Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17417366/cleveland-browns-play-starters-preseason-finale

Hue Jackson to play Browns' starters in preseason finale

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns will play their starters in Thursday's preseason finale against the Chicago Bears, coach Hue Jackson said Monday.

It's not typical for a team to use its starters in the final game. Most coaches prefer to rest them to avoid the risk of injury. In last weekend's games, the Dallas Cowboys lost quarterback Tony Romo to a fractured vertebra, and the Baltimore Ravens lost tight end Ben Watson to a torn Achilles tendon.

Jackson, though, feels his team needs more playing time before the season opener Sept. 11 in Philadelphia.

"I think we need to play them," said Jackson, who added he was not sure how long the starters would play, just that they would. "I think we need to get better as a football team."

The Browns have had a rocky preseason. They've been outscored 71-37 in losing three games, and Friday against Tampa Bay trailed 27-10 after the first half.

Quarterback Robert Griffin has thrown five deep passes for 215 yards, but on his other 25 passes, he has thrown for just 67 yards.

Hue's lost his mind! the season is long enough and there is no need to play a starter when Chicago's bottom of the roster players are out there trying to make a big play and a name for themselves.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With Ohio State, it has been said that they do not have a bench, just extra starters.

With our Browns, it is somewhat the opposite. We have a handful of starters and then extra subs before you get to the 2nd string. We cannot start too many starters because we don't have that many. This is a non-story.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hue is installing a new O and new D and this team lacks chemistry. Not playing his starters would be foolish. I like it and I loved the fact he was playing his starting front 7 in the 4th quarter last week, minus Kirksey. You dont get better by watching guys who arent gonna make the team play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea and they sucked .. Sorry Dawg but but we are so behind the eight ball when it comes to talent ; Especially on the " D " ..

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Browns are going to suck no matter what. Screw it, play 'em all and get a couple of starters hurt.

Legend
Legend
Play'em... they need the work.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I wouldn't pull them until they score 24 points on O.

On D...I'd start and play the 2nd and 3rd team the whole game, I would let them know that EVERY starters job is in jeopardy. Go take the job if you can.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just think with the new camp practice rules, you have to play your guys in preseason unless you are already a superbowl contender. We arent a contender. We are a builder and we arent gonna build a better team playing guys that will be looking for work come sunday night.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We are starting players that wouldn't make the practice squad on most teams so yeah who cares.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
O
Legend
Legend
O
Personally I think Hue is running a good program. I was really uninspired by the hire at first, did not like the hire... But the more I see the more I like him. Now that doesn't make him a great HC but it does mean something to me.

Some of the coaches that have been through here I couldn't stand and never did like.

Legend
Legend
I think we're trying something we never have yet, so why not let them try

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
IF (big) IF...there is decent RT play from somebody...Coleman, Drango...then I think the OL will be good enough to compete.
The read-option is gonna help the run game and the pass protection.

The defense.....

D
Legend
Legend
D
Only one way chemistry is formed. Play em' Hue. I have no problem with this. We'll be going up against non starters so it can help them clean up some things, build confidence and etc.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think it's a good move to play the starters. There are more teams (good teams) that play their starters in the 4th preseason game then people realize. (Seattle for one)

Plus it's clear the squad needs the reps/build continuity/build confidence through on the field success etc. Griffin, Corey Coleman, Hawkins, Higgins, Drango, Shon Coleman, The entire defense. Special teams.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...We practically are a college team. Get them all the reps they can. We've got a lot of growing to do.

For the more established starters, one solid drive to re-establish their confidence might be beneficial.

Of course, they'll probably look bad, and someone will get hurt. But, that's Browns football in the 21st century.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BE was never the same after running barefoot and having stallworth step on his foot.

we have had players wife stab said player

one claiming he had staff when he had the clap

Hell Desmond Bryant is out for the year because of a mystery.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watching last years debacle..has me excited for this year...

V
Legend
Legend
V
For what? The first overall pick in the draft?

Legend
Legend
RG3 is taking us to the playoffs.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
RG3 is taking us to the playoffs.

Maybe, but not this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
i have hope bro.

i mean....it's all i got at this point.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

So, until the Redskins game on October 2nd?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
i have hope bro.

i mean....it's all i got at this point.

I really just need to change the title on the site to "Abandon hope, all ye who enter".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Scary. We need the work. D needs a bunch. Injuries for a no-count game can bite you in the bum. I presume we won't see too much of the starters overall.

The early cuts and trades mean we need less film for the final cuts. So let's play this and get on with biz. Hue is fond of getting better and moving forward; is that happening? Not sure I have seen it. Early cuts mean more reps to starters as well. Glad we don't have JFF and another QB controversy. Now I get to focus and obsess over the bad. tongue

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Over/Under week 6 tongue

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

rofl ..that's one for the books!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think this team will score points. We have really been captain obvious when running the football thus far and we have actually been pretty good for preseason. hue is gonna make it interesting.

the D isnt very good right now but they will get better as we go. Horton has thrown everything at these kids and at some point it will start sticking.

this will be a fun team to watch but it will have games like against the bucs as well. inconsistency of youth.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I just have to say that our 1st string playing against the opponents scrubs accomplishes very little.

I mean if you're a player, you know you're lining up against scrubs. How does that build confidence? If you're playing against scrubs, how do you know if "you cleaned up" anything?

The only thing I see it accomplishing is trying to cut down on penalties. And even at that, if you were an OL player, how do you know you wouldn't hold against a better opponent?

I don't see any real harm in playing them except the increased chance of injury. I'm just not sure that it will actually accomplish anything.

Players know they won't be playing against high quality players and so do most of the fans. Even in the secondary, it should be much easier to cover non starters.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Sad... but funny.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Linemen can get line calls right, they can get their gaps correct, WR's can work on their reads and routes, the QB can work on their progressions and timing, DB's & LB's can work on coverage technique, etc....

There is a LOT - all of the basics, which we need - that they can work on.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I mean if you're a player, you know you're lining up against scrubs. How does that build confidence? If you're playing against scrubs, how do you know if "you cleaned up" anything?

Well, the Bears are not a great team.. so if we can't have success against their scrubs, then that alone will tell us a lot.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I just have to say that our 1st string playing against the opponents scrubs accomplishes very little.

The only thing I see it accomplishing is trying to cut down on penalties. And even at that, if you were an OL player, how do you know you wouldn't hold against a better opponent?

I don't see any real harm in playing them except the increased chance of injury. I'm just not sure that it will actually accomplish anything.

Players know they won't be playing against high quality players and so do most of the fans. Even in the secondary, it should be much easier to cover non starters.

I suppose that means we shouldn't hold practices either. I mean if playing against scrubs doesn't accomplish anything.

We're young in a lot of places, treat it like a practice/scrimmage. Every rep matters for us.

Fiercely Independent.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c

Do we even know that the Bears starters aren't playing?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think our first string D verses our first string O would accomplish a lot more than our first string O and D playing against opposing scrubs.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought our first string D were scrubs.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
hopefully, the Bridgewater fiasco will knock some sense into hue before the game.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
hopefully, the Bridgewater fiasco will knock some sense into hue before the game.

Yes. Especially because our QB also has chicken legs.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

How does a non-contact injury in practice dictate what you do in the 4th preseason game?

In fact, if I'm Hue, this furthers it for me.. it can happen anywhere at any time.. so what difference do 2 more possessions make? It could just as easily happen on the first drive of week 1.. at least if it happens this week, McCown has a week to prepare with the 1s.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I thought our first string D were scrubs.

Well you finally made a point that's hard to argue. lol

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
We are starting players that wouldn't make the practice squad on most teams so yeah who cares.

Why don't you go to the smack shack and stay there. That is not a legit comment....pure smack.....go away kid.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Bears 21 Hue Jackson to play Browns' starters in preseason finale

Link Copied to Clipboard