Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Conditional picks cannot be traded.

Didn't the Titans trade us a 2016 condition pick for RB Terrance West?

Compensatory picks cannot be traded - e.g. the extra picks the NFL gives to teams that lose valuable free agents without getting a reasonable replacement.

A conditional pick is a type of trade item.

Yes, true.

After reading his post again, Menphis could have meant trading compensatory picks..or conditional picks? IDK

Memphis definitely meant conditional pick.

Legend
Legend

Didn't they change the rule on trading compensatory draft picks?

Never mind. Evidently that starts in 2017. (when we should probably have 4 really high compensatory picks)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I meant a conditional pick.

For example: 49ers trade CK to Cleveland for a conditional 2017 5th round pick that could turn into a 3rd rounder, based on certain performance parameters met.

(Not saying I'm for or against this, it's just an easy example.)

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c..

Listening to 92.3 FM earlier and they had the sports columnist/sports director of the San Francisco Examiner on and he essentially said it is Jed York talking to the Ian Raoport's, Adam Scheffer's regarding the Kaepernick trade. He sated Jed is trying to create a market to trade Kap so they can move on from him.

I'm starting to believe less and less the Browns will trade for him. It never made sense to begin with.

As for Elway, I think Fitzpatrick makes more sense in Denver than Kaepernick.

We'll see how it plays out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
SF Gets
#2 Overall Pick (Goff/Wentz)

Cleveland Gets
QB Colin Kaepernick
#7 Overall Pick
#68 Overall Pick
2017 2nd Round Pick

What an intriguing idea! Bears consideration...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Compensatory picks cannot be traded - e.g. the extra picks the NFL gives to teams that lose valuable free agents without getting a reasonable replacement.

A conditional pick is a type of trade item.

Yes, true.

After reading his post again, Menphis could have meant trading compensatory picks..or conditional picks? IDK

Memphis definitely meant conditional pick.

So yes we can trade for Kap for conditional pick/s based on Kap's performance and play time in 2016.....In case anyone doesn't remember here's what happened to us with T. West.

"The Brown's traded their 2014 third-round pick out of Towson, to the Titans for the conditional 2016 pick, which hinged on playing time. West didn't play at all since that trip back to FirstEnergy Stadium, and was let go by the team. In two games for the Titans, he carried the ball 16 times for 51 yards with the two lost fumbles. It's been a precipitous fall for a player who led the Browns with 171 carries and 673 yards a rookie. But the Browns grew weary of West's immaturity, and shipped him south for a late-round pick. (2016 7th Rd)

Now they don't even have that 7th rounder this year for a player they traded up for in 2014, sending their fourth- and sixth-round picks to San Francisco to move up to No. 94 in the third round."

So basically we gave the Titans a free ride by shipping them T. West who cost us two draft picks in the 2014 draft. Brilliant! Boy did we get played....again!

Brilliant! 3 draft picks lost.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
SF Gets
#2 Overall Pick (Goff/Wentz)

Cleveland Gets
QB Colin Kaepernick
#7 Overall Pick
#68 Overall Pick
2017 2nd Round Pick

If we don't like Goff or Wentz, this would make a lot of sense for us. There is not much difference talent wise in picks two and seven this year and we would accumulate even more picks.

I am just not sure why the 49ers would do that. The jump from #2 to #7 is not all that valuable.

Legend
Legend
Niners prepared to retain Kap if trade cannot be worked out

By Michael Silver
NFL Media columnist
Published: March 11, 2016 at 01:03 p.m.
0 Likes | 0 Comments

While the Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns attempt to work out a trade for Colin Kaepernick, the49ers are preparing for a third scenario -- retaining the 28-year-old quarterback and allowing him to compete with Blaine Gabbert for the starting job under new coach Chip Kelly in 2016.

Kaepernick, benched for Gabbert midway through last season and coming off three surgeries, will be guaranteed his $12 million salary for 2016 if he remains on the Niners' roster on April 1. Given the recent explosion of quarterback contracts, including the Houston Texans' signing of former Broncosbackup Brock Osweiler to a four-year, $72-million deal on Wednesday, the 49ers believe Kaepernick's salary isn't too much to swallow for a player who'd theoretically have a chance to be their starter this season.

The agents for Kaepernick, who guided the Ninersto within five yards of a Super Bowl XLVII victory three seasons ago and took them to the brink of another NFC championship the following year requested a trade during last month's NFL scouting combine.
Talks have heated up in recent days with theBroncos, who are scrambling to find a new starter in the wake of Peyton Manning's retirement and Osweiler's departure, and with the Browns, who released former first-round pick Johnny Manziel on Friday and have 36-year-old Josh McCown as their top returning quarterback.

The Broncos and 49ers remain apart on compensation, with San Francisco seeking a second-round draft pick in exchange for Kaepernick. The Broncos have had discussions with Kaepernick's agents about a restructured deal for the quarterback, and a source familiar with the conversations characterized those talks as productive. Denver has also reached out to the agents for free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose negotiations for a potential return as the New York Jets' starter have stalled.

The Jets, multiple team front office sources say, have not made any serious inquiries to the 49ersabout Kaepernick, but they are exploring several other possibilities in the event that they do not reach a deal with Fitzpatrick. Former starter Geno Smith, the team's second-round pick in 2013, remains on the roster.

The Browns hold the second overall pick, putting them in position to draft one of the top-rated incoming quarterbacks, Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz. Even if the Brownswere to trade for Kaepernick, they would still consider taking Goff or Wentz with the second overall selection.

As of Friday, talks between the Browns and Kaepernick's agents on a restructured deal had not progressed to a point that would satisfy the quarterback enough to green-light the arrangement. The49ers and Browns, meanwhile, are in general agreement regarding the draft-pick compensation that it would take to acquire Kaepernick.

If nothing gives in the next couple of days -- meaning that neither theBroncos nor Browns could finalize agreements (involving trade compensation and contract restructuring) that would satisfy both the49ers and Kaepernick, respectively-the Niners are preparing to move on and initiate a quarterback competition. Though general manager Trent Baalke is extremely high on Gabbert, a formerJacksonville Jaguars first-round pick, Kelly is intrigued by the idea of coaching Kaepernick, whose mobility and athleticism would seem to fit the coach's system.

Though Kaepernick might not be thrilled with the arrangement, the Niners would rightfully contend that they attempted to work out a trade, but that neither party (the team nor the player) was ultimately satisfied with the proposals that were on the table.

Theoretically, the 49ers could then try to trade Kaepernick following the 2016 season -- or, if he is their entrenched starter, allow him to play out a relatively team friendly contract that lasts through the 2019 campaign.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-be-worked-over

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I meant a conditional pick.

I thought so ..."clwb419" posted teams can't trade conditional picks which is a false statement that I was trying to clear up here.

Thanks

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I think this is relevant to the Kaepernick rumors...

Quote:
The #Broncos have traded for #Eagles QB Mark Sanchez in exchange for a 2017 conditional pick, source said (@MikeKlis on it 1st)

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/708359036903759873

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
j/c:

I think this is relevant to the Kaepernick rumors...

Quote:
The #Broncos have traded for #Eagles QB Mark Sanchez in exchange for a 2017 conditional pick, source said (@MikeKlis on it 1st)

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/708359036903759873

Good move.

Sanchez has shown he can rid a top level defense to at least a conference title game..

They need to improve their running game.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
As of Friday, talks between the Browns and Kaepernick's agents on a restructured deal had not progressed to a point that would satisfy the quarterback enough to green-light the arrangement. The 49ers and Browns, meanwhile, are in general agreement regarding the draft-pick compensation that it would take to acquire Kaepernick.

Good or bad, this paragraph leads me to believe a deal will happen between SF and CLE. 49ers are good with the deal according to Silver and we just have to worry about the contract re-structuring. Colin wants out of SF too from all reports.

Plus, with the Denver trade, the market might have gotten smaller.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I would rather have Sanchez than Kaepernick.

And if we acquire Kaepernick and do not draft a QB, I think that will be a mistake.

I don't know what Harbaugh did to get the most of the kid, but after teams figured out he couldn't process information from the pocket, he was toast. He literally cannot do the one thing that will make him a bonafide starter in the league. This would be a major reclamation project for Hue. I just don't see much upside. And I don't see where the time and effort are worth it.

And I can't imagine Goff or Wentz could be worse.

The weird thing about this team is you always say things can't get any worse. But the Browns somehow manage to do it.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:
As of Friday, talks between the Browns and Kaepernick's agents on a restructured deal had not progressed to a point that would satisfy the quarterback enough to green-light the arrangement. The 49ers and Browns, meanwhile, are in general agreement regarding the draft-pick compensation that it would take to acquire Kaepernick.

Good or bad, this paragraph leads me to believe a deal will happen between SF and CLE. 49ers are good with the deal according to Silver and we just have to worry about the contract re-structuring. Colin wants out of SF too from all reports.

Plus, with the Denver trade, the market might have gotten smaller.

Bad,bad as in biblical proportions bad.Trading a high round pick for a do-do head immature QB,who will self implode in Cleveland,is just downright stupid.
But,it is just what I would expect the Harvard eggheads to do.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rather have Tebow

Legend
Legend
I cannot even fathom the logic being used for this. We may as well make an offer to Tebow, too, if all we care about is a guy that can run but not play QB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
The weird thing about this team is you always say things can't get any worse. But the Browns somehow manage to do it.

I've felt this way with about every move since last years training camp.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Lane Adkins is tweeting through a very thin veil that Kaep to Cleveland is almost done. I don't know if I believe him. He kinda just seems to say things that are "mostly likely" but lots of pepole seem to think he has an inside source.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I cannot even fathom the logic being used for this. We may as well make an offer to Tebow, too, if all we care about is a guy that can run but not play QB.

At the very, bottom, least - we should bring Tebow in to say a prayer for our team. We'll need any and all help we can possibly get.

S
SM3 Offline
Rookie
Rookie
S
make the trade for Kap, then draft Goff or Wentz, if either of them is not available, then take Paxton Lynch and let him develop. The whole time you Keep McCown on the roster and all of a sudden our QB situation is much better than last year.

Legend
Legend
Yes, but Kaep does nothing to contribute to that, and we waste a draft pick and cap money on him in the process.

Can Tebow perform exorcisms?

Browns is the Browns

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

I'm an idiot, I was thinking compensatory picks. Ignore me:)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good god!

We just got rid of that bum Manziel and now they're looking at the closest overhyped QB???

What is wrong with this franchise?

Kaep at least has some natural talent, something Manziel lacked, but it's mostly only body/athleticism. He's just as football dumb as Johnny and Weeden upstairs when it comes to throwing/decision making. He's sort of a mix between Johnny and Weeden, lol and that's not meant as a compliment

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:
He's sort of a mix between Johnny and Weeden, lol and that's not meant as a compliment

Good thing you clarified that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No,that's not how it will work.
They bring in Kap,McCown will be gone.That will leave Kap as the mentor to the 1st round rookie QB.
A mentor that is immature,and lacking in basic football IQ so badly,that he couldn't function in an offense that was so dumbed down,that he was basically told where to throw the ball on each play.
Good god,as I typed that I realized just how idiotic this move would be.
Ok,if they do trade for Kap,please don't draft a QB,as his career will be destroyed before it ever has a chance to succeed.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
He's sort of a mix between Johnny and Weeden, lol and that's not meant as a compliment

Good thing you clarified that.

So he floats on a swan, drinks out of a champagne bottle and plays baseball... rofl

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I don't see them gettin rid of McCown.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
At this point I'm thinking stick with McCown and bring in a young signal caller... McCown wasn't terrible last season. Give the man a line, a viable running game and the Browns might win 6 games next season, if the defense isn't too terrible.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Originally Posted By: Doo_Doo_Brown
At this point I'm thinking stick with McCown and bring in a young signal caller... McCown wasn't terrible last season. Give the man a line, a viable running game and the Browns might win 6 games next season, if the defense isn't too terrible.

Our line lost three starters, we lost our leading receiver, and our RBs will be the same.

And McCown won one game.

I like McCown, but our team appears to be worse now than it was. I don't think QB was the main reason we were so terrible last year, but McCown didn't really elevate the team to victory week in week out.

I'd keep him as a mentor, though.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

yea... look what he did for johnny...

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:

yea... look what he did for johnny...

yeah, i am sure that's on McCown

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you bring in Kap , you don't draft a QB at #2 in the up coming draft .. You hold off a year or two while you rebuild AGAIN ! Away to many holes to fill ..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

[/quote] Our line lost three starters, [/quote]

wait...what? did I miss something? I thought we only lost two starting linemen

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101

Our line lost three starters, [/quote]

wait...what? did I miss something? I thought we only lost two starting linemen
[/quote]

Good catch.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
Originally Posted By: Doo_Doo_Brown

Our line lost three starters, we lost our leading receiver, and our RBs will be the same.

And McCown won one game.

I like McCown, but our team appears to be worse now than it was. I don't think QB was the main reason we were so terrible last year, but McCown didn't really elevate the team to victory week in week out.

Who was the third Oline Starter that we lost..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Below are Kaepernicks contract numbers...

PLAYER......POS...AGE...EXP.....CONTRACT TERMS......AVG SALARY.....GUARANTEED.....EXPIRES..
Kaepernick..QB....28......5........6 yr$114,000,000.......$19,000,000.......$61,000,000.........2021...

Just a few weeks ago, Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam said the following..

"We are not going to go out and spend a gazillion dollars in free agency," Haslam said that night in the bowels of FirstEnergy Stadium. "We are going to build through the draft because we are firmly convinced that is the right way to do it."

After Haslam's Harvard educated front office failed to sign any of the Browns free agents on Wednesday after proclaiming resigning them would be a priority...it now appears that Haslam and his Harvard boys are about to do exactly what they said they would not do...

...throw a ton of cap dollars at a QB who had 3 surgeries during this off season.

I have to ask, is Haslam a "Pathological Liar" ...

This is the definition of a Pathological liar...a liar that is compulsive or impulsive, lies on a regular basis and is unable to control their lying.

As a lifelong Browns fan, I don't know what to make of this guy. As of now, Haslam has to ranked as "the worst" owner in the NFL...this franchise needs a new owner...someone who can tell the truth!

jmho..mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Check the post right above you where I conceded that I did, in fact, make an error.

Not that it really changes the point of my post.

Legend
Legend
His 2016 full salary becomes guaranteed on April 1st - we just need to sit tight and wait for them to release him by March 31st if we're stupid enough to actually want him here.

There is no reason at all we should be entertaining the idea of renegotiating a $100 million contract.

For anyone curious, this is his contract. Those numbers are insane, especially for a contract you're thinking about trading for.

2016 - $11.9m salary, $1.125m roster bonus, $400k workout bonus
2017 - $14.5m salary, $2.0m roster, $400k workout
2018 - $15.0m salary, $2.0m roster, $400k workout
2019 - $16.8m salary, $2.0m roster, $400k workout
2020 - $19.0m salary, $2.0m roster, $400k workout

It's just stupid.
$11.125 million just in bonuses, $77.2 million in salary.
For someone that offers nothing.

Granted, the de-escalators in there drop the value by $10 million, for certain, but the fact that the numbers are that big and that the salaries become guaranteed each April - it's asinine.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 03/11/16 05:55 PM.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm betting Kaepernick will renegotiate his deal.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: mac

Just a few weeks ago, Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam said the following..

"We are not going to go out and spend a gazillion dollars in free agency," Haslam said that night in the bowels of FirstEnergy Stadium. "We are going to build through the draft because we are firmly convinced that is the right way to do it."

Apparently a gazillion dollars in jimmyspeak means $1 in laymans terms.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns should go hard after Kaepernick

Link Copied to Clipboard