Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Marines have arrived in Syria to fire artillery in the fight for Raqqa

Marines from an amphibious task force have left their ships in the Middle East and deployed to Syria, establishing an outpost from which they can fire artillery in support of the fight to oust the Islamic State from the northern Syrian city of Raqqa, defense officials said.

The deployment marks a new escalation in the U.S. war in Syria, and puts more conventional U.S. troops in the battle. Several hundred Special Operations troops have advised local forces there for months, but the Pentagon has mostly shied away from using conventional forces in Syria. The new mission comes as the Trump administration weighs a plan to help Syrian rebels take back Raqqa, the de facto capital of the Islamic State. The plan also includes more Special Operations troops and attack helicopters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/chec...m=.e0d8881835e2

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Prayers that all our boys come home safe

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for them all ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes God bless them all.

This is the capitol of the Islamic State.(ISIS)

Resistance will be tough.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Part of an article on how al-Assad feels;

(CNN) -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad scoffed and questioned US actions in Syria, calling American troops deploying to the country "invaders" because he hadn't given permission for them to enter the country and saying there's been no "concrete action" from the Trump administration toward ISIS.

"Any foreign troops coming to Syria without our invitation or consultation or permission, they are invaders, whether they are American, Turkish, or any other one," Assad said.

"And we don't think this is going to help. What are they going to do? To fight ISIS? The Americans lost nearly every war. They lost in Iraq, they had to withdraw at the end. Even in Somalia, let alone Vietnam in the past and Afghanistan, your neighboring country. They didn't succeed anywhere they sent troops, they only create a mess; they are very good in creating problems and destroying, but they are very bad in finding solutions."

The Syrian leader made the comments in an interview with Chinese media outlet Phoenix TV. It was published on Syria's state-news agency SANA on Saturday.

US Marines have arrived in northern Syria with artillery to support US-backed local forces fighting there, US officials said. The US-backed fighters are preparing to move in the coming weeks to assault the city of Raqqa, ISIS' self-declared capital, according to the officials.

The Pentagon and the Marine Corps have declined to confirm the deployment because of security concerns in the region. They have also declined to specify the exact location of the forces or how many are there.

The US has also deployed approximately 100 Army Rangers in and around Manbij, Syria.

US officials have taken the unusual step of publicly talking about the Ranger deployment and where they are located to protect against them inadvertently coming under fire from forces fighting in the region or Turkish, Russian or Syrian forces.

The US troops in Manbij are trying to deter hostilities due to their visible presence, rather than the typical mission of training, advising and assisting local forces.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/11/middleeast/syria-conflict-isis-us-military/index.html

Legend
Legend
Hope them guys go out there and dominate

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Hope them guys go out there and dominate

Of this I have no doubt.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Assad may find we end up shooting the "ad" off of his name.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
What a weird situation.

You need a scorecard.

Let's see, four players:

The Syrian Government
Syrian Rebels
ISIS
The U.S.

Deal the cards.

from left seated: ISIS, U.S., Rebels, Assad

Last edited by rockyhilldawg; 03/11/17 05:51 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes but you missed a few...

Turkey
Russia
Kurds
Sunnis

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was listening to a retired General and he feels we need to align ourselves with the Syrian Rebels, Sunnis and Turkey while ignoring
the Kurds, Russians and Syrian Army.

Then, once victorious the US and Turks need to pull out and go home,
leaving the Rebels and Sunnis in control.

Legend
Legend
Why would we ignore the Kurds, one of our biggest supporters in the region?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Why would we ignore the Kurds, one of our biggest supporters in the region?

We love them Kurds! They fight ISIS like no one else!

BUT

Turkey hates the Kurds, the Kurds hate Turkey, so we would end up bringing the Kurds in while Turkey is bombing their ass.

Not good. Kurds gotta sit this one out.

Legend
Legend
Our, your boy could dialogue with turkey and tell erdogan to put a pause to his shenanigans until after ISIS is defeated.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Oh, forgot to mention...

The citizens of Raqqa hate the Kurds. Don't want them anywhere near the city.

And... We can't work with the Russians on this because they are working hand in hand with Iran, who everyone hates!

Interested to see how my boy pulls this one off. Very complicated.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 03/11/17 06:41 PM.
Legend
Legend
It's complicated for sure. But one thing Trump needs to make sure he doesn't do is alienate the few allies we have in that region. We are gonna need their help. This is a battle of hearts and minds, not who has the biggest bombs.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree and this is why we are working closely with Turkey, I hope anyway. We will see how it all develops.

Legend
Legend
Honestly bro I don't think Erdogan is all that concerned with ISIS, even after these recent ISIS claimed attacks in that country. Dude seems more interested in gaining power, and that's sad.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree with that 100 percent.

I think Erdogan cares about Erdogan first, Turkey second.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
As much confidence as I have in my fellow Marines and artillery men (that was my MOS) to get the job done, I wonder how wise it is to be going in there with so many different people you're trying to keep happy.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Yea bro there's so many different agendas going on in Syria, it's ridiculous.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Don't ya wish the world had leaders that were genuinely interested in serving their populations?

Oh to bring George Washington back from the dead...

my two cents...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That is the way of the Middle East and if we want to destroy ISIS we are gonna have to make these things work, diplomatically. Our exit will be just as important as our entry.

We all know what happens if you leave a void and go home.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Not to be TOO much of a patriotic homer, but I just don't understand why other countries don't look at our system of government (it's only been in place for 200+ years) and want to try to emulate that.

my two cents...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Not to be TOO much of a patriotic homer, but I just don't understand why other countries don't look at our system of government (it's only been in place for 200+ years) and want to try to emulate that.

My Opinion, we are very very blessed and lucky that it worked for us through it all. Not easy for others to emulate and be successful.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope they all come home safe and sound.

So sick of sending our boys over there. Personally I would drag a tarp over the entire middle east and fumigate it like a cockroach infestation. There will NEVER be peace in that region. NEVER.

Legend
Legend
people around the world don't view our system as the best. a lot of people in their country think their system is the best. it is what it is.

now, you won't get any argument out of me with regards to comparing our system to most nations in the middle east. as far as i'm concerned that's not even up for debate.

but the system has to be tailor made for the people in that country/region. unfortunately, for them to model their system after ours, that means pulling religion out of it.

for example, Turkey has a secular government. but that doesn't stop asshats like Erdogan from trying to change the constitution in an attempt to gain more power, and have more religious influence in the area.

it gets sloppy really quick.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
If they would only do it MY WAY everything would be just fine! grin

my two cents...
O
Legend
Legend
O

That's how Trump thinks too! But he is POTUS...

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

That's how Trump thinks too! But he is POTUS...

Yeah, but I was talkin' about me... grin

my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have never served in the military so I wont claim any kind of great understanding of military strategy.

But, with all of our tech, why do we need to put soldiers in danger? Why cant we just blast them from a distance?

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Thats what the Arty is for . Less expensive than drone strikes I would imagine plus the benefit of having boots on the ground shows we have a little more skin in the game . Shows commitment to both friend and foe . Imo there are a ton of things that can go wrong which would lead to an escalation and with some other big hitters involved ( Russia) this could go to hell in a hurry .

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
I have never served in the military so I wont claim any kind of great understanding of military strategy.

But, with all of our tech, why do we need to put soldiers in danger? Why cant we just blast them from a distance?

Troops on the ground can be looking over a target when they call in artillery. Limits civilian casualties. Missiles can't hold ground once it is taken, boots do that.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: IRE 45
Imo there are a ton of things that can go wrong which would lead to an escalation and with some other big hitters involved ( Russia) this could go to hell in a hurry .

You mean unforeseen things like this?...

Turkey’s president stood firm behind his blistering comments that accused the Dutch government of “Nazism and fascism” and vowed on Sunday the Netherlands would “pay the price” for barring Turkish ministers from the country, a move that has dramatically swelled tensions between the NATO allies.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/03/12/netherlands-ban-turkish-ministers-as-dispute-escalates.html

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I served in an artillery battery back in the 80's on an M198, we were so fast on a rapid fire mission we'd have the third round out the tube before the first one hit when doing a multiple round fire mission, that we were close enough to see the target.

And everything was done manually.

Put the round in the tube, take the ram rod and ram it into place, place the powder charge in the breech, close it, place the igniter thing (I forget what that was called) in the place where it goes, attach the laniard, pull the chord.

Repeat 2X.

Semper Fi.

my two cents...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
thumbsup

We may have a job for you. wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: IRE 45
Thats what the Arty is for . Less expensive than drone strikes I would imagine plus the benefit of having boots on the ground shows we have a little more skin in the game . Shows commitment to both friend and foe . Imo there are a ton of things that can go wrong which would lead to an escalation and with some other big hitters involved ( Russia) this could go to hell in a hurry .
I read your post like 5 times trying to figure out eho who Arty is smile

But 1 dead American soldier is 500X more expensive than any drone or missile on earth

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My best friends Dad was in Artillery during the Korean War, he told the story of when the Chinese attacked.

Blowing horns and screaming they came in waves.

He said his battery had their barrels level and they fired as fast as they could, directly into the advancing Chinese. He said the shrapnel returning from their own shells exploding so close had flattened the tires on their cannons and the only thing that saved their lives were those metal flanges sticking our of the side of the cannons.
Brutal.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
My best friends Dad was in Artillery during the Korean War, he told the story of when the Chinese attacked.

Blowing horns and screaming they came in waves.

He said his battery had their barrels level and they fired as fast as they could, directly into the advancing Chinese. He said the shrapnel returning from their own shells exploding so close had flattened the tires on their cannons and the only thing that saved their lives were those metal flanges sticking our of the side of the cannons.
Brutal.

Damn...

my two cents...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Marines arrive in Syria

Link Copied to Clipboard