Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
You might be right, but I think that would be a mistake. I say this because I think our young quarterbacks would really benefit from having a WR who understands the game and can run good routes.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I didn't think it would happen, but it is disappointing, non-the-less.

Hopefully, we make a run at Decker.

I believe our best chance for Decker was via trade. After playing in NY, I can't see Decker wanting another go round with a low end team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jeremy Maclin signs two-year contract with Ravens

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...act-with-ravens

L
Legend
Legend
L
One of Louis/Higgins will hopefully step up

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
One of Louis/Higgins will hopefully step up

I hope they both do.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Dang, Flacco has another weapon..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Looks like they're sticking to the plan.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Building the Browns via free agency?

Why would the Browns need to add another high dollar free agent like Maclin?

The front office drafted 4 wrs in 2016 along with two TEs, 1 in 2016 and 1 in 2017.

Plus, the front office replaced Pryor with Kenny Britt..so why would the Browns be looking to add another free agent wr?

WOW, the Browns fail to sign their top WR for 2016, allowing him to leave during free agency...replace him with Britt..but the are still looking to spend big (if necessary} to add another WR.

...that does not make sense !

Last edited by mac; 06/13/17 08:21 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
L
Legend
Legend
L
We dont know if the browns had much interest in Maclin.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:
Quote:
The #Ravens signed WR Jeremy Maclin to a 2-year deal worth $11M, source said. A hefty investment.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/874622637992968192

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
that does not make sense

WOOHOO if you think it doesn't make sense then we must be on the right track. nanner

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

When Anquan Boldin became available a few years ago my very first thought was "this is a guy that could really help the Browns."

It didn't happen. He went to the Ravens.

Deja vous it happens again this time the player is Maclin.

The Browns lack savy veterans who know how to play. How to practice and prepare. Receivers who can run an entire NFL route tree.

It blows my mind that you have money, You want to get better and you let the Ravens go ahead and sign Maclin.

Am I missing something here? Is this some kind of management macho thing? "We drafted all these receivers last year and by God they will be on the team and are going to play".

We have inexperienced quarterbacks. Guys who are trying to prove they can play in the NFL. Is it faulty thinking to believe that a veteran receiver could help?

This kind of stuff sticks sideways.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't agree with that. Signing a guy with a 2 year window doesn't make much sense for this team. At some point down the road it might.

You have to come to grips with the way we operate and what we are doing.

That said, Decker would be a better fit. Maybe we are looking at him, but for the same reasons, I tend to think not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

When Anquan Boldin became available a few years ago my very first thought was "this is a guy that could really help the Browns."

It didn't happen. He went to the Ravens.

Deja vous it happens again this time the player is Maclin.

The Browns lack savy veterans who know how to play. How to practice and prepare. Receivers who can run an entire NFL route tree.

It blows my mind that you have money, You want to get better and you let the Ravens go ahead and sign Maclin.

Am I missing something here? Is this some kind of management macho thing? "We drafted all these receivers last year and by God they will be on the team and are going to play".

We have inexperienced quarterbacks. Guys who are trying to prove they can play in the NFL. Is it faulty thinking to believe that a veteran receiver could help?

This kind of stuff sticks sideways.

I'm really hoping that we reached out to Maclin and his response was ... Thanks but no thanks ... that would make sense ... were not ready for prime time yet and right now our QB situation is BEYOND ABYSMAL ... theres a shot that Kizer could be the man ... but right now hes a HUGE QUESTION MARK and is a year away ....

If we didn't reach out to him .. that's STUPID ... for all the reasons u just mentioned ...

Right now our WR corps has to be one of if not the worst in the league ... Maclin would have stepped right in as our #1 ...

Legend
Legend
Hey, I agree with you. I understand wanting to get experience with the young guys, but if you have to let the worst young guy go so you can keep a savvy veteran on the roster to teach the better young guys, then do it. Maybe they think Britt is that guy... but a veteran would help bring along the WRs, would help bring along whichever young QB ends up starting, etc...

Building through the draft, building with youth, doesn't mean that EVERYBODY has to be under 25. These young guys need leadership and not just from coaches, they need veterans to emulate, veterans to call them out, etc..

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
It was reported we had interest. Not exactly sure what that means, but evidently if we did, he didn't, since he never came to visit.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Right now our WR corps has to be one of if not the worst in the league ... Maclin would have stepped right in as our #1 ...

How can that be true...the Harvard Boys decided they did not need their best producing WR of 2016 and did not sign him.

Sashi and Jimmy acted like 1000 yd receivers are available everywhere...thus no need to sign their best WR of 2016.

Jimmy and Sashi drafted 4 wrs in 2016 and this is year 2..there should be no need for any additional wrs...

UNLESS, all/or some of the 2016 draft picks are under performing and the coaching staff is not happy with the quality of wrs the front office added via the draft and free agency.

The Browns owners and front office picked and drafted each WR on this team...if these WRs suck, it's on Jimmy and Sashi.

The Browns should not have any issues at the WR position since our analytics driven front office judged the talent now on the Browns roster and if analytics works as advertised, the Browns should have 4 wrs (drafted in 2016) who are of superior talent.

The best WR from the 2016 draft was available to the Browns analytical driven draft team TWICE...and Jimmy and Sashi passed on Ohio State's Michael Thomas, 6-3/203, 92 catches/1137yds for the Saints.

Michael Thomas was judged NOT GOOD ENOUGH for the Browns, according to our analytics guys.

Wonder what kind of numbers Terrelle Pryor would had if he had Drew Brees throwing to him?

Pryor had 77 catches for 1007 yds with the Browns QBs..anyone think Pryor could have had a performance similar to Michael Thomas' 2016 performance?

But Terrelle Pryor was not good enough for the Browns.

When teams refuse to sign their best WRs, chances are management is misjudging the WR talent.

If the Browns have problems at the WR position..they created the problem themselves because they had opportunities to land some of the best talent available and the analytics boys judged the best talent as NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Usually that means they say Thanks but no thanks and move on. I don't think we announce those responses. I doubt we just ignored their availability.

jmho - and no I don't have links...just strong opinion.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We offered Pryor more money than anyone else and he signs a one year deal in DC. You want to bash the FO but we gave Pryor his shot and he took a lot less money to go elsewhere. To hell with him.

As for Britt, we gave Britt who is imho a better receiver than Pryor the money we offered Pryor. atleast Britt can run a slant to the outside instead of making it into a halfass curl route like Pryor did last year.

As for Brees, he has made a lot of so so receivers look good and he could probably make pryor look a little bit better or since he cant run a dependable route, he might not make the team. Will see how he does in DC.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
j/c

to me, our WRs stink. probably the worst WR group in the NFL. I hated the Britt signing, Coleman hasn't gotten off to a good start (to put it mildly), and the other young WR's are MEH.

I hope the TE's help to take pressure off of the WRs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Those who accept "WE TRIED"...

...you are simply making excuses for the analytics boys failure to get the job done.

If Jimmy and Sashi now have issues at the WR position...they created the entire problem themselves.

Jimmy and Sashi decided who to draft, who to sign and who to pass on. They passed on a lot of WR talent that fit the mold that the HC described...bigger, stronger and faster WRs.

The present situation the Browns are facing at WR is 100% on the Browns owner and Sashi Brown.

When it comes to sign a contract with your players, there is no in between answer...you either get the players signed or you fail to sign that player.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE BROWNS FAILURE TO ADD TOP WR TALENT...they had their chances and the present WR situation is the result.

It all comes down to the judgement of the Analytics guys, the Owner and our GM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

to me, our WRs stink. probably the worst WR group in the NFL. I hated the Britt signing, Coleman hasn't gotten off to a good start (to put it mildly), and the other young WR's are MEH.

I hope the TE's help to take pressure off of the WRs

I won't go as far as say they stink, but I will say most of them are unproven. Minus Britt, of course, who has had a pretty good career so far. Nothing spectacular but solid, IMO.

I also feel like, generally, the TE position usually has a larger learning curve just like a WR than other positions in the NFL. Perhaps I could be wrong. I think there is an expectation that both DeValve and Coleman step it up this year and improve upon 2016. With Barnidge gone and Njoku a rookie, I'm guessing DeValve will see a bunch more targets at least early on in the season. A healthy Coleman should also see the same. We'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I may be the only Kenny Britt fan but he is big physical has a huge catch radius and plays the middle of the field as good as any receiver in the league. Sadly our QBs may be an upgrade for him lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
I like him too. I'm not saying he's a underrated pro-bowler or anything but he can make a difference on the field.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

As for Britt, we gave Britt who is imho a better receiver than Pryor the money we offered Pryor.

rofl rofl rofl

That was funny ... thanks for the laugh ... good stuff man ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think I may be the only Kenny Britt fan but he is big physical has a huge catch radius and plays the middle of the field as good as any receiver in the league. Sadly our QBs may be an upgrade for him lol

Then it got better ....

rofl rofl rofl rofl ...

Quit it .. my side hurts from laughing so hard ...

Legend
Legend

Not sure how a two year window means anything. You sign him for two years. He helps you get better. Wins are important to a team who has not won.

After two years you decide whether he worth signing again.

They have draft picks. They have money. They can still invest in more receivers later if needed.

What they don't have are guys who can help win now.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: mac

...you are simply making excuses for the analytics boys failure to get the job done.

If Jimmy and Sashi now have issues at the WR position...they created the entire problem themselves.

Jimmy and Sashi decided who to draft, who to sign and who to pass on. They passed on a lot of WR talent that fit the mold that the HC described...bigger, stronger and faster WRs.

The present situation the Browns are facing at WR is 100% on the Browns owner and Sashi Brown.

When it comes to sign a contract with your players, there is no in between answer...you either get the players signed or you fail to sign that player.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE BROWNS FAILURE TO ADD TOP WR TALENT...they had their chances and the present WR situation is the result.

Further proof that Mac can turn literally any topic into a FO bashing extravaganza. I could be talking about preferences in cheese and Mac could create some type of FO failure to pick Gouda over Mozzarella.

I'm not that fussed about Maclin. He's a decent WR without a doubt but he's not the difference between a Super Bowl or not for us. He's a good player but not the best fit for us right now. We've got a crop of young guys, a solid vet at #2 in Britt and we're committed to developing Coleman. We're trying to build a team here that can grow together. I'm looking forward to seeing more Louis and Higgins and seeing whether they can contribute or not.

Sure, point at 2016 WRs and say we made the wrong choices and pretend that hindsight isn't 20/20. LOTS of FOs miss on draft picks....scratch that. ALL FOs miss on draft picks.

I look at our situation, with a set starting duo, and think do I want to develop young guys to play that 3rd and 4th receiver or do I want a short term rental coming off a bad season? I can see the logic for playing the young guys. We're playing chess here - not checkers.

I admit I wanted to keep Hawkins around as a vet presence but I understand the logic in letting him walk.

And for God's sake, enough with the "we failed to sign Pryor" nonsense. The only thing we failed to do was overpay for a player despite offering a more than generous deal.

You're just getting ridiculous.

Legend
Legend
Our 1-year guys (Coleman, Higgins, Louis, Payton) have to show up this year. If not, we will be bringing in more talent via FA and/or draft.

I like the fact that the FO is giving them a chance. This never happens so kudos to the FO for trying to develop the guys they draft.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Take your crap to your thread.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac

Take your FO talk to the FO thread. Stay of topic or zip it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

I like him too. I think he is a good addition.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I like him too. I think he is a good addition.

me three.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac gets ripped for being single-minded and rightfully so, however, I believe a lot of you just "like" just about every move the Browns make.

Here are some links to Britt. Tell me if you still like him:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/nfl-athletes-in-trouble-with-the-law/34/

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/03/eagles_may_be_fortunate_that_kenny_britt_signed_wi.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1828769-has-kenny-britts-nfl-career-come-to-an-end

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kenny-britt-police-chase-tennessee-titans-arrested-041211

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear...m=.b57337ceccf1

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...ms_in_past.html

Britt was a former first round pick who has been arrested 9 times and was a major disappointment in Tenn. They ended up giving up on him. Other than "he has to be good because our FO never makes mistakes," I'm not sure why people like him so much.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/13/17 07:43 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have come to expect that from receivers. Most of them are egg heads. At least in the last 15 years or so.

Not sure why that is....and thoughts?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
hmmm...I like him because he has good size and cracked a 1,000 yards last year with Goff and Case throwing the ball of all people.

their QB's were worse than ours imo.

lol don't think I ever said the F.O. never makes mistakes. just my opinion my man.

who knows I could be wrong idk.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay, but I don't think my reply was nearly as nasty, mean, and confrontational as jfan's post about mac's reaction to when a tree falls, peen's comment about mac taking his crap out of here, and GM's "Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?"

I actually provided links about Britt's troubles and gave a few facts. I don't think that was all that mean compared to the abuse mac got.

But, that's just my opinion.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Okay, but I don't think my reply was nearly as nasty, mean, and confrontational as jfan's post about mac's reaction to when a tree falls, peen's comment about mac taking his crap out of here, and GM's "Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?"

I actually provided links about Britt's troubles and gave a few facts. I don't think that was all that mean compared to the abuse mac got.

But, that's just my opinion.

lol I didn't take your reply as anything, but a reply my friend.

I didn't mean to come across as being offended. was not my intent.

just trying to reply with my opinion on Britt is all.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin

Link Copied to Clipboard