Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I went to Church one day and found a message board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1078870 02/15/16 02:07 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Did you Zika out the Lord?

PitDAWG #1078871 02/15/16 02:08 PM
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

Church is "ekklessia" which means assembly. Whereever two or more are gathered in Christ's name, you have an ekklessia.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1577&t=KJV

Don't get me wrong, I believe in belonging to a regualar fellowship, but I also believe believers can gather together in houses, in open air, and even on the internet.

Also, church is the people, not the building or place that they meet in.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 02:10 PM.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Deleted by user

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 02:16 PM.
Swish #1078875 02/15/16 02:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
as i stated before, because of your posting history, i simply can't trust you enough for it to be something else.

And your posting history is what, exactly?

Quote:
once again, you're focusing on small pox and Zika, but you haven't said anything to me challenging you on your STD comment.

we can cure small pox.

No, we can't. There is no cure for small pox. We can inoculate once someone is infected, with the hope that it will lesson the effects of the virus. It's a shame you keep believing that you know what you are talking about.

As for STDs: In 1998-2000, the US government saw an increase in reported cases of drug resistant gonorrhea. They saw another spike in DRG in 2014. In both instances, illegal immigration increased. Some of it might be caused here, some not. Granted, the cure is simple for these diseases, but liberals don't like the solution (don't fool around without protection, limit your partners).

As for your assertions on Zika, there is not enough information. Yes, 1 in 5 show symptoms, but that does not mean they don't have the disease. The CDC still reports there are no instances of transmission other than mosquito, but they have not updated their site to reflect recent news. The incubation period is not known, nor how long it stays in one's system. The prevention methods are very simple, 'don't get bit.' Right now for all the CDC knows, some people might have a natural resistance. As most Americans have not been exposed to southern hemisphere viruses, we might not.

To add to Zika, Dengue, Chikungunya, and Chagas are currently showing up in the country. Those are mostly South American. Drug resistant TB is coming in from Afghanistan, Pakistan, South Africa, Ghana, Peru, and India. We shouldn't allow those people easy access across the border either.

Maybe you should do a bit more research. You seem to think that diseases are stagnant. Here's a nice little report on drug resistance by WHO. By the statements made here, there is no reason to allow anyone into the country without their health being checked and that person being inoculated appropriately. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/amr-report/en/

As I said before, there were reasons for Ellis Island, with one of those being quarantine. Illegal immigration is wrong to begin with, but this goes further than that.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
[quote=LA Brown fan]

As it is with many other diseases, yes!

I keep reading and finding posts to me that are then deleted. LB did it earlier. What gives guys? Are you trying to delete me? willynilly
Many have tried and failed on that one.

I am like poop on your shoe, you just can't seem to get it all. brownie

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 02/15/16 02:26 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A question for everyone...

Do you think God has a sense of humor?

Legend
Legend
judging by the way some people look, i'd say yes.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Of course.

Look at this year's field of presidential candidates.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1078897 02/15/16 03:10 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Here we gooooo rofl

Legend
Legend
Judging by what you said about Trump in the debate thread, you'd better pray he does. wink

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1078900 02/15/16 03:15 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Judging by what you said about Trump in the debate thread, you'd better pray he does. wink

I spoke just like Trump in that post, said a bunch without saying anything. Wonder if others caught that?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: LA Brown fan
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

Church is "ekklessia" which means assembly. Whereever two or more are gathered in Christ's name, you have an ekklessia.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1577&t=KJV

Don't get me wrong, I believe in belonging to a regualar fellowship, but I also believe believers can gather together in houses, in open air, and even on the internet.

Also, church is the people, not the building or place that they meet in.

This is absolutely correct.

My concern is that many people who do not go to church never crack the Bible open. Not all, but I would bet that most never do.

Heck, I would bet that half of the people who do go to church regularly never crack their Bibles outside of church.

My church has a much older congregation, combined with a fairly strong youth group. It is weird that those in the middle are largely missing. Anyway, we have a weekly Bible study, and it is always very well attended, but mainly by the older part of our congregation. Our youth are somewhat sporadic as far as church service attendance, but they do come to youth group, which always has a Bible study.

My point is that the people who attend our church are in their Bibles regularly. I worry that this is not so among those who call themselves Christians, but do not attend church. (again, not all) I worry about those who call themselves Christian, but who encourage and try to justify sin in the name of fairness. There is real danger today, in that people take single verses, out of context, to justify their actions. I know. I did it for a very long time. I justified a lot, and created a god who suited my wishes and desires, instead of following the Holy God who gave me life. I used individual verses of the Bible to try to convince myself that what I was doing was right. Unfortunately, I still see this happening quite frequently in the world today. I pray that those who are where I was will see the light, and change their ways. I pray that they will read their Bibles, instead of assuming that they know what the Bible says. I truly believe that this is the greatest danger in today's information era ..... that people receive incorrect, or incomplete information, and that it costs many who never bother to read their Bibles for themselves.

I was one of those people. I thank God that He reached down, took mercy on me, and saved me from myself. I pray that He will use me to at least help others down the same path He put me on. If He does, then my life will have been a success.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

I spoke just like Trump in that post, said a bunch without saying anything. Wonder if others caught that?

You need to toss in a few derogatory remarks about others to get the real stench that is Trump.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1078914 02/15/16 03:47 PM
Legend
Legend

You need to toss in a few derogatory remarks about others to get the real stench that is Trump.

And a few baseless threats, as well. Don't forget to lie about your opponent, and completely misrepresent what your opponent has done in the past.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

And a few baseless threats, as well. Don't forget to lie about your opponent, and completely misrepresent what your opponent has done in the past.

Are you still talking about trump, or is this about all of them?

Legend
Legend
Baseless threats is all about Trump.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Interesting and great post, and I posted a very similar post in a Christian forum, but before I paste it here, what kinds of instances do you see Christians using verses to justify sin? (just so I can know where you are coming from)

Anyways, here is the post I was talking about. It was in response to someone who said that Jesus will receive anyone who comes to Him, (which I agree with, if they come in true repentance and faith, or else He will lead them to that if they do come to Him sincerely, which is how He worked with me. I came to Him, and He shone His Light on me and I was instantly changed, even though at first I didnt know what coming to Him really involved)

quote from the Bible forum- Yes, Jesus will receive anyone and everyone that comes to Him, but remember that many, MULTITUDES came to Him that did not remain with Him. Even by the end of this very chapter many of His disciples no longer walked with Him, because they could not receive His Words (John 6:66). I am convinced that many people come to Jesus on their own terms, but do not really come to Him on His terms. Very similar to those who seek to worship God, but only if God is to their liking, or if they can somehow fashion a God in their mind that is more palatable to them then the God of the Bible.

So Jesus will not cast anyone out who comes to Him, but some will cast Jesus out by not receiving Him for WHO HE TRULY IS. They will pay Him lip service, but merely be confessing a name without confessing the one behind the name.

Just some things I've been thinking about...Not saying this applies to anyone here, but just things considered in my own self reflection on thoughts and attitudes that I myself have had in the past.

The more God reveals Himself to me, the more the strongholds of my own thoughts are brought down. When this occurs, one of two things can happen. One can either walk away like the folks in John 6:66 because God wasnt quite who we'd thought He would be, or we would rejoice and press even closer for He is greater and more wonderful than we could ever have imagined.

It all depends on what we are setting our minds upon...unquote

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 04:12 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What about this and people who don't have it all quite right?

Luke9 49 John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” 50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The church I attend (The Rocky Hill Congregational Church - or simply RHCC) has a great new pastor - Pastor Craig.

Yesterday his sermon was about the Temptation of Christ (when Jesus went into the desert and didn’t eat for 40 days and the devil tempted him with riches and power), It’s a Lent story

There were only ~ 40 people in church yesterday (it was -10 degrees here yesterday morning)

The sermon was riveting.

An example (I’m paraphrasing here): “Jesus could very possibly have been hallucinating when he encountered the devil. I might hallucinate if I didn’t eat for a couple days.”

Pastor Craig is a gifted orator. Not only in delivery but also context.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21…

Your God has been angry ( and jealous, and petty and bloodthirsty ) for a long long time .

IRE 45 #1078946 02/15/16 05:35 PM
Legend
Legend
well, judging by that scripture.

anybody who has ever had a teenager and didn't have them stoned are wrong in the eyes of the lord.

repent!!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
"Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." (Numbers 31:16-18)

Here is a doozy . Save the virgins for your own use . Yup, I want to pattern my life from the pages of this book .

Another question I have is why isn't the original Greek version of the Bible considered to be the most honest as it IS the oldest and likely the most historically accurate . Why the need for Bible lite versions ?

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
What about this and people who don't have it all quite right?

Luke9 49 John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” 50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”

You don't have to be 100% accurate on every minute detail. I don't think anyone is. But casting out devils and doing many wonderful works does not necessarily mean one is a Christian...

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I used to pin my hopes on "I must be a Christian because God is using me in such and such a way". But I have found that it is foolish to pin my hopes on something like that, because God can use anyone to bring Himself glory. Now I know that all I can do is cast myself on the mercy of Jesus, who alone can save me...and it is His Grace that produces fruit when we do so.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Congrats on your new pastor. May God bless Him, annoint and empower him.

IRE 45 #1078957 02/15/16 06:13 PM
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted By: IRE 45
If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21…

Your God has been angry ( and jealous, and petty and bloodthirsty ) for a long long time .

Yep, that's what they did under the OLD COVENANT, which had a purpose of PRESERVING the nation of Israel until Messiah came.

Rebellious children growing up to be rebellious adults lead to downfall of nations. It will eventually lead to the downfall of our nation. That's fine, it's almost unavoidable. But God had to keep Israel preserved so that the Promised seed could come through that nation. Even with all the protections in place, the Jews struggled to maintain their identity, and only by the GRACE OF GOD was she preserved.

BTW, Christians don't live under the Old Covenant so we don't stone our children, we have no problem with trimming the edge of our beards, or wearing mixed garments,and such (all the things skeptics point out because they don't know the difference between the Old and New Covenant and the purpose of the Old Covenant.) Those Laws were provisional for the Nation of Israel, and are no longer needed once Messiah came.

You cannot quote Old Covenant commandments like these and try to say that this is part of Christianity. These types of commandments were under another dispensation.

Now the commandments from the Old Covenant that are REPEATED in the New Testament...that's a different matter.

Most people dont know how to exegete the Bible, so they come to inaccurate conclusions.

Swish #1078958 02/15/16 06:16 PM
L
All Pro
All Pro
L

anybody who has ever had a teenager and didn't have them stoned are wrong in the eyes of the lord.

repent!!!!

We're not living under the Old Covenant. The commandments that you are quoting related to the nation of Israel under the Old Covenant dispensation. Anyone who has seriously read the New Testament (particularly the writings of Paul) knows about the division between the Old and New Covenant.

Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant and brought in a better covenant. The Old Covenant was provisional and temporary, it's purpose was to preserve the nation of Israel and make preparations for the coming of Jesus the Christ.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 07:13 PM.
Swish #1078959 02/15/16 06:17 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

repent!!!!

Oh please. Most teenagers are stoned nowadays.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

repent!!!!

Oh please. Most teenagers are stoned nowadays.

This is what Rabbi Paul said about the things that are being quoted out of context by Ire and Swish.

Galatians 3: What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

(The seed is Jesus, a reference to the seed of Abraham through whom all nations of the earth would be blessed) The nation of Israel partially fulfilled that prophecy, but Jesus fulfilled it perfectly)

Galatians 3:24- Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

I don't stone my rebellious children because I am not living under the OLD COVENANT, which covenant was temporary and provisional, and many of the precepts placed in it for the purpose of PRESERVING the nation of Israel until the promised seed (Jesus) would come.

God had to take extra precautions with Israel, because He knew satan would be gunning for it with both barrels. If you study the history of the nation of Israel, they were attacked in many ways, and the only thing that preserved them as a seperate and distinct people was the Grace of God and the Torah (Law)

But the church is not the BCE nation of Israel, so we are not under the precepts that Ire and Swish are quoting, (but we are under the parts that are repeated in the N.T)

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 06:35 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I used to pin my hopes on "I must be a Christian because God is using me in such and such a way". But I have found that it is foolish to pin my hopes on something like that, because God can use anyone to bring Himself glory. Now I know that all I can do is cast myself on the mercy of Jesus, who alone can save me...and it is His Grace that produces fruit when we do so.

Like thumbsup

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
So then Man has the authority to change Gods word to fit a newer shinier , less violet more loving version of what they think God wants ?

Gods word changes according to who is writing it is what you are telling me ?

What happened to the versions you didn't like as a religion ?
Are they still Gods word or did the rewrite strip them of the trademarks?

How about the Greek version ? You admit that it the earliest therefore the most accurate version so why the rewrite ?

IRE 45 #1078967 02/15/16 06:36 PM
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted By: IRE 45
So then Man has the authority to change Gods word to fit a newer shinier , less violet more loving version of what they think God wants ?

Gods word changes according to who is writing it is what you are telling me ?

What happened to the versions you didn't like as a religion ?
Are they still Gods word or did the rewrite strip them of the trademarks?

How about the Greek version ? You admit that it the earliest therefore the most accurate version so why the rewrite ?

Man didnt change it. It wasnt changed, it was perfected (in the sense of FINISHED, God's revelation was progressive until Jesus came (Hebrews 1:1-2) God spoke to the fathers in bits and pieces but in these last days HAS SPOKEN (perfect tense) through His SON.

Man didnt do it, God did!!

The Old Covenant was PROVISIONAL. It was put in place in order to preserve the Nation of Israel and as preparation for the coming of Messiah, who is the LOGOS (Word) of God.

As to the rest...What versions are you referring to?

As far as the Greek, I love to read the New Testament in Greek.

I think it would be well for every Christian to know the Koine Greek and the Hebrew languages. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 06:53 PM.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Oh and by the way, I never said the earliest Greek MSS are the most accurate, but I don't have any problem with either the Byzantine or the Alexandrian Texts. I get the same Gospel if I read either one.

I pretty much agree with James White's take on the Greek manuscript families.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 07:02 PM.
Legend
Legend
I haven't read the thread, I see it has turned into a discussion of scriptural meanings.. .but back to the premise.. Yes, I assume God is very angry, just probably not for the reasons or at the people that most would expect.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1078975 02/15/16 06:55 PM
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
This sounds interesting...for example?

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 06:57 PM.
Legend
Legend
This sounds interesting...for example?

Sure. Most people start with the assumption that God would first be angry at the nonbelievers and the unrepentant and the "hardcore sinners", those who get or perform an abortion, those who are gay, etc.. I try very hard to not guess what God is thinking.. but my guess is that if He came to earth today, his wrath would begin with the church. Those who profess believe but do not live the belief, those who hate in His name, those who are more concerned with casting blame and calling out sin than introducing nonbelievers to the LOVE of Jesus, those who put themselves on a pedestal and put others in a ditch rather than lifting people up, those who think an hour a week and $50 in the plate is good enough, those who seek to spread the gospel through law or intimidation or shaming rather than through loving face to face conversation and honest sincerity, those who refuse to go into THEIR OWN church and flip over the tables of the money changers opting instead to defend them and explain them as necessary, those who would profess Jesus but ignore those in need, those who would rather fight about the literal meaning of a passage (a method, by the way, which I doubt has ever led one single person to Jesus) than to just following the example He set.....

I usually skim past religious stuff on facebook because most of it annoys me. Jesus isn't going to do me any favors for forwarding an amen and the reason I don't forward it is not because I'm "ashamed"...... but one caught my eye the other day. It was a picture of a guy in a small boat in the middle of a lake as the sun was either coming up or going down, couldn't really tell.. and the caption said, "Religion is sitting in church thinking about kayaking.. Faith is sitting in a kayak thinking about God."

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1078984 02/15/16 07:21 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
If God is real, religion is his largest adversary.

DCDAWGFAN #1078985 02/15/16 07:22 PM
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Gentlemen, the proverbial nail has been hit.

'Nuff said. (as Stan Lee would say)

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
If God is real, religion is his largest adversary.

He is and you're right.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
DCDAWGFAN #1078993 02/15/16 07:36 PM
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
I agree with you on these.Good post

I agree with you that the thing that angers God is hypocrites, but I also think that He is angered by those who try to pervert or attack His Word. Most of the New Testament is APOLOGETIC in nature. I put emphasis on both Evangelism and Apologetics, just as the apostles did.

Not only for the sake of unbelievers, but also for other believers.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 02/15/16 07:42 PM.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... God is Angry

Link Copied to Clipboard