Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Libertarian Gary Johnson: Romney 'Considering' Endorsing Me

(CNN)

By Jason Devaney | Thursday, 28 Jul 2016 06:36 PM

Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be getting closer to endorsing a candidate in the 2016 race, and it won't be Republican Donald Trump.

Libertarian party nominee Gary Johnson has spoken with Romney about gaining his public support.

"I think he's considering the possibility of doing this," Johnson told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Thursday in Philadelphia. "Actually endorsing the two of us."

Johnson is running for president alongside his vice presidential candidate Bill Weld, who like Romney is a former Republican governor of Massachusetts. Weld joined Johnson in Thursday's interview.

"He's thinking about it, Wolf, and I don't want to press the point unless and until we get to 15 percent [support in national polls], because then I think the case for it is overwhelming," Weld said. "A couple of the Bushes have already come out in support of us, we're very hopeful that Gov. Jeb Bush might see his might see his way clear to supporting the ticket. But whether or not they do, we're creeping up on that figure that will get us in the debates.

"I can almost guarantee you, if we get to 15, we're gonna get to 20 percent. And at that point, we are extremely dangerous as the ticket."

Presidential candidates need to have at least 15 percent support in national polls in order to participate in debates.

Romney told CNN last month that he does not plan to vote for either Trump for Democrat Hillary Clinton in November.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gary-jo...7/28/id/741098/

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
so doing a side by side comparison of both Trump and Clinton's speeches.

well......

just IMO, but i'm not voting for a dictator. "I alone can fix it".

nah, screw that. sorry but that just reminds me of how communist and terror group leaders speak.

the world sucks, fear everybody around you. it's not safe to go outside. and only i can fix it.

nope nope nope nope nope.

i dont care how unicorn hilary's speech sounded. i rather shoot for unity than further go down the divide.

Jester: i completely understand what you're saying bro. i just hope you understand when i say it's a rough decision.

I just can not do something that will help a dictator.

Last edited by Swish; 07/29/16 08:41 AM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Swish...well said!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Friday's gross domestic product reading fell below even the dimming hopes on Wall Street. The 1.2 percent growth ratein the second quarter combined with a downward revision to the first three months of the year to produce an average growth rate of just 1 percent.

In total, it was far below the Wall Street forecast of 2.6 percent second-quarter growth and didn't lend a lot of credence to a Fed statement earlier this week that sounded more confident on the economy. (The Atlanta Fed was much closer, forecasting 1.8 percent.)

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/29/gdp-us-economic-growth-is-close-to-zero.html

-Obama inherited a glass half empty and will leave us with a glass half full.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was unsure of what to do going into these conventions. Although, I must admit I had strong bias against Trump going in, I've always thought the guy was insane. I also personally know a few people that he has burned on payments for construction projects. These two weeks clinched it against Trump for me...so now it's between Hilary or Johnson.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was how much patriotism the Dems showed. It's almost like the scripts were flipped between the parties. Meanwhile, we heard Trump say only he could fix things. Oh really, I didn't realize that the president had that much influence. Last I heard, you still have to work with others....you know...checks and balances. Trump is running on a dictatorship platform that simply isn't actually possible.

Trump is running an entire campaign based on fear, while the Democrats were far more hopeful and patriotism. I've never seen so little patriotism in my life from the Republican platform, it was very shocking to me. Instead, it was everyone is out to get us and I have to put a stop to it.

He just throws stuff against the wall and sees what sticks. Kind of like inviting the Russians to hack into Hillary's emails. Then the following day he went back and said it was sarcasm. I was watching that speech live on TV, there was no sarcasm there and he repeated it several times. Just a campaign based on fear.

And yes, I think that Khan guys speech just might give her the biggest bounce.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ~Con~Artist~
Trump is running an entire campaign based on fear, while the Democrats were far more hopeful and patriotism.

Are you referring to that patriotic moment where they forgot to have any American flags on stage until after a reporter busted them on it, or the other patriotic moment where the crowd turned their backs in a CMH winner during his speech?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
nah, we're talking about the moment when they was giving constant praise to the military.

when they had former police chiefs speak and was honoring the police force as well as victims of police brutality.

when they had the muslim family who's soldier gave his life for our country, ya know, the opposite of the message the GOP was giving about muslims.

when they constantly reminded this country that we have ALWAYS been great, how our military has ALWAYS been great.

when they reminded us that diversity is what makes us great as a nation, not that dictator, us vs them rally y'all was holding in the Q.

when they reminded us that Love Trumps Hate.

thats the patriotic moments we're referring too.

not the fear and hate mongering you seem to love so much.

Last edited by Swish; 07/29/16 11:43 AM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Or talking about our vets and supporting them. Something that I don't recall hearing about at all at the RNC.....which is highly unusual for them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
nah, we're talking about the moment when they was giving constant praise to the military.

As I said, I seem to remember them booing a general, and turning their backs on a CMH winner. Patriotism must have a different meaning there.
Quote:

when they had former police chiefs speak and was honoring the police force as well as victims of police brutality.

Wasn't that moment of silence great? The crowd almost managed 5 seconds before they started shouting.

Quote:
when they had the muslim family who's soldier gave his life for our country, ya know, the opposite of the message the GOP was giving about muslims.

If only we could vet those people and know they'd be this type of American other than the ones that want to kill us. After watching the DNC and protesters, we actually need more people like this.

Quote:
when they constantly reminded this country that we have ALWAYS been great, how our military has ALWAYS been great.

Lip service mostly. We've been hearing from these people how the US was illegitimately founded by a white's only crowd for the past 7 1/2 years. You mean they changed their minds last night finally? The economy sucks, employment sucks, and the taxes suck right now. This country is being disassembled by this particular party, and it needs to stop.

Quote:
when they reminded us that diversity is what makes us great as a nation, not that dictator, us vs them rally y'all was holding in the Q.

You're right. Obama should have been removed from office long ago. Unfortunately, he sold the people the idea that he was a messianic figure, and they believed him.

Quote:
when they reminded us that Love Trumps Hate.

thats the patriotic moments we're referring too.

not the fear and hate mongering you seem to love so much.

Fear mongering? Better than ignoring problems. I can't wait to see people's reactions when they find their affordable health care is going up by 60% next year. If you want to see fear, that will be the moment.

Legend
Legend
Wrong again. But keep those eye lid closed.

Nobody is ignoring problems. But promoting fear isn't exactly a way to unite a country.

So yea, I rather try to achieve unity goals than further divide us.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

Nobody is ignoring problems. But promoting fear isn't exactly a way to unite a country.

Tell us that again as your daughters enter the ladies room and some guy follows them in.

Close your eyes, Momma Hillary will fix it for us. rolleyes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wrong again. But keep those eye lid closed.

So, are you saying the democrats don't promote fear? They are trying to tell us that trump is worse than any jihadi, as if that makes sense. They've been telling people how they will be ostracized from the country if he wins, depending on their color, religion, sexual orientation, or country of origin. Please. They do the exact same thing, but they use the republican party as the root of all evil, where the republicans are using those outside this country that want to destroy us as the enemy. I guess you don't see the difference.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

Tell us that again as your daughters enter the ladies room and some guy follows them in.

Close your eyes, Momma Hillary will fix it for us. rolleyes

So where exactly are men following them in? Surely you aren't talking about transgenders right? Or are you talking about the homophobes marching in because they think there might be risky things happening. There is a big difference between those two. Because if anything, the trans people are the most vulnerable in this situation. I used to be on the fence on this one until I had a transgender student which completely changed my tune. If anything, I'd say they are far more vulnerable in that situation than my daughter would be. This student always tried her hardest to not use the restroom in public because of this fear. So, again, who exactly are these men that you fear of because I know who I am and am not concerned about.

Legend
Legend
The Dems aren't promoting the country like some third world, winner take all scenario.

Your boy is. Your ideology wants to register Muslims. Make them take a test.

That isn't anything but bringing up facts. Your leaders said it. Not us.

Trump wants to ban all Muslims. He said it, not us.

It's funny because as much as I disagree with Newt Gingrich, he has a point.

The GOP voters are all about feelings. It's not facts, but HOW they feel about the situation.

It doesn't matter to you that violence is going down in this country. Since it FEELS like our country is out of control, that's what y'all will believe.

So yes, the Dems promote fear in a single person as trump. Trump promotes fear across the board.

Trump is dangerous.

Our country is. Obviously you don't see the difference. Either that, or you don't WANT to.

Last edited by Swish; 07/29/16 01:02 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Still waiting on that to happen to my daughters.

When it happens, I'll let you know.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I do understand the need of the Left to risk the well being of most of the nations daughters for the sake of 0000.1 percent of the sad stories out there.

It is your nature.

Legend
Legend
Still waiting on that to happen to my daughters.

When it happens, I'll let you know.

Oh yea, I bet you will and we will also be reading it in the papers.

Legend
Legend
You're willing to risk the deaths of 10,000 kids every year just do you can hold on to your guns, so please don't try and patronize any one about risk.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Way to answer it without actually answering it. Who exactly is risking the well being of most of the nations daughters? I know my daughter isn't at risk so I'm really curious who is endangering our daughters in the bathroom. I guess it is some sort of unnamed "Bogeyman" out there.

Ironically, I must say that I've become awfully Democratic since elder Bush. Back then, I was extremely Republican...but the party is stuck in a serious rut exemplified by perhaps the single worst candidate in history of politics for President by one of the two major parties. From day 1, I said to myself that there is no way in hell I'm voting for Trump if he wins the nominee. Personally, I liked Jeb the best out of every candidate. Once again though, that may be because I was personally (positively) effected by his leadership during the numerous hurricanes that hit Florida the same year many years back. Florida hasn't had a decent governor since him.

I think South Park nailed it best many years ago during the 2004 election with the Turd Sandwich vs the Giant Douche. That episode is more topical in this election than that one. We just simply can't have someone like Trump leading this country. His words alone the past few days show this. We can't have someone promoting fear leading our country. He constantly promotes violence, and he always wants to punch everyone.

Trump wanted to punch a "very little guy" "so hard his head would spin, he wouldn't know what the hell happened." "They'd never recover," "That's why I still don't have certain people endorsing me. They still haven't recovered."

Sounds like the words of a great leader. notallthere

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Does anyone think Hillary will actually follow through on her major promises last night? I'm highly pessimistic of her going against Citizen's United.

Legend
Legend
No, but some of the major ones, sure.

Citizens United is gonna have to be handled at the sumpteme court level. While she can certainly gain the public support against it, good luck getting the majority of political leaders from either side to take it seriously.

As much as I want it overturned, I dunno if it's even possible at this point.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Way to answer it without actually answering it. Who exactly is risking the well being of most of the nations daughters? I know my daughter isn't at risk so I'm really curious who is endangering our daughters in the bathroom.

Just close your eyes and imagine yourself nestled in the bosom of Momma Hillary. All is well. Sorry to upset you with truth.

Legend
Legend
Notice how she does nothing that would, in any way, hurt far left liberal campaign backers who make their money by paying themselves not with salary, but with stock options ..... where they can buy stock in their own companies at a heavy discount, and then reap the immediate rewards if they choose.

I see a lot of ways that these tax increases could hurt those in the middle, as opposed to just hitting those at the top. Of course, we seem bound and determined to turn this country into a 2 class system, with the very wealthy at the top, and everyone else at the bottom. Policy proposals like a $15/hour minimum wage sound great ... but when you consider that a terrible number of jobs will be lost, and that wages for the Middle Class have stagnated, or even declined, it actually creates more of a uniform underclass. I wonder if people will open their eyes before it's too late. (if it isn't already too late)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Exactly. I feel like she's trying to lure unsuspecting Democrats into continuing voting for her. I wish someone would track Hillary's positions from Pre-Bernie and post-Bernie. She constantly changes her mind on everything. Her VP was still saying TPP was a good idea until a week after he was anointed. Again, she's a snake.

I did like her speech last night. She was right. We need to step up to bullies. This election we need to go into the booth and decide to vote for a 3rd party candidate. Show the Republican and Democrats that you will not be bullied by them anymore.

Legend
Legend
I man, to be perfectly honest.

It's Gary>Hilary>death>trump, in that order of voting.

But right now I'm torn on voting for Gary just out of protest. Because while I believe he's a good candidate, unfortunately *throwing up on my mouth* he doesn't really have a shot at winning anything.

For me it's:

GM
Johnson
Trump
Stein
Hillary

Outside of GM, that's a really pathetic slate of candidates.

A pox on the houses of both Parties. I swear that it is almost like the Republicans crossed over and voted for the worst possible Democrat candidate.... and the Democrats crossed over and voted for the worst possible Republican candidate.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
All Pro
All Pro
O

Democrats need to learn something from this video.

Democrats really need to admit that this country has problems that need fixed, and not keep acting like everything is great because Obama is president and not Bush. Hillary is just a more-corrupt version of Obama.

Republicans need to get rid of Trump; he is a wolf in wolf-clothing. I don't see how anyone can't see how big of a phony he is.

I'm voting for Johnson...I can't morally vote for either of the other 2.

Legend
Legend
??

Nobody is saying this country doesn't have problems. Dunno where you're getting that from. Even Hillary acknowledged that.

What we're saying is everything isn't doom and gloom, run for the hills, every man for himself in some third world country trump made it out to be.

Yes, sometimes the dems have a little bit too much puppies and rainbows rhetoric.

But you're basically tell me that instead of trying to shoot for a goal where our country is as peaceful as possible, we should instead buy into the fear and hate mongering and be scared of everybody?

Nah bro, can't do it. I rather strive for unity than strive for fear.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I am old enough to remember when we were the greatest Nation on earth.

Today I believe we are but one incident away from a complete and catastrophic breakdown of our Society.

Legend
Legend
That doesn't make any sense.

Every president has a history of promising stuff and not delivering on it.

As much as I like Gary, there's no guarantee he can get even half the stuff he's promising done, either.

If you're gonna vote for Gary, vote for him because you believe in him. That you believe he can get some of his main talking points accomplished.

Voting for him simply because doesn't mean anything.

To me, anyway. That's how I view it. I'm not just gonna vote for somebody just cause I'm pissed off.

Or I become no better than half the trump supporters out there.

I want to see Gary on the debate stage banging with the other two. I want to vote for Gary because I believe in the guy. Not because I'm fed up with the dems/GOP.

Protest votes is on par with the people who vote party lines. It doesn't mean anything, other than a feel good solution.

Last edited by Swish; 07/29/16 02:29 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Citizens United is gonna have to be handled at the sumpteme court level. While she can certainly gain the public support against it, good luck getting the majority of political leaders from either side to take it seriously.

As much as I want it overturned, I dunno if it's even possible at this point.

It will take new appointees to the court, but it IS possible. The court already has a history of overturning prior rulings. If you want to see that as a possibility, you'd better hope that Agent Orange doesn't get within 100 miles of 1600 Penn.

If I understand it correctly, there could be as many as 2-3 justices heading out in the next couple years, so Hill could actually make it happen with her choices.... if congress would ever get off their butts.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Yea it's possible I suppose.

But there's a reason you don't see many politicians complaining about it.

I understand that part of the gay marriage ruling had to do with the majority of the public supporting/not giving a damn about who gets married to who.

But there was also an adminstration that pushed for that as well.

will Hillary actually push for citizens United being overturned? Probably not,but you never know.

With trump, as you said, it ain't happening.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the GOP refusing to confirm Obamas choice for justice is gonna bite them in the asses hard if Hillary wins.

He was about as moderate as you could get. They won't be able to pull the same stunt once Hilary is in office. And this is the part that scares me.

2 justices could bounce, with one seat already vacant.

I want moderate judges. Hilary will go straight liberal probably, and trump will go straight conservative.

So at the end of the day, the GOP screwed themselves. And now they gave up trying to play damage control. So....well if Hillary wins, they better look in the mirror if there ends up being 3 NEW liberal justices instead of only 1 or 2.

Last edited by Swish; 07/29/16 02:50 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
so doing a side by side comparison of both Trump and Clinton's speeches.

well......

just IMO, but i'm not voting for a dictator. "I alone can fix it".

nah, screw that. sorry but that just reminds me of how communist and terror group leaders speak.

According to FactCheck.org that's not what Trump said.

PHILADELPHIA — On the night Hillary Clinton accepted her party’s nomination for president, Clinton and other Democrats played loose with some facts:

Clinton misrepresented Donald Trump’s “I alone can fix it” line, suggesting he said he could fix everything by himself. Trump was referring to a “rigged” system, and went on to talk about working with others.

Clinton said that “we’re going to pay for every single one” of the initiatives she has proposed. We can’t predict the future, but a nonpartisan analysis found her proposals would add to the national debt.

Clinton said “90 percent” of income gains “have gone to the top 1 percent.” But that is an outdated figure. It’s now 52 percent.

Clinton said 15 million private-sector jobs have been created since President Obama took office. The actual number is 10.5 million, and it’s less — 10.1 million — when accounting for the loss of 460,000 public jobs.

Clinton rejected Trump’s border security proposal, saying, “We will not build a wall.” As a senator, however, Clinton voted for and supported legislation to add more fencing along the southern border.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi cited the “91 Americans who are killed by gun violence each day,” urging Congress to “keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists.” However, nearly 58 of those daily gun deaths are suicides — not criminal homicides.

Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney twisted Pay Pal co-founder Peter Thiel’s words, claiming Thiel at the GOP convention had called “equality” a “distraction.” Thiel was talking about the debate over bathroom access, not equality in general.

Rep. Joaquin Castro said Trump “defended” World War II internment camps. Trump cited the camps as a legal precedent for his proposal to ban all Muslim travel to the U.S. But he stopped short of defending internment camps.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/factchecking-clintons-big-speech/

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
And how is trump gonna fix a rigged system all by himself?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Pfft, Facts. We don't need no stinking Facts!

Legend
Legend
I believe you're taking it too literally. I believe he meant as the outsider in Washington he's the only one who's going to buck the current political system, any other person running is a politician and just going to continue to play the game.

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
And how is trump gonna fix a rigged system all by himself?

Thats not what the article says. Read it again. Hillary staight up lied. But of course liberals are blind to it.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Thanks, that's a way better explanation than what Eve gave.

And that makes sense, at least the claim about outsider. So we're all good.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Way to answer it without actually answering it. Who exactly is risking the well being of most of the nations daughters? I know my daughter isn't at risk so I'm really curious who is endangering our daughters in the bathroom.

Just close your eyes and imagine yourself nestled in the bosom of Momma Hillary. All is well. Sorry to upset you with truth.

Do you even read everything or just a little bit? If you did, you'd see Hillary doesn't have my vote yet. As I said, I'm between Hillary and Johnson right now. As a former die-hard Republican, I did say I'm starting to lean more Democratic but that's it. However, I absolutely firmly believe Trump is the worst possible choice. Heck, I usually vote Republican when I don't know any candidates for those lower positions but I'll be taking a hard look at what they do next. I do think it is pretty damning that no living former Republican president or person up for re-election showed up to that convention.

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
"America is already great!" I probably heard that line 20 times during the DNC. The problem is, for a lot of Americans, it isn't. Their lives aren't so great right now.

That how you end up with a candidate like Trump with 40% of the popular vote. If America was so great, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

America isn't great right now...Trump isn't the one to fix it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need fixed.

Legend
Legend
I do think it is pretty damning that no living former Republican president or person up for re-election showed up to that convention.

And to a life long Republican like myself, that is another feather in Trumps hat.

Many of todays Republicans are are nothing more than Democrat lite.

Trump has single-handedly brought down the Bush and Romney Dynasties.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 07/29/16 03:16 PM.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... DNC 2016 Schedule of Events and Speakers

Link Copied to Clipboard