Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How can anyone justify drafting a QB with 13 College starts at #1 .. Look I like Trib but there is no rational for that !

Legend
Legend
the only way I'll "accept" our decision is if we get a ton of picks in order to move out of #1. If we don't think Garrett is a franchise pass rusher, fine. But then get a boatload of assets in return.

If we simply draft Trubisky at #1 I'll be angry. To the point I may just give up

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
All pre draft BS - Sports Journalist have to write about something.

Look I'm sure we are listening to all offers so your Schefter and others here we are listening, talking...and then they let their imagination run.

Its common sense we will listen. If somebody in the top 10 gives us a boat load of return so they can move up and take Garrett we just might take that offer! All this we will take a QB or RB is just silly talk.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
realistically, which teams in the top 10 would want to move up to #1? And what would we accept in return?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
It would have to be their top 10 pick plus their 2nd rounder and their 2018 first round pick...AT THE LEAST.
That is where we would seriously be thinking of the trade out of #1 nothing short of that.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
In some cases, I believe the rumors are started by the Browns front office.

It can be a good maneuver by the Browns FO, in an attempt to generate discussion and/or gauge interest in the Browns #1 pick..floating a "trial balloon" is common practice in politics and can be useful to see if any teams might be interested in a trade up to the #1 spot.

It does not mean the Browns are going to trade the #1 pick...it's just a fishing trip to see if there is any interest in trading up.

As someone pointed out, everything has a price..if a team goes crazy jumping at the offer, willing to make a Ricky Williams type offer, we would listen. It would take an overwhelming offer to pass on Garrett, imo.

Last edited by mac; 04/12/17 10:45 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
realistically, which teams in the top 10 would want to move up to #1? And what would we accept in return?

I think a lot of teams would want Garrett.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
In some cases, I believe the rumors are started by the Browns front office.

It can be a good maneuver by the Browns FO, in an attempt to generate discussion and/or gauge interest in the Browns #1 pick..floating a "trial balloon" is common practice in politics and can be useful to see if any teams might be interested in a trade up to the #1 spot.

It does not mean the Browns are going to trade the #1 pick...it's just a fishing trip to see if there is any interest in trading up.

As someone pointed out, everything has a price..if a team goes crazy jumping at the offer, willing to make a Ricky Williams type offer, we would listen. It would take an overwhelming offer to pass on Garrett, imo.

I think that's a very likely possibility.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good post mac, and I agree.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Interesting take by a real scout:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27027...paign=editorial

Hue versus Sashi about a quarterback mmmm.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
because there are a large number of analysts scouts and coaches who think Deshaun Watson is a bona fide QB.

Who?

I know his college coach. Billy Joe Jim Bob, or whoever, said as much. Pretty much said the same things about Watson as he did about Tajh Boyd when he came out.

But who else is in this "large number"?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think a lot of teams would want Garrett.
I think all 31 would, but would they want him THAT badly? like to give up what it would cost?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They can accumulate picks from now until doomsday but if you NEVER select any impactful football players their doomsday and this franchises as well will be nigh...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Interesting take by a real scout:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27027...paign=editorial

Hue versus Sashi about a quarterback mmmm.

Thanks for sharing ... Good read from a pro ....

Not even a little surprised if Sashi and Hue clash on what to spend on a QB .... QB's NEVER fit well into moneyball or analytics ... hopefully I'm wrong here and Sashi gives in ... there's proof from FA he is willing to do that ... NO WAY Zietler or Trottier made moneyball or analytical sense ... NO WAY .... thats a good sign ... U can also throw the offers to the safeties that were the best out there and the offer to Pryor witch we think was the best out there ....

Those are GREAT SIGNS .... now we just gotta pray they can evaluate talent ...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
NO WAY Zietler or Trottier made moneyball or analytical sense ... NO WAY

Or they know it is impossible to properly value offensive linemen coming out of college and wanted to sign known entities.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's not about "giving in" to one side. It's about being on the same damn page, which may actually be working here in Cleveland for once. I agree the Zietler deal isn't much an analytical one, and more of what Hue knows from his time in Cincy-- that, and he is a damn good guard. Trotter, I don't know.

The Osweiler deal was a deal that falls more in in line with the FO approach.

What an interesting thought.....coaches and FO working together during FA. Or even better, analytics, as to quote Podesta, Sashi (or both), "a tool" to complement the football people and their decision process. No one "giving in", just on the same page....hopefully.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
Same... I am going to be cursing up a storm if we take Trub at 1. I get it if we trade down, I would be upset but if we get great value it's an easier pill to swallow.

I don't want my house destroyed, please don't pick Trub. I beg you Brown's front office.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IMO, the Tretter deal probably was analytical ... I mean, it was a gamble due to his health, but he's young, versatile, and has not reached his potential. If he works out, it's a great deal.

Plus, we knew getting OL in FA is the best approach. They're known quantities and this year's draft is heavy in DB and pass rush .. we'll go heavy there

Legend
Legend

Starting to look like the Browns will take Garrett then try to work a trade in front of the Bills to get Trubisky.

That means a deal with the Bengals. It would take the equivalent of a later third rounder to move to that spot. Which is doable.

I am still hoping for a deal on Garoppolo and believe that it is still possible. But you have to have and plan B and C.

Plan B I believe is moving ahead of the Bills for Trubisky.

Plan C is Mahomes later in round one.

Legend
Legend
Based on Mike Greenberg, who is diehard NYJ fan ... he said they'd take Trubisky if he's there. So we'd have to probably get in front of them to be safe

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Starting to look like the Browns will take Garrett then try to work a trade in front of the Bills to get Trubisky.

That means a deal with the Bengals. It would take the equivalent of a later third rounder to move to that spot. Which is doable.

I am still hoping for a deal on Garoppolo and believe that it is still possible. But you have to have and plan B and C.

Plan B I believe is moving ahead of the Bills for Trubisky.

Plan C is Mahomes later in round one.

I really do think a trade up for Trubisky is in the cards. I think the team could be Tennessee just in case the Browns think NYJ likes someone.

I don't see the Bengals trading with Cleveland to potentially hand them over a possible franchise QB. But, you never know.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you are trading pack into the top five to take Trubisky, you should just take him at #1.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, trading up for Trub is dumb IMO. In fact, I wouldn't take him at 12, nor would I take Watson, Mahomes, Webb, etc. I don't like any of the QBs. I want to take the best play maker at 1, 12, 33, etc. Just load up our talent

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed. Don't see Trub getting past the Jets at six, so it would have to me the Titans, IMO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
If you are trading pack into the top five to take Trubisky, you should just take him at #1.

Just the idea smacks of desperation, and while we may be desperate, it's not the time to act desperately.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

Just the idea smacks of desperation, and while we may be desperate, it's not the time to act desperately.

This is when I'm glad we have someone like DePodesta in the front office. It's all about process with him, there is no desperation. Try to make the correct decision every time and don't let the noise affect you.

Legend
Legend
the idea of staying at 1, passing on Garrett, and taking Trubisky makes me ill

P
Legend
Legend
P

If their plan is to draft Trubisky they won't take him @ 1 they will trade down within the top 5 ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

If their plan is to draft Trubisky they won't take him @ 1 they will trade down within the top 5 ... JMHO

Why is this your opinion?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I mean, if they view him as the answer at QB. Sure shot, franchise guy ... then you take him at #1 and don't risk anything. What if you trade back to #4 and the Jets jump you? Or trade back to #3 and the Bills jump you?

IMO, you don't trade back to take Trub (or any QB)

M
Legend
Legend
M

I don't think this is necessarily true. I think the Browns brass could think there is a legit chance they can land both. I think it's is easier to draft Garrett #1 and then trade for Trubisky than to draft Trubisky and trade up for Garrett.

I think the Browns love Garrett but recognize they accumulated enough assets to move up still and get Mitch.

Essentially, to have your cake and eat it too.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
For all those asking, my #Browns source today still says Garrett.

So...

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/852210934777094146

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Smoke and mirrors.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I think it's is easier to draft Garrett #1 and then trade for Trubisky than to draft Trubisky and trade up for Garrett.

I don't believe anyone would dispute that statement, Memphis. However, what if they did select Trub at #1 and then traded back up, but not for Garrett, perhaps Barnett or Thomas (which would cost them less in picks)?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm not sure that would cost them less picks. Barnett & Thomas could easily be selected in the same range if the Browns did want to move back up.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
NO WAY Zietler or Trottier made moneyball or analytical sense ... NO WAY

Or they know it is impossible to properly value offensive linemen coming out of college and wanted to sign known entities.

Along the same vein....

Quote:
NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said one NFL coach he talked to called this o-line draft crop worst in 15 years.

https://twitter.com/pdomo/status/852214041741332480

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
yeah, it was smart to sign FA OL this year ... it's a bad, bad class

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I'm not sure that would cost them less picks. Barnett & Thomas could easily be selected in the same range if the Browns did want to move back up.

"Assuming" then that Garrett would go at #2, both Thomas and Barnett would fall a bit, perhaps in the 4-8 range. I would expect Thomas to go a (very) few spots before Barnett. Obviously it will cost more to get Garrett at #2 than the other two a few spots lower...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Browns Stun Draft -Take 5th rated QB over Consensus No 1 Pick Courtney Brown

NFL Draft Year 2000 - ROUND 1

SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 Cleveland Browns Tom Brady QB Michigan
2 Washington Redskins LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State
3 Washington Redskins Chris Samuels T Alabama
4 Cincinnati Bengals Peter Warrick WR Florida State
5 Baltimore Ravens Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee
6 Philadelphia Eagles Corey Simon DT Florida State
7 Arizona Cardinals Thomas Jones RB Virginia
8 Pittsburgh Steelers Plaxico Burress WR Michigan State
9 Chicago Bears Brian Urlacher MLB New Mexico
10 Baltimore Ravens Travis Taylor WR Florida
11 New York Giants Ron Dayne RB Wisconsin
12 New York Jets Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee
13 New York Jets John Abraham LB South Carolina
14 Green Bay Packers Bubba Franks TE Miami (Fla.)
15 Denver Broncos Deltha O'Neal CB California
16 San Francisco 49ers Julian Peterson OLB Michigan State
17 Oakland Raiders Sebastian Janikowski K Florida State
18 New York Jets Chad Pennington QB Marshall
19 Seattle Seahawks Shaun Alexander RB Alabama
20 Detroit Lions Stockar McDougle T Oklahoma
21 Kansas City Chiefs Sylvester Morris WR Jackson State
22 Seattle Seahawks Chris McIntosh T Wisconsin
23 Carolina Panthers Rashard Anderson FS Jackson State
24 San Francisco 49ers Ahmed Plummer CB Ohio State
25 Minnesota Vikings Chris Hovan DT Boston College
26 Buffalo Bills Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
27 New York Jets Anthony Becht TE West Virginia
28 Indianapolis Colts Rob Morris LB Brigham Young
29 Jacksonville Jaguars R.Jay Soward WR USC
30 Tennessee Titans Keith Bulluck LB Syracuse
31 St. Louis Rams Trung Canidate RB Arizona

What I KNOW... is that NO ONE one knows.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
From Erving Goffman's Strategic Intelligence:
Quote:
The more the observer relies on seeking out foolproof cues, the more vulnerable he should appreciate he has become to the exploitation of his efforts. For, after all, the most reliance-inspiring conduct on the subject’s part is exactly the conduct that it would be most advantageous for him to fake if he wanted to hoodwink the observer. The very fact that the observer finds himself looking to a particular bit of evidence as an incorruptible check on what is or might be corrupted is the very reason why he should be suspicious of this evidence; for the best evidence for him is also the best evidence for the subject to tamper with.

Browns are just trying to get people to think we're not into Garrett, but possibly their target. In the end I think we're gonna take Garrett, they just wanting to test the waters now.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Draft rumors flying about #1.

Link Copied to Clipboard