Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
??? are you really that way??? Pastor just proved you wrong in spades. And that is all you can say...

Man you....never mind I'll force a smile smile

Oh and if we are not interested in him...betcha there are several teams that would try to move up to #1 for Garrett...you are just plain wrong.

Thanks tab some people are never wrong and want to argue instead of having a civil discussion
superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
No offense, but that is a dumb strategy and NFL teams do not draft that way.

They have vertical and horizontal boards and don't draft on "ifs."

Prove it. I don't see anything wrong with attempting to build an entire D-line instead of just one spot. We have a major need at DT and DE. Just drafting Garrett is not going to fix it. I think having Allen and Barnett on both sides of Danny Shelton could have more of an impact than Garrett and a missing link at DT.

Is there another DT in this draft anywhere near Allen's talent? I don't really think so. I think it's a VERY sharp drop off from Allen while there are several very good DE. Since it's not likely that we end up with both taking the DT might fill our needs better.

Also just because some NFL teams don't do it my way doesn't mean it's wrong. I mean there are a LOT of bad GMs who get fired left and right for bad drafting. Yet you're so confident my idea is "dumb" and all those fired GM's are right. But yeah being told my ideas are dumb without any real reasoning is not offensive at all ...

Barnett, Shelton, Allen, Ogbah to me is a lot better than Garrett, Shelton, ???, Ogbah.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

The more I think about it...Allen is probably not as "SAFE" a pick early on as they say.

If he was around 315 with that kind of speed and explosion I'd say he was special. I think his true value is as a 3-4 DE of course we just left that D scheme...lol

I don't see a QB going early, Tribusky is the only possible one. But he should be there at 12 and a long shot for 33.

But will keep my Garrett 99% sure status just in case we are totally sold on Tribusky as being the Holy Grail.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Would you say Donald is special?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I like the Quarter pounder and the new Grand Mac...lol laugh

Seriously...two different animals.

Aaron Donald ran a 4.68
Had explosive numbers in vertical and broad jump. He is closer to Garrett than Allen.

Speed x Mass is very key on the DL.
That is why I stated if Allen was as explosive and had the speed that he possesses it gets to be special if he is around 315.

If he was 290 (Donald 285) and ran a 4.68 with explosion then I would say, yeah Allen was special.

Don't get me wrong he is Good, Very Good but I think he is best suited for a 3-4 team.

jmho

Last edited by eotab; 02/22/17 09:55 AM.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

mac #1235129 02/22/17 11:30 AM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
OK... Would you say Geno Atkins is special?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
What makes a guy special has nothing to do with any measurables. Off the chart measurables make a guy a special athlete,not a special player. Heart, desire, will, paired with good athletic ability make a guy special.

Legend
Legend

Whether or not anybody agrees or not charlie Casserly has been in football a long time. And, he actually got paid as a GM. So, I listen to his opinion.

He has some interesting takes on this years draft.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...-s-Dak-Prescott

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Whether or not anybody agrees or not charlie Casserly has been in football a long time. And, he actually got paid as a GM. So, I listen to his opinion.

He has some interesting takes on this years draft.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...-s-Dak-Prescott

I like how he echoed alot of what most think but are still fooling themselves thinking that a QB is going to go at 1...he doesn't think any are worth top 10..I agree..too much defensive talent this year...this is the year that QB's will fall I think. He has us trading with NE 12 for Garrapalo, I'm not sure he's worth that..I guess it is just going to depend on how many buyers for Jimmy G there will be..I'd like to think we can get him at 33, or maybe trade back up into the first round somewhere and trade. Too much talent at the top to take a risk on a NE QB imo.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's staring us right in the face, this is a deep draft for D talent. We should draft impact players on D and build on what we already have. Those impact players will make the guys we have better. You can draft early for D and fill in O needs with later picks and FA. If we can get JG with a 2 this year and a 2 or 3 next year do it. JMO

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
It's staring us right in the face, this is a deep draft for D talent. We should draft impact players on D and build on what we already have. Those impact players will make the guys we have better. You can draft early for D and fill in O needs with later picks and FA. If we can get JG with a 2 this year and a 2 or 3 next year do it. JMO

yeah my biggest fear is taking a QB for the sake of taking one, though there really isn't that franchise type QB in this draft. I think how this FO handles the FA and Draft this year is going to be quite telling

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
mac #1235177 02/22/17 02:19 PM
Legend
Legend
Give me Garrett/Caleb Brantley over Allen/Barnett.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
What makes a guy special has nothing to do with any measurables. Off the chart measurables make a guy a special athlete,not a special player. Heart, desire, will, paired with good athletic ability make a guy special.

yada yada yada... fact is his measureables come out on the field so does Allen...Aaron Donald is just better coming out of college and proved it on the field.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

First article doesn't do anything but support my ideas.

"After all of the information was discussed, our GM would then ask the scouts to compare the player we just went over to other players at his position. Once we found a landing spot for him at his position, we compared him to players across the board that were given a similar grade."

This is how players with similar grades are given hierarchy on a team's board.

"There's evidently no hard-line guide to scouting -- it's as much an art as it is a science -- and the recent success by the two schools of thought reinforces this."

The second article reinforces what I said. The third doesn't change anything either. Using the point scale from the third article ...

Vertically you have DE
Garrett 8
Solomon 7
Barnett 7

DT
Allen 8
Caleb 6.5
Malik 6.5

Point wise Allen and Barnett is better than Garrett and Caleb or malik. Plus you get the draft pick value of what you get for trading back to #3. Plus you get the bonus of having your D-line for the next 5 years which is THE most important part of your defense.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Give me Garrett/Caleb Brantley over Allen/Barnett.

So it's your opinion that Caleb is a better player than Barnett then? Why? For me I think Barnett is a FAR superior talent than Caleb.

mac #1235340 02/22/17 06:57 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
eotab...
Donald went at pick no. 13, Allen is projected as high as no. 2. How was Donald better coming out?

Here are some measurables from the 2013 draft:

6-3 297 ran 4.92, jumped 30", no bench
6-3 299 ran 5.08, jumped 27", and benched 29
by your accounts player one should be better and was drafted before player no. 2
Player 2 went in round two, player 1 in round 1
here are the nfl stats from player 1 last year-he didn't play this year-34 tackles 2.5 sacks
now player 2-55 tackles 11 sacks, this year he had 55 tackles 6 sacks
player 1- Shariff Floyd
Player 2- Kwaan Short
there are examples like this in EVERY draft.

Last edited by dean_fairchild; 02/22/17 07:01 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay Razor.........teams don't have Vertical and Horizontal boards.

I just need to remember not to try and answer questions when you and ed ask them.

mac #1235346 02/22/17 07:13 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D

mac #1235362 02/22/17 07:54 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
j/c

Teams have vertical and horizontal draft boards. Teams also have a strategy or plan that is executed by the GM.

A team's draft board helps determine the strategy.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Okay Razor.........teams don't have Vertical and Horizontal boards.

I just need to remember not to try and answer questions when you and ed ask them.

There are 32 teams that all do it their own way. I am sure more than a few look at just more than picking player X at Y spot. They are going to go through a whole slew of many and different draft scenarios and situations.

Then again if they had drafted like I wanted to over the past 10 years our team would look a hell of a lot better than it does now LOL.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
...If he was around 315 with that kind of speed and explosion I'd say he was special. I think his true value is as a 3-4 DE of course we just left that D scheme...lol
Why do you think Allen is a better fit for a 34? He's much closer to the proto-type for 3-tech/43 DT then he is for a 5-tech/34 DL

E
Legend
Legend
E
Never mind I will not play this silly STAT game with you. I'm talking football and mentioned his combine numbers to show he was faster and more explosive then Allen coming into the draft.

donald going at 13 means there were about 8 dumb teams.

Allen projection has nothing to do who is better coming out...that is the silly part of this discussion.

By my accounts I am not basing my opinion on STATS alone...I got football as a BIG VARIABLE...your attempt to discredit me is a lame move.

there is only ONE PLAYER ONE AND TWO in this discussion.

Donald and Allen
All the other stuff is just garbage and irrelevant.

Sorry I don't wish to be mean but you are insulted and are grasping for straws making your points just not credible. I would stop if I were you...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You know the combine hasn't happened yet?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo
...If he was around 315 with that kind of speed and explosion I'd say he was special. I think his true value is as a 3-4 DE of course we just left that D scheme...lol
Why do you think Allen is a better fit for a 34? He's much closer to the proto-type for 3-tech/43 DT then he is for a 5-tech/34 DL

Because he can pass rush and contain the edge in a 3-4. He has bigger responsibilities there that he can do.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'm not insulted, not at all just saying that measurables are NOT everything which is kinda what you were saying. Gave you an example of that, that's all. Anybody who says that measurables will show up on the field, which is exactly what you said, and doesn't take into account a kids will, desire, and want is the one who is not credible.

I only used stats to back up my point, showing you that the player with the better combine numbers was not the better player on the field, again just what you said, Kawaan Short was the better player on the field not Shariff Floyd.

Not trying to discredit anything, just don't look at measurables as a defining factor in a guys ability to play football, to be honest I didn't think you'd be the type who would.

Last edited by dean_fairchild; 02/23/17 01:31 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just one point on measureables They don't show up on the field cause of the measureables they comply with the measureables what is shown on the field. Not everyone with the Measureables will produce.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

mac #1235584 02/23/17 05:26 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
There are also some players that play better when it's game time and the adrenaline is pumping. They seldom do well for drills where there is no live action supplying them with adrenaline.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Not everyone with the Measureables will produce.

This was, right here was my exact point I was trying to make.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: edromeo

Because he can pass rush and contain the edge in a 3-4. He has bigger responsibilities there that he can do.
I think he could play 5-tech also but a 5-tech typically has more length because they are often asked to play 2-gaps. 3-tech is all about getting upfield penetration and pass rush and that's Allen strength. And from a physical build standpoint he's again much closer to the prototype 3-tech then 5-tech.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Watch him drop.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watch him drop.

Without some scandal, injury or some kind of freakout at QB, he won't drop lower than top 3.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We'll see.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Watch him drop.

Without some scandal, injury or some kind of freakout at QB, he won't drop lower than top 3.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Watch him drop.

LOL, exactly!

mac #1235668 02/23/17 09:57 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Vers...

I don't know if he'll get by Jacksonville at 4. If he does, anyone from 5-11 could take him, if not, for some reason, he'd be there at 12 for us. Would you take him at 12, assuming no Garrapolo trade with that pick?

Last edited by dean_fairchild; 02/23/17 09:58 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh, I don't think he'll last that long.

He's a good, solid player and I think he might slip a bit because he doesn't "flash" as much as some others. But, I could be dead wrong. It's just an opinion and not a strong one, at that.

mac #1235678 02/23/17 10:29 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If leonard williams can drop so can Allen. Williams>Allen

mac #1235695 02/23/17 11:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In my opinion Allen> Williams or Buckner or Armstead or a lot of others.

I am just wondering if Allen = Donald???

If we had a great edge rusher I would take Allen in a heartbeat.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I do not think Allen is close to Donald.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Myles Garrett....

Link Copied to Clipboard