Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Want to talk about Kessler's game vs the Cowboys game in specifics (individual plays) rather then broad stokes/generalizations.

I'll start off with some overall numbers merely as a frame of reference. Hopefully the meat of this thread will the breakdown and discussion of particular plays.

QB grade: Cody Kessler, 75.0

Kessler gets no help from receivers

There’s enough about Kessler to warrant his starting, and the Browns’ woes against Dallas should not be put at his door. He does have a tendency to hold onto the ball too long and abandon clean pockets, but what are you supposed to do when your receivers aren’t getting open? Arm strength isn’t everything, but five incomplete passes on balls thrown 20 yards in the air won’t get it done.

Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
C. Kessler 19/27 203 1

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll start w/one play. I think it was in the second half. Browns are driving and Coleman runs a fade towards the left corner of the end zone. He gets a little separation, but Kessler holds the ball too long and throws it late which takes Coleman out of the back of the end zone and gave the corner time to catch up due to the height on the ball.

That is an example of a play that I see far too often while watching Kessler.

Legend
Legend
agreed vers... cody has a knack for having little arc on deep balls. it gives the WR virtually no chance to make a play. Gotta let Pryor and Coleman get a chance

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
can't throw the deep ball, can't throw mid to long seams, can't throw the fade and can't throw the outs...arm strength isn't everything, provided you can make all the throws, then any additional velocity just allows you to be later, allow things to develop later or make tighter windows. Kessler just doesn't have an NFL arm and he's slow in decision making and he has horrible footwork..but he shouldn't even be playing this year..so it is what it is. A patchwork line, receivers that can't separate and the refusal of the playcaller to give him run support

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Plays that stuck out to me from the 1st QTR:

1st series in the RZ
2nd down, RZ, 13:10 2nd and 8 from the 15

Shotgun Hawkins in the backfield on Kessler's left
Pryor is on a tight split to the left
Barnidge is inline on the left

Cover-1 S shade right

Cody takes his drop and is reading the left side of the field.

Hawkins runs into the flat and gets open quickly the coverage is off because of Pryor and Barnidge's routes rub the defenders back

Cody doesn't target Hawkins in the flat

At this moment Joe Thomas gives up the edge a little and the defender flashes color

Pryor is open on a hitch/short curl at this time
Cody doesn't target Pryor

Edge defenders comes around and Kessler slide/steps up while pump-faking

Barnindge wins late on the corner/flag route

But Kessler has begun to scramble at this point and sails the ball out of bounds as he steps through the pressure

1st series in the RZ
2nd down, RZ, 12:55 3rd and 8 from the 15

Shotgun trips left Pryor, Hawk and Barnindge on LOS
Duke in the backfield to his right
Coleman iso right

Cowboys try to disguise Cover 2 but are playing cover-1 single deep man

Can't know what side Cody is supposed to read based on the defensive look (probably the left), but its unfortunate that he didn't read the right side with Coleman because Corey wins quickly on a fade/go route

No one on the right side is open when Cody gets to his drop back depth, he has Johnson in the TE hook zone on the right but doesn't pull the trigger
Begins to scramble

Cody does a good job to scramble around and keep the play alive, makes a good decision to spot Hawkins or to chuck low into the corner of the endzone a QB with a more live arm could probably connect with Hawkins here, but its a good adlib play just not enough gas on the throw

Last edited by edromeo; 11/07/16 09:24 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He's also a rookie and not a done deal. He's also playing with other rookies and should get better down the road. Any other rookie's you want to blast? How about a little support for your Team? You throw all of your family under the bus everytime things don't go like you think they should?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
He's also a rookie and not a done deal. He's also playing with other rookies and should get better down the road. Any other rookie's you want to blast? How about a little support for your Team? You throw all of your family under the bus everytime things don't go like you think they should?

Either U have no clue whats going on with his family or u have ZERO CLASS and NO HEART or your just a straight up douche ....

U want to rip his football ... fine ... but to bring his family up right now ...

Your knowledge of QB's is just barely above the class you just showed in this post if u know whats going on ....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Perhaps you misread b-n-b, Diam. I didn't interpret his post that way...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

at some point you want to see some good things from your rookies, regardless of what position they play.

Kessler is playing like his ceiling is a backup. Fans want to see more.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Either U have no clue whats going on with his family or u have ZERO CLASS and NO HEART or your just a straight up douche ....

U want to rip his football ... fine ... but to bring his family up right now ...

Your knowledge of QB's is just barely above the class you just showed in this post if u know whats going on ....

yep. sounds like the "other rookies" he's playing with are doing their jobs and getting open and he's not doing his by getting them the ball

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'll start w/one play. I think it was in the second half. Browns are driving and Coleman runs a fade towards the left corner of the end zone. He gets a little separation, but Kessler holds the ball too long and throws it late which takes Coleman out of the back of the end zone and gave the corner time to catch up due to the height on the ball.

Fades are supposed to be thrown high no?

Kessler didn't look great yesterday nut any means but I don't think the rest of our offense did him any favours.

I may be in the limited minority but jury is still out for me on whether or not we continue with him. He might be helped by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a real blue chip QB coming out that screams number 1 pick.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

Thank you for keeping the discussion about actual plays.....but I don't remember this play. There was play on the right sideline where Coleman ran a fade/go 18s before the half...but I don't think that's the play your are talking about because Kessler over threw that one.

I was gonna do it by quarters picking the passes that stood out to me from each quarter. But, I would love to discuss the play you're talking about...but I'm not sure which play it is...

Last edited by edromeo; 11/07/16 11:47 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Don't want to contribute to getting your thread off topic ... not why I'm here ..... it could be a real good thread since u don't want to try and make points with STATS .... *L* ... I don't agree with much of what u say and I certainly don't agree with your use of stats to get there .... but your a very respectful poster that talks football ... i will respect that and do my part to keep it on track ... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BTW ... smile ...

I have the game recorded ... Vers is referring to the play with 35 seconds left in the first half ... it was 1st and 10 from the cowboys 12 ... we had 2 to's left ....

Shotgun formation ... two TE's split out right with Pryor wide right by the sideline .... Coleman to the left by himself ... Coleman has 1 on 1 coverage from a CB with a safety to his side of the field about 3 steps towards the sideline from the hash ...

GREAT ARIEL VIEW ON THIS PLAY ....

Kessler takes the snap ... both TE's run 3 yard hooks ... Kessler looks down the middle .. Pryor runs a "deep" in ... squared it off near the back of the end zone ... never an option ...

Kessler looks middle for a brief second to freeze the safety ... GOOD JOB of looking the safety off ... he throws it to Coleman ... who was covered ... if u see the replay somewhere ... he looks open .. but they showed a 2nd look and he was blanketed ... defender stopped cause he didn't have to defend out of the end zone ... making Coleman appear open .. i was mad the 1st time i saw it cause i thought he threw it late ... after re-watching it .. that was only part of the problem .... *L* ..... he waited a second or so after looking off the safety before he threw it ...

He threw it short (if the defender got his head around .. easy pick ...
HE also threw it to much in the filed .. that needs to be thrown "deep" and alot more towards the sidelines ....

He had plenty of time and a nice pocket ...

- he should have never thrown it .. it was not open ... and he had a nice pocket ...

If he is going to throw it he has to throw it sooner as he had almost no chance to complete it and keep Coleman from catching it out of the back of the end zone ..

He also needs to make it more of a sideline throw ...

One of the things Pryor REALLY SUCKS AT is staying off the sideline and giving his QB the chance to throw it down the sideline cause he's a half step from going out of bounds ...

He had plenty of sideline to throw to on that play ....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm talking about the "Browns" Family.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Cody was not ready to be a starting qb this year. He needed to sit because he has a lot to learn. He, as well as other young qb's that we've had, were thrown in way too soon because of injuries. Do you know one of the biggest reasons for these injuries imo? lack of a good o-line. Besides JT and Mack we have not addressed the O-line with top picks. Erving was a mistake, shouldn't have been taken that high. as was said by other posters the O-line is the most important unit on the team. I hope our FO now see's this.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg

Fades are supposed to be thrown high no?

Kessler didn't look great yesterday nut any means but I don't think the rest of our offense did him any favours.

I may be in the limited minority but jury is still out for me on whether or not we continue with him. He might be helped by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a real blue chip QB coming out that screams number 1 pick.

ed asked for breakdowns of specific plays. That is what I attempted to do. I didn't say he sucks and we should cut him. I was simply trying to stay on topic.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

DD, appreciate you pointing out which play it was.
2nd qtr 35s seconds before the half:

My take...

Trips right with 2 TEs, one TE on the LOS the other TE in the slot Pryor out wide

Kessler takes his drop (3 quick) reads right first, but I believe this was a called 'shot' to Coleman from the playcall or predetermined 'shot' by Cody. If Cody was truly reading out the progression on 1st down I think he normally would hit the TE in the slot who gets open on a quick hitch/inside curl. I think Cody looks to right side first only to hold the FS from jumping the Coleman's fade route. (it works)

Cody quickly re-sets to read/throw left to Coleman and underthrows (aims) the ball. Leaving it too low, too short and too much inside the field of play. This ball should be the classic either my guy gets it or its out of bounds.

But really I don't think this pass should be thrown at all. Coleman didn't win on that route, not enough to create any real window.

I don't agree with the announcer that Cody was late on the throw because to throw it any earlier likely bring the S into the play.

If my QB wants to throw to Coleman on this play with this coverage, I would like a back shoulder pass...but I doubt Cody and Coleman have built that chemistry.

If I'm grading this play out.....and assuming Cody is reading out a true progression that starts on the frontside (rightside) of the play then I grade him down for not throwing to the slot TE.

I also grade him down for choosing to throw to Coleman who isn't open...no need to force that throw on 1st down in the RZ with a chance to score

I also don't like the ball location, too much in harm ways.
I would also prefer a back shoulder, given the coverage

Decision: -1
Timing: 0
Ball location/accuracy: -1
Ball type: prefer back shoulder

Last edited by edromeo; 11/07/16 01:16 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Pretty much all of the above on what people saw. He definitely held onto the ball too long.

He made poor choices and locked in on them. When he had other alternatives.

He had the seam a lot and he was focused on other WRs.

As was stated he had WRs gain separation Coleman deep was a good example.

Also as he threw the ball away I would see WR getting the edge on their defender making an NFL separation (not college) where he should have anticipated and thrown.

I thought he played well...he might become a good player but I hope we don't wait till year three to make the final decision. We get a high pick again for a stud QB I want us to pull the trigger. Hey if it turns out like a Drew Brees who was not playing well when they decided to take Rivers...then Brees studded out after the pick. But we got to go for the stud and can still continue with Kessler if he improves and deserves the shot...we also got one more year of RG3. I hope he plays at least 4 games this year.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: eotab
Pretty much all of the above on what people saw. He definitely held onto the ball too long.
To be clear, I haven't said that Kessler held the ball to long in the plays I broke down. Nor I am I saying in broad strokes that he is a QB who 'holds on to the ball too long'.

Imho one of the dangers of QB evaluation is mistaking the part for the whole.
It is very easy and imho very inaccurate to choose only a couple of plays then use those plays to paint the whole picture of a QB or any player.

Imho this oversimplification of a player's skillset is common evaluation mistake.

It is something I hoped to avoid with this thread because I thought people would actually pick some plays both good and bad to highlight.

I thought this type of thread could maybe continue over the course of the season and we could catalogue the number of times Kessler did X, Y or Z then use the sum of those plays to make an accurate assessment. But, I'm an optimist like that.

Quote:
He made poor choices and locked in on them. When he had other alternatives.

He had the seam a lot and he was focused on other WRs.

As was stated he had WRs gain separation Coleman deep was a good example.

Also as he threw the ball away I would see WR getting the edge on their defender making an NFL separation (not college) where he should have anticipated and thrown.
These are all fair and possibly accurate opinions...I don't know if I agree or not because I don't know exactly which plays you are talking about.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Quote:
3. Kessler is safe: For the first time, Jackson expressed a hint of dissatisfaction with quarterback Cody Kessler’s inability to connect on the deep ball. The coach believes it’s important to stretch a defense vertically, which may be one of the original selling points of Robert Griffin. “Obviously [Kessler’s deep ball is] not giving us a chance to score more points,” Jackson said. “Because sometimes I think those plays have been there to be made – whether it’s the quarterback, receiver or protection, we all have a hand at that. I’m not going to lay it all at Cody’s feet.” On a conference call, Jackson wasn’t buying a reporter’s observation that Kessler’s 104.4 passer rating was one positive from the 35-10 loss to the Cowboys. “The biggest disappointment for me as the leader of our offense is we haven’t been able to win, haven’t found a way to score one more point than the other team to win a game,” Jackson said. “There’s some things I’m sure individually players have done well, but as an offensive team, it’s the quarterback’s job to get the team to win. I haven’t done a good enough job of getting that done for our guys. The stat line is the stat line, but winning is truly what this is all about.” That does not mean, however, that Jackson will make a change at quarterback. The Browns are now 0-6 in games in which Kessler has started. I’m not going to play musical chairs with our quarterback. “I made a decision to go with Cody and that’s what I’m going to do,” he said. “But all of them … we haven’t got a win. That’s the quarterback’s job. More so than anything, it’s to win games.” Josh McCown is 0-2 and Griffin is 0-1.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/...stions-about-it

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: edromeo
[quote]“The biggest disappointment for me as the leader of our offense is we haven’t been able to win, haven’t found a way to score one more point than the other team to win a game,”

When your Defense gives up over 30 a game, it's an uphill battle for ANY offense.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I really like the quote from Hue.

Challenge Cody to improve on his weaknesses and praise him for what he has been doing well but don't let him think he has arrived.

Cody is literally on the brink. He regressed a little last week, possible effects of him not being able to stay on the field. With a weak team like Baltimore coming up, on a short week, I think this is an important game for Cody. Lock him up in the film room and on the practice field. Get tons of work in.

There is something there with Cody. He has shown it ever since Miami. It just seems like he is consistently a step too slow or the game is a step too fast once the ball has been hiked. If he ever catches up to that tempo, he could really soar. I hope he does, because he definitely does a lot of things that good/great QB's do *Examples: Protect the ball, make teams pay for blitzing, audibles, ect.*

you had a good run Hank.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I really like the quote from Hue.

Challenge Cody to improve on his weaknesses and praise him for what he has been doing well but don't let him think he has arrived.

Cody is literally on the brink. He regressed a little last week, possible effects of him not being able to stay on the field. With a weak team like Baltimore coming up, on a short week, I think this is an important game for Cody. Lock him up in the film room and on the practice field. Get tons of work in.

There is something there with Cody. He has shown it ever since Miami. It just seems like he is consistently a step too slow or the game is a step too fast once the ball has been hiked. If he ever catches up to that tempo, he could really soar. I hope he does, because he definitely does a lot of things that good/great QB's do *Examples: Protect the ball, make teams pay for blitzing, audibles, ect.*

Nice post!

What I like about Cody is that he doesn't seem intimidated by the game. Aside from a great play by Josh Norman, he and Pryor took Norman to school all game long. The first half of the Jets game they dominated Revis. And while I don't think the stats would reflect it, I'm not as worried about 3rd and long like I have been with some other QB's.

I think he prepares well for the game each week. I think it's his preparation IMO that has been the biggest contributor to what successes he has had so far. But he still has to get that experience on the field in order to recognize and take advantage of slip ups and mismatches in the Defense. For as much as Hue likes to play with formations, Cody has done a great job in directing that, but I don't think he's seeing the mismatches it creates all that clearly just yet.

I also think that consistency in the O-line would help him go far. I'm not talking about the blocking so much as I am just having the same 5 guys playing in front of him 2,3,4 weeks in a row.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any info or thoughts on how much latitude Hue is giving Cody? Or at least what his approach to managing the QB on game day is? Is he giving him the play and telling him to run it come hell or high water (Shurmur style), or is he being given some audibles and options?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
J/C .....

Kessler has played in 6 games, and has been knocked out of 2 of them, and has attempted 160 passes.

It's hard to make much of an evaluation based on that, especially on this team.

I have concerns about him, but let's see what he does the rest of the way out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think some of Kessler's "holding the ball" problem is actually a not trusting his OL and Receivers problem. We mix and match due to injuries and Hue's "exotic" play calling so much that we have poor timing/coordination. I don't really think Hue should change long-term, but paring down the play book now while we develop some "bread and butter" plays might be beneficial. We don't really have the base to effectively implement all the bells and whistles yet.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Specific plays...down and distance when and where...sorry my aptitude for that is waning. I make mental notes and usually its from replays you can see a WR breaking open as Kessler who did not look around his head was stationed towards one WR. Its a very typical rookie mistake.

I previously noted that I thought Kessler improved with each game played. I saw a step back. And I'm probably correct on this. He was drilled during the week. DO NOT MAKE A MISTAKE. Why he was very hesitant and didn't wish to take chances. I think that had a lot to do with him holding onto the ball too long. We know the coaches were preaching that...NO TURNOVERS...Dallas was too good to make turnovers and survive.

You want a positive play ok the Crowell pass early on down the middle deep. But he was the primary target...great play call and execution. It wasn't like Crowell was the 2nd or 3rd choice. But I think when Kessler is relaxed like that he is VERY ACCURATE.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
In my eyes It's very simple: Cody is not ready yet. He isn't suppose to be. He wasn't suppose to be starting this year. What he has done is play better than anyone thought he could. He's been in and out because of injuries and played behind basically a makeshift O line. He still has a lot to learn and with a better supporting cast he will get better. Again, the only ? is can he make those deep throws. We'll see.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I think some of Kessler's "holding the ball"
Again, I don't think holding the ball was an issue for Kessler last game nor do it think its an issue for him overall.

Last game I thought Kessler/Hue may have been too aggressive with the playcalls/philosophy trying to attack deep as gameplan rather then allow it to happen naturally. I mention the playcalling/gameplan here because imho it was evident in how they chose to attack Dallas Cover-1 disguised Cover-1 with a very small sprinkle of Cover 3 defense. Instead of attacking quick with 3 step routes Slants, drags or even quick 5 with some rubs they chose to attempt to attack vertical. Kessler forced a seam route that wasn't open (iirc in the 2nd possession of the game) that was almost picked.
On a 3rd and 2 near the red zone they dialed up a deep shot. And they didn't continue to take the comeback/deep hitch/stop routes that were open all day against Cover-1/Cover-3. Kessler/Hue threw/dialed up more deep shots this week then ever before.

Kessler has been a good decision maker and efficient QB in the west coast sense of taking what you can get as soon as you can get it/ never go broke taking a profit.

This game I saw a Kessler that was passing over/turning down easy completions and hunting for something more.
Maybe he was pressing idk. But his decision this game was atypical of what I've seen from him, its the type of decision making that was reminiscent of Drago from last game where he chased after the "big ball" low percentage chances as opposed to taking the efficient, drive sustaining easy completion.

Last edited by edromeo; 11/08/16 04:12 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Again, I don't think holding the ball was an issue for Kessler last game nor do it think its an issue for him overall.

I think he holds the ball too long on many plays. Not sure how you can even say that. In fact, you said this later:

Quote:
This game I saw a Kessler that was passing over/turning down easy completions and hunting for something more.

You see that, right?

I think he holds the ball too long at times because he doesn't trust that he can make certain throws. Many of his throws are very late and many of his sacks can be attributed to the same factor.

Legend
Legend
Every time I see this thread I think, Kessler had a breakdown? Who wouldn't behind the right side of our line.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
rofl

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Alright...I'm going to throw out there what I saw from CK in this game. I've only made it through the first half for now. Here goes:

On the opening drive and the first play from scrimmage CK throws a 14 yard ish route to the right for a nice gain. It appeared that such was his first read, the throw was accurate and effective although not thrown with great velocity...not that additional velocity was necessary. It was a nice playcall to start the game and give CK some confidence. (Something we've seen precious little of STR.)

Checkdown throw to Crow for two. Should have thrown it a little sooner.

Throw away throw.

Gets pressured, scrambles right...then middle...then left..keeps his eyes downfield and throws a beautiful pass to Hawk...who DROPS it in the endzone. Cam gets ejected. The throw had the proper velocity and placement...terrific play.

None of those throws showed his arm strength as good or bad...then again...there was no need to drive it differently.

2nd possession from our own 25:

Dump off to Crow for two

Read through progressions (apparently) and short pass to Hawk who picks up the last two yards and gets the first. Accurate throw and adequate/appropriate velocity.

No huddle now...run play immediately blown up for a big loss AND holding on the OL. 2nd & 15

Bad throw and decision on a pass over the middle that probably should have been picked. Throw was a floater that he should not have made. Did NOT step into the throw at all as there was no room to do so. Duke was a better choice short in the middle.

Short throw in the flat to Duke for 9...lots of pressure to get rid of the ball and got drilled.

Next possession starting at the 45:

Pocket collapses and CK doesn't get rid of the ball...sack. He should have throw that away I think.

Draw play on 2nd & 18...nice gain...nicer to see us able to actually RUN ONE.

Screen to Barnidge...very nice gain. Accurate short throw in the right time/progression of the play. A successful draw AND a successful screen. QB sneak for first down. What?

Ten yard out to Coleman. Good timing, probably the first read...not a rifle throw and not necessary.

Overthrew Coleman...if that was A Bryant there would have been holding/PI called.

3rd & 2 from the 22 and CK throws a jump ball floater to Pryor in the endzone. The throw could have been deeper and Pryor should have been another yard or two away from the sideline. NO arm strength issue...just two inexperienced guys hooking up for a missed opportunity. He had room to step into a deeper throw, but distance and velocity weren't an issue there. Also, another example where a 'good team' probably gets a PI called on the DB. Missed FG.

Start on our own ten after ANOTHER holding penalty on the kickoff. Why do we do this over and over and over?

Drive includes a couple runs by Duke...a short throw to Pryor...and a 3rd down throw to Barnidge that was two yards short. Why did he run a five yard route on 3rd & 7? Barnidge was not likely the first read...he had ample time to run two yards deeper. CK had a nice read and accurate throw...can't believe Barnidge ran that route.

Last drive of the half...starting at our own 20. Nice throw right to the 40 yard line for a first down. Stepped in to the throw. Velocity was appropriate but not smokin'. Over the LBs and in front of the S.

Dump over the middle to Duke and another nice draw by Duke... no huddle now with a minute to go.

Twenty yard out right to Coleman. Adequate and appropriate velocity.

Ten yard out left to Pryor and a roughing the passer. Could have had a little more on the throw but no room to step up.

Late throw to Coleman in the end zone...should have been thrown sooner and higher...not a velocity issue. Two inexperienced guys hooking up.

Nice pocket...surveys the field...moves to his right and leaves the pocket...sees Pryor lose his man as he cuts back to the right...both players running right and throws ANOTHER beautiful pass in the endzone where only Pryor can touch it...unlike Hawk on a similar throw but moving LEFT...Pryor catches the pass for a TD.

There was only one throw in the first half where I got worried about arm strength and that was a bad throw AND a bad decision. He did not have room to step up into the throw and should have known better there.

The throws in the drive at the end of the half were adequate, accurate, and timely...but the velocity was less than I'd like to see. Then again...they were timely and accurate and additional velocity was not necessary...I also think those throws had about as much velocity on them as he has to give...so there's that.

The two drives that ended in one dropped TD pass for a field goal and one TD pass at the end of the half were terrific against a good team. CK was in control, ran the huddle, and made good decisions with good throws.

Those two rollout passes in the endzone to Hawk and Pryor were much more impressive than most any 'backup' QBs I've seen in that situation. He may be a career backup when it's all said and done, but he'll be a darn good one at worst.

I didn't see him make a throw that required velocity that he doesn't have to give...I didn't see the offense struggle with a defense trying to bottle up the LOS. He put up 10 points that should have been 17 with one field goal missed (+3) and one TD pass dropped for a field goal (+4).

I didn't see anything that made me think he's the long-term answer or just a backup. For a 3rd Rd rookie not supposed to play yet, he moved the team as well as any QB on the roster...AGAIN. If the "book" is out on him, teams are oftentimes having trouble comprehending it. I once again saw enough to make me want to see more.

Not sure I'll get around to the second half. The game got out of hand early Q3. I'll see what I can do...not that anyone is holding their breath waiting for that.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Awesome stuff dude, i want to give it a thorough read later.

Real quick though....at first look i thought Hawk dropped the ball (and ill check on all 22) but i think that ball skipped off the ground and if the pass was driven with more velocity it reaches Hawk.

im not grading Cody down there but thats what i saw on that play

D
Legend
Legend
D
Nice post Willie ...

Remember the first play ... will give u my thoughts on that one ... will go watch the rest tomorrow ...

The 1st throw was exactly how he has to do it .. the key to the completion on this play was three fold ...

- he saw the CB playing off ... He ANTICIPATED the throw .. he threw it well before Pryor broke it off ...

- because he anticipated the throw he got rid of it QUICKLY ...

- he stepped into the throw and had a nice hip turn and follow through ... it still didn't have ALOT of zip on it but with the combo of the anticipation and the nice turn of the hips ... the pass got there in time ....

I'll watch the rest of the first half tomorrow and get back to u then ...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
First Throw: 1st and 10 vs Cover 1 w/ press corners. No disguise, straight WYSIWYG defense easy to read.

Cody 7 step drop + 1 hitch throws sideline comeback from the far hash to the opposite sideline.
This is considered by many to be a litmus test throw for arm strength.

I thought the throw had plenty enough velocity, that throw was a good display of arm strength.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Quote:
Ten yard out to Coleman. Good timing, probably the first read...not a rifle throw and not necessary.
Cover 1, 10 yard stop route/hitch route-5 step drop. Good throw all around, timing, accuracy placement etc.

I mentioned it earlier but I was disappointed that Hue/Pep didn't wear them out with stop routes/comebacks routes vs Cowboys primary coverages of Cover 1 and Cover 3. Comebacks routes/stop routes on the outside are open all day against those coverages.

Quote:
Overthrew Coleman...if that was A Bryant there would have been holding/PI called.
Cowboys comeout in a Cover 2 look but it converts to Cover 1 man after the snap.

Cody takes a 5-step drop and has a choice of 2 verticals on either sideline.
To me Pryor has the better leverage on the defender but Cody is probably reading the lean of the FS and throwing opposite expecting both WRs to 'win'.
IF Cody is allowed to hold the FS with his stare then pre-snap I would have favored Pryor.

Anyhow even though Coleman doesn't win clean at LOS he uses his speed to get past the DB and I thought he would have a better chance if Cody throws the ball with more loft and less of a line drive. For me the difference between the line of the throw may have allowed Coleman to separate farther and a chance to run under the ball in the endzone. But because the ball was more on a line it got there faster and was too far out in front.

I might be picking nits on this one thoughI

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Cover 1, 10 yard stop route/hitch route-5 step drop. Good throw all around, timing, accuracy placement etc.

I mentioned it earlier but I was disappointed that Hue/Pep didn't wear them out with stop routes/comebacks routes vs Cowboys primary coverages of Cover 1 and Cover 3. Comebacks routes/stop routes on the outside are open all day against those coverages.

Quote:
Cowboys comeout in a Cover 2 look but it converts to Cover 1 man after the snap.

Cody takes a 5-step drop and has a choice of 2 verticals on either sideline.
To me Pryor has the better leverage on the defender but Cody is probably reading the lean of the FS and throwing opposite expecting both WRs to 'win'.
IF Cody is allowed to hold the FS with his stare then pre-snap I would have favored Pryor.

Anyhow even though Coleman doesn't win clean at LOS he uses his speed to get past the DB and I thought he would have a better chance if Cody throws the ball with more loft and less of a line drive. For me the difference between the line of the throw may have allowed Coleman to separate farther and a chance to run under the ball in the endzone. But because the ball was more on a line it got there faster and was too far out in front.

I might be picking nits on this one thoughI

Not picking nits...you saw more detail on that play than I did...my thoughts after seeing it were two: With more experience, Coleman doesn't get slowed by the DB as much...and CK doesn't make as flat a throw. Good read...good route...good throw...just not good enough.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Nice post Willie ...

Remember the first play ... will give u my thoughts on that one ... will go watch the rest tomorrow ...

The 1st throw was exactly how he has to do it .. the key to the completion on this play was three fold ...

- he saw the CB playing off ... He ANTICIPATED the throw .. he threw it well before Pryor broke it off ...

- because he anticipated the throw he got rid of it QUICKLY ...

- he stepped into the throw and had a nice hip turn and follow through ... it still didn't have ALOT of zip on it but with the combo of the anticipation and the nice turn of the hips ... the pass got there in time ....

I'll watch the rest of the first half tomorrow and get back to u then ...

A little off-topic here...but I lovelovelove how "Big" Pryor gets on those little comeback out routes. He presents such a giant target on plays like that...between that skill and our ability to run draw plays and screens...I feel like I'm watching some other team than the Browns STR.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
First Throw: 1st and 10 vs Cover 1 w/ press corners. No disguise, straight WYSIWYG defense easy to read.

Cody 7 step drop + 1 hitch throws sideline comeback from the far hash to the opposite sideline.
This is considered by many to be a litmus test throw for arm strength.

I thought the throw had plenty enough velocity, that throw was a good display of arm strength.

I agree. Now...he had time and was able to step into the throw...but he DID IT. My sense/hope is that this is a good sign of him having no-less-than adequate NFL arm strength.

If he had a canon...and timing...and vision...and accuracy..he would not have been there in the 3rd. To my untrained eye and in the scope of what he's being asked to do, he displayed adequate arm strength throughout the first half.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Not to be an arse Willy, and thanks for your effort, but Didn't CK hit Crowell for a 40-yard gain on the first drive.... a little finesse toss right down the middle that Cro ran for about 25-30?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Cowboys 35 Breakdown of Cody Kessler vs the Cowboys

Link Copied to Clipboard