Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
He's just betting on himself. Could be smart. If he goes for over 1,000 again, he'll likely earn a 3 yr 12mil per next offseason rather than 3 year 24 mil this year. Or, he could Get injured and make less next year.

Heard a rumor we didn't want to offer a 1 year deal, which is what he wanted.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I haven't seen a quote anywhere that proves we offered more than that.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/terrelle_pryor_visits_redskins.html

"Pryor's chances of returning to the Browns decreased dramatically when they signed receiver Kenny Britt to a four-year deal worth $32.5 million, including $17 million guaranteed."

"The $8.1 million a year was similar to the offer the Browns made Pryor, whose production in 2016 was nearly identical to Britt's with the Rams. In his first full season as a receiver, Pryor caught 77 passes for 1,007 yards and four TDs. Britt, 28, caught 68 passes for 1,002 yards and five TDs."

So Pryor gets $2 mill guaranteed vs $17 mill. Ouch.

Makes me think of Maurice Clarett.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
hehehe...and possibly to us.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
I think Rosenhaus filled his head with $15m per guarantees and told him to say the right things to the Cleveland media and then when the huge contract didn't get offered, they felt it was caving in if they stayed for less.

I guess, good luck in Washington. Cousins might be traded any minute.

I think Rosenhaus filled his head with thoughts of going to where he would be guaranteed to be the #1 target so that he can have a big year and hopefully hit a super-fat deal in 2018.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2nd String
2nd String
Umm not likely. That was the point of signing Britt I believe

Who let the Dawgs out???
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Do we now draft a WR in Rd. 1 or 2 ?

Deep WR class.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Pryor got $3 million to sign, $3 million salary, and $2 million in "easily attainable bonuses".

So if he gets hurt, he could see only $6 million.

He must have decided that he just didn't want to come back here, no matter what he said.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
He's just betting on himself. Could be smart. If he goes for over 1,000 again, he'll likely earn a 3 yr 12mil per next offseason rather than 3 year 24 mil this year. Or, he could Get injured and make less next year.

Heard a rumor we didn't want to offer a 1 year deal, which is what he wanted.

Which goes back to the market for him this year not being what they expected.... so, Rosenhaus changed the plans: rather than taking a longer deal anywhere, it was about placing him somewhere he could hopefully get showcased and have a stellar year so that they can cash in next offseason.

Pryor wasn't going to get showcased here, especially now that we have Britt. Add in that if Coleman starts to show up, and if Gordon comes back (big IF), suddenly he could be starved for touches which would kill any opportunities to cash in next year.

This was a straight-up long-term money move by him.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Do we now draft a WR in Rd. 1 or 2 ?

Deep WR class.

That's what I was thinking ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Terrelle Pryor joins Redskins, reportedly rejects bigger deal from Browns

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/terre...d-browns-031017

Pryor had said he wanted to stay in Cleveland and continue to play for coach Hue Jackson if the sides could agree on a long-term deal, but he turned down a multiyear deal and opted to take a one-year deal from Washington — and the opportunity to enter free agency again next year, Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio reports.

E
Legend
Legend
E
He was good but WR are easy to replace, so goodbye dude.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

In my opinion, most of the posters on this thread are sounding just like mac, except they have a polar opposite opinion on the matter.

Most are putting all the blame on Pryor and zero on the FO. That's as dumb as when mac was putting all the blame on the FO and none on Pryor.

What was it that I read over and over and over? Oh yeah, "it takes two."

I am a bottom line guy and I wish that the Browns and Pryor could have agreed on a contract. We would be a better team than we are now.

I don't have any inside knowledge and I am betting you guys don't either. Thus, it is rather ridiculous to put all the blame on one side or another.

Motto of this post: Don't be like mac. wink

E
Legend
Legend
E
Most are putting all the blame on Pryor and zero on the FO.

Come on Vers...point blank we made the best offer to him...out of 32 teams. HE CHOSE NOT TO SIGN...how is this our FO fault. What are we suppose to do OUT BID OURSELVES...I'm sure you would had given them a Pat on the back for that one....lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Terrelle Pryor joins Redskins, reportedly rejects bigger deal from Browns

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/terre...d-browns-031017

Pryor had said he wanted to stay in Cleveland and continue to play for coach Hue Jackson if the sides could agree on a long-term deal, but he turned down a multiyear deal and opted to take a one-year deal from Washington — and the opportunity to enter free agency again next year, Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio reports.

I think this is a better move for Rosenhaus than it is for Pryor. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not going to argue about it. I stated my opinion and I don't think anyone knows what was offered and when it was offered and how long the offer stood. It's just speculation based on some media reports.

I actually didn't have a problem at all w/your first post. I am just saying that putting all the blame on one side is unfair and illogical.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Daryl Ruiter‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN 7m7 minutes ago
More
People will blame #Browns for this one & not fair IMO; Was offered a Britt-type contract & they said no. So 1 year prove it deal it is.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
+1, why blame anyone, FO covered the hole with same player with MORE EXPERIENCE as WR...Pryor got what he wanted, FA experience....found out he wasn't worth what he was pedaling YET...one year deal, smart IF he produces....Lastly, it's a business, should we cry for him...How many of us are making 8 million this year....he took care of his family...good on him.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
I really wanna trade Brock to Washington for Cousins now.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
No big deal...just facts or Reports as you say all lead to the FO being ok on this one.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post. Why blame anyone is right.

At the end of the day, we are a worse team and that sucks. However, we have also helped ourselves in the last couple of days and that is great.

Can't win them all.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: eotab
No big deal...just facts or Reports as you say all lead to the FO being ok on this one.

tab...........I am NOT blaming the FO. <<sigh>>

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Imo, the FO messed this up by not protecting themselves with the Transition tag.

Either they didn't feel Pryor was worth the investment of the tag (basically wanted him, but wouldn't be devastated if he left), or they just made a big miscalculation on the negotiations.

The FO definitely deserves some blame here unless they just didn't see losing Pryor as a big deal, and if he goes to DC and tears it up that evaluation is very troubling as well.

The agent and player are going to do what is in their best interest......not the Browns. If he wants 12 million per and no one will give that to him right now why wouldn't he take a 1 year 8 million show me contract??? That way he can get his money next year. He doesn't want to get locked into a 4 year deal making 2-3 million per year less than he thinks he's worth.

I don't blame Pryor for doing what he thought was best for him. The FO on the other hand.......TBD.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab
Most are putting all the blame on Pryor and zero on the FO.

Come on Vers...point blank we made the best offer to him...out of 32 teams. HE CHOSE NOT TO SIGN...how is this our FO fault. What are we suppose to do OUT BID OURSELVES...I'm sure you would had given them a Pat on the back for that one....lol laugh

I don't know the details. No-one does. I agree that it's highly unlikely that 100% of the blame belongs to Pryor (or more accurately - pryor and his agent). . . . That said it appears that the Browns gave Pryor a fair offer.

Pryor will need to improve significantly to earn and recover what he lost out on this year. And he's got significant risk of not ever seeing what he was offered.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

Jordan Zirm Verified account
@clevezirm

Per Pro Football Talk, Pryor had a deal on the table with the Browns and walked away

Tweet

Receiver Terrelle Pryor apparently (not definitely, but apparently) could have had a multi-year deal worth $8 million annually in Cleveland. He has opted for a deal worth that amount in Washington, plus a chance to hit the market again next year.

Article

Legend
Legend
The Transition Tag for WRs was 12 million.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Now that Pryor is gone I think the next free agent receivers I'd consider are Kendall Wright and Vincent Jackson. I heard Jarvis Landry might be on the trade block - Al Saunders was key in his breakout season. Maybe he would be worth looking into trading for.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
While coach Hue Jackson is not planning to request the removal of top football man Sashi Brown, or the influential analytics department he has built, the sources said there will be a strong push to ownership to reconsider the flow chart. The coaches would like a proven, old-school talent evaluator involved in player selection to provide checks and balances with the current setup.
link

I'm sure the subject of having a more balanced front office will be come up again. Hue wanted Pryor signed, but for the 2nd year in a row, the analytics boys could not find the money to sign their own free agent.

Last year the Browns front office failed to reach agreement with any of their free agent starters leaving the coaching staff with four holes to fill as all four of the Browns free agents found teams willing to work out a deal with each.

I don't care who the head coach is, you can't build a winning team with a front office that is unwilling..or not capable of negotiating free agent contracts with their own free agents.

Last year, four other NFL front offices had the expertise and desire to work out acceptable deals with the Browns free agents. The most bizarre loss was RT, Mitch Schwartz, who wanted to play in Cleveland and returned to the Browns to accept their offer, when the Browns Harvard lawyer/GM pulled their offer and tried to low-ball Schwartz.

The Browns front office was given an "F" for their efforts in free agency a year ago...and one would think the Harvard lawyer learned something from his first year, attempting to be a NFL caliber GM.

From the article excerpt from the above article, Hue Jackson asked the owner and GM for the addition of an experienced football evaluator to be added to front office. Jackson request was ignored and once again, the Browns Harvard lawyer/GM failed to get a key free agent signed, even though Jackson told management he wanted the Browns top WR resigned.

This is the kind of situation that drives a wedge between the front office and the Headcoach...and usually these disagreements do not end well for the front office.

This is the second year in a row that our Harvard lawyer/GM could not get the job done and failed to get a valuable team member that the HC wanted.

I seriously doubt that this front office remains as is another season and it would be much better for the franchise if changes were made in the front office.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know. That is basically my point.....the Browns didn't feel losing Pryor was a devastating blow to the team or they would have done that. Goodness they just dropped 16 million for a 2nd round pick for Christ sakes.

If he studs out then the FO missed this one, and if he doesn't then no big deal. We will see I guess.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
I don't think that there is any blame to be assigned, really.

You have two parties that both did what they thought was their best option - they just didn't match up.

Beyond that, however, it doesn't hurt to analyze what those views of their best option were.

The Browns didn't want a 1-year rental, they wanted to lock him up long-term.

Pryor, seeing that he wasn't going to cash-in the way he & Rosenhaus expected, was looking for a 1-year deal to hopefully cash-in next year. Even IF we gave him that 1-year, his targets here were going to be limited compared to with the Skins where is likely to be the #1 target... so, he gets to pad his stats and head into FA next offseason primed (theoretically) to cash-in as a more polished receiver.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmm.........sounds like he is betting on himself.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I really wanna trade Brock to Washington for Cousins now.

It would be kinda funny if that happened .... and the DC re-signed RG3. shocked

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My feeling is that Pryor will out after next year, no matter how he does, no one is going to give him 10+ mil a yr. There will be WR out there with better numbers and less age that will be getting less. Pryor just got greedy, but thats up to him.
Vers. I don't think were that much worse off. We got WR's.
Just need to step up.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
E
Legend
Legend
E
mac...you realize that article is old news???I'm sure you did...never mind.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Hmmmm.........sounds like he is betting on himself.

That's my thought too.

Plus, he went to DC, where he'll, presumably, have Cousins throwing passes his way, instead of the revolving door he had in Cleveland. It seems that once he found out that he wasn't going to get that huge deal he wanted, he decided to bet on himself for a year.

I can respect that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not going to argue about it. I stated my opinion and I don't think anyone knows what was offered and when it was offered and how long the offer stood. It's just speculation based on some media reports.

I actually didn't have a problem at all w/your first post. I am just saying that putting all the blame on one side is unfair and illogical.

It sounds like we were still open to signing Pryor right up until he signed with the Redskins, HOWEVER, I do wonder what the conversation was about a one year contract was?

We were right about not paying him $13 mil with such a small body of work to look at. No other team would either. If that is what we were telling him, then why not offer a 1 year deal? Maybe we did. I don't know. Maybe he was so upset that we wouldn't pay him $13 mil or that we signed Britt that he wasn't going to play for us at all.

It's hard to know who messed up in this case, but knowing Drew, I am pretty certain that he didn't help the situation.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Ok mac lets hear it ..

marc...so you believe the Browns are a better team without Pryor?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just to nit pick: 12.8 million almost 13 mil.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: mac
Ok mac lets hear it ..

marc...so you believe the Browns are a better team without Pryor?

I wish he was here but we were 1-15 with him (not all his fault) and yes i believe 2017 will be better than 2016 ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

All I know is a Franchise QB would make all our WRs better as long as they run good routes and show very good hands.

don't forget about our 3 midround picks. Louis, Higgins, and Payton. But you know what the kid that is going to surprise us all and you heard it first here is.

Rannel Hall!!!

WRs come from everywhere heck look where Pryor came from.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pryor signs with Redskins

Link Copied to Clipboard