Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D

Great post. Great question, would Wentz survive behind our line? I'm hoping people respond to that. I wasn't under the impression that Philly had a stable front on the oline there. He seems to have good protection when I watch him. However, I don't pay attention to the Eagles and don't know what they have and don't have.

Legend
Legend
Schwartz walked/was let go depending on whoever opinion you want to roll with.

Mack was gone bro. He didn't want to be here.

I'm interested in seeing how these two rookies pan out, if they get any PT.

But if it stays the same, I expect the FO to address that in FA or the draft in the second round.

However, they better not be cheap if we go the FA route.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
let's not forget that the eagles had a boat load of talent that makes Wentz life a hell of a lot easier than if he came here.

The Eagles where projected to be a poor team and lucky to win any games before Wentz was drafted. Now they're world beaters with a boat load of talent? superconfused Also Wentz has been taking a pounding and he's showing he's as tough as nails. His pre-season injury isn't effecting him at all.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
the eagles defense has been dominant. What they did to the steelers....wow.

Wentz doesn't play on that side of the ball. And let's not forget, coaching can change a lot.

I give a lot of credit to Wentz. He's playing lights out football. But everybody else still has to show up. It's a team game.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
35-3 against the the Steelers tells me all I need to know about Wentz. He's ready for the NFL. We blew it and now we'll pay for it again with the traded draft pick from the Eagles that will probably be like a second round pick now.

– Jackie Robinson
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
He looks good so far, but there are plenty of teams who got out hot then flamed out, Hoyer with us 2 years ago, Fitz with the Bills were 5 and 2 then creash and burn

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I really did not think the Eagles would be this good. I'll unhappily eat my words on here.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
35-3 against the the Steelers tells me all I need to know about Wentz. He's ready for the NFL. We blew it and now we'll pay for it again with the traded draft pick from the Eagles that will probably be like a second round pick now.

Did people suddenly forget that the Eagles traded up twice to get to 2? They did win 7 games last year; their defense is largely the same for the most part too, their offensive pace due to Kelly's scheme wore them down.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jcamm
He looks good so far, but there are plenty of teams who got out hot then flamed out, Hoyer with us 2 years ago, Fitz with the Bills were 5 and 2 then creash and burn

And we didn't draft them either. And I don't think either started as Rookies but I may be wrong. You are comparing Wentz to veteran starters. Just saying.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Did people suddenly forget that the Eagles traded up twice to get to 2? They did win 7 games last year; their defense is largely the same for the most part too, their offensive pace due to Kelly's scheme wore them down.

Oh no....I remember. We blew it.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Does Wentz survive behind our O Line?

He gets rid of the ball far more quickly that any of our guys. I believe I saw a stat that said he gets rid of it in like 1.9 seconds. Our guys are probably more like 3.9. Wish I had a link to back it up, so FWIW.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
Hindsight is always 20/20. But let's not forget that the eagles had a boat load of talent that makes Wentz life a hell of a lot easier than if he came here.

I said it earlier and will repeat it here, I'm amazed at how Wentz held the Steelers to only 3 points.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Hindsight is always 20/20. But let's not forget that the eagles had a boat load of talent that makes Wentz life a hell of a lot easier than if he came here.

I said it earlier and will repeat it here, I'm amazed at how Wentz held the Steelers to only 3 points.

He's just that good.

Wentz has been very impressive. It stinks that we may have missed on another chance to draft a good QB. I understand why we didn't draft him (the head coach did not want him). The thing we should be questioning is where the evaluation of Wentz went wrong (if he continues to perform at a high level).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I ignored it the first time, and I know you're just having fun, but 3 points allowed aside, he was actually on the other side of the ball that scored 34 points against the vaunted Steelers D, and he went 23 for 31, 301yds with 2 TDs and no INTs with a QBR of 125.9, with six scoring drives. So... yeah.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I went to the Steelers website to listen to Tomlin's post game presser. He admitted the team, as a whole, did not tackle well. He also mentioned that Wentz had 300 yards passing but 150 of that was off screens that got big YAC because the Steelers missed so many tackles. Whether he was right or not I did not fact check. But he said it.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I ignored it the first time, and I know you're just having fun, but 3 points allowed aside, he was actually on the other side of the ball that scored 34 points against the vaunted Steelers D, and he went 23 for 31, 301yds with 2 TDs and no INTs with a QBR of 125.9, with six scoring drives. So... yeah.

The Steelers defense hasn't been vaunted for quite a while.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe not, but it doesn't really change the facts. And it doesn't change how he looks out there playing the position. We'll see how he does against Seattle and the Vikings here in a couple weeks. Those should be decent tests.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I'm amazed how the Steelers only held Wentz to 35 points.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He also mentioned that Wentz had 300 yards passing but 150 of that was off screens that got big YAC because the Steelers missed so many tackles.

Because he couldn't say he was out coached. brownie

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The thing we should be questioning is where the evaluation of Wentz went wrong (if he continues to perform at a high level).

This is my concern as well. The guys getting paid millions to make these decisions appear to have completely whiffed on it or were scared to pull the trigger.

Instead, they preferred rolling with RGIII, allegedly attempted to trade for Kaepernick and drafted Kessler. A little concerning as far as QB evaluations go.

Personally, I wanted Goff in the draft and who knows what he will turn out to be. However, I'm just a guy on a message board who's profession doesn't ride on getting these decisions right.

I have a feeling, if we continue to play as competitively as we have the last couple of weeks, we'll win just enough to have that potential top pick and franchise QB fall just out of reach. The Bears are lousy and 49ers are back to getting trounced. We might be 3rd in line for the QB lotto.

The FO is young and are sure to make mistakes along the way. Let's just hope they reconsider how they may or may not evaluate the QB position. DePodesta needs to tweak that algorithm.

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

People are so intent on defending the FO, that they are resorting to making things up and refuse to acknowledge what this kid is doing.

It's hard to believe he is a rookie. It's not about his numbers or just playing in three games. It is about the poise, the decision making, the accuracy, the intelligence to change protections and call audibles, the ability to extend plays and not panic in the pocket.

The kid is an excellent qb.

I was wrong in my pre-draft assessment of not wanting the Browns to draft him w/the second overall pick.

You know its quite possible for Wentz to end up being a great QB and the trade still have been the right decision. You had your grade on him wrong..you weren't the only one.

Legend
Legend
j/c:

People are so intent on defending the FO, that they are resorting to making things up and refuse to acknowledge what this kid is doing.

It's hard to believe he is a rookie. It's not about his numbers or just playing in three games. It is about the poise, the decision making, the accuracy, the intelligence to change protections and call audibles, the ability to extend plays and not panic in the pocket.

The kid is an excellent qb.

I was wrong in my pre-draft assessment of not wanting the Browns to draft him w/the second overall pick.

Good post.

So far? I think he's lookin' damn good too!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

Look, if you don't want to talk about it.........Don't! However, I am so tired of guys like you telling others what they can or can't talk about.

Where did I say in my post you CAN'T talk about it? Show me.

If you take the time to re-read my post you will notice I state an opinion. Just as you do about Wentz and how you believe we should have taken him and the coaches whiffed on trading the #2. But, if you re-read my post you will see that nowhere do I say "hey guys, you can't talk about this".

Go ahead and waste the energy...by all means get super worked up and angry about it. It doesn't change the fact the coaches decided to pass on him and he he isn't a Cleveland Brown. Personally I would save all that angst and energy on players who are actually on the team.

I'll gladly show you:

Quote:
Wentz isn't a Brown so it should be a mute point. We passed on the guy. It is time to move forward as there is no point in harking on what could, would or should have been. It is wasted energy at this point.

Oh, and it sounds like you are the one who is angry. I'm not angry at all. And I am going to talk about the moves the team makes regardless of what you say.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I really did not think the Eagles would be this good. I'll unhappily eat my words on here.

Well, I didn't think they would be anywhere near this good either. I do commend you for owning up, though. That is very rare around here.

Oh, and I didn't make that original observation to slam you.......it was more to point out that the Eagles were supposed to be crappy this year. No one thought they would be playing this good. No one. Thus, I don't think it is fair for some to say that Wentz would not be playing well in Cleveland.

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

Look, if you don't want to talk about it.........Don't! However, I am so tired of guys like you telling others what they can or can't talk about.

Where did I say in my post you CAN'T talk about it? Show me.

If you take the time to re-read my post you will notice I state an opinion. Just as you do about Wentz and how you believe we should have taken him and the coaches whiffed on trading the #2. But, if you re-read my post you will see that nowhere do I say "hey guys, you can't talk about this".

Go ahead and waste the energy...by all means get super worked up and angry about it. It doesn't change the fact the coaches decided to pass on him and he he isn't a Cleveland Brown. Personally I would save all that angst and energy on players who are actually on the team.

I'll gladly show you:

Quote:
Wentz isn't a Brown so it should be a mute point. We passed on the guy. It is time to move forward as there is no point in harking on what could, would or should have been. It is wasted energy at this point.

Oh, and it sounds like you are the one who is angry. I'm not angry at all. And I am going to talk about the moves the team makes regardless of what you say.

Vers, seriously man....nowhere in there does he say you can't talk about it....even where you supposedly 'show him', he doesn't say that.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Wentz should be held against the Browns.

However, it's not the final nail in the coffin. Far from it.

The Browns got a lot of talent out of that deal, a lot of it still to come. And from what I've seen out of our draft, I feel confident that the Browns FO can turn the picks into a lot more talent as well.

It is possible for both teams to have won the trade. Unfortunately, Wentz is really good in a position we really need.

I don't know...at least we aren't the Rams I guess?

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

I am trying to figure out what this has to do w/how Wentz is playing?

Is the Eagles D helping him w/audibles and changing blocking protection. Are they helping him w/accuracy and poise? Are they helping him be tough?

Not sure what the D has to do w/how well Wentz is playing?

Btw---------in case anyone is interested.

Last year, Philly's offense was 13th in scoring. This year they are first.

Last year, Philly's defense was 30th in points allowed. This year they are first.

Hmmmmmmmmm...............

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What? He says there is no point in harking on it and it is time to move forward. What does that mean in your world?

Look...........I am not going to keep dwelling on this w/you guys. However, I am going to continue talking about the moves this team makes. Both good and bad. It's a message board.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Is the Eagles D helping him w/audibles and changing blocking protection. Are they helping him w/accuracy and poise? Are they helping him be tough?

Last year, Philly's defense was 30th in points allowed. This year they are first.

Give Jim Schwartz a defensive line with as much talent as the Eagles have, and he'll give you one hell of a defense.

you had a good run Hank.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
This is my concern as well. The guys getting paid millions to make these decisions appear to have completely whiffed on it or were scared to pull the trigger.

Instead, they preferred rolling with RGIII, allegedly attempted to trade for Kaepernick and drafted Kessler. A little concerning as far as QB evaluations go.

I have a lot of concern about the ability of the Browns decision makers and their ability to judge QB talent.

Where is it written that if the Browns signed RG3, that they could not use their 2nd pick to take Wentz?

There is "no rule" saying that the Browns could not take a QB with their #2 pick if they signed RG3.

Look at what the Eagles did...they had Bradford and still drafted Wentz, knowing that at the very least, if Wentz did not progress to a point where they thought he should start, the Eagles could bring him along slowly and still have Bradford to lead their offense until Wentz was ready.

The Browns front office seemed to lock themselves into an "either/or" solution...believing that they could not do both, sign RG3 and draft Wentz.

I think it's a damn shame that the Browns had a Ben Roethlisberger clone starring them in the face, there for the taking and the Browns passed on the guy...someone who might have been capable of leading a franchise for the next 10 yrs.

That is not a "small misjudgement"...IT IS HUGE!

It's harder than hell to get a good QB but if you happen to have two good QBs, finding a trading partner is not that hard.

Why do the Browns have to learn their lessons the hard way?

Last edited by mac; 09/26/16 05:04 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
So, you are of the mindset that Wentz is not doing good things at qb?

D
Legend
Legend
D

Hmmmmmmmmm................ Makes one wonder if we hired the right QB GURU and HC ... naughtydevil

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I really like Hue and hope he stays for a long time.

Right now..........I am good w/the FO. I like some of their moves and dislike other moves. I support them, but don't like how some posters act like it is a sin to question any move they make.

Oh............and none of QBs is anywhere close to Wentz mentally. LOL

D
Legend
Legend
D

Right now..........I am good w/the FO. I like some of their moves and dislike other moves. I support them, but don't like how some posters act like it is a sin to question any move they make.

What he's doing mentally is INCREDIBLE .. Well beyond his years upstairs ... And u know how IMPORTANT that is ...

It could be fun to watch him grow .. Hopefully Phili lets him develop and doesn't do what Indi has done to Luck and made him a target in the pocket ...

I agree with U that you don't pass on Wentz if u think he's going to be a FRANCHISE QB .. They don't come along all that often .. U know this .. If he was here ... He'd have an entirely different experience than he is having in Phili ..

At the end of the day ... If we don't find a QB to lead us to the promised land ... These guys will ALL BE GONE because of it ..

D
Legend
Legend
D

As for Hue .. Just like the FO he's done some good and bad ... I'm concerned about somethings he's done that just make NO SENSE .. He's made some HORRIFIC DECISIONS that are INEXCUSABLE ...

I think he's GREAT for now .. He's ALLEDGELY a great teacher ... And as u well know .. With these pups that is exactly what the doctor ordered ..

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I gotta say this again. I was wrong about the guy. Big time. And it is one area specifically.

When I watched his college tapes, I thought he was too slow at processing his reads. I thought he held it too long and that extra second or second and a half would be his potential undoing in the pros.

However, that isn't the case at all. The guy is processing things on time. I know this sounds arrogant, but I can't believe I was that wrong on that aspect of his game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, Hue has made some head-scratching decisions, but I really, really wanna give this guy at least 3-4 years. At least.

I thought his game-plan yesterday was close to genius in that he really masked Kessler's weaknesses and got the most out of him that he could.

Bro............we need continuity. Gotta stick it out this time. What worries me is that the same guys who are ga-ga over the FO and Hue now.....will be calling for their heads towards the end of next season where they have had to watch loss after loss after loss for two straight years w/this regime.

I'm good w/pointing out their mistakes, but the idea is to learn from them and improve the specifics while sticking w/the overall long-term plan.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Regardless of what Cody Kessler might become, I absolutely wish we had Carson Wentz.

I wanted the kid back at draft time because I felt like it was a RARE opportunity for us to FINALLY get one of the top QB's available and not have to wait on sloppy seconds or thirds.

I like Wentz' size, his arm, and his attitude coming out of College and it absolutely stuns me that our front office and coaching staff didn't like him enough to take him.

Now the Eagles are 3-0 and look like a bunch of genius's ....

Cleveland on the other hand looks like .... Cleveland.

We're 0-3 and still the laughing stock of the league. We literally handed Philadelphia what in all likelihood will be their franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Would've, could've, should've aside though ... Kessler looked good yesterday, but it was against a very bad Dolphins team. I'll be very interested to see how the entire offense follows up the performance in Washington.

If Kessler can by some miracle START the remaining 13 games on our schedule and play well (though I doubt we win more than 3 or 4 total games) then it might be possible we build around him moving forward. That would be nice to use that top five pick next year on the defensive end from Texas A&M and then use the Eagles pick on the top RT or CB.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

My only point, to a couple of posters, is that Wentz is not the only player on that team. The hyperbole gets excessive at times, not by you.

The Eagles have some WRs and even RBs that got huge YAC and their D had Pitts offense stiffled. Had Pitt jumped out with with a 10 point lead their D would have pinned their ears back going all out for the QB. I've seen it a hundred times. As it were their D was on it's heels playing from behind the whole game.

Wentz looks really good so far. I wouldn't mind having him on my team. But we've all seen teams go 4-0 and then go on to lose the next 7 games in a row and finish the last 5 at 2-3. I think it's way too early to anoint Wentz as anything other than playing really well to this point, on a very talented team.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That talented team was expected to be one of the very worst teams in the league. Many of the posters on this board were saying the Eagles were going to be worse than the Browns.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Carson Wentz: After the Fact

Link Copied to Clipboard