Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I think once we get some o-line help and some real help in our def secondary that we will have a pretty good team and yes I know what our record is but our team is very close to turning a corner I think.

razor...problem is...THIS IS the offensive line our front office built!

This is the depth they kept or added to the Oline..

The Browns front office put a very low priority on the offensive line and these are the Harvard boys results.

The performance of the Browns front office is a product of their own football acumen. Their personnel decisions in free agency and the draft have produced what we see on the field and though the front office has now gained their first 1/2 year of NFL experience, there is nothing to indicate they have learned anything or that they will be any better at picking talent next year.

The front office supplies the talent and then it's the coaches job to attempt to mold the talent they are given, into a winning team.

BTW, the talent level of the Browns defensive secondary...the Browns front office put an equally low priority on the defensive backfield...and it shows.

The front office did draft 4 wrs and a TE in 2016...all together, they have produced 29 catches. As group, the Browns 5 rookies have caught less passes (29) than... Pryor's (41), Duke Johnson's (34) and Barnidge's (33).

A huge reason the Browns are 0-8... front office priorities in free agency and the draft.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
J/C .... I think that our most valuable player thus far has been Pryor.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mac

Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I think once we get some o-line help and some real help in our def secondary that we will have a pretty good team and yes I know what our record is but our team is very close to turning a corner I think.

razor...problem is...THIS IS the offensive line our front office built!

This is the depth they kept or added to the Oline..

The Browns front office put a very low priority on the offensive line and these are the Harvard boys results.

The performance of the Browns front office is a product of their own football acumen. Their personnel decisions in free agency and the draft have produced what we see on the field and though the front office has now gained their first 1/2 year of NFL experience, there is nothing to indicate they have learned anything or that they will be any better at picking talent next year.

The front office supplies the talent and then it's the coaches job to attempt to mold the talent they are given, into a winning team.

BTW, the talent level of the Browns defensive secondary...the Browns front office put an equally low priority on the defensive backfield...and it shows.

The front office did draft 4 wrs and a TE in 2016...all together, they have produced 29 catches. As group, the Browns 5 rookies have caught less passes (29) than... Pryor's (41), Duke Johnson's (34) and Barnidge's (33).

A huge reason the Browns are 0-8... front office priorities in free agency and the draft.

couple of questions Mac.

First. Is it the Fo's fault the O-line was crippled with injuries?
They drafted two O-line men, and brought in a couple more...no priority? sorry don't think that is an accurate statement...more of a personal opinion rather than fact.

a complete rebuild and what? 23 guys on IR. that should factor into it in my opinion.
people were complaining not stop about not drafting WR's so they went an addressed that hands down. the newly drafted WR's are not the starters so of course they don't have the catch numbers those others guys have that you mentioned.

DB's should be addressed this coming offseason and draft.

sorry brother not trying to bash you. you are entitled to feel however you want...just wanted to speak on how I see things currently.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Hue Jackson: Browns considered Dak Prescott before drafting Cody Kessler

Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz are inextricably linked to the Browns

by Ryan Wilson
@ryanwilson_07
16h ago

As has been the case almost every year since the Browns returned to the NFL in 1999, the team headed into the past offseason with huge questions at quarterback.

Ultimately, Cleveland traded out of the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, and in the process passed on the chance to land Carson Wentz. They also said thanks but no thanks to Dak Prescott, who eventually went to Dallas in the fourth round. Instead, the Browns selected Cody Kessler in Round 3.

And while Kessler, who wasn't expected to play this season but was forced into the starting lineup because of injuries, has shown glimpses of potential, as long as Wentz and Prescott play at a high level, they will be inextricably linked to Cleveland and what could have been.

In September, days after Wentz led the Eagles to a convincing season-opening win over the Browns, coach Hue Jackson said the team wasn't second-guessing itself after passing on the North Dakota State star.

"We didn't draft Carson Wentz because we didn't think it was the right fit for our team at this time," Jackson told Mike Florio on PFT Live before the game.

With the Cowboys on the schedule this week, Jackson is answering questions about Prescott, who has been one of the league's best quarterbacks. In fact, through the first two months of the season, Prescott ranks No. 3 in Football Outsiders' QB metric, behind only Matt Ryan and Drew Brees.

"We liked [Prescott in the draft]," Jackson said, via Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "Obviously, he's shown to be really good. He was definitely a guy that was in consideration, but obviously we have the guy that we took and they have the guy that they took. Everybody has the right guy for them, and he fits for them."

That's debatable. Of course, who knows what kind of shape Prescott would be in playing behind Cleveland's offensive line. That unit ranks 23rd in pass protection while the Cowboys' O-line ranks seventh. Either way, Jackson isn't blind to the fact that Prescott has been fantastic.

"Oh my God, he's playing extremely well," Jackson said. "He's a young ascending player, plays with a lot of poise, runs their offense extremely well. ... Obviously, Tony Romo is not playing so they found the right guy for their offense and fits what they do, and he has done it extremely well."

Prescott came into the league with some off-field baggage -- specifically, he had a pre-draft DUI arrest which no doubt played a role in him lasting until the fourth round. Did those concerns care off the Browns, who were still trying to figure out what to do with Johnny Manziel?

"None of that matters right now," Jackson said. "He's at Dallas, and we have the guy that we drafted so I do not want to go beyond that."

Kessler, who missed last week because of a concussion, appears poised to start Sunday against the Cowboys. He has yet to win a game in five starts but is completing 67 percent of his passes with four touchdowns and just one interception.

"Cody did a great job when he was out there," veteran left tackle Joe Thomas said, via Cleveland.com. "He surpassed everyone's expectations. Plus, you have to factor in the realization that he's a rookie and we're 0-8 right now. The chances of us making the playoffs are not the highest so you're trying to assess what we have on the roster for the offseason and we want to find more out about Cody."
link

Legend
Legend
who knows how dak would look here, but I would like to see him on our side haha.

The thing with the Kessler pick was WHEN he was picked ... just seemed SO early. Now, Kessler has done pretty well for himself, but we probably selected him 3-4 rounds too early (as we did with Devalve and Loius)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think maybe a round to early. No way should he last until rd. 6 or rd. 7. He's playing way better than a 3rd rd. now, so just maybe Hue knows whats he's doing.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
couple of questions Mac.

First. Is it the Fo's fault the O-line was crippled with injuries?
They drafted two O-line men, and brought in a couple more...no priority? sorry don't think that is an accurate statement...more of a personal opinion rather than fact.

a complete rebuild and what? 23 guys on IR. that should factor into it in my opinion.
people were complaining not stop about not drafting WR's so they went an addressed that hands down. the newly drafted WR's are not the starters so of course they don't have the catch numbers those others guys have that you mentioned.

DB's should be addressed this coming offseason and draft.

sorry brother not trying to bash you. you are entitled to feel however you want...just wanted to speak on how I see things currently.

101...injuries...yes, the front office must accept responsibility for the depth they added to the offensive line..the backups who would go in to take the place of starters who were playing poorly or injured.

Also, the front office replaced two offensive linemen who had a history of "durability" and answering the bell whether they were hurting or not. If a player cannot go on the field because he's hurt, he no good to the team. The OT the Browns front office kicked to the curb had never missed a start from day he was drafted...4 yrs of continuous service. That quality meant exactly "zero" to the Harvard boys.

The other OLinemen the front office did not retain had started every game (6 yrs) for the Browns from the day he was drafted except for those games he missed due to a broken femur.

Durability is a factor that should be considered when judging football talent.

Yes, this front office put a very low priority on the offensive line, failing to replace the players they kicked to the curb with as good or better talent. Concerning the offensive line, the front office did not make the team better...they made it worse!

Maybe leading the NFL in butchered up QBs might catch the eye of the analytics crew...how come the Browns keep losing their starting QBs?...they need to ask that question then rethink the priority they put on the Browns offensive line.

101...the injuries...

If I were the Browns, I would be taking a look at the conditioning and training program first. It's my understanding that the program was changed to a "RUGBY" type strength and conditioning program.

As I mentioned above, adding players to your team that are not only talented, but "tough" and "durable" must be added to the equation. Then there is a factor that most shy away from...the phantom injuries that seem to pop up when a team is losing..pulls and strains that hurt just too much to take the field. I believe we might some of those type remaining on the team...

You must have players who want to be on the field..players who love to play the game.

101...on the defensive back situation...I think you are agreeing with me, the front office put a very low priority on the dbs and safeties...and it shows

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
ABOUT FREAKING TIME..the media took notice of the boneheaded move the Harvard Boys made concerning Dak Prescott.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not trust this front office's ability to pick a QB in the next draft. They were staring at the two best QBs in draft and by their judgement, they thought Wentz would not be a top 20 QB and they gave Prescott little if any consideration. ...and for those who want to point to Prescott's DUI CHARGE...he was found NOT GUILTY...Prescott does not have a DUI on his record. Our Harvard lawyer running the front office should have researched Prescott's case instead of reading newspaper stories.

...the Harvard analytics crew BLEW IT!...TWICE!

Cowboys' Dak Prescott another example of Browns analytics gone awry

1:39 AM ET
Tony Grossi
ESPN Cleveland

Editor's note: Tony Grossi covers the Cleveland Browns for ESPN 850 WKNR.

Not another one: It’s not accurate to say that Hue Jackson is getting a free pass as coach of the Browns this year.

The man is suffering through a bad season heading to historically bad.

Whatever pressures might be applied by external forces – whether they be inside or outside team headquarters -- they could not exceed the internal strife Jackson must be enduring.

Eight losses in a row. Relentless injuries forcing unexpected lineup changes. A methodical gutting of the roster forcing in rookies at several key positions.

And the repeated reminders of miscalculations at Jackson’s area of expertise – the quarterback position.

Whether or not Jackson has been responsible for every decision regarding his quarterbacks this year, the fact is the quarterback position has personified the Browns’ miserable season.

The Robert Griffin experiment blew up almost instantaneously.

The Carson Wentz trade went belly-up in Game 1.

Josh McCown has played true to form – big numbers, zero wins and more injuries.

The Cody Kessler surprise pick has exceeded expectations -- unless you expected one measly win in his first five starts.

And now comes Big D from Big D -- Dallas Cowboys rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, who was taken 42 picks after Kessler, riding into FirstEnergy Stadium with a 6-1 record in place of chronically injured Jerry Jones-favorite Tony Romo.

So the Browns took Griffin and passed on Wentz, who is 4-3 with a pedestrian Philadelphia Eagles roster, and then compounded their quarterback quandary by selecting Kessler ahead of Prescott, who is bigger and stronger and is 6-1 with about the same team that went 1-11 without Romo last year.

“We have the guy that we took and they have the guy that they took. I think everybody has the right guy for them, and he fits for them,” Jackson said.

How did they miss him?: At Mississippi State, Prescott was an inconsistent thrower, whereas Kessler’s accuracy was cited by Jackson as his greatest attribute.

Off the field, Prescott made the academic honor roll three times and earned a master’s degree. But a DUI arrest in March was a game-changer with an organization punch-drunk from two years of Johnny Manziel histrionics.

The Cowboys’ meticulous background checks, however, concluded that DUI incident was out of character for Prescott.

The Browns weren’t alone, of course, in downgrading Prescott as a quarterback.

“He’s making everyone look bad,” said CBSSports.com draft analyst Dane Brugler.

“I really don’t think we missed on his film, because based on what he put together there was a lot to like. But he just wasn’t a consistent passer from an accuracy standpoint. Then he goes to the Cowboys and it’s amazing how much his ball placement has improved.

“We knew he had the poise, the leadership, the big arm, the size, mobility. He was so productive in a big time conference. But you watch tape against LSU and Alabama last year and he really struggled, throwing 50 percent completions and ball placement making a chore for his receivers to complete passes.”

In truth, the Cowboys wanted Wentz and then Connor Cook of Michigan State ahead of Prescott. Like the Cowboys, Brugler projected Prescott in the fourth round, grading him “a solid backup capable of spot starts.”

“[Now] he looks like a legitimate NFL starting quarterback,” Brugler said. “If there was a re-draft tomorrow, there’s a strong conversation about who’s the first quarterback drafted – Carson Wentz or Dak Prescott.”

And, of course, the Browns could have had either – or both.

Fix the problem: When Browns owner Jimmy Haslam blew up his last football regime and radically reshaped his organization based entirely on deep analytics, he talked of the wondrous “systems” and “processes” that men such as Sashi Brown, Paul DePodesta and Ken Kovash – a former Cowboys analytics geek-turned-Browns player personnel vice president -- brought to the effort.

All three were educated at Harvard University – but none had a pigskin diploma. Jackson was the only one truly possessing football and quarterback expertise.

Yet this “collaborative effort” was expected – no, counted on – to fix the eternal quarterback problem that has vexed the Browns through numerous regimes since 1999.

The common reaction among the Browns’ faithful is that neither Wentz nor Prescott would be this good playing behind the Browns’ porous offensive line. That either, if not both, probably would be ambulatory by now, no more a winner than Kessler.

“He is playing with a tremendous supporting cast,” Jackson said, “arguably one of the best offensive lines in all of pro football, one of the best receivers in all of pro football and one of the best tight ends in all of pro football. I am not saying that is just what it is. It is a combination of all of those things that have made him execute at a high level. He is getting great coaching. Obviously, they have created the right environment for him so I think when you factor all those things in, you have a chance to have success.

“I think that is what he is doing. He is taking advantage of the opportunity.”

That’s fair. But if the Browns’ hierarchy is buying into that, then we are in for many more years of losing.

The “systems” and “processes” that produced this current Browns quarterback situation over Wentz and/or Prescott are terribly out of whack.

Fixing them has to be the organization’s immediate No. 1 priority.
link

Last edited by mac; 11/04/16 08:11 AM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
I think maybe a round to early. No way should he last until rd. 6 or rd. 7. He's playing way better than a 3rd rd. now, so just maybe Hue knows whats he's doing.
I meant at the time he was drafted nobody was going to touch him for 3-4 rounds. The value wasn't there. However, yes, right now in retrospect he would be had for a 3/4 rounder.

Heck, in retrospect, Dak woulda been taken #1 overall

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think that is what he is doing. He is taking advantage of the opportunity.”

That’s fair. But if the Browns’ hierarchy is buying into that, then we are in for many more years of losing.

The “systems” and “processes” that produced this current Browns quarterback situation over Wentz and/or Prescott are terribly out of whack.

I don't believe this. Every Team including ours passed on Dak several times. I can't can't blame them with Johnny M going off the deep end and partying like crazy. The last thing we would want is another QB who just got caught drinking. Yeah that would have been real smart. So no, I don't fault the Browns for passing on him. As far as Wentz goes, there was somethings about him that looked like he might need a yr. or two, still could be that way. It looks like he's coming back to earth. Dak could also come crashing down. Let the FO do their job and lets see how the next couple of years pans out.

#GMSTRONG

D
Legend
Legend
D
OMG ..... a FO missed on a QB PICK ...

That never happens ... rolleyes

Mac - I do not think this FO has a shot to suceed ... ZERO ...

But WTF man .. your a black eye to those of us that don't want to make a MOUNTAIN out of every MOLEHILL ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think that is what he is doing. He is taking advantage of the opportunity.”

I don't believe this. Every Team including ours passed on Dak several times. I can't can't blame them with Johnny M going off the deep end and partying like crazy. The last thing we would want is another QB who just got caught drinking. Yeah that would have been real smart. So no, I don't fault the Browns for passing on him. As far as Wentz goes, there was somethings about him that looked like he might need a yr. or two, still could be that way. It looks like he's coming back to earth. Dak could also come crashing down. Let the FO do their job and lets see how the next couple of years pans out.

And before i finish my post .. the other BS side comes up ...

JM had RED FLAGS all over the place .. ALL OVER THE PLACE ...

His entire college career OFF THE FIELD was a RED FLAG ... everything he did PRE-DRAFT was a RED FLAG ...

Someone in our org. IGNORED all the RED FLAGS OFF the field .. see our THIEVING OWNER!!

On the field .. he just didn't have the SKILL SET to translate to the NFL ..

Him and DAK had pretty much NOTHING IN COMMON ... NOTHING ...

Dak's BIGGER, STRONGER and has a MUCH MUCH BETTER ARM ...

Just like Mac is full of crap .. SO IS THIS!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
The trouble with grades like this is: They give an F overall even though the lowest grade on there is a D- , does not seem to take into account the B's or C's. Okay so we get an F for not winning a game, but do you just throw away everything else?

From what I have seen this season ... the F feels like a gift.

Only at times... Not in the first half of the Jets game. If we played like that all the time, we'd be considered a B or C I bet. Our problem isn't that we can't play, it's that we can't play consistently good...

Last edited by Damanshot; 11/04/16 08:35 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
So, going forward, it seems Horton is getting some well deserved attention for the bonehead way we seem to be losing in second half. Think it is overdue to visit the way he seems to repeat ineffective defense; I grant talent level as an issue. But the philosophy is suspect and little has been corrected or made to improve.

Not are all this is Harvard boys caused. But are they essentially beyond any evaluation or correction. Will analytics assess itself or sort out some of the misses we are seeing?
Because it can't be fixable at this point. I had hope that some swell coaching might help our cause more than it seems. We are greener than I care to be; not sure how this new FO framework will grade itself, but the metric should not give them a pass for all these issues without a hard look and deserved scrutiny. JMO

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Don't know what your going on about, I did not say Johnny and Dak had the same traits. I said I understood why the FO steered away from Dak. Doesn't really matter as far as what they thought about Dak as a QB. The fact that he got caught drinking and driving was reason enough. If you don't want to believe that then I don't know what to tell you.

#GMSTRONG

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
But WTF man .. your a black eye to those of us that don't want to make a MOUNTAIN out of every MOLEHILL ...

diam...the lack of football judgement ingrained in this front office is NO FREAKING MOLEHILL!

I swear, Grossi has been reading my posts because he is pointing out exactly the issues I have brought up...well, Grossi, I brought these issue up long before you did..but I do thank you for finally pointing out just how lost the Harvard boys were when it comes to judging talent.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Don't know what your going on about, I did not say Johnny and Dak had the same traits. I said I understood why the FO steered away from Dak. Doesn't really matter as far as what they thought about Dak as a QB. The fact that he got caught drinking and driving was reason enough. If you don't want to believe that then I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't say u were WRONG ... i said it was BS ... cause it was ...

If this FO is only going to bring in CHOIR BOYS based off our past FO (OUR THIEVING OWNER) IGNORING major red flags on a bunch of levels .. WERE DOOMED ...

Based off the rest of the draft and the fact we brought in almost exclusively smart, hard working not very atheletic guys ... I'd say your DEAD NUTS ON in your reasoning ..

I'm one of the few that said I thought Cody was a decent pick ... i could see the pick ... one of the main reasons i said that is he's a SMART QB that works hard ...

I'm fine with getting a VERY GOOD BACK UP in the 3rd round .. obviously u need a VERY GOOD BACK UP in the NFL ..

Thats a good question .. i wonder how many back ups have played/started this year .. lets see ...

2 - 4 in our division have had back ups (multiple in our case .. *L*) start games ...
2 - 4 in the AFC east .. Garrapola got hurt and Fitz got benched and got his job back due to Geno going down ..
2 - 4 in AFC west ...Lynch started a game in denver and Smith missed 1/2 of last weeks game due to injury ..
0 - 4 in AFC south ..

Don't feel like going through the NFC .. were half way through the year and 6 of 16 AFC teams have had to use there back ups ...

Then if u want ad in the fact we've started 3 guys and played 5 ... the number gets even larger ...

BACK UPS ARE HUGE in today's NFL ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
diam...the lack of football judgement ingrained in this front office is NO FREAKING MOLEHILL!

Mac, what are your thoughts about Corey Coleman, Carl Nassib, Emmanuel Ogbah, trading a punter for a 4th rounder, having two #1s, two #2, two #3 in 2017?

The judgement in those cases doesn't seem poor at all. In fact, considering it's clear that this FO is going to build through the draft (although not exclusively considering the Jamie Collins deal) seeing progress from early picks in their first year has been very encouraging. Why don't you ever point out these things and focus on WRs drafted in later rounds and Dak? There is more to it than that.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I said I understood why the FO steered away from Dak.

Bleed, what does that mean?..what was wrong with Dak on or off the field?

Looking at his record, I see nothing in his record that would make me not draft the guy.

Did you read this from the story above?...

Quote:
Off the field, Prescott made the academic honor roll three times and earned a master’s degree. But a DUI arrest in March was a game-changer with an organization punch-drunk from two years of Johnny Manziel histrionics.

The Cowboys’ meticulous background checks, however, concluded that DUI incident was out of character for Prescott.

Did you catch the part about the Cowboys meticulous background checks?

The Browns Harvard educated lawyer, in charge of the 53, could not pick up the phone and call Prescott's lawyer to find out the facts to the case.

ALL of the Harvard boys failed to do their homework on Prescott...they sterio-typed Prescott as being another Johnny Manziel...and had they just checked, they would have known that he was nothing like Manziel.

During Prescott's pro day, the night before, the Browns were one of 3 teams to arrange some time alone with Prescott and what did the Browns use their time for?...

Quote:
First, it was the Browns with a battery of psychological tests on Wednesday, the day before pro day, that assessed Prescott's capacity and methods of learning. Five tests, timed at seven minutes each, with no such thing as a wrong answer. The Browns took the results back to Cleveland without grading immediately. link

BTW, Prescott received his undergraduate degree in psychology in Dec 2014 and a masters degree in Dec 2015.

...and all the Browns did was with the time they had with Prescott was give him psch tests...then you wonder why the team 0-8?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry, but I think Dak is a mute point. I don't recall anyone pimping him, not one. It was all about Wentz, Goff, Lynch.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Lots of good football takes going down in this thread. I would love to throw in my own views and opinions as well, hopefully some food for thought.

The first thing I want to touch on is that the "this is their first year" holds no weight. If this were a normal first year with one offseason and one years draft picks then that would be a legitimate arguement. The thing is, just like it was for Holmgren and Heckert, this FO attempted to speed up the process with the draft and have two full years worth of draft picks to account for. They, IMO should be judged based off that metric and that this is a compressed 2 years worth of "rebuild."

To fairly judge that we have to take a look at what they inherited verses how the team currently stacks up. The team they took over of course was a season removed from 7-9 with average QB play and fell off the previous year mainly do to the Johnny Football distractions. Not good, not terrible but with some definite potential to build off of and create wins and a turn around. In fact, lets do a side by side comparison.

What they inherited-

Strengths-
LT
C
RT
WR2
Slot WR
CB1
FS
NT
K

Solid, not a liability-
LG
RB
OLB2
ILB1
DE1
SS

Immediate needs-
QB
#1 WR
RG
CB2
OLB1
DE1

The Browns that the Harvard Lawyers inherited had a coaching problem and a problem with having those elite pieces needed to take those steps. In truth, the Browns situation was pretty average for most teams that have a coaching change. A far cry from bare cupboards in need of a rebuild. The question is, with the equivalent of year two of a rebuild are they any better? Do they have those pieces they needed? Lets look...

Strengths-
LT(Inherited)
WR2(Inherited)
OLB1

Not a liability-
RT
OLB2
NT(Inherited)
DE2
CB1(Inherited)
RB(Inherited)
K

Liabilities-
QB
LG
C
RG
#1 WR
Slot WR
ILB1
ILB2
SS
FS
CB2
DE1

So to break that down a bit more... The roster they inherited lacked elite playmakers. It had some solid veterans and many strengths, it just did not yet have those finish pieces needed to take that next step. Nothing a solid offseason followed by the draft and some trades couldn't easily fix.

The roster they are closing out on is worse than when they arrived. Thanks to not knowing how NFL free agency works they let most of the cornerstone players walk, they didn't sign ANY upgrades or replacements and out of two years worth of draft volume they upgraded zero positions and had a wash on two positions. Out of 14 draft picks. Two years worth of draft volume. They traded away drafting the most important position in football, franchise QB, because the baseball guys computer program ran some numbers and said the franchise QB available to them wasn't worth drafting. Boy did the computer ever get that one wrong!

So the big issue is the team is 0-8 careening towards 0-16, has LESS talent than it had at this time last year and out of 14 draft picks produced zero marquee players, two solid but not great foundational players and 12 mediocre to scrubs level players. Free agency produced zilch because the Lawyer and baseball guy had no idea how to work FA and the best players they have they either inherited or had to trade draft picks to the Patriots for.

It doesn't look good for the Browns at all. They are getting worse, not better and if you keep theae guys around by this time next year they will have had the equivalent of FOUR YEARS worth of draft volume plus two full offseasons. Does anyone really believe the Browns, starting at 1-15 this year if they are lucky win more than 3-4 games next year?

The answer is no, not with this front office. Mac may not want to say it but I will, DePodesta and Sashi need to be fired. They are making the Browns worse and digging us into a Detroit Lions level hole. Bring in an actual GM and let he and Hue pick players together or hire an actual football person to do the hiring and let HIM build the F.O. and coaching staff.

Enough of this Randy Lerner and Jimmy Haslam stupidity of buying lists of "great candidates" from consulting firms and hiring whatever names at the top, it hasn't ever worked. Go learn what the winning teams do, or what Art Modell used to do that caused him to hit on Rutigliano, Schotty and Belichek. It sure as heck wasn't from hiring baseball picks and hiring based off of a consultants list!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I said I understood why the FO steered away from Dak.

Bleed, what does that mean?..what was wrong with Dak on or off the field?

Looking at his record, I see nothing in his record that would make me not draft the guy.

Did you read this from the story above?...

Quote:

Did you catch the part about the Cowboys meticulous background checks?

The Browns Harvard educated lawyer, in charge of the 53, could not pick up the phone and call Prescott's lawyer to find out the facts to the case.

ALL of the Harvard boys failed to do their homework on Prescott...they sterio-typed Prescott as being another Johnny Manziel...and had they just checked, they would have known that he was nothing like Manziel.

During Prescott's pro day, the night before, the Browns were one of 3 teams to arrange some time alone with Prescott and what did the Browns use their time for?...

Quote:
First, it was the Browns with a battery of psychological tests on Wednesday, the day before pro day, that assessed Prescott's capacity and methods of learning. Five tests, timed at seven minutes each, with no such thing as a wrong answer. The Browns took the results back to Cleveland without grading immediately. link

BTW, Prescott received his undergraduate degree in psychology in Dec 2014 and a masters degree in Dec 2015.

...and all the Browns did was with the time they had with Prescott was give him psch tests...then you wonder why the team 0-8?

The Cowboys liked Dak so much that they waited till the fourth round and had Connor Cook rated higher.

I'm not following your argument.

Lots of teams missed on Dak multiple times. The DUI may have been an aberration, but it still showed poor judgment as far as the timing of it. He should have known he was under the microscope.

He also showed spotty accuracy in college which hasn't shown up yet in the pros. If he keeps it up, good for him. People do get better after finishing their college careers. Some revert after showing flashes.

Being in the right place at the right time also helps.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Sorry, but I think Dak is a mute point. I don't recall anyone pimping him, not one. It was all about Wentz, Goff, Lynch.

101...you have the right to be wrong!

Below is exactly what I said in January and February of this year. Now understand this, I'm no draft guru and rarely do I ever get involved with the many threads about which player the Browns should take where.

This year, I decided to do a little homework on the QBs knowing (I thought) that the Browns would take advantage of the opportunity to pick a QB high in the draft (I thought).

So I took the time to do some research on the top QBs, looking at the video available. I was not interested in the highlights of each QB but would try to find their games against tough competition.

I took the time to look up each QBs academic background as well as any family information I could find.

Now I didn't go into detail about what I liked or did not like, I either liked what I saw or I didn't. I did give my thoughts on which QBs impressed me.

Keep in mind, I'm nothing but a "pure amateur" at this and I did not have the advantage of stacks of psychological testing or anything of that sort...below is what I concluded in Jan and Feb of this year.

BTW, I did not realize Wentz played in a dome

Quote:
Re: Carson Wentz [Re: bonefish] #1065337 - 01/13/16 09:32 AM
mac Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: OHIO bone...I took the time to watch some video on Wentz earlier and again this morning.

He does remind me a bit of Rothlisberger when he was at Miami. Wentz looks like a better runner but his processing and release appear to be a bit slower than Ben's.

I like Wentz's size...I believe size is a quality that should be a consideration when drafting a QB.

I like the fact that Wentz played his ball in a similar enviroment/climate (to Cleveland).

I would expect him to move up draft boards.

Quote:

Re: Carson Wentz [Re: bonefish] #1079815 - 02/17/16 04:11 PM
mac Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: OHIO

Bone...I saw Wentz as a possibility for the Browns early in this discussion. I think Wentz is a good fit for the Browns. Here is what I said about Wentz back on Jan 13.

Quote:
bone...I took the time to watch some video on Wentz earlier and again this morning.

He does remind me a bit of Rothlisberger when he was at Miami. Wentz looks like a better runner but his processing and release appear to be a bit slower than Ben's.

I like Wentz's size...I believe size is a quality that should be a consideration when drafting a QB.

I like the fact that Wentz played his ball in a similar enviroment/climate (to Cleveland).

I would expect him to move up draft boards.

I also believe that Dak Prescott should be considered as having Russell Wilson type skills and should not be overlooked.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Boy how brave people get AFTER THE FACT...there was one guy on this board who was pimping DAK...don't remember who but remember it was ONE. As for the DUI...don't know about his results I don't think come draft day they were in for us to know if he would come into the league with a black mark for the substance abuse protocol. We just went through a Drunk at QB...I can easily guess how that did effect some how.

Hue seems to love our pick in Kessler. I think he looks better than I possibly could imagine and his ATTRIBUTES are one that will get better with experience. I see possible Drew Brees growth in him. He actually is ahead of Drew from his rookie season. Yes, I wanted Wentz as in FOR SURE...but I cannot deny Kessler has impressed me.

jmho now if he can physically finish a game (get rid of that ball Early!!)

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Nice post...I'll breakdown my response, due to it's length, in portions:

Quote:
this FO attempted to speed up the process with the draft and have two full years worth of draft picks to account for. They, IMO should be judged based off that metric and that this is a compressed 2 years worth of "rebuild."

Sorry, but his doesn't make any sense to me. They accumulated draft picks because the more picks you have, the better % you have of finding guys that will fit. Most of those picks were later round selections so I don't know how this was an attempt to "speed up the rebuild". If anything that argument holds more water for next year when the Browns have 6 picks in the first three rounds...but then again THAT isn't speeding anything up because they didn't do it right off the bat in 2016. You don't compress 2 years of a rebuild with nine picks in the fourth round or later....you just don't. What you may do is find guys that fit, perhaps as starters but most likely as depth.

Quote:
Strengths-
LT
C
RT
WR2
Slot WR
CB1
FS
NT
K

Agree with most of this....I'd remove K, Slot WR, and WR2 (if you mean Hartline) but add LG (Bitonio when he was healthy) .

Quote:
In truth, the Browns situation was pretty average for most teams that have a coaching change. A far cry from bare cupboards in need of a rebuild. The question is, with the equivalent of year two of a rebuild are they any better? Do they have those pieces they needed? Lets look...

I think there was a huge issue with the coaching staff and the FO on several levels. I think we paid veterans too much money that weren't earning it (Kruger, Whitner, Bowe specifically) which is why they are not here. We had a disgruntled FS that didn't like how he was treated and allegedly wanted out, Alex Mack, allegedly, was gone no matter what, we had a team president that wanted more of a role with personnel, etc.... I don't think the Browns situation was average by any means. There are so many reasons why the Browns hit the "reset" button and I think it was across the entire organization, not just personnel. I blame that culture, or lack of trying to create one, on Jimmy Haslem.

Quote:
Nothing a solid offseason followed by the draft and some trades couldn't easily fix.

Disagree and don't understand the justification for saying this. Signing FA has never proven to change anything with this team (again, see Whitner/Kruger/Bowe & Des Bryant to a lesser extent) and I wouldn't rely on drafted players to immediately make a drastic impact in terms of wins, although it has happened (QBs). The team was bad because of several factors..... but mainly poor allocation of money to FA and early picks not providing the ROI. Easy fix? No way, now how....for anyone.

Quote:
So the big issue is the team is 0-8 careening towards 0-16, has LESS talent than it had at this time last year and out of 14 draft picks produced zero marquee players, two solid but not great foundational players and 12 mediocre to scrubs level players. Free agency produced zilch because the Lawyer and baseball guy had no idea how to work FA and the best players they have they either inherited or had to trade draft picks to the Patriots for.

And this is where your bias begins to set in...."a lawyer and a baseball guy" comment and I believe this is normally said by posters when they don't understand what they are trying to do-- but I wish people would just say that..."I don't understand their plan". To me, I think it's quite evident what their plan is but it will rely heavily on nailing draft picks, but that's synonymous with any FO unless your Miami. Look, I don't know how this FO is going to work out, but I'm liking some of the early result from our early picks. Yes this team has less talent, they essentially gutted the entire roster and started over. The youth on this team is mind-boggling. Free agency also produces zilch for other teams too, like the Steelers, yet they seem to do well annually....do you know why? I don't know if the FO "knows how to work FA" (and I'm not really sure what even means)...but my guess is they saw no point utilizing it in any significant way since they committed to rebuilding through the draft.....that makes sense to me. Now, they just need to hit on their picks, particularly the early ones over the next few years. That builds the foundation and allows (or justifies) increased spending in FA if you only need a few more pieces. This team clearly needs a whole bunch more. Why waste big money on a FA when your team is going to be bad early on after gutting it for the reasons above?....that makes no sense.

Quote:
Bring in an actual GM and let he and Hue pick players together or hire an actual football person to do the hiring and let HIM build the F.O. and coaching staff.

Have you seen our track record with GMs so far picking players or allowing coaches to get people they want? It's been HORRIBLE, except for Heckert.

Mangini picking players? NO
Joe Banner picking players? NO
Butch Davis picking players? NO
Hue wanting Kessler? Undetermined.

I'm not saying this FO is the answer because we now have a lawyer and a baseball guy instead of a GM (and I like a traditional GM/scout system for the record that goes as far as removing the coach's influence), but that justification, again, doesn't warrant firing people nine games into the season. Especially when it was quite evident we were going to a tear down/rebuild.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

It doesn't look good for the Browns at all. They are getting worse, not better and if you keep theae guys around by this time next year they will have had the equivalent of FOUR YEARS worth of draft volume plus two full offseasons. Does anyone really believe the Browns, starting at 1-15 this year if they are lucky win more than 3-4 games next year?

The answer is no, not with this front office. Mac may not want to say it but I will, DePodesta and Sashi need to be fired. They are making the Browns worse and digging us into a Detroit Lions level hole. Bring in an actual GM and let he and Hue pick players together or hire an actual football person to do the hiring and let HIM build the F.O. and coaching staff.

king...good post..you obviously took the time to study the roster and gage the individual performances so far.

I do agree with much of what you posted and I'm very concerned that this front office is so far over their head, lacking in football knowledge that they are literally "destroying the franchise".

While I have not called for them to be fired, I have said repeatedly that they need help...that the front office lacks that individual who has the type of football experience they can rely on to help make the best choices for the franchise.

I found an example of a franchise that is similar to the Browns present setup.

The Eagles franchise:
The owner...Jeff Lurie
President...Don Smolenski
Executive Vice President of Football Operations – Howie Roseman
...note: both Smolenski and Roseman worked their way through the ranks via the administrative side of the Eagles.

Now look at who the Eagles hired to supplement their two top guys who came from the administrative side of the Eagles..

Senior Football Advisor – Tom Donahoe
...Donahoe spent 9 seasons as the Steelers GM with the team making the playoff 6 yrs and the Super Bowl 1 year.
He then spent 5 more years as the GM of the Bills.

Donahoe was then named a Senior Advisor of the Eagles in 2012 and then named Senior Director of Player Personnel at the end of last season.

The top two individuals who come from the administrative side of the Eagles have an experienced individual who has a long history with football experience holding the #3 spot in the front office.

If Haslam is determined to keep his Harvard boys, at least give them someone like a Tom Donahoe to lean on when they need advise.

...that is all I'm suggesting.

Last edited by mac; 11/04/16 01:23 PM.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Boy how brave people get AFTER THE FACT.

eo...you talking to me?

If you are, take a look at the dates I posted then talk to me about after the fact!

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
The Cowboys liked Dak so much that they waited till the fourth round and had Connor Cook rated higher.

However you want to slice it, the Cowboys got the steal of the draft while the Browns took Kessler in the 3rd, passing over Connor Cook and Prescott. BTW, Kessler was rated as 5 to 7th round talent..the boys might have reached a round or two..just sayn.

Quote:
He should have known he was under the microscope.

He was stopped for going 45 in a 30 mph zone by a cop who was not certified yet to use a radar gun. Prescott is guilty of nothing...not a thing. BTW, the judge thru out the speeding charge too.

...he also passed all of the field sobriety tests and they could not get a reading from their 2 breathalyzer tests. One check into Prescott's background, staying in school 5 yrs getting his degree and then a masters...that might have helped if the Harvard boys had checked on that.

All it took was for the Browns front office to use some of that lawyer education and do some checking into Prescott's circumstances of how he ended up being charged with DUI...two black men driving a white Caddy through a Mississippi hick town at 1:30 am....it does happen!

Quote:
He also showed spotty accuracy in college which hasn't shown up yet in the pros. If he keeps it up, good for him. People do get better after finishing their college careers. Some revert after showing flashes.

Spotty accuracy?

Completion percentage: 66.8
QB rating: 151.7

Completion percentage: 66.2
QB rating: 151.0

I guess this means that Kessler has spotty accuracy too! Guess which numbers belong to Kessler, not that it matters much?

BTW, one QB was named 2016 Senior Bowl Most Outstanding Player..the other QB was a bit spotty in the Senior Bowl, 4 for 10 passing for 45 yds, the 3rd best performance for his team.

The other QB had 13 yards rushing, 61 yards and one touchdown passing, on 7-of-10 performance...spotty huh? grin

Last edited by mac; 11/04/16 03:16 PM.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
mac,

There was NO WAY the Browns were taking a QB who was recently arrested for DUI on the heals of the JFF debacle.

It's not hard to understand.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
mac,

There was NO WAY the Browns were taking a QB who was recently arrested for DUI on the heals of the JFF debacle.

It's not hard to understand.

willie...that is the type of excuse a lazy Harvard educated front office might use in an effort to cover their ass.

...I thought we had stand up guys running the front office. All they had to do was check into Prescott's situation to know that he had a very good chance of winning his case.

I think Depo and Sashi got lazy and decided to stereo type Prescott just like the other 30 teams did...two black guys driving a Caddy through a Mississippi hick town at 1:30 am..they have to guilty of something, right?

I wonder how far Prescott would have fallen had the Cowboys not made the steal of the draft. I wonder where the Harvard guys had him slotted on our board?

...everyone but Dallas was 100% wrong about Prescott.

It seems that some things never change in the NFL..wonder why that is?

There is no acceptable excuse for the Browns front office to miss on the two best QBs in the 2016 draft. When will the fans finally get it...this front office did not know QB talent when it was staring them in face.

Now I'm hoping that Kessler grows some more and gets stronger so he can endure the punishment a QB is subjected to at the NFL level. If he can do that he might make Browns fans forget about Prescott.

...if Kessler could lead the team to a few wins this year, that would help too..lord knows he has the weapons to help...wrs, te, rb...he has the weapons to succeed.

Legend
Legend
If Dak was so great why did Dallas wait till the 4th round?

Why did they try to trade for Lynch?

Why did they try to trade for Cook?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
guy...you can make excuses...or you can be honest..the Browns, with all their Big Brains running the front office, misjudged the two best QBs in the draft.

The Browns could of had Wentz or Prescott..OR BOTH!..had analytics boys known what they were looking at in QB talent.

This is from an article I just posted on the "Can We Win" thread...

...Gil Brandt ✔@Gil_Brandt

Browns passed on Dak Prescott 8x in draft. Last time they had QB with passer rating as high as Prescott’s 99.6 was Milt Plum in 1960 (110.4)

4:44 PM - 2 Nov 2016

Last edited by mac; 11/04/16 05:02 PM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
So what? A lot of teams passed on Dak. Does that make them all stupid, too?
Wentz isn't a slam-dunk HoF QB either.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M

I wonder how far Prescott would have fallen had the Cowboys not made the steal of the draft. I wonder where the Harvard guys had him slotted on our board?

[/color]

Saying that the Cowboys took the second best (or best) QB in the draft in the 4th and they are geniuses for doing so - and that we don't know how far Dak would have fallen without the Cowboys selecting him there seems to be an argument AGAINST how smart the Cowboys were.

[1] If Dak was/is that good the Cowboys were incredibly foolish for letting him drop so far when he could have been taken by any team before then.

[2] Saying that there is no way to know how far he would have fallen but for the Cowboys seems to indicate that 31 out of 32 teams (96.875%) of all the teams and FO's in the NFL had at least a similar assessment of Dak as the Browns, so singling out the 'Harvard Boys' for singular ridicule for being in with the 96% seems unjustified.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
J/C ....

We are talking about a guy who was passed over by other teams, many of whom desperately needed either a starter or a high end backup, a total of 134 times in the draft. 134 times.

This wasn't some slam dunk pick that every team was fighting over.

Further, the Cowboys have one of the best OL in the league .... they have Jason Whiten at TE, Dez Bryant at WR, and Zeke Elliot at RB.

The Cowboys are doing what Hue wanted to do. They are 1st in rushing, 7th in scoring, and are 20th in passing. They run the ball whenever they want, and that helps Prescott so much. He has thrown 9 TD, and 5 of those have come in the last 2 games. He has been sacked only 11 times in 11 games. Our QBs, combined, have been sacked 22 times. Prescott has had time to develop on the field, as the team was winning around him.

The Dallas defense has also been a great deal better than the Cleveland defense. The Cowboys have given up 14 TD so far this year, and are 4th in the NFL in scoring defense at 18.6 points per game allowed. The Browns have allowed a staggering 29 TD, and are allowing 29.8 points per game.

How much better would we look on offense if we were allowing 11 fewer points per game? How many more game would we have won if we had given up 11 fewer points in each of our games?

We are looking at a, QB in Prescott, who was inserted into a complete team, and some are deciding that he would look the same on the Browns who went full, total rebuild.

It's like Wentz. When he had great protection, he looked like a superstar. Once his LT was suspended, his production fell through the floor. Compare his 1st 3 games with his last 4 without Johnson. He had a decent game against the Lions without the RT, but the rest have been pretty poor.

Let's look at the whole situation when trying to evaluate what other players, especially QBs, would look like here, as the team is currently constructed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
guy...you can make excuses...or you can be honest..the Browns, with all their Big Brains running the front office, misjudged the two best QBs in the draft.

The Browns could of had Wentz or Prescott..OR BOTH!..had analytics boys known what they were looking at in QB talent.

This is from an article I just posted on the "Can We Win" thread...

...Gil Brandt ✔@Gil_Brandt

Browns passed on Dak Prescott 8x in draft. Last time they had QB with passer rating as high as Prescott’s 99.6 was Milt Plum in 1960 (110.4)

4:44 PM - 2 Nov 2016

we also had Bernie Kosar and Brain Sipe...but I said no one pimped Dak...not one...and you proved me wrong in that you liked him...not exactly pimping the kid but he did get a mention from you...so I was wrong on that front sorry Mac...I just don't remember anyone pimping Dak...kudos my brother

Legend
Legend
Hey I wanted Dak too!

In the third!

I just new, as a buisness, they wouldnt take him after he had the DUI, with Gordon still here, and Manziel just gone..

It wasn't ganna happen.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
You make very good points and I am not agreeing w/mac, but I want to look at the bottom line.

The eye test told me that Dak was a better qb prospect than Kessler before the draft. The eye test also tells me that Dak is still the better qb.

Legend
Legend
If we had due diligence, we decided against them. I have yet to see the upside in Kessler, and I think the analytics painted us into a corner so now we have to see what we have (or lack) yet again. In Kessler, I believe we have found our backup at best. The RG thinking is a crash IMO. Better take a hard look at this process, of which analytics is a mysterious part. It is a valuable tool, but how it is used is crucial. We seem to be driving nails with the blade of a screwdriver: Can be done, but horrible execution. Learn from all of this season, including the FO processes.

Not surprised by Grossi visiting Neverland again and blaming Browns for the past. That avoids doing worthwhile work in the present, but, hey, not his style we have come to expect.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Front Office..continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard