Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,674
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,674
RB Terrell Watson

As we’ve seen over the last few years, the Browns’ running back situation is a mess. They can’t seem to stick with one starter, as the No. 1 gig ends up becoming a revolving door within the first month. Since that’s unlikely to change in 2016, I foresee a relatively unknown name emerging as a short-term starter in Cleveland.

That would be Terrell Watson, a small-school product who ESPN’s Pat McManamon called a “legitimate dark horse.” The former Azusa Pacific star caught on as an undrafted rookie for the Cincinnati Bengals last season, but failed to stick considering their loaded backfield. However, I believe it could be a different situation with the Browns.

Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson seem to have the top two spots solidified, but the third (and maybe fourth?) spots on the depth chart are ripe for the taking. If Watson can use his physicality and vision to impress the coaching staff in the coming months, we could see him getting a start or two this year.

ILB Scooby Wright

It seems hard to believe (in my opinion), but Scooby Wright fell all the way to the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft after he struggled to impress during pre-draft workouts. The Browns, however, will reap the rewards, as the Arizona product has the instincts and tenacity to be a playmaker in the pros.

Sure, he isn’t a speedster at linebacker and doesn’t offer elite athleticism. If you put on the tape, though, it’s easy to see that he’s got a knack for finding the football and making big plays. Wright may never be a star in the NFL, but the Browns will definitely enjoy what he brings to the table.

Although the Browns have some solid options ahead of Wright on the depth chart, I have faith that he’ll find his way onto the field as a rookie. Whether it’s due to injuries or subpar play, Cleveland will be forced to give the former Wildcat some playing time this season due to his overwhelming instincts, non-stop motor and nose for the football.

Some early-season standout work on special teams will help his cause.

WR Rashard Higgins

It’s kind of sad how few proven options the Browns currently have at wide receiver. The only one with legitimate experience is Andrew Hawkins, who didn’t live up to the hype after Cleveland signed him in 2015. As a result, the team will be forced to rely on rookies to make plays in the passing game.

One guy who I believe will answer the call is Rashard Higgins, the Browns’ fifth-round pick this past April. The Colorado State product is an underrated weapon who uses excellent route running and reliable hands to provide his quarterback with a consistent target. That’s why he’ll see some starts in 2016.

Corey Coleman will bring some excitement to the table, but Hawkins is injury prone, Taylor Gabriel is still unproven, Ricardo Louis was a reach and Terrelle Pryor may never pay dividends despite Cleveland’s patience. Higgins will step up as a rookie and give whoever is under center a reliable target to throw to.

CB Pierre Desir

Throughout his entire football career, Pierre Desir hasn’t gotten a lot of love. The small-school product out of Lindenwood fell to the Browns in the fourth round in 2014 despite Day 2 abilities, and now finds himself buried on a decent Cleveland cornerback depth chart.

Even facing those types of odds, I’m confident the hard-working Desir will find a way to steal some starts in 2016. Obviously Joe Haden isn’t getting benched anytime soon, but he has been dealing with some ankle issues that could linger into the regular season. And apart from Tramon Williams, the Browns don’t exactly offer a hoard of experienced contributors at cornerback.

Desir showed during his college career that he has a nose for football, tallying 21 career interceptions. He’s also a physical presence against the run, and should show enough in the coming months to convince the Browns to allot some serious playing time for him in 2016.

QB Cody Kessler

Let’s be honest–no one expected Cody Kessler to come off the board anytime before the sixth or seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft. Most scouts didn’t even see him hearing his name called. So of course it was the Browns that decided to draft the former USC quarterback in the third round.

Right now, he currently sits at No. 3 on the depth chart. However, in Cleveland, that means nothing. The two gunslingers ahead of him are Robert Griffin III and Josh McCown. So, essentially, the Browns have an injury-prone headcase and a one-hit wonder fighting for the keys to the offense.

Based on that assessment, it’s easy to understand how Kessler could see some starts in 2016. As much of a limited prospect as many believe he is, he was a playmaker for the Trojans and has a decent arm. If the Cleveland coaching staff can point him in the right direction, Kessler could turn out to be an okay starting option considering the alternatives.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/06/27/predicting-5-surprise-starters-cleveland-browns/4/

I don't know about Terrell Watson, I am still sold on the Crow at point in time. I am a fan of Scooby Wright tho, not sure why other then the cool name as I know nothing about his play. I have read several times he has a nose for finding the football.


I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
C
Legend
Offline
Legend
C
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
I think Kessler starts week one.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,674
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think Kessler starts week one.


I would be ok with that...but I do prefer McCown over RGIII.


I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
Quote:
now finds himself buried on a decent Cleveland cornerback depth chart.


Quote:
the Browns don’t exactly offer a hoard of experienced contributors at cornerback


Make up your mind.


Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,596
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,596
I could see Watson starting ... and I don't even know anything about him


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Gil Alcaraz IV. The dude lists having 10 different jobs in the last 5 1/2 years. Currently he is a Lodging Content Associate with Expedia, Inc. He works for spinzone as a so called writer on the side. The same spinzone that is looking to hire writers right now. Requirements to become a writer for them.

1. Having a pulse is preferred but not mandatory.
2. Ability to fog up a mirror if it's held under your nose is a plus.
3. Those who are on a breathing ventilator, or who have been declared brain dead are encouraged to apply.

SIGH I miss the days when we actually had reporters, and writers instead of fat ugly guys sitting in their parents basements in the same pair of dirty boxer shorts for weeks on end, reading blips from their cell phones, and trying to act like they have a clue. SMH


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think Kessler starts week one.


I'll be shocked if he wears a helmet game day in 2016.


Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
To build on that..

This article is basically pointless.

He says he's going to name 5 "surprise starters"

Then goes on to say "this guy is 3rd string now, but if two people suck or get hurt, he could start later"

Thanks for that astonishing insight.


Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,389
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,389
I was surprised that this article was suggesting these "starters." Writer's judgment is questionable. Based on what abilities he has seen? Not sure the writer has qualified himself as to experience for pronouncing the future starts.

Is this the way MKC got started?


"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732
L
Legend
Offline
Legend
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732
A lot of these articles seem like they're written by the same guy.


[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Only one that has a shot is Higgins.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,853
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,853
Watson .. no

Scooby.. Hope so. We need someone who can make plays and can be dependable on our front 7.

Higgins. Think we will all be impressed with his hands. I like his chances of getting significant PT, especially if Gordon doesnt make it on the roster.

Desir.. no.

Kessler.. He will only start one game this year. And that is week 17. All 3rd string QBs start week 17 in Cleveland. Its tradition.


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 7,131
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 7,131
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I like his chances of getting significant PT, especially if Gordon doesnt make it on the roster.


Now if Gordon makes the roster, that would represent a major surprise in itself...


When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 18,204
C
~
Legend
Offline
~
Legend
C
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 18,204
Don't know why he didn't guess that. If he's using starting one game in 2016 to define "being a starter" -- which is a crap way to do it, like everyone is saying. Then saying JG will start would be a major surprise. One I'd applaud him for had he made it.

That said, I predict JG will be a starter in 2016 according to his criteria. But I'm an optimist.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,596
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,596
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

That said, I predict JG will be a starter in 2016 according to his criteria. But I'm an optimist.


I've basically just assumed JG has no chance to ever play for us again. If that changes I'll consider it a big, pleasant surprise.


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,387
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,387
How is starting for the Browns ever a surprise? If you can't start for this team, it won't ever happen. We're practically starting a good team's practice squad.


Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,815
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,815

Four irresponsible July predictions

By Around The NFL Staff NFL.com ...6 at 04:12 p.m.

Cleveland will post its first winning record since 2007

The Browns have been written off by most as a team already locked in for the No. 1 overall pick in next year's draft. The truth is that last season -- and the last 17 (mostly horrible) years in Cleveland -- is no roadmap for what comes next. Coach Hue Jackson has a history of getting the most out of his players, something no coach has done for the Browns since their return to the league in 1999. This roster is completely overhauled -- no team in the league looms as a bigger mystery. That said, Jackson -- who made Bucky Brooks' "dream coaching staff" as a receivers aide -- is the ideal figure to work with the club's five rookie wideouts, a crop led by exciting playmaker Corey Coleman.

The burning question still boils down to the quarterback, but I'd argue the Browns can win games with Josh McCown if Robert Griffin III flames out. After all, it was McCown who took the Broncos to overtime last year. For me, though, I don't think we're asking too much for any team in the NFL to win nine games. Besides, Jackson has wasted no time setting the past on fire, leaving pass rusher Paul Kruger to say: "His energy level, his enthusiasm, his positivity, it's just something that lights you on fire every time you walk in the building." Those are just words in the dead of summer, but this regime feels less encumbered by the horrors of yesterday. That will be especially true after this season. -- Marc Sessler

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
That settles it, then.


#gmstrong
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,612
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,612
All right Vambo.

I like that post.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Predicting 5 Surprise Starters for the Cleveland Browns by Gil Alcaraz

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5