Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Seems to have mastered holding to snuff drives. Everything else is just details, fine tuning.

Glad he is working with JT. Thought we were done with the farcical Schwartz splat.

Hope he improves more.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.)

So there's 32 starting RT's in the NFL and being rated #29 puts you in the middle of the pack? I guess so if you're including all of the back up RT's in the NFL.

You say #29 puts him in the middle of the pack? And then you question the math of others? Really?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.)

So there's 32 starting RT's in the NFL and being rated #29 puts you in the middle of the pack? I guess so if you're including all of the back up RT's in the NFL.

You say #29 puts him in the middle of the pack? And then you question the math of others? Really?

It's all tackles, Pit. Not just right tackles. So yeah, really. And the note was to help realize that, not insult anyone's IQ. Thanks for playing though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's rated 29th out of all OTs, which would be 64 total since each team has 2.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
People can rate him anywhere they like. But he's not there yet. Now I'm not saying he can't progress. But he's nowhere close to deserving that rating.... yet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
he's nowhere close to deserving that rating.... yet.

According to you. Let's qualify that correctly. FTR, I'm not commenting on where he is rated, or whether I agree with the rating or not. I'll just say that I'm glad he's improving, and hope he continues to do so. Getting our RT problem solved would be huge.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It would be. It would be fantastic actually. And far be it from me to say he can't do it. He has some limitations to overcome like footwork and lateral movement. Both ingredients that a true RT must possess. But I've seen players do it before. Schwartz for one developed quite nicely.

Maybe I addressed things a little wrong. I'm not saying he can't do it. My point was that saying he's emerging at this point is a little premature.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
And getting the RT spot solved is all that matters at this point ...

The FO screwed up and Schwartz is gone ... hes not coming back ... hes irrelivent in our RT problem ...

Lets hope Coleman’s the solution ... this is basically his rookie year ... right now he’s not up to snuff ... hopefully he improves and solves the problem ...

If not, back to the drawing board ... a place we seem to spend way to much time at .. *L* ...

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The part I find most encouraging is that he learns and takes coaching well. For example fixing his propensity to bend at the waste and lose leverage. He seems to be improving in that area. Not saying he won't relapse from time to time, but it's a huge deal if he can get that fixed.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What I find intriguing,
If he's so damn good at run blocking,why can't we run the ball?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It would be interesting to chart where the runs have been going. However, we certainly can't put the lack of a run game on the RT. I see a lot of running up the middle, and I also see us abandoning the run when we fall a little behind.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns have a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ tied up in this so so line .. Maybe Hogan can make them look better ??

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'm assuming that's the plan. thumbsup

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
People can rate him anywhere they like. But he's not there yet. Now I'm not saying he can't progress. But he's nowhere close to deserving that rating.... yet.
and yet there it is. So pff rankings are a cherry pick??? Basically its just your opinion... I dont get it.we are talking about AVERAGE here.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually from what I've seen, the run is more successful, more often when ran to the left. The right? Not so much.

So is it Coleman, the FA G Zeitler or the FA C Tretter? Maybe it's simply the fact that the three of them haven't played together as a unit on that right side long enough for things to gel?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Then instead of using those rankings, why don't you break down what you've seen from Coleman? You're good enough at evaluating talent to have an opinion rather than using some stat boy.

Tell me just how wrong my opinion is Tab based on your own? Are you saying you actually think he's a leaque average starting RT? I didn't think so.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I admit that I have been concentrating more on Coleman's pass protection than his run blocking ability, but it sure doesn't seem like we've had many holes when we run to the right.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what I've seen as well, but PFF! lol

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
lol. If I may, this is just pure speculation on both your parts. You may be right, but without stats or a chart of the runs to back you up, forgive me if I don't buy into your "I've seen more of this than that" assessments.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's fine. May I suggest you actually watch the running game to see what is working and what isn't. I don't use all of the stat sites but I'm sure that would be easily available to anyone wishing to dispute my opinion.

The left side is more effective in run blocking than the right side is. It's only obvious if you watch. I don't need anyone to tell me what I can already see.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
1. I cant even wipe my ass right now.
2. Actually I said exactlly what my position is.
3. Not disagreeing or agreeing with your position just that you conveniently put aside PFF grading system with no significantly reason except...uh uh aint so
My thought was more so on our UNIT not the individual.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
My point was that one side is doing a better job than the other side right now.

I actually believe that they haven't had the time working together as a unit with only five games under their belt. What I won't do is pretend they're doing a good job when the only stat that really matters, our running stats prove they're not doing a good job.

Stats can be manipulated. What can't be manipulated is that our running game stinks right now. That's a product of the OL.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I've been looking for anything that might bear that out and all I can find is highlight tape. Can't find any stats on it either. And as I said, you may be right, but for all I know it's just wishful thinking or a preconceived notion. I've watched the same games you have, and I couldn't tell you if they're more successful running one way or the other but maybe you're some kind of a savant with a photographic memory.

Also, I would assume the left side is more effective at blocking since it's Thomas and Bitonio -vs- Coleman & Zeitler so it's not like that's some sort of profound revelation. We may be more effective running left, we may not. I would imagine so, but I don't know.

Your original question was, why aren't we running better? My answer that you can't blame the lack of our running game solely on the right tackle still stands. So here's another question. If the blocking is so good running left, why aren't we doing it more and improving our run game dramatically?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
You can't run in either direction all of the time.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's an interesting discussion. Are they stacking the box? Are the holes closing too quickly? Are the RB's timing off? Are they hitting the wrong holes? It is an effect of not sticking with it? All the above? Bottom line, it's frustrating as hell.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It is frustrating and I think it's a combination of some things you have listed.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

It looks like we're somewhat evenly distributed across the board except for run plays called up the middle.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
lol. If I may, this is just pure speculation on both your parts. You may be right, but without stats or a chart of the runs to back you up, forgive me if I don't buy into your "I've seen more of this than that" assessments.

Is there something wrong w/speculating even when I clarified that it was just an observation?

Or, are you just getting upset if someone doesn't agree that Coleman is playing as great as some amateur reporter is saying he is?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
wait a minute, pit. Are you seriously suggesting that our running game behind a ten time all pro ttackle and a pro bowl guard on the left is more effective than running behind a new guard to the system and a first year starter at tackle. Seriously??? that is a radical suggestion!!

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
My point was that one side is doing a better job than the other side right now.

I actually believe that they haven't had the time working together as a unit with only five games under their belt. What I won't do is pretend they're doing a good job when the only stat that really matters, our running stats prove they're not doing a good job.

Stats can be manipulated. What can't be manipulated is that our running game stinks right now. That's a product of the OL.

Why in the world would anyone care enough to manipulate stats about him??

V
Legend
Legend
V
rofl

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
A quick Google search resulted in this interesting factoid: PFF has Mitchell Schwartz rated as the #25 tackle this year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, he moved up 4 spots w/out playing a game? Interesting.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

It looks like we're somewhat evenly distributed across the board except for run plays called up the middle.

Where we have 3 pro bowl caliber blockers and are averaging 4.6 yards. Lol 15 times up the middle? No wonder we suck at running in the shotgun :lmao:

V
Legend
Legend
V
I take it you don't understand what the offensive numbering of the holes and/or the defensive letting of gaps?

But, bash keep bashing Hue w/nonsense because some posters will agree w/you.

Nice job!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I take it you don't understand what the offensive numbering of the holes and/or the defensive letting of gaps?

saywhat
What does the offensive linemen's jersey numbers have to do with running?

Hey braniac, you think a shotgun formation might just change the defense's personnel and thus their gap responsibilities? If you could even attempt to critically think while posting instead of just typing gibberish in an attempt to wake up your hands and stop them from tingling.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
versatile, I am missing your point here. who moved up four spots without playing a game???

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

That answers that. Thanks for digging it up, Memphis.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Shocking revelation!
More shocking is how much we left the run and tried to go to Kizer who lost every one. If the talent is legit and he is stinking it up, run. Hue apparently forgot the priority he has reportedly assigned to run the ball. Silly to keep giving the ball to Kizer IMO.

Does this board see this as Hogan won a job he earned? Or do you think it is Kizer got benched for his glaring shortcomings?

I will pull for Hogan.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think Hogan made himself impossible to ignore for the starting job.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman

Link Copied to Clipboard