Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1148795 09/02/16 07:42 AM
C
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
This is the first season I am really not looking forward to. frown That is all I have. Why I continue to buy season tickets is beyond me - it is a disease of some sort.

I think the fact that no one started a post game thoughts thread says a lot. It's going to be a long year.....

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Kessler is not a good Qb.

Our offensive line looks shaky.

Our defense will give up via the passing game and the running game.

Nassib is physical, but he's very aware and intelligent.

Ogbah is extremely powerful. I think he'll be a wrecking ball.

Watson runs the ball better than Crow.

We'll keep checking the cut list. Some decisions will be easy to make there.

Legend
Legend
There is trouble in river city folks...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
things are going to be ugly this season

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns Scribbles: Nice moments for Nassib, Schobert and Ogbah, Coleman rusty -- Terry Pluto

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Scribbles in my Cleveland Browns notebook as they face the Chicago Bears in the final preseason game on Thursday at FirstEnergy Stadium:

1. It's really hard to develop any grand themes from the final preseason game. For the Browns, the good news is Robert Griffin III didn't get hurt. He didn't look bad. I have been guardedly optimistic about Griffin for much of the preseason. Nothing in this game changes that opinion.

2. Rookies Carl Nassib and Emmanuel Ogbah are defensive linemen with speed. That's why there is reason for optimism about these selections. Nassib batted down a pass. The stat sheet said it was only his second of the preseason, but I swear he has more than that. Ogbah was credited with his second sack of the preseason. I thought Nassib also had a hand in that.

3. The main point is Ogbah (a second-round pick) and Nassib (a third-round pick) look like NFL players and have not been overmatched in the preseason.

4. One of the reasons -- not the main one -- the Browns cut Paul Kruger is Joe Schobert. The Browns have been impressed by the rookie from Wisconsin. He has had some nice moments on special teams and you do notice him when he's playing outside linebacker.

5. Outside linebacker Nate Orchard didn't start. Not a good sign, given Kruger was cut. The Browns were playing Ogbah and Schobert more. Cam Johnson also saw some action at outside linebacker.

6. The Browns threw a 12-yard pass to Isaiah Crowell. It was the kind of short pass that required a nice touch, and Griffin delivered it just right. Jackson wants to get the backs involved in the passing game. Crowell caught only 28 passes on his first two seasons. Jackson believes he can be a weapon catching balls out of the backfield.

7. Last season, most of the passes to running backs went to Duke Johnson (61 catches). Jackson has some plays where Johnson lines up as a wide receiver. Once the regular season opens, it will be fun to see how Jackson works his backs into the offense. Josh McCown threw four passes to running back Terrell Watson. The Browns are using some screen passes, and that should help against blitzes. In the first half, running backs caught six passes. Fullback Malcolm Johnson caught a 3-yard pass.

8. Corey Coleman caught his first pass. The Browns first-rounder missed the first two preseason games with a hamstring injury. He has looked rusty, dropping a perfect pass on a crossing route. Coleman was targeted four times and had one catch for 10 yards.

9. It's been a disappointing preseason for Coleman. The rookie from Baylor has been hampered by the hamstring injury and since coming back, it's been rocky. He looked very good in the spring minicamps.

10. The Browns anticipate Coleman playing a key role. That means they have to really get him ready in practice.

11. The Browns only threw one pass to Terrelle Pryor. It still appears he will be a starting receiver. I believe Jackson has some plays ready to put the ball in Pryor's hands once the games count.

12. Josh Gordon caught three passes for 29 yards. He was mauled on a long pass, but no interference was called. Gordon looks sharp as he heads into his four-game suspension. Now, the Browns have to work to keep him that way as he sits out. He can be in the practice facility, but is not allowed to practice. He can take part in individual workouts.

13. Former Browns QB Brian Hoyer was 12-of-16 for 112 yards. He is secure as the Bears backup quarterback.

14. Two really bad things in the first half. Patrick Murray missed a 31-yard field goal ... wide right. No rush. No problems with the snap. Nothing but a lousy kick. The Browns defense was flagged for having 12 men on the field. On the next play, they had only 10 as the Bears scored on a 1-yard touchdown.

15. I thought rookie quarterback Cody Kessler looked a bit overwhelmed in the third quarter.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index...bbles_som.html

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " I thought rookie quarterback Cody Kessler looked a bit overwhelmed in the third quarter."

........... A Bit overwhelmed ???????

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

On Kessler, I have a difficult time believing Hue made that pick. No one rated Kessler as being 3rd round talent, yet Hue is getting credit for the pick.

I believe Hue is a better judge of NFL QB talent than reaching for talent ranked in the range of 5th to UDFA, in the 3rd round.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
LOL a bit overwhelmed?? the dude looked like I would if I played last night

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Kessler is at best a 7th round flyer and at worst an average major college QB

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
it's going to be a tough season no doubt. Most of ours are but this one, well. What we should hope for is progress from game 1 to game 16 and that some of our young guys emerge as REAL NFL players.

Legend
Legend
I'm hoping that Coleman, Ogbah, and Nassib prove to be viable professional players/playmakers.

And then one of the other rookie WRs to show the ability to be a viable option.

Hopefully Kindred or Campbell can turn into a starting S option as well.

And Erving OR Shelton shows marked improvement (Erving more likely as of now IMO)

mac #1148821 09/02/16 09:17 AM
C
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

On Kessler, I have a difficult time believing Hue made that pick. No one rated Kessler as being 3rd round talent, yet Hue is getting credit for the pick.

I believe Hue is a better judge of NFL QB talent than reaching for talent ranked in the range of 5th to UDFA, in the 3rd round.

Why? He flat out said he did! I believe he said "trust me" or something along those lines. Your hatred for the entire FO is unreal.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nassib seems to be a high strung, high energy cheerleader type guy. Heck, I'll just say it...He seems crazy...Exactly what I'd want in a team leader!

Watching him and Ogbah develop might be the highlight of this season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't believe it was even possible for the Browns to be worse than at any other time since the return. Now, I'm sure of it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Nassib seems to be a high strung, high energy cheerleader type guy. Heck, I'll just say it...He seems crazy...Exactly what I'd want in a team leader!

Watching him and Ogbah develop might be the highlight of this season.

With Nate Orchard getting reps with the 4th stringers yday, I think we'll get to see plenty of Ogbah.

Legend
Legend
This year's team plays the 99, 00, 01 teams ... who wins?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I didn't believe it was even possible for the Browns to be worse than at any other time since the return. Now, I'm sure of it.

It always seems like it can't get worse yet somehow still does. I've learned not to say it can't get worse anymore.

Legend
Legend
I think this headline kinda says it all:

'Browns lose 21-7 to the Bears despite playing starters against backups in 1st half'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

P.S. It's hard being a fan of this team, but fans we are.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Many a Dawg wanted Dak ( me included ) ... Still don't understand the Kessler pick ???? Hope the first round pick Colemen show's up this season !

Last edited by waterdawg; 09/02/16 09:35 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How the hell are they going to come up with 53 players? Of course they'll have to and when they do, around 38 of them will suck. Of the 15 or so who don't, at least one third will be rookies. Say they can train another 10 or so not to suck over the next year or so. They'll need to draft or pick up in FA another 18-20 players who can actually play. We're at least two years away from fielding a complete team with backup depth. That's if the FO drafts well, picks valuable FA's, and the coaching staff is decent and allowed time to build. We all know how it has gone in the past. The outlook is bleak. Very bleak.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Many a Dawg wanted Dak ( me included ) ... Still don't understand the Kessler pick ???? Hope the first round pick Colemen show's up this season !

My interest kinda faded out after halftime so I didn't watch Kessler intently. It just gets too depressing.

You can always flip this around: A loss is really a win for next years draft picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Good:

The first string D seemed to be getting steady pressure.

The Bad & Ugly:

Everything Else.

I think we could paint 3 giant rings on the field, and accurately call our games circuses. Whether the "shows" would be considered comedic or tragic is up to debate.

We've got a lot of work to do and not a lot of time. Hopefully Hue can keep them focused because it will be impossible to maintain a winning attitude/culture if we keep going out and looking like that.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

My interest kinda faded out after halftime so I didn't watch Kessler intently. It just gets too depressing.

You can always flip this around: A loss is really a win for next years draft picks.

You made it longer than I did. I quit watching at the end of the first, and it took all I had in me to do that. I'm really not looking forward to going to Cleveland 8 times this year and wasting an entire Sunday. At least the tailgates are worth it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My first cut is Kessler. Game appears too big and fast for him now. Some looked average okay. Liked the run for TD! Get the other flunkies outta here.

GENUINELY mediocre outing.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg

You made it longer than I did. I quit watching at the end of the first, and it took all I had in me to do that. I'm really not looking forward to going to Cleveland 8 times this year and wasting an entire Sunday. At least the tailgates are worth it.

I've been to about half a dozen Browns games in my lifetime, if that. I've never seen them win one. As soon as they start doing really bad? It's like a mass depression over the stadium. Homie don't like that! I guess it's not as bad if you drink, but I don't so I won't be going to one again anytime soon. Plus I'm kinda poor now and have better things to spend my cash on then this perpetual losing team. You know?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
My post game thoughts...thankful I relinquished my season tickets, finally. It's liberating and my hard earned dollars can be spent on constructive endeavors.

Our ticket agent has called five times trying to get us back. Simply told him that when there is something other than disappointment and heartbreak in it for us, we will return.

He asked us to define " something in it for us". We said winning eight games is what it will take. Nothing less.

He offered field passes and opportunities to meet players. We said that when you've met Bernie Kosar, Reggie Langhorn, Webster Slaughter, Frank Minnifield and others, who did he have to offer? That conversation ended quickly!

He said he will call back when they win eight. We said we will hold him to it and return at that time. Based on pre season performance, for what it's worth, could be a long wait!

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

I've been to about half a dozen Browns games in my lifetime, if that. I've never seen them win one. As soon as they start doing really bad? It's like a mass depression over the stadium. Homie don't like that! I guess it's not as bad if you drink, but I don't so I won't be going to one again anytime soon. Plus I'm kinda poor now and have better things to spend my cash on then this perpetual losing team. You know?

Don't give up because, on the other hand, there is nothing like being in the stadium when they win and the stadium is shaking and you can't hear yourself think.

Last edited by Cjrae; 09/02/16 10:28 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
This year's team plays the 99, 00, 01 teams ... who wins?

99, 00, 01 - and it wouldn't even be close.

This squad looks 1970's Bucs kinda bad.... or whatever season it was that Detroit went 0-16. We just might tie their record.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
This squad looks 1970's Bucs kinda bad

One of my all-time favorite coaching quotes came from John McKay:
Reporter: "How do you feel about the execution of your defense?"
McKay: "I think it's a good idea."

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Hahaha, how could I have forgotten that one.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
You know that headline isn't accurate right?

Don't read into my sentence above, I'm not saying the Browns played well. But the headline is misleading.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I'm hoping that Coleman, Ogbah, and Nassib prove to be viable professional players/playmakers.
Ogbah and Nassib play last night is a reminder (at least to me) that Kruger was released because he quite simply doesn't provide as much as rush as they do.

Schobert looks good too.

Quote:
Hopefully Kindred or Campbell can turn into a starting S option as well.
I think Campbell is gonna be a solid Safety. Consistent tackler with decent speed/range net-net Whitner-vs-Campbell you still get solid tackling perhaps with less thump, you get more speed but less experience.

Quote:
And Erving OR Shelton shows marked improvement (Erving more likely as of now IMO)
I think Shelton will be decent as long as he's play 1-gap and not 2.

Erving....well it looks like he's gonna need consistent double team help...

For those interested here's PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-was...sive-preseason/

Quote:
Top offensive grades

RT Alvin Bailey, 79.4

FB Malcolm Johnson, 78.3

G Austin Pasztor, 77.0

LT Spencer Drango, 73.2

RT Shonn Coleman, 72.5

Cleveland’s OT depth continues to impress in pass protection

Alvin Bailey and Spencer Drango continued to be two bright spots for the Browns. Bailey allowed one sack on 41 pass-blocking snaps. This was the only pressure given up by Bailey during the preseason on 56 total pass-blocking snaps. Drango allowed two pressures on 23 pass-blocking snaps versus the Bears, and finished the preseason with just three total pressures allowed on 60 pass-blocking snaps.

Top defensive grades

DI Armonty Bryant, 76.3

LB Chris Kirksey, 75.5

DE Carl Nassib, 75.3

CB Eric Patterson, 74.6

S Rahim Moore, 74.4

Rookie DE Carl Nassib proving to be pass-rushing threat

Armonty Bryant played 42 total snaps and had an impact against the pass (with a sack, a hit, and a batted pass), against the run with two run stops, and also added a blocked extra point on special teams. Rookie Carl Nassib continued to show promise with his ability to disrupt the passing game. On only nine pass rushes, he was able to generate a hurry and also a batted pass. Nassib has totaled two sacks, five hurries, and two batted passes for the preseason.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

Why? He flat out said he did! I believe he said "trust me" or something along those lines. Your hatred for the entire FO is unreal.

The quote you are looking for is:

And if your knee-jerk reaction is that this is just the Browns being the Browns, new coach Hue Jackson would like a word.
“He almost completed 68 percent of his passes," Jackson, who has a history of getting the most out of young quarterbacks, said via the team's website. "The guy has had a tremendous career. I understand where everybody is coming from, but you’ve got to trust me on this one. This is a guy that we feel very comfortable with, and we think he’s going to have an opportunity to ascend.”

If you are a coach and the FO takes a guy you really didn't want, you say neutral things and try to put a positive spin on it.. you don't give THAT endorsement unless you are 100% behind the pick..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

rofl

Legend
Legend
Quote:

rofl

Quote:
"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."
rofl

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
The game threads are gonna be epic this year can't wait

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jcamm
The game threads are gonna be epic this year can't wait

lol it'll be rather negative

E
Legend
Legend
E
I will be mocked at the sports bar. But the mocking wont be worse than when we had manziel.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see a very young team with some very sound talent... get them experience and coached up and we might be pleasantly surprised..

Not sure why so many are so down on this team... New Coaches,, Fo.. Players... What did you really expect ?

Besides it's just pre-season games....

The only thing that should be expected out of this season is to see if the young guys get coached up...

Kessler... who the hell cares about a 3rd stringer ? that's next years problems... There's 2 others above him that need to perform....

As far as threads and posting... I don't think it's the team playing crappy as much as it is the same old posters who bitch and fight back and forth who make coming here a miserable thing..

Adults being childish... not much enjoyment in seeing that over and over...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Can't wait for Eotab "what I saw thread" so he can spin his
Optimism after the Browns get start out 1-7 or 2-6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Bears 21 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard