P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Why

Legend
Legend
a legit safety helps our defense immensely IMO. however we can get that guy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If we don't want sexy names, I'd be happy signing some fat boys instead. Kevin Zeitler, Ricky Wagner, and Johnathan Hankins would make us stronger in the trenches. They'd eat maybe 1/3 of our salary cap space with the absolute max they'd get paid combined.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
My view is - I believe the FO and staff will give Coleman a shot at RT. He was a 3rd round pick, been injured, and played decently when taking snaps vs Pitt, who had their starting D playing. Offseason of deelopment should really help him.

I think we potentially need an OT to develop to prepare for the inevitable when Joe T retires but that may be a consideration next draft?

A center, at least as insurance for Reiter or if we draft a late round rook, seems sensible. I've mentioned him before but JC Tretter (Packers) may be an option?

Micah Hyde and a CB would be very beneficial. I'd still draft 1 or maybe 2 CBs / safety anyway to accomodate the aging process.

Zeitler would be a nice pickup but if Pasztor is moved inside, I believe we have a good set of OGs, injuries notwithstanding. Drango proved to be more than serviceable too.

A healthy line of JT-Bittonio-Reiter/Greco-Pasztor-Coleman is a good OL.

It all starts and ends with the QB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Overspend on Eric Berry.

Berry is somebody I hope we go for in FA. He has at least 3 stellar years in him and is a difference maker.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I've gone on record stating that I don't want the team to ever go crazy in free agency. More times than not, it gets you in cap trouble and you end up over spending on players who aren't worth it. Other teams have done it; We've done it.

That said, I think there are times where it can be a benefit to upgrading the team's talent for the long haul. This is when a team cannot afford to keep all their young talent (or they blow everything up like in our case last year frown ) , they have to make some tough decisions and players fall through the cracks. I'm talking about those 25-26 year old that are done with their rookie deal, proved themselves on the field, and are ready to be paid.

The problem is that there aren't many that fall into this category. I haven't looked up teams current cap situation and the amount of young players set to hit FA, but I'm sure there are some out there. Plus I wouldn't mind adding some players Hue or Gregg Williams knows for depth.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

We don't just have money. We have 20 million more than the next team behind us. We could easily make it almost 40 million. Time to spend money.

Having that much money sure makes it easier to trade for Jimmy G. cool

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

We don't just have money. We have 20 million more than the next team behind us. We could easily make it almost 40 million. Time to spend money.

Having that much money sure makes it easier to trade for Jimmy G. cool

It does make it easier. It also makes it easier to sign a few others as well. You build through the draft for the long term. You can use FA to help for the short term, need some immediate help. It doesn't have to be pro bowl type players. We need a few plug and play players. I think everybodyu knows that this team can't go through another season like last season. It is going to have to show immediate gains. I am not going to put a number on it, but it is over 2-3 wins.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Peen you're more generous than me. Anything less than 5 wins and people will be gone. Not saying I'm cool with that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
People are already gone after one year of losing. It will be ugly next year unless the team makes decent improvement.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
JC

Browns likely to pursue Tyrod Taylor if cut

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon expects Cleveland to target Tyrod Taylor if he's released by the Bills.
Taylor is fully expected to be released by Buffalo, and ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak reiterated it on Tuesday. The Bills brought in new coach Sean McDermott and are overhauling the coaching staff, while GM Doug Whaley has never seemed to be a big fan of Taylor after ex-coach Rex Ryan handpicked him and started him over Whaley's bust, E.J. Manuel. Taylor will have no shortage of suitors once he's free. He'd be a fine match in Cleveland with Hue Jackson. link

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Predicting the biggest offseason change for all 32 teams

Browns
The Browns will release Robert Griffin III and try to sign Tyrod Taylor. Griffin played better in his final two games, but didn't do enough to warrant another year under Hue Jackson. Jackson will instead turn to Taylor, who protected the ball, stayed healthy and played better than he's given credit for in Buffalo. -- Pat McManamon

link

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the information.

I really hope this isn't true.

If it is, my earlier concerns about the Browns being able to evaluate QBs has just skyrocketed.

RGIII in FA

Goff over Wentz in the draft

Kessler over a few QBs in the draft.

And now this?

Maybe it isn't true. fingerscrossed

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I don't understand the issue of going with RGIII. He was the only FA option with any sort of upside, the rest was really a lot of trash.

As for Taylor, we could do a LOT worse than Taylor as a bridge QB. I'd much rather have Taylor and (draft pick) than RGIII and (draft pick). I believe Taylor is a top 20 starting QB, so he's worth the money.

I suppose if you believe Jimmy G is the guy, then I could understand being upset with Taylor. I am fine either way, but the draft pick better be damn good when given his shot if they do go that way.

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We all have our opinions.

However, I have a question: What makes you believe that the Browns will draft a qb high if they sign Taylor?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We all have our opinions.

However, I have a question: What makes you believe that the Browns will draft a qb high if they sign Taylor?

Depends on what you mean as high.

I think if they sign Taylor, they would look at one with one of their 2nd rounders, someone who may take more time to develop. Which is fine with me, because IMO, all of the QB's in this draft need time to develop.

I don't believe Taylor is a Franchise QB. The possibility exists, I suppose, and it's much higher than RGIII's possibility. I just think the Browns are going to take shots until one QB proves himself. Keep drafting high QB's until one hits.

I'm not sure if any available guys this year are franchise caliber. I suspect Jimmy and a few draft prospects are the best chance. Then Taylor would be in the next unlikely but not impossible.

To put it this way, I think Taylor is/could become a much better version of Alex Smith. And I think that's good enough for right now until the rest of the roster is ready to contend. Or they develop/find another QB that's better.

you had a good run Hank.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I will say this. I am very behind going for Jimmy. I am very against going qb in the 1st. If tyrod helps us avoid a qb in the 1st I am all for it. I value tyrod at a higher level than I did rg3 when we brought him in and I was fairly optimistic then.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Who is the QB you are thinking of in the second round?

Look man..........I think you are a good poster and I do not want to argue w/you..........but I would be very unhappy if the Browns sign Taylor.

L
Legend
Legend
L
It'd be a lateral move, essentially, between Griffin and Broken Tie-rod.
Not meaning to start a pun thread re QBs/cars.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for the information.

I really hope this isn't true.

If it is, my earlier concerns about the Browns being able to evaluate QBs has just skyrocketed.

RGIII in FA

Goff over Wentz in the draft

Kessler over a few QBs in the draft.

And now this?

Maybe it isn't true. fingerscrossed

Vers the only thing I disagree with is RG3. He didn't cost us a comp pick and he had some upside still. I don't think it was anything more than that.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
The thought of getting Taylor is far from thrilling to me, but it would feel like a considerable upgrade from RG3.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Who is the QB you are thinking of in the second round?

Well, I think when you get that late with a QB, it's all about what you are looking for in a QB.

I think of the guys available, Mahommes, Webb, or Watson would be a good developmental guy. Depends on who they like.

Quote:
Look man..........I think you are a good poster and I do not want to argue w/you..........but I would be very unhappy if the Browns sign Taylor.

Well, let me put it this way. I want Jimmy G. I really do. I think he's our best chance at finding a Franchise guy in a long time. Now, whether we are the team that gets him, or something unforeseen happens and somehow he stays in NE, I have no idea.

I'm just saying, I'd much rather have Tyrod than going into the year with the same guys we already have on the roster.

you had a good run Hank.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
darn this franchise loves to.acquire journeyman QBS and draft mid rd QBS
with limited upside
franchise QB must be a forbidden term in Berea
I don't see the Browns landing any big dollar free agents
the Berry's the Wagners the Zeitlers come from teams with a playoff history
cleveland is not a prime destination spot for free agents Pro Bowl talent

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
It'd be a lateral move, essentially, between Griffin and Broken Tie-rod.

No. It wouldn't. Taylor can play in an NFL offense.

V
Legend
Legend
V
What are your thoughts on Taylor's accuracy and ability to read coverages?

Legend
Legend
I think Tyrod is a step above RG3 (and maybe more of a fit for Hue's thoughts/scheme) ... he's not good however. He's a below average NFL QB (which is still a step above what we've had)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Anyone?

I don't know myself. All I know is he plays every game?

Is that correct?

Vers. What's YOUR take on your question?

My dilemma is Taylor comes via FA. That'll dictate HIGH teens in Millions. Multi Year Contract.

I'd much rather go Garoppolo. Give the picks and go long term with him if he pans out.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think Tyrod is a step above RG3 (and maybe more of a fit for Hue's thoughts/scheme) ... he's not good however. He's a below average NFL QB (which is still a step above what we've had)

he's in the top 10 of QBR in the league last 2 seasons.

where are people getting this idea that he's a below average QB?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Anyone?

Is that correct?

My dilemma is Taylor comes via FA. That'll dictate HIGH teens in Millions. Multi Year Contract.

I'd much rather go Garoppolo. Give the picks and go long term with him if he pans out.

I think Taylor can be accurate at times. He throws a really pretty deep pass, similar to what we said about RGIII last year. Other times, he is inaccurate and misses open receivers. I would call his accuracy "inconsistent."

I believe him reading coverages is a weakness. He doesn't see the entire field and doesn't often see open receivers. Buffalo used to roll him out a lot due to his lack of height. Many times the field was cut in half for him. Going through his progressions was seen by many as a weakness.

I think that Taylor was due to get around $30 million and the powers that be in Buffalo didn't think he was worth it.

There are parts of his game I like. He would have been a good pick-up last time around, but I don't think he is the type of qb to deserve big money.

At the end of the day, I would be disappointed if we sign him instead of trading for Jimmy G. I don't hate Taylor. He has some talent. I just don't think he is the guy to develop into a true franchise qb. I think he will do some good things, but he has a couple of holes in his game that will leave you frustrated.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh, btw........I think he and Watson are very similar qbs.

R
Legend
Legend
R
If we do not pursue JimmyG with all the assets we have then I think that will be a wrap for me as a fan. Especially if we go hard after someone like Taylor. I mean either this team is interested in getting this thing turned around and becoming winners or it's not.

Watch Shanahan make a strong play for JimmyG in San Francisco. That's who he wanted when we drafted Manziel. You'll have one franchise that's serious about winning and you'll have another that's just fascinated with draft picks and asset value and blah, blah, blah.

I have zero confidence that Hue or the FO has any idea what they are doing when it comes to the QB position. At least with Watson not playing in the senior bowl, Hue won't develop a man crush on him and ignore every other prospect.

The sucky part is if we had just drafted Wentz we could be focusing on building up the team right now. We would actually be a year or two toward respectability. As it stands now there is no hope.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
If we do not pursue JimmyG with all the assets we have then I think that will be a wrap for me as a fan.

Don't say that, because w/this rumor out there, it doesn't look like the Jimmy G trade is going to happen.

I have a question for you. Did Shanny take the SF job already?

I hope not because I think SF is a very situation, much like Cleveland's.

Besides, I think being an OC is the perfect spot for Shanny. I don't think he has the "people" skills to be a HC.

R
Legend
Legend
R
My emotional attachment to the Browns will always be there, but I care less and less about the team with each passing year. I watched the least amount of football I've done in years and it was a much more enjoyable fall for me. As you know I've got small kids. Packing up the car for a day trip on a Sunday with my family is just infinitely more enjoyable than watching the Browns specifically and football in general. And my kids are reaching the activity age where my Saturdays and Sundays will be filled with sports games and dance recitals and who knows what else. Things that will bring me joy. Listening to Sashi Brown tell the fan base how impressed they were with the rookie class is not enjoyable.

You add the fact that the team refuses to address the most important position in sports and instead of getting mad it just makes me want to put it (my fandom) in the closet for awhile and maybe dig it out at some later time if the team ever gets serious about becoming winners.

As for Shanahan, I don't think he's accepted. I assume he will but probably only if him and NE have a deal worked out for JimmyG before going there. He's not taking the job with no QB on the roster. He could like someone in the draft as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah bro...........spend every minute you can w/your kids!!! I think being a good parent is the most important role in one's life.

Legend
Legend
Yeah bro...........spend every minute you can w/your kids!!! I think being a good parent is the most important role in one's life.
Agreed. I don't have kids (maybe one day), but that's good advice.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Anyone?

Is that correct?

The money is easier to replace than the picks. Taylor won't command a huge contract, probably a contract similar to Dalton or Tannehill. High guarantees each season, but also easy to get out of.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
On top of Vers assessment, which was spot on btw, I'd like to give a comparison that may be cringe worthy or positive depending on how you take it. He's almost exactly what Johnny could have been at his full potential. He has every positive trait johnny did without the trash and he's really good at protecting the ball.

-small in stature
-above average arm,
-inconsistent accuracy
-great mobile thrower
-elite elusiveness in pocket and as a runner(tyrods a Better athlete than johnny)
-great pocket awareness
-good with his progressions but stature causes some missed reads. Does not stare down wrs
-does not turn the ball over
-very well spoken and intelligent
-avoids hits well l. Health shouldn't be any more a concern than any other qb despite stature

I watched every tape I could find this morning on him and I am very please with what I found. I would love to have this guy. Him and Jimmy are very close for me. I could be happy going either way and much more happy than a 1st round qb.

Last edited by predator16; 01/18/17 01:00 PM.
Legend
Legend
I'm not giving an opinion of Taylor here, I liked him coming out of the draft, but I don't see where McNanobrain is getting this assumption... how it becomes "likely."

Legend
Legend
Maybe he's likely just based off the assumed skill set Hue is looking for.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Would anyone be interested in Nick Foles? He will likely be cut by KC. they have no cap room and he gives them 10 million more in space.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2017/

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard