Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
if this is the republicans idea of viable tax plan, i want no part of that. that's an republican ran legislator, with a republican governor. those numbers are ugly.

did more digging as well. LLC's don't have to pay a state income tax. like....none.

people on social media that live in kansas are talking about how the road conditions have plummeted lately. other services have also plummeted.

but like my former platoon sergeant says "that trickle down economics, yo"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kansas-tax-collections-7m-below-233827504.html

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas collected $7 million less in taxes than expected in January, and a top aide to Republican Gov. Sam Brownback said Monday that ongoing problems in key parts of the state's economy are to blame.

The report Monday from the Department of Revenue came with the House Appropriations and Senate Ways and Means committees preparing later this week to debate proposals for balancing the budget for the fiscal year beginning July 1. The deficit had been projected at $190 million; the shortfall in January pushes it close to $200 million.

The department said the state collected $535 million in taxes last month instead of the $542 million projected in a fiscal forecast issued in November. The shortfall is 1.3 percent. Kansas tax collections have fallen short of expectations in six of the seven months of this fiscal year.

The main culprits were disappointing corporate income tax collections and lower-than-anticipated sales tax collections. Revenue Secretary Nick Jordan said the state's agriculture and energy industries continue to struggle.

"It's pretty obvious that it's oil and ag economies. Those people, they aren't working. They're being laid off or their profits are down," Jordan said during an interview. "They're just not spending."

Since the current fiscal year began in July, the state has collected $3.38 billion in taxes. That's $26 million less than anticipated, a shortfall of 0.8 percent.

Kansas has struggled to balance its budget since the Republican-dominated Legislature slashed personal income taxes in 2012 and 2013 at Brownback's urging in an effort to stimulate the economy. GOP legislators last year increased sales and cigarette taxes to head off a deficit in the current budget.

Democrats blame Brownback's fiscal policies for the state's budget problems.

"It's time for Governor Brownback and Republicans in the Legislature to admit that what we're doing isn't working," House Minority Leader Tom Burroughs, a Kansas City Democrat, said in a statement.

Brownback has argued that the income tax cuts have stimulated the economy to prevent larger shortfalls in tax collections with slumps in agriculture, energy production and aviation. The state's unemployment rate in December was 3.9 percent, the lowest figure in nearly 15 years.

"We need those sectors to come back," said House Majority Leader Jene Vickrey, a Louisburg Republican.

The Department of Revenue noted that personal income tax collections actually were a bright spot in the latest report, exceeding expectations for the month. Though personal income tax collections for the past seven months were lower than anticipated, they're still running slightly ahead of collections during the same period in 2014-15.

But Sen. Laura Kelly, of Topeka, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Ways and Means Committee, said with the income tax cuts, Kansas relies more heavily on its sales tax to finance state government.

"That's why you don't cut off a leg to the stool, because sometimes the other legs are going to get wobbly," she said.

Later, she added: "We keep denying we have a problem. We keep sticking our head in the sand, living in La-La Land."

Last edited by Swish; 02/02/16 08:59 AM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe they should try to get Detroit's elected democrats to come fix their problems...dont like them...hell how about Chicago's democrats....sorry man I'll take republican lead state, city 9 times out of 10.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
divide and concur...keep pointing the finger boys, thatll help.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
ok I'll give a suggestion to their problems...maybe they should go to a command economic system...that will fix their problems no?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The entire state of Michigan is ran by republicans. Ya know, replican governor and all.

Last edited by Swish; 02/02/16 12:44 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
what is Detroit run by?? and Chicago?? what is Texas run by? honestly dont keep up with this stuff...and I did say 9 out of 10 times tongue

Last edited by FBHO71; 02/02/16 12:50 PM.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lol. The cities still need support from the state government.

Both hose democratic ran cities are watched over by.... Which party, again?

Anyway, back to Kansas. Sup with them? The only thing they got going for them is a boss college BB squad.

Last edited by Swish; 02/02/16 12:51 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wish we could divide the country into one side liberal/democrat and the other side republican and tea party types...I know where Id be living.

I'll bow out of this because frankly it is a no win argument for me not because of anything you have to say but because it doesnt really matter I have no control over it and I shouldnt have responded..

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
You took the bait...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know...bowing out now superconfused

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
The entire state of Michigan is ran by republicans. Ya know, replican governor and all.

yes, they have had a republican governor for 4 or 5 years.... before that it was 8 years under a democrat, before that 12 years under a Republican, before that 8 years under a democrat... Maybe they should wake up and realize that the governor (whether D or R) isn't the reason they are struggling...

I don't know anything about this group, but they rank states based on which ones are poised for the most economic growth...

Economic Competitiveness

1. Utah - Republican governor since 1985
2. North Dakota - Republican governor
3. Indiana - Republican governor
4. North Carolina - Republican governor
46. New Jersey
47. Connecticut
48. Minnesota
49. Vermont
50. New York

Now some of these at the top were preceded by democrats, some bounce back and forth...

As far as Kansas, maybe Brownback is just a moron? Not a republican moron, just a moron.. maybe, like Michigan, there is something else holding the state back that isn't all about the governor.. Until this notion that D good, R bad (or vice versa) stops... don't look for things to improve much.

yebat' Putin
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think there are some awesome republican governors.

Like my own, Kasich. Dude is straight.

I'm just saying that the Kansas governor did the republican style tax plan word for word, and it ain't looking to good.

I know a lot of conservatives think taxes are the devil, but come on yo.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Arps
You took the bait...

Come on arps. You almost did too. Come to the dark side my friend.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
Come to the dark side my friend

Well atleast you acknowledge the liberals/democrats are the dark side tongue

Just kidding man have a great afternoon...Ive got grown folks stuff to do.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I hate adulting. I just watched about 1800 in expenses go down the drain today. Stupid rent plus other bills.

Gotta take the car in for service today, that's gonna hurt, and then gotta get my girls some new school clothes.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
LLCs have pass through taxes meaning the owners pay income tax on their earnings. Nobody is getting away without paying taxes.

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
LLCs have pass through taxes meaning the owners pay income tax on their earnings. Nobody is getting away without paying taxes.

I can't speak for other states, but, at least here in Ohio, my business doesn't pay taxes - I do.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I can't speak for other states, but, at least here in Ohio, my business doesn't pay taxes - I do.

It's for all states. The IRS officially classifies them as a Sole Proprieter if a single owner, or a partnership if multiple owners. And so whoever is collecting the money from the LLC has to pay taxes on that income.

No Craps Given
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Wasn't aware of that. I thought all businesses had to pay.

Thanks for the schooling, Eve!!

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I'm just saying that the Kansas governor did the republican style tax plan word for word, and it ain't looking to good.

Unfortunately, I think the horse is out of the barn... too many people in this country are now dependent, in one form or another, on government handouts.. whether it's corporate welfare, individual welfare, subsidies of some kind, etc.. Look at a guy like me, financially comfortable, never taken a dime from the government directly.. but without those handouts and subsidies, my food prices would go up considerably, my gas prices would go up considerably, darn near everything I buy would get more expensive. So I can say I'm not dependent on the government, but if the government bailed on all of those tax incentives and subsidies, it would be like me taking a massive pay cut. Neither side has a plan to actually FIX the problem, largely because neither side WANTS to fix the problem.. they like having you and me and everybody else on a leash, whether it's directly or indirectly. They argue about tweaking it slightly up or down but not really in any meaningful fashion.. the only person who has a plan to change it dramatically is Bernie Sanders, and his plan is to to add a choke collar to go with the leash.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I cant remember the article I read but it was something like 60% or hell it might be higher receives their income in one form or another from the government that is incredible but not surprising to me.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One of the business I' was a silent partner in was part of the ISO 9000 so hell I'm guilty of the same thing...government cheese I ate it brownie

E
Legend
Legend
E
You're welcome. If you don't want to pay state income tax, there are several states that don't collect income tax from anyone...individuals or companies. But i think their sales tax is probably higher.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah they make up for it in other areas for sure...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Once again, the federal government has to stop mandating what states can spend money on. The fed should only be doing their parts, like regulating interstate commerce, the military, border control, etc. They should not be involved in welfare, health care, education, or other such nonsense. Local government works best when it's local. The federal government should make block grants to the states based on tax revenue and population from those states. They should not be withholding money to force the states to follow federal regulations.

That being said, some of our states are in such disrepair, it will take years to fix it. Not just a single term of any governor. Seeing as a great many of these states, like MI, have a republican governor and democrat mayors everywhere, it's hard to fix all the problems. My state is a great example. In VA, the northern part of the state tends to vote D, because they survive off the largess of the federal government. Some of the richest areas in the country are in the democrat stronghold. The SE of VA, where all the Navy bases are, tend to vote republican, or they risk base closure. The west of VA waffles between the two parties, as they are a bunch of union coal miners. Unions, coal mines, and global warming alarmists do not get along very well.

Our system of government has been broken down by special interests for years. I would prefer to see the republican party get back to being conservative, just like I'd like to see the democrats become more conservative like they were in the 60s. As Reagan said, "The government is not the solution. The government is the problem." Time to cut them down to size, or we all drown.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
The government is the problem." Time to cut them down to size, or we all drown.

Thats my feelings also...government is supposed to fear the populace not the other way around.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Dude is a major jackass thumbsdown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a41976/sam-brownback-kansas-budget/

So the Governor wants to attempt to balance the budget by taking more than 340 million dollars from the education budget, primarily from k-12 grade, also effecting some universities.

Cut the taxes for the rich, they said. The rich will create more jobs, they said.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So he is a terrible Governor I say...And doesnt know what he is doing I say poke

Legend
Legend

I really hope people don't honestly hate on Kasich because of how he talks. Obama was highly thought of as a speaker and well, I'll just end if there tongue

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yea, I don't care if you start sweating on the podium and completely forget the speech.

Just do your job effectively.

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
You're welcome. If you don't want to pay state income tax, there are several states that don't collect income tax from anyone...individuals or companies. But i think their sales tax is probably higher.

Tennessee is one of them, and yes, the sales tax is higher.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc I didnt quite know where to put this...but what a crap story for Indianapolis.

http://www.indystar.com/story/money/2016...-jobs/80181804/

A
Legend
Legend
A
Something very similar happened here - 8? 10 years ago? Company decided to move to Mexico. About 2 years ago, the company decided to move their production back to the U.S. Not here, but back to the states.

Why? Productivity sucked. Employees showing up for work was bad.......equipment got used and abused.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Something very similar happened here - 8? 10 years ago? Company decided to move to Mexico. About 2 years ago, the company decided to move their production back to the U.S. Not here, but back to the states.

Why? Productivity sucked. Employees showing up for work was bad.......equipment got used and abused.

I'm not real surprised to hear that Arch...There are some decent paying jobs leaving there...Kind of was hoping someone from that area could tell more about the why's...

Legend
Legend
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a41976/sam-brownback-kansas-budget/

So the Governor wants to attempt to balance the budget by taking more than 340 million dollars from the education budget, primarily from k-12 grade, also effecting some universities.

Cut the taxes for the rich, they said. The rich will create more jobs, they said.

You don't have to look very far to see similar bad choices made in another state... a state much closer to your home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answ...n-in-his-state/

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I dont understand why republicans seem to want a less educated population.

Last edited by Swish; 02/11/16 12:24 AM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Well, seeing as many republicans claim to be capitalists, maybe they just see how much money democrats and liberals have made over decades by jacking the cost of education while simultaneously decreasing the quality of education?

I just think they simply want their cut is all.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend

Maybe because they don't their kids being taught this crap

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
that common core thing isn't from us.

that's just some BS neither party likes except a select few.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Kansas tax collections $7M below expectations last month

Link Copied to Clipboard