, Cooper
SB: A. Bryant, Holmes
TB: Dansby, Kirksey
MB: Wright, Brown
WB: Orchard, Mingo
CB: Haden, T. Williams, Sanchez, Gilbert
NB: K. Williams, IEO
FS: Stewart, Poyer
SS: Whitner, Campbell

Special Teams: 5
K: UDFA/UFA
P: Lee
LS: Hughlett
RS: Mostert
ST: Moore

Here's another one.

1. Traded to DAL for #4, #34, 2017 3rd rounder. DAL selects Goff.
1. WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
2. WR Josh Doctson, TCU
2. OLB Carl Nassib, Penn St.
3. QB Dak Prescott, Miss St.
4. CB Zack Sanchez, Oklahoma
5. DE Anthony Zettel, Penn St.
A. ILB Cassanova McKinzy, Auburn
B. FS Trevon Stewart, Houston
C. OLB Tyrone Holmes, Montana
6. RB Aaron Green, TCU
7. ILB Beniquez Brown, Miss St

QB: McCown, Prescott, Davis
RB: Crowell, Johnson, Green
WX: Treadwell, Benjamin
WZ: Doctson, Hall
WY: Hartline, Hawkins

NT: Shelton, Meder
3T: Hughes, Zettel
5T: D. Bryant, Cooper
SB: A. Bryant, Holmes
TB: Dansby, McKinzy
MB: Kirksey, Brown
WB: Nassib, Orchard
CB: Haden, T. Williams, Sanchez, Gilbert

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the 2nd one better, although both are good. I have a bit of a man crush on Treadwell but don't see us taking him unless we trade down in the first. Prescott is growing on me too.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about one where we take Bosa with the #2 pick?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The second one looks pretty awesome. Not sure how reasonable it is, but it looks a lot better than the first one.

steve, what are your thoughts on Ragland?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure that Dak Prescott falls to the 3rd, but if he does, jump at the chance to take him there. Mocks are always a bit pie in the sky, but I like both of those so far.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I like the 2nd one better, although both are good. I have a bit of a man crush on Treadwell but don't see us taking him unless we trade down in the first. Prescott is growing on me too.

Yeah I think a trade with Dallas (4) or San Fran (7) is reasonable/plausible if Goff separates himself from the chorus in traditional scouting circles but the numbers tell us not to take him. If we want Treadwell, though, we can't get behind Baltimore. Newsome is a chalk drafter and Treadwell would clearly be the best player on the board there. They took Perriman in the first last year but they have totally different skill sets. If we stick with a 3-4 I'm heavily leaning towards Treadwell right now as our pick.

Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Not sure that Dak Prescott falls to the 3rd, but if he does, jump at the chance to take him there. Mocks are always a bit pie in the sky, but I like both of those so far.
Yeah it's hard to say but it's just a matter of how many teams would take QBs in the first two rounds: San Fran, Dallas, Philly, St. Louis, Houston are all possibilities. Don't know where Manning could end up next year, or Bradford for that matter. Griffin. Our third is pick 65, so that's still pretty high.

Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think he's a good piece to a good defense, but I don't think he's a game changer type LB. I wouldn't use our first on him. JMO.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I think he's a good piece to a good defense, but I don't think he's a game changer type LB. I wouldn't use our first on him. JMO.

I need to watch more of him, but I really like what I've seen. I think he is the kind of guy you win with. I think he comes off blocks very well. I think he is very physical. I think he would add a toughness to this defense. I think he is surprisingly good in zone coverages, especially taking away the seams. That's kinda amazing given his size.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I need to watch more of him, but I really like what I've seen. I think he is the kind of guy you win with. I think he comes off blocks very well. I think he is very physical. I think he would add a toughness to this defense. I think he is surprisingly good in zone coverages, especially taking away the seams. That's kinda amazing given his size.

I agree with most of these things, but I also think he has benefitted tremendously from having those dominant three guys in front of him. I also have seen him blocked effectively. Like I said, I think he's a good player but I don't think he's an impact player where's he's going to go out and change a game by himself. Clemson was turning the corner on him too much for my liking. Tennessee especially... Jalen Hurd was running right around him this year. He is a good hitter, but is he a more impactful player than CJ Mosely was? I don't think so. Would I use our first rounder on CJ Mosely? Not a chance.

If you need someone to fill the role of an inside run stopper who is going to do a reliable job of tackling on an otherwise complete defense, you can draft him in the first round. One of the things I feel like our team really lacks is guys who will step up and make a play when it's needed. Not just guys who are good at their job and effective in their role... they need people who will make the plays that win the game. I don't think Ragland is one of those guys. At least, I haven't seen it. That's my thinking on it anyways.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Only saw bits and pieces of the game last night, but the guy that impressed me was Kevin Dodd DE Clemson. He's a redshirt junior. Probably a 2nd rounder if he comes out this year. He he performs next year, he'll go top half of the 1st.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Who here really has any faith the Browns can find real players with their picks rounds one through three?

I sure don't. With as many first rounders we've had, one would think our team would be the fort Knox of player personnel. However it couldn't be as much a polar opposite than that.

Don't make fun, and I'm trying not to be a negative Nancy, but I won't take part in mock drafts anymore. It's just not fun and when we actually do draft, it never works or pans out.

I feel like a deflated balloon.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
How about one where we take Bosa with the #2 pick?

1. DE Joey Bosa, Ohio State
2. WR Josh Doctson, TCU
4. OLB Eric Striker, Oklahoma
5. CB Cyrus Jones, Alabama
B. DE Tyrone Holmes, Montana
6. QB Nate Sudfeld, Indiana
7. WR Devin Lucien, Arizona State

QB: McCown, Sudfeld, Davis
WX: Doctson, Benjamin,
WY: Spruce, Hall

Defense: 24
LE: A. Bryant, Holmes
NT: Hughes, Shelton
UT: D. Bryant, Cooper
RE: Bosa, ? {Orchard? Mingo? Maybe make Des Bryant a DE and keep Starks? Keep Kruger? A free agent?}
SB: Orchard, Mingo
MB: Dansby, Wright
WB: Striker, Kirksey
CB: Haden, T. Williams, Jones, Gilbert

=========================================================

I'm not particularly satisfied how that came out. We're really going to have to draft heavy defense if we switch to a 4-3 and want to be competitive.

1. DE Joey Bosa, Ohio State
2. DE Carl Nassib, Penn State
4. OLB Eric Striker, Oklahoma
5. WR Keyarris Garrett, Tulsa
B. DE Tyrone Holmes, Montana
6. QB Nate Sudfeld, Indiana
7. WR Devin Lucien, Arizona State

QB: McCown, Sudfeld, Davis
WX: Benjamin, Garrett
WY: Spruce, Hawkins

Defense: 24
LE: A. Bryant, Nassib
NT: Hughes, Shelton
UT: D. Bryant, Cooper
RE: Bosa, Holmes
SB: Orchard, Mingo
MB: Dansby, Wright
WB: Striker, Kirksey
CB: Haden, T. Williams, Gaines, Gilbert

==============================================

In these drafts, Wright takes over for Dansby when Dansby is done. Maybe Karlos plays some SLB with Wright in the middle.

The second draft, I did nothing to address the corners. It's hard to cover everything when you have to completely retool the defense, but I think with those guys added (Bosa, Nassib, Holmes, Striker, and Wright) you are adding a TON of pressure on the QB. Not to mention, you're putting Armonty at his natural position. I think this draft and depth chart would get a much better pass rush.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Only saw bits and pieces of the game last night, but the guy that impressed me was Kevin Dodd DE Clemson. He's a redshirt junior. Probably a 2nd rounder if he comes out this year. He he performs next year, he'll go top half of the 1st.

Yeah Dodd has been a really nice looking pass rusher every time I've caught Clemson this year. The guys they have on defense are just so long... kinda reminds me of the LSU secondary year after year with those freakishly long arms.

Legend
Legend
I'm totally worried about Erving at Center.. Really worried about that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Many said he was playing a lot better late in the season. I couldn't tell, but others said he was.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Highly unlikely, but barring any existing movement and if the Erving experiment fails...I see this:

LT Thomas
LG Bitonio
C Greco
RG Pasztor
RT Schwartz

Can that work? Obviously need some depth. Hopefully Erving gets in the weight room and develops his technique.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good call. Totally forgot the Greco has experience at center.

I think we lose Schwartz to free agency.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think we lose Schwartz to free agency.

At this point, I think I'd be wise to tag Schwartz. We can't afford to have our rookie QB get killed.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We'll have Math on our side...the UNIVERSAL Language!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
1st Round
1 Tennessee Laremy Tunsil, OT Ole Miss Health Insurance for Mariota
2 Cleveland Jared Goff, QB Cal If Hue Jackson can make Andy Dalton work, he can certainly make Jared Goff work.
3 San Diego Ronnie Stanley, OT Notre Dame San Diego's OL has been running on fumes for years.
4 Dallas Joey Bosa, DE Ohio State With Greg Hardy hitting free agency, Demarcus Lawrence and Randy gregory are undersized.
5 Jacksonville Jalen Ramsey, CB Florida State Jacksonville's corners are bad, no OT worth taking at this point.
6 Baltimore Laquon Treadwell, WR Ole Miss Chalk pick. Great fit, too.
7 San Francisco Myles Jack, ILB UCLA San Fran sees the impact that Mack made in Oakland, has a giant hole at ILB after players retired.
8 Miami Shaq Lawson, DE Clemson Miami will need outside pass rush with contracts expiring and cap exploded.
9 Tampa Bay Vernon Hargreaves III, CB Florida Tampa also depsperately needs CBs.
10 NY Giants DeForest Buckner, DE Oregon JPP only has one hand. Seems to fit in with the Giants' large pass rushers.
11 Chicago A'Shawn Robinson, NT Alabama A real NT for their 3-4 defense.
12 New Orleans Mackensie Alexander, CB Clemson Worst passing defense in the league.
13 Philadelphia Paxton Lynch, QB Memphis Sam Bradford was a bust in Philly. Sanchize is not the long-term answer.
14 Oakland Emmanuel Ogbah, DE Oklahoma State Allows Mack to stay at linebacker, backfill old Justin Tuck.
15 St. Louis Robert Nkemdiche, DT Ole Miss Interior line has expiring contracts, pair Nkemdiche with Aaron Donald.
16 Detroit Ezekiel Elliot, RB Ohio State Detroit needs a real workhorse threat out of the backfield, not Joique Bell.
17 Atlanta Reggie Ragland, LB Alabama Atlanta limped by with Paul Worrilow at MLB, but I can't imagine he'll warrant a second contract with them.
18 Indianapolis Jon Allen, DE Alabama New DC stated he's emphasizing the pass rush and keeping base 3-4. Allen had 12 sacks this year as a DE.
19 Buffalo Jarran Reed, DE Alabama The third Tide defender in a row, Rex Ryan says he's going to take the Bills defense more into his system this upcoming year than last, when he tried to blend the previous system for continuity.
20 NY Jets Taylor Decker, OT Ohio State D'Brick's play is declining and they need a shirt-term RT answer as well.
21 Washington Darron Lee, LB Ohio State To add some speed to the linebacking corps.
22 Green Bay (f/ HOU) Jason Spriggs, OT Indiana One of the best pass protectors in the draft. Someone has to protect the franchise. (Not a real trade, a mocked trade)
23 Minnesota Jack Conklin, OT Michigan State Better pass protection for Bridgewater while maintaining a good push for the ground game.
24 Cincinnati Jaylon Smith, LB Notre Dame They already have Andre Smith's replacement drafted in Ogbueghi and/or Fisher, and Jones' replacement in Dennard. Cincy can stash a good player and an anti-Burfict for next season in Smith.
25 Pittsburgh Eli Apple, CB Ohio State Pittsburgh's secondary was torched this year.
26 Seattle Leonard Floyd, OLB Georgia It will be difficult to keep Bruce Irvin in Seattle's cap. Floyd would be a natural replacement if they decide to not go OL.
27 Houston (f/ GB) Derrick Henry, RB Alabama Houston needs a quarterback. They also need a running back. Only one of those is worth taking here at this point.
28 Kansas City Shon Coleman, OT Auburn KC has been having OL issues for years. They got a keeper last year with Morse, but RT is stil a big need.
30 Denver Jonathan Bullard, DE Florida Denver doesn't have a lot of cap room and if they want any shot at keeping Von Miller, they will have to let several defensive linemen walk. In my opinion, it's the right thing to do so they grab Bullard to start rebuilding.
29 Arizona Noah Spence, OLB Eastern Kentucky The Cardinals get the most explosive pass rusher in the draft at the end of the first round. They have a history of being able to shape guys with troubled histories.
31 Carolina Corey Coleman, WR Baylor With Kelvin Benjamin coming back, adding the talented and shifty Coleman would put more weapons in Newton's arsenal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's a pretty good mock. Matches up need and top available talent quite well.

I don't like the StL pick. I think they are pretty set at D-line unless they are going to be losing some free agents. I would prefer that they take one of the OT's that get taken later in the round. I can see them reaching on a Qb. And if one of those Cb's taken before their pick should happen to fall then that is another direction that they could go.

The Indy pick is certainly a possibility but if they are smart, they will beef up that offensive line and give Luck some protection.

Pitt - It seems like they have an affinity for drafting Buckeyes don't they?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I know you spend a ton of time on the draft, so I trust your judgement. Is Goff (or any QB in this class) worthy of #2 overall?

Also, on the last 2 mocks you posted a few posts above, no Pryor and no Gordon on the roster - intentional or oops? I presume Pryor was intentional, but not Gordon.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

I'm worried about that and Crowell being our main RB too. Dude is down at first contact 95% of the time.

So many needs....

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for the feedback, Jester.

St. Louis has a lot of important contracts expiring this season. Both their starting corners, Nick Fairley, and William Hayes are the biggest in my opinion. It is hard to say what they will look at in the draft until they are done re-signing guys, but I don't think they'll be able to keep everyone. If I were them, I would focus on getting Jenkins and Johnson re-signed. I do NOT think Fisher would overdraft one of the QBs. It goes against his hubris I think. OL makes sense as you've pointed out, but Nkemdiche is the best player and they can put him in rotation at DT and at DE.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I like Jenkins. I think he is very underrated.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't actually think Goff is a top 5 player, I'm just forcing myself to accept it. Seems inevitable. Personally I'd rather grab Treadwell and one or two other good guys at receiver and get Prescott or maybe Sudfeld at QB. But I don't think that's going to happen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't forget an impact pass rusher.

C
Legend
Legend
C

We basically need everything besides guards and a left tackle. I can possibly be talked into us not needing a running back. The same goes for linebacker (depending on the defense). Dansby, Kirksey, and Robertson might be serviceable if we run a 4-3, although Dansby looked like he was running with cement blocks on his feet during some games. I guess Lee is pretty good too. So our list of things we don't need includes G, LT, RB (maybe), LB (maybe), and P.

We need a QB, FB, WR, TE, C, RT, pretty much an entire defensive line (depending on the defense we play), outside linebackers (if we are running a 3-4), corner, safety, and kicker.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/that. This is just my opinion, but given our needs, the players available, and the importance of each position.......I would go into this draft w/this mindset:

1. Impact WR who can use his body to shield off defenders and also score on sudden plays.

2. A pass rusher that makes team game plan for him.

3. A cornerback w/very good hips.

I think that the pass rusher might be an even bigger need than the WR. I'm not sure. I put it in that order because I think this isn't the greatest year for WRs and we might need to grab one very early and frankly, because I had to put them in some sort of order. LOL

I think we might be able to get a guy like Spence at 32. Maybe not, but I am hoping.

I think this is a good year for corners and we might be able to get one w/our 3rd pick.

I might take a flyer on a later round qb. Prescott? Hogan? Meh.........I won't be disappointed if we ignore the position this year.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good point on accepting it. Unless of course we pull something else off.

I liked McCarron coming out of school, but I think the asking price may be a 2nd or 2nd plus conditional after the last 4 games he played, and the fact we're in the AFCN.

I liked Jimmy Garoppolo coming out of school too, but he hasn't hit much of the field in New England. And there's no FA QB I like that much. Bradford or Osweiler are likely best available, unless somehow Cousins hits the market. Of course RGIII and Cutler may also hit the market, but I'm not sure I want either of those guys, though all mentioned may be upgrades.

I like Treadwell, but would prefer him 5-10 if we could move down...and if we move to 4-3D, I like Bosa. Tunsil may be the best in the draft, and would be interesting to throw at RT for a few years, but I'm not sure I'd do that. Miles Jack is about the only other player that is top 10 projected I have much interest in so far. Not a huge fan of this draft early. I think 15 to probably 45 or so is where there's the best value.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We basically need everything besides guards and a left tackle. I can possibly be talked into us not needing a running back. The same goes for linebacker (depending on the defense). Dansby, Kirksey, and Robertson might be serviceable if we run a 4-3, although Dansby looked like he was running with cement blocks on his feet during some games. I guess Lee is pretty good too. So our list of things we don't need includes G, LT, RB (maybe), LB (maybe), and P.

We need a QB, FB, WR, TE, C, RT, pretty much an entire defensive line (depending on the defense we play), outside linebackers (if we are running a 3-4), corner, safety, and kicker.

Punter, don't forget we are set at punter!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Question...We have the 32nd pick. Will this pick be considered the final pick of the 1st round or the 1st pick of the 2nd round? It may seem an unimportant distinction, but actually it is very important. The first pick of Day 2 usually has a lot of attention on the previous night and is much sought after. A potential trade at #32...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
it's a second round pick

it also matters for the contract length. there will be no 5th year option for that player.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Absolutely. Honestly the mocks I've put up that I've liked the most are the ones where we load up on stud WRs or stud pass rushers. I'm dreading using a 1st or 2nd on a QB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'll change several times over... wink

Bosa at #2 and Cook at #32.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
it's a second round pick

it also matters for the contract length. there will be no 5th year option for that player.

Thanks, 'steve. As for dreading drafting a QB early, I imagine it will depend on the new coach and if we want Manziel back or not. If no, then absolutely we draft one...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
I'll change several times over... wink

Bosa at #2 and Cook at #32.

jmho

Are there any leadership concerns with Cook? Just wondering.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've come off the idea of Goff at #2. There are just too many high end, all pro type players to be had there, I think we're going to end up with the "Bengals" model where they took the best player (AJ Green) and then took Dalton in round two.

I think EO's idea of Cook and Bosa isn't far off. Maybe Bosa and a trade up for Goff? Or Jaylon Smith and a QB. I think the gap between the elite, high end players and the best QB is probably too vast to justify.

We'll see what Hue says.

BpG #1065556 01/13/16 03:20 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
I've come off the idea of Goff at #2. There are just too many high end, all pro type players to be had there, I think we're going to end up with the "Bengals" model where they took the best player (AJ Green) and then took Dalton in round two.

I think EO's idea of Cook and Bosa isn't far off. Maybe Bosa and a trade up for Goff? Or Jaylon Smith and a QB. I think the gap between the elite, high end players and the best QB is probably too vast to justify.

We'll see what Hue says.

lol, that's quite a departure from "Jared Goff no matter what."

I would be happy if they went with Treadwell or Bosa at 2, Doctson at 32, then got a QB later if they like one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns need TALENT. Please do NOT force a QB at #2 and whiff on a player who has MORE TALENT. Too many holes to fill at this point to force a pick. JMO

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Originally Posted By: BpG

We'll see what Hue says.

lol, that's quite a departure from "Jared Goff no matter what."

I would be happy if they went with Treadwell or Bosa at 2, Doctson at 32, then got a QB later if they like one.

and now that I'm thinking about it again, I'm definitely waffling because Bosa is going #1 and I forgot Smith has a blown out knee.

I'm back on Jared Goff. I will conceded though it's possible it does't happen and I could be happy with it.

Edit: and you know what, with the write ups I've seen on Goff, he might be there in round 2 for us.

Last edited by BpG; 01/13/16 03:53 PM.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Mock Drafts Pt. II

Link Copied to Clipboard