Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1174634 10/16/16 06:52 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
This honestly makes me question Hue's judgement. Idiotic move at an inopportune time. Made no sense at the time nor in hindsight.

Dumb.

Glad we lost. Still hoping for 0-16, #1 pick. No sense in winning meaningless games.

Still dumb if you're trying to win games.

BpG #1174635 10/16/16 06:54 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
why play at all if you're not playing to win?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'd much rather we tank than win two meaningless games and get the 5th overall pick.

AKA the PAST 15 SEASONS.

BpG #1174638 10/16/16 06:59 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it a error, but am not going to get all bent out of shape over it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG #1174640 10/16/16 07:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
what's the difference if they go for two first or second? they needed a fg and they needed a 2 pt conversion.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
what's the difference if they go for two first or second? they needed a fg and they needed a 2 pt conversion.
yeah this.

BpG #1174644 10/16/16 07:16 PM
Legend
Legend
I was very surprised we went for 2. The general thought is to prolong any hope as long as possible ... the chances of getting two onside kicks is very low.

Get 1 point, make it an 8 point game, and we just need 1 onside

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
yeah this.

doesn't matter...kick a PAT and miss the 2 pt con...an still lose by one instead of two...I would have kicked it, but I see why he did it. Hue is playing to win not go to OT.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
BpG #1174662 10/16/16 07:47 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
This honestly makes me question Hue's judgement. Idiotic move at an inopportune time. Made no sense at the time nor in hindsight.

Dumb.

Glad we lost. Still hoping for 0-16, #1 pick. No sense in winning meaningless games.

Still dumb if you're trying to win games.

I would have gone for 2 on that drive also. You need 15 pts and you either get 2 tds and an extra pt or you get 2 tds and a field goal.

Feels like you guys are arguing about whether you should take your right shoe off first or left shoe off when getting undressed. Doesnt matter both shoes gotta come off lol.

I AGREE WITH HUE AND WOULD HAVE TRIED FOR 2. Again it just doesnt matter.

BpG #1174664 10/16/16 07:47 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You kill all momentum by whiffing on two. Period.

It is beyond stupid to go down two scores when you can be within one before you need to.

Making excuses for it is just stupid.

BpG #1174665 10/16/16 07:49 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
yep they certainly were deflated when they drove down and scored the touchdown.

Mourgrym #1174667 10/16/16 07:56 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
yep they certainly were deflated when they drove down and scored the touchdown.

and had zero chance to win when they could have went for two and tied it up.......such a good decision.

u srs bro?

Last edited by BpG; 10/16/16 07:56 PM.
BpG #1174669 10/16/16 07:58 PM
Legend
Legend

It is beyond stupid to go down two scores when you can be within one before you need to.

Making excuses for it is just stupid.

Killed momentum?

We scored another TD after that. Either way we needed two point conversion. Cody, if you watch the two point attempt, had an open WR but was off, like he was at different points of the game.

There's no telling if he would've converted the two pointer at the end of the game, as Cody, as good of a game he played, was off target on quite a few throws.

Last edited by Swish; 10/16/16 08:00 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
BpG #1174670 10/16/16 07:59 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not a fan of the decision .. Would rather he didn't but I understand the logic behind it ... At least I understand this move .. To me .. This one isn't TOP 5 in his STUPIDEST DECISIONS SO FAR THIS YEAR ...

1. Kneeling with a time out left .. O need to run it down .. We all know what happend ..

2. Running the QB option with Josh with a shoulder injury that has sidelined him now for 4 weeks .. BEYOND MORONIC ... Running a PURE OLD FASHIONED QB option with Josh is DUMB AS HELL ... Doing it with him hurt takes it well beyond STUPID!!!

3. The fake punt against Phili ...

There's more .. I need some help remembering them .. *L* ..

Overall I'm neutral on him .. He's dome some good things and some bad ... Lets hope it's fun watching this play out ..

BpG #1174671 10/16/16 08:01 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Scoring a TD when you need two scores to win = the same as scoring a TD when you need one to tie....

You people have clearly never played football.

Absolutely ridiculous.

DiamDawg #1174672 10/16/16 08:02 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we made the 2 everyone would be saying what a great decision it was. Damned if you do or don't.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If we made the 2 everyone would be saying what a great decision it was. Damned if you do or don't.

Not me ... I still would think it was a bad move ... But that's just PERSONAL PREFERENCE ..

This one I'm about 60/40 it's a bad move .. But I can clearly understand it ...

I don't think it's stupid at all .. I just don't agree with it ..

The other 3 and at least 2 or 3 others ... Those were STUPID ...

BpG #1174675 10/16/16 08:06 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

We lost so much momentum that we then recovered the onside kick and then scored another TD.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

It would have been a good decision because we would have been tied and going into OT.

As it was, they knew we needed two scores.

cfrs15 #1174678 10/16/16 08:07 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We lost so much momentum that we then recovered the onside kick and then scored another TD.

you mean the TD that meant nothing? That one? Got it.

BpG #1174679 10/16/16 08:07 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Let’s start with the obvious: your odds of winning when trailing by 15 in the 4th quarter are really, really low. From 1994, the first season the two-point attempt was introduced to the NFL, to 2011, 68 teams have entered the 4th quarter trailing by exactly 15 points. Only one of those teams won.
Over that same period, there have been 81 times when a team scored a 4th-quarter touchdown when trailing by 15 points, cutting the lead to 9 (pending the extra point or two-point conversion). Only 5 of those teams went on to win the game, with the most recent occurrence happening last year when the Dolphins were Tebowed.

So when trailing by 15 in the 4th quarter, even after scoring a touchdown, your odds of winning aren’t very good. But of those 81 teams that scored a fourth-quarter touchdown to cut the lead to 9, only nine of them went for two after the touchdown. While the time remaining could play a part in the decision, the fact is most of the other 72 teams made a strategic error in kicking the extra point when trailing by 9 points.

The last1 coach to recognize that going for two is the correct call? College football’s renegade, Steve Spurrier. In college football, the two-point conversion has been around since 1958, and in general, college football coaches are much more comfortable ‘going for 2’ than their NFL counterparts.2

The Ol' Ball Coach momentary forgets to go for two.
Against the 49ers on Sunday, with 6 minutes left in the final frame, Aaron Rodgers connected with James Jones to cut the lead to 30-21. At that point, attempting a two-point conversion is the obviously correct call, in an attempt to cut the lead to 7. I was disappointed but not surprised that Mike McCarthy decided to go for 1. But what did surprise me was seeing a number of smart people on twitter disagree with me that going for 2 is the right call. So I figured I’d devote a post to explaining why in this situation, it’s a no-brainer to go for two.
The counterargument goes something along the lines of “just take the points, that way it is a one-score game.” Essentially, people are afraid of missing the two-point attempt and trailing by 9 points. But it’s not a one-score game. Trailing by 8 isn’t a one-score game if you are going to fail on your two-point try. And there’s no reason to think your odds of converting a 2-point attempt are higher when trailing by 2 than by 9. Trailing by 8 is a 1.5-possiession game; half the time it is a 1-possession game, and half the time it is a 2-possesion game. To simply put your head in the sand and say “I don’t wanna know!!” may keep hope alive longer but it lowers your odds of winning.

There are many hypothetical scenarios where it would really matter to know whether you are going to be successful on your two-point conversion. Say you’re down 15 with 7 minutes to go and score a touchdown. You stop the other team, get the ball back, and drive to their 25. You’re out of timeouts and there are 3 minutes to go. It’s 4th and 10. At that point, wouldn’t your decision to go for it change if you were down by 9 instead of 8? Down 8, teams go for it because they consider it a one-score game. But if you’re going to miss the 2-point conversion, now you’d want to kick the field goal.

Knowledge is power. You need to get a two-point conversion at some point, and knowing whether you’re going to convert is important information. There is no reasonable reason not to go for 2 after your first touchdown. Yes, missing out on the two-point conversion earlier could be demoralizing. But what would you call missing out on a two-point conversion with 5 seconds left when trailing by 2?

There is a reason why coaches fail to go for 2 in this situation, and why smart fans also think it’s correct to take the safe points. It’s because they’re focused on keeping their hope alive as long as possible. As my friend Brian Burke once wrote, “coaches do not coach to maximize their team’s chances of winning. My theory is coaches are delaying elimination until the latest point in the game—that is, trying to “stay in the game” for as long as possible.”

By kicking the extra point, you (falsely) believe you’re staying in the game for longer. A missed two point conversion attempt with 8 seconds left means you had hope for 59 minutes and 52 seconds. Missing the two-point conversion earlier kills your hope, knowing that it’s now a two-score game. But the goal of a coach should be to maximize his team’s odds of winning, not to make his team’s players and fans feel warm and fuzzy. Missing the 2-point attempt at any point is going to drastically lower your team’s odds of winning. It’s true that if you score a touchdown to cut the lead to 9, and then miss the 2-point attempt, your odds of winning have decreased significantly. But it’s not the going for 2 early and failing that lowers your odds of winning, it’s simply missing the 2 point conversion that lowers your odds.

If you are going to convert the 2-point attempt, it doesn’t matter all that much whether you go for it early or late. If you’re going to miss it, going for it earlier significantly improves your odds of pulling off a miraculous comeback, precisely because you’re got almost no chance if you miss it late. If you are going to miss your two-point attempt, you’re in much worse shape finding that out with 1 minute left than with 7 minutes left. Knowledge is power, and coaches that pull a McCarthy are playing with a weaker hand. To state that you don’t want to go for 2 down by 9 because if you miss it is no longer a two-score game makes no sense, because if you are going to miss the 2-point conversion an 8-point lead is already a two-score game.

Note that how the Packers game unfolded presents a good example of why you want to go for two early. Green Bay kicked off to San Francisco, and eventually stopped the 49ers with just under 4 minutes to go. At that point, the Packers took their time driving down the field, reaching only the 49ers’ 45-yard line with 45 seconds to go. From there, Green Bay’s 4th down play was unsuccessful, but had the drive resulted in a score, there would have likely been only a few seconds remaining in the game. At that point, a missed two point conversion ends the game. Had the Packers gone for two and missed earlier, they would have played with more urgency on their final drive, and at least would have a chance for an onside kick and time to drive into field goal range for the win.

In college football, in overtime, each team gets one possession at the opponent’s 25-yard line. It is obvious that playing defense first is advantageous, and every college team elects to play defense first if they win the overtime coin toss. Knowing whether you need 3 or 7 points to win (or tie) is valuable information. We have exactly the same situation going on here, but the desire to keep hope alive prevents coaches from acting rationally.

http://www.footballperspective.com/trail...ter-touchdowns/

BpG #1174681 10/16/16 08:08 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I think on reflection as we recovered the onside it is easy to question the decision at the time rather than just go for 1. But, we could have kicked the PAT and still not recovered the onside and it still would have been over. It's a gamble either way. It didn't work. That isn't why we lost.

The penalties and the 3rd qtr was atrocious and TN had a long drive that ate up a lot of clock in the 4th. That is where the game was really lost.

BpG #1174683 10/16/16 08:11 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It was a good decision. It didn't work out. It happens.

You can break it down in a variety of ways but the most intuitive way to explain it is that you have to get the two point conversion at least once. It's better to know if you 'get it' ahead of time so you can plan your strategy accordingly.

The biggest counterpoint isn't about "keeping the game alive as long as possible" (that's a consideration for the networks, not so much for game theory/probability to win), it's that the defense is likely to be more fatigued after the second touchdown thereby increasing the chances of a successful conversion. I don't think that's enough to offset the advantage of having the extra information.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
I think on reflection as we recovered the onside it is easy to question the decision at the time rather than just go for 1. But, we could have kicked the PAT and still not recovered the onside and it still would have been over. It's a gamble either way. It didn't work. That isn't why we lost.

The penalties and the 3rd qtr was atrocious and TN had a long drive that ate up a lot of clock in the 4th. That is where the game was really lost.

I don't want us to win ANY games. The decision to go for it makes no sense. My point is the defense changes when they know you need two scores so our TD was MEANINGLESS.

DiamDawg #1174686 10/16/16 08:16 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Overall I'm neutral on him .. He's dome some good things and some bad ... Lets hope it's fun watching this play out ..

I really like Hue and it is obvious that the players do too. Early days, I know but, I also think he is the best coach we have hired since our return. I really feel for him watching today's post-game presser.

But, I do think he sometimes tries to be too clever and out thinks himself. I think they are part of the growing pains with this "reboot" and the battered, injured and inexperienced youthful 53 man roster he now has to work with as well as being relatively inexperienced as a HC himself. Perhaps next year he allows Pep to call the plays?

BpG #1174689 10/16/16 08:23 PM
Legend
Legend
It matters that you convert the 2pt when you attempt it down by 15, not when you attempt it. I don't get the 2nd guessing here. Heck, someone suggested he should be fired over this. So dumb.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
BpG #1174691 10/16/16 08:26 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

I don't want us to win ANY games. The decision to go for it makes no sense. My point is the defense changes when they know you need two scores so our TD was MEANINGLESS.

I'm making an assumption that we're trying to win these games. In that case (down 15 late in the game), it's a little better to attempt the two point conversion after the first of two potential touchdowns.

Whether or not to tank or whatever is another topic.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
It matters that you convert the 2pt when you attempt it down by 15, not when you attempt it. I don't get the 2nd guessing here. Heck, someone suggested he should be fired over this. So dumb.

We lost and the coaching decision is an easy target. It was the right move for a variety of reasons. The article I posted above explains it pretty clearly.

Legend
Legend

This.

#GMSTRONG
cfrs15 #1174724 10/16/16 09:33 PM
Legend
Legend

We lost and the coaching decision is an easy target. It was the right move for a variety of reasons. The article I posted above explains it pretty clearly.

Actually, your post makes better sense than my quick statement. Going for two earlier is more advantageous. Ultimately, it still comes down to converting it whenever you do it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
BpG #1174726 10/16/16 09:37 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
1) Going for 2 there was a fine decision. You need the points, you get the points where you can. That decision was not why we lost.

2) Talk of losing all the games just for a draft pick is ridiculous. You don't teach young players how to win by always losing. This team will need a win, or two, to be ready to compete next season.

FrankZ #1174727 10/16/16 09:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
1) Going for 2 there was a fine decision. You need the points, you get the points where you can. That decision was not why we lost.

2) Talk of losing all the games just for a draft pick is ridiculous. You don't teach young players how to win by always losing. This team will need a win, or two, to be ready to compete next season.
i still dont think well win many next year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1174728 10/16/16 09:41 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R

You believe way too much of what you read (and cite).

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
i still dont think well win many next year

A good draft and some shrewd FA pickups and they might show a good step forward. But I still don't think you teach winning by losing, especially tanking.

Rishuz #1174735 10/16/16 09:57 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

You believe way too much of what you read (and cite).

This is not true.

I post what I believe. I read a lot more.

FrankZ #1174741 10/16/16 10:04 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Agreed 100%.

Everything we have seen so far from Hue and Terrelle will be a waste. You can see it in Hue's post game presser....he is exausted and wants desperately to get that win to show the young players it is worth all the hard work. Terrelle is working his tail off and totally invested. To tank now would be the worst possible thing and disrespect those who are doing everything they can to develop this young team.

But, given the amount of money they are all paid...it would also be incredibly unprofessional and, imo, totally unfair to the fans who pay hard earned money to watch them. I would much rather watch them compete, scrap and play hard and still lose than tank for a potential #1 draft pick that we all know could end up proving to be a franchise player or a bust.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Agreed 100%.

Everything we have seen so far from Hue and Terrelle will be a waste. You can see it in Hue's post game presser....he is exausted and wants desperately to get that win to show the young players it is worth all the hard work. Terrelle is working his tail off and totally invested. To tank now would be the worst possible thing and disrespect those who are doing everything they can to develop this young team.

But, given the amount of money they are all paid...it would also be incredibly unprofessional and, imo, totally unfair to the fans who pay hard earned money to watch them. I would much rather watch them compete, scrap and play hard and still lose than tank for a potential #1 draft pick that we all know could end up proving to be a franchise player or a bust.

We're having a suck for Luck (Indy) type of season with no Luck in the draft. I don't blame Hue and company for the mess they inherited, the rookie mistakes we are making, or lack of wins when I see how hard they are after it. I'd rather watch them lose like this than like they don't care and have quit on the coach.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
FrankZ #1174753 10/16/16 10:53 PM
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Homers gonna homer.

The FO has been in on the tank since day one. We are the 76ers of the NFL.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

BpG #1174756 10/16/16 11:02 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Homers gonna homer.

haters gonna hate...how is the FO been in the tank since day one?

BpG #1174758 10/16/16 11:04 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

Homers gonna homer.

The front office gutted the team. One of the reasons they did that is because one of the easiest ways to build a team is to have the best draft picks.

The players are not in on losing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Titans 28 Going for two

Link Copied to Clipboard