Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1150017 09/05/16 12:13 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

If the Browns are going to win a game this should be the game.

Carson Wentz has been named week one starter for the Eagles. Wentz has played in one pre-season game and missed the rest with a hairline rib fracture.

He comes to the Eagles from North Dakota State. Not exactly the most recognized football school.

The Eagles had planned on having Wentz sit this year until The Vikings lost Bridgewater and then traded a first rounder to get Bradford.

So Wentz gets the nod over Chase Daniels who does know the system and has way more experience. They figured Wentz is the future so let him get his lumps now.

Enter the Browns. Going against the Eagles who are predicted to win very few games starting a quarterback who was expected to sit this year. Jared Goff selected number one was named the third string quarterback for the Rams.

The Browns have plenty of rookies and are not expected to win many games. So maybe this the time that the Browns can actually start the season 1-0. Can't remember the last time they won the first game.

Legend
Legend
spread instantly goes from 7 to 3.5

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Last (and only) season opening win: against Baltimore in 04

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
I'm not sure what the reaction around here would be if Wentz plays well and the Browns lose. It would be "interesting", to put it mildly.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude
I'm not sure what the reaction around here would be if Wentz plays well and the Browns lose. It would be "interesting", to put it mildly.

its going to happen

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Horton will be throwing every blitz he has at the rook.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

let's hope it works then. for years our blitzers seem to get picked up quite easily and disappear into the line ... leaving slants/swings/crossing routes open to gouge us

Legend
Legend
no tape on him. overconfident team. not a good combination. I don't like it.

Of course, the alternative is Chase Daniel, who has already roasted us IIRC.

Honestly I wish they still had Bradford, and I think Wentz is going to be a bust regardless of what happens this weekend.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hopefully Nassib can get a clean, wide open hit on them ribs lol...

Dawg_LB #1150041 09/05/16 12:56 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Hopefully Nassib can get a clean, wide open hit on them ribs lol...

or maybe we don't want to knock him out of the game wink

Legend
Legend

Do we even have the talent in the front 7 for that to be effective?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Honestly I wish they still had Bradford, and I think Wentz is going to be a bust regardless of what happens this weekend.

I don't. It hasn't been mentioned, but in the short term, Philly was going to win more games with Bradford. This helps us with the 1st round pick we got from Philly.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Chase Daniel has never played a meaningful snap against the Browns

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really dont know what we have especially n defense. All we have to go on with these guys is college production. Even our year 2 guys have not had success at this level its the college production that we hope can now translate to this level.

I like the type of pass rushers we have however. These guys arent just the great athlete with burst that never made plays. The guys we have left produced sacks and made tackles for lost. They have that high football IQ combined with relentless hustle. They want to play football because they enjoy playing the game.

Mostof these guys are exactly the type of players we have begged for since the return. Now do i think horton is capable of getting these guys to play at a high level? no i really dont have any confidence in him to be honest but just like these kids he is gonna get a chance to prove himself here.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Horton blitzes like crazy no matter who the QB is, it's what he does.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Just hoping that RG3 plays well - that Hue's offense is on point and we show some signs of life. Hoping the preseason was a vanilla blend of plays that we won't see in the regular season. Hoping to see: Duke active as a receiver, Coleman getting the ball in space/1 on 1 match-ups so we can see him shake and bake/Erving not caving in/ running the call consistently.

Defense is potentially so awful that we might make Wentz look good if he is playing - all I want to see is some signs of life from some of the rookies - Haden back to close to his best - and please oh pretty please, some tackling.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Hopefully we should be able to win this one... Anyone know the stats on rookie QBs in their first start?

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
We might actually have a shot to win an opener.

Then again, Ryan Mathews might have a career day against the Browns rush D. I'd imagine several screens and/or outlet passes to Sproles as well. Those two could take a lot of the pressure off of Wentz.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Doug Pederson isn't stupid. He knows right now the offense goes through
Ryan Matthews.
Expect alot of running on early downs to set up 3rd and makeables.
This isn't a automatic win for the Browns
Wentz does have some talent at WR and Phillys front 7 is better than
Average.
I expect a low scoring game.
If the Browns run defense can miraclously show up and make The
Eagles one dimensinal it's easier route to a win

C
Legend
Legend
C
Starts by rookie QBs against us since 1999:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl..._by=pass_rating

Legend
Legend
Ryan Matthews is not that great.

Which usually means he will have a breakout game.

However! I am starting him in FF. So he should most likely have a terrible game..

Anyways..

The key to our Run D at least to start out I think will be tackling. The first guy there has to bring him down. It seems in the past that if the first guy misses, then someone else will miss too.

2nd and 8 instead of 2nd and 5. *Al Pachino Voice*

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
cfrs15 #1150104 09/05/16 04:24 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
History shows the QBS on that list who go on to be playoff QBS usually more often than not beat the Browns.
I wonder how blitzes Horton will dial.up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully we don't play similarly to how we did against Jameis Winston. We lose contain on Wentz and he could hurt us if his ribs hold up. Maybe we signed Holmes strictly to rattle Wentz with this game in mind.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
cfrs15 #1150108 09/05/16 04:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Starts by rookie QBs against us since 1999:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl..._by=pass_rating

That stat is INCREDIBLE. If I counted correctly, teams who start a rookie against us are 30-13 .. just MIND BOGGLING

I assume it'll be 31-13

Legend
Legend
if that doesn't define ineptitude I don't know what else to say

Legend
Legend
It is almost impossible to know what Wentz will be in the 1st game.

He is coming off of injured (fractured)ribs. He went 12/24 for 89 yards and an INT against the Bucs in week 1 i=of the preseason. (I believe that was just over a half)

That's it. He sat out games 2, 3, and 4. I don't know how much practice he has had. He reportedly returned to practice 2 weeks ago, the Monday befor the preseason finale .... so he got a little bit of time on the field, but not much.

We'll see how he develops, being thrown into the fire. I would sit him, if I were the coach. It seems to me that he has had little time to actually prepare to be an NLF QB. Of course, this probably means that we will give up 500 yards passing and 6 TD in week 1. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
He didn't even get #2 QB reps in Training Camp..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's assured we'll have a top 10 pick in 17 so it'd be nice to send Philly on their way to a crap season so we'd collect 2 top 10's or better.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
It's assured we'll have a top 10 pick in 17 so it'd be nice to send Philly on their way to a crap season so we'd collect 2 top 10's or better.

We could legitimately have the Top 2 picks in the draft..

Legend
Legend

Have you seen our run defense? It isn't going to matter.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We really didnt show any run blitz at all until the first quarter of this last game and then only for a couple plays. Lebeau way is to run blitz early and often. Doesnt mean we wont be horrible but just that we really havent played anything but our most basic of defensive sets. those sets we are unlikely to play much under Horton.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You all leave out the Philly defense and they are a very solid group. This philly team is stacked believe that we will lose regardless of who the QB for them is.

This is the perfect 1st game for the rook in combo with their running attack we are dust.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
You all leave out the Philly defense and they are a very solid group. This philly team is stacked believe that we will lose regardless of who the QB for them is.

This is the perfect 1st game for the rook in combo with their running attack we are dust.

yeah, i expect fletcher cox to be a force against our OL ... and for them to focus on getting the ball quickly to both Matthews

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It would be nice if he can figure out how to stop the other guys on 3rd down. That would be a pleasant change of pace.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Man you can't write it any better than this.

Browns have the 2nd pick, trade it to the Eagles for a number of picks in the future. The Eagles then turn around and pick Wentz at 2.

Teddy Bridgewater goes down and the Eagles trade their starter to the Vikes and then name Wentz the starter against the Browns.

If Wentz plays well, the FO of the Browns will NEVER hear the end of it. LOL

This is gonna be something to watch for sure.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I remember Adrian Peterson's first game against us, after we passed on him. He slaughtered us.

Hope the same doesn't happen with Wentz.

Legend
Legend
Come on guys. Have some faith.

We about to murder Wentz. It's gonna be as bad as last year against Mariota. Pryor is about to go off first game of the season.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm worried about RG3 surviving Fletcher Cox in a 4-3.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Have you seen our run defense? It isn't going to matter.

And this is why it's a perfect situation for a rookie Qb. No credible secondary. No credible run defense. Wentz has a good environment to flourish within and gain experience.

C'mon, they'd be stupid to not play him given what our defense is.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I'm worried about RG3 surviving Fletcher Cox in a 4-3.

that's a concern

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Eagles 29 Wentz to start

Link Copied to Clipboard