Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
This is so jacked up.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nati...slist/85478168/


INDIANAPOLIS --- Selling a used, black-and-white printer through Craigslist seemed simple and straightforward to Doug Costello.

It wasn't.

What the 66-year-old Massachusetts man didn't know then is that he would spend the next 6 ½ years embroiled in a complicated and confusing legal dispute in Indiana over that printer, which, according to its buyer, was broken.

He would find himself liable for about $30,000 in damages. He would pay a lawyer at least $12,000 in his battle to escape the legal mess.

And it all started with a piece of hardware he sold online for about $40 in 2009. With shipping and other costs, the total was less than $75, according to court records.

The printer's buyer was Gersh Zavodnik, a 54-year-old Indianapolis man known to many in the legal community as a frequent lawsuit filer who also represents himself in court. The Indiana Supreme Court said the "prolific, abusive litigant" has brought dozens of lawsuits against individuals and businesses, often asking for astronomical damages. Most, according to court records, involve online sales and transactions.

Zavodnik, a native of Ukraine who moved to the United States in 1987 under a grant of political asylum, sued Costello, accusing him of falsely advertising a malfunctioning printer with missing parts, and pocketing Zavodnik's money. According to a complaint filed in Marion Superior Court, Zavodnik tried to resolve the issue with Costello to no avail, leaving him with no other choice but to take legal action.

Zavodnik declined to speak with IndyStar. In an earlier interview, he said his motivation for filing lawsuits is simple: to seek justice from people who, he said, stole money from him.

According to court records, Zavodnik initially filed a lawsuit in Marion County Small Claims Court, where he asked for the maximum damages of $6,000. Zavodnik lost because he had thrown away the evidence (the printer), court records said.

Costello said he thought that was the end of the legal fight, but Zavodnik filed another lawsuit in Marion Superior Court, where he requested damages for breach of contract, fraud, conversion, deceptive advertising and emotional distress.

"I figured that's it," Costello said of his victory in small claims court. "But no, no, no. Now I'm in another twilight zone."

In 2010, Zavodnik sent Costello, who also was representing himself in the lawsuit, paperwork asking him to admit that he was liable for more than $30,000 for breach of contract, fraud and conversion. The trial court dismissed the case, along with 26 others filed by Zavodnik, who appealed all of those dismissals, court records state.

The Indiana Court of Appeals in March 2012 revived the lawsuit against Costello and sent the case back to the trial court, where it remained stagnant for another nine months until a hearing was scheduled later that year.

Zavodnik also had sent Costello two more requests for admissions. One asked Costello to admit that he conspired with the judge presiding over the case, and that he was liable for more than $300,000. Another one requested Costello to admit that he was liable for more than $600,000.

Because Costello did not respond to all three requests for admissions within 30 days of receiving them, and did not ask for an extension of time, as required by Indiana trial rules, Costello admitted to the liabilities and damages by default. He also did not appear at a July 2013 hearing, according to court records.

Costello said he never received the requests for admissions and was not notified of the hearing.

The case overwhelmed him so much, Costello said, that he finally decided to hire an attorney. In fall 2013, Indianapolis attorney Chad Wuertz, who represents other defendants sued by Zavodnik, filed a motion to withdraw the admissions.

The case lingered again — this time for more than a year — without any significant action.

Wuertz said the case went through several Marion County judges, many of whom recused themselves. At one point, Zavodnik sought to have a judge removed, and the Supreme Court appointed a special judge from Boone County.

Finally, in March 2015 — six years after Costello sold the printer — Special Judge J. Jeffrey Edens issued a ruling. He awarded Zavodnik a judgment of $30,044.07 for breach of contract.

Gersh Zavodnik poses in a room in his home, Tuesday,
Gersh Zavodnik poses in a room in his home, Tuesday, May 14, 2013, that is full of files for the vast number of lawsuits he has filed. (Photo: Kelly Wilkinson/IndyStar)
Edens acknowledged the amount is "seemingly high" and the judgment "may seem extreme for the breach of contract for the purchase of a printer." But he wrote that he's constrained by how the Supreme Court had previously interpreted a state trial rule, called Rule 36, which sets the 30-day deadline for responding to requests for admissions.

"What kind of reality am I in now?" Costello said of the ruling. "I don't know what's going on. Why don't I know what's going on?"

Costello, who owns a forensic accounting business, appealed the ruling. On March 23, the appeals court issued a sharply worded 13-page opinion in his favor.

The $30,000 in damages "had no basis in reality," Chief Judge Nancy Vaidik wrote.

Zavodnik misused the Indiana trial rule, which was meant to more quickly and efficiently reach a resolution, Vaidik wrote.

"He did not send requests claiming $30,000 and $300,000 and $600,000 in damages because he believes those figures are legally justified and thought Costello might agree," Vaidik wrote. "He sent them because he hoped Costello would not respond, rendering the matters admitted..."

"Zavodnik used the rule as a way to avoid such a resolution," Vaidik wrote.

Costello was on a business trip in Ontario, Canada, when his attorney called him to tell him the news. He said he almost broke down while sitting at a diner.

"I've had this huge weight, this financial and emotional weight for 6 ½ years," Costello said.

Zavodnik likely does not see it that way. A colleague of Zavodnik's who's also a pro se litigant — legal jargon for someone who represents himself or herself in court — spoke on his behalf.

Jesse Clements, who said he and Zavodnik are members of a group of pro se litigants whose purpose is to "end Marion County judicial corruption," said the appeals court ruling was "ridiculous," "irrational," and "opposite to the law."

Clements describes himself as a highly skilled litigant , and Zavodnik sometimes uses Clements' research for his cases. He said the appellate judges "misrepresented" and "cherry-picked" the issues and facts that support their opinion.

Zavodnik likely will ask for a re-hearing, Clements said.

Costello said he will no longer sell anything online. He also said he has no plan to pursue any legal action against Zavodnik.

"I've had enough," he said. "I don't need him in my life anymore."

But the case is not yet over.

The appeals court ordered the trial court to hold a hearing to determine whether the case should be dismissed "based on Zavodnik's repeated, flagrant, and continuing failure to comply with Indiana's rules of procedure."

That hearing won't be held before Edens, the special judge from Boone County. He, like many others before him, recused himself.


“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
Wowwwwwwww. I can't believe what I just read.

Dude was just trying to sell something on Craigslist, something millions of people do each day. Feel bad for him, that's a long period of nonstop bs there in that situation.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
We give him political asylum and he treats our people like this? Send that a-hole back to the Ukraine.


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Forget political asylum, the dude should just be thrown in an asylum period.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
We give him political asylum and he treats our people like this? Send that a-hole back to the Ukraine.

Amen brother.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Deport this guy and Build a wall around his country LOL

Seriously, this is stupid stuff that the court should see for what it is and toss it out immediately.

Dumb


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
I wouldn't be surprised at all of that Zavodnik dude accidentally trips over something in his driveway and falls on a bullet... or 7.

Also, it sounds to me like he, that Wuertz character, and perhaps even the judge that ruled he owed $30k, all have a tidy little scam going.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
yea i'm not understanding how the courts allowed this nonsense to go on like this.

i mean.....jesus this guy files lawsuits like he owns a corporation.


“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Originally Posted By: Swish
yea i'm not understanding how the courts allowed this nonsense to go on like this.

i mean.....jesus this guy files lawsuits like he owns a corporation.


He files lawsuits like Trump LOL


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Somehow there needs to be a cap put on things like this. I wouldn't know how to implement it but something like the suit can't be for more than 10x the value of the item unless you can prove that it actually caused physical harm (like it blew up in your office or something).. $40 for a second hand printer just because he said it didn't work (but threw it away before anybody could verify that didn't work) should never EVER get him more than a couple hundred bucks for his inconvenience.. just plain stupid.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
Originally Posted By: Swish
yea i'm not understanding how the courts allowed this nonsense to go on like this.

i mean.....jesus this guy files lawsuits like he owns a corporation.


One of those dumb little goosebumps on the road of "technicalities", outlined in the article:
Because Costello did not respond to all three requests for admissions within 30 days of receiving them, and did not ask for an extension of time, as required by Indiana trial rules, Costello admitted to the liabilities and damages by default. He also did not appear at a July 2013 hearing, according to court records.

...

Unfortunately, it seems there is where the seller dug himself a hole. It's still ridiculous, but eh. Had he responded, would the outcome be any different? I'd "hope" so.

Am I misunderstanding that?

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,341
W
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
W
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Unfortunately, it seems there is where the seller dug himself a hole. It's still ridiculous, but eh. Had he responded, would the outcome be any different? I'd "hope" so.

Am I misunderstanding that?


Where is the evidence that the letters of admission request were even sent? They should have been sent through certified mail and required a signature.
Dawg_LB, I sent you a check for $100 the other day. Do you believe me because I said it?

Last edited by WVDawg54; 06/06/16 03:18 PM. Reason: question mark

#gmstrong.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Unfortunately, it seems there is where the seller dug himself a hole. It's still ridiculous, but eh. Had he responded, would the outcome be any different? I'd "hope" so.

Am I misunderstanding that?


Where is the evidence that the letters of admission request were even sent? They should have been sent through certified mail and required a signature.
Dawg_LB, I sent you a check for $100 the other day. Do you believe me because I said it?


I'm not sure how that works. I feel like something, a document like that, needs to go through the court system so it's documented and history trail is evident, and not just a piece of paper printed off and put inside an envelope.

I've never had a letter to request confession, sorry I don't know the technical name, but ya seriously mean to tell me no official representative touched those documents? No official representation of some sort notified he was due in court?

Something fishy is going on, and it may have some blame to point towards the seller. Although it's clear the seller was a victim of a loser, maybe he didn't help himself out much though.

If you're due in court, how does one not get notified of such? Phone, mail, email... heck, a pigeon with a note attached to it's foot, you'd think something would've definitely occurred.

If not, one may hang onto purples theory of corrupted judge......


Last edited by Dawg_LB; 06/06/16 03:30 PM.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,811
O
OCD Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,811
This guy sounds like he might have graduated from the REAL TRUMP U...

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
This guy sounds like he might have graduated from the REAL TRUMP U...


*rimshot*


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
I think the mob needs to loan this guy 100,000 that he won't pay back naughtydevil


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,876
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,876
Originally Posted By: Swish
This is so jacked up.


I just read the story online and BOOM! I see you posted it. Anyhow, crazy story. Unless the seller really did sell a bad printer and got what he deserved. Then? Still a crazy story.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,876
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,876
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
We give him political asylum and he treats our people like this? Send that a-hole back to the Ukraine.


You got that right!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
If you're due in court, how does one not get notified of such? Phone, mail, email... heck, a pigeon with a note attached to it's foot, you'd think something would've definitely occurred.

It actually happened to me once. The alleged "crime" was bogus and I won in the end. But I was arrested after work on a Friday evening for missing a court date I never knew about.

I spent the weekend in jail. On Monday morning the court admitted their mistake that neither I nor my attorney was notified of said court date. They apologized to me for their oversight and a new court date was set and I was sent home. When the new date arrived I was found not guilty of anything.

No compensation for the weekend in jail. My attorney said I could have fought it but it would have been stretched out, involving several more court dates, and in the end the compensation would not have covered the expenses it would take to have completed it.

With liberty and justice for all.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,051
Legend
Online
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,051
It shouldn't surprise me that a $40 printer somehow becomes a $30K court case. (or worse) Unfortunately, this stuff is par for the course in today's world.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Thanks for not rating me out on that one wink


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
If you're due in court, how does one not get notified of such? Phone, mail, email... heck, a pigeon with a note attached to it's foot, you'd think something would've definitely occurred.

It actually happened to me once. The alleged "crime" was bogus and I won in the end. But I was arrested after work on a Friday evening for missing a court date I never knew about.

I spent the weekend in jail. On Monday morning the court admitted their mistake that neither I nor my attorney was notified of said court date. They apologized to me for their oversight and a new court date was set and I was sent home. When the new date arrived I was found not guilty of anything.

No compensation for the weekend in jail. My attorney said I could have fought it but it would have been stretched out, involving several more court dates, and in the end the compensation would not have covered the expenses it would take to have completed it.

With liberty and justice for all.


Wow. Glad you won in the end, but sounded like a huge headache, loss of some $ and a total waste of time. Being arrested on a Friday and spending the weekend in jail, bummer there too.

People are real... you finish the sentence, I got one day banned for profanity lol! Not getting notified to appear in court, even more profanity needed.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 06/07/16 08:27 AM.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
Originally Posted By: Swish
yea i'm not understanding how the courts allowed this nonsense to go on like this.

i mean.....jesus this guy files lawsuits like he owns a corporation.


I agree - how the hell could this go on for so long


<><

#gmstrong
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175
Just another fine example of how we don't have a just system anymore but rather a lawyer blackmail system where layers get elected to office and then just write more and more laws that REQUIRE a lawyer to be hired or make it so unpractical not to hire one that you will end up in jail or worse.

Example: When my mother died I inherited her house. The state of indiana does not allow me to file my own paperwork to put the house in my name. I am required BY LAW to hire a lawyer and pay at least $3000 in fees to gain what is rightfully mine.


You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Man sued for $30K over $40 printer he sold on Craigslist

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5