#5 Larry Ogunjobi - DT
#6 Howard Wilson - CB
#7 Roderick Johnson - OT
#8 Caleb Brantley - DT
#9 Zane Gonzalez - K
#10 Matthew Dayes, - RB
Is that about right? I did not think we would draft that many again

Edit: add positions
And Thats the Way It Is. Browns Draft 2017!

Last edited by bleednbrown; 04/29/17 06:46 PM.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
yep, add two more to the list after 7 round

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Best draft on paper in the new Cleveland Browns era.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I wonder how Joe Haden feels about this draft. I propose he's had the worst group around him this last year or two, of his whole career; and they're mostly all comeing back. Little change.

Maybe each and every one of them can eat a spinach can, like poppeye, and I'll end up completely wrong. fingerscrossed

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Surprising that we only got one S and one CB (although it might be argued the CB might be a FS in the making).... and no WR.

Very excited about Garrett. (duh) and Njoku. I think Peppers is going to impact some games (and every likelihood he'll give up a play or two). Wilson looks like a very natural ball player. The two DT's have a lot of potential. I think we definitely improved.

Hope Kessler starts and Kizer gets time to develop.

Can't wait till week 1 and I hope Garrett puts Ben on his ass like he said in his interview.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
So Far we Have:

#1 Myles Garrett - DE
#2 Jabrill Peppers - S
#3 David Njoku - TE
#4 DeShone Kizer - QB
#5 Larry Ogunjobi - DT
#6 Howard Wilson - CB
#7 Roderick Johnson - OT
#8 Caleb Brantley - DT
#9 Zane Gonzalez - K
Is that about right? I did not think we would draft that many again

Edit: add positions
We still have 1 more, 2nd to last pick.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
So you're not convinced the switch to 4-3. Adding Garrett, 2 penetrating DT's and Peppers is going to help the pass rush? You don't think Haden got any help? You must really hate every pick.

Legend
Legend
Best Browns Draft I have seen in many moons. thumbsup

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm talking about Db's like Gipson, Ward, Poyer, Skrine, and what should have been Gilbert.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Surprising that we only got one S and one CB (although it might be argued the CB might be a FS in the making).... and no WR.
I hadn't considered that, but that could be the plan.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Wilson is a boundry corner. He is a press man/press zone guy who needs to develop. I think it would be a waste to put him at S.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This draft is amazingly deep. I think we are going to bring in a few quality UDFA's this year. A lot of teams will.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of course, we are judging the draft without ever seeing what they do on the field. It's way too early. That said, I feel pretty good about it overall. I would have liked to seen a CB in the first 4 rounds, and I'm not thrilled about Kizer. But overall I give the draft a preliminary grade of B+. We addressed some areas of great need, took a couple of gambles (Kizer and Brantley), and continued the trend started last year of going after very athletic players.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Since we have 1 pick left, what do our picks look like next year with all the trades? Havent kept on it very well.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
We still have 1 more, 2nd to last pick.

Mr Penultimate?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 firsts
3 seconds
1 third
2 fourths
1 fifth
2 sixth
1 seventh

I think

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
2 firsts
3 seconds
1 third
2 fourths
1 fifth
2 sixth
1 seventh

I think
yikes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now we know that the FO is willing to trade up as well as trade down.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Round of applause for the Browns for this draft. There were a couple of moves that I'm not nuts about but all in all, they got great value and great athletic talent and all in all, top tier guys. PLUS with the #12 trade down, we're in a great position next year as well.

Folks who hate this draft would hate ANY draft.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Congrats on a great draft!

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree a very good draft and the 2018 draft looks amazing ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: Jester
2 firsts
3 seconds
1 third
2 fourths
1 fifth
2 sixth
1 seventh

I think
yikes

I really hate getting my hopes up ...... but just imagine if we hit on 3-4 of the players in this draft, and get the QB spot settled. 5 picks in the top 66 next year could finish this team off nicely.

I think that we have some young, solid talent at a lot of spots.

Thomas
Bitonio
Tretter
Zeitler
(maybe) Coleman or Johnson
Crowell
Duke
(maybe) Njote
(maybe) Coleman
(big maybe) Kessler or Kizer

Garrett
Ogunjobi or Brantley
Shelton
Ogbah
Nassib
Cooper

Collins
Kirksey

Haden
Taylor
Boddy Calhoun
Peppers
(maybe)Wilson

I believe we are a'building here. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
talking with my dad tonight, we said the same thing. IMO, we're way ahead of last year ... and the year before. We completely gutted the roster, gained tons of picks, and drafted well (by most accounts).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most years, all except for the Thomas/Quinn year, I have been frustrated to the point of disbelief at the Browns draft. This year, I am optimistic.

Now let's get some FA's

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just some tid bits here.

Our First round picks I have in my Rankings:
Garrett #1
Peppers #14
Njoku #20
3 of the top 20 players in the 2017 draft...WOW.

I can't believe we finally drafted a Kicker...the best College had to offer. I had him ranked at 168 and we got him at 224.

We got our Franchise QB Project...all the tools to become great, now we will see if Hue's is a QB Guru or not. I had him as the 42nd player in the draft we got him 52!

Larry Ogunjobi...was he the kid the parents made him play football, thinking it was Soccer...lol laugh

Somebody who has kept on improving...I'm liking this kid as he hasn't reached the tip of the iceberg.

Caleb Brantley...is he the first PROBLEM CHILD we have drafted since Gordon? I forgot his offense I just remember all here saying he was done. Still the rankings I go by have Problems and Injuries figured in...they dropped him to 101, we took him with 185. I guess he was just too much talent and we must of briefed him to feel confident he will not mess up once here.

Rod Johnson...6'7 300 lbs...room to grow and has some very good potential. Ranked #71 and we got him at 160...

the only pick before its time was our only CB Howard Wilson ranked at 136 we took him at 126...kid is tall and skinny a lot of these guys I can't wait for next off season and see them through our Conditioning Program. Mostly this kid.

Matt Dawes...I lol to my wife and said well he short doesn't weigh much and Slow...sounds like a keeper... laugh But when you think about it...the kid must have amazing instincts, I'm curious. He was ranked 178 and we got him at #252.

We are already are signing UDFA's....

I love our 2 year version of the NEW BROWNS!!!
The combo of the Harvard boys and Hue is the best I've seen here since 1999!!! I'm excited about the dynasty we are building here and we got another 5 Impact picks next year.

The first 3 drafts define a Regime...guys we are getting out of this New Franchise HOLE...back to a relevant Browns team!
Long time a coming!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am so disappointed w/this draft. We drafted the All Airport Team but did not draft too many real football players. Analytics seemingly got in the way of common sense.

I would have went w/so many different players that it got to the point I stopped watching the draft.

Hopefully, these guys will work out and be good football players.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Garrett
Ogunjobi and Brantley
Shelton
Ogbah
Nassib
Cooper

Collins
Kirksey

Haden
Taylor
Boddy Calhoun
Peppers
Wilson

I think that defense looks pretty decent. Haden is a ??? to me. I don't envision him returning to former ability, but with a pass rush he's solid. The only real holes I see are one LB spot - and one safety spot. And really, if the rest of it performs as it should, you do not need studs at every spot.

Offense is a work in progress. I have modest hopes that Kessler will step in and step up and build on a rookie season where outperformed expectations.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am so disappointed w/this draft. We drafted the All Airport Team but did not draft too many real football players. Analytics seemingly got in the way of common sense.

I would have went w/so many different players that it got to the point I stopped watching the draft.

This is honestly how you feel?

There were a couple of moves I would have done differently, but man we seemed to get value with every pick.

All the draft experts seem to be raving about our draft.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Analytics seemingly got in the way of common sense.

If that were true and we were all about drafting simply on measurables and athletes .... then I don't see how we pass on Obi who was an even bigger athletic freak of nature than Garrett. Also at a position of need. I know you've always said you thought Peppers was over rated. I sincerely hope you are wrong. I'm sure you are hoping for the same!

E
Legend
Legend
E

Thats why you are on a message board and these guys do this for a living... wink

Just being realistic...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I have three big questions about our team's personnel:

1. QB (obviously)
2. FS (we didn't seem to address this, and I don't know about Powell/Reynolds)
3. WR (I don't trust Coleman or Britt ... and who knows about Gordon)

E
Legend
Legend
E
The key is POWELL wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I feel we had a very good draft. We got players in position of need and good value where and when we drafted in later rounds. Let's now get some UDFA and hope our picks develop. We are due. thumbsup

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by The Pastor:

"...the 2018 draft looks amazing "

Lets hope it's not too amazing, Pastor.

I'd be happy if our own first pick is at #32.

And while I'm fantasizing; "Welcome to the 2018 NFL Draft, The Baltimore Ravens are on the clock."

V
Legend
Legend
V
I loved the Garrett pick. Hated the trade down at 12. Hated the Peppers pick.

I am okay w/the Njoku pick. I liked it at first, but after doing more research, the drops are a concern. I don't think you teach "hands." But, this was one of my favorite picks. LOL

Kizer? I don't like inaccurate qbs and he missed so many throws when I watched him. He is a physical freak and maybe Hue can develop him. We passed on very good DBs.

I don't know much about Ogunjobi, but I read about him from guys I respect like Bulger and watched the Louisville tape. Guy gets swallowed by guards. There were so many good DBs available at that point.

I really don't know enough about Wilson to talk intelligently. Reading about him tells me is a risky pick, but I could be dead wrong.

Johnson is a player that has the physical characteristics, but it doesn't translate to the field. This seems to be a theme w/our picks.

Brantley is a guy who questioned his own motor. LOL

Gonzalez? I like this pick.

Dayes probably won't make the team.

My issue is that I think we passed on some productive football players for guys that are projects and maybes.

I don't want to get into an argument about it. Just simply stating how I feel.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The Negatives could actually become reality...and possibly not.

For me the only one I think you are way wrong on is Peppers.

but I'm the Homer you're the pessimist...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Garrett: grand slam pick. Double digit sack guy for a decade. A+

Peppers: feels like they slightly over drafted. He will fill a vital spot in Gregg Williams DB. He will be a blitzer one play, a man guy the next and then a deep safety later. Hes also INCREDIBLE as a returner. Still, not a ball hawk. B

Njoku: very raw. Great in the redzone. Not a huge fan of his route running. Seems to not catch balls well low but man can he high point. High potential as a blocker. If his route running improves, the sky is the limit. B

Kizer: He and Mahomes were my 1a and 1b preference. Getting him at 52 is real nice. Smart, athletic, great arm. If his footwork gets fixed and his accuracy gets even marginally better, he is a high end starter for years. A

Ogunjobi: stout run defender. Still learning as a pass rusher. Strong and moves well for his size. Still somewhat new to football. Growth is possible. B- due to players left on the board.

Wilson: havent seen enough. Inc.

Johnson: not a big fan, once again, leaving other talent on the board. He moves well but doesnt know how to bend. Maybe Thomas can teach him. C+

Brantley: fat, lazy, and a problem off the field. Talent is indeniable, but has serious motivation issues. Ill say its a C right now.

Legatron: fantastic pick. He has the power and is quick to the ball. Incredible range. He will become a serious weapon foe the Browns. A

Dayes: pass blocker, receiver type. May be a good 3rd down back. Not much else there, hard to rate it anything

Best pick: Garrett. Easily

Worst pick: Brantley, easily

Overall: B. The draft definitely has some potential to rise. Garrett is going to be such a dominating force by himself. Peppers is a nice piece and Kizer could put it over the top.

It was going really well, but starting with Ogunjobi on down, I was kind of disappointed, especially seeing the talent on the board.

We'll see. I have high hopes.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Vers., hope your wrong about Peppers. I think he grades out more a Football player than a numbers guy. The same with that Ogunaboi guy. I think we got a good mix of both. I doubt everyone works out but I hope at least 4 or more do.

#GMSTRONG

D
Legend
Legend
D
All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the draft. We didn't blow the first overall pick and we took the guy we SHOULD have took.

I'm still not seeing the Peppers pick, but all in all, I'm going to give them a B grade.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Peppers does seem like the wild card pick. I hope he works out, Were due for a few to excel! smile

#GMSTRONG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft browns draft 2017

Link Copied to Clipboard