Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
NFL adopts 8 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes for 2017 season

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...09-b43e747242b3

Centralized replay, no more ‘leaps’ on FGs

PHOENIX -- Jamie Collins Sr.’s memorable leap over the line of scrimmage to block a kick in 2015 will be his last.

The NFL on Tuesday announced eight rule changes and three bylaw changes, and one of the most notable centers on what players can and can’t do in an attempt to block a field goal or extra point.

Collins was among the athletic trendsetters who attempted well-timed, Olympic-style leaps over the line of scrimmage. It was a risky decision under the old rules because any contact with the opposing team during the leap was grounds for a penalty. Now, any sort of leap won’t be tolerated.

Another big change will be felt in every game across the league. Replay reviews will be no longer conducted in the trademark booth. Instead, referees will watch from a handheld tablet and work in accordance with officials based in the league office in New York. The New York-based officials will have the final say.

Here’s the full list of rules and bylaw changes adopted at Tuesday’s meetings.

2a. By Philadelphia; Prohibits the “leaper” block attempt on field goal and extra point plays. (Final language will be available on NFLCommunications.com)

8. By Competition Committee; Makes permanent the rule that disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

9. By Competition Committee; Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line for one year only.

11. By Competition Committee; Gives a receiver running a pass route defenseless player protection.

12. By Competition Committee; Makes crackback blocks prohibited by a backfield player who is in motion, even if he is not more than two yards outside the tackle when the ball is snapped.

13. By Competition Committee; Replaces the sideline replay monitor with a hand-held device and authorizes designated members of the Officiating department to make the final decision on replay reviews.

14. By Competition Committee; Makes it Unsportsmanlike Conduct to commit multiple fouls during the same down designed to manipulate the game clock.

15. By Competition Committee; Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

Additionally, below are the three bylaw changes and the one approved Resolution Proposal:

Approved 2017 Bylaw Proposals

4. By Competition Committee; Liberalizes rules for timing, testing, and administering physical examinations to draft-eligible players at a club’s facility for one year only.

5. By Competition Committee; Changes the procedures for returning a player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness to the Active List to be similar to those for returning a player that was Designated for Return.

6. By Competition Committee; The League office will transmit a Personnel Notice to clubs on Sundays during training camp and preseason.

Approved 2017 Resolution Proposal

G-4. By Competition Committee: Permits a contract or non-contract non-football employee to interview with and be hired by another club during the playing season, provided the employer club has consented.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
thansk for posting

If the leap rule is just to stop players from jumping over the oline in an attempt to block, that's fine, but it is stops players from jumping at all to block kicks, why even have anyone other than the LS, holder and kicker our there for extra points or FGs?

If the new replay rule were to include broadcasting the audio live, that'd be cool.

14 and 15 are interesting, I'll have to look them up to see what these mean.

The rest make sense.

O
Legend
Legend
O
11 - Is going to cause a lot of penalties I think. But it was needed.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
as always, the consistency with which the refs call these penalties is paramount

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Don't get me wrong, I like football, but DAMN there are a ton of obscure rules. Heck, this list is just the additions and changes to the rule book.

Did you ever try explaining the rules to someone that doesn't know football? I've tried, it's hard. And not just the basic, "there's four downs, you can throw or run, TDs are 6 points and the XP is 1", like really explain offensive holding, defensive holding, pass interference, defenseless receivers, intentional grounding, etc.

I think explaining football might be harder than baseball.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I've explained to my wife what a first down is legitimately 7 times.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Goodell needs to insert a new policy. For every rule addition, two rules must be rolled back.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Goodell needs to insert a new policy. For every rule addition, two rules must be rolled back.

I would be okay with that.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I think explaining football might be harder than baseball.

What about baseball is hard to explain? My wife wasn't a sports fan when I met her. She took to baseball because she could understand it when I explained it to her.....obviously as time went on, you had balks to explain, infield flys, etc.

Hockey on the other hand, she likes it live, but she can't seem to understand the blue lines and two line passes and why players don't get ejected for fighting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
The basics are, generally, somewhat easy to explain, even to a newcomer to a sport - like football, basketball, softball, baseball.

I recently took the OHSAA softball umpiring course. When you get into details, it's tough - or maybe a better description would be "it isn't as easy as one thinks" And it's not like you have a lot of time to make a call.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
We had a great thread in the tailgate forum about rules of baseball last year. It was pretty eye opening.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
What about baseball is hard to explain?

I had some guys come over from Spain for work and the company rented a rooftop at a Cubs game. I sat there trying to explain the game to two soccer guys that had barely watched a few minutes of baseball their entire life, combined between them.

"Why does it matter to beat the ball to first?"
"Why can he run past the first base but not the others?"
"Why can't the pitcher throw the ball now? Why is he waiting for the batter?"
"Why is the batter walking to first?"
"Why 4 balls for a walk? Why not 5? Or 3?"
"Why does a foul count as a strike but it doesn't end the AB if there's two strikes?"

...and so on.

Like, it's easy to tell them there's three outs per inning, but they then ask, "what's an out?"

Baseball and football have so many intricate rules too. IMO, football is so much more than baseball. Heck, there are dozens of ways a football play can be stopped before it actually even starts. Try explaining to someone why the tackle has to be covered at the LOS.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
We had a great thread in the tailgate forum about rules of baseball last year. It was pretty eye opening.

Yeah, I remember the long discussion about there being a tied game in the 9th, pitcher walks the leadoff guy, gets pulled, fielders choice to 2nd, homer. Who gets the loss? Even though the original runner from the first pitcher is no longer on base when the homer happens, that leadoff runner scored because of the FC replacement. And yeah, there were quite a few more.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Yeah, I remember the long discussion about there being a tied game in the 9th, pitcher walks the leadoff guy, gets pulled, fielders choice to 2nd, homer. Who gets the loss? Even though the original runner from the first pitcher is no longer on base when the homer happens, that leadoff runner scored because of the FC replacement. And yeah, there were quite a few more.

Those really aren't rules. That's scoring. I agree, those can be complicated.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
general reply. 90% of contests, can be categorized into two sides.

There's big market, and small market. Hollywood, and middle America.
Traditional favorite son's, and the unpopulars who should just "neal".

Very rarely are the Browns on the, big market, Hollywood, favorite son, side of contests.
Just as rarely is the City of New York, (and what goes on there), NOT on those sides.

So for that reason, I expect NO GOOD RESULT will come from moving replay decisions, or any in game decisions off the field of play to any official in New York.

Huh?? I mean it unlevels the playing field that wasn't level in the first place.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

It seems as though they've taken blocked kicks out of the game. I certainly don't care for that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
You can still block kicks... you just can't hop over the line to do it.

They don't want this stuff to happen

Last edited by The Collector; 04/01/17 01:36 AM.
Legend
Legend
Can someone explain number 15 to me

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Can someone explain number 15 to me
If I'm correct, it would be something like this:

Team A has the ball on the 5 yard line and trails by 3 points with 10 seconds left.

Team B decides to deliberately hold every offensive WR/RB in order to waste time and not allow a chance for a TD.

This could be somehow declared illegal and deterred

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Thanks that makes sense... I was having trouble figuring out what it meant... Didn't a team do that in playoffs this year? Maybe it was the Ravens who Evonne held on a final play or something

<><

#gmstrong
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Thanks that makes sense... I was having trouble figuring out what it meant... Didn't a team do that in playoffs this year? Maybe it was the Ravens who Evonne held on a final play or something

Ravens secure win by holding, taking safety on final play vs. Bengals

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl...-koch/94520454/

Legend
Legend
thanks vambo

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
11 - Is going to cause a lot of penalties I think. But it was needed.

Well, the more penalties the better. I love when I see yellow flags each and every play. So much fun to watch.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
My favorite is when we lose games because of idiotic rules. (where is Dwayne Rudd these days, anyway?)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
My favorite is when we lose games because of idiotic rules. (where is Dwayne Rudd these days, anyway?)

Idiotic or not, a rule is a rule and one needs to abide by it or expect consequences.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why don't we just flip the coin and go home , game over ! Every season they find away to take something away from the game I love .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Can't they just add time back on the clock? Example:
10 secs to go, on the 5 yard line, Team A runs up the middle and Team B holds the WR. Instead of say 8 secs to go just reset game clock to 10 again or do they already do that? I don't understand why Team B would hold unless they don't get the time back on the clock?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Idiotic or not, a rule is a rule and one needs to abide by it or expect consequences.

Yeah but he thought the game was over. Zeroes on the clock and he thought the guy (Green?) was sacked.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rules are rules.... however the NFL isn't obligated to make 50 new rules every year. Here's an idea... for every new rule they make, they take an old one away. Start with the dumbass illegal man down field rule.

Want to limit injury? Do something smart for a change and institute weight limits, not 50 more rules about how when and where you can hit. Simple physics. Mass times acceleration. You can't easily limit a players speed but you can limit MASS. Cuts down on injury, cuts down on PED use, doesn't add more flags.....

The NFL is barely watchable. Defense is virtually illegal and the games all look like track meets.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Roger Goodell is expected to tell NFL owners group celebrations, using ball as prop after TDs, going to ground, snow angels are now allowed.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036322409717760

Quote:
Prolonged acts, miming weapons, offensive gestures, sexually suggestive stuff still expected to be banned. That includes twerking. Sorry, AB

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036453691437056

Quote:
Goodell has been meeting with players for months on this. Emphasis on spontaneous exuberance. Result should be more fun, fewer flags.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036524340236288

Quote:
Per source, the owners just passed a resolution eliminating the 75-man cutdown. So now, there'll be just one cutdown day -- 90 to 53.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/867044517865803776

That's a lot of dudes getting cut in one day.

Legend
Legend
.@NFL owners have passed a resolution allowing two players to return off Injured Reserve, source says. Used to be just one.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
.@NFL owners have passed a resolution allowing two players to return off Injured Reserve, source says. Used to be just one.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet

This is excellent news. Getting the best players back on the field should be a priority.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't get the point of this one:

Quote:
The @NFL has passed a rule change moving overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, per league official. Expected but important.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/867051575885406209

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Quote:
The @NFL has passed a rule change moving overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, per league official. Expected but important.

Heard on the radio something about cutting down on the chance of concussion by not playing (potentially) another full quarter of football.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like the changes regarding celebrations. I'm old, but not one of those uptight people who get turned off by celebrations. Some of them are funny.

I don't like the NFL's responses throughout this off-season to talk that NFL games were too long. They are taking away more snaps [which is why we watch] while not reducing commercials, promos, rules that are subject to interpretation which leads to lengthy delays, and long-winded explanations of penalties.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Quote:

Heard on the radio something about cutting down on the chance of concussion by not playing (potentially) another full quarter of football.

LOL..........yep, that's why. rofl

Oh, and Cap..........I'm not laughing at you, but at the NFL's "explanation."

Legend
Legend
Only one cut down day is interesting ... will be a crazy day

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know. Ridiculous explanation.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I like the changes regarding celebrations. I'm old, but not one of those uptight people who get turned off by celebrations. Some of them are funny.

I don't like the NFL's responses throughout this off-season to talk that NFL games were too long. They are taking away more snaps [which is why we watch] while not reducing commercials, promos, rules that are subject to interpretation which leads to lengthy delays, and long-winded explanations of penalties.

Vers you mean you don't enjoy touchdown, review, 6 mins of commercials, extra point, 6 mins of commercials, Kickoff 6 mins of commercials, run one play its the 2 min warning, 6 mins of commercials, timeout to stop the clock, guess what 6 mins of commercials, completed pass oo better go under the hood while we take another commercial break

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL adopts 8 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes for 2017 season

Link Copied to Clipboard