Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Well, well...this seems worth sharing.

Quote:
Browns EVP Sashi Brown on Josh Gordon: We’re not in position at wide receiver to turn down a guy like Josh if we feel he’s settled himself.

https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/847102221296709632

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Quote:
Browns EVP Sashi Brown on Josh Gordon: We’re not in position at wide receiver to turn down a guy like Josh if we feel he’s settled himself.

but we're in a position to not offer Pryor $10 mil / per.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
This could simply be trying to up value on Gordon for a trade.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P

Quote:

Best Scenario: Reinstatement and JG returns to his 2013 form ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok, I can't let this go unchecked. First off, Pryor DID NOT want to be here. He did not want to sign a Multi-year contract. He wanted a one year show me deal, and he did not want it here. Okay?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
Ok, I can't let this go unchecked. First off, Pryor DID NOT want to be here. He did not want to sign a Multi-year contract. He wanted a one year show me deal, and he did not want it here. Okay?

Yeah, I've seen stuff that he wanted out too. Not sure how true it is, but it's out there.

GM said the same thing and I think he has some "ins" with the Browns too, no?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
well, the sentiments regarding Josh have certainly changed, regardless of the motivation

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gm has in's and out and all abouts grin

That's where I'm getting this from. Didn't want to sign here didn't want to be here

#GMSTRONG

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Didn't want to sign here didn't want to be here

I disagree. I fully believe he wanted to be here. Under his terms. For far more money than his proven worth. But he wanted to be here. Who wouldn't? Just ask Dwayne Bowe. (Easy B&Gs, I'm not comparing Bowe and Pryor's skill set. Simply pointing out the fleecings that have occurred in the past.) As much as I wanted Pryor here, I think the FO got this one right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Josh Gordon is in my musebox.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Quote:

Keep in mind, nobody else offered Pryor that much either. he settled for 8 mill on a one year deal.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't believe that for a minute. Dude was looking to sign anywhere but here. Washington was the only one that was close to us, and that's a stretch. Over 2+ mill shy of what we offered. GM said he did not want to be hear, and guess what? He's not.

#GMSTRONG

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He settled for 6 mil. Getting the other 2 will take big numbers than last year.

Last edited by bleednbrown; 03/29/17 11:57 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Quote:

Keep in mind, nobody else offered Pryor that much either. he settled for 8 mill on a one year deal.

He settled for a $6 million deal, with $2 million in additional unlikely to be earned incentives. He bet on himself big. Unless he has a top 10 season, he's not going to make that full $8 million.

He also bet that he won't get hurt. He could have had a sizable signing bonus with the Browns, but really wanted $12 million/year, and a lot of money up front.

I think that I still would have paid him that, as opposed to having to rely upon Gordon for anything. Josh Gordon has been reliable about one thing only, ad that's being unreliable. I get that maybe the Browns want other teams to think that he is important to us, and that we might keep him ...... but I see no logical reason to expect that Gordon will have changed his life and mindset so completely, that he can handle being an NFL player, and a rich young man, without screwing up yet again.

Last time Gordon was trying to get his life in order, he was working at a dealership. I wonder if he's been working at anything since his latest suspension?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Guess I wasn't aware the 2 mill was some kind of bonus... Anyway, Jackson or Brown or maybe it was Haslam in an article from the meetings yesterday stated that Pryor was offered a multi year deal here and he chose to move on.

As some point, you just have to walk away from a player. Not sure what that point was this time, but apparently the Browns hit it.

It could be that Pryor wanted a lot because he didn't see a QB in the mix that he liked. Who knows.

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/29/17 01:34 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
yeah, it seemed like a game of chicken ... TP wanted more, we were firm at our number. He tested FA (was spurned) and probably had too big of an ego to crawl back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
1) Sashi is correct. Very true statement.

2) Won't waste my time commenting on Pryor.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It still was not a bright decision for both sides in my opinion.

If his agent went to the Browns asking for the same 1 year deal, they should have signed it in a heartbeat. It puts all the risk on him and gives them a chance to negotiate with him for another year if he improves. (I don't know if his agent asked specifically and Drew was unlikely to negotiate during the year anyway, but still if the they asked for the same, we should have jumped on it.)

He would have got a much better one year deal if he just waited and let the FA WR market dry up a bit. Signing a 1 year deal for less per year then a multi-year deal that was already on the table was just stupid.

The guy should really fire his agent because his agent did him no favors.

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 03/29/17 01:13 PM.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Won't waste my time commenting on Pryor.

Any further . . . wink

Legend
Legend

Quote:

Whatever. Josh will get suspended again and we'll look like idiots again.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

We always have a good shot at looking like idiots. We look like idiots if he goes to another team and succeeds, too.

If we give him another chance while proceeding as if he's not on the team, I have no problem with it.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Here we go again! Stating opinions as facts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Guess I wasn't aware the 2 mill was some kind of bonus... Anyway, Jackson or Brown or maybe it was Haslam in an article from the meetings yesterday stated that Gordon was offered a multi year deal here and he chose to move on.

As some point, you just have to walk away from a player. Not sure what that point was this time, but apparently the Browns hit it.

It could be that Pryor wanted a lot because he didn't see a QB in the mix that he liked. Who knows.

Is that a typo? Should it be Pryor?

#GMSTRONG

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How's it opinion? Ask GM, he's in touch. Guess you missed the part of He's Not Here? Must Be So.

#GMSTRONG

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's GM's opinion, as well.

I just wish that people would stop stating opinions as facts. Especially, when it comes to challenging another person's opinion, like you did w/steve.

Just let it go..........

Legend
Legend
GM is probably more well connected to players and some administrative types as anyone is. I don't know if he knows Sashi or Hue, or not, but he knows a lot of people inside Berea HQ.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know that, YTown. However, do you really think that GM had an actual conversation w/Pryor? Or, do you think someone w/the Browns may have told him that Pryor didn't want to be here?

Why can't people just let it go? He's gone. I get tired of the blame game.

Legend
Legend
[quote=Damanshot]Guess I wasn't aware the 2 mill was some kind of bonus... Anyway, Jackson or Brown or maybe it was Haslam in an article from the meetings yesterday stated that Gordon was offered a multi year deal here and he chose to move on.

LOL yup,, it's a brain typo... Nice Catch. thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
No GM in the league is gonna let that kind of talent walk, unless they are already set at that position.

It's why the jaguars waited so long until they finally cut Justin Blackmon, and that dude is waaay worse than anything we're dealing with Flash over.

So it makes sense that they would change their tune, especially if there's a decent shot of him being reinstated. We still have him for what? 2 more years?

All he has to do (lol, I know) is stay clean and ball out these next two years, and he's gonna get paid.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Why can't people just let it go? He's gone. I get tired of the blame game.

You mean like when you bring up Alex Mack and Mitchell Schwartz leaving all the time?

That kind of "letting it go" and "blame game"?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm glad that the FO isn't turning this into an emotional decision. Even if they're only trying to drive up his value, I like this statement by Sashi.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Quote:

9 times out of 10, we don't don't need Josh, or anyone else, for that. We do it quite well all on our own. Beyond that, giving Gordon a chance and allowing him to fail doesn't make anyone look like an idiot - except Josh, and then, only if he once again fails to take serious the opportunity being offered.

As for "not offering Pryor eleventy billion dollars"... nobody in their right mind should have, or would have, upped the offer we already had on the table. He's a rare athlete with lots of potential, but until/unless he makes some big leaps, he's still just an eminently replaceable WR as everything currently stands. Folks just need to get over it with him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

He didn't want a multi year deal at $8 million per.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns EVP on Josh Gordon: We're not in position at wide receiver to turn down a guy like Josh

PHOENIX, AZ ESPN.com · 1 hour ago

Takeaways from Day 3 at NFL owners meetings …

1. Flash Gordon: The first sign that the Browns might welcome back serial suspended receiver Josh Gordon yet again – if he is ever reinstated by the NFL – came from Sashi Brown, executive vice president of football operations. Speaking to Northeast Ohio reporters in a courtyard inside the Arizona Biltmore, Brown was asked if the free agency defection of Terrelle Pryor has changed the Browns’ view of Gordon. “No,” Brown said. “Listen, assuming he would play at the level we started to see glimpses of last preseason and certainly in the league before, [Gordon] would be a talent I think no team in the NFL would turn down if he got back in. Our decision with Josh is just understanding where he is in this process and being able to have him. We’re not in position at wide receiver to turn down a guy like Josh if we feel he’s settled himself. Josh is going to have an opportunity to reapply to the NFL and at that time we’ll make a decision when we know what’s going on.”

2. More Gordon: Gordon last played for the Browns in Game 15 of the 2014 season. He was suspended for 30 of his last 35 games, was conditionally reinstated by the NFL for the 2016 training camp, and then checked himself into a rehab center the day before being cleared to practice for the regular season on Oct. 9. Gordon recently reapplied for another reinstatement by the NFL – unbeknownst to the Browns, according to owner Jimmy Haslam – and has recently posted images of himself showing the effects of a new training program. When Gordon missed his opportunity last year to rejoin the team, coach Hue Jackson said,"What's best for our football team is that we move forward and move on. He's not going to be with us and we wish him well, but we're moving forward. We're going to move on.'' But that was then and this is now. Brown said, “There’s some understanding and compassion and empathy for Josh, or sympathy, but at the same time we do have to focus on the guys on the roster. I think that was the nature of Hue’s comments.” Keep in mind two things: 1. The Browns have no insight on the status of Gordon’s reinstatement, and 2. If they ever have a chance to decide his roster fate, it will be Brown to make that call. “We’re rooting for Josh to get himself to a place where he can rejoin the league, and in the meantime kind of straighten out any other things in his life that might be independent of that, or anything else,” Brown said. “We’ll take it step by step. We really have very little insight into what the league provides. Once we get some indication of what’s going to happen, then we’ll make that decision.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/...a-guy-like-josh

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
No GM in the league is gonna let that kind of talent walk, unless they are already set at that position.

It's why the jaguars waited so long until they finally cut Justin Blackmon, and that dude is waaay worse than anything we're dealing with Flash over.

So it makes sense that they would change their tune, especially if there's a decent shot of him being reinstated. We still have him for what? 2 more years?

All he has to do (lol, I know) is stay clean and ball out these next two years, and he's gonna get paid.

That's funny Swish, I think the Browns have been consistent concerning Gordon all along. They've never really made remarks in the negative about him.

Sportscasters have, but not the official browns mouths.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
Gordon at this point is gravy, if he's here great, we have a top 5 wr, if he's not we aren't missing anything. To the Vs pryor conversation...its a nonstarter.. Pryor isn't even in the same universe as a WR to compare him to Gordon is silly

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I agree. If Gordon is straightened out he can immediately make us better. I like how the FO is handling this. It's becoming a habit - seems like we finally have some cohesion and folk pulling in the same direction. Good luck Josh whatever happens smile

Legend
Legend
It seems we finally have some people that don't make knee-jerk reaction decisions and don't make decisions based upon popular opinion.

I almost don't know how to feel about this.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
We still need to draft well but I'm pulling for them - I really like what we've done and more importantly HOW we've done it to date. If we can convert 15 of the picks from last year, this year and next and they become good to great starting quality players, we're on our way. We deserve some luck.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon News, Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard