Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1338963 10/22/17 10:46 PM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
What if those high quality QBs Sam and Josh decide to go back to college for one more year to AVOID being drafted by the Browns?

We KNOW there isn't a real QB on this roster. What would you do?

----------------------------------

Me? I go sign Jimmy Garoppolo and never look back. He can start playing right away and I don't think NE would be crazy enough to franchise tag him so there should be a big discount over gaining him last year.

Last edited by Referee 3; 10/23/17 09:24 AM.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Razorthorns #1338972 10/22/17 11:15 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I've been saying for awhile that I think Sam Darnold is going back to school. I think Rosen will come out (and I think he is better than Darnold).

Just my opinion, but I think the Patriots are going to tag Garoppolo. They didn't trade him this past off-season when they probably got some pretty good offers for him, why would they let him go now? (The Patriots also will have quite a bit of cap room next off-season.) If Garoppolo does somehow become an unrestricted free agent he is going to get a boatload of money. There are a ton of teams that need a QB and they all have money to spend (the Jets will have $64M, the Vikings $50M, the Bills $37M, and a bunch of others). I would pay Garoppolo whatever he wants.

Drew Brees and Kirk Cousins will both probably be unrestricted free agents next off-season (if they don't re-sign first), but neither is going to happen.

Our best bet is to probably a veteran QB. Even if we are bad, we need competent QB play to be able to evaluate the rest of the team properly. There are always the crappy/a little below average/coming off an injury veterans that come available (for example: Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, A.J. McCarron etc.).

There will also be some guys who might not make the team they are currently on (Ryan Tannehill, Tyrod Taylor, Mike Glennon, and maybe some others).

Our best bet is to cross our fingers and hope a rookie turns out to be the guy. A lot of it will depend on who our coach is.

Razorthorns #1338999 10/23/17 04:10 AM
Legend
Legend
as of now, I bet Darnold stays in school too. he hasn't had the season to warrant coming out. Rosen should be available though IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Razorthorns #1339004 10/23/17 04:36 AM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm a big fan of Sam Darnold, which is weird because I generally have a "Fool me once.." mentality when it comes to Trojan quarterbacks.

I think he's a franchise quarterback. I agree he's likely return to school, it was reported as early as last year that he was leaning towards not declaring for the 2018 draft, and his struggles this year will have likely only further solidified that rumoured decision. Daniel Jeremiah recently reported that "Multiple sources close to Darnold" are saying he plans to return.

I'm not a big fan of Josh Rosen. Firstly, I'm scared stiff of the character concerns. There are stories citing multiple executives that he's "mess off the field" with "tons of issues" that he needs to work out. Apparently, he's Johnny Manziel without the destructive nonsense. He doesn't love football and won't be working hard in a league that demands 40+ hours a week of study. He's from an affluent family, loves tennis, but stuck with football because he's good at it and it gets him laid.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/04/nfl-sco...-off-the-field/

I'm also a fan of Josh Allen. He's my #2 QB, but if I'm honest, I consider him around the same prospect I considered Kizer. Insane natural talent, but a Jekyll-Hyde thrower who'll blow my mind one play and make me want to blow my brains out on the next. He's struggled this year, too. He's not only not taken the leap forward I wanted to see, but he's taken a step backwards. As a result, he too, like Darnold, might be returning to school for a senior season.

If I'm honest, this is one reason I've been so gun-ho regarding Kizer getting development through experience on the field. The top quarterbacks in the 2018 class are likely to return to school due to their struggles, and they need development even if we draft one of them (Even Darnold). I don't see any of them beating out Kizer in 2018, assuming he takes a step forward in his development, which is pretty standard for 2nd year quarterbacks.

What scares me even more - there is no Myles Garrett next year. Saquon Barkley is breathtaking, but my philosophy is to draft running backs mid-to-late at most or grab someone from free agency. There is no receiver worth the #1. There is no FS worth the #1. CB at #1 is a real stretch. There isn't even an elite LT.

It's a concerning draft. There is a lot of talent, but nobody at a high-value position who jumps off the page as the #1 pick: Again, that's excluding Barkley.

To be honest, I'm really hoping Darnold thinks, "Cleveland will take me #1, and I can always develop behind Kizer while they continue to build up the team, I love tight ends and Njoku looks like a stud, their defense is the real deal, so why not?"

Last edited by BDU; 10/23/17 04:39 AM.
Razorthorns #1339058 10/23/17 09:23 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Noone, especially at the position of QB, wants their career ruined by the simple words "you've been drafted by the Browns" before it even has a chance.

For the kid's sake, go back to school. You don't want none of this.

BDU #1339065 10/23/17 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have to take Allen or Darnold. And both are developmental projects. Problem is, we have no one for them to sit behind. Every one of our QBs is an interception machine. We have to stick with the plan, keep Hue & the FO in tact, draft Allen or Darnold, get some help at WR, CB, OL, & LB, and start working getting out franchise QB in place. Clearly he's not on the team yet. Even with a #1 QB, it's going to be a tough year next year because of QB play. Both Darnold & Allen have major issues.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Razorthorns #1339078 10/23/17 09:53 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
What if those high quality QBs Sam and Josh decide to go back to college for one more year to AVOID being drafted by the Browns?

Me? I go sign Jimmy Garoppolo and never look back. He can start playing right away and I don't think NE would be crazy enough to franchise tag him so there should be a big discount over gaining him last year.
I'll take either QB if Hue is gone. Otherwise, I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
TONY #1339083 10/23/17 09:59 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
He does seem clueless when being a QB developer and etc was supposed to be one of his top three attributes.

IMO, Hue will ruin a QB and destroy their confidence.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Trade for LUCK...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg_LB #1339107 10/23/17 10:37 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
He does seem clueless when being a QB developer and etc was supposed to be one of his top three attributes.

IMO, Hue will ruin a QB and destroy their confidence.
It is really hard to watch Wentz play so well. His character is awesome and he is down to earth. The Eagles have their guy for years to come and these clowns in the front office are trying to sweep that under the rug! Look at Goff, Watson, Tribisky. They blew it big time...

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
We never had a shot at Goff but man I wanted wentz ...

To me we only have 2 options if Darnold goes back.

Cousins or Garoppolo. I don't think Hue has enough time left to develop a new draft pick. Also, we need to pick up our future LT and we need some big physical WR who have soft hands.

Anyone know if there are any top tier LT prospects coming out this next draft?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Legend
Legend
P
With all of the QB's this FO has passed on in the draft, I'm not sure I trust them to actually draft a franchise QB.

The FA market may be the only viable option.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm leaning toward the FA market as well. This is partly because I think Kizer can eventually be the guy, but also because there will be a lot of talented FA QB's on the market.

Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

There will be others as well.

Some team will want to give a king's ransom to trade up and we can develop Kizer behind a vet. Those multiple first rounders can be used on multiple team needs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No. Do not trade down again. Take the best QB at the top of the draft. JMHO.

No more excuses.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1339328 10/23/17 03:47 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

No more excuses.

That depends on the deal in my opinion.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

No more excuses.

I, myself, wouldn't trade three first rounders if it meant we had a franchise qb available.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm leaning toward the FA market as well. This is partly because I think Kizer can eventually be the guy, but also because there will be a lot of talented FA QB's on the market.

Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

Some team will want to give a king's ransom to trade up and we can develop Kizer behind a vet. Those multiple first rounders can be used on multiple team needs.

With the exception of Tyrod Taylor and AJ, that looks like a pretty phenomenal list. Bradford and Teddy are others I would be wary of... and some will get signed to their respective teams... but hopefully there are 1 or 2 that we can throw money at in the offseason.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

No more excuses.

Personally I don't see any QBs coming out that are going to be as good or better than Cousins. I would sign cousins, keep kizer Kessler as back ups, then draft WR, WR, CB CB

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

No more excuses.

Personally I don't see any QBs coming out that are going to be as good or better than Cousins. I would sign cousins, keep kizer Kessler as back ups, then draft WR, WR, CB CB

Same here. I could change my mind toward the end of the season, but I don't see a sure thing at QB so far.

I would like to see us get FS Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick first and WR and CB after that.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

No more excuses.

By CB, I hope you mean FS

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

I don't think Cousins would even consider us. The 49ers are already said to be the favorite (if Washington lets him go finally).

I would put money on the Patriots franchising Garoppolo.

There is a 0% chance Brees would ever consider signing with a team that is in our current situation.

Bradford and Bridgewater are both major injury risks. If Bridgewater can play this season and look competent he is an interesting option (but my guess is that the Vikings would try to keep him). Teddy Bridgewater is somehow only 25 years old (he turns 25 on November 10th).

Alex Smith is probably the best, most realistic option of this group. But, again, I have a hard time seeing him going to a team that is perpetually very stinky when there are so many better options.

A.J. McCarron, if we still have Hue Jackson, seems like the best bet out of this group. No one knows how good he is, but I don't think the ceiling is very high.

I think Tyrod Taylor is pretty good and I don't see Buffalo letting him go after exceeding expectations this season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No more excuses.

That depends on the Qb available in the draft in my opinion

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
j/c

just being realistic (in my own opinion) ... but there's NO WAY I'd ever sign here as a FA, especially as a QB. Pick any other NFL team and I'd rather be with them honestly.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Cousins would be my top choice regardless of who declares for the draft - probably followed by Alex Smith.

I'd offer them so much money it'd be ridiculously hard to turn down and share with them the plan for getting them the tools they need to succeed, give them input - and even offer to develop the offence to lean towards their skill set. 5 top 60 draft picks .... LT of the future regardless of what JT decides, a 1st round WR .... Njoku. Devalave and Treggs are all in place. Corey Coleman is a nice 'what if he comes back and plays like a stud' - Gordon as another 'imagine if he is 85% of what he was' .... Keep Hue and the FO all in place. The addition of a Peyton Manning or such would add immediate legitimacy too imo

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1339443 10/23/17 07:32 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

--The Browns are probably going to have the leaague's worst record AGAIN.

--They are probably going to fire the guy who has the most respect league-wide in Hue.

--They have a lawyer and baseball guy making decisions and getting free passes.

--They cut good players and let other good players walk in FA.

--Why in the hell would any qb worth a damn come to this dumpster fire?

mgh888 #1339445 10/23/17 07:36 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
My guess is that the analytics will also say to back up the Brinks truck, unload it, and then back up the next one for a legit, franchise QB.

I really really hope that these two teams have forgotten how hard it is to find a legit QB, and let these guys hit the market.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R

Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

Kirk or Jimmy are good pickups. I could see both getting franchised but would pay handsomely for either.

I don't think Drew Brees will play anywhere besides New Orleans. He is so spoiled and worshiped there it's unbelieveable.

Teddy just came off a major surgery and missed a season so isn't he still under contract? I don't see them releasing him until they kick the tires on him. Plus, he hates Cleveland and would never play here.

Bradford just had a potentially career ending injury.

Alex Smith I doubt leaves his sweet set up but if he did I'd pay for his services in a heartbeat and STILL draft a QB to develop under him.

AJ and Tyrod are just garbage the same as what we already have. IMHO.

C
Legend
Legend
C

I don't know about McCarron, but Tyrod Taylor is miles better than anyone on our team. He is a league average QB.

cfrs15 #1339661 10/23/17 11:16 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I don't know about McCarron, but Tyrod Taylor is miles better than anyone on our team. He is a league average QB.

Where do u get this from? ...

U said earlier Buffalo is happy with him ...

Do u actually watch other games? ... how much have u seen him play this year? ...

DiamDawg #1339665 10/23/17 11:19 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Where do u get this from? ...

U said earlier Buffalo is happy with him ...

Do u actually watch other games? ... how much have u seen him play this year? ...

It's more based on how horrible our QBs are and how horrible many QBs in the league there are. League average is worse than it usually is.

cfrs15 #1339672 10/23/17 11:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Tyrod Taylor held the ball longer than any other qb last year. Kessler was second worst.

Having Taylor and Kessler is probably not a good plan.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Tyrod Taylor held the ball longer than any other qb last year. Kessler was second worst.

Having Taylor and Kessler is probably not a good plan.

Like I said, I don't think Taylor is good. He is just an upgrade over the crap we have right now.

cfrs15 #1339676 10/23/17 11:26 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks for answering ...

2nd String
2nd String
We never had a shot at Goff but man I wanted wentz ...

To me we only have 2 options if Darnold goes back.

Cousins or Garoppolo. I don't think Hue has enough time left to develop a new draft pick. Also, we need to pick up our future LT and we need some big physical WR who have soft hands.

Anyone know if there are any top tier LT prospects coming out this next draft?

CONNOR WILLIAMS, LT, Texas

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I am mad at the front office for passing on good quarterbacks, but many of the more "informed" posters here have done the same thing. Derek Carr wasn't going to be good because he played at a small school and his brother sucked. Carson Wentz only started 12 games for a tiny school, and hence couldn't be any good. Couch potatoes who knew no more than I could see Goff, Trubisky, Watson and anyone else we passed on was not worth our coveted high pick because they spotted a flaw in their delivery. It is always "None of these quarterbacks are worth more than a two or a three." We're like the guy who finds a flaw in every girl and ends up without a date on prom night. And in that scenario, we're Comic Book Guy, not Prince Charming.
Sashi needs to draft whomever the consensus draftniks say is the best quarterback available and just commit to him. Not a second or third round reach and not a retread.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

draft 2 CB's, 2 safeties, 4 WR's...draft a QB the next year, those sum bitches can't hide forever.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
The Big G #1339771 10/24/17 07:58 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Gee, great analysis. Giving the FO a break because some posters on a message board didn't like certain QBs. LMAO

Psssttttt.......this just in. Guys on the message board aren't making huge money and do not have all the resources available to them like the guys in the FO.

Y'all never cease to amaze me. And two people actually "liked" that post.

cfrs15 #1339866 10/24/17 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

I don't think Cousins would even consider us. The 49ers are already said to be the favorite (if Washington lets him go finally).

I would put money on the Patriots franchising Garoppolo.

There is a 0% chance Brees would ever consider signing with a team that is in our current situation.

Bradford and Bridgewater are both major injury risks. If Bridgewater can play this season and look competent he is an interesting option (but my guess is that the Vikings would try to keep him). Teddy Bridgewater is somehow only 25 years old (he turns 25 on November 10th).

Alex Smith is probably the best, most realistic option of this group. But, again, I have a hard time seeing him going to a team that is perpetually very stinky when there are so many better options.

A.J. McCarron, if we still have Hue Jackson, seems like the best bet out of this group. No one knows how good he is, but I don't think the ceiling is very high.

I think Tyrod Taylor is pretty good and I don't see Buffalo letting him go after exceeding expectations this season.

I agree.

We need to take the top QB in the draft and move on.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah when they start paying me a seven figure salary to find a franchise QB, then compare me to the FO.

And even I wanted Wentz.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

--The Browns are probably going to have the leaague's worst record AGAIN.

--They are probably going to fire the guy who has the most respect league-wide in Hue.

--They have a lawyer and baseball guy making decisions and getting free passes.

--They cut good players and let other good players walk in FA.

--Why in the hell would any qb worth a damn come to this dumpster fire?

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but it kind of seems like a which came first the chicken or the egg situation. Are they bad because the team is bad? Or is the team bad because they are bad?

The team was bad before they got here which has me leaning that way, I.e, the team being bad is the root of our problem.

Your last argument and the "let them walk" argument tie together. What QB would want to sign here? Well, what FA would want to re-sign here? As has been said, "You play to win the game." Due to the team being bad, they start at a disadvantage (as far as FA) despite supposed parity.

They have to settle for declining players or grossly overpaying. In most cases, both, which only makes us worse in the long run. Even when it comes to cuts, they are at a disadvantage because a player not playing up to his contract is more willing to renegotiate with a winning team.

We should probably just avoid FA altogether.

Classifying DePodesta as a "baseball" guy seems somewhat disingenuous. He was a "football" guy first, but football wasn't ready to dive that deeply into analytics, so he went where the opportunity was. You post about football, basketball, and baseball. I don't see any reason he couldn't know about 2 sports. Plus, what decisions are you attributing to him?

I agree with the worst record comment. Not much to debate there.

The whole Hue and respect thing I'm not sure any more. I can't help but think of "you are what your record says you are."

Bleh, the Browns are depressing.

Sorry for the rambling, I think I just needed to vent.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What if? QBs

Link Copied to Clipboard